Strawberry Jelly Surprise Muffins.

Thank you all for your patience and understanding while I continue to battle through this rough first trimester of pregnancy.  I am happy to report that I have felt much much better the past few days – so much that I even decided to do a little baking!

This long-awaited recipe was the creation of a fun night of baking with Casey after dinner.  We were both in the mood for something sweet, but healthy, and ended up making what I am pretty sure is the best vegan muffin I have ever tasted…

Strawberry Jelly Surprise Muffins

(Print this recipe!)

Ingredients: (makes 12 muffins)

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tbsp flax (+ 3 tbsp water)
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1/4 cup jelly or preserves (I used strawberry!)

To Prepare:  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Then measure the flour, baking powder, salt, cane sugar, and brown sugar into a medium bowl and mix to combine.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine 1 tbsp ground flax with 3 tbsp water and set aside to create a “flax egg.”

In another small bowl (sorry about all the dishes!), combine the almond milk and canola oil…

Add the vanilla…

Notice the manly hands?  You caught me.  I was actually taking pictures while Casey was measuring and mixing.  Cooking is so much more fun when we do it together.  :)

Once it has thickened, add the flax egg to the rest of the liquid ingredients.

And then mix wet into dry.  Stir with a spatula or fork to combine, but do not beat or over-mix.

Using a greased tablespoon (to help the batter slide off more easily), drop 1 tbsp of batter into the bottom of 12 greased muffin cups.

Next up – the secret ingredient!  I used Whole Foods brand organic strawberry jelly, but you could use any flavor that you like.

Add about 1 tsp of jelly to the center of  each muffin cup, gently dolloping it on top of the bottom layer of batter.  I actually used a melon baller, which worked quite well!

Felt good to be back in the kitchen again.  :)

Once all of the muffins have a jelly drop, carefully add another tablespoon of batter over the top of each one.  I found it works best to layer it over the top from one side to the other, in order to cover the jelly completely.

Let the batter spread itself out with gravity – you shouldn’t need to really do much smoothing.

Pop the muffins into your 400 degree oven, and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and fluffy!

Twenty minutes later, you have the fluffiest and tastiest vegan muffins I have quite honestly ever eaten.

And waiting inside, a gooey warm strawberry surprise…

These are definitely the best muffins I’ve made to date, and I quickly polished off two straight out of the oven.  They are best served warm, but still just as good the next morning.

Hope you enjoy!

laura     at 11:18 am

yum! i have some blackberry preserves i’ve been saving for something special and i think this might be just the thing. :)

Noelle     at 11:20 am

I think I will make these with cherry preserves! YUM!

Lauren     at 11:21 am

MMM looks delicious! I’ve been looking for a good vegan muffin, plus I just made some strawberry jam, so I’ve definitely got to try these! I’m so glad you’re feeling better lately!!! Hopefully it will continue on that way.

Erin     at 11:21 am

These looks so yummy. I have homemade strawberry freezer jam that would be excellent for this!

Angie     at 11:21 am

These look soo good! Definitely making them tonight. Thanks, Emily. :)

Angie Reply:

Update: Made them this morning, and they are SO amazing. I made a few with blueberry jam, the rest with strawberry. The boyfriend can’t even believe they are vegan.. so light and fluffy! I sprinkled a little turbinado sugar on top, delicious. You are a genius.

Chase     at 11:23 am

I love putting jelly in the middle of muffins! I actually did that myself the last time I made muffins in… um… 2009? Geez I need to get my butt in the kitchen. These look adorable!

Emily     at 11:24 am

These remind me of the Veganomicon’s Jelly Donut Cupcakes (which taste exactly like donuts – I think it’s the nutmeg), but your recipe seems a lot healthier and just as yummy I’m sure! And you don’t have to worry about getting the jelly to sink through to the right level during baking.

Kelly     at 11:25 am

Literally just drooled on my yoga mat, ha. This always happens to me when I’m on your page!

Kayla     at 11:26 am

Emily,
I’m so glad you are feeling better!
These muffins look great and look like the perfect thing to whip up this weekend for breakfast for the coming week. But I have a question: I don’t buy cane sugar. Can I use regular granulated sugar instead? I know it’s not as healthy to use the refined crap, but it’s what I have on hand. :)
Thanks!

Granulated sugar is fine! Hope you like them. :)

Ashley P. @ The Vegetable Life     at 11:28 am

Holy Yum!

Glad your feeling good enough to bake a bit!

Sarah @ goingongoals     at 11:30 am

yum! I can wait to try these. So perfect for Spring! Glad to hear you are feeling better! The wait was worth it for this recipe.

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 11:32 am

Yummy!

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 11:36 am

Yay for feeling better! I’m glad to see a recipe up! I might try this tonight… I think I have everything listed above.

Anne     at 11:38 am

oh YUM – can’t wait to try those!! I’m SO glad that you’re feeling better. The coming weeks will be so much more fun :)

Holly     at 11:39 am

Hi Emily! Wondering if I could swap out a few things due to my incredibly limited diet (lots of food allergies)…do you think it would work if I used rice flour & no flax? And what about soy milk instead of almond? Too many flavour changes??

Thanks a bunch! These look super yummy & I want to bring them into the office tomorrow for breakfast :)

Rice flour, yes. No flax – I think you’d need a different binder. If you eat eggs, then that would work. If not, maybe some additional xanthan gum? Soy milk for almond is definitely fine. Let me know how it turns out!

Nicole Reply:

How many eggs would you recommend using?

JL goes Vegan     at 11:40 am

Gorgeous! I’m so happy to see a recipe from you, Emily! You break things down in a way that makes me think I can bake ;) I will definitely try these!

Thanks JL! :)

Carly D. @ CarlyBananas     at 11:40 am

These look so delicious! I’m so glad to see you back in the kitchen & feeling better!

Michelle     at 11:43 am

These look and sound great! I made something similar recently – peanut butter muffins with raspberry jam centers. Delicious!

stephanie     at 11:44 am

I’ve made a similar (but not quite as healthy) recipe for “donut” muffins… basically make these as minis, then roll them in some sugar as soon as they come out of the oven, so that the sugar sticks to them after they cool. I think I’ll give this healthier version a shot!

Devon @ Fast Foodie     at 11:45 am

Nice. I think I am going to have to try and make these gluten free. I have some great jams in the fridge that would be fun to play with.

Let me know how they turn out with the GF flours!

Devon @FastFoodie Reply:

Success! They came out light and fluffy and delicious. I used Raspberry Rhubarb jam for my jam. They made nice cute little muffins and naturally, I had two right out of the oven as well.

Tina     at 11:46 am

These look delicious! Unfortunately, I have everything but the almond milk needed to make them, and about a foot of snow is outside so I’m going to have to wait. I can’t wait to try them!

You could use any type of milk! Booo to the snow – no fun!

Tina Reply:

Thank you, maybe I will whip them up today after all! =)

lauren alysse     at 11:47 am

these look great emily! i’ve never made vegan muffins before but these sound incredible!

Sarah @ The Strength of Faith     at 11:49 am

I love cooking with my husband :)

BB     at 11:50 am

I’m totally going to to try making these with some homemade apple butter in the middle. Glad to hear the tummy trouble is letting up.

Gina     at 11:51 am

Aw, fun! I adore cooking with my boyfriend, it is so much more fun together! Whenever we bake together he gets super giddy over the end product and I catch him adding chocolate chips to everything! I’ve been wanting to make stuffed muffins, so I may try out your recipe tonight! Those would be so so good with a schmear of nut butter…PBJ muffins:)

Haha I am usually the one trying to add extra chocolate chips to everything. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 11:52 am

These look delicious! Your jelly idea would go great in my peanut butter muffins! I’m glad you are back in the kitchen again!

Susan     at 11:54 am

I’ve never made a vegan baked product before, but these look so good I may have to try!

Natale     at 11:55 am

I can’t wait to try these!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 11:56 am

Yum! I have some unused strawberry jam that I should put to this use. In fact, I think I’m gonna sneak a little almond butter in there too!

Marci     at 12:04 pm

I want. Love the surprise in the middle. Like a bun in the oven…

Laura     at 12:10 pm

These look amazing, but I never bake with Canola oil. Do you think it’s possible to use yogurt or applesauce instead?

I can’t promise the outcome, but I think it’s definitely worth a shot!

Meghan     at 12:32 pm

These look great! I may have to make these tonight. Breakfast has been kind of boring lately!

victoria     at 12:40 pm

yummy…and i love that i can go to recipes and print using “recipage”!

Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan)     at 12:41 pm

Yippee! A vegan recipe :) Yay.

I’m totally going to make these this weekend! They look so easy and I happen to have all of the ingredients on hand (woo hoo!).
Love the apron!

I think it’s great that you and Casey love cooking together :) My boyfriend tends to rush through recipes and he gets really stressed out while cooking, so I pretty much do most of it. He’s in charge of the grill, haha.

Noelle     at 12:44 pm

Okay, these were delicious! They were husband-approved too! Thanks a bunch!

Sophie     at 12:49 pm

So glad to see that you are in the kitchen again!

I may just have to make these with some apricot jam… yummm.

Kiran     at 12:51 pm

What a coincidence! I baked something similar last weekend, with a raspberry jelly in the center :D Glad to see you back in the kitchen. Feel better!

Wow those look delicious! I totally have to try to make a gluten-free version. I’m glad you’re feeling better :)

Suzanne @ continuing my education     at 1:04 pm

So glad you are feeling better!! Those look tasty! Great to see you this past weekend!

Katherine     at 1:07 pm

Hi Emily! I have read your blog for ages, and just wanted to reach out and say a big congratulations! (I’m a little behind)

I am 34 weeks pregnant, and went through a really similar first trimester with major vegetable aversions, and living on bagels and cream cheese. It is hard, since you feel you want to give the best nutrients to your baby, but it should pass! Mine was over around week 14. I still haven’t wanted to cook vegetables or raw meat, but luckily have a husband who is happy to take care of those things. Hope the nausea and aversions pass soon!

olivewineandfood     at 1:16 pm

these muffins looks so good! I’ve seen something similar that Paula Deen made on food network, i think they were filled with peanut butter and jelly.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 1:34 pm

Those look so good – I can only imagine how delicious the gooey jam is on the middle! Glad you’re feeling better (today!) :)

Emily     at 1:34 pm

Bookmarking :)

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 1:49 pm

Those look delicious! I love the “surprise” part

pam     at 1:52 pm

These look great! Do you think they’d still turn out well swapping some of the AP flour with whole wheat?

Maren     at 2:05 pm

These do look fun. I can’t wait to make them!

Erin @ Big Girl Feats     at 2:08 pm

Hi Emily! I’ve been reading your blog the past few months but have yet to comment. I actually work at JWU Providence so it’s nice to see those familiar culinary whites in your posts! I just wanted to say that I think it’s awesome that you’re sharing your pregnancy, road to pregnancy and health story on the blog. It must be tough to not be able to cook or eat as you’d like, and I think other people can probably relate. I’ve never been pregnant, but I hope to be as committed to health and my future baby as you are!

chloe@ 321delish     at 2:14 pm

These AMAZING looking muffins would have been perfect for our last Eating Club Meeting this past weekend. The theme was “Stuff It/It’s A Wrap”…so any food stuffed, wrapped, filled, etc.

great recipe!

Abby     at 2:15 pm

Glad you were feeling up to baking! :) those look so yummy! Do you think using whole wheat pastry flour instead of all purpose would work?

Jen     at 2:17 pm

My little toddler man has been on a muffin kick lately, these are going to be perfect!!! I’m sure he will love them! Glad you are feeling better :)

Jo @ Jo In the Kitchen     at 2:36 pm

Those look so delicious! Can’t wait to give those a try :)

Helena     at 3:05 pm

Can you believe that I made almost exactly the same ones a couple of days ago. I made them with a hazelnut-cocoa filling (like vegan Nutella), but the other measurements are the same. Wow :D

Julia     at 3:09 pm

These sound amazing and look beautiful! Glad you were feeling well enough to bake these and share the recipe!

J     at 3:24 pm

Emily, thank you for this tasty recipe! I just made it with 100% whole wheat pastry flour and the muffins came out fluffy and delicious. Thanks again!

Monica     at 3:28 pm

Yum, those look so delicious! And I am so glad to hear that you are starting to feel better!

My body is just now starting to reject the sight, smell, taste and feel of food. It sucks so bad. One week I love food and it tastes amazing, and the next everything sounds awful and makes me feel sick. No fun!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme)     at 3:30 pm

Love your Daily Garnish apron! These muffins look great, yummm

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 3:41 pm

Muffins are one of my favorite things to make! I love how each one is a serving in and of itself.

Brittany     at 3:56 pm

Those look VERY delicious! can’t wait to try them out with some homemade jelly!

Carin     at 4:00 pm

That looks like Trader Joe’s Bourbon Vanilla Extract in the photo. Is it? I’m totally hooked on it!

Meg     at 4:54 pm

Those look fabulous! I will need to try these.

Glad you’re feeling better now, random note, my best friend who is in her first trimester now had a lot of relief from nausea/vomiting from wearing Sea Bands.

Megan (Braise The Roof)     at 4:57 pm

Those look fantastic- and so easy to customize! Anything with filling is good in my book. :) Glad you’re feeling better- hopefully the worst is over!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking)     at 5:14 pm

Delicious! I love muffins with goodies in the middle :)

Dan Helfgott     at 5:24 pm

In the middle of reading this post my stomach made *that* noise to let me know it’s expecting treats later. Thanks for the excuse to use the baking tin!

Ashley     at 5:37 pm

Ooooh, I think I can taste them now! :) Love the jelly surprise. So glad you’re feeling better!

Lisa     at 6:06 pm

oh my – these look wonderful!

Carolyn     at 6:53 pm

these were so easy to make, impressive, and delish! yum! thanks for sharing!!!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine     at 7:15 pm

Oh YUM! Anything with filling is 100x better. I bet these would be amazing with PB!

Carol     at 7:54 pm

I recently made something similar:) I added a scoop of PB to the muffin mix…so I ended up with peanut butter and jelly muffins! Quite tasty:)

Brittany     at 8:27 pm

they look great! Quick question: do they get soggy?

Nope, not soggy at all!

Katy (The Singing Runner)     at 9:24 pm

Mmmmm….looks delicious! :D

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey     at 9:43 pm

Made these tonight!!

I made a few swaps, for anyone who is interested…

I used all white whole wheat flour – instead of all purpose.
I used 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, 1 Tbsp Canola oil and 1/3 cup honey — instead of all of the oil, and the 2 sugars.
I also used cows milk — instead of almond milk.
(It’s all I have!).

These turned out so great. My preserves were Crofter’s Four Fruit blend – yum, yum.
Thanks!

~

PS – it was my first time baking with a flax egg!

Awesome – thank you for posting the swaps!

laura (starloz)     at 11:34 pm

i think all muffins should have a surprise in them.

Holly     at 12:00 am

Thanks for the great recipe Emily! I’m not usually one to comment (although I totally love reading your blog) but I just made these muffins and they were awesome! I haven’t really done much vegan baking and these turned out way better than I imagined! I mixed in blueberries instead of the jelly and am so excited at how yummy they are! Thanks for inspiring me to try something new!

Glad they were a success! I love blueberries.

Alaina     at 12:12 am

Oh yum!! These look so good! I wonder if they make a fig preserve. That would make a great muffin!

They make fig preserves that are sold at Whole Foods! I used them in my pomegranate upside down cake. Delicious!

Janelle     at 1:09 am

You are so full of yourself. The best vegan muffins you’ve ever eaten, made by yourself, said at least three times. Say it once, it’s enthusiasm. Say it as many times as you do when you create a recipe, and it’s nauseating. You obviously have dedicated readers, and that’s great (don’t bother responding, readers, because I’m not reading after this and I’m not interested in what you, as a blog commenter, have to say). I, for one, am not interested in how amazing you think you are… at baking, at pregnancy, at whatever.

I hadn’t cooked or baked in a while, and I was happy that I made something that turned out well. Sorry if you misinterpreted that as arrogance.

Janelle Reply:

Emily, I apologize. This was a really rude comment I left you last night. I had a bad day and your post just hit me the wrong way. I’m not usually so rude to people, and I’m sure that was unpleasant to read. I enjoy your blog. I’m sorry I was so inconsiderate to you and your readers. Have a nice morning. ~Janelle N.

No worries Janelle. We all have bad days. Hope today is much better for you!

Jeromy Reply:

Sounds like someone needs a good vegan muffin–maybe one with an extra dose of bran. ;)

Sara     at 2:36 am

This recipe looks amazin’. Hang in there, the second trimester is usually much better- euphoric, even. I’m excited to read about your kitchen adventures when your pregnancy cravings hit! :)

Julia     at 2:42 am

I saw these and decided I had to make them immediately. I used coconut milk instead of almond. Soooo delicious! I too consumed two of them piping hot out of the oven. Thank you for a great treat :)

Yummmm coconut milk!! Good idea!

Danielle     at 6:03 am

These look aaaaamazing! I can’t wait to try them :)

Flo     at 7:52 am

I thought they were your hands! ;) Congratulations on the pregnancy looking forward to reading all about it x

Sarah @ The Pajama Chef     at 9:12 am

so glad you’re feeling better! these muffins look fabulous. can’t wait to try them :)

Rachel Jacobs     at 10:15 am

You know the upside to your first trimester coming near an end is that often the nausea goes with it. I was very ill with my 3rd child (a girl after 2 boys) and was glad to see my 2nd trimester come. I look forward to your posts everyday to see how you are feeling and what is going on with Baby Garnish (at this point not much).
As for the recipe I cannot wait to get home and make it (I’ve got everything). My children have been digging on breakfast foods so I think they will totally enjoy the healthy option you have provided :)

Britne @ Shabbott's Habits     at 10:29 am

After dinner last night the Hubs said, “I want something sweet,” and I immediately thought of your post. Muffins were made and consumed (I just had one for breakfast)! I added about 1/4 C. of peanut butter and they were fantastic! Thanks for a great recipe and Congrats on your pregnancy :)

Thanks for letting me know! I’m glad you liked them. :)

Jenny     at 10:32 am

These look scrumptious! I can’t wait to try this recipe…love your pictures!

Maryann     at 10:49 am

Yeah you are feeling better. Recipe looks scrumptious.

Cindy Robinson     at 10:56 am

I made these last night! So good, added a cup of blueberries instead of strawberry preserves (didn’t have any) because I was inspired by the awesome blueberries in your cornbread from your Poplar Farm Days :)MMMM also froze about 6 of them to enjoy later on!

I wish I had frozen six! Mine are all gone. :)

leatitia Reply:

Good idea to freeze half the batch, otherwise they’re too tempting! :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 2:16 pm

I love all things with fillings! I am dyinggg to try these with apple butter and raisins:)

Lindsey     at 2:20 pm

These were delicious! I subbed half the all purpose flour with peanut flour to make PB & jelly surprise muffings. SO GOOD! Thank you bunches. :)

Mari     at 5:57 pm

I made these as “cupcakes” and put easy strawberry frosting on them for a kid’s 2nd birthday party. They were a (healthy) hit! Thanks!

leatitia     at 8:05 pm

My batch is in the oven right now and omg – they doubled in size! I can’t wait to taste them! :) So easy and fun to do on a week night. Thanks for sharing!

Hollie     at 10:01 pm

Hi!
I made the muffins today and they were so good!!! I have eaten like 6 of them already-lol.
I am excited to throw in some fresh blueberries sometime, and was wondering if i were to put a blob of peanut butter with the jelly if that would work to make pb and j muffins?? We all loved them, just wanted to let you know. :)

breakfast muffins « the edible perspective     at 2:16 am

[...] doubled the recipe and added a little surprise inside!  Emily’s latest muffin creation gave me this fabulous breakfast idea.  Why not stuff the buckwheat bakes with coconut [...]

Beth     at 12:47 pm

Those look fun and delicious. I’m glad you’re feeling well enough to bake again!

Katie     at 7:58 pm

I just made these but I’m gf so I subbed gf AP flour and peanut flour, making pb&j muffins. Thanks for the recipe!

Kendra     at 1:21 pm

Just made some and I can’t believe how easy they were. And I had all the ingredients without having to run to the grocery store. Thanks Emily!

Darcy @ She Sings at the Table     at 3:18 pm

I added your blog to my mom’s Google Reader not too long ago….I recently came home to visit and she told me “I made my first vegan baked goods!” I sampled, of course, and they’re wonderful :)

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 12:45 am

I’ve made 3 batches of these so far!! (Most have been shared with others.) Love them!

Even my husband (who isn’t a big muffin fan) said he likes them!

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 4:03 pm

My boyfriend liked these! He said it was a perfect amount of sweet. We used boysenberry preserves. I also subbed the brown sugar with 1/3 c. raw sugar that I ground up a little.

I will definitely be making these again. I also had some slight ideas about peanut butter fillings in the future… hmhmhmhm…

Karen     at 9:55 pm

I have to say, these are the best muffins (vegan and non vegan) I’ve ever eaten. I made a batch yesterday and they were gone by the end of the day so I just made another batch today.
I used water, baking powder, and oil instead of the flax egg though because I already had all that on hand.
I ran out of preserves as I was making them, so for the last 3 muffins I put chocolate chips in them. Haven’t tried it yet but you can’t go wrong with chocolate chips.
I just want to tell everyone about these muffins because they are amazing. I can’t wait to experiment with different flavor preserves for the “surprise”.

Yum – I am so glad! They are my favorites too. Definitely need to try the chocolate chips…

Jennifer     at 2:33 pm

I made your muffins for a vegan bake sale in NYC and they were a huge hit! A spotted a few toddler’s stuffing them in their faces! (I think the parent’s liked that they weren’t too sugary to give to their little ones!)
Here’s a link to the photos!

I made the 3 entries in the top photo: Your muffins, Oh She Glows’ Ginger Cookers, and my friend’s Maple Pecan Button recipe.

lynn @ the actor's diet     at 11:09 am

looks great – i have so much jelly/jam i don’t know what to with it!

Katy @ notjustacarnivore     at 3:36 pm

Just took these out of the oven and they’re delicious! Question, though. Is there a secret to keeping the jelly from sinking to the bottom? Instead of strawberry jelly surprise muffins, mine turned into strawberry upside down muffins where I scooped the jelly back onto the muffin :)

simple strawberry jam & filled muffins     at 1:52 pm

[...] adapted from daily garnish [...]

Shelley     at 1:59 pm

I made these today but instead used homemade apple butter as the surprise… So delicious that I may or may not have eaten 7 of them over the course of the day… It was the perfect fall muffin! Also, I used Sucanat instead of the brown sugar and it worked great. Thanks for posting such a fabulous vegan muffin recipe!

Going Vegan? | Local Buggy – Blog     at 11:04 am

[...] *Strawberry Jelly Surprise Muffins- I had a party with about 12 friends and every one had to know who made the muffins and where could they get the recipe.  Also a big hit with kids. [...]

Daily Garnish on OSG! — Oh She Glows     at 12:41 pm

[...] Strawberry Jelly Surprise Muffins [...]

Karin     at 7:04 pm

I’ve had these on the “to make” list forever and I wish I hadn’t waited so long! Sooo good – I’m going to freeze them in order to keep myself from polishing off the entire batch. Thanks!