Morning Muesli Bars.

Muesli is one of my all-time favorite cereal substitutes.  In fact, I don’t think we’ve bought boxed cereal in at least a year.  Instead, we usually put a combination of rolled oats, dried fruit, nuts, and seeds together in a bowl – and enjoy it with some ice cold almond milk.  So much better than sugary cereal in my opinion!  And why not turn my favorite breakfast “cereal” into another delicious breakfast treat?

Morning Muesli Bars  (click for printable recipe!)

(adapted from Elena’s Pantry)

Ingredients: (makes 16 squares)

• 1 cup almond meal (or flour)
  • 1 cup rolled oats (use GF oats to make this gluten-free!)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/4 cup pepitas
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp ground flax
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tbsp almond milk
  • 2 tbsp honey

Instructions:  I spotted this almond meal on the shelves at Trader Joe’s last week, and wondered if it was the gluten-free replacement for peanut flour that they had claimed to be developing.  Even though I am still mourning my PB flour, the almond meal is a welcome addition to the lineup.

And nothing makes baking more fun than new cupcake-patterned measuring spoons!  A birthday gift from my little sis that makes me smile each time I use them.

To get started, combine 1 cup each almond meal and rolled oats, along with 1/2 tsp each baking soda and kosher salt.  Mix to combine.

Add mix-ins to make your favorite version of muesli.  I used dried cranberries, chopped walnuts, pepitas, ground flax, and chia seeds.  Make sure to chop any large nuts or fruit down to small bite sized pieces – otherwise the bars will be difficult to cut at the end!

In a small separate bowl, combine 1 large egg, 2 tbsp honey, and 2 tbsp almond milk.  Whisk to combine!  Usually I don’t use eggs in baking, but I really wanted these to hold together well, so I broke my rule for these.

Add wet mixture to the dry mixture, and mix thoroughly.

Spread into an 8×8 non-stick baking dish and press down HARD to pack it all in tight.  Packing the mixture down is key to getting it all to hold together well.

Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes, and remove from oven.  Now for the hard part – wait for the bars to cool completely.  If you take them out right away, they will fall apart into bits and pieces (trust me).  But if you wait for them to cool down, they will harden together quite nicely.  Once cooled, use a sharp knife to slice evenly into 16 squares.

What I love about these bars is that they aren’t too sweet.  The flavor is savory, almost like a scone – with just enough sweetness from the dried fruit and touch of honey.

Perfect for breakfast on the go, an afternoon snack, or healthy fuel before a workout!

At just 110 calories per piece, they are packed with nutrition, without leaving you feeling heavy or weighed down.  Just in case I needed a second opinion, Casey went ahead and ate seven of these last night.  :)

Enjoy!

Fallon     at 7:15 pm

I’ve been looking to make a healthy bar and I think I found the one!! These look so delicious.

rebecca lustig     at 7:23 pm

those measuring spoons are ADORABLE!! LOVE them

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 7:27 pm

I am with you on making cereal/granola at home. This is why my B12 fell too low and I have been sick for a month. Yes, I know there are supplements, but I forgot that I wasn’t getting my Bs from my cereal anymore. So, I always put egg in my granola/granola bars. These look perfect Emily!

Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan)     at 7:27 pm

I love the spoons! They are too cute :) I just have plastic boring ones, haha. I discovered Muesli last year when I accidentally bought it at a grocery store (I thought it was something else at the time!) and have loved it since! It keeps me full much longer than regular cereal would. Great post!

Sara     at 7:32 pm

Can’t wait to try these! I made your three-grain energy bars last week and loved having them in my lunch at work all week — SO great to eat a healthy snack that didn’t come out of some kind of wrapper and box combination. I was going to make them again this week but I think I’ll try these instead since I love muesli too.

When I made the energy bars, I couldn’t find millet anywhere so I took it upon myself to sub in rolled oats as the third grain. NOT my best decision ever! I ended up with something that was more like a bread pudding substance. I ate it for desert all week but it was really, um, unattractive. I learned my lesson and will follow your directions more carefully this time. :)

Glad the bars were good, even if they were goopy. :) Rolled oats are much softer – I can see how that would have happened.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 7:32 pm

I just made some similar bars that completely fell apart. Thanks for the tip that they need to cool completely! Wish you would have posted this a few days sooner. :-) Ah, well, the crumbly bars still taste delicious.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 7:35 pm

The only thing I could think of after you gave the caloric stats was how much Casey ate with these bars! Yowza! Guess he needed it for his 20 miler on the treadmill today! :) How much boys eat amazes me.

These look really good. I love muesli. I am always throwing some random nuts/dried fruits/oats in a bowl and calling it “cereal”.

He definitely burned them all off. Twenty miles on the treadmill is no joke!

missy     at 7:36 pm

cute measuring spoons. :)

i want to start eating healthier snacks and these bars look like they fit the bill!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 7:37 pm

Neat, I’ve never heard of using egg in granola bars, but I guess it makes sense as a strong binder. These look great and I have everything I need to make them!

Alaina     at 7:42 pm

Another amazing recipe! But I don’t think I have the patience to wait for them to cool. That’s my vice when making brownies. ;-)

Julie @ Shining From Within     at 8:09 pm

These looks delish! Im sure they’d taste amazin crumbled over banana soft serve. Im looking forward to using all types of mix-ins for these!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat)     at 8:10 pm

Ahh I love Elana’s Pantry! These looks great–chia seeds are my new favorite granola bar ingredient.

I just spotted PB flour at the Reston TJ’s (if you ever venture out there).

Lauren     at 8:19 pm

I tried to make muesli bars before but they turned out NOTHING like these.

Rachel R     at 8:30 pm

Mmmm I can’t wait to try these- great for on the go!

Have you tried the orange flavored dried cranberries from Trader Joe’s? They add a great flavor to my oats :)

That is actually exactly what I used! They are my new love. I buy like 5 bags at a time.

Susan     at 8:37 pm

These sound so good! I haven’t had bars in a long time since I’m trying to cut some packaged stuff out of my diet. Can’t wait to make these.

Clare @ Fitting It All In     at 8:44 pm

These look fantastic! Would have been perfect when I was looking for a bar recipe a few months ago, but better late than never:) Thanks!

Sorry I’m late! :)

Jenny     at 8:46 pm

This looks yummy! Bars like these are perfect for at work, not too sweet but they satisfy the craving!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)     at 9:09 pm

Emily the bars look wonderful!

And I am in serious spoon envy over your cupcake-patterned measuring spoons…TOO CUTE! :)

Jen     at 9:36 pm

These look great, adding to my list of things to make. I too am mourning the loss of TJs peanut flour :(

Brittfit     at 9:44 pm

I’ve got to try this, I LOVE Muesli!!

Cindy     at 10:26 pm

Those measuring spoons are so cute!

bitt     at 10:38 pm

I really wanted to make this until I saw the egg. We don’t eat them so can you think of a substitution? Maybe almond butter?

I would just make a flax egg – 3 tbsp flax to 1 tbsp water. Maybe up the honey just a bit to help hold it together a little more.

Sorry – Monday morning brain. I meant 1 tbsp flax to 3 tbsp water!

Nicole @ Vegan in the House     at 10:56 pm

I would be interested in how to make these without eggs also. Any suggestions?

Karen Reply:

I third this request for an egg-free option. These look devine! Thanks, Emily!

Sorry guys – I had no idea there were so many of you that are egg-free! I would just use a flax-egg – 1 tbsp flax to 3 tbsp water.

I would just try a flax egg!

Jess@atasteofconfidence     at 11:28 pm

Those measuring spoons are awesome!

Ashley     at 11:55 pm

These look deeeelicious!! Love that you used almond meal. I need to make some at home b/c TJ’s is the only place that sells it cheaply! I WANT those measuring spoons!! :)

AMANDA (tomboythatwearsmakeup.com)     at 12:00 am

Nice!! I might be doing a 45km trek called Frostbite 45 in Yellowknife at the end of the month. These bars would be GREAT to bring along on the trek

Sounds intense!

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 12:05 am

These look superfab! Side note: The word pepita aggravates me for some reason. Saying it gives me a nervous tic, lol! ;)

Rachel (Olalliberry)     at 1:02 am

Yum! I can’t get enough almond meal these days. And your measuring spoons are adorable!

megan @ blackberries for jam     at 7:27 am

These look great. I’m curious about the almond meal. Can it be made into a paste like the peanut flour? It looks a little more coarse, like it can only be used in baking. I’m still mourning peanut flour :(

I haven’t tried, so I’m not sure, but it’s definitely more coarse and mealy than typical flour.

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count     at 9:22 am

These sound delicious!! Thanks for the recipe, Emily!

Anna @ Doing Good and Living Well     at 10:09 am

Such adorable measuring spoons! And, I love your pictures – gorgeous! :D

Natalia - a side of simple     at 10:30 am

Mmm I want those bars, and those spoons! I believe I can’t possibly measure anything in the kitchen until I find them. They’re too cute.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine     at 11:10 am

Speaking of peanut flour, you can still buy it from the same retailer that made the TJ’s stuff!! I got a package of it this weekend and it’s exactly the same :) http://www.southerngracefarms.net/peanutflour.html

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 11:14 am

Those are super cute measuring spoons!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]     at 11:23 am

Why are you ‘mourning your PB flour’? I saw it at TJ’s yesterday…

I have the same measuring spoons :) This recipe sounds right up my alley — I’m a pepita lover.

Carrie     at 11:50 am

Thank you for posting this recipe. I made it this morning using a harvest berry blend from Aldis and also added 2 Tbsp shredded coconut. They were so good, reminded me of cookie dough.

Looks delicious!

Jen     at 12:24 pm

Hey there- the almond meal has been in TJ’s up here in Brooklyn for a year or more, so I don’t think it’s their replacement. And we still have the peanut flour (even though I freaked out when you mentioned they’re removing it and bought approx 97 packs of it), so maybe it’s a regional thing? :)

Jen     at 12:48 pm

So glad I bought the last of the peanut flour at TJ’s last time I was there because they were totally out of it today :( And confirmed once again they will not be getting more in. Once it’s off the shelves it’s done. So sad :(

Love the cupcake measuring spoons, they are so cute!!!

Teri [a foodie stays fit]     at 1:02 pm

ha! I just posted a muesli recipe yesterday! Now I need to make these bars!

Suzanne @ continuing my education     at 1:15 pm

Yum! These look great!

I believe Victoria (@distchocoholic) found the distributor for the TJ’s peanut flour…

Have you tried this?

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine     at 2:57 pm

Hmm!! I have a 5K race coming up in honor of my friend’s dad and was looking to make some treats for everyone on our team! This could be it!! Looks yummy and healthy!

Carin     at 3:30 pm

I’m going to have to try your muesli bars! I’ve been addicted to muesli for a year now. Have you ever tried soaking the raw oats in milk overnight (with a little pure maple syrup and vanilla extract)? It has the greatest consistency in the morning. Mix in yogurt, a sliced banana and nuts .. the perfect breakfast!

Beth     at 4:33 pm

Oh yum! I saw the almond meal at TJ’s the other day, but didn’t really know if that was the PB flour replacement or something else. I’ll have to give it a try!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 7:36 pm

Those look incredible! Perfect for a post nursing snack. I always have to have a little something on hand because nursing takes it out of you. haha

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 8:47 pm

these look so delicious! i recently made granola bars, these would be yummy too!

Nathalie     at 4:40 am

I just printed this recipe to make later (sooo looking forward to it!)and just had to tell you how brilliant your print/Recipage feature is! And I am kinda in awe that Casey and you did it all by yourselves! It’s so absolutely perfect, I love it! It’s exactly how I like to layout recipes with the good old word-copy-paste-edit-and-print technique ;-) If I ever, or better ‘when’ I start a blog I will definitely sign up for your Recipage!

Kayla     at 4:59 pm

Just made these and love them! They were super easy and fast to make and delicious. I think they are going to be my new pre-workout snack. I get up super early in the morning (between 4 and 4:30) to go to the gym and I have a 2-year-old and a 4-year-old and a husband who are still sleeping then, so I can’t make too much noise in the kitchen. :) I might start making a batch of these on the weekend so I can just grab one in the morning when I get up. Thanks!

Carol     at 8:56 pm

These were delish and so easy to make. How do you recommend storing them? Refrigerate, freeze ??

Tay     at 1:18 am

What are the texture of these bars like? Crisp on the outside, chewy on the inside? I’ve been searching for a bar that has that kind of texture for a long time. ^^;

They are relatively chewy all the way through – I think they are delicious! :)

Cait     at 7:37 pm

I made these a couple of weeks ago with a few changes based on what I had on hand- dried cherries and sunflower seeds. I also added some hemp protein powder b/c I haven’t been getting enough protein lately (marathon training makes me want to eat nothing but oatmeal). These babies came out great! I especially loved them crumbled over Greek yogurt the next day.

Nicole     at 12:11 pm

Love your recipe. Just made my first batch although i am yet to taste them. The squares are TINY (being greedy, I thought they would be bigger) although i used the ingredients you stated my fitness pal determined they were only 89 calories a square!

Nicole from the UK

Stay Healthy and Wealthy with Money-Saving Snacks     at 12:51 pm

[...] –Homemade Morning Muesli Bars (Daily Garnish) [...]

Around the Campfire in Charlevoix: Camping Chutes Fraser and My Camping Recipes | the rest of l'histoire     at 9:10 pm

[...] day, with salt and vinegar roasted chickpeas and sweet curried almonds for snacks. I also tried a new-for-me granola/energy bar recipe, which turned out to be a hit with the husband. I recommend adding chocolate chips. The evening [...]

Almond Joy Bars | Hummusapien     at 7:48 am

[...] -makes 16 small bars, adapted from Daily Garnish’s Morning Mueseli Bars [...]