For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

From Dusk ‘Til Dawn.

We looked at houses yesterday from 9:30am to 7pm, with almost no stopping in between!  We looked on both sides of the water – Seattle itself, as well as the Eastside, in order to keep all our options open.

Check out this weird water phenomenon I’ve noticed here every time we go over the bridge to the Eastside – do you see how the one side is rough and choppy, and the other is totally calm and peaceful?  It is so strange!

We saw two houses in the morning – one that was a piece of crap, and another that we absolutely LOVED.  Sounds like there might be a lot of competition and other applicants for that one though, so I’m trying not to get overly hopeful.  After the morning hunt, we were both starving, and we ended up going to Portage Bay Café again since we were right in the area.

Casey got an egg and veggie hash type of meal…

I wanted some protein, so I got a scrambled egg on the side…

But I was really there for the breakfast breads.  Three giant slices of challah French toast!

I am sure the French toast would have been great on its own, but I was really there for the amazing TOPPINGS bar I had heard so much about!

There are huuuuge bowls of every fruit imaginable, as well as nuts, raisins, honey butter, and whipped cream.  You are allowed to take as much as you want, as long as you eat it all in the restaurant!

I thought that my plate was out of control, but when I saw others heading up to the toppings and piling their plates sky high, I didn’t feel so bad.  :)  I opted for fresh blueberries, strawberries, and pears…

And a giant dollop of whipped cream.  Sooooo good!

Domination followed, although Casey did help me with the French toast toward the end.

With our stomachs full, we headed back out to explore more neighborhoods and see more houses.  I really love the Greenlake area – there is a huuuuuge lake in the middle with a fabulous walking/running trail around the outside!  Even if we don’t find a place nearby, I guarantee I’ll be heading over here to run from time to time.

I am finding Seattle houses and architecture to be so beautiful and interesting.  I seriously can’t WAIT until we can buy a place and renovate it to be exactly what I want.

It is frustrating that people don’t seem to always take very good care of rental properties, and we’d really like avoid spending a whole year in something we don’t like.  But we did see one or two places today that we think will work for us, and we’re waiting until we see the rest of the houses today to make a final decision.

IMG_8748 (150x100)IMG_8752 (150x100)IMG_8753 (150x100)IMG_8754 (150x100)IMG_8759 (150x100)IMG_8755 (150x100)IMG_8760 (150x100)IMG_8764 (150x100)IMG_8763 (150x100)IMG_8765 (150x100)IMG_8768 (150x100)IMG_8766 (150x100)

House hunting is SO exhausting!  Towards the end of our hunt, the sun even peeked out to say hello from behind the clouds, and there was a beautiful RAINBOW in the sky!!

Our final stop of the night – Flying Squirrel PizzaKatie sent me an email recommending it, and since pizza is sounding very stomach-friendly these days, we decided to give it a try.

Do you see what I see?  SAUSAGE!  Don’t freak out friends – this is none other than amazing vegetarian Field Roast sausage – one of my absolute favorites!  I have never seen it available on a pizza before, and I was so excited I could barely wait to get it back to our hotel.

Veggie “sausage” pizza – the perfect way to end a VERY long day of house hunting!

Hopefully my next post will be me telling you guys that we found the perfect place to live!  One more day…

Trying to find a decent house in our price range has been much harder for my husband and I than we previously thought! We have been looking for quite awhile and it definitely seems to go the same way. There will be junk places, or actual decent places with a ton of competition.

Good luck to you!

Meagan     at 12:47 pm

Wow Emily! What a fun day. I can’t get over a real restaurant place does toppings like that. Oh, I want to eat some!! I like house hunting.

Lauren     at 1:00 pm

hi! i’m a first time reader and i live in seattle! my grandma has lived here forever, and she told me that when the water is choppy one one side of the bridge and smooth on the other side, that means bad weather is coming :) neat, huh!

ps if you get a chance, go check out the cherry trees at the university of washington! full bloom right now!!

bitt     at 3:21 pm

I’m not sure if you are reading comments or taking advice on Seattle, but I recommend NOT living on the Eastside. People who live over there like it, but they really don’t get in the city too often. Plus if your husband works downtown he’ll have to fight bridge traffic and a new toll. Greenlake is a much better option.

Sarah (Running To Slow Things Down)     at 3:58 pm

You *will* find that perfect house that screams home to you. It’s better to be patient and find the right one vs. settling for any old place. :D

Your breakfast looks fabulous! :D

Samantha     at 5:42 am

I’ve been reading for a while, but have never commented. This is actually unrelated to your latest post, however, you seem to be interested in the science behind things. Anyways, I saw this and thought you would find it interesting.

faith in food     at 9:39 am

I WANT TO MOVE BACK!! why did i ever leave!!! i grea up there and am homesick too!

have you guys looked at the greenwood area, its not far from greenlake, but has a very good price cut. there is also the “freelard” area (an odd intersection between fremont and ballard, an di gueds ballard has really become a fun place to be and fremont has a great market. i agree with the person to stay on i-95, those bridget get horrendous!you have small windows to get to and from the city without sitting in terrible traffic. if you want to live a “city life, dont go further north than northgate, wallingford has some great fixer uppers. also don’t forget abut the centennial trial, runs all the way from bothell down thorugh the city, it’s awasome and beutiful.
you have found vegan pizza
vegan thai (though not quite so easy on the tum) Araya’s in the u-dist, there is also this awsome vegan/ra food place on 50th Chaco Canyon Cafe.

faith in food     at 9:39 am

you have found vegan pizza

Meghan     at 12:15 pm

That sausage looks very real! I hope it was good!

Cassie @ Tofu Meets Her Match     at 2:00 pm

We’re visiting Seattle right now too and did 12 miles around Greenlake yesterday–best place ever to run! So different than running in NYC. So many cute dogs to distract me! I hope you guys find an awesome place, Seattle is so much fun.

Monica     at 2:44 pm

Good luck with the hunt!

I so feel you on the pizza. It shocks me that my stomach can’t handle most things these days, but pizza it totally does. Is all I wanted last night for dinner was pizza and caesar salad. Neither of which I ate before the preggo days!

Kat @ Big Apple Little Kitchen     at 4:46 pm

Yummy pizza! So jealous about all your delicious Portland food adventures!

Sheena     at 7:01 pm

That water behavior is so strange…nature is mysterious at times! Do you anticipate that this relocation will become a permanent place for you all in the long term?

Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan)     at 7:21 pm

Good luck! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you!
And that pizza looks awesome, especially the veggie sausage part,nomnomnom :)

I was just wondering: Is Casey a vegetarian like you? It must be nice to agree on places to eat!

That french toast bar sounds awesome, I wish we had stuff like that here! Looks like Seattle is living up to it’s ‘vegetarian-friendly’ name ;)

Ash Bear     at 9:33 pm

I just added that breakfast place to my Seattle list of places I want to go when I’m back this summer. Good luck with the hunt and I hope you all find the place of your dreams!:0

Kristen, Sweetly     at 10:11 pm

Seattle looks GORGEOUS! Color me jealous. I’m sending good house-finding vibes your way. :-)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 6:12 am

Oh. my goodness. Topping bar of the YEAR! I would killll to go to a restaurant and have my pick of breakfast toppins:)

Jen     at 7:09 am

Keeping my fingers crossed that you find a house quickly!!!
What a topping bar, that is awesome!!!!

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com     at 11:24 am

It’s so wonderful seeing all the places I know and love in these posts!

Glad you’re coming to Seattle and that you’ve found a place that suits you. You’ve got to go on a tour of Theo Chocolate Factory in Fremont. I organized the International Food Blogger Conference there last year and let’s just say…tasted all the chocolate in the world :)

Yum – count me in for next year’s conference! :)

Amy     at 11:41 am

I’m definitely a lurker more than a commenter, but I had to pop in and say you are absolutely glowing :) You look great…and I’m very late to this party, but congratulations!

running shoes