Tips for Staying Healthy in the City.

Hi friends!  We’re planning another full day in Seattle today (in the rain, boo!), including a blogger meetup at a vegan donut shop this morning – YUM!  While I’m off exploring this city, it seemed like perfect timing to share a guest post with you guys – all about staying healthy when you visit big cities!  Many thanks to Beth for sharing her info with Daily Garnish readers.  :)

————————————————————————————————————————————-

My name is Beth and I’m the author of the Washington DC Food Blog Dining and Dishing. I’m a big fan of the beautiful recipes featured on Daily Garnish and am excited to be guest posting for Emily while she’s away this weekend.

As I’m sure Emily would agree, DC life can be full of temptation! Everywhere you look there are things to do, people to meet and places to eat and drink. On the upside, living in a big city like DC also means great access to all kinds of healthy resources.

On Dining and Dishing I try to explore the balance between foodie fun and healthy living in a big city. And in today’s post I’m going to highlight some of the best healthy resources that I’ve found. I hope some of these ideas can apply to other big cities and with a little creativity – most everywhere!

Food Shopping

DC is full of organic and natural food vendors including multiple Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods locations. For a splurge, you can’t beat the gourmet selection at Dean & Deluca. And for local food, Farmer’s markets like FRESHFARM and Eastern Market have some of the best produce I’ve found!

(Emily’s note – remember just yesterday I found a little grocery store to pick up some drinks and snacks!  Local grocery stores are some of the most affordable places to find healthy snacks on the go when you don’t feel like eating out for every meal.)

clip_image001

Restaurants

Absolutely my favorite part of big city living is the abundance of amazing restaurants. There is a huge emphasis on local, organic and sustainable food offerings at the moment, which is great news for diners looking to stay healthy! Some of my DC-area faves include: Founding Farmers (Foggy Bottom), Addie’s (Rockville), Woodberry Kitchen (Baltimore) and Sticky Fingers vegan bakery (Columbia Heights).

(Emily’s note – a great resource for finding good options when travelling are some of the VEG websites.  VegDC has a comprehensive listing of vegetarian options in the DC area, and this weekend I’ve been using VegSeattle to find new spots to try here!)

clip_image002

The Great Outdoors

There are many places to enjoy a good walk or run while taking in the sites. The National Mall is great, especially in the peaceful hours of the early morning before the tourists show up. Rock Creek Park features 12 miles of trails stretching from the Potomac River to the border of Maryland. And just outside the city, Great Falls Park is absolutely breathtaking!

clip_image003

Public Transportation

I got rid of my car when I moved to DC and haven’t regretted it for a second! The metro and bus system make navigating the city pretty simple but when given the chance, I always walk. Not only is it an easy way to sneak in some exercise, it’s a great way to look around at everything this gorgeous city has to offer.

clip_image004

If you have any tips of your own for healthy resources in your city, feel free to share! Thanks for reading along and a big thanks to Emily for having me today. Have a great weekend everyone!

- Beth @ www.DiningAndDishing.com

————————————————————————————————————————————-

Thank YOU, Beth!  Do you guys have any additional tips to include?  What are some of your favorite ways to stay healthy when you travel?  I’ll be back in a bit with recaps of our amazing vegetarian feast last night.  Mmmmm still thinking about it…

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing     at 11:10 am

When I travel, I focus on walking as much as I can (rather than driving), and by making sure I have healthy snacks constantly at my disposal. I start feeling terrible with no produce, so I now know that my first mission when I arrive anywhere is to find a good store or market to stock up on fresh finger-food veggies (carrots, cucumbers, bell peppers, etc), fruit, nut butter, and hummus. Perishables are easily kept cool in an ice bucket at a hotel if I don’t have fridge access, and everything is small enough to fit in my bag so I won’t be caught without a back-up or snack on the go. This system works very well for me! : ) Loved reading more about DC — thanks!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 11:18 am

I love this post! I always go to the local grocery stores when we travel to cities and load up on fresh produce for snacking during the day. I am a huge fan of research too before I travel. I find that if you look things up, you aren’t so lost when you get to where you are going and that makes the frustrations of finding healthy options and fun activities a lot less for me!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather     at 11:21 am

I find that I walk SO much when traveling. It seems to counter any of the extra bites and nibbles I try. I do make sure to pack tons of snacks so that I never feel starves and eat something I really dont want to.

Great tips Beth and I hope you have a fun time in Seattle Emily! I was just there a couple weeks ago and ate some amazing food. Can’t wait to hear about your vegetarian feast :)

Marci     at 11:52 am

Agree with walking and not worrying about a gym. Plan your week so you can walk or run outside and not need something inside like weights or a yoga mat. And bring snacks that serve as breakfast or snacks to save money on those. And ask for a fridge in a hotel room, usually are complimentary if you just ask.

Katie     at 11:54 am

I’m in Seattle! Weather is pretty typical today – enjoy the city!

Tina     at 12:16 pm

I’ve been wanting to visit DC for awhile now, and may be finally doing it this summer, so I will definitely be coming back to this post for reference later!

I feel like it would be a whole lot easier based on this post and others I read on your blog and other blogs, to eat healthy (yet delicious) when living in a city like DC or close to it. I live in the country and unless it’s summer and you can go to the farmers market, it’s difficult to find fresh food, vegetarian foods, really anything sometimes, when you only have a small antiquated grocery store. I’m jealous of all the options you have!

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 12:21 pm

i agree with these tips…and i definitely use them when i visit certain family members…they’re not so into healthy food or fresh food so i need to bring my own :)

Lee     at 12:22 pm

Aww, I grew up within walking distance to Addie’s.

I also try to walk a lot while on vacation. Although this totally backfired on my Vegas trip and I ended up with plantar facitis. lol

Stacey     at 12:54 pm

Have fun in Seattle Emily. The vegan donut place sounds great!

Sydney     at 1:13 pm

I like to use this site when I travel:

You can look up local/sustainable restaurants, grocery stores, farms, etc. wherever you’re going. So helpful!

Victoria (District Chocoholic)     at 1:31 pm

In the city, WALK EVERYWHERE. Yes, EVERYWHERE. It’s one of the advantages of being in the city! Especially walk to the grocery store, it will limit your purchases of heavy junk food.

There are also lots of great gyms in the city, check to see if you belong to an organization that can give you a discount if the fees are high.

On travel, check out the hotel gym, agreements that the hotel has with local gyms, branches of your home gym, and GROCERY STORES.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 2:06 pm

Thank you for these tips!! There is a chance I may be going to school in DC next year, and I will be spending plenty of time food shopping and trying to stay healthy. Thank you girl!:)

Alaina     at 2:42 pm

When I travel I definitely like to walk everywhere and go to a local grocery store to pick up some staples. :-)

Ali     at 3:37 pm

Great tips! I also find that if I’m traveling to somewhere in a different climate, I make a point of trying lots of in-season produce that isn’t available or in season at home. Healthy and yummy! April strawberries in California, September pears in Niagara, spring fiddleheads in New Brunswick…on and on. And nothing compares to ripe mangoes in India…amazing!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin     at 4:09 pm

I love seeing local DC posts!! And you know I actually found organic onions at Dean and Deluca for $1 a pound! It made my day.

Stephanie @ LoveLaughterLight     at 5:08 pm

One noteworthy addition: mini hand sanitizer!

People sneeze and cough in their hands all the time and lord only knows how many germs are on our money!

Just sayin’…

Clare @ Fitting It All In     at 8:34 pm

Just like I had this morning, bringing baggies of oatmeal to make with hot water from a hotel coffee maker is my favorite healthy and cheap breakfast when I travel!

Gina     at 8:44 pm

Great tips Beth! Emily, it was so much fun meeting you two today (and feasting on yummy doughnuts!) I hope the rest of your trip goes well and safe travels back to DC! I can’t wait to hear your re-cap of Cafe Flora (love that place!)

Alexa @ SimpleEats     at 10:06 pm

I love packing my own snacks, and I love picking up healthy foods like fruits, veggies and local cheeses to munch on in the hotel room before going out. It makes me feel lighter on my feet, and that way I’m not famished later on.

Karen     at 10:52 pm

Hi Beth, I’ll have to check out your blog. I’m originally from Maryland and when I go home I like to visit D.C. and the restaurants…of course! Growing up, my parents were Baltimore people and acted as if D.C. was a million miles away…and it wasn’t. Thanks for providing new places to visit when I make it back home. Karen

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 3:58 pm

I honestly have not had the opportunity to travel much since I’ve changed into a healthier lifestyle, but when I went to visit my family a couple years ago I was able to stock up at Trader Joe’s on some lovely items to make my stay much easier and healthier! :)