For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Chocolate Chip Banana Brownies.

I bet you weren’t expecting a recipe out of me today!  As much fun as I have talking about babies all day long, I do assure you that I plan to start posting recipes more regularly again now that I’m feeling better and back in the kitchen.  Perhaps it will be fun to see how my recipes evolve as my pregnancy continues!

This latest recipe was inspired by the last two blackened bananas hanging out in our fruit bowl.  I wasn’t sure what to expect, but the result was exactly what I was hoping for!

Chocolate Chip Banana Brownies

(Print this recipe!)

Ingredients:

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 cup organic cane sugar
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1.5 cups soy milk (or other milk)
  • 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Instructions:  The thing I love about baking is that the instructions are almost always as simple as – mix dry, mix wet, add wet to dry, and bake.  This recipe is no exception, but I will go through the steps with you anyways just for fun!

Casey had a conference call this afternoon, so I was baking with both dogs locked in the kitchen with me.  They were highly intrigued by what I was doing…

Start by combining both flours, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and sea salt in a large mixing bowl.

In a second (smaller) bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a fork…

And then add the soy milk and vanilla.  I have started using soy milk recently instead of almond milk, because being pregnant I am trying to sneak in as much extra protein as I can.  I really like this organic unsweetened soy milk from Silk!

Combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients…

And NEVER turn your back on your mixing bowl.

Once all of the dry ingredients are incorporated, fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips.  I used traditional Nestle for mine, but by using vegan chocolate chips this recipe will be entirely vegan!

Did I tell you to preheat the oven to 350 degrees yet?  Whoops – do that now.  Grease a 9×13 baking dish, and spread the brownie batter evenly into the bottom of the pan.

Make sure you use the 9×13 long dish, or else you will need to adjust your cooking time for anything smaller (since brownies will be thicker!).

Bake in the oven for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

Wait 10 minutes and allow brownies to cool before slicing.

Slice into 16 rectangles – each will be around 17o calories of dense chocolatey goodness, with only 3 grams of fat!

Serve with a cool glass of milk, and a friend to enjoy it with.

I wasn’t sure how these would turn out since I’ve never made vegan brownies before.  I was worried that they would be too cakey, which was NOT what I wanted.  If I wanted cakey – I would have made cake!  I was thrilled to discover that these were moist, dense, and exactly what I was hoping for…

The chocolate chips and hunks of banana took it to the next level.

Who says vegan baking has to by dry and crumbly?

Only one thing left to do… DUNK!

IMG_8952 (410x640)  IMG_8953 (407x640)  IMG_8955 (397x640)

Perfection.

Enjoy!

Brownies should be dense and moist, I definitely agree. If I had wanted cake, I’d have made cake! My problem is I have been trying to make gluten-free brownies, but they keep turning out gummy. I want dense and moist, not gummy!

Michelle @ The Cooking Life     at 12:38 pm

I have GOT to try this! Thanks for sharing :)

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 2:21 pm

My pre-period uterus approves of this recipe! ;)

HILARIOUS.

amy     at 9:12 pm

Hi Emily,

Just tried the recipe out tonight and they are Soooo Good! Good Good. This was my first vegan baking venture. Thank You!

So glad you liked it! :)

Angela     at 10:19 am

Thanks for this recipe. It’s so good.

I had all the ingredients in my cupboards already so made some this morning and they are really yummy. I may or may not have eaten 2 of them already!

My last banana has gone into the freezer so I can have banana soft serve on a warm brownie for dessert tonight!

Renie     at 5:56 pm

Hi Emily, just came upon your blog and see they you and I have the same taste. Your food looks divine.I see you like Silk too. I love the coconut milk. I look forward to making these brownies for my family.

Gina     at 7:06 pm

I made these last night with no modifications and they were so ooey-gooey delicious! We had them with a scoop of So Delicious Vanila Bean and a drizzle of chocolate sauce. I have a feeling they will slowly/quickly disappear before the weekend ends!!! LOVE this recipe!

Anne Marie     at 9:01 pm

I literally was just wondering what I should make with the two way-too-ripe bananas sitting on m countertop! Done and done. Thanks :) Also, we live in Old Town too and have always wanted to try Trattoria de Franco but somehow never end up there. Now we are for sure going, ASAP! Good luck with the move to Seattle…my brother lives there and absolutely LOVES it. When I went to visit we went to Pike’s Place every day…trust me, you won’t be missing the Old Town market for too long! Oh, and good luck with the baby! So exciting!

What’s better than brownies? More brownies. « Stylish, Stealthy & Healthy.     at 11:41 am

[…] Chocolate Chip Banana Brownies (Adapted from Daily Garnish) You’ll Need: 1 cup whole wheat flour 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour 1 cup organic cane sugar […]

Dee     at 10:39 am

This looks yummy! Especially the dunking in the milk part! ;)

Elisabeth C     at 11:20 am

I made these last night, using regular flour and granulated sugar, and omitting the chocolate chips – they were still AWESOME! I’m so happy to have a brownie recipe that tastes like a brownie, but is still (marginally) better for you than a traditional brownie. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Julie S.     at 11:31 am

Hi Emily,

I’m anxious to try these brownies, but don’t have any ripe bananas. Would applesauce work? If so, how much? (I use applesauce as a substitute for oil in cake recipes all the time.) Thx!

Allison     at 9:30 pm

Just tried these brownies and they were sooo good!! Dense and delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

Yum – I am so glad you liked them!

Sarah     at 8:40 pm

Just made these with regular whole wheat flour instead of pasty flour and they are awesome! I also had extra choc. chips; you can’t go wrong with more chocolate!

Susan T-V     at 5:56 pm

I just made this recipe and it turned out soooooo good. I love brownies and these were so rich and delicious. Great job Emily!!! I’ll be praying for you and your move coming up – so glad you are feeling better.

Dani     at 10:47 pm

I just made these! I used 1 cup almond milk and 1/2 cup coffee left in the pot from this morning. They turned out really good, and definitely hit the spot with my chocolate craving!

Lainey     at 3:07 pm

Just made these and LOVED them! Didn’t have any chocolate chips and they were still amazing. I am storing them in the fridge and snacking on them throughout the week. Will definitely make again!

Banana Brownies | Peachy Palate     at 12:17 am

[…] did a little recipe digging and stumbled upon Emily’s Banana Brownies which sounded incredible! They were also packed with a healthy balance of ingredients to […]

Ashley     at 10:18 am

Emily, these are amazing!!! I am not vegan, but they looked so good. I loooove anything with banana! And an extra bonus for me is that I can lick the batter off the spoon – being pregnant and not being allowed to have raw eggs it is torture every time I make muffins! ; )

Thanks so ,uh for posting this recipe. I will be making these again for sure!

-Ashley

Ashley     at 10:18 am

Thanks so much for posting this recipe. I will be making these again for sure!

-Ashley

Alyssa     at 12:51 pm

Love your blog, you have so many amazing recipes! I made these last night using all whole wheat flour, and subbed 1 tbsp of coconut oil for one of the bananas. I also added a bit more milk. They were really good!

Jen     at 2:49 pm

I have made these a handful of times now for family get togethers and cookouts and they are always a hit!! I use vanilla almond milk and add a few extra chocolate chips and they are delicious! They are my new favorite sweet treat and I love sharing them knowing how relatively healthy they are. Thank you so much for the great recipe!!

Banana Chocolate Chip Brownie Recipe -spatialdrift | spatialdrift     at 7:46 pm

[…] from Daily Garnish. Yields one 9×13 pan of […]