Week 9: My Pregnancy Journey.

Now that my exciting news is finally out, I’m planning on writing about lots of different pregnancy topics.  In addition to that, I thought it would be fun to do a weekly update with current likes, dislikes, cravings, pictures, etc.  I know it will be fun for me to look back on down the road, and hopefully you guys will find it interesting as well.  So much of what I find online is the same generic info, and I thought I could try to provide something a little different – a “real” look at pregnancy week by week.  Here we go!

How Big is the Baby?

I am a total sucker for the “your baby is as big as a ____” emails that I get every week.  What can I say?  I like progress, and I love food analogies.  I am very proud to report that last week’s raspberry has now graduated to be the size of a GRAPE!  I am so proud.

How I’m Changing

As you can see, there is no baby bump at all yet, and I don’t imagine there will be one for a long time.  But it’s still fun to take progress pictures, right?  The most noticeable change so far is in my BOOBS!  I have never had big boobs in my life, so the promise of potentially going up two cup sizes is pretty exciting to me.  As this point I’ve probably gone from an A to a B – nothing crazy dramatic, but still noticeable and strange.  Oh, and they hurt.  A lot.

As for my weight, I’ve actually lost weight since becoming pregnant – probably about 3 to 4 pounds total.  I think this is a result of not eating nearly as many calories due to massive all-day nausea.  From what I have read though, this is normal and not something to be concerned about this early on in pregnancy.  I have no doubt I will gain it all back!

What I’m Eating

Sadly, this list is short.  Right now my favorites are bagels and cream cheese.  If I felt it was healthy to eat a bagel for every meal, I would.  I try very hard to mix in other foods though.  A few other tolerable things are bread, cheese, tomato soup, pizza, frozen peas, ice cold oranges, and grapes.  Preferred drink is lemonade, or anything fizzy with citrus.

What I’m NOT Eating

Everything else!  Literally looking at raw vegetables (like salads!) makes me gag.  Hummus is another stomach turner.  Other former favorites – like olives, avocado, peanut butter, beans – are all way off the list.  I am hopeful that my love for these foods will return, but for now that have all been banished to the back of the pantry.  Even coffee (decaf of course) doesn’t sound good anymore.

How I’m Feeling

Excited and a lot less anxious, now that we’ve heard the heartbeat.  I am feeling so much more relaxed!  Every week I have read that I am supposed to be simply dying of fatigue, and I kept thinking “Not me – I feel great!”  Until this week.  Now I feel like I could nap all day long – although I haven’t been letting myself give in to that very often.  But I can generally tell that my energy levels are lower this week.

Other than feeling tired, the all-day waves of nausea are starting to wear on me.  It’s hard to dislike eating, especially when I know it’s important for TWO of us now!  Each day is different though, and I know it’s all for a good reason.  Ginger chews are definitely helping.

I think that’s it for week nine!  I’m actually sort of late on this one since I’m half-way through week nine, so week ten should be here before we know it!  I wonder what the grape will be next week…

caitie     at 10:17 pm

Omg I cant wait for your belly to get bigger!! youre gonna be soo stinkin adorable!! I am looking forward to these updates!! YAY!

Michelle (From Seed To Tree)     at 10:19 pm

Love the grape comparison! What a fun way of thinking about the size of your baby. Good luck on it all! :)

Alicia     at 10:20 pm

congratulations again! can’t wait to read your posts :)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing     at 10:20 pm

This makes me so happy :) Hopefully you can graduate to some “old staples” soon!

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey     at 10:21 pm

I’m so looking forward to following your journey through your pregnancy! This was great. :)

~

Sarah R     at 10:23 pm

I ate lots of tomato soup early on too. It was literally the middle of August and I was eating hot soup. Cold oranges and grapes have been a constant craving, and I was finally able to accept vegetables and hummus back into my diet after I moved into the second trimester. For most, it gets better! I hope that you are in the majority.

Melissa @ HerGreenLife Reply:

Interesting how this is different for everyone. Tomatoes were a huge turn-off for me during the first trimester. Unfortunately, my first trimester coincided with our cooking and canning large batches of tomatoes this past fall.

Now tomatoes are fine (along with almost all other foods), but I still have some issues with winter squash. But I’m not complaining, second trimester has been good so far!

Sana     at 10:23 pm

You are an awesome grape mama! Can’t wait for next week!!

Jenn from Much to My Delight     at 10:24 pm

Wow–it must be kinda tricky to be a food blogger/recipe developer and not have a taste for regular foods! Hope the waves of nausea calm down soon for you!

Valerie @ Cupcakes & the City     at 10:24 pm

Ahh! I’m looking forward to reading these weekly updates and I KNOW you’ll love to look back on them at some point.
Congrats on the grape! Haha

lauren alysse     at 10:24 pm

This is so exciting Emily! I’m so happy for you and your grape! :)

Erica     at 10:26 pm

Your blog has always been interesting to me, but now I get extra excited about your updates. I feel like I’m heading down your same path. I’m 26 (almost 27) and have been on the pill since I was 19. I’m getting married in a year, but we want to wait at least a year after that before we have kids. Now that I’ve heard your story, I’m going to talk to my doctor soon about what the future holds for me. I’m also very excited to read about your pregnancy as a fit runner and vegetarian. I see a lot of generic pregnancy info, but I feel like I’ll be able to better relate to yours.

Congratulations!! I’m sure you and Casey will be great parents I’m excited to read your story. Thanks so much for sharing it!!

Danielle     at 10:26 pm

I’m loving all these posts and I’m so excited for both of you! Since grapes are one of the only foods you can stomach right now try freezing them for something different (if you want something cold). Can’t wait for all the follow-up posts and see how everything changes.

Ashley     at 10:27 pm

LOVE this!! 1 – You are adorable 2 – These posts are going to be excellent! You will love them later in life and so will the little grape! 3 – What about oats??? Any interest in them in the AM? Hmm, I’m thinking mixing cream cheese + oats could be delicious, or possibly terrible. 4 – You are adorable! Said that already but had to say it again! Yay boobs!

RhodeyGirl     at 10:27 pm

So weird.. I’m into lemonade too. It tastes SOOO good and sort of settles my stomach, although when not pregnant sometimes it would bother mine. So bizarre!!

Kristen     at 10:27 pm

Isn’t it funny that even the thought of things you love makes you want to gag?! And going up a cup size or 2 is always a great thing! ;o)

Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique     at 10:28 pm

Looking forward to more of these posts!

Sara @ Baking and Wine     at 10:29 pm

I’ve been doing posts using the food that my baby is as big as! Haha. It’s pretty fun!! I just made a baked “blooming” onion last night.

You’re looking great!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 10:30 pm

This is definitely the fun stuff! I love progress stuff like this. I think the development of the baby is so interesting! I couldn’t do coffee at all with either of my pregnancies. Saltines were a life savers with my second. Hopefully your appetite and energy will be back soon. The little grape needs all of your good stuff for now!

steph     at 10:30 pm

you’re going to be such a cute mommy! cant wait to see all the pregnancy posts.

Stephanie @ LiveCookLove     at 10:31 pm

I can’t wait to hear “real life” pregnancy stories! Grow, grape, grow!!

Cindy     at 10:34 pm

This is too cute :)

Pure2raw twins     at 10:35 pm

We look forward in reading more about your motherhood journey!! So excited for you!!

Tina     at 10:37 pm

It’s so exciting to read your journey, even in the earlier stages.

Also, I love your shirt! I’m assuming it’s a AA Deep V, but what color is that? I love the color (and those are my favorite shirts)!

Shari     at 10:37 pm

New commenter – just wanted to add in my congratulations! I’m looking forward to hearing about this wonderful journey you’ve embarked on :)

Brooke @ Bittersweetb     at 10:43 pm

Congrats! You are glowing already even if you don’t feel like it. I can’t wait to read this weekly updates! Maybe next week it will be a kumquat! haha

Cheryl     at 10:47 pm

I love your idea of a weekly journal and can’t wait to read more :) I’m interested in how you are making sure you get enough nutrients with your limited food tolerances. At times I find it hard to get enough vitamins and protein especially when I get stressed with work so I’d love to get your ideas. I feel like its really important to create healthy food and exercise habits before pregnancy so they are such a habit that little thinking is necessary. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa     at 10:52 pm

As far as showing, I started wearing pregnancy pants around week 13 and I think that’s fairly common, but I’m sure everyone is a little bit different.
So funny you mention bagels – I had a 10am bagel EVERY morning for…well, I think most, if not all my pregnancy! I’ve always liked bagels but nothing like that!

Lisa     at 10:55 pm

I’m 26 weeks. In my first trimester and actually till about 16 or 17 weeks I ONLY ate:
Baked potatoes
Fries
Fried rice
Rice noodles
Plain pasta
Cheese
Cheese on bread
Lemons
And apples!
I couldnt even look at a vegetable! It gets better…. I promise:)

Lisa     at 10:56 pm

Oh and I’m 26 weeks and still wearing regular clothes and just starting to show…. You will…. Soon enough:)

Michelle {the lively kitchen}     at 11:00 pm

For both of my pregnancies I was repulsed by raw and cooked veggies until about week 15. I ate massive amounts of pasta and mashed potatoes for the first trimester. And pancakes. Lots of white, starchy foods. It shall pass.

ps – if you think your boobs are growing now, wait until after the delivery and your milk comes in….

Michelle     at 11:00 pm

I don’t know how to write this without sounding horrible…but it really is a beautiful memory. My father passed away from a terminal illness at a young age when I was pregnant with my first child. My last conversation with him was me telling him his future grandchild was the size of a grape. As we got off the phone, he said, “That’s grape news!” I am sobbing as I type this but smiling just the same. I wish you and your grape nothing but the best….

missy Reply:

Michelle, thanks for sharing your special memory. Sorry for your loss.

Seglare Reply:

Michelle,

Thank you for sharing such a personal story. It is heart-breaking, yet such a beautiful and special memory. I’m really sorry for your loss, too.

erica     at 11:02 pm

this is so exciting!!! i think you are due around the same time as my friend!

i’m loving all the pregnancy posts :)

Jayna @ Healthy Living Bites     at 11:02 pm

As far as showing, every woman and body is different (and pregnancy too). You could be 20+ weeks before you show or start noticing a baby bump tomorrow! With my first I never showed. . . a lot of that is because of my big size to begin with. However with my second I was struggling to hide my bump at 10 weeks when my sister in law got married (I was even bigger, and we were waiting until AFTER her wedding to announce it- didn’t want to steal her thunder).

Eating- don’t worry, baby will take what he/she needs, especially if you can stomach your prenatals. It doesn’t mean don’t eat, it just means that you will suffer more then you’re little grape will! Eat what sounds good. . . chances are those are the nutrients baby needs most anyways.

Ha ha, boobs hurting was my first pregnancy sign with number two. . . miserable isn’t it! Whoever coined the term the “joys of pregnancy” was obviously a man!

Stacy @ Stacy Eats     at 11:05 pm

Love this weekly update idea! Hey to baby grape!

Monica     at 11:08 pm

So cool! I love these posts. It gives me an idea of what lies ahead. I received an email yesterday that my baby is currently the size of a lentil – love it! :)

Good luck getting through the nausea! It hasn’t hit me, but the extreme fatigue and body aches have been nonstop.

Beth     at 11:09 pm

What a great idea! Excited to hear all about your journey and how you are feeling!

Sarah @ The Pajama Chef     at 11:15 pm

aww emily, i love this posts & your idea to document this. it’ll be great memories for you guys in the future & a great resource for others!

Rachelle     at 11:18 pm

Ah, I am so excited for you!!!
Yup, you will love all those foods again. Give it ~6 more weeks. I was one of those exhausted ones early on…. then ok till the 3rd trimester. If your MS is really bad (sounds like it) talk to the doc about a unisom /B6 mixture. I have the opinion (with few actual references) that if you have bad MS it is b/c you are carrying a girl (b/c there is more estrogen around… but that assumption is silly b/c the babes don’t express hormones till like week 12 or something).
I ramble…. SO.Excited.For.You!

leatitia Reply:

Hi Rachelle :)

I have a lot of MS from week 7 until recently (week 22-23) and I’m carrying a boy! So I guess it can be different for everyone! xx

Seglare Reply:

This is very interesting, because I have a sister (no brothers) and my mom says she never experienced any morning sickness whatsoever. Then again, my sister has two little sons, and didn’t suffer from much ms, either. I’m just wondering if – and to what extent – it runs in the family? I certainly hope that when I’m pregnant myself, I don’t need to suffer too much. ;)

I hope you (and others going through the same at the moment) feel better very soon, and can fully enjoy your pregnancy! :)

leatitia Reply:

Hi Seglare! That’s actually a very good point. My mother got sick with my brother but not with any of her 3 girls. I’m sick and I’m expecting a boy. It makes sense!

I’m feeling awesome now thank you. Being pregnant right now is the best thing in the world. I might change my mind in a month or two (I’ll be 6 month pregnant this Saturday). ;-)

Sammi     at 11:21 pm

All my Mom craved while pregnant with me was bagels and cream cheese! It seems a lot of the blog world is pregnant lately! Congratulations and I look forward to hearing more about your experiences.

Kiran     at 11:22 pm

Baby bumps makes me emotional all the time, in a good way of course :)

La.     at 11:30 pm

Awe, saweet! I’ve been on vacation for weeks and I’m just getting back to reading blogs now! So congrats! You look fabulous and baby grape is growing healthy!

sarah (sarah learns)     at 11:35 pm

yay! i’m so excited that you’ll be sharing about your pregnancy with us!!!! :)

Amelia     at 11:54 pm

So exciting! Thanks for sharing the pregnancy posts. I definitely enjoy them and like you said, it will be nice to look back at them in the future. :)

Lauren     at 11:56 pm

This is awesome! I really look forward to reading about your pregnancy journey!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)     at 12:18 am

I remember the blueberry, grapes, etc analogies!

When my daughter was the size of a strawberry, that’s what we called her…til we named her at about 25 weeks or so. She was just Strawberry.

And seriously understood why Gwyneth P used the name Apple :) It makes more sense after carrying one.

I lost tons of weight due to extreme nausea that last pretty much the whole preg. I did end up gaining weight overall, but not til, like after 25 weeks or so.

You’re doing great. Grape is growing just fine :)

I love these posts!

oh and my diet consisted of pretzles and white carbs. And that is sooo NOT me, but it was then :)

Alaina     at 12:29 am

That is so weird about the food cravings (and lack thereof). Hopefully it won’t last long and once the baby really starts to develop it’ll beg you for the good food. :-)

My friend did the same fruit pictures when she was pregnant.

Susie     at 1:49 am

I know I don’t comment often, but I do read your blog daily, and although I’m still far off from children myself (I’m only 19!), I’m excited to hear about your pregnancy journey. Best wishes to you and Casey!

Elisabeth     at 3:39 am

Oh no! No peanut butter? Sad. Hope you will be enjoying all of your favorite foods again soon!

It’s going to be so much fun to read your journal every week :)

laura (starloz)     at 4:57 am

i’m excited to be following your pregnancy. sooo exciting.

Gabi     at 5:39 am

Yes, give us regular pregnancy updates! Love hearing about how you’re going!

Meghan     at 6:28 am

I am very excited to hear more updates. Thanks for sharing!

Lauren     at 7:02 am

You look amazing!!! These are great updates too and you’ll be so happy to have this later on in life. Thanks for sharing this experience Emily.

Cara Craves...     at 7:02 am

A grape size is so small and precious!

Sara     at 7:02 am

I am 17 weeks and my boobs have finally stopped hurting…but have gone from a B to a D in the process…I actually think they might even be a DD at this point. It is insane, I feel like I am in someone else’s body. And I had the same thing with veggies! Couldn’t touch them for weeks and then one day, my tastes returned to normal. :)

Erica     at 7:07 am

I really appreciate that you are sharing this journey with us! I am currently TTC and literally have no idea what pregnancy will be like, and it’s great to get perspective from someone other than “What to Expect when you’re Expecting.” Thank you so much for these honest posts!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 7:32 am

Love this! I definitely can’t wait to see the progression each week. Congrats on your little grape! :)

Anne     at 7:37 am

Love your pregnancy posts !

leatitia     at 7:48 am

I wish I did what you’re doing for my pregnancy. I’m in my 24th week now and I’m slowly forgetting what it was like to be in my 8th, 9th, 10th week…

It was so hard, I was sleeping all the time and nauseous. All I wanted to eat was anything with BREAD and CHEEZE like pizza, hamburger, grilled cheeze.

But by week 16th, it all magically disappeared and I felt like myself again. Energic, healthy, could eat like my old self, etc.

My baby is the size of a …papaya now! :)

I can’t wait to read this serie, love it!

Sarah     at 7:51 am

I love that your planning on posting a lot on the pregnancy! Its something thats always fascinated me!

Stefanie     at 7:56 am

I absolutely loooooooove this! I am so excited that you will be posting about each week. I have never commented before but this is just too cute! Best of luck to you and the grape!

Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East     at 7:59 am

Im so glad that you are doing these posts about your weekly pregnancy updates! You will be so happy later that you documented everything!

Amy     at 8:08 am

I LOVE your take on the weekly update– very Emily-style & honest :) You look beautiful, and I hope you get to feeling better (fatigue and nausea-wise) very quickly!

Whitney     at 8:15 am

LOVE the updates on the preganancy… please continue them! I am getting married in June and I know that babies aren’t too far off so I’m enjoying learning through you! Hope the nausea gets better for you :)

Rachelle     at 8:25 am

Congrats!!
I have two things…
First. Try preggo pops. they are suckers that have ginger in them and they are wrapped individually so if you have to stuff a few in your pocket you can. You can pick them up at Motherhood (the maternity clothes store). I know they had them in VA when i lived there in 02.
Also, a cooking question I had was that I had heard that you can cook with spoiled mild, and have even witnessed it ( though i didnt eat any) I made a whole bowl of crepe batter yesterday with week old milk, then dumped it. Have you heard this? ( I just hate to be wasteful)

Melissa @ HerGreenLife Reply:

On your question — we recently made yogurt and homemade ice cream with some milk that was a bit on the old side. It didn’t taste good as yogurt or ice cream, but I also hated to waste it (especially since it was $10/gallon milk from local, pasture-fed cows).

Anyhow, I ended up thawing the ice cream, and using that and the yogurt in pancakes and for baking. They tasted fine (and I feel fine after eating them), but my nose could still detect something slightly off in the finished product.

In general, if you have milk that is maybe just a couple of days too old, I would add white vinegar or lemon juice (1 T. per cup of milk) to make “buttermilk” and then use it for baking.

Jen Reply:

I worked at wild oats market and can tell you dairy is good 10 days past the sell by date, but if it smells I toss it. alot of people think the sell by date is the bad date but its the date the store has to sell it by in order for it to still be good for a week or so.

Tina     at 8:38 am

Just a suggestion, don’t consider taking a nap as being wimpy or giving in. Your body is making another whole body. Give it the rest it needs. Take a nap every day if you feel like it. This is truly a time to really listen to your body!!!! Napping is GOOD!

Jennifer     at 8:43 am

Congratulations on the grape. :) I wonder if you could make a lemon-ginger tea? I drink it first thing in the morning and while I am not nauseous really, my stomach is often “upset” because I feel beyond starving and I always feel immediately better after drinking the tea. Also, I highly recommend Adagio Tea’s peppermint. I like to drink it after lunch to help prevent indigestion. It seemed weird at first to drink it because even though it is hot, it feels cold going down your throat. :) Also, the progress report is really interesting to me, even though I am not pregnant. As always, great information!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine     at 9:02 am

Woooo congrats on the progress of the little grape!! I love those analogies too- so cute. Hopefully the nausea passes soon enough, because I can’t imagine a life without PB or hummus!!

Carly (Swim, Run, Om)     at 9:07 am

I hardly ever comment, but just wanted to say that I love this blog, and I love following you along on your pregnancy journey! You don’t sound too concerned, but I thought I would share my mom’s experience. She ended up losing weight throughout her pregnancy with me, and no one could tell she was pregnant until the end of the seventh month. I ended up being born right on my due date with the healthy weight of 7 lb., 9 oz.! So please don’t be too concerned with the weight loss. You don’t seem to be, but I think weight loss is common especially in the first trimester of pregnancy, and it seems that many people don’t think that or expect that would be the case. :-)

Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan)     at 9:11 am

I love that you are sharing this with us! Thank you :)

When my friend was pregnant, she would get the size-comparable e-mails and we’d read them together and then do a big “Awwwwwww!!!!!” :)
It sucks that you are feeling so sick and can’t eat a lot of yummy foods. I hope it gets better as time progresses!
And yay for big boobs! Haha :D

Kelly     at 9:16 am

Emily! Mazel tov on your pregnancy. I love your updates on how you’re progressing.

When you mentioned peanut butter on the list of foods you are unable to eat right now, I breathed a little sigh of relief. I read an article (linked to Kourtney Kardashian’s baby so look for it) about how eating PB while pregnant might influence the baby’s tolerance of peanut butter or create an allergy. Not sure if there is solid research to back it up, but one PB addict to another I thought you might be interested to hear.

Best of luck to you and Casey! I’m watching in awe :)

Jen     at 9:20 am

I’m so glad that you are going to post these updates. I can’t wait to hear how you’re feeling and what’s changing every week! You look great!

Nicole @ Vegan in the House     at 9:24 am

You are too cute! I highly recommend “The Girlfriend’s Guide to Pregnancy.” It’s a books that tells you things that most people won’t about pregnancy, in a fun way.

Brit     at 9:26 am

What an awesome post! I look forward to reading about your journey.

Katy @ MonsterProof     at 9:27 am

Sounds like everything’s going great. And if you really want to rejoice, I’m already up THREE cup sizes at 30 weeks, so you could really go crazy. (I started big, so not so thrilled ;)

katherine     at 9:34 am

i’m in my 21st week of pregnancy and I was a lot like you in my first trimester. preggo pops and candied ginger really helped me. AND i was a bagel and cream cheese nut. i really feel like a turned a huge corner on week 12, so know that it get’s so much better!!!!

Angela     at 9:54 am

Congratulations again! I’m about a week and a half behind you and am soooo looking forward to reading all of your future pregnancy posts.

Jen     at 9:56 am

im very excited to follow along with your pregnancy posts!keep it up, it’s so interesting to read. you should do side photos every month in the same outfit and background to show progression. someone i know did that and it was pretty cool. might have to be stretch pants though! hope the nausea clears up soon!

Kelly     at 9:57 am

Bagels and cream cheese are the only thing I want to eat too (i’m 7 weeks)! I try to throw some greens in between them to get in some extra nutrition. What I can’t eat? Cheese (besides cream cheese for some reason?). Ugh the thought of orange cheese at all makes me gag. *gag* So much fun, isn’t it? :)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 10:29 am

I’m going to love reading these posts because its going to feel like looking back for me as well. I can relate SO well! And I remember how nice it was to finally crave a green veggie again. It will come. LOL

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine     at 11:03 am

So Exciting Emily! I look forward to your pregnancy updates each month! Can’t wait to see that healthy baby grow!
Crossing my fingers that your appetite comes back!

Amber K     at 11:04 am

Awww congratulations on your little grape. These posts are a little sad for me to read, but one day it will be my turn and I get so excited to see the life growing around me :)

Kimberly @ Healthy Strides     at 11:05 am

Isn’t it amazing that they go from a grape to a banana and then to a papaya and so on?! Of course, it always gave me an aversion to those foods when I read he was the size of an avocado or banana.

I struggle too with veggies so I’m glad I’m not the only one! I drink low-sodium V8 to help me feel healthier. Maybe one day I’ll be able to eat broccoli again …

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 11:30 am

SO funny how similar our eating habits are/were… I wrote about my 1st trimester foods today, and bagels and cream cheese were my LOVE! Also, my usualy love for hummus disappeared – YUCK.

Hope you start feeling better soon- I’m 15 weeks and feeling like my old self again!

Namaste Gurl     at 11:42 am

Good to hear the update! And no peanut butter or hummus? Oh girl, I feel for you. Your former cravings will come back, though. Guess this is the sacrifice you have to make for the babe!

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker     at 11:50 am

I love this post, Emily. Esp your list of OK foods versus bad foods. :) Can’t wait to read more.

Molly     at 11:57 am

You are too cute. Your cravings sound identical to mine with all of the carbs and citrus and randomly, tomato soup! I also figured out how to make a homemade squash soup that was delicious and seemed a little healthier. At 20 weeks I’m now back into veggies and salads and haven’t puked in 7 days, woohoo! Oh, I was able to stomach bagels with veggie cream cheese and/or tomato on top, so maybe that would work for you to get a few veggies in? Can’t wait to keep following your journey!

Vicky     at 11:58 am

Congratulations!! I am so happy that you are sharing your journey with us! You really are creating something invaluable here. I am sure the little grape will love to look back on this too someday. Tip: one of my friends swore by homemade ginger granitas when she was in her first trimester. Congrats again!

Sarah     at 12:02 pm

Enjoy your blog. So excited that you are expecting a little one. Actually I just found out that I am too and sounds like we my be having them around the same time. This is number four for me, hee hee, but any way i will be looking forward to reading your post because a lot of th blogs I read are women my age who don’t have kids yet so it will be fun to have something more in common with you. I love how my kids have changed my world, it is so worth it and so wonderul you will be experiencing that too. God bless

Emily     at 12:36 pm

When my daughter Olivia was born I was convinced she was made from BurgerKing Cheeseburges and strawberry lemonade alone! That is all that I could eat! The most important thing is that you get calories… even if the come from pepermint pattys alone. (A GREAT nausea buster by the way)
Congratulations to you and your hubby and I look forward to reading about your journey!

Sheri     at 12:41 pm

I am currently 7 weeks pregnant and I feel the same as you. Raw veggies and hummus NO THANKS! I have been able to get down green smoothies to make up for the lack a veggies in my life at the moment. Glad to see that you are doing well! :)

Clare @ Fitting It All In     at 12:55 pm

Even though I dont plan on a pregnancy for at least a few years, this information is so interesting! It’s so nice to be prepared and know what to expect, even from just one person’s perspective.
So excited to follow the journey!

Shayla     at 1:04 pm

Omg I love that you’ll be doing these posts and having pregnancy topics! I love following you through your journey and seeing how everything (belly, cravings, moods, etc.) progresses. I loved your blog before but I have to say I love it even more now and you’ll probably see me commenting more now ;) Thank you so much for sharing your experience to us readers…my hubby and I want to start trying soon so I really appreciate having your blog to follow and I can’t wait to see your belly grow! :)

Alexa @ Simple Eats     at 1:16 pm

I love that your sharing and tracking your progress, it’s so sweet. I hope you get to eat more of your usual foods soon!

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 1:31 pm

I hope I have the boob-growing to look forward to! I’m an A, too. Glad I’m not the only one who will admit that. There’s nothing wrong with it, either. =)

Jenny     at 1:41 pm

I love this! I’m so excited to stay up to date with your journey!

Jo @ Jo In the Kitchen     at 1:46 pm

Well done, little grape! Before you know it, you’ll be a grapefruit :)

Sarah     at 1:54 pm

A belated congratulations on your pregnancy!! I love hearing all the little tidbits! My friend is pregnant and started a blog to keep her friends and family updated and I thought maybe you’d like the format http://littlehome-biglove.blogspot.com/2011/03/15-weeks.html

Take care!

Rachel     at 2:08 pm

Thanks so much for your updates and talking about your pregnancy! I’m so happy for both of you.

Jen     at 2:46 pm

I havent met mr right so no babies yet, but I do suffer from crohn’s and nausea are BFF’s. I hear those preggo pops are good. I love ginger ale and candied ginger too. Also putting some fresh ginger in lemon-aid is good they had frozen ginger lemon-aid at wild oats was good add the ginger to your taste. mints in the purse is a must. get a fresh mint plant they are sold at most food stores and just eat the leafs or add to lemon-aid or a virgin mojo.

Judy     at 2:52 pm

I was completely obsessed with oranges and lemonade at the beginning of my pregnancy. I feel your pain about the veggies – it took me until about week 18 to want to even look at them! I couldn’t even read food blogs…You look great!

ARPL     at 2:58 pm

I’m so thrilled for you and am just a few weeks behind you so I’m following your progress with much interest.

I found I had to give up running about 3/4 of the way through my first pregnancy just cause it felt weird. Your body will tell you if and when to take a break.

Runeatrepeat     at 3:01 pm

I’m super excited about all the pregnancy updates!
Hope the nausea goes away soon!

Kelli H     at 3:36 pm

Can’t wait to continue reading more updates. So exciting!

Katie     at 3:59 pm

I am in my 8th week of pregnancy and I am glad to know I am not alone on the carb front. All I want to eat is basically brown — a lot of cereal, bread, crackers, and macaroni and cheese…I will be happy when this subsides! Good luck to the both of us :)

Kimberly     at 5:28 pm

Congrats Emily!!! I am so happy for you! Although my two girls are 12 and 14 now. I remember all too well three of the things you are going through: Veggies that I once loved smelled horrible and made me want to gag! I went from a size A to a C and I remember it hurt SOOOOOO bad! The nausea during the first trimester lasted the whole trimester but magically ended as soon as I graduated to the second. Like you, I had crackers or nuts by my side at all times. Luckily, I never threw up and the trick was to never let my tummy get completely empty. Hang in there girl!

Molly     at 8:49 pm

Hi Emily,

First off – I opened my new runners world and saw your comment about the Biggest Loser in the magazine! So cool (I always wonder what the odds are they’d actually select a letter to publish).

Secondly, I was wondering during your pregnancy if you think you would “give in” to any cravings? I actually am curious because I remember my cousin who had been vegetarian for years suddenly was craving a hamburger. She said she tried to ignore it for a few days but it kept coming back and she eventually gave in (and since has resumed her normal lifestyle). She never was very preachy about her choices so I don’t know if that’s why she gave in more quickly or if she just decided to go with it. I realize this is probably not normal for most vegetarians, but if you had an extreme craving, do you plan to maintain your healthy/ethical choices?

Tracy     at 4:46 am

Yeah I had that breast pain too but mine were a D to start off with– wound up a G!! PHEW! Now I am a DDD but shrinking now that I am down 101 pounds from my high weight.

Debbie B.     at 8:55 am

My sister was the same way with veggies!! Couldn’t stand the sight of them or of tofu!!

Ang     at 2:50 pm

I feel for you on the misnamed morning sickness. I was so sick when I was pregnant. I lost 14 lbs. and had to go to the hospital for fluids at one point. I lived on Phenergan! No worries though, I had a perfectly healthy 8 lb. 6 oz. baby!

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 4:03 pm

These posts are going to be so fun! I too love the food comparisons, and I’ve never been (nor plan to be for a VERY long time) pregnant! :D

Week 11: My Pregnancy Journey. | Daily Garnish     at 4:08 pm

[...] Week 9: My Pregnancy Journey [...]

Week 14: My Pregnancy Journey. | Daily Garnish     at 2:53 pm

[...] Week 9: My Pregnancy Journey (grape) [...]

Week 15: My Pregnancy Journey. | Daily Garnish     at 11:37 am

[...] Week 9: My Pregnancy Journey (grape) [...]

kelly     at 7:38 pm

My sister just sent me your blog, as i’m newly (8 wks) pregnant myself, and I can’t believe how much I can relate to your food adversions right now. I could live on cheese sandwiches, and maybe spaghetti too, and veggies make me gag! I’m usually a HUGE veggie eater, and hardly ever eat carbs like pasta and breads, but that’s what my body is wanting right now, so that’s what it’s getting! I look forward to reading your weekly blogs on pregnancy as i go through the same weeks :)

Sounds about right! :) Congrats on your pregnancy – how exciting!

Week 35: My Pregnancy Journey. | Daily Garnish     at 6:03 pm

[...] week, what used to be just a wee little grape is now as heavy as this giant bag of [...]

amy     at 2:43 pm

i love that you did this! i just found out we’re expecting and am almost 6 weeks…i love seeing the progress and am looking forward to so much!!

CONGRATS to you!!

Devorah     at 8:39 am

Hi Emily,
I am 9 weeks pregnant and have been looking for cute and informative weekly update emails.
Which website did you get yours from?
Thanks.