National Half Marathon Cheering & Meet-up.

Saturday morning started out waaaay too early.  I was up at 4:30am with Casey, getting ready for a morning of chauffeuring and cheering on the runners!  Casey had signed up to run the full many months ago (before all our crazy life changes occurred), but he didn’t really do the proper training for 26.2.  Even though this would be his 7th marathon, I was feeling a little nervous before the race, since I knew he wasn’t feeling his best going into it.

We dropped the runners off and headed to our first cheering spot for the morning.  We headed back into the Metro to ride over to the Capitol area, and saw tons of runners still flooding to the start.

My partner in crime for the morning?  None other than the beautiful Caitlin!  She was injured and ended up not running the race either.  I was sad that her knee was hurting, but also happy to have a cheering buddy!

The two of us had some kick ass neon signs for the runners too, hopefully making us easy to spot!

Whenever I spectate for a race, I get a little crazy with it.  I always have an official map, time plan, and strategy all planned out for seeing the runners I’m following as many times as possible.  I planned it all out the night before, and we headed to our first spot right before mile three!  Soon after we got there, the runners started flying past.

We had SO MUCH FUN cheering in this spot!  I couldn’t believe how many people recognized us and waved hello – most fun race spectating ever!  Everyone looked like they were having a blast running.

And of course we were having a great time cheering.  We met up with Brittney (and old friend from Charlotte!) and Allison who helped us yell and scream.

A few runners even came over for hugs and high fives!

Casey ran past looking speedy – so speedy I didn’t even get a picture.  Booooo.  I was so busy trying to get us from one point to another that I didn’t get many pictures of the gorgeous scenery.  It was so beautiful watching the sun come up over the National Mall and Capitol building.

After an hour of cheering at mile three, we walked about a mile to the corner at mile 10.5 for our next cheering location!

Right on time, Casey came flying around the corner in his easy-to-spot light blue.

He ran over to us and I could tell he wasn’t having a fun race.  He told me he was going to go ahead and just run the half (instead of the full).  I was so relieved that he dropped down to the shorter distance!

Still looking strong, he ran past, and we adjusted the rest of our spectating plan now that we wouldn’t need to go to mile 19 anymore.

Best part of cheer spot number two?  Allison stopped by her office to grab a box if tissues and a HUGE bag of swedish fish for the runners!  Caitlin and I had way too much fun yelling “Come get candy!  Candy and tissues!  Sweeeeeeedish fish!”  I’m sure the crowd around us got tired of it very quickly, but the runners sure did love it.

After Casey, we saw speedster Anne P. go flying past!

Followed by lots of other friends.  We couldn’t stay at this spot quite as long, since we knew that we needed to pick up Casey and Nicole – who were likely already waiting at the finish line.

Look who I found when I got there!  (Please excuse the giant orange dot – apparently there was orange poster fuzz on my lens, whoops!)

All the runners did really well, and it was definitely one of the best times I’ve had spectating.  After the race, I drove Casey and our houseguests back home for some much needed lunch, long naps, and showers.  We were all SO exhausted from the early wakeup time.

Eventually we headed back out to Northside Social for a big blogger meetup that I organized for all the folks coming into town (with an extra thanks to Lindsay for suggesting the location!).

Inside I found old friends like Anne

And lots of new friends and faces too!

Evan rocked his first marathon this weekend – huge congrats!

And my favorite New York girls were there too!

A great night with well over 50+ bloggers there!  I was so glad the meetup was a success.

We wrapped up our night with Indian food and hilarious conversation, and I crashed HARD in bed the minute I got home.  It was SUCH a fun weekend, and it was so nice to have Caitlin and Nicole staying at our house – felt like a girls weekend that I haven’t had in way too long.

I love races, and I can’t wait to get back into it next year with Casey and the baby cheering for ME on the sidelines.  :)

Ali @ Ali on the Run     at 6:39 pm

Love this recap! You girls are awesome for coming out and spectating & it was so great meeting you afterward!

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston     at 6:39 pm

Such a fun time!! Congrats to Casey and all the finishers!!

Brittney     at 6:44 pm

It was so great seeing you and cheering with you Em! Glad we got to hang out before you head to the west coast! I’ll always think of you guys when I eat Swedish Fish :)

Jackie @ Baking Charms     at 6:44 pm

Yay for Casey and all of the other runners!! It looks like such a fun race – my sister lives in DC and I’ll have to ask her about it :)

Lisa     at 6:46 pm

Congratulations to Casey!! I wasn’t able to be there, but reading your recap and all of those of the runners gets me so excited to race again!! Looking forward to the spring when Jeromy and our baby girl are cheering for me–I have to start her off with a good example, don’t I? :-)

Cindy     at 6:49 pm

I’m not gonna lie, I totally thought the orange dot was part of Casey’s shirt! I kept thinking he paid for a really ugly jacket!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking)     at 6:51 pm

Aw, the last part made me so happy! You are going to be a running mama for sure- it would be so cute to see your kid at the finish line :)

Tina     at 6:52 pm

Maybe Casey and you can run together next year and Papaw and Mimi and Baby Garnish will be cheering from the sidelines!

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 6:58 pm

I love how you planned everything out to a ‘T.’ I would have done the same thing!

Sana     at 7:00 pm

Thanks for putting together the meet-up! You looked super pretty :)

Maria     at 7:07 pm

I wish I had seen you! I was searching the crowd for anyone I might know, but I’m guessing you were far in front of my pace. :) I hope we can meet before you leave though.

Beth     at 7:16 pm

Thanks for cheering for us and arranging the meet-up! It was fun seeing you on the course. I think you may have been one of the few cheering squads I recognized :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 7:18 pm

Looks like so much fun! I’m glad Casey recognized he would end up hurting himself if he did the full marathon and dropped!

jen @ taste life     at 7:38 pm

I’m so glad you got to have that experience. And glad Casey listened to his body :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 7:41 pm

Sounds like a great time Emily! I know you really needed some good times right now. I hope you have a great night!

Debbie B. (DebaRooRoo)     at 7:43 pm

Sounds like a great race and weekend!! So sad I missed the blogger meet up!! I love Northside social and have been dying to meet all the other awesome bloggers!

Meghan     at 7:58 pm

Thanks for the recap! This is making me so pumped for the pig. Good point, I think there is nothing cooler than a kid watching their parent compete as an athlete. My brother is a great role model for his kids and they love watching him compete. :)

Brittany     at 8:00 pm

What a fun race :) Spectators are definitely appreciated and needed– when you walk a half, the spectators & supporters are few and far between!

Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy     at 8:03 pm

what a great weekend! Congrats to all the runners! Love your signs :-)

Lauren     at 8:07 pm

Being a race cheerleader is almost just as fun as running the race. You guys were a fabulous fan club. :) And HUGE congrats to everyone, what a great weekend.

Cara Craves...     at 8:14 pm

Wow, what a weekend. It all looks like so much fun.

lindsay     at 8:20 pm

You guys were awesome spectators!! Thanks for the shout-out :)

Katie @ Run Little Legs     at 8:20 pm

Did y’all spill the sweedish fish, by chance? If so, I totally saw you! Haha. So glad you came out to support the runners! It was a great race.

Carla @ I Run, You Run     at 8:38 pm

Ah, damn, I was going to go to the meet up, but I had the worst recovery ever after a race — it was my worst race yet! Spent the rest of the day in bed, think I’m coming down with something :(

I can’t believe I missed such a cool event (specially now that I’m about to move, so won’t have another chance!)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 8:43 pm

Looks like so much fun!

jenny in new york     at 8:50 pm

I saw you and Caitlin at mile 3 with your signs! I was so happy and it gave me a burst of energy. It was my first half marathon, and although everyone says it was flat, i was NOT used to that many hills being from NYC. Thanks for being a good spectator!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)     at 8:52 pm

Who needs to go to FoodBuzz…all you need to do was apparently go to this race. Holy Bloggers! I knew there were lots running, but had no idea 50! Then again, every other blog I have been reading for months has been talking about this race :)

Katy (The Singing Runner)     at 8:52 pm

I spectated my first marathon in February (one of my blogging friends was running her first marathon). I had SO much fun with it! :D

Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan)     at 9:57 pm

What fun – even with the early wake up time ;) Yay for girlie blogger time!
Whenever I run a race, it always helps to have someone cheering me on from the sidelines! I’m sure they appreciated it (and the Swedish fish too!)

Abby     at 10:06 pm

What a fun weekend!

Brooke @ Bittersweetb     at 10:15 pm

I used to live in Clarendon right by North Side Social! I love that place. Congrats to Casey!

Alaina     at 10:44 pm

I would have definitely been pumped to see Swedish Fish on the sidelines! Looks like it was a great race. Maybe I’ll have to consider that one for next year. Hmmm… :-)

Ashley     at 11:40 pm

What a fun day!!! How excited to have seen so many familiar faces running the race and then all of the bloggers. Jealous! :)

Nicole     at 11:44 pm

You’re do cute!! It will be awesome to have Baby Garnish on the sidelines cheering for you in the future! :)

Caroline     at 5:56 am

Emily – saw this link on NYTimes about 36hrs in Seattle & thought it might be of interest to you. I enjoy reading your blog & wish we could have met when we both lived in Charlotte! Let me know if you ever make it back East to Charleston, SC.

Mary Ann     at 6:10 am

Ooh, that’s so exciting Emily! I love Seattle. Not quite as awesome as Portland, but pretty good ;)

Amy     at 7:26 am

Emily,
Since you’re headed to Seattle, I thought you’d be interested in this column from the NY Times: http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/03/27/travel/27hours-seattle.html?ref=travel

Anne P     at 8:02 am

It was so wonderful seeing you (and Casey) again this weekend! Thanks for being an AWESOME spectator – as evidenced by my smiley photo, I was pretty pumped to see you all while I was running :)

xo

Gena     at 8:31 am

What a lovely hostess you were (are)! Congrats to Casey on his run — and so happy you had a fun weekend.

L     at 9:39 am

I saw you at mile 3!!! I didn’t see the signs until mile 10 though, but I didn’t know that was you guys or I totally would have stopped. Bummer. Thanks for cheering! It was a tough race for me. I’m not sure if I didn’t train well enough or what but I just couldn’t get my stride. Awesome day though!!

Jennifer (The Gourmetour)     at 10:19 am

That’s great that Casey was able to make such a decision during the race. I know a lot of people, when faced with a similar situation and running history, would power through even if it wasn’t right and end up with an injury.
So nice to see such a great example!
Thanks Emily!

Lucy @ The Sweet Touch     at 10:49 am

Looks like a fun time!

Hope you are feeling better, I can’t wait for the next update!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine     at 12:13 pm

All the recaps from this weekend have made this race look so fun!! I really wish I could have been there, even if it was just to support :( I’m glad you all had a great time though, and congrats to all the finishers!

DC Runographer     at 12:18 pm

Great shots of the race! I think I was on the other side of the road from where you guys were standing…or maybe even in another world in my head.

Emily     at 12:28 pm

so great to meet you this weekend! thanks bunches for organizing a great blogger meet up! I will definitely shoot you an email when I’m out in Seattle for work. (Again, SUPER awesome place to move to. I think you two (soon to be three!) will love it.)

Fun to meet you too! Congrats again on a great race.

What a fun time! I could totally be a spectator. :)

Maryann     at 12:36 pm

Great weekend for you guys. Hope you’re catching up on rest for you and baby garnish.

amanda     at 12:57 pm

Looks like you had a great time. And I LOVE that necklace you’re wearing – where’s it from?

Anthropoligie!

LauraJayne     at 2:52 pm

I heard the race was one of the biggest and that it was gorgoeous! It sounds like y’all were an awesome cheering section!

Christina     at 3:44 pm

Great pics!! Next year Casey will def be cheering for you with baby in tow! How exciting to think you guys will have a baby garnish cheering for you!

I’m thinking of doing the half next year (so long as I’m injury free), it would be my first. Eeek!

You can do it!

Christina Reply:

We shall see! It’s something that’s on my bucket list so hopefully I’ll be able to do it :)

Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal     at 8:07 pm

Thank you for cheering for me!! It was a much needed boost :)

Karen     at 10:05 pm

I ran the half marathon in DC this weekend! Thanks for cheering for me, I’m sure I ran by you;) And I love reading your pregnancy journey; it’s so great. I am in nursing school and studying up for state boards and am currently reviewing my maternity section and you are feeling everything I’m studying. I am excited for you and your family. Congrats and I will be sure to keep reading!

Bernadette     at 11:24 pm

Oh Emily I have to say that you are SO adorable and it was so awesome to meet you this weekend!!! When I stopped to hug Caitlin (that’s me and her in the pic) I was so starstruck that I totally forgot to Congratulate you on your pregnancy! It’s been so fun reading your progress and I look forward to all the updates! And I think you’ll love the West Coast, I do!!

xoxo

Monica     at 3:02 pm

What a fun gathering with friends!

I miss running so bad and cannot wait till I am able to run again!