The (House) Hunt Begins.

Good morning friends!  Yesterday was a whirlwind of traveling, house hunting, and exploring!  Since we are still on Eastern time, we were up by 5am to start working and getting things done before we needed to leave the hotel for the day.  After a delicious free hotel breakfast (score!), we made our way downtown to visit Casey’s new office.

I realized (after the fact) that in my previous post about moving to Seattle, I accidentally gave the impression that Casey will be working at Microsoft – whoops!  Someone asked me if he will be working at “the big M”, and since his company is BIG, and starts with M, I said yes, not considering the other “big M” in Seattle.  So clear up any confusion, he is not working at Microsoft, but actually in lovely downtown Seattle!

This also leads to the question, “will Casey still be working at home?”  This was one of the big factors we had to weigh in our decision to take this job.  One one hand, it seems crazy to give up both being able to work at home right as our first baby arrives.  But the truth is, the way Casey’s job was previously set up, he worked ALL the time.  He didn’t really ever have a day or night off, and even worked through holidays and vacations.

So even though this new job means a return to the office, his time at home will be quality time, instead of time parked in front of his laptop.  We are both really looking forward to having more free time together, and I actually think he is going to like working in an office environment again.  Plus, what’s not to like when this is the VIEW from his 38th floor window?

We spent the morning in his new office while he got setup and I worked from his meeting table.  I found myself staring out the window constantly!  I am demanding to come in and take pictures on the first clear and beautiful day that we are here!

After our morning at the office, we headed to a nearby spot for lunch.  Many people recommended the Portage Bay Café while we were here last time, so I put it on the list for us to try during our trip back to Seattle.

The menu looked amaaazing, and I can’t wait to go back when my stomach is feeling more vegetable friendly.  I started with a delicious potato and leek soup, and wished I had gotten a bowl instead of a cup – it was so good!

Along with my soup, I got the Savory Bread Pudding.  I made sure to ask for my eggs to be hard-cooked since I’m not allowed to eat drippy eggs when pregnant

The bread pudding was GIGANTIC, and so so rich and flavorful.

Sadly my eyes were waaaay bigger than my stomach, and I was only able to eat about 25% of this.  Thank god for to-go boxes!  I have noticed that since becoming pregnant, I can’t quite eat as much as I used to, and seem to get full much more quickly.  I am guessing this will disappear in my 2nd trimester, and then I will find myself ravenously hungry all the time.

Casey had a delicious hot coffee, in a KERF approved mug.  I can’t wait until I can drink coffee again and take advantage of all the delicious and cute coffee shops here in Seattle!

For his lunch, he got a marinated tofu sandwich with shredded vegetables and pickled daikon, and a side of roasted red potatoes.  It looked wonderful!

Can’t wait to go back to Portage Bay Café and give the pancake topping bar a chance…

The rest of our day was taken up with house hunting appointments, and driving all over Seattle.  Even though I am soooo sick of renting and feel very ready to buy a house, we think it’s a better decision to rent for one more year here in Seattle.  We don’t know enough about the neighborhoods here yet to feel comfortable enough to pick a spot to buy a house, so we’re hoping to be able to buy next spring when we have a better feel for Seattle!

We saw five houses yesterday, only one of which we really liked.  The one house that was my favorite may have another family in front of us for application status, so I’m trying not to get my hopes up that it will work out for us.  We are seeing six more today, and saying a LOT of prayers that one of these is “the one.”  I am keeping my spirits high, not letting the rain bother me, and determined to stay positive.  Wish us luck!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing     at 11:23 am

What a view. Best of luck on house-hunting — fingers and toes crossed :)

brandi     at 11:24 am

fingers crossed for house hunting! you guys will find the perfect place :)

isn’t goat cheese off limits, too? or is it okay because it was heated?

ARPL Reply:

I’m curious about this too! I think anything made from pasturized milk is ok. I ask when I go to restaurants because some blue and feta is pasturized.

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey     at 11:26 am

Good luck, good luck, good luck!
Fingers crossed for you guys!

~

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe     at 11:27 am

Beautiful view, Emily! I hope you guys have a great time picking out a house – my husband and I loved house hunting! And it’s even more fun when you find one you love. Way to go for staying positive…it won’t be this crazy forever!

Maryann     at 11:28 am

Emily,
That food looks sooo good. I’m hungry my green smoothie didn’t do it today. Almost lunch time.
I think you will both have a lot more time together. You will miss eachother but it will pay off for you both.
Good luck house hunting today. Sounds like there’s a lot out there. Economy hit us all.
Have a blessed day!

Brittany @ a healthy slice of life     at 11:28 am

I’m jealous of your new adventure! Take pictures of houses for us- so much fun :) glad that you seem to be feeling better!

alana (at) the food     at 11:31 am

sending good thoughts your way to find “the one”!
seattle is a really fun city, and vancouver (canada) is just a hop skip and a jump away, and it is totally the kind of city you and casey would love (vegan friendly, EVERYONE has a baby and at least one dog, excellent outdoor running paths, totally walkable and full of young, hip people!)

merediiith     at 11:34 am

gorgeous views from that office. wow. my office doesn’t have any windows; i hope to someday be that lucky!!! good luck in your new city.

Freya     at 11:36 am

That really is one heck of a view! I’d hate to work in an office, but I’d re-evaluate if THAT was the office!
Is Seattle near California, or am I confusing myself?

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 11:37 am

Beautiful view! Good luck with the house hunting. I think you’re right to rent since you don’t know much about the city yet. I hope you find what you are looking for today!

Chase     at 11:40 am

Good luck with the house hunting today!

Amanda     at 11:50 am

The view from Casey’s office is incredible! I think you’re making the right choice in renting before buying. It’s hard moving to a new city and choosing which part of town to live in – you might change your mind after you realize you are in “the wrong place!”

Good luck house hunting today – make sure you choose something you LOVE! :)

Liz     at 11:54 am

I definitely think your making the right choice to rent for a year before buying. That way you can decide what neighborhood is the best.

Are you figuring out all the walkability of the neighborhoods your looking in, like you did last time?

Also, how do the dogs feel about this move??

Camels & Chocolate     at 11:55 am

I ate at Portage Bay Cafe while in Seattle, too. Yum! You’re going to love it there!

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous     at 12:02 pm

Good luck today!!

Amanda (Still Life With Duck)     at 12:06 pm

Good luck! House hunting is so stressful, but all worth it in the end. My fingers are crossed for you and I can’t wait to find out what you pick! :) Did you see Queen Anne yesterday? What did you think?

Paige     at 12:07 pm

I used to live in Seattle (in Ballard) and have eaten at the Portage Bay Cafe location in Ballard many times! So good!
Without getting too personal – which neighborhoods are you considering? My husband and I moved around quite a bit during the 3 years we lived there, and we definitely loved Ballard the most.
Good luck with the house hunting! Your pictures are making me miss Seattle – it’s such a great city.

Milica Reply:

Ballard rocks! I know we get a little fanatical about our neighborhoods, but I have been living in Ballard for 14 years now and would not consider moving, even though we also have property on Capitol Hill. There are also great schools in Ballard and that will, eventually, be a consideration for Emily and Casey.

gina     at 12:09 pm

Best of luck in the house hunt today…so glad you enjoyed Portage Bay! How many floors on that building? I think my bfs Bro works near the top too…he works on the software team…

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 12:17 pm

Hey Emily. I’m interested in hearing about how you guys find home rental information. Do you use websites or an apartment finding service? My husband and I are moving in a few months and last time we moved we found it really difficult to find online listings for homes rather than apartments. We were only able to find houses for rent by driving around and looking for rental signs. So what services are you using to find all these great places?

Elisabeth Reply:

I’d like to hear a little about that, too. I’m considering a major move (been in the same town in Ohio since I was born 29 years ago!) in the somewhat-near future. I’ve done some looking on sites like rent.com, forrent.com, etc. but I was wondering if you two found better ways/places to look. Those listings seem to be all apartments & it can be hard to tell if they’re very nice/have good reviews from renters.

Good luck finding a place you love! I think it’s a great idea to rent again for a bit to see what areas of Seattle you like best.

Susan Reply:

I think Emily said they were using Craiglist.

Lisa     at 12:19 pm

GOOD LUCK!!!! I can’t wait to hear how the houses are today. I’m just over halfway through the second trimester and I still can’t eat as much as I used to be able to, though I am definitely more hungry than in my first trimester!

Sarah @ goingongoals     at 12:26 pm

great view! plus, it sounds like his new job will be great and give y’all more time together. I can’t wait to hear about your Seattle adventures!

Julie @SavvyEats     at 12:28 pm

I definitely think that renting for a year first is a good idea. That’s what we did in Ithaca, and it helped us get a feel for the different neighborhoods, etc. Plus, if you were to buy a house now, you’d be a) going through the whole process from the other side of the country and b) be more pressured to buy a house that is available now instead of waiting for one that you LOVE. Good luck!!! xoxo

Jo @ Jo In the Kitchen     at 12:35 pm

Wow, that view is amazing!! Can’t wait to hear how all the hunting turns out.

Ashlyn     at 12:42 pm

Emily, the bread pudding looks heavenly! I’m so jealous your in Seattle I’ve always wanted to visit. Good luck with the house hunting- I have no doubt you will find something for the 5 of you! Xo

Bailey     at 12:46 pm

Sooooo, Merrill Lynch?

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 12:53 pm

Good luck!!! I think it’s a smart idea to rent for one more year. That way you’ll be able to know exactly where you want to buy when the tme comes!!!

Whitney     at 12:53 pm

I was wondering if Casey would be working at Microsoft, too (my home town :) ). But, that 38th floor view is awesome! If it is the building I am thinking of, both of my parents worked there at one point when I was growing up (20th and 23rd floors, to be exact :) ).

Renting is a great idea before you buy. YOu will quickly figure out which areas of Seattle you gravitate toward. From what (little) I know about you from reading your blog, I bet you would like the Fremont/Greenlake/Wallingfors area.

Good luck exploring our lovely city!!

Heidi @ Food Doodles     at 12:56 pm

That bread pudding looks freakin amazing. It doesn’t help that I’m really hungry right now! About the eating less while pregnant thing… yeah that continues throughout(maybe it lets up in the middle I can’t remember!), especially near the end when your stomach doesn’t have much room. But you’ll be hungry enough that you’ll just be eating small amounts constantly :D It all balances out, lol! I really hope you find a great place and fast! Keep your hopes up :D

Lisa     at 12:59 pm

Are there specific neighborhoods you’re looking at? I know you said East side…?

Fremont is a good neighborhood–funky but fun. The U district is great too but traffic is a nightmare.

I grew up in North Seattle so I’m partial to places like Bothell, Edmonds, etc.

That restaurants looks amazing!!

Noelle     at 1:00 pm

I have been reading articles but nothing prohibits you from having 1 cup of coffee in a day. All articles indicate that drinking more than 5 cups in a day is dangerous. 1 cup is not so enjoy!

Cheryl     at 1:19 pm

Good luck with house hunting! I can’t wait to see some photos :)

Kat     at 1:21 pm

If you haven’t heard of it, definitely check out http://www.sutraseattle.com for your next celebration meal – maybe when you get settled in or find a house? It’s a fixed menu with one or two seatings a night. The owners/chefs are amazing and the food is ridiculous! They say they’re vegetarian but I’ve never actually seen anything at their dinners that isn’t vegan.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite     at 1:29 pm

Those views are amazing! Looks like you are off to a great start :) Good luck with the house hunt!

Reading (and chickens)     at 1:36 pm

Good luck! I know the weather here is stinkaroo right now, but just wait until July and August. You’ll never know how you lived anywhere else!

Kimberley     at 1:43 pm

Once you find your dream home, feel free to send some of your rejects my way. Trying to find a house in a city across the country that I know nothing about is nerve-wracking. And everything is either super expensive or a total piece of @%^#. You are definitely my trailblazer, so as you’ve already figured out I will be stalking your blog and twitter (even more than usual) looking for tips and other help. :)

The views from my new office are one of the things that sold me as well. It really is a beautiful city. Good luck today!!!!

Jamie     at 1:53 pm

If your pregnancy is anything like mine was, you will definitely start feeling hungrier. Although my tastes did change for the duration. I craved sweets WAY more than normal.

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 1:55 pm

All the food looks fantastic!

Sarah     at 2:20 pm

Good luck with the house hunt. I’m hoping everything works out today!

Your meal at Portage Bay looks delicious. I was there on my one trip to Seattle and LOVED the gf pancakes and toppings bar!

Paige     at 2:23 pm

Good luck with the house hunt! So nervewracking.

Caroline     at 2:27 pm

Oh gosh I didn’t even realize you can’t drink the coffee! I’m such an addict.. I feel like being pregnant in Seattle would be torture for the lack of coffee alone. Oh well, in a few months you’ll get to enjoy it all!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 2:39 pm

Pancake bar sounds nice. And you’ll get hungry faster when pregnant too, so it sounds about right that you’re heading back there. (saw your tweet ;) )

Jenny     at 2:51 pm

Oh, I’ve been there — I dreamt about the apple and wholewheat pancakes, and I haven’t been to Seattle in 3 years!

Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out     at 2:56 pm

Oh. My. Gawd. That bread pudding looks UNREAL. Darn me and my gluten intolerance.

bitt     at 2:58 pm

Yes, there is something wrong with that view: the gray clouds! Dang this rain. So sick of it! Maybe you can pack the sun with you.

Warning: when I moved to Seattle from the east coast I got really ripped off because I was used to higher rents. Really research the rates for where you move before you settle. I agree to rent for a year first. You want to do way more research!

Kath     at 3:14 pm

KERF approved indeed!!! House photos coming soon I hope!?! I’m such a real estate buff!!

Lynne     at 3:27 pm

I can’t even think of another “M” company in Seattle! LOL! Good luck house hunting! I think it is very smart to rent first, as you will want to spend some time looking into the quality of the schools for Baby Garnish before you buy. Have fun and enjoy those views!

Jeni @ stepping out     at 3:29 pm

I love all your posts from Seattle! I want to go back so bad. :D Good luck on the househunting!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 3:31 pm

That bread pudding looks seriously amazing. I am a sucker for eggs and bread.

Sana     at 3:39 pm

Yeah you want to buy a house in a good school district for Baby G!

Cindy @ The Flipping Couple     at 3:40 pm

I’m so happy for you but so jealous at the same time (I grew up in Seattle)!! I can’t wait to see the house you find and I’m really interested to hear your take on the neighborhoods in the area. And that view is TO DIE FOR. Good luck on the house hunt!!

Sara @ Baking and Wine     at 3:59 pm

Just to play devil’s advocate, I’m now at 20 weeks and I can still only eat half or less of what I make or order, even if I feel like I’m starving! It’s the craziest thing. I try to just eat very small meals but more often than I normally do. Seems to be working. :)

Seattle looks awesome! Hopefully your hubs will have way more quality time with you!

kelsey     at 4:20 pm

Mmm, I love the Portage Bay Café! My old co-workers and I used to go there for business lunches often. I’ve never personally eaten their breakfasts but I know everyone who has loves their toppings bar! I’ve loved all of the savory lunches I’ve ordered there! It’s great on a lovely spring day when you can sit outside! And just a few blocks away is the Ugly Mug Café, which I love! (It’s on 43rd between University Way and Brooklyn). There are a ton of great restaurants in the University District/Wallingford/Green Lake area! I’m so excited to have you move to Seattle! When I get back in July, I’d love to get together with ya!

Sarah     at 4:52 pm

I live in Seattle!! I recommend Plum Bistro on Capitol Hill for delicious vegetarian / vegan food. :)Seriously good.

Sarah @ The Pajama Chef     at 4:55 pm

what a gorgeous view! i wouldn’t get any work done there :)

Emily     at 5:26 pm

My husband works from home right now, and he works non-stop. Like, can’t even close the laptop when we’re eating dinner, on a Sunday! Poor guy.

Good luck with the house hunt! Good idea not to rush into buying before you can thoroughly research neighborhoods.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan)     at 5:27 pm

Good luck! I hope you find a house that you are in love with!

Sounds like a DELICIOUS lunch :) Especially on a gray and rainy day!

Chelsea Raynes     at 5:29 pm

I hope you find a great place to rent for awhile, then you will have something to really look forward to before the big move!! Also…um, yummy looking food!!!

Kate     at 6:17 pm

Good luck on the house hunt! These pictures make me miss the northwest. I lived in Eugene, OR for seven years and sometimes the sight of a grey sky like that just makes me all nostalgic. I didn’t visit Seattle much when I was out there but when I did I loved it. I bet you guys will enjoy living there.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking)     at 6:27 pm

Good luck finding a place! I visited Seattle last year and my mom fell in love with a house in Snoqualmie. Now all she has to do is convince my dad to move there :)

Syndie     at 7:50 pm

You’ll find a great house!! Renting for a year is a great idea. Gives you time to settle in and discover. Enjoy your trip and can’t wait to see more pics!

Shoshanna     at 7:50 pm

Can I make a plea for you to try your chef hand at figuring out and posting a Daily Garnish recipe for that bread pudding? It looks so amazing.

Cindy     at 8:32 pm

I’m glad you’re able to eat better this trip :)

Rebecca     at 8:35 pm

I second Ballard or maybe Wallingford or Fremont to live in, you guys would fit in there and I think you would love being nearish to Green Lake. Love portage bay! We would regularly go there for breakfast after night shift at the hospital.

Jordan (Ciao Cow)     at 9:29 pm

I still haven’t been to Portage Bay Cafe, but now, it is even higher on my list of places to eat at. Those photos look amazing! Good luck house hunting. It is too bad the weather didn’t hold up for your visit. It was absolutely beautiful last week. The summers here are awesome though!

Abby     at 10:08 pm

What a gorgeous view! :)

Donna     at 10:47 pm

That bread pudding looks amazing, glad you are feeling better!
Good luck on the house hunt, pros and cons lists help but then so does going with your gut :)

Nancy     at 11:51 pm

Love seeing posts of Seattle! I vote for Wallingford/Greenlake/Ravenna area. Great for dogs/kids/walking/running. Stay in the city, you really do not want to commute especially with our poor excuse for a transit system.

Kiran     at 1:15 am

Awesome views from the office. So envious ;)

Katy     at 1:26 am

i hope you find the perfect house!!!

Ashley     at 2:13 am

Ahhhhhhh goood luck!!!! The food looks outstanding and so does the view!

Angie     at 4:29 am

Hi – Do you read Shauna and Danny’s blog – Gluten Free Girl and the Chef – http://glutenfreegirl.com/? Shauna, her husband (a chef), and daughter live in/near Seattle. Like you, they have an awesome blog :)

Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East     at 5:41 am

Good luck with the house hunting! I would never get any work done in an office with a view like that! I would just keep looking outside.

Kat @ Big Apple Little Kitchen     at 9:48 am

Wow! That view is spectacular! I wouldn’t mind getting up for work so early if I knew I have that to look forward to! Good luck on the house hunt!

Presley     at 10:24 am

Good luck on the big move. What an exciting time for y’all!

Taysa @ Luminous and Edible     at 11:35 am

I love Portage Bay Cafe! In college, I lived about two blocks from there and it was my favorite place for late morning breakfasts. Cafe Allegro is also in that neighborhood and is “seattle’s oldest espresso bar”. I highly recommend it if you’re ever walking around that district.

LauraJayne     at 11:53 am

Have a great house hunting day! At rain is better than snow, temperature-wise?

Amber K     at 11:57 am

Good luck on the house front! I hope you find something perfect. That soup looks absolutely fantastic. I want to take a dip in there ;)

Snehal @ Chocolate-Cosmos     at 12:08 pm

haha about the “big M”! There’s a running joke that if you live in Seattle, you either work for Microsoft, Amazon or Starbucks :-)
Good luck with the house hunt!

Gina Reply:

Or Boeing;)

Kim @ girlevolving     at 1:44 pm

I’m in my 2nd trimester (20 weeks) and this week have not been able to stop eating. Before this week it was fine, so maybe it’s touch and go. :)

Emily     at 2:08 pm

I am so behind in my blog reading and just saw you’re pregnant! Congrats! That’s so exciting! And a big move across the country! Yikes! I’m in a similar boat, I’m 17 weeks pregnant right now and we’re moving from Florida to Los Angeles in May! 2 HUGE changes in a few months! I hope you’re handling all the changes with more grace than I am. I may or may not have hysterical crying panic attacks when discussing the logistics of moving across the country haha

AMANDA (tomboythatwearsmakeup.com)     at 2:32 pm

AWESOME! You will love the West Coast. Good luck with the hunt!

betty@runbetty     at 2:47 pm

I totally agree with your idea to rent for a year, when moving to a new city.

My husband and I moved to Pasadena about a year ago, and rented a great apartment. This year gave us the opportunity to get connected to the community, learn the idiosyncrasies of all the different neighborhoods, and ultimately, pin-point the perfect house for us.

We close escrow the day after Easter!

Hope it all works out beautifully for you guys too!

Becky     at 3:57 pm

The only other M I can think of in Seattle…

The Mariners! :)

I love Seattle SO much, so I can’t wait to read your posts from your new hometown. Good luck!

HA! That made me laugh really hard. Yep – starting a new career in professional baseball! :) He works for a company called Milliman!

Becky Reply:

I mean, you never know. Bat boy sounds like a pretty awesome job, ya know? ;)

Kendel @ Eating Abroad     at 5:01 pm

My Aunt lives on Whidbey Island and when I last visited, we went to the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival. I just looked it up and it runs from April 1-30th. Please consider going, there’s something magical about multicolored fields of tulips. http://www.tulipfestival.org/about

www.theevolvinghomemaker.com     at 9:08 pm

WOW. Seems like you just got to my old stompin’ grounds yesterday! Seattle will be lovely, such awesomeness there. Everyone I know is moving around and I am wondering if it is our turn too…17 YEARS in Colorado…the west (west-er) maybe calling to us soon too….

Jen

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]     at 9:59 pm

WOAH, how did I miss that? You’re moving to Seattle!? Welcome to the west coast, friend :)

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 11:25 am

I am totally in the same boat… I used to work from home but I was working 24/7! Now that I’m back in an office, it sure is nice to call it a day at 5 and have evenings for class, school work, hanging out, and everything else I need to get done! :)

EvilEyeBraceletsJewelryGreekTurkish     at 12:42 am

I will immediately snatch your rss feed as I can’t to find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please permit me understand in order that I could subscribe. Thanks. Evil Eye Bracelets Jewelry Greek Turkish Italian Protection Symbol http://www.5iouyue.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=63375