The Newest Malone.

I can already tell today is going to be one of those days that feels a lot longer than 24 hours!  Woke up this morning sick as a dog.  I alternated throwing up with attempting to get my suitcase packed, make sure I remembered everything, and get us out of the house on time to make our appointment!

Due to crazy pouring rain in DC this morning, we walked in the door with not a minute to spare!  I didn’t get to meet with the doctor I originally scheduled, which bothered me when I first found out (it was a man – I wanted a woman).  But he turned out to be really great, very comforting, and happily answered all my questions.

We sat for a few minutes and talked about family history, being vegetarian (he was totally supportive), nutrition, risks, and other things.  He mentioned that until we heard a heartbeat, the risk of miscarriage at that point was 70%.  I don’t think the actuary (risk analyst) in Casey liked those odds very much.  He suddenly seemed very nervous, but funny enough – I felt ready and relaxed.

We moved down the hall to the sonogram room, and got ready to (hopefully) see our baby for the very first time.  We both stared at the screen as he fished around for the image, and I’m pretty sure I broke all the bones in Casey’s hand from squeezing it so hard.  When the image first popped up, I saw the empty black (uterus) space, but there was nothing in it.  My heart dropped.

And then he moved the imager around a little more, and all of the sudden this amazing little image popped up!

Casey and I both found ourselves staring at the screen saying “oh my gooooood” over and over again.  It was so incredible – I’ll never forget it!  Then the doctor turned up the heart monitor and suddenly we heard a loud THUMP THUMP THUMP!  What a heartbeat – I couldn’t believe how fast it was!  Casey thinks the baby takes after Huey, who’s heart is always racing.  :)

Not that it didn’t feel real already, but actually seeing that there is something growing inside me (totally weird) makes it feel so much more tangible.  We have both been smiling all day!

After our appointment, we headed to a Caribou Coffee to get some work done for a few hours, before we needed to head to the airport.

After this morning’s morning sickness incident, I came prepared with a sleeve of saltines for the road.

We worked for a few hours, and I aaaaalmost got my blog post finished, but of course ran out of time right at the end.

Luckily we left for the airport when we did.  It wasn’t our luckiest day of travelling – looooong security lines, no good food in our terminal, and then sitting for two hours on the runway before we could take off.  We have FINALLY arrived in Seattle at what is 10:30 Pacific time – which means this is as late as I have stayed up in a very long time.

Hitting the hotel bed immediately, so that I can rest up for a fun day out in Seattle tomorrow!  What an exhausting, but wonderful day.

Chelsea     at 2:53 am

Yay, so excited you’re here! Sonograms are always so magical. I’m so excited for you guys. :)

@amarantac     at 2:55 am

yep, heartbeat is fastest in utero/at birth and goes down from there… like a little mockingbird!!

Red Deception     at 2:58 am

How beautiful the little heartbeat is! How exciting :)

Kate (What Kate is Cooking)     at 3:01 am

Aw, congratulations! That is so exciting!

lena     at 3:12 am

So special to see that first heartbeat! Have fun in Seattle, my hometown.

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed     at 3:15 am

How exciting!! It’s getting me excited to be pregnant myself (not for a few years though ideally). Congratulations :) Enjoy Seattle!
Heidi xo

stacey     at 3:15 am

So exciting!!!

Pearl (Crunch and Chew)     at 3:20 am

So happy that everything turned out well. I’m so excited for you and Casey!

mitzi @ my nikon eats food     at 3:25 am

ooh congrats!! i can’t imagine what it must have felt like to hear the heartbeat. happy for you guys =)

Elisabeth     at 3:30 am

Congratulations! (love the pic of Casey with your first ultrasound!)

Brittany     at 3:33 am

Congratulations, again! I’m so excited for ya’ll!

Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East     at 3:36 am

So happy everything went well! Hearing that heartbeat for the first time is so special! Glad you made it safely to Seattle.

Jess     at 4:23 am

Very exciting! You guys will be awesome parents!

Aly     at 4:42 am

Oh, congrats!! It’s an amazing and awe inspiring moment that first time you see the baby’s image, isn’t it? Suddenly, everything else seems so unimportant because now you’re in mommy-mode. Let the magical journey begin . . .

Laura     at 5:10 am

Congrats! That sound of baby’s heartbeat is one of the greatest in the world!
Have a great time in Seatle

Melissa S     at 5:46 am

Yea! US always make it more real.

Good luck with the sickness. I had all day sickness till 28 weeks with this pregnancy – you oddly get use to it. People told me all the sickness tricks but none (including zofran) helped. Hope one works for you.

My OB this time is male too and I really like him. He is much more honest and straight-forward than my female OB was. Weird but they are all different so you find the one who fits you best.

Kim     at 5:47 am

Awww gorgeous photos!!
How we are created is the most amazing thing ever!
Have fun in Seattle!! :D

Meghan     at 6:00 am

Congrats! That is very exciting. I’m looking forward to hearing about nutrition and pregnancy, if you chose to post about that at some point! Did you make any pre-pregnancy food or supplement changes?

Definitely planning to write a LOT about that, once I’m back in town. I didn’t make too many changes, but I did start taking a pre-natal vitamin and also made an effort to start using all chemical-free products.

JL goes Vegan     at 6:22 am

Aw, baby Malone! I know you must have felt tremendous relief to see and hear your baby! So exciting! Hope you’re getting great rest on the west coast and can bask in the joy!

Sarah (Running To Slow Things Down)     at 6:40 am

Awww!!! So exciting! Congratulations! :D

Kris     at 6:52 am

So great everything went well at your appointment! Have a great time in Seattle!

Erin @ Would Rather Walk. Or Run     at 7:08 am

Ooh! Enjoy Seattle! If your stomach allows it, be sure to check out Cinnamon Works across from Pike’s Place Market. They have a whole slew of cookies and muffins, many of the vegan persuasion.

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen     at 7:08 am

Congrats!!!

I live in Old Town too and travel to DC for doc appointments. If you end up not being happy with the practice you’ve selected (I personally don’t care for the big multi-doc practices in DC) I highly recommend Dr. Anita Sikand, over by GWU. I’ve been going to her for a few years now and she’s great – it’s just her, a nurse, and a receptionist in the whole place, and unlike most doctors she tends to be very prompt.

Have a great visit to Seattle!

Katie KS     at 7:09 am

Cute ultrasound – did they confirm your due date you thought? I threw up Thursday too, so I feel your pain. It’s always been all day nausea for me … With E I threw up thru the first two trimesters even with zofran (which I got at 12 weeks). This time I started it earlier and seem to be doing better. I hope it goes away pronto for you. No fun to be traveling and puking. Ick. Have fun in Seattle. One of those places I’d like to go!

Yep – still October 15th! Man on man I hope the morning sickness doesn’t last that long. It is so exhausting to feel bad every single day (all day!). Of course it’s worth it, but I’m ready for phase two. :)

alison     at 7:12 am

I’m so glad you got to hear the heartbeat today. Baby heartbeats are really fast, so that’s a good sign.

Enjoy Seattle!

bridget     at 7:12 am

blessings to you three! so happy to wake up this a.m. and see your wonderful post … xxoo

Lauren     at 7:12 am

This is so exciting!! I am so confident that everything is going to go so smoothly for you guys during this time. Baby Malone is one precious little thing, even from the size of a pea! :) Congrats again!

Have a great trip.

Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan)     at 7:14 am

Aww :) I’m so happy for you and Casey! What a wonderful day for you and your new family. Hope that you get some rest and that the throwing up subsides so you can have some fun :)

caitie     at 7:19 am

Soo exciting!!! I cant wait to be pregnant (in a long time haha). It has got to be the coolest ever!!! One of my friends got pregnant young (with TWINS!!!), and the first time I felt them kick her belly was seriously the most amazing thing I have ever felt! And it wasnt even me! Just knowing that there really is a BABY!!!!!!!! in there is so weird!
Enjoy your time in Seattle! And let us know where you go because I am going there later this year!

BB     at 7:26 am

Oh hearing the heartbeat is such a happy and reassuring moment. So glad for you & Casey. Brings back memories for me of hearing my little guy’s heart beat for the first time. It was so fast my husband thought it was multiple heart beats and he turned to the doctor ashen faced and said “Oh my God, how many are in there?!?!” The Doctor and I both had a good laugh!

When the image came up, I was like “Just one, right?” Casey says, “are you SURE?” He was totally pulling for twins. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 7:33 am

The baby is beautiful! :) Whenever I see sonograms, I cannot even believe how miraculous the human body is. I am so glad you are feeling better and a little more calm now that you have seen the baby on the screen!

Karen     at 7:37 am

With my first pregnancy, very little helped the morning sickness. But with my second, lifesavers really helped. I kept a roll with me all the time, and any time I felt a little yucky, I popped one in my mouth. It really helped! Other people swear by ginger candy. They make special Preggo Pops that you can get at baby/maternity stores, but I never tried them.

Debbie B. (DebaRooRoo)     at 7:40 am

So happy!! I can’t even imagine the moment of seeing your lil baby on the screen. Enjoy every single moment of it (other than the morning sickness :( that is)!

Rachel     at 7:52 am

I am so happy to hear the wonderful news! Hope you feel better!

Jayna @ Healthy Living Bites     at 7:54 am

Awww, I am loving all these baby posts! It brings back so many memories of my pregnancies (that is the fun of having friends who are pregnant!). U/S are the best, it is so reassuring to SEE that little life in there!

With my first I was shocked to find out that I would have to see ALL the doctors in the practice I went to, I thought it’d just be MY doctor. Made sense though since you can’t guarantee who will be on call when you deliver. Turns out I absolutely fell in love with the doctor who delivered Brett, and having the collective brain of 6 docs was fantastic when I started having complications at the end (turns out my gallbladder needed to come out).

I see you’re getting lots of tips on morning sickness. . . here’s one I didn’t see- ginger tea. I made my own by boiling fresh sliced ginger for about 20 mins then drank it how I normally drink my tea, with cream and honey. It was very calming through both times. With my second (when the morning sickness was MUCH MUCH worse, though still not TOO bad) I also found relief in hard candies. Something about the sugar. . . I got made fun of so much for always having a blow pop in my mouth first thing in the morning at work- especially since we had to BE THERE at 5 am LOL

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 7:59 am

Oh, I’m so glad! I started getting nervous when you hadn’t updated.

jen @ taste life     at 8:06 am

I was happy to see this post this morning. Would you believe I was actually worried about you since you told us your doctor’s appointment was on the 10th, but you hadn’t posted anything yet?? So happy to hear about the heart beat.

Haha, sorry! I was trapped on an airplane!

Donna     at 8:13 am

What a beautiful little bean!
Congrats :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 8:19 am

That first u/s is so exciting! I’m sure you’re getting more than your share of tips, but I recommend Garden of Life RAW prenatals. They have ginger, which helps with morning sickness (at least in theory, right?!!) Good luck and I hope you are feeling better soon. :-)

Hope     at 8:25 am

Congrats! That must be the most incredible moment when you hear your baby’s heartbeat for the first time! I can only imagine. :) I can’t wait for that someday! I’m so excited to read along with you on this journey! :)

Anne     at 8:28 am

SO excited for you guys!!!!! What a sweet first picture of your little raspberry :)

Staci     at 8:29 am

Your little bean is just adorable, and I love that you go to hear the heartbeat! Take it easy – these first several weeks will literally drain the life out of you. Have a great time in Seattle!

Cindy Robinson     at 8:37 am

So so so excited for you. I was crying when you said you guys saw him (or her!) for the first time :)

Carolyn @ Lovin' Losing     at 8:37 am

So glad you were able to hear the heartbeat. What a relief! And what a scary statistic. 70%!?

colleen     at 8:42 am

Aweeee! Thanks so much for sharing. You guys are in for some amazing firsts. I’ll never forget those moments. Make sure Casey builds the strength in his hands – it will come in handy down the road. Have a great time in Seattle!

Sarah     at 8:45 am

Very exciting day for your family! Congrats.

I am getting married in June and turning 30 and November and we had planned to wait 3 or so years before trying for a baby but these posts are giving me a bit of baby fever!

Is Casey an actuary? I always thought he was a writer as well. That’s cool! (I’m in finance and have worked with actuaries before. Such smart people!!)

He is an actuary! And a total smarty pants. :)

Jenny     at 8:46 am

I am so excited for you! I’m sure your story is an inspiration to women who are trying to conceive! :) CONGRATS!

Kiran     at 8:52 am

CONGRATS! So excited for Newest Malone :)

Jordan Wandfluh     at 8:52 am

I am interested about the nutrition as well. Are you planning to raise your baby vegetarian or give them the choice? My boyfriend and I talk about the future and when we have kids. I would love to raise my baby vegetarian but my boyfriend eats meat and wants to raise them with the choice. What do you think?

I have a long post planned for next week on vegetarian nutrition for pregnancy – what I’m eating, what I’m not eating, all that good stuff! I will also plan to write about raising the baby vegetarian – that is our plan, but of course when old enough – they can make their own choices.

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count     at 8:53 am

Emily, I am so happy for you and Casey (and your little squiggle!) Take good care of yourself and enjoy Seattle. (Squiggle is what I referred to my niece before she was born. Back then, we didn’t know what the baby would be so it took care of the whole him/her thing!) Best of luck!

Arlene     at 9:02 am

CONGRATS! What wonderful news! Try San Pelligrino sparkling water along with the saltines. The mineral content is a little different than other sparkling waters and the bubbles are softer — a good combination for morning sickness.

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 9:04 am

I giggled when you said the raspberry’s heartbeat must take after Huey.

Jennifer@ knackfornutrition     at 9:10 am

I know Im like the last person to comment ever, but I assure you I have been reading diligently and I just wanted to let you know how genuinely happy and excited I am for you. You are going to make an amazing mother. Congratulations.

Lisa     at 9:11 am

AMAZING!!!! Hearing the baby’s heartbeat for the first time is definitely one of the most incredible experiences I’ve ever had. As soon as I saw the baby on the screen and could see it’s heart fluttering I started crying and saying oh my God, over and over again. Yaay for Baby Malone and its strong heartbeat!

I read that the paper sonogram pictures are printed on fades over time so if you want to keep it in a book or something be sure to make a photo copy of it.

Julia     at 9:12 am

You are too precious – both of you are! I know how exciting this time is, enjoy it. Also, if you don’t write about food for a while it’s fine. (I couldn’t look at food for my first trimester. Took my husband a while to realize I wasn’t just being overly dramatic).

Elisha     at 9:23 am

Congratulations!!

Jaime     at 9:27 am

It probably sounds weird, but pregnant women really fascinate me, so this is a treat. Many women I have known are really squeamish about the experience of being pregnant, which is unfortunate to me because this amazing, difficult, life-altering process should not be taboo.

If you feel up to it, you should model for an art class. They love baby mommas! ;-)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing     at 9:37 am

Wow, that is so amazing. Casey looks ecstatic! Good call on the saltines — you’re already a prepared mama ; ) Enjoy your trip!

Sarah @ The Strength of Faith     at 9:38 am

Congratulations! Baby Malone is beautiful!

Kristy@RunTheLongRoad     at 9:41 am

Congratulations! Enjoy your time in Seattle! I love reading all these baby posts :)

Leah     at 9:43 am

Loved this post. :) :)

Alice     at 9:54 am

So many congratulations!! Please say hi to the Emerald City for me, what a lovely place to spend some happy days :)

Emily     at 9:58 am

So happy for you two :) What a gift to see your little bundle of joy so soon :)

Melissa @ HerGreenLife     at 9:59 am

I could not blog about food (or anything else really — I just had a hard time focusing) or read food blogs for the first trimester. It just made me feel extra yucky. I know everyone’s experience is different, but I’m feeling really good now in the 2nd trimester. I hope you will find the same.

Ashley     at 10:02 am

That is amazing!

Oh no, the dreaded morning sickness! That’s not something I look forward to!

LoriV.     at 10:03 am

Yay, Baby Malone!! Amazing! Awesome that you got to have an u/s. I think more doctors need to do early u/s to give the mommies peace of mind. What lovely first photos! Enjoy Seattle. Hopefully it won’t rain on you. It’s looking like a nice day over here in Eastern Washington.

faith     at 10:06 am

I know that dry, salty, carbs sound best when you are nauseous but protein will actually help much more-lots of protein, especially at dinner.
CONGRATULATIONS and best wishes!

Lindsay     at 10:09 am

The little raspberry is already adorable :)

Amykinz @ Foodie4Healing     at 10:14 am

First of all, I’d like to smack your Dr for giving you the 70% statistic before doing your ultrasound. How exactly is that edifying for anyone involved? Uh. Sometimes I wonder why Dr’s do certain things. A few weeks ago I was in the ER w/a kidney stone. I had no idea what was going on, I thought I was miscarrying, because I had blood & pain. The first thing the Dr says, “So, you have a history of miscarriage? Does this feel similar to those?” I was horrified! When I actually replied, “No, it feels different” he said, “Yeah, that’s because I think you have a kidney stone.” I wantd to whack him right then and there!!!

Secondly, no one can ever explain what a great feeling it is to see your baby for the first time & to hear that heartbeat! Did the Dr tell you what percentage miscarriages after seeing a fetus & hearing a heartbeat? I don’t know the exact percentage, but I know it decreases SIGNIFCANTLY!!!

Lastly, I had trouble w/nausea, too. I found that Ginger Snaps, Ginger Tea & Ginger Ale help a ton! Also, my Naturopathic Dr has me on an all-natural pre-natal vitamin called, “Opti Natal” made by the Ecletic Institute. Supposedly, it has anti-nausea agents in it. You take 2 tablets 3x per day. If all else fails, ask your Dr for a prescription for Zofran. It’s awesome!

Yeah I dont think it was totally necessary to scare us with numbers. After that we had no more questions – just get us to the ultrasound room!! :)

nicole Reply:

doctors tell you those things because of malpractice. you can feasibly sue (or people have sued, whether or not you would) if you did miscarry and your doctor didn’t inform you of the chances. clearly it wouldn’t be the doctor’s direct fault, but there are people who would sue because they were not informed of risk. generally you can assume that if a doctor is telling you something scary or unsettling, its because you can sue him or her later for not warning you. it is unfortunate that doctors have to practice so defensively, but thats the climate now.

Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle     at 10:29 am

Awww, I just got a little flutter reading this. So happy for you :)

Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well     at 10:34 am

Go little raspberry go!!! :D Such a wonderful post. Please print and frame that photo of Casey with the ultrasound pictures!

Mariah Sim     at 10:35 am

Omg congratulations!!! I’m sure the baby will be beautiful like you! :)

Felicia (a taste of health with balance)     at 10:35 am

this got me all teary eyed, i love it, i am so happy for you emily!

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 10:40 am

aww how wonderful!

Charlie     at 10:42 am

Can i just say how excited I was when I read that youre going to have a baby. I have been super super busy the last couple of days and havent read your blog for about a week, so i got to read all the posts at once!! i am so excited for you, you will make such great parents! peace and love xx

Ashley     at 10:44 am

AHHHmaaaaazing!!!!! You’re totally giving me baby fever. Chris might hunt you down. ;) Love the photo of the little bean!! Do you have any gut feeling what it is? Couldn’t be happier for you two. Seriously! xoxoxo

I keep coming up with boy names, but I have NO idea.

Judy     at 10:46 am

So sweet and cute! Congrats:)

Lauren     at 10:52 am

This is such good news, well besides the whole morning sickness thing :)I’m so happy for you two!

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 11:11 am

Oh yay! I’m so happy for you. I know that sweet heartbeat brought you much needed joy and relief :) What a cutie bb already is! Congratulations again! XOXO

Angela     at 11:11 am

Congratulations =) I’m so happy for you guys and your little raspberry. I hope you have fun in Seattle. We are a bit soggy right now, but the city is so much fun and there is so much to see. We’ve lived here almost 2 years and we still get excited when we get to go downtown.

Carol     at 11:15 am

So happy for you both:)

Whitney     at 11:15 am

#1 – What a fabulous first doctor’s appointment! So very excited for you and Casey!

#2 – What brings you to Seattle? That is where I live! :) Hope you enjoy your time here and the weather isn’t too rainy!

Just a quick trip here for some family business this weekend! We are meeting up with some other readers tomorrow at Mighty O donuts in Greenlake if you’d like to join! :)

Whitney Reply:

Oh yeah? I’m going to be in that area tomorrow morning….what time? :)

9:30am! You should come!! Vegan DONUTS! :)

Angela Reply:

Me too. I live pretty up in Lake Stevens but it may be doable.

Any and all are welcome! Please join us! :)

Tina     at 11:20 am

How exciting!! So happy for you two! I hope you enjoy your trip as well.

Karis (Karis' Kitchen)     at 11:20 am

I also wanted to recommend ginger for morning sickness. A bit strange for me to recommend because I’ve never been pregnant, however it works wonders for my motion sickness (I throw up on anything that moves, even elevators!), and my friends swore by ginger during their first trimesters. Hope you have a wonderful time in Seattle!

Kaci     at 11:23 am

This post gave me goosebumps and had me smiling from ear to ear! I’m so happy for you two!!

Alaina     at 11:37 am

That must be such an amazing feeling, seeing your child’s heartbeat for the first time. :-)

Few more years for me…

Caroline     at 11:43 am

What an amazing experience! Has your morning sickness been bad?

It comes and goes, but eating has been tough.

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine     at 11:56 am

So exciting!! You two (and a half) must be on cloud 9 right now!!

Sorry about the morning sickness! Hope that doesn’t last!

Maryann     at 12:02 pm

How exciting!! And yay for Seattle! I went to college there and miss it so much, looking forward to your post about it :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 12:13 pm

Aweeee that is so exciting!! Your raspberry looks like it is in Oklahoma! (the panhandle state)

I definitely asked if that was a normal sized uterus. Looks totally whacko to me!

Clare @ Fitting It All In     at 12:46 pm

Congratulations Emily!! I can only imagine how exciting this little blessing is for you. Hope all goes will with the rest of your pregnancy!

How exciting! I hope you feel better. Morning sickness stinks.

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme)     at 1:13 pm

I totally can’t tell what is the head or anything! I need sonogram pointers. Congratulations Emily! Can’t even imagine what it must have been like. Can’t believe that is the miscarriage risk before hearing a heartbeat! That is terrifying.

Nichole (Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion)     at 1:20 pm

I hope you enjoy your vacation – I am heading to the west coast on march 22nd and hoping things stay calm there since I have family there.

Candy (Healthy in Candy Land)     at 1:29 pm

Welcome to the Pacific Northwest! I’d love to meet you, but I am running the St. Patty’s Day run in Tacoma in the am. So glad your appointment went well!

Roz     at 2:03 pm

I read often, and don’t comment all that much, but HAD to say today “WOW! I’M SO EXCITED FOR YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND!!” Have a wonderful weekend.

Sarah     at 2:07 pm

Congrats to you and Casey! I have to say that pic of Casey holding the ultrasound totally melted my heart.. that smile is golden.. you must put that in a frame!

Heather     at 2:14 pm

congrats! thats awesome, so happy for yall!

Hollie     at 2:16 pm

Wonderful! What was the heart rate? They say it is a myth, but the ‘higher for a girl’ was right for me, both times. :)

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life     at 2:25 pm

I am so glad that you both had such a great appointment! Reading all of this makes me very excited for when the time comes for me. :) Congratulations a million times over!

Jen     at 2:27 pm

This post makes my day – no, my weekend!

Jen     at 2:36 pm

Oh, wait. Seattle…That’s where I live. I don’t know if you have free time or even if you are feeling up to it but Discovery Park has some nice trails and views and it is within the Seattle city limits (meaning, if you are staying downtown, buses go there).
Other good things: Crumpet shop in Pike Place Market, Purple Cafe for lunch and Steelhead Diner (near Pike Place Market). Outside downtown, running around Green Lake – about 3 miles around, Green Leaf Vietnamese restaurant and Tamarind Tree restaurant(in the International District – walking distance to downtown) Ballard is my favorite neighborhood in Seattle – Sunday year-round farmers market and you can bus there from downtown (bus #17 or 18)…cute shops and good restaurants there too.
If you don’t have time to explore, enjoy the scenery and relax.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather     at 2:48 pm

What an exciting day! Hope Seattle is fun for you two!

Maria     at 3:06 pm

Congrats on the little bambino! I hope the rest of your pregnancy continues to go well :-) The whole something growing inside of you kicking and punching freaks me out! But I can’t wait for that day.

Amanda D     at 3:35 pm

Casey looks SO happy in that picture – I can’t wait to hear more about your pregnancy adventures!!

Susan @ Saucy Living     at 3:39 pm

Congratulations!!! I’m so looking forward to following your journey to parenthood!

Elisabeth     at 3:48 pm

Hope your trip to Seattle is fun (especially with the tsunami warnings for the west coast…be safe!)

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 3:56 pm

Glad the man doctor was nice. I have generally always had man doctors (even “those” kind of man doctors), and I’ve been able to deal. Just switched to a woman one… she told me she’s a feminist… teehee.

Molly     at 3:57 pm

Congrats on the successful ultrasound! I too was rocked by the morning (and evening) sickness bug through about week 18. The ONLY thing that would help me was really tart flavors like lemon or lime (fresh squeezed lemonade, popsicles, etc). I even got to the point of sucking on raw lemon slices to quell the nausea. Now I’m at 19 weeks and feeling much better. Hopefully you’re not in it for the long haul!

Carin     at 4:23 pm

Just read your last 3 posts from this week. Another cool idea is to get a journal that’s actually for your baby (in addition to the one you keep for yourself, of course!). I did this and it’s a lot of fun — and so great when your child’s old enough to appreciate it. It includes my first sonogram of my daughter, a clipping from a newspaper the day she was born … and goes on to include “baby’s first word,” etc.

Rofomom @REAL life in Rofo     at 4:28 pm

Awwww, SO, SO happy for you!

Jessi @ Quirky Cookery     at 4:49 pm

So exciting! Isn’t it amazing how so many virtual blog pals can be over the top excited for you? Love it!

Yena     at 4:50 pm

I’m from Seattle and so excited that you’ll get to see the city. I highly recommend Araya’s Thai Vegetarian Restaurant. :)

Kristy     at 5:19 pm

Congrats to you both! Enjoy every moment as it is happening. Stay present because it all goes by so quickly! :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table     at 5:35 pm

Congratulations! My best friend is just a few weeks ahead of you. I’m excited seeing the sonograms and it’s not even mine – I can’t imagine how thrilled you both must be.

Just think of all the homemade baby food you can create! :)

Lauren     at 7:30 pm

I know I”m a little late in saying this, but congratulations!!! This is such wonderful news and I’m so excited for you and Casey. Glad to hear the sonogram went well. I’m excited to follow along your journey and really interested to read your posts about nutrition, etc as your pregnancy progresses. I’m a vegetarian and plan to stay that way whenever (IF ever) I eventually become pregnant, so I’m looking forward to learning through you!

katie     at 8:32 pm

awww, congrats! your little Malone Bean is so cute! :-)

I am amazed at that 70% stat the OB gave! So every 8-week pregnancy is at that chance of miscarriage until there’s a heartbeat? I had no idea.

Have fun in Seattle!

Kath     at 10:06 am

Congrats to the raspberry!!

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 11:39 pm

Love that big ol’ smile on Casey’s face. :)

Monica     at 9:51 am

This post makes me feel so excited! When my husband and I found out that we were pregnant this last Saturday I felt so scared and on Sunday was just in shock. The excitement and happiness is really starting to kick in and this post just makes me smile!

kath     at 9:20 am

I know this post is super-old by now, but I actually came back to it because I just had my 8 week ultrasound yesterday and I remembered this and wanted to re-read it. First of all let me say that I love, love, love your blog and reading your pregnancy journey was so wonderful, and really informative. You are a great writer, and the way you share your life so openly (and the way you live your life!) is inspiring and awesome.

There is one thing bothering me about this post though, and I think it needs to be pointed out for any other women who might read it early on in pregnancy: I think your doctor must have misspoken about the miscarriage risk. The highest number I have ever heard for miscarriage is 30% (meaning 70% would NOT miscarry). Maybe, just maybe 70% could possibly, maybe (although I still highly doubt it) be correct if he were including chemical pregnancies, but those would have ended long before 8 weeks. And even the 30% statistic I have heard only for women over age 35, when the risk increases. Anyway, I hope I don’t come across wrong, and I think your blog is excellent, but I don’t want anyone who reads this to be worried unnecessarily before they hear a heartbeat!

PS: I am so glad your pregnancy went well, and your new stories and pictures of your little one melt my heart. Best -