From Washington to Washington.

When I sit and think back about how much my life has changed in the past few years, it’s honestly hard for me to wrap my mind around.  I’ve gotten married, changed careers, went back to school, lived in three states, gotten pregnant – I feel like a different person than I was three years ago.

The funny part is, I actually hate change.  I like things that are familiar and consistent.  But as my life has changed so drastically recently, I am learning to start embracing change and seeing new opportunities instead of always dwelling on what is left behind.

And so another change is on the horizon.  We are moving.  Again.

Trust me, I can’t really believe it either.  This change has been tough emotionally because I am so completely in love with where we live.  But as I am learning at my wise old age of 30, sometimes life has other plans for us.

The same week that I found out I was pregnant, Casey was called out of the blue with a very good job offer.  He wasn’t looking for a job, and we weren’t even considering moving – we have only been in this area for 7 months!  And then suddenly there it was – a great company, offering an impressive job, with great benefits (which we need now more than ever).

The only potential drawback?  This job would require a move.  A big one.  Across the country.  To SEATTLE!

We tucked it in the back of our minds for a few weeks, and tried to weigh our emotions and immediate wants against our long term goals and what we knew was more responsible.  Ultimately, as surreal as it feels, we knew this decision was bigger than us.  We have someone else to think about now, and we’re considering this our first major decision of responsible parenting.

I lived in one zip code for the first 28 years of my life, so it is hard for me to believe that I will now be changing time zones.  But as of last week when the offer was finalized, that is the official decision.

We are moving to Seattle!

And so I’ll be saying goodbye to my favorite King Street farmers market…

But finding new ones, like world famous Pike Place!

And while one of my favorite things about Old Town has always been our proximity to the water…

In Seattle I will be surrounded by Lake Washington, the Puget Sound, and many other gorgeous waterfronts – with mountains in the distance!

And while I will surely miss sunny picnics under the Washington Monument…

We will enjoy the Space Needle and all the other gorgeous things that Seattle has to offer.

I would be lying if I told you that this was easy for me, especially given my raging pregnancy hormones and emotions.  I am truly in love with Old Town Alexandria and the DC area, and while it absolutely feels like the right place for us, it’s just not right now.  I really hope that down the road we find ourselves back in the DC area at some point.

In the meantime, I am working hard to embrace the great opportunity we’ve been given with Casey’s new job, and I’m excited to learn more about our new city!  Seattle is surrounded by water, full of amazing vegetarian food, and it is a healthy and active city.

In just a short bit of time, I have made great friends here in Virginia, and I’m crossing my fingers that there are new friends waiting for me in Seattle!  In the meantime, I have a LOT of friends heading into DC this weekend for the National Marathon.  It should be a fun weekend, and a great way to take advantage of this great city while we are still here.  We will most likely move in the middle of May, and I plan to pack as much DC love in as possible while we are still here.

Thank you guys so much for continuing to support us as our lives take so many twists and turns.  No matter where we live, with all your love and well wishes, I feel like I have friends everywhere.

Stacy @ Every Little Thing     at 12:02 pm

Wow, congrats!! You will flourish with this move, guaranteed. Seattle has so much going for it for us foodies that you’ll fit right in!

Lee     at 12:03 pm

Oh wow! This definitely has been quite the year for you. Good luck with your move! I’m sure you will love Washington State as much as you love Washington, DC. And if you don’t, you can always move back, right?

Rachel @ EatMoreMeatLess     at 12:04 pm

Wow. I’m so happy to hear that he was offered a fabulous job. We are all thinking of you and pushing for great things to go your way. Stay positive and everything will work out! Looking forward to hearing about your journeys in Seattle :)

Lauren     at 12:04 pm

That is so exciting! I know it’s got to be nerve-wracking but atleast you are moving somewhere AWESOME!

Katie KS     at 12:05 pm

Good luck! Sounds like a great opportunity. And Seattle seems like the perfect place to raise a health-conscious family. I bet the grandparents are going to be sad that you’re a flight instead of a drive away though!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing     at 12:05 pm

Emily, what an example you set by being honest about and selfless in your decisions! I love that you are already being such a caring parent. It’s hard to admit that a change is difficult, especially when you are in the middle of so much transition already! But you deal with everything so gracefully, it’s just beautiful. I hope you are able to fall in love with Seattle quickly, and look forward to reading about your adventures (and family expansion!) in your new home :)

Amy     at 12:06 pm

Oh my goodness– congratulations & lots of good wishes to you in this time of change :)You have such a peaceful & positive outlook on this– I know you will fall in love with a new city & make it “your own” in no time at all!

Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique     at 12:06 pm

Wow that’s huge news! I totally know how it feels to move around a lot. I have lived in 3 states in the past 4 years. Moving is exhausting, but I am sure you will get through it and learn to love Seattle just as much as DC. I have heard nothing but great things! Best of luck to you and your family of 4 (soon to be 5)!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 12:06 pm

Congratulations for you family! What a great opportunity! I have discovered, you roll with the punches with life. There will be goods and bads, but they will be memories worth having. I’m sure you will find new adventures in Seattle! It’s definitely a food city to love!

Hollie     at 12:06 pm

How exciting for your little family!! My sister in law lives in Seattle and I have visited once- it was lots of fun, and great food. :)

Sarah @ The Strength of Faith     at 12:07 pm

Congratulations! I kind of feel your pain – my husband and I moved from Georgia to Connecticut in December … only for me to land a really great job in Massachusetts. I’m writing this comment from the floor of my home office in Connecticut because everything is packed up. Nothing like two moves in less than four months, right? I’ll be cheering you guys on!

Tricia     at 12:07 pm

Congrats Emily! Wow – you really have had a lot of changes in the last few years! I’m sure this one will turn out great! : )

Sammy     at 12:07 pm

I wish I were you. I work here in Old Town and moved FROM Seattle in 2006. I miss it so much!

It’s been fun to read about your adventures here where I currently am, and it’ll be just as wonderful to read about where I want to be in Seattle.

♥ Life is full of new opportunities. I think this is wonderful.

Megan (Running Foodie)     at 12:08 pm

Emily, you will LOVE Seattle! Next to DC, it is one of my favorite places to visit and is a total foodie paradise! Congratulations :)

Becky Reply:

I agree. I know change is really difficult, but I think you will end up loving Seattle. It is one of the few American cities were I would consider living. It’s a fantastic, manageable size without being either overwhelming or boring, the food is great, and the outdoors is literally on your doorstep, whether that is water, mountains, or both.

Valerie     at 12:08 pm

Congrats! My bf and I recently moved from northern Virginia to Seattle. It’s a tough move but it’s great out here!

Lynne     at 12:09 pm

Congratulations to Casey on the new job!! I know exactly how hard it is to pick up and move across the country to Seattle, because I have done it too! We lived in Ohio and Wisconsin before my husband had a great job offer in the Seattle area and we just couldn’t say no. We have since fallen completely in love with the area – it is so beautiful here (it really doesn’t always rain!) and it is a great place for living an active and healthy lifestyle. I’m so excited for you! Best wishes for your journey ahead!!

Amanda     at 12:09 pm

Wow what a surprise! Congrats to Casey and the amazing opportunity. I’ll be sad to see you go because we didn’t get to hang out a lot, but hopefully our paths will cross in Seattle or somewhere else sometime! I’ve heard nothing but good things about the city. Congrats again and hopefully I’ll see you sometime soon this weekend!

Clare @ Fitting It All In     at 12:10 pm

I’ve always thought Seattle would be a wonderful place to live with all of the fresh food! I can only imagine how difficult this was for you two especially given the other changes in your life.

I have every faith that you’ll love it!

Lisa     at 12:10 pm

Emily, you know how much we’ll miss you and Casey when you move! Despite that fact that your stay here was short, we’ve enjoyed your friendship and look forward to more fun times together. I’m sad that we won’t get to go through pregnancy together in the same time zone, but at least there are still a million ways to be in touch. And you’ll always have friends to visit in NoVA!

Jeromy and I wish you and Casey (and Indy, Huey and Baby Garnish!!) the very best of luck in Seattle, here’s to your next great adventure!!

Holly     at 12:10 pm

I’m jealous of your life!

Betsy     at 12:10 pm

Seattle is one of my favorite cities! You will love the food culture there! And like the other commenters said, you can always move back. I’m sure you’ll make the best of it!

Callie     at 12:11 pm

My jaw totally dropped when I read this. Talk about a lot of life changes! One of my best friends from high school lives in Seattle and she loves it (even though it’s about as far away from our hometown as you can get). I’ve heard great things about Seattle and I’m sure you’ll love it!

Maissa     at 12:11 pm

I moved to the Pacific Northwest (Vancouver, BC, about 2.5 hrs north of Seattle – COME VISIT!! it is gorgeous up here) almost six years ago now for University. I stayed after graduating because I cannot imagine living anywhere other than this beautiful, green, water and mountain surrounded part of the world. No where else can you go skiing one day, kayaking the next, and hiking through the most beautiful forests the next.

I am so excited for you guys. You will n

Clare Reply:

Ditto! my hubby and I lived in Vancouver for two years before moving back to Ontario (right before our first baby was born). Although we love living near our family, we will always miss and treasure the time we spent on the West coast ( we got married out there ). Beautiful forests, hiking, the ocean…you are SO lucky to be settling in such a magical part of the world. We used to drive to Seattle all the time when we lived there…it has such a great vibe and I’m sure you’ll be happy there!

Ali Reply:

Another cheer for Vancouver! I moved here from eastern Canada and although I find the winters hard (I prefer cold and snow to mild and drizzly), the opportunities for fun outdoor things are truly endless. We’ve probably only got another year here (we’re students), and it’s so hard to imagine living anywhere else…Good luck with the move!!

mirlun5     at 12:12 pm

How exciting Emily! Congrats! I have to say though, selfishly, I am very sad! I moved to DC around the same time you did (lived in the same place for 25 yrs) and have grown accustomed to this great area through Daily Garnish! It is the first thing I read when I turn on the computer and normally rush out to see whatever site or place you talked about. (Buzz is my new fav. bakery!) Every time I would walk around in Old Town, I would tease my husband that if I saw you, I would probably be star struck!:)
I can’t wait to read about your new adventures in Seattle! Best of luck!

PS: We are currently house hunting in the Alexandria area, and you will have no problem selling your home! A great kitchen is hard to find! :)

Alex     at 12:12 pm

Seattle is a wicked place! You’ll be close to Vancouver (where I spent the best 2 years of my life), close to the mountain, close to beautiful towns like Portland, Eugene and Astoria (amongst other), and flights to Hawaii are cheap from Seattle ;)
And people are seriously chilled out out there.
Make sure to check out the Ballard area, it’s really cute and mellow, if I moved to Seattle this would be my neighbourhood of choice!

Maissa     at 12:12 pm

I am so excited for you guys. You will not regret this move. Moving to the pacific NW was the best decision I ever made.

Sarah     at 12:12 pm

SEATTLE! You’re so lucky. As someone who lived just north of Seattle and now lives outside of DC, I can assure you that you will be so happy. Seattle is beautiful and so close to many amazing places. And has lots of outdoorsy areas for running (or for walking with a baby). If you ever need recommendations be sure to contact me. I’m not so good with local Seattle businesses, but nature outings-for sure. Start with the San Juans (Lopez Island and Orcas are my favorites).

Casey     at 12:12 pm

Oh my…so much moving, but it sounds like a great opportunity (health benefits are so important)! Seattle sounds like a wondeful city!

I’m 28, and I still wonder when I officially became a “grown up”. No matter how hard you try, you can’t stop life from happening! Embrace the change!

Kelly Reply:

Casey, I think the secret about adulthood that we as adults assume can’t be right… is that we are NEVER going to feel like we’re grown up.

Or, as a friend of mine in Argentina says, “We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public!”

Susan Fine Reply:

Or, as Jane Fonda says, “We are always growing up.”

Marci     at 12:13 pm

Wow that is huge! I think it’s really cool to move around, exciting and life changing and exhilarating. I have always been a Texas girl but travel for short vacations a lot. I have never been to Seattle but it seems like a great and lovely place, especially for a family.
So are you not going to Eat Write Retreat anymore? I need a friend.

Theresa @ This is my Hungry Face     at 12:13 pm

Congratulations! It sounds like such a great opportunity for you guys. I wish you guys nothing but the best. I really hope I get to meet you at a meet-up or something before you head cross country!

Amanda @ Martinis At Six     at 12:13 pm

Congratulations! That is so exciting. I think you will feel at home very soon and it will be your family’s home with the new baby :)

Therese     at 12:14 pm

Wow! That’s HUGE news! I’ve learned to be a lover of change, I try to see it always as a new opportunity so I think it’s so exciting for you! Congrats!

Angie     at 12:14 pm

Wow, that is a big move! I went to Washington last year to visit a friend who lived outside of Seattle, and fell in love with the Pacific Northwest. The Olympic National Forest is absolutely incredible.. if you’re a nature fan, you’ll love it. So many hiking trails! It’ll be fun to experience your move with you, via the blog. Good luck, you’ll be fine!

Stephanie     at 12:17 pm

Seattle!! I tend to lurk, but I wanted to come out and welcome you to my second home!! Seattle will be good to you and Casey, I promise!

Kristina     at 12:17 pm

Wow what news! You will love it here on the West Coast. I live in Victoria, British Columbia (come visit! Very active, tons of vegan/vegetarian spots, and we have a man dressed as Darth Vador playing the violin on street corners!!) and have absolutely fallen in love with it, and I can’t imagine Seattle to be much different. But good luck with moving, and try not to stress too much!!

Stacy     at 12:18 pm

Congratulations! I have never been to Seattle but from all the great things I have heard about it, I feel like you guys will love your new home!

Jen @ She said. She said.     at 12:18 pm

Holy moly that is big news! Congrats to Casey on the job and congrats to both of you on a huge decision!

I’ve been to Seattle once this past summer and loved it. Based on what I know about you through your blog, you will love it too.

I’m excited to read more about your journey.

Congrats again!

Meghan     at 12:20 pm

Good luck with this change Emily! :) I know it will be a successful change just like the other ones.

Rachel     at 12:20 pm

Wow!! I know this all must be a lot for you two to take in…and moving across the country will not be easy. I wish you two the best of luck..but DC will be waiting for you to return :)

Caroline     at 12:21 pm

That’s great! I’m kind of jealous. I’ve never been that far west, but I’ve heard great things about Washington state. In fact, my dream is to go to grad school in Washington (next year?), just to try it out. I am definitely looking you up if that happens! I look forward to reading more about Seattle on your blog too.

Blog is the New Black     at 12:21 pm

Congrats and good luck! :)

Mellissa     at 12:21 pm

What a year of changes, but I firmly believe everything happens for a reason. Seattle will be your family place.

Clare - Never Niche     at 12:22 pm

You and Casey should live in an RV! ;) Just kidding.

I wish you all the best with your move and I know it will be perfect.

Carly D. @ CarlyBananas     at 12:23 pm

Congrats to Casey on the new job and good luck with your move. Like you mentioned in your post, Seattle is such a good place for healthy & active people. I think you’re going to love it.

Emiko     at 12:23 pm

Welcome to Seattle!

Amanda     at 12:24 pm

Wow! This is such exciting (and scary!) news! I personally love the excitment that comes with change and see it as a milestone in life. I wish you the best of luck getting through the next few months- it’ll be great!
As for Seattle- I love Seattle! I just moved to Vamcouver from the east coast of Canada (I’m now like 2 hours from Seattle) and I absolutely love this side of the country! I’m so sad I missed the last get together you had when you were down but I’ll be back to Seattle this summer I’m sure!
Congrats again- Yay this is so exciting!!!!

Ingunn     at 12:26 pm

This is amazing news (she says selfishly…) – you’re going to love Washington! I moved here from Norway in 2006 and I can’t imagine leaving (but I *would* like to live in one of the towns closer to the mountains so I can go hiking more often).

Will you be living in the city?

Shayla     at 12:26 pm

Wow congratulations and welcome to my neck of the woods in the West Coast!! I live in California so if you ever make a road trip to San Fran you have a friend here ;)
I’ve never been to Seattle but I’ve heard it’s absolutely wonderful and it will be an amazing experience for you and your family – good luck!

Kendra     at 12:26 pm

Your Old Town fans will miss seeing you around but good luck in Seattle! I have only heard good things about that city and they are lucky to have you!

Susan     at 12:26 pm

Congrats to Casey! I think you’ll love Seattle. I lived in the ‘burbs and always loved when we went to the city. There are lots of cute little neighborhoods up there. I look forward to hearing about your new adventures.

Maggie     at 12:26 pm

Welcome to Seattle!! Moving (especially cross country) is so hard for me as well, but Seattle’s been my home for a long time and I absolutely love it! Plus you’re moving at a great time – you’ll get to see the beautiful summer/fall before having to deal with a winter out here! Congratulations also to Casey on the new job! Great news!

Kat Reply:

I’m also in Seattle!! I’ve lived here on and off for most of my life and it’s still one of my favorite places. Great vegetarian food, great farmer’s markets, great food scene and exciting things are always happening! And, as Maggie says, May is a GREAT time of year to move here – you’ll experience our gorgeous summer and fall right away!

Liz     at 12:27 pm

Congrats on the great job offer for Casey! I’m sad you will be leaving us in DC, but you obviously need to do what is right for your family. When are you moving?

Jo @ Jo In the Kitchen     at 12:27 pm

Wow, lots of big new all at once, huh? Congratulations to Casey, and I hope that you’ll find your niche over there as easily as you did in your current neighborhood.
I wish you both well!

Gwen     at 12:29 pm

Oh my goodness! What a whirlwind for you both! Congratulations to Casey and best wishes for his new job and your exciting new home. Old Town will miss you! xoxox

Janene @ One Run at a Time     at 12:30 pm

One of my dearest friends in the world is moving from Cincinnati to Seattle in June – from what I can tell, you have a lot in common – maybe you could get together and explore! :)

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day     at 12:33 pm

Such great news! I know people don’t like to hear “I know how you feel”, but I grew up in Virginia and it will always be my home. Its where my family is and where my roots are. But, when I was given the opportunity to move to CA, I knew I had to take the chance. I had to step out of my bubble and I’m very glad I did.

Still, moving across the country is a scary thing, but no doubt it will be rewarding! Best of luck!

colleen     at 12:33 pm

Congrats! Hopefully Seattle has everything to make you feel at home. Hopefully you are getting a professional moving company to help with the cross the country move – they are a blessing to have. Making decisions based on what is right for the soon to be baby is what being a parent is all about. We made the decision to move back to the midwest from NC based on what was right at the time for our kiddos and our wallet. We hope to move on again in a couple of years.

Holly     at 12:34 pm

Yay I’m so excited you’re moving here! I missed out on the blogger get together when you were here before, so we should do another one when you’re settled in!

christi     at 12:35 pm

Congratulations! It’s hard to move, but it’s also hard not to love Seattle. I had both of my babies there and was (and am still) so impressed with the pro-mama culture there too. Food, exercise, great midwives/OBs…it has a lot to offer. Good luck!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat)     at 12:35 pm

Oh Emily! The DC area will miss you! I was wondering if you were going to move to better accommodate the new baby but I didn’t realize it would be across the country (!!). Congrats to Casey on getting the job.

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me     at 12:36 pm

Congratulations on the job offer. That is very exciting. Although I understand your concerns. That is a big change and big move. Change is hard (at least I think so!) but think about all the new friends you’ll make and new places to explore. It will be good. :)

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me Reply:

obviously the congratulations was to Casey but I realized it might seem otherwise lol

Kaytee     at 12:36 pm

My first thought when reading this post is “OMG! She can be bffs with Mama Pea” which tells me maybe I am a little too into blog reading. :) Congrats!

Claudia     at 12:37 pm

Oh, Emily, what a crazy year! I’m really excited for you though – I grew up in Seattle, and miss it every day. The city is home to some of the friendliest people you will meet and has a wonderful running community and the best food ever. Plus, the great outdoors! Good luck to you, Casey and Baby Garnish!

Sondi     at 12:37 pm

Congratulations! Just think – you’ll be able to visit Cafe Flora all the time. I live in Vancouver, BC and I love visiting Seattle. It’s such an amazing city.

Kelly     at 12:38 pm

Aw, Emily! What a big change in your life right now! I’m excited for you because I really love Seattle, but also because I hope you love it there. I can’t imagine what an emotional roller coaster this all is, but I truly hope its and easy and seamless transition for you. Brad and I are always saying we want to get back to Seattle for a visit (he has good friends there) so hopefully we can visit you too!

sallymae     at 12:40 pm

What an amazing time in your life right now!!! Soak it up because memories are being made:)

Amy     at 12:40 pm

Oh, how crazy and exciting! My husband and I moved to Seattle about 8 months ago, from our very beloved adopted hometown of Chicago, and while it was hard, we LOVE IT here. I’m a vegetarian, and the food here is AMAZING. We live in Madison Valley, just a short walk away from Cafe Flora, so I’m totally spoiled. :)

I haven’t been here long, and I’ve largely been a lurker on your blog, but if you have any questions, feel free to drop me an email. Also, I work/school from home, so I haven’t met a lot of people, and I’d totally love to make a friend!

Erin K.     at 12:40 pm

DUUDDEEE…Congrats but I was just moving from Seattle to DC and wanted to meet you!! (I was busy the weekend you two were here.) You’ll LOVE Seattle; I grew up here (left for college) and am sad to leave it again. I grew up and currently live on the Eastside so if you need help finding somewhere to live on this side of the lake I have some good knowledge and experience. I’m sure there are others with better knowledge of Seattle proper. Welcome to the left coast!

Eva     at 12:41 pm

Congrats to Casey!

Seattle is an amazing place and one I visit a lot so I hope you do lots of blogger meet ups there!

Brittany @ a healthy slice of life     at 12:44 pm

Wow, Emily! Your life is so exciting!! Good for you for embracing it. It’s got to be scary, but what an adventure!!

Amanda     at 12:45 pm

Wow what a big surprise! I know how it feels to leave someplace you love (it was DC for me too) but when opportunity presents itself best to embrace it. You’ll love Seattle too!

Carrie     at 12:46 pm

Last May, my husband took a job that required we move from Alabama to Maine with three little girls under age four. It was incredibly tough to leave my friends and family and it hasn’t always been easy but it was absolutely the right move for his career and you are doing the right thing too!!! Good luck. Having a baby will make it easier to plug in with other moms in your stage of life. Hang in there ;)

Lindsay     at 12:48 pm

oh, wow!!! How exciting!! I’m sure your emotions are EVERYWHERE (aren’t preggo hormones fun?! :)) but what an amazing opportunity and adventure!

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine     at 12:49 pm

Congratulations to you and your family. I absolutely LOVE Washington state. My brother used to live there and the people there are so nice and there are a lot of great eats out there!! Have a blast girl!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 12:49 pm

What exciting news! I know you’ll love i once everything gets settled down, but you’re right – moving straight across the country is some scary stuff! Just think about the little prune you’re doing it for. ;) Now the Seattle trip is making more sense. When is the approximate move date?

Lindsay     at 12:52 pm

Oh – SAD (for me!) But, exciting for you guys :)

Looking on the bright side, I have never been to Seattle and I need a friend to visit there. Voila – now I have one. Congrats to Casey on the new job!

Kelsey     at 12:52 pm

Congratulations to you and Casey and good luck with all of the preparations that come with a new job and cross-country move! I have lived in Seattle for four years and love it. There are farmers markets in every neighborhood, let me know if you want an exploring buddy sometime!

Sarah @ The Pajama Chef     at 12:53 pm

oh wow, congrats! so exciting :)

Wow, that is a lot of change! But I think you will love it on the West coast. I might be biased though, since I have lived in the Pacific NW my entire life. :)

Nicole (I have trouble with forward motion)     at 12:53 pm

Congrats to Casey on the new job! I wondered if something was up on your recent trip to Seattle. I’m so happy for you guys! I’m kinda bummed though because I was hoping to meet you when I’m in DC this July. Good luck!

Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan)     at 12:54 pm

Wow. That is such a big move! But it seems like you are taking the changes well :) It’s funny-just yesterday my sister and I were talking about places that have a more healthy lifestyle vibe about them, and Seattle was brought up! She says it’s full of cool places to eat and things to do!
I’m sure you will love it, exploring your new city should be fun and hopefully your appetite will be regular again so you can enjoy the food too!
Good luck!

Julie @SavvyEats     at 12:55 pm

WOW. How exciting and huge!! I’ve always kind of wanted to live on the West Coast, but I think we’ll be staying put for awhile…seeing as we close on our house here on Monday. ;)

BUT, Dan’s brother lives in Olympia and we’ll be visiting this summer–so maybe we can meet up!

Erin (Travel Eat Repeat)     at 12:58 pm

You just got here and now you’re moving?! :(

No, but seriously, this is a great move for you and your growing family. I’ve heard nothing but great things about Seattle and it seems like a great place to live a green lifestyle and raise a healthy family. This is awesome news.

AM     at 12:58 pm

Congratulations! Best wishes for your new life on the west coast!

Greg     at 12:58 pm

I lived in the DC area(Maryland side) for 19 years went to school in Orlando then came back up until 6 months ago when I moved to the west coast. I moved to Los Angeles but the west coast is awesome. Change is scary but a fun processes.

Cindy @ The Flipping Couple     at 1:00 pm

Oh man. You will LOVE Seattle! We’re actually working on a 5 year plan that will get us to Seattle! I grew up out there and am dying to get back. I know moving is SO hard (I’ve lived all.over.the.country) but it’ll be worth it. Good luck on this next phase of life!

annette     at 1:01 pm

congratulations to you and your little family!

Cindy     at 1:03 pm

This is so exciting! I hate changes too and just recently moved 8 hours away from home. It’s scary but super exciting.

Amber from Girl with the Red Hair     at 1:03 pm

Wow – that is a BIG move! Sounds like it’s the right choice for you guys, though. I live in British Columbia (about 5 hours north of Seattle) and I think that it’s SUCH a beautiful city and area – you guys will have to road trip up to Vancouver one weekend as well (another gorgeous city).

It will be a fun, new adventure :)

Erin @ Would Rather Walk. Or Run     at 1:04 pm

Congrats to you both! If I could live in a big city, I would live in Seattle. Maybe someday I’ll be lucky enough that MY husband’s job will take us there. :-)

Erin @ Would Rather Walk. Or Run Reply:

I should mention that the public transportation system is AWESOME and I hope you will go out to Olympia, WA for a weekend trip to visit the Olympic National Rain Forest! It’s beautiful and so different from anything Midwesterners like you and I have ever seen.

Taysa Reply:

You can take a ferry from Seattle across the Sound to get to the Olympics — I highly recommend ferry trips!

Colleen     at 1:05 pm

Congratulations to Casey on the new job! How very exciting. This will put you much closer to Ashley and all of her delicious sounding nut butters. I’m sure you will make new friends in no time at all. The two of you seem so sweet :) Good luck w/ the move.

Katy @ A Healthy Shot     at 1:06 pm

Congratulations! What an exciting adventure for you, Casey & baby to be :)

Are you planning any type of blogger meet-up this weekend?? I’m thinking about heading down to DC for the day for the festival!

Chase     at 1:10 pm

Congratulations to Casey on his new job! You guys will flourish wherever you go. Come visit us often!

Amanda @ The Beauty Notebooks     at 1:14 pm

Congratulations to you, Casey, and your little one on your upcoming move! Wishing you the best as you get ready to go across the country!

Elisabeth     at 1:17 pm

Congratulations to Casey on the new job! I can completely understand your sadness about leaving the DC area! I don’t live there, but I’ve vacationed there 6 times & it’s my favorite area of the country by far. However, I’m betting you’ll make the Seattle area just as fabulous (I’ve always wanted to visit there, myself). Good luck to both of you (and the new addition!) :)

Rofomom @REAL life in Rofo     at 1:17 pm

Hi Emily!
That is VERY exciting and good that you’ll be moving before the baby is born. As a mom of 3 I can tell you that, especially moving to a new area, you HAVE to find and join your local moms club (http://momsclub.org/) You’ll meet other new moms and have an instant network of friends in your area. Good luck! I’ll be staying tuned :)

Meghan     at 1:20 pm

Wow! That’s so exciting! I’ve heard only awesome things about Seattle. Looking forward to hearing about the move and the new city!

Heather     at 1:21 pm

wow thats crazy! Totally threw me for a loop. I am sad for you because it is evident how much you love where you are right now.
I sympathize, I just moved to a whole new city and whole new area 3 weeks ago and it has been tough, but you will be so busy I am sure it will be fine! we moved b/c og a job opportunity, too!

Jessica     at 1:22 pm

Hi Emily – Congratulations! It is a big move but you will feel at home in no time. I live in Seattle (Sammamish actually). We moved here 10 years ago for my husbands job. We moved from Flordia so it was big move as well. We absolutely love it here. I have two boys (5 & 3). Please feel free to email me if you have any questions on baby stuff, housing, etc. around here.

Amber (Samblanet) Potter     at 1:27 pm

Emily, congratulations on Casey’s great job opportunity! As someone who also hates change, I completely understand how difficult and emotional it must be to be moving again. (This coming from a girl who hasn’t lived any farther from Cincinnati except for college when I lived in Dayton!) My brother and his family actually just moved back to Cincy after more than 8 years in Seattle. My sister-in-law is a vegetarian (although she’s introduced chicken back into her diet), but if you need any suggestions of good restaurants or fun things to do, let me know and I can ask them.

Good luck!!!!

Taysa     at 1:31 pm

I grew up in Washington state, in the foothills of Mt. Rainier, so I am a little biased, but Seattle is my favorite city in the country. I currently live in SF and have dreams about moving back all the time. Seattle is a really wonderful place for an active person and a food lover. There are so many great restaurants, the best coffee shops, and great escapes to get away and do things in the outdoors. You’ll learn to love being active in the rain :) and I promise there are beautiful, hot days there too. Definately make trips out to Mt. Rainier and the Olympic National Forest, as well as boat around the Sound. Those are my favorite things to do/places to visit.

Congratulations! Life is such an adventure–enjoy it!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 1:32 pm

Oh wow. That is a big change, but it sounds like an exciting opportunity that I bet will bring great things.

Candy (Healthy In Candy Land)     at 1:32 pm

It’s so funny how excited I got when someone I’ve never even met announces she is moving to a city very close to me and where I spend a lot of time! As crazy as this time may be for you guys, I hope it turns out to be the perfect decision. I think it will.

Paige @ Moxie and Marmalade     at 1:39 pm

Oh Emily! While I’m so happy that you are moving to a place with more opportunities for your family, I’m so sad to see you go. It sounds like this is a great decision for you all right now, so many congratulations to you!

I’m looking forward to learning more about Seattle through your experiences there! I’ve never been

Cait     at 1:39 pm

I’m sure you are going to love Seattle! It seems like such a foodie and vegetarian-friendly town. I can just picture you and the pups and the little one heading out for awesome adventures hiking and shopping for veggies. Reflecting on your past resilience is a great way to get ready for big changes and new challenges. You’ve risen to the occasion before and this time will be no different!

Mari     at 1:39 pm

I can definitely relate! My husband and I are moving from Boston to California in about 8 weeks. It’s been a whirlwind learning experience, so if you want any tips on moving cross country from what I’ve learned so far, email me!

Jen     at 1:40 pm

Emily,
You have unfound friends in Seattle. No doubt it’s a scary move, definitely a pain to move so far, and being pregnant to boot makes it even tougher – but once you settle into Seattle, I think you’ll like it. Not to say you won’t miss home or the east coast, but I think you will like it here. I think it’s a great place to raise a kid. I wish you lots of luck. Perhaps a big old Cafe Flora brunch is in order for when you two get here.

Kristin     at 1:45 pm

I know you will do amazing and make great friends where ever you are!!! You just seem like that type of person! :) I am moving in the middle of May too so I will be right there with ya!!! It’ll be a new adventure!

Tanya @ Vegan Faith     at 1:46 pm

Ohmygoodness. I am nearly in tears reading this! It just seems every time I read your blog lately you are experiencing some major life change! I am so excited to watch this new transformation in your life unfold. Thank you for writing your blog and for sharing your life with us! I am excited for these changes but sad. I was hoping to come to DC and visit you someday. It might take me longer to get out to Seattle. But it is definitely a city I want to visit. So someday… Congrats to Casey and to your cute little family!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 1:48 pm

Wow! You have a lot going on!! It sounds like an excellent opportunity and I’ve heard great things about Seattle.

Amy     at 1:51 pm

Congratulations to Casey on his new job! Seattle is an amazing city and I’m sure the Pacific Northwest farmers’ markets will please you immensely, not to mention the mountains. I live in Portland, OR and find myself in Seattle from time to time – we could meet up for lunch if the opportunity arises! Best wishes to you both on the big move :)

jen     at 1:54 pm

congrats to casey on the new job! you will love the pacific north west! you will love being able to run outside year round in warmer temps too i am sure. the rain does get draining sometimes. i just make sure i take my vitamin d consistently through the winter months! i live in vancouver canada so a few hours north but spend loads of time in seattle!

Tami     at 1:54 pm

I have always dreamed of living in the dc area I have been living my dream through you but I have always wanted to see seatle so I guess I am ok with it

Natalia - a side of simple     at 1:56 pm

I think almost everyone has touched on this, but WOW! Congratulations to both you and Casey. I know you’ll do great with the move and I’m sure you’ll adapt pretty quickly to the change. Now you need to start a Washington to Washington Journey series!

Jenna     at 1:59 pm

That is so exciting! I moved across the country from PA to Seattle last summer. It was definitely hard, but I absolutely love it so far- I hope you do too! Congratulations to Casey on the new job!

Carrie     at 2:00 pm

Congrats, Emily! I have lived in Seattle for my entire life. I am confident that you will love it! The summmers are lovely here, especially if you’re pregnant! When are you moving? It would be fun to get together sometime after you arrive. :)

Alexa @ Simple Eats     at 2:01 pm

I can’t imagine what’s running through your head right now, but this is so exciting for you. Everything is a blessing in disguise, I feel, so this must be one of them! Plus, Pike Place Market will be amazing to have right there!

Jenny     at 2:02 pm

Congratulations and good luck!

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe     at 2:02 pm

Emily – I am so excited for you and your little family! I can imagine that it will be a tough transition, but no doubt you will settle in and love Seattle. I’ve always wanted to move to either the DC area or Seattle – you are so blessed to get to experience both places! You are such a strong person, and I just know this is going to be a great experience for you and Casey and the baby. Just try and stay focused on the positive..I know you always do:)

Laura     at 2:03 pm

Congratulations! I grew up in Seattle and now live in Columbus, Ohio with my husband and I miss the Emerald City so much. It’s the perfect place for people with active, healthy lifestyles and a great place to raise a kid. Plus your dogs will love all the amazing parks – St. Edwards is my favorite :) Best of luck with your move!

dee     at 2:07 pm

Oh wow! Congrats on the move and the job offer you guys! I have heard so many great things about Seattle that it is one of the places that I would love to live in!

and a big huge (hug) to you Emily. as another person who dislikes change I know how hard it can be. and sometimes (ok almost all times) when big changes happen to me I have a break down but then I’m able to move forward.

I know you will do amazing in Seattle and make loads of new friends too. One thing’s for sure – I will be along for the ride! :)

good luck and sending only positive vibes to you and yours!

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey     at 2:08 pm

Congrats to Casey!
I had a feeling you were going to be moving… wow!
Seattle seems like an amazing place. We hope to make it out there in the next year or so to visit… it’s on our list!

I know this must be sort of mind-boggling right now, but hang in there. If anyone can make the best of a difficult situation – you can! :)

I look forward to reading all about your adventures.

~

Ida     at 2:10 pm

Your recent trip to seattle makes a lot more sense now. DC is great, but I’m sure you’ll love Seattle too. And it’s where your baby will be born!

Hayley     at 2:12 pm

Congrats! I also live in a suburb of Vancouver, BC and love it here (born and raised). Unfortunately I don’t get out to Seattle very often, but love it when I do. It woudl be great if you planned a meetup in Vancouver, let us know when you do!

Erin @ The Grass Skirt     at 2:12 pm

Congratulations!! I’m certain that you, Casey, the dogs, and the little one will be so happy in Washington. Best of luck to you all! :)

Cindy     at 2:12 pm

Congratulations Emily to you and Casey on the baby and the new job!!I look forward to reading all about Seattle! My husband and I live south of Alexandria in Stafford and we are really looking to rent a townhouse in Old Town by the end of May.It would be closer to where he works in Crystal City and so much more fun. We have 2 dogs like you so I hope we can find a place that will accept dogs but also has a small fenced area.
I wish you and Casey all the best!!

Chelsey @ Chew With Your Mouth Open     at 2:15 pm

Congrats on the move! I live just outside of Seattle and love it out here. From a food, wine, and craft beer perspective it is a great place to live! If it is any comfort my best friend lives in DC, and she loves visiting Seattle. West coast people are a bit different and everything is more casual, but otherwise I think the cities are fairly similar! Good luck!

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life     at 2:17 pm

Wow, I can’t believe you are moving! My heart breaks for you (because you’ve said how much you love Old Town) but at the same time I’m really happy that ya’ll have such a great opportunity at such a crucial time in your lives! Congrats Casey! Sometimes life has a funny way of working itself out.

I wish ya’ll all the best and I pray that the move and transition is an easy one!

Sarah for Real     at 2:21 pm

Yeah for Seattle! I’m in Spokane but have many friends in the Seattle area. I’m going to guess that you’ll find it a lot more laid back than DC overall. Hope you enjoy it!

Michelle     at 2:22 pm

My husband and I moved from Minneapolis to Seattle over three years ago, and it took a fraction of that time for Seattle to feel like home. I can’t imagine a more stressful time to have to move but once you settle in, there will be so many opportunities for you here! Congratulations to both of you!

Julie     at 2:31 pm

Congratulations Emily! One great thing about the PNW is the fantastic running weather. : ) If I could move anywhere in the country, it would be Seattle. Good luck and looking forward to reading about all your new experiences there!

Juli D.     at 2:33 pm

Congratulations to you both! We would LOVE to move to Seattle so I’m actually a bit jealous!

Rachel Jacobs     at 2:41 pm

That is phenomenal and sad all together. I don’t even live near you but I feel so close to the Old Town area just because of the way you describe and it and photograph it. I am sure Seattle will be fantastic and I hope that your move is pleasant and not wrought with too much havoc. Best of luck to you both, but I know that we the readers will be right here along with you as you trek across country.

Maryann     at 2:44 pm

Emily,
I had a feeling you were going to move but I was thinking closer to family due to Baby Garnish on the way. You are both young and truely health benefits are so important today. So I believe it is a good decision. Hope the grandparents feel the same.
Blessings

alanna     at 2:45 pm

As soon as you announced you were pregnant, I expected the ‘we’re moving post’ was in the works. However, I thought you’d be moving closer to family, not farther away. I’m sure you’re scared, but Seattle is a lovely city and amazing access to outdoor activities, tons of local produce, and it’s incredibly walkable.

Milica     at 2:46 pm

Yey! Emily moves to Seattle! You will love it, once you get used to the weather. I have been living here now for nigh on 15 year (22 in WA state)and honestly can’t think of living anywhere else in the States. It has great natural beauty and variety and it’s quite neighborhood oriented, each one has it’s own flavor. And, don’t worry, local farmers’ markets are huge here and they roam through the city each week, quite a few year round, in addition to the “big” one at Pike’s Place, which is really fun, but also a big tourist attraction and really, really crowded a lot of the year… We certainly have plenty of rain and clouds, but, on the other hand, you could not have all the non-stop greenery and the whole peninsula of rain forest near by with the moisture – so, it seems like a fair trade-of :)

Milica Reply:

Also, I forgot the other big thing here – running! There is an amazing number of runners and races in this city and we are very committed bunch – all weather, all seasons. I drive very little and commute my 8 miles each day either by bus part-way and then on foot up the hills, or I run, carrying my stuff in a little running backpack – and there are many, many folks who do the same! We all smile and wave at each other as we pass by.

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 2:46 pm

I’m sorry that you have to move, but I’m glad you are focusing on the positive. A sweet job offer like that doesn’t come out like that often, and I’m sure Seattle will be great! Like you, I’ve heard it’s a healthy and active city.

Plus, I’m biased, but the West coast is where it’s at! =)

Kath     at 2:51 pm

Sarah     at 2:56 pm

Emily,
I’m not sure how I would handle all of this fast paced change–but you are doing it with grace! Congratulations to you and your growing family.

sarah (sarah learns)     at 2:57 pm

oh my goodness! you’re so lucky to be moving from one amazing city to another! my fiance’s cousin is moving to seattle next month, so we may be out there visiting in the near future. :) i can’t wait to see where this exciting journey takes you!

Kristina @ spabettie     at 3:02 pm

YAAAY !! I think you will FIT RIGHT IN with Seattle – perfectly! it’s a big foodie city (I still like to think Portland is bigger, and only 3 hours south!!) and active too… running around Greenlake used to be my favorite thing to do…

congrats to Casey about an awesome new opportunity, and to you both on another exciting life change!

I warmly welcome you to the Pacific Northwest!! <3

Abby     at 3:05 pm

How exciting!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy     at 3:08 pm

Emily, I’m sure the big move is as exciting as it is scary. I can’t even imagine being someone who hasn’t moved further than 45 minutes from where I grew up. Alas, I’m excited to have another big blogger on the west coast. I’m down in Eugene, OR, but it would be fun to have a blogger meet up some day down the road with some of the west coasters. And Mama Pea is in Portland. Seattle is such a beautiful place with so much to do. I’m sure you, Casey and the wee one will learn to love it!

Brittany     at 3:09 pm

How exciting!
I’m sure you will grow to love Seattle, with the coast near-by etc. I myself have never been there, but i have heard it’s BEAUTIFUL, and SO green!
Good luck with the packing process!!

Leanne     at 3:11 pm

I’m so sad that you have to leave that beautiful kitchen of yours!!!!!

Also, you just sorted your office/bedroom out!

It’s funny in a not-funny-kinda way.

:) Seattle will be good for you. You’ll find amazing things to love about living there. Embrace the uncertainty. All that matters is you, casey & your baby.

Hayley     at 3:15 pm

Emily, I live in Seattle and absolutely LOVE it! It’s a beautiful place to be, and even though I am a starving college student it’s an awesome place for foodies. Depending on where you end up living, you should check out the Fremont Sunday Market or the U District Farmers’ Market- and then of course there’s Pike Place, as you already know. I’ve only been reading your blog for a few months but I’m really excited to hear that you’re going to be a local soon! :)

Maria     at 3:19 pm

Good luck on your move. I hate moving, it’s the absolute worse, but it sounds like this will be a great opportunity for you and your family. I hear Washington State is beautiful.

JM     at 3:19 pm

Congratulations to Casey on the job! That’s fantastic!

I’m sure the move will be quite a change but just remember that it’s an exciting new opportunity and I’m sure you are going to love it there. Embrace the change and enjoy the process. Congrats again!

janine@tratsie.blogspot.com     at 3:20 pm

Emily! Welcome!!! You will love Seattle just as much as we do, I’m sure :)
Let me know if you need a tour guide – can’t wait to have you as a Seattle Blogger!!
Janine :)

Jordan (Ciao Cow)     at 3:23 pm

Congratulations! I think you’ll really love Seattle! It is definitely different from DC, but the more time I spend here, the more I appreciate the incredibly laid back atmosphere of the West coast. Plus, there is so much to do in the vicinity of Seattle. I highly recommend Whistler, BC. It is soo, soo beautiful!

Rachel (Olalliberry)     at 3:24 pm

How exciting! Congrats to Casey. I love the Pacific Northwest, it’s really beautiful here and there is so much good food!

And maybe you can come down to Portland sometime! (We get a tiny bit less rain than Seattle, if that’s an incentive…)

Christina     at 3:24 pm

I know moving can be hectic, and I can’t imagine having to do so while being pregnant, but you can definitely handle this. This may be the next huge step in your life that will really round everything out. You’ll have peace of mind with ins but getting a better job offer just furthers his career and opens a new land of culinary questions for you. You get to explore a new journey, try to enjoy the tough parts as much as you can. Good luck!

Jeni @ stepping out     at 3:31 pm

Wow! Good luck on the move!
Seattle is a wonderful place! I would love to spend more time there and lately I’ve gotten really strong cravings to go back and spend more than a day there. :D (I visited on a 2 week road trip I took summer ’09)
I definitely understand the “not liking change” thing. That is me to a tee. Seattle is such a wonderful place though. I’m sure you’ll love it!

Liz     at 3:37 pm

I think you will love Seattle – it’s a wonderful city. obviously that doesn’t make it much easier to move though. I think you have a great outlook, and you will always have the support of the blog community wherever you are!

Sally     at 3:37 pm

I’m just going to be honest here… I started reading your blog about 8 months ago because I was getting very real about my health and nutrition and heard your blog was one of the best out there. I’ve been so inspired by you! But now I feel as though your blog has become more of a diary of your life and much less about nutrition, food, recipes and the like. I’m happy that you are so happy (pregnancy, move to Seattle, etc.) but I miss what I came here for. :-(

I’m sorry Sally! I think the nature of blogs is to grow and change along with our lives. I am definitely very passionate about food, nutrition, recipes – all of those things! I am just starting to cook again and get back in the kitchen to work up new recipes. But sharing my life adventures is also part of DG, and hopefully as the dust from all these changes settles, I’ll find the right balance again.

Jordan Wandfluh Reply:

I disagree full heartedly! I LOVE the direction your blog is going in because you talk about everything and anything and it helps me relate and be inspired about my future. I am so excited to follow your journey through pregnancy because one day I will be a vegetarian and pregnant and I am hoping to save your tips and tricks for that day to come. Don’t listen to what people have to say. This is your blog, your home and you make the shots!

I am also one who hates changes but I have slowly learned to roll with the shots. I have to remind myself daily to take one day at a time.

I am so happy for you. Congratulations on everything.

Krista Reply:

I have to also disagree! I love that you are sharing all your personal growths with us! It’s very exciting to read about. Please keep it up Emily & write about what you want to write about!

Elisabeth Reply:

I’m going to disagree, too! I love that you’re sharing all of your life with us, Emily, not just the food parts. I am someone who is also not very comfortable with change, but would like to make some big changes in my life (7 years since college doing the same, boring, third shift job). The tales of your big life changes are definitely helping me, so keep ‘em coming!

Sally Reply:

I’m so sorry if my post upset you or anyone else. I’m truly very happy for you and wish you all the best. :-)

M Reply:

No worries Sally, I have to disagree too….
I love all these personal posts by Emily- I am
a huge fan of them!
I hope she will keep’em coming!!!

To each their own, of course ;)

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 3:39 pm

Awesome! Seattle seems like a great place, my husband and I have thought about moving there before. I hope you enjoy it, i hear there are lots of vegan donut shops!

lena     at 3:44 pm

Woo hoo, so excited to hear your moving to my hometown! And you couldn’t pick a better time, we have great spring/summers. Best of luck to you and Casey on your move. You’ll have to have a meet-up when you’re all settled in.

RachelSD     at 3:45 pm

Wow, congratulations (even though you still seem shell-shocked)! Welcome to the West Coast- you’ll love it!

Shauna     at 3:46 pm

Hi Emily,

I spent 2 years in Seattle and loved it!! I’m actually planning on coming back in the future. You will do well in Seattle. I know it :-)

Alaina     at 3:47 pm

I’ve heard great things about Seattle (my inlaws lived there for a bit) and I have a feeling that you’ll flourish. :-)

Good luck with the move!

Whitney     at 3:48 pm

Oh, I’m so very excited to hear that you will be moving to my “hometown”! (Well, we live in the ‘burbs, but I work in Seattle) I can only imagine how difficult this cross-country move will be for you…..but, the sun has been shining for the past 3 days in anticipation of this announcement, I’m sure! :)

Would love to meet you once you and Casey get to town and get settled!

Snehal @ Chocolate-Cosmos     at 3:52 pm

Wow! Congratulations!!!
You will love Seattle. I have visited it and my best friend lives there, what’s not to like :-) The rain?? You’ll get used to that too.

Seattle and company with good benefits hints at just one company. The big M?!

Correct! :)

Snehal @ Chocolate-Cosmos Reply:

I work for them too, in the Bay Area though. Luhuve the benefits :D
Hope you get a chance to drive down to CA after settling down. Looking forward to meeting you in person :)

Lynne Reply:

We moved out here when my husband got a job there as well. Their relo package is top notch and I know they will take very good care of you! Can’t wait to hear more details!

Ingunn Reply:

My husband works for them too, our relocation from Norway went perfectly (well, except for the fact that I’m still sitting here without a green card). They take great care of their employees – great health care benefits for you and your future family addition! :)

Charity Reply:

I love this post! I am a native Pacific Northwesterner and I took work at the big M! Oh and I’m 4 weeks pregnant! We have been trying for close to a year and I am still in disbelief. So happy for you guys!

faith     at 3:59 pm

Wow, I am sure it’s been a really difficult decision but Seattle will be amazing. The West coast will open your mind and eyes in new and wonderful ways.

Jayna @ Healthy Living Bites     at 4:04 pm

Oh wow, what a lot to take in. Though secretly I’ve been hoping the next move you made (if you ever moved again) was back home it sounds like you are embracing this change. I think at LEAST one of our classmates from the ‘Nut is living out there if you want to try to get in touch with her.

Freya     at 4:04 pm

Wow, another big change!! That’s amazing! When are you actually moving? I’m assuming before the baby arrives?
Maybe you’ll meet Derek and Meredith when you get there :P (Grey’s Nerd here!)

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston     at 4:13 pm

Wow congrats Emily!! I’ve always wanted to visit Seattle, so I can’t wait until I see lots of pictures via you!

Brittany     at 4:24 pm

How exciting! Congrats to ya’ll! I’ll be moving in the next month or so. I know change is scary, but it can be sooo exciting too :)

Jessica @ The Virtual Scrapbook     at 4:29 pm

Yay!!! I’ve been hoping for this announcement (gotta love Twitter :)). I am excited! Hope we can meet up when you’re here! I’ll take you to Carmalita! If you liked Cafe Flora, you’ll love Carmalita! Good luck with the move!!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking)     at 4:30 pm

Washington DC and Seattle are two of the places I would like to live the most :) Can’t wait to hear all about it!

Sarah (Running To Slow Things Down)     at 4:33 pm

Congrats girl! I’m sure there is nothing but GOOD things in Seattle for you guys. It’s such an awesome place, with new places to explore and see. I have this funny feeling that you’ll love it!! :D

Kelly     at 4:36 pm

WOW!!! What an amazing opportunity. I’m glad you are being open to it. You never know what a great place like Seattle can bring your way. I bet you love it! Plus your family will have such a cool place to visit. I can’t wait to read all about it.

Little Bookworm     at 4:43 pm

Congratulations to Casey on the job! Good luck with the move! :D

Rachel (Olalliberry)     at 4:47 pm

How exciting! Congrats to Casey. Seattle is a lot of fun, so much great food, beautiful surroundings…

And if you ever want to come down and visit Portland, I can tell you that it rains a tiny bit less here than it does in Seattle, if that’s an incentive.

Brittany     at 4:47 pm

Congratulations to Casey on the job opportunity. It sounds like an amazing offer! I’ve always wanted to live on the West Coast and I’m sure you all will fall in LOVE with Washington State.

Best of luck with the move my lady!!

Betty     at 4:47 pm

Sounds like you have a built-in friendship circle already before you move – no fears there. You had alluded to changes coming, and I had this idea brewing (no seattle pun intended). As everyone else has said – congrats to Casey on the new job, and to all of you enbracing this great change – as long as there is water around, you’ll find your balance. Is Mom on board to come pack again?!?!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats     at 4:48 pm

Congratulations :) How exciting :)

Alice     at 4:58 pm

I spent one of the best years of my life in Seattle–ENJOY!!!

Vanessa     at 5:05 pm

Oh my gosh! What exciting news!! I’ve heard Seattle is an amazing place and I’m so jealous of the market there. Thats always been one of those places I’ve wanted to visit! Good luck with everything.

Allison     at 5:06 pm

Congrats to your husband! You will love the west coast! I’ve read all of the amazing things you have had to say about Alexandria — that is actually why next weekend I’m choosing to stay at the Hilton in Old Town Alexandria for the Cherry Blossom festival instead of getting a hotel in DC. The tourism office should pay you for all the promotion you have done for the town!! I’m excited to check it out next week – if you have any suggestions for places to eat – let me know :) I love reading your blog!

Julia     at 5:29 pm

Congratulations to Casey on the new job! I hope Seattle will be a wonderful new adventure for you and Casey and Baby Garnish!
Great job on taking all these changes in stride.

Jess     at 5:31 pm

Welcome to the Pacific Northwest! Seattle is a great place and this area is so beautiful. Stock up on rain gear!

Kimberley     at 5:36 pm

How funny! I just found out today that I got offered an awesome job in Seattle too and we’ll be moving out there in June. If y’all are renting at first, I may be hitting you up for some tips on places to live with 2 large, crazy dogs.
Congratulations!!!

Grace     at 5:37 pm

Wow, you are definitely one for dropping big news at every turn! ;)

Congrats on your move. I’m sure you will absolutely love Seattle. :) As much as I love living in the DC area myself, I know I wouldn’t be able to pass up that same opportunity myself. My brother lives in Seattle – it is absolutely beautiful. Yet another exciting adventure in store for you and your family!

Best wishes!

Colleen     at 5:53 pm

I grew up in Seattle and am actually moving back (from Portland, OR) for the summer before I head East to grad school! If you need any tips on neighborhoods with good schools and that are super family friendly, let me know! Seattle is 100% fabulous – I hope you’re nothing but excited!!!

Emily     at 5:59 pm

A huge congratulations on your exciting move ahead! Seattle is truly one of the most amazing places on earth. As someone who just left to attend graduate school in New York City, and thinks about our homecoming everyday, I am envious that you get to move there so soon, in time to take in the city, sound, and mountains coming alive again for spring! Please let me know if you ever need suggestions for hikes, trips, restaurants, contacts, and/or friends. I look forward to maybe meeting you there when we return in a couple years! Cheers to you and your budding family. :)

suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic]     at 6:01 pm

:) Seattle is such a great city. That’s not a bad move at all! Just make sure to get some rain boots.

Lauren     at 6:07 pm

Wow, this is all so exciting and has to be entirely overwhelming. I can’t imagine what you must be feeling, especially at this point in your life. I’m not so good with change either, but I feel like in the past 3 years, my life has changed in more ways than I could ever imagine. I guess it just goes to show how we have absolutely no control over our lives, we just have to trust that what happens is for a greater reason. :) And I know you and Casey will be blessed beyond belief with all of the incredible “improvements” that are about to take place in your lives. ;)

Debbie B. (DebaRooRoo)     at 6:18 pm

Big news!! Congrats on the job offer Casey!!

Kamaile     at 6:44 pm

Congratulations! I think you’re going to like living there. I have family there and LOVE visiting. Great place for the Baby Garnish to grow up! :0

Nancy     at 7:05 pm

Welcome to Seattle!!! It’s a big move and a big change, but you’ll love it! Green Lake and the surrounding neighborhoods are great for kids, families and being active. Lots of hilly runs here!

brandy     at 7:09 pm

congrats! I live near Seattle…it will be a new change..but a good one and your moving just in time for summer…summer in seattle is the business!!

Lacey Q     at 7:20 pm

Three Cheers for Washington! I’ve lived here all my life. I’m on Eastern Washington in a tiny town called Walla Walla.

Aly     at 7:23 pm

Wow, wow, wow! We have never met and yet I want to give you a hug!! I think you’re awesome, Emily!! A strong, courageous, AWESOME woman and mom!!

Nicole     at 7:36 pm

I am totally jealous! I love WA state and Seattle. My brother in law and sister in law are in Sammamish which is not too far. I hope you enjoy every minute of it!

Anne     at 7:52 pm

Congratulations! As a Seattlite, I can definitely say that living in the Emerald City is amazing :)

Beth     at 8:12 pm

Congratulations! I moved out here to Seattle for a job nearly four years ago and I love it! It’s great city with wonderful food options, beautiful scenery, and a culture much more relaxed then what I was used to on the East Coast. I’m sure you’ll settle in quickly. :)

Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit     at 8:24 pm

Congrats on the big move!
If you ever feel the desire to pop on over to Vancouver Island, we’re just a stone’s throw away, and boast tons of awesome attractions (like mountains, a historic downtown, and plenty of outdoors activities)!

JL goes Vegan     at 8:26 pm

Congratulations to you and your growing family! Such an amazing time for you!

Pure2raw twins     at 8:27 pm

Congrats to Casey on the new job!! But so sad you have to move :( But I do believe things happen for reason. Sometimes we do not understand them at first, but the one day it clicks. I know you will find happiness there. Best of luck to you both!! Now I know I have a friend to visit out in Seattle, a place I have always wanted to visit.

MCB     at 8:37 pm

Thank you for sharing all of your “I hate change” anxiety, and the pregnancy anxiety, and the new job anxiety and the moving anxiety. I like that I can read your blog and find a little bit of you mixed in with the healthy messages. I love it.

I too hate change. Hate it. It’s like the joke of my family. That being said, I have changed my job 3 times in 5, followed the love of my life all over the country, and I had a baby six months ago. So, reading about your anxiety makes me realize that I am not alone. And that it is all too normal.

You will love Seattle. It is an awesome city, with a lot to offer.

And I wish you the best with your pregnancy and the new addition. My little baby is six months old. I look at him every day and wonder how it is that he has just come into my life. It’s the best thing ever!

Jess @ Forever Addicting     at 8:53 pm

I know how it feels to uproot and move to a new city. In December, I moved from Toronto (my home city.. safe and familiar) to Melbourne, Australia! The transition to a new city, on the other side of the world no less, definitely had it’s ups and downs. Alas, it presents you, your hubby, and little bubs with a new and wonderful chapter! Seattle is also a very healthy city! I’m sure you’ll discover lots of great veg restaurants, markets, and other hidden gems. Best of luck with the move!

Ashley     at 8:55 pm

Happy for you and here for you..whenever!! <3 <3

Dad     at 9:11 pm

Emily, I am very happy for you & Casey, because the “M” job is undoubtedly one of those offers which can’t be refused, and I wholeheatedly agree with all the comments that you are moving to a wonderful city, which I think will be perfect for your lifestyle. I also commend you for recognizing that this was the responsible, adult decision, with Baby Garnish and the long term arc of your family life as the priority. I also believe that your blog is successful, and will continue to grow in recognition, precisely because you incorporate into it the reality of the modern, leaning forward bravely (if not fearlessly) life which you and Casey are living. I know that you will rise to this new challenge, and thrive in Seattle. God speed your move, and enjoy Spring in D.C. as you plan your adventure.

Amelia     at 9:19 pm

Wishing you all the best on your next adventure! I sure know what it feels like for life to be constantly changing. I expect another one coming up on my end soon. Eek!

Jill     at 9:42 pm

Congratulations! I’ve always wanted to live in the Pacific NW, I know you will have a great experience there.

Change is hard for me too, but it’s when we take risks in life that we often get the biggest rewards.

Lastly, once you are settled into Seattle and ready to do some local travel, you have to go to the farmers market in Portland, OR. It’s amazing and huge! I still remember the blackberries I had there last summer. Yum!

Abby     at 9:50 pm

Wow, what big, exciting news! A move that would really be tough for me, so I can empathize with you. My aunt and her family live in Seattle and I’ve wanted to live there ever since we visited them, years ago. Now that I’m an “adult” and appreciate good food, I’m even more anxious to go visit them again!

Congrats!

Allison @ Happy Tales     at 9:50 pm

Emily, I loooove how well you are embracing all of this change. Seriously, i am just like you.. and love the status quo. But all of this is just SO exciting for you!! Congrats to Casey on the amazing job offer, too! I can’t wait to follow you into yet another new journey!!!

kelly     at 10:16 pm

Good for you! I just love Seattle and would move there in a minute if given the chance!

Maureen     at 10:38 pm

Seattle is amazing! I grew up there, moved away, and moved back. Multiple times. Lately, I live just outside of Seattle on one of the islands, but it really truly is an amazing place with lots of vegetarian places to eat! You will love it! Really love it. Especially when the sun comes out.

Denise     at 10:41 pm

Emily, I am like you, I prefer consistency over change. I think it is incredibly courageous to move across the country! But it also sounds like a wonderful opportunity that you and Casey could not pass up. And the fact that Casey wasn’t looking for a job, and it landed in his lap just makes it more obvious that you HAD to accept the offer. The same thing happened to me once, and it turned out to be a huge blessing for me. I know it will turn out the same for you and your growing family. While I’m writing, congrats on the pregnancy! I’ve been reading your blog for a year now, and I love your honesty, ideas, and optimism. Good luck in Seattle!

katherine     at 10:42 pm

Congrats on your move, the baby, and Casey’s job! This must feel like a whirlwind — a happy whirlwind!

Though I have to admit be being a bit jealous! I’ve always lived in the same state… and moving to a different time zone would be such a fun adventure!

Enjoy it! I can’t wait to read about the next step in your journey.

LoriV.     at 11:03 pm

I live in Eastern Washington, about 5 hours from Seattle. I love Washington! We visit Seattle quite often, it is a great place! I think you will live it there, especially if you are able to live close to downtown. Congrats!

Julie     at 11:08 pm

Long time reader, first time commenter because you’re moving to my city! Though I’ve lived here my whole life, I am so in love with it. I could not imagine living without those mountains to see every day, especially Rainer. They make every problem in your life feel so small compared to their greatness. If you’re moving to the south King Conunty area, you’ll be in my neighborhood!

Kathi     at 11:13 pm

Emily, how exciting for you and your family! The rest of us get to see Seattle through your eyes and lenses. :) Lucky for us! What an exciting adventure.

Alissa @ Still Unwritten     at 12:27 am

Very cool! I actually just moved from Old Town Alexandria to Phoenix. It’s true, there’s no place like Old Town. BUT, every city has great things to offer and I know you will find the best in Seattle!

Julia     at 12:52 am

Emily, I moved to Gaithersburg last month (when I started reading your blog!), and I’ll be moving with my boyfriend to Eugene, OR in July for his grad school. It’s great knowing I’m in good company when it comes to dealing with change. Good luck!

Anna     at 1:08 am

Oh, you’ll love it here! I was a mid-westerner the first 26 years of my life but now never leaving! Welcome!:D

Nellie     at 1:09 am

Wahoo! What big news! I wish I could be there to welcome you to Seattle, however I am currently living abroad.

Seattle is such a wonderful city filled with friendly people and great food! I have always wanted to move back there some day to raise a family, it was a magical place to grow up in.

There are many great neighborhoods to move to, some for my favorites are Ballard, Capitol Hill, Queen Ann and Green Lake. Each neighborhood is filled with parks, restaurants, farmers markets and beautiful homes. Good luck with the move!

AMANDA (tomboythatwearsmakeup.com)     at 2:18 am

Congrats girl! We will be neighbours! I’m in Vancouver;)
Seattle is a great place.

Susan     at 3:27 am

Seattle is AMAZING, you will never regret the move!

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 5:47 am

Seattle is amazing. This is a great opportunity for you two!

Kate @ Naturastride     at 7:25 am

Congrats!! How exciting! Seattle is a wonderful city – I can’t imagine you not falling in love with it.
I have moved cross country 5 times in my life (army brat), and twice as an adult. Each move has changed my life in bigger and better ways.
Looking forward to hearing all about your adventure.
Love your blog!

Kerry Cloud-Pitt     at 7:44 am

Moving across the country from what is familiar and loved is a true challenge. My husband and I just made a cross country move ourselves (from Seattle to S. FL). Big moves are such growth opportunities, a way to hold so many different emotions! I know you will fall deeply in love with Seattle. From your blog posts, you are well suited for what the amazing city has to offer! Selfishly, I look forward to your posts from my true home, as I am homesick beyond belief for that FANTASTIC city! I know you, your love, your canine babies, and your wee one will find adventure and true home wherever you go! Good luck!

Parita @ myinnershakti     at 8:27 am

That’s exciting! I can imagine DC being a very hard city to leave, but I have a cousin who lives in Seattle (ironically he moved there from DC too) and he loves it! Congrats and good luck!!!

Kristen     at 9:13 am

That really is a lot of change in just a short time! Congratulations to Casey for such a “job score”! And good luck! I have always had this longing to live in the Pacific Northwest, so I look forward to seeing your pictures!

MaryBe@AccidentallyVegan     at 9:32 am

That is awesome. You are going to love Seattle! Congrats to Casey.
I am loving your blog so much lately! I never know what to expect. If we find out you’re having triplets I wouldn’t be surprised LOL!
Enjoy every second of your wonderful life

Jenny     at 10:15 am

That’s crazy, but exciting!:) Congrats on the new job!

Beth     at 10:33 am

Oh my gosh! I am so excited you are miving here! You will love it. When are you guys making the move? Well, now we must get together :)

How exciting!

Monica     at 10:36 am

Congrats on the exciting news! What a fun new location for this exciting next stage in life with your growing family! :)

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 11:37 am

Wow! I can’t believe how many changes there have been in such a short period of time!

I am jealous you will be moving to Seattle. My husband and I are considering moving to the NW within the next year–more likely Portland though.

Wishing you all the best!

afarmerinthedell.com     at 11:40 am

you will LOVE Seattle! Hopefully, you guys move in the summertime because that’s the best. Another great thing about Seattle, it’s close to Portland, another great city you should check out. The northwest is a great place to raise a family. That’s where I’m from and I love it! Food, food, and more good food! You will be very inspired.

Jennifer Reply:

DC is a good place to raise a fam as well.

Stephanie     at 11:59 am

How exciting! So many changes…but you have a very positive attitude. Congrats!

Katy     at 1:25 pm

Congratulations and WELCOME to Seattle! When are you moving? I think you guys will love it out here!

I also missed the blogger meet-up (family in from out of town!) but would love to go to another one when you get out here!

Meagan     at 1:27 pm

Congratulations to you and Casey! This is really exciting. It is kind of a bummer that you are moving from somewhere you love, but I really enjoyed reading how you discovered your new world in DC so reading about how you discover Seattle will be fun too. There are also some great culinary outlets in Seattle, so I believe you will have no problems there ;) The only issue will be convincing Baby Malone that there is such a thing as sunshine!!

Lisa @ Fit in the Midwest     at 2:54 pm

Congrats and while it is sad to leave a place you love living in so much, you have to do what’s best for you and your family, especially with the baby coming soon.

I loved visiting Seattle. Can’t wait to read about your adventures there.

Scott     at 3:55 pm

I suggest running the Burke-Gilman Trail. Much of it is close to Lake Washington and it’s fairly flat, unlike many of the roads in the Emerald City … though there are some steep roads at some of the access points to the trail. On the other hand, if you embrace the hills, you’ll get in great condition to tackle hillier races.

Devon @FastFoodie     at 4:17 pm

Congrats. I was born and raised in Seattle and lived there for a few years as an adult. It is an amazing city and you will be able to find your niche, I am sure. I have lots of running friends and vegan friends there and know lots of the ins and outs, so if you ever need advice I am sure I am one of many readers who could help you out!

Reading (and chickens)     at 4:29 pm

Oh dear! What a huuuuge change! I don’t know whether to say “congratulations” or “sorry.” maybe both? If it helps, Seattle has WONDERFUL farmers’ markets (not just pike place, but the u-district farmers’ market is one of the biggest in the state, every saturday, rain or shine). And if Casey is working for that really big company (my husband works for them, too), the benefits are outstanding. We’ve never paid a penny in health care costs! They treat their employees and families very, very well. Best of luck in the move!

Haley     at 4:59 pm

You’ll do great in Seattle! That is where my hubby is from originally (after college I asked him if he’d move back to my home on Maui and he gladly agreed), and I ALWAYS enjoy visiting. It’s such a conscious, lively city – and there is so much to do outdoors between the bike routes, kayaking, mountains, and running trails! I know you’ll love it. Great job staying optimistic! Life is one grand adventure =)

Krissy - Shiawase Life     at 5:17 pm

I knew it! =)

Congrats on the big news, I know you will love it there.

Katie     at 5:19 pm

Seattle is FANTASTIC! Especially if you’re husband is a techy like mine :) We live in Redmond near Microsoft and Nintendo, and it is the most beautiful suburb! Plus, it’s near Burke Gilman, a fabulous running trail!

Kristen     at 6:39 pm

I just recently found out that I’ve been accepted to a program at Bastyr University (yay!) just north of Seattle, so I’ll be moving there in September! I’ve lived in Missouri for all my 24 years and am so excited/anxious for a huge move to the Northwest. I can’t wait to read about your transition as I prepare for my own. Congrats to you all, and best of luck!

M     at 7:10 pm

Just an unrelated question here…I know you are a fan of hot yoga,as am I.
I know some pregnant gals that continued to go (with modifications of course to poses) right up until giving birth and felt great and had wonderful birth experiences.
Wondering how you feel about that and if you are going to continue yoga and in what format?
Thanks so much for your thoughts!

emily     at 7:54 pm

congrats to casey on the new job! i am also moving to seattle after graduation to be with my boyfriend. best of luck on the move!

Angela     at 7:57 pm

Welcome to Washington!

I wanted to chime in with a produce tip. In addition to all the great Farmers’ Markets around, there are some great CSAs. I use one called Full Circle Farm, which delivers straight to your doorstep and also allows you to customize your weekly or bi-weekly order online.

You will be getting here just in time for our best season – summer! Sunshine and pleasant temps! Congratulations!

Kristi     at 8:02 pm

Wow! What a big move, but it sounds like it will be an adventure.

Evan Thomas     at 10:19 pm

I’m so glad you put together the social event tonight before you move across the country. It was great to get to see you all again. And thanks so much for coming out and cheering today; seeing friendly faces in the crowd definitely helped to keep going.

Gina     at 10:56 pm

Emily, I am so happy that you are embracing this new and potentially scary change. There are so many exciting things happening in your life and my hope for you is that you find the beauty each present moment and welcome the unknown:) I moved across the country from MI to the Bay Area 4 years ago, which I absolutely loved, and then met a boy and that took me to Seattle after about 2 years. I didn’t get to experience everything I had wanted in CA, but I love this city more and more every day and am so happy that I moved and welcomed the new and unknown with openness. I just wanted you both to know that I am here for you, ready to help and be a friend in any way I can…Welcome!

bein good to me     at 11:23 pm

Your post was so incredibly timely for me, you don’t even know! I can’t thank you enough for your honesty and your perspective–you have helped me see my own similar situation in a new light, especially when you wrote “while it absolutely feels like the right place for us, it’s just not right now.” My husband and I are debating on whether or not to stay in San Francisco which I LOVE or moving back down to Long Beach to be closer to family for when we start a family. Although I feel, like you, that SF is the absolute right place for us, maybe it’s not right now.
Thank you, Emily. And welcome to the west coast!! :)
-Lisa

stephanie     at 12:30 am

Seattle is a fantastic place to raise a family!! We moved here three years ago and have loved it. Seattle is really dog friendly and has great dog parks, we especially love Magnuson. We live in Queen Anne which is like a suburb in the city with tons of resources for kid/family. Also, check out PEPS. Its a group of neighborhood Moms who have had babys around the same times as you. Really saved me as I have no family in the area. Also, many Moms referred Northwest Womens Health Center for a great place to give birth.
We now are leaving Seattle for Boston in May for my husbands job and I am 5 months pregnant. I’m sad to leave Seattle, but I am so thankful for the three years we’ve had here, it been a great opportunity. Now I feel its sorta easy to leave as the family is not too big yet…:) One step at a time, it willbe great!!

Katy (The Singing Runner)     at 10:21 am

Wow! What a big step! Best wishes to you and Casey! Life has all sorts of chapters and we always end up where we are supposed to be.

Pete     at 11:40 am

whoa, congratulations! beware the radiation over there =P

Ashley     at 12:56 pm

Wow! I’m so insanely jealous right now. Best of luck, you won’t regret it. The PNW is incredible.

fittingbackin     at 3:11 pm

that’s so exciting! I’m happy for you and your family – I have a few friends who live there and swear by it. I hope you love it too!

Kelly     at 3:14 pm

Hi Emily!
I’ve been reading your blog for a couple years – I found you when planning our own wedding in the summer of ’09 and looking for inspiration and ideas from like-minded ladies. This post prompted me to finally leave a comment. We’ve been in Seattle for about a year and a half, after a similar move from a place we loved (for school). Finding places in this world where your heart is happy is so important and they’ll always be there to go back to – this will be a wonderful move for you, there are so many great things in Seattle to discover. One of our favorite places to take our dog for runs or go for Sunday afternoon walks (after the Ballard Farmers Market): Discovery Park. Make it one of your first adventures in the city – you’ll love it! Good luck and welcome to the Great PNW.

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 3:23 pm

That is exciting! I hear Seattle is a great city.

Raewyn     at 3:32 pm

Wow – another big and exciting change!! Congratulations to Casey! :) I instantly felt for you when I read y’all were moving, because you’ve posted so much about your love for D.C. You are being very brave and “grown-up” in your decision though! I would probably start crying… and actually, this scarily coincides with my own possible situation.

I love that you blog about your fears and anxieties and then charge forward to overcome them! Thanks for inspiring me, girl. :)

P.S. I love the new direction your blog has gone…it’s grown, like you!

Gabrielle     at 4:20 pm

Wow, this was a big shock to read, but I think Seattle and you will get along great, just from what I’ve read. It’s such a good foodie town, and great for vegetarians and vegans! I am a little envious, though I’m not sure I’ll ever be ready for the Pacific Northwest (I’m an Atlanta person). Cant’ wait to read all about your big life changes – it’s all very exciting, and I’m so happy for the three, well, FIVE of you! :)

Simply Life     at 4:45 pm

I used to live in Seattle and will be back there during this summer- it’s a wonderful city!!

Erin @Hungry Times Two     at 5:05 pm

Congrats! My husband and I are trying to relocate from MD to Denver right now — I think you know in your gut when to go and where the best place to be is for you both.
Good luck with the move!

Julia     at 7:20 pm

Hi Emily! I am also moving to Seattle from Southern California (but originally from Iowa). I will be moving at the end of summer. I am going to dearly miss it here, but I am so excited to get acquainted with a new city! Hopefully meet you there :)

Rachel Mount     at 7:44 pm

What an exciting opportunity! There’s a yoga-focused memoir that came out this winter, Poser, that takes place mainly in Seattle…it’s an easy read, might be an interesting way to get a little taste of life in the area.

Two people have recommended this now! I’m going to download it to read on my loooong flight out to Seattle tomorrow – thanks for the great tip!

Angela     at 7:47 pm

Wow such exciting news! Congrats to you both for this wonderful opportunity. I can imagine the anxiety you feel- I’ve moved a lot in my life and it never gets any easier. I know you will get settled and find happiness in your new city too. I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason! It seems like fate that both pieces of news arrived at the same time. I have heard great things about Seattle and I’m sure you will love it!

Amber     at 10:27 pm

Congrats on your new move!! I live in Boise which is only about 7 hours of a drive. I absolutely love Seattle and have made many trips there. The west side of the country has so much to offer and has a ton of great races for when you are back to it! Good luck in your move!

Victoria     at 11:13 pm

Yay! I’m excited for you guys! We just moved here 3 months ago and absolutely love it!

Heather     at 11:25 pm

Wow, congrats on the move! Seattle is gorgeous and welcoming and, well, not too warm, but so close to so many historical and landscape and foodie goodies that I’m quite sure you’ll love making a home there, for however long is necessary!
Will miss your East Coast adventures, but look forward to being part of your national blog-reader caravan!

bitt     at 12:59 am

Hi Emily, I know you are getting a billion of comments, but as someone who lives in Seattle, I just want to say welcome and if you need any advice, I’m happy to help out. I’ve had some friends who’ve had babies here and I could get some names of doulas/docs/midwives and so forth, as I know that is probably where your mind is right now. I’ve blogged also about a lot of the fun vegan/vegetarian places in Seattle.

Lauren @ Color Me Happy     at 9:57 am

Whoa holy lots of changes, batman! You guys will love Seattle! Congrats!!!

Bethenie     at 1:08 pm

I LOVE Seattle and I am so jealous. I am out there all the time (my best friend lives there) maybe I can meet up with you sometime!

This will be a good change for you.

I can give you some good tips of places to hang out and enjoy.

Lisa     at 2:04 pm

Awesome news!!!! As someone who was born and raised in Seattle I can say that you’ll LOVE it. There’s so many cool things to do there. Do you know what part of Seattle you’re looking at?

Right now we’re looking at both North Seattle and the Eastside – trying to keep our options open!

Lisa Reply:

I grew up in North Seattle. :)

Eastside (like Bellevue) is super yuppy-ville. Like strip malls and house developments.

Leah     at 3:00 pm

If you have not yet read ‘My life in 23 Yoga Poses’ check it out. You’ll learn a lot about raising a baby in the Seattle area. I never heard of baby co-ops until I read the book! :)

Awesome – I will check it out! Thanks!

Leah Reply:

Cool! You’ll really love the story. It’s a great read even for non-yoga people. The working from home aspect, living healthy, adapting to Seattle life, moving, having your first baby…it’s all in there. :)

KC     at 5:35 pm

Seattle does have a wonderful variety of things that make it healthy. I moved to the Pac NW almost five years ago and I have to leave. I simply cannot stand the gloomy weather and lack of sunshine.

If there were more sun, and less rain/gloominess, I would never EVER leave. The scenery is indeed beautiful and the farmer’s markets cannot be beat by any other state in the country.

Good luck on your move and your new addition! So very excited for you.

Ella     at 5:49 pm

As a western Washington native (Olympia to be exact) I am excited for your move and would also like to congratulate you for stepping out of your comfort zone! I lived in the northeast for 9 years and was surprised at how few East Coasters had lived let alone traveled anywhere west. Broadening your horizons is always a good thing!

Tips from a Frequent Traveler. | Daily Garnish     at 2:31 pm

[...] we are finally safe and sound in Seattle!  If you are just catching up, we are actually going to be relocating here for Casey’s job, so we’re in town this week to house hunt for what is hopefully our next [...]

Camels & Chocolate     at 11:57 am

Congratulations!!! Wow, that’s huge!

Jenn     at 5:15 am

So sorry to be so slow and commenting on your move to Seattle. I have read later blogs than this and realized you were moving.
I see by stopping and reading a few responses that others who read your blog live in Seattle. It too live in the Seattle area. I grew up here moved away and moved back to help out my sick mother.
Greenlake is an AWESOME area to live in… my husband grew up there, and my inlaws still live there. I always thought if we moved back to the area, I would like to live there or in Ballard.
Thanks for you posts.

Laura T.     at 10:21 pm

im actually moving to seattle as well in the fall! ill be starting grad school at UW for nutrition, so we’ll definitely have to meet up. you’ll probably be a pro at navigating the city by then!

Creamy Basil Hummus. | Daily Garnish     at 7:10 pm

[...] I used a modified version of the base recipe that I made for O Magazine last month, and thought that adding basil might spruce things up just a little bit as I cling on to our last month of summer.  Or first month of summer if you live in Seattle. [...]

Weekend. | Daily Garnish     at 10:57 am

[...] up and at ‘em after a wonderful Seattle weekend!  Sunday we decided to hit up the local markets, starting with the one just down the [...]

Simple Things. | Daily Garnish     at 6:57 pm

[...] of my favorite things to do in Seattle on the weekend is go to the Ballard farmers market.  In addition to the many beautiful fruit [...]

Sutra Revisited. | Daily Garnish     at 9:59 am

[...] out of town, I thought it would be fun to plan a few date night dinners.  Our favorite spot in Seattle is Sutra, where we went back in May when my sister first arrived for her summer [...]

Weekend. | Daily Garnish     at 9:13 am

[...] things to do, and I was convinced I would be the only country fan living all the way up here in Seattle.  Turns out I was [...]

Weekends. | Daily Garnish     at 7:48 am

[...] was one of those perfect Seattle weekends.  Beautiful sunshine and warmish temps – very unexpected in March!  Cullen and [...]

www.slideshare.net     at 2:36 am

Today’s deluxe motor coaches make this an effortless trip. Despite all the recent doom and gloom about the economy, people still want to get away for a villa holiday in Spain to places like Mallorca, one of the Spanish Balearic Islands. Beach Resort & Spa ($555), Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa ($595), and Trump International Hotel’ Waikiki Beach Walk.