For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

The Newest Malone.

I can already tell today is going to be one of those days that feels a lot longer than 24 hours!  Woke up this morning sick as a dog.  I alternated throwing up with attempting to get my suitcase packed, make sure I remembered everything, and get us out of the house on time to make our appointment!

Due to crazy pouring rain in DC this morning, we walked in the door with not a minute to spare!  I didn’t get to meet with the doctor I originally scheduled, which bothered me when I first found out (it was a man – I wanted a woman).  But he turned out to be really great, very comforting, and happily answered all my questions.

We sat for a few minutes and talked about family history, being vegetarian (he was totally supportive), nutrition, risks, and other things.  He mentioned that until we heard a heartbeat, the risk of miscarriage at that point was 70%.  I don’t think the actuary (risk analyst) in Casey liked those odds very much.  He suddenly seemed very nervous, but funny enough – I felt ready and relaxed.

We moved down the hall to the sonogram room, and got ready to (hopefully) see our baby for the very first time.  We both stared at the screen as he fished around for the image, and I’m pretty sure I broke all the bones in Casey’s hand from squeezing it so hard.  When the image first popped up, I saw the empty black (uterus) space, but there was nothing in it.  My heart dropped.

And then he moved the imager around a little more, and all of the sudden this amazing little image popped up!

Casey and I both found ourselves staring at the screen saying “oh my gooooood” over and over again.  It was so incredible – I’ll never forget it!  Then the doctor turned up the heart monitor and suddenly we heard a loud THUMP THUMP THUMP!  What a heartbeat – I couldn’t believe how fast it was!  Casey thinks the baby takes after Huey, who’s heart is always racing.  :)

Not that it didn’t feel real already, but actually seeing that there is something growing inside me (totally weird) makes it feel so much more tangible.  We have both been smiling all day!

After our appointment, we headed to a Caribou Coffee to get some work done for a few hours, before we needed to head to the airport.

After this morning’s morning sickness incident, I came prepared with a sleeve of saltines for the road.

We worked for a few hours, and I aaaaalmost got my blog post finished, but of course ran out of time right at the end.

Luckily we left for the airport when we did.  It wasn’t our luckiest day of travelling – looooong security lines, no good food in our terminal, and then sitting for two hours on the runway before we could take off.  We have FINALLY arrived in Seattle at what is 10:30 Pacific time – which means this is as late as I have stayed up in a very long time.

Hitting the hotel bed immediately, so that I can rest up for a fun day out in Seattle tomorrow!  What an exhausting, but wonderful day.

Jen     at 2:27 pm

This post makes my day – no, my weekend!

Jen     at 2:36 pm

Oh, wait. Seattle…That’s where I live. I don’t know if you have free time or even if you are feeling up to it but Discovery Park has some nice trails and views and it is within the Seattle city limits (meaning, if you are staying downtown, buses go there).
Other good things: Crumpet shop in Pike Place Market, Purple Cafe for lunch and Steelhead Diner (near Pike Place Market). Outside downtown, running around Green Lake – about 3 miles around, Green Leaf Vietnamese restaurant and Tamarind Tree restaurant(in the International District – walking distance to downtown) Ballard is my favorite neighborhood in Seattle – Sunday year-round farmers market and you can bus there from downtown (bus #17 or 18)…cute shops and good restaurants there too.
If you don’t have time to explore, enjoy the scenery and relax.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather     at 2:48 pm

What an exciting day! Hope Seattle is fun for you two!

Maria     at 3:06 pm

Congrats on the little bambino! I hope the rest of your pregnancy continues to go well :-) The whole something growing inside of you kicking and punching freaks me out! But I can’t wait for that day.

Amanda D     at 3:35 pm

Casey looks SO happy in that picture – I can’t wait to hear more about your pregnancy adventures!!

Susan @ Saucy Living     at 3:39 pm

Congratulations!!! I’m so looking forward to following your journey to parenthood!

Elisabeth     at 3:48 pm

Hope your trip to Seattle is fun (especially with the tsunami warnings for the west coast…be safe!)

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 3:56 pm

Glad the man doctor was nice. I have generally always had man doctors (even “those” kind of man doctors), and I’ve been able to deal. Just switched to a woman one… she told me she’s a feminist… teehee.

Molly     at 3:57 pm

Congrats on the successful ultrasound! I too was rocked by the morning (and evening) sickness bug through about week 18. The ONLY thing that would help me was really tart flavors like lemon or lime (fresh squeezed lemonade, popsicles, etc). I even got to the point of sucking on raw lemon slices to quell the nausea. Now I’m at 19 weeks and feeling much better. Hopefully you’re not in it for the long haul!

Carin     at 4:23 pm

Just read your last 3 posts from this week. Another cool idea is to get a journal that’s actually for your baby (in addition to the one you keep for yourself, of course!). I did this and it’s a lot of fun — and so great when your child’s old enough to appreciate it. It includes my first sonogram of my daughter, a clipping from a newspaper the day she was born … and goes on to include “baby’s first word,” etc.

Rofomom @REAL life in Rofo     at 4:28 pm

Awwww, SO, SO happy for you!

Jessi @ Quirky Cookery     at 4:49 pm

So exciting! Isn’t it amazing how so many virtual blog pals can be over the top excited for you? Love it!

Yena     at 4:50 pm

I’m from Seattle and so excited that you’ll get to see the city. I highly recommend Araya’s Thai Vegetarian Restaurant. :)

Kristy     at 5:19 pm

Congrats to you both! Enjoy every moment as it is happening. Stay present because it all goes by so quickly! :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table     at 5:35 pm

Congratulations! My best friend is just a few weeks ahead of you. I’m excited seeing the sonograms and it’s not even mine – I can’t imagine how thrilled you both must be.

Just think of all the homemade baby food you can create! :)

Lauren     at 7:30 pm

I know I”m a little late in saying this, but congratulations!!! This is such wonderful news and I’m so excited for you and Casey. Glad to hear the sonogram went well. I’m excited to follow along your journey and really interested to read your posts about nutrition, etc as your pregnancy progresses. I’m a vegetarian and plan to stay that way whenever (IF ever) I eventually become pregnant, so I’m looking forward to learning through you!

katie     at 8:32 pm

awww, congrats! your little Malone Bean is so cute! :-)

I am amazed at that 70% stat the OB gave! So every 8-week pregnancy is at that chance of miscarriage until there’s a heartbeat? I had no idea.

Have fun in Seattle!

Kath     at 10:06 am

Congrats to the raspberry!!

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 11:39 pm

Love that big ol’ smile on Casey’s face. :)

Monica     at 9:51 am

This post makes me feel so excited! When my husband and I found out that we were pregnant this last Saturday I felt so scared and on Sunday was just in shock. The excitement and happiness is really starting to kick in and this post just makes me smile!

kath     at 9:20 am

I know this post is super-old by now, but I actually came back to it because I just had my 8 week ultrasound yesterday and I remembered this and wanted to re-read it. First of all let me say that I love, love, love your blog and reading your pregnancy journey was so wonderful, and really informative. You are a great writer, and the way you share your life so openly (and the way you live your life!) is inspiring and awesome.

There is one thing bothering me about this post though, and I think it needs to be pointed out for any other women who might read it early on in pregnancy: I think your doctor must have misspoken about the miscarriage risk. The highest number I have ever heard for miscarriage is 30% (meaning 70% would NOT miscarry). Maybe, just maybe 70% could possibly, maybe (although I still highly doubt it) be correct if he were including chemical pregnancies, but those would have ended long before 8 weeks. And even the 30% statistic I have heard only for women over age 35, when the risk increases. Anyway, I hope I don’t come across wrong, and I think your blog is excellent, but I don’t want anyone who reads this to be worried unnecessarily before they hear a heartbeat!

PS: I am so glad your pregnancy went well, and your new stories and pictures of your little one melt my heart. Best –

running shoes