For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

The (House) Hunt Begins.

Good morning friends!  Yesterday was a whirlwind of traveling, house hunting, and exploring!  Since we are still on Eastern time, we were up by 5am to start working and getting things done before we needed to leave the hotel for the day.  After a delicious free hotel breakfast (score!), we made our way downtown to visit Casey’s new office.

I realized (after the fact) that in my previous post about moving to Seattle, I accidentally gave the impression that Casey will be working at Microsoft – whoops!  Someone asked me if he will be working at “the big M”, and since his company is BIG, and starts with M, I said yes, not considering the other “big M” in Seattle.  So clear up any confusion, he is not working at Microsoft, but actually in lovely downtown Seattle!

This also leads to the question, “will Casey still be working at home?”  This was one of the big factors we had to weigh in our decision to take this job.  One one hand, it seems crazy to give up both being able to work at home right as our first baby arrives.  But the truth is, the way Casey’s job was previously set up, he worked ALL the time.  He didn’t really ever have a day or night off, and even worked through holidays and vacations.

So even though this new job means a return to the office, his time at home will be quality time, instead of time parked in front of his laptop.  We are both really looking forward to having more free time together, and I actually think he is going to like working in an office environment again.  Plus, what’s not to like when this is the VIEW from his 38th floor window?

We spent the morning in his new office while he got setup and I worked from his meeting table.  I found myself staring out the window constantly!  I am demanding to come in and take pictures on the first clear and beautiful day that we are here!

After our morning at the office, we headed to a nearby spot for lunch.  Many people recommended the Portage Bay Café while we were here last time, so I put it on the list for us to try during our trip back to Seattle.

The menu looked amaaazing, and I can’t wait to go back when my stomach is feeling more vegetable friendly.  I started with a delicious potato and leek soup, and wished I had gotten a bowl instead of a cup – it was so good!

Along with my soup, I got the Savory Bread Pudding.  I made sure to ask for my eggs to be hard-cooked since I’m not allowed to eat drippy eggs when pregnant

The bread pudding was GIGANTIC, and so so rich and flavorful.

Sadly my eyes were waaaay bigger than my stomach, and I was only able to eat about 25% of this.  Thank god for to-go boxes!  I have noticed that since becoming pregnant, I can’t quite eat as much as I used to, and seem to get full much more quickly.  I am guessing this will disappear in my 2nd trimester, and then I will find myself ravenously hungry all the time.

Casey had a delicious hot coffee, in a KERF approved mug.  I can’t wait until I can drink coffee again and take advantage of all the delicious and cute coffee shops here in Seattle!

For his lunch, he got a marinated tofu sandwich with shredded vegetables and pickled daikon, and a side of roasted red potatoes.  It looked wonderful!

Can’t wait to go back to Portage Bay Café and give the pancake topping bar a chance…

The rest of our day was taken up with house hunting appointments, and driving all over Seattle.  Even though I am soooo sick of renting and feel very ready to buy a house, we think it’s a better decision to rent for one more year here in Seattle.  We don’t know enough about the neighborhoods here yet to feel comfortable enough to pick a spot to buy a house, so we’re hoping to be able to buy next spring when we have a better feel for Seattle!

We saw five houses yesterday, only one of which we really liked.  The one house that was my favorite may have another family in front of us for application status, so I’m trying not to get my hopes up that it will work out for us.  We are seeing six more today, and saying a LOT of prayers that one of these is “the one.”  I am keeping my spirits high, not letting the rain bother me, and determined to stay positive.  Wish us luck!

LauraJayne     at 11:53 am

Have a great house hunting day! At rain is better than snow, temperature-wise?

Amber K     at 11:57 am

Good luck on the house front! I hope you find something perfect. That soup looks absolutely fantastic. I want to take a dip in there ;)

Snehal @ Chocolate-Cosmos     at 12:08 pm

haha about the “big M”! There’s a running joke that if you live in Seattle, you either work for Microsoft, Amazon or Starbucks :-)
Good luck with the house hunt!

Gina Reply:

Or Boeing;)

Kim @ girlevolving     at 1:44 pm

I’m in my 2nd trimester (20 weeks) and this week have not been able to stop eating. Before this week it was fine, so maybe it’s touch and go. :)

Emily     at 2:08 pm

I am so behind in my blog reading and just saw you’re pregnant! Congrats! That’s so exciting! And a big move across the country! Yikes! I’m in a similar boat, I’m 17 weeks pregnant right now and we’re moving from Florida to Los Angeles in May! 2 HUGE changes in a few months! I hope you’re handling all the changes with more grace than I am. I may or may not have hysterical crying panic attacks when discussing the logistics of moving across the country haha

AMANDA (tomboythatwearsmakeup.com)     at 2:32 pm

AWESOME! You will love the West Coast. Good luck with the hunt!

betty@runbetty     at 2:47 pm

I totally agree with your idea to rent for a year, when moving to a new city.

My husband and I moved to Pasadena about a year ago, and rented a great apartment. This year gave us the opportunity to get connected to the community, learn the idiosyncrasies of all the different neighborhoods, and ultimately, pin-point the perfect house for us.

We close escrow the day after Easter!

Hope it all works out beautifully for you guys too!

Becky     at 3:57 pm

The only other M I can think of in Seattle…

The Mariners! :)

I love Seattle SO much, so I can’t wait to read your posts from your new hometown. Good luck!

HA! That made me laugh really hard. Yep – starting a new career in professional baseball! :) He works for a company called Milliman!

Becky Reply:

I mean, you never know. Bat boy sounds like a pretty awesome job, ya know? ;)

Kendel @ Eating Abroad     at 5:01 pm

My Aunt lives on Whidbey Island and when I last visited, we went to the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival. I just looked it up and it runs from April 1-30th. Please consider going, there’s something magical about multicolored fields of tulips. http://www.tulipfestival.org/about

www.theevolvinghomemaker.com     at 9:08 pm

WOW. Seems like you just got to my old stompin’ grounds yesterday! Seattle will be lovely, such awesomeness there. Everyone I know is moving around and I am wondering if it is our turn too…17 YEARS in Colorado…the west (west-er) maybe calling to us soon too….

Jen

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]     at 9:59 pm

WOAH, how did I miss that? You’re moving to Seattle!? Welcome to the west coast, friend :)

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 11:25 am

I am totally in the same boat… I used to work from home but I was working 24/7! Now that I’m back in an office, it sure is nice to call it a day at 5 and have evenings for class, school work, hanging out, and everything else I need to get done! :)

EvilEyeBraceletsJewelryGreekTurkish     at 12:42 am

I will immediately snatch your rss feed as I can’t to find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please permit me understand in order that I could subscribe. Thanks. Evil Eye Bracelets Jewelry Greek Turkish Italian Protection Symbol http://www.5iouyue.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=63375

running shoes