From Dusk ‘Til Dawn.

We looked at houses yesterday from 9:30am to 7pm, with almost no stopping in between!  We looked on both sides of the water – Seattle itself, as well as the Eastside, in order to keep all our options open.

Check out this weird water phenomenon I’ve noticed here every time we go over the bridge to the Eastside – do you see how the one side is rough and choppy, and the other is totally calm and peaceful?  It is so strange!

We saw two houses in the morning – one that was a piece of crap, and another that we absolutely LOVED.  Sounds like there might be a lot of competition and other applicants for that one though, so I’m trying not to get overly hopeful.  After the morning hunt, we were both starving, and we ended up going to Portage Bay Café again since we were right in the area.

Casey got an egg and veggie hash type of meal…

I wanted some protein, so I got a scrambled egg on the side…

But I was really there for the breakfast breads.  Three giant slices of challah French toast!

I am sure the French toast would have been great on its own, but I was really there for the amazing TOPPINGS bar I had heard so much about!

There are huuuuge bowls of every fruit imaginable, as well as nuts, raisins, honey butter, and whipped cream.  You are allowed to take as much as you want, as long as you eat it all in the restaurant!

I thought that my plate was out of control, but when I saw others heading up to the toppings and piling their plates sky high, I didn’t feel so bad.  :)  I opted for fresh blueberries, strawberries, and pears…

And a giant dollop of whipped cream.  Sooooo good!

Domination followed, although Casey did help me with the French toast toward the end.

With our stomachs full, we headed back out to explore more neighborhoods and see more houses.  I really love the Greenlake area – there is a huuuuuge lake in the middle with a fabulous walking/running trail around the outside!  Even if we don’t find a place nearby, I guarantee I’ll be heading over here to run from time to time.

I am finding Seattle houses and architecture to be so beautiful and interesting.  I seriously can’t WAIT until we can buy a place and renovate it to be exactly what I want.

It is frustrating that people don’t seem to always take very good care of rental properties, and we’d really like avoid spending a whole year in something we don’t like.  But we did see one or two places today that we think will work for us, and we’re waiting until we see the rest of the houses today to make a final decision.

IMG_8748 (150x100)IMG_8752 (150x100)IMG_8753 (150x100)IMG_8754 (150x100)IMG_8759 (150x100)IMG_8755 (150x100)IMG_8760 (150x100)IMG_8764 (150x100)IMG_8763 (150x100)IMG_8765 (150x100)IMG_8768 (150x100)IMG_8766 (150x100)

House hunting is SO exhausting!  Towards the end of our hunt, the sun even peeked out to say hello from behind the clouds, and there was a beautiful RAINBOW in the sky!!

Our final stop of the night – Flying Squirrel PizzaKatie sent me an email recommending it, and since pizza is sounding very stomach-friendly these days, we decided to give it a try.

Do you see what I see?  SAUSAGE!  Don’t freak out friends – this is none other than amazing vegetarian Field Roast sausage – one of my absolute favorites!  I have never seen it available on a pizza before, and I was so excited I could barely wait to get it back to our hotel.

Veggie “sausage” pizza – the perfect way to end a VERY long day of house hunting!

Hopefully my next post will be me telling you guys that we found the perfect place to live!  One more day…

Freya     at 4:02 pm

Wow that is a lot of house hunting! It must be so fun though – I’m addicted to property shows so to do it for realz must be awesome!
Good luck with the rest of them :)

Stacy @ Every Little Thing     at 4:02 pm

I’m crossing my fingers for you! Seattle is pretty awesome and having Portland so close is neat too. It’s a fun train ride!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 4:05 pm

Greenlake is pretty! There are some nice-looking kitchens in those photos at least, I hope you find what you’re looking for.

Chase     at 4:05 pm

What an exhausting day! Good luck on the hunt! I happen to love field roast. I think it’s the fennel seeds that give it that great sausage-y taste! P.S. If you need an apartment in Seattle/Bellevue which allows dogs as a temporary stop-gap, let me know. I have connections =)

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 4:06 pm

Challah french toast is an amazing breakfast. And something one can easily make at home. I want to try that topping bar!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin     at 4:09 pm

Wow that pizza looks soo good!! I hope that the housing situation goes well for you guys – its gotta be hard looking when you currently live across the country so you HAVE to secure a place when you’re over there! I’ve never moved anywhere other than the east coast so I can’t even imagine. Sending good vibes your way!

Sarah @ The Pajama Chef     at 4:11 pm

wow those toppings look amazing!

Kerry Cloud-Pitt     at 4:16 pm

Good luck in your house hunt. I am selfishly LOVING your posts from Seattle, as I am a very homesick Seattleite living in Florida. The photos make me ache for good veg food, a trot around greenlake and a little gray weather! Seattle is a magical place and you and your family will be blessed living there!

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey     at 4:21 pm

I want that French toast. Now, please. :)

It’s true what you said about rental houses… people trash them. We are in a rental house right now (have been for almost 3 years), but we had to work for about 6 weeks to get it up to snuff. We painted EVERY wall in the house (aside from a couple of closets) because the people who had lived there before were so ICKY. Stains. Dog hair that seems like it was NEVER vacuumed. It was EVERYWHERE. (and we have a dog – so I know how it can be – but still. Ick). We’ve added so much ($$) to the house, it’s ridiculous. But I wanted it to be a place where we were happy, whether we owned it or not. So, you do what you gotta do.

Good luck!

~

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 4:22 pm

Sounds like you’re handling all the house hunting craziness very well :)

I might have missed this, but when will you actually be moving?

Heather     at 4:27 pm

Good luck on the house hunting! Do you guys have any ‘must-haves’ or ‘deal-breakers’ while you’re looking? I’m halfheartedly looking at places around DC, but I feel like maybe my list is too specific!

Susan     at 4:30 pm

I always found the bridge/water thing interesting. When I lived up there, there was a storm and water was going onto the bridge. I think they may have closed it (with cars still on it) for a little bit.

I lived on the Eastside and I liked it, but we also worked on the Eastside so it was convenient. I hope you two can find something in Seattle so Casey’s commute won’t be too bad. I lived there 10 years ago and the traffic was bad, but maybe things have improved since then.

Amanda (Still Life With Duck)     at 4:35 pm

I’m definitely checking out Portage Bay soon, possibly this weekend!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 4:39 pm

I don’t know which breakfast looked better? Dang that was an amazing day of eats! Good luck on the house hunting Emily and make sure to get some rest!

Whitney     at 4:39 pm

I used to drive across 520 every day and thought it was so interesting about the choppy water on one side of the bridge with calm on the other :)

I would recommend trying to find a place in the Seattle area (or North/South) if at all possible since Casey will be working downtown. There will (very soon) be a pretty steep toll on the 520 bridge (since it was built in the 1960s and slowly crumbling into the lake… :) ) so it could be upwards of $10/day to drive on it and traffic is never good.

I definitely think you guys would like the Greenlake area! Hope you are enjoying the visit to your future home!

colleen     at 4:39 pm

Hopefully something positive happens soon. Everything will work out. Try not to stress too much – not good for you or ‘baby garnish’s’ health.

Elia     at 4:45 pm

I am a Washingtonian. Born and raised and have lived all over the Puget Sound. Since Casey would be downtown, I would suggest maybe looking at West Seattle. Maybe not the Alki area, it can be kind of expensive especially if you’re only staying one year in the rental property. But the Fauntleroy area is nice as well. Lots of great activities and places to go in West Seattle. I worked downtown while we lived in West Seattle and would take the bus back & forth. It was easy and convenient, and great for commuters.
I wish you both all the best in your house hunting, I know how hard it can be.

Abby     at 4:48 pm

It sounds like you are going to fall in love with Seattle! :)

Lisa     at 5:05 pm

The water is always like that! It’s so weird!

Queen Anne is an expensive but nice area. Greenlake is great too. My Grandma lives near Greenlake. I used to walk around the lake in the summer. I think it’s a little over 2 miles?

Milica Reply:

The inner loop (close to the water edge) is 2.84 miles. The outer loop, closer to the streets, is 3.2 miles.

Amelia     at 5:11 pm

So glad to see that you are feeling better and have a better appetite. :) Good luck on the house hunt.

Has Casey already started working in Seattle or are you both headed back to D.C. to pack up then move?

Jenna     at 5:12 pm

Good luck today! Hope you are able to find a great house. Field Roast is the best! And it’s made here in Seattle..makes it even better :)

Maryann (The Balanced Bean)     at 5:17 pm

I used to live in greenlake and looooved it!! Portage bay is the best! Ah sorry I get so excited seeing all this seattle stuff, I totally miss it!

becca @ bellebottoms     at 5:23 pm

That french toast looks UH-mazing!

I’m so pumped for your move to Seattle! It seems like such a great fit for you guys!

Julia     at 5:42 pm

I hope you find the perfect house. Rentals drive me nuts as well, I can’t wait until my life is stable enough to have a house.
That pizza looks absolutely amazing! I may have to request pizza for dinner tonight :)

Emma (Namaste Everyday)     at 5:43 pm

French toast is insane on challah!!! so are grilled cheese sandwiches…YUM!

Emily     at 5:54 pm

We did a recent apartment search in Denver (can’t afford a whole house in areas we’d like to live) and it was awful. I couldn’t believe landlords were even willing to show some of the places, they were in such bad shape. I can’t wait to buy a house either!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking)     at 5:55 pm

I am keeping that brunch place in mind in case I visit Seattle soon :) Looks so good! Good luck with the house hunting :)

Kevie     at 5:58 pm

…you call THAT a GIANT dollop of whipped cream??…

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy     at 6:33 pm

Oh man, that french toast is outta this world!!! I always notice that about the water as well. So weird. Greenlake is so pretty. One of my good high school friends lives in Greenlake and runs around it frequently.

Jen     at 6:59 pm

You are so gorgeous in that picture, and I love the idea of a toppings bar too!

Cindy     at 7:21 pm

Oh my goodness that french toast looks so good!

Liz     at 7:27 pm

Greenlake is a great place to run! and that french toast looks AMAZING!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 7:31 pm

We are house hunting right now, too. It can be so fun and frustrating at the same time. Good luck with finding a place you love!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 8:09 pm

A restaurant with challah french toast AND a toppings bar? Heavenly!

I hope you guys find a great place with the things you really are looking for. It looks like some beautiful areas. :)

Beth     at 8:19 pm

That french toast and toppings bar looks AMAZING! Good luck with the housing search!

Irina     at 8:21 pm

OMG, Seattle is beautiful! I visited last year (from Nor Cal) and LOVED it. I obviously donot know you so well, but from what I can ready, you will LOVE it there! Best of luck with houses, keep faith, you will find a great place. It is only for a year and you will be out of it before you know it and in your own place.
I never really comment, but I totally hear you on the pizza front – I am almost 8 weeks pregnant and bread and cheese sounds so good. I had 2 caprese panini sandwiches in the past 2 days and I never get sandwiches with anything other than hummus and veggies!!! I am off to get another pizza for dinner.

Have a safe flight back to East Coast (I miss it, I moved to CA from Arlington, VA by way of Pittsburgh, PA… but Seattle is so nice, almost makes me not miss Northern VA.)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 8:27 pm

Im crossing my fingers for you!!! Ugh, we looked at so many houses when we were looking last year. I know you’ll find one you love!

Vicky @ Shrimpaholic     at 8:54 pm

That sounds like a ton of house hunting! But it looks like that amazingly delicious French toast is worth it!

Ashley     at 9:10 pm

The rentals in Denver were beyond crappy. I’m pretty sure the house we lived in would have been condemned if it was inspected. Field Roast sausages are soooooo good!! Gluten and I aren’t getting along too well, so I’m not sure I can eat them anymore. Challah French toast is THEE best everrrrr. Such a fun post..sounds like you’re enjoying yourselves. Good luck!

Rhonda     at 10:35 pm

Coming from Seattle the Evergreen Point Bridge is actually a floating bridge. In the photo you posted it appeared that you were heading to the East, so the wind was coming in from the South to create that chop only on one side. Yes, indeed there are times when both sides are choppy, and then you just want to get “home”. Love Seattle, miss the green and the water.

Deva (Voracious Vorilee)     at 10:45 pm

I hope you guys find a great house! Are you having to research new OBs and pediatricians along with the move, or do you think you’ll get more in-depth with that after y’all have made the big move?

Yena     at 12:52 am

Ah! Portage Bay French Toast! I go to the University of Washington, so I’ve been to Portage Bay many times and I have nothing but amazing things to say about it. So glad you went!

After reading your last post, I’m looking forward to trying the savory bread budding. It looks so good :)

Katy     at 1:14 am

i live in seattle and haven’t been to portage bay!!! i’m thinking i’ll have to try it out sometime – that french toast looks AMAZING!

Ellen     at 1:59 am

i live quite literally less than 3 blocks from that portage bay! it is my favorite place for breakfast in the city. their gluten free buckwheat pancakes are SO good. glad you are enjoying seattle :)

Tina     at 2:05 am

Good luck with your house hunting! I hope you find the perfect place for your growing family.

…and that french toast looks divine! It’s 2am, and now I have a crazy craving for breakfast!

Jumanah (Healthy Living in the Middle East)     at 4:19 am

Looks like you guys had a busy day! At least you ate very well- that topping bar- OMG- delicious! Good luck with the house hunting.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com     at 9:10 am

Loads of house hunting, decisions to make, packing and moving. But I’m very excited for you three :)

Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out     at 10:24 am

Good luck with the house hunt. I know it’s stressful. You seem to handling it very well :)

The pizza looked incredible and the French toast… well… I kinda wanted to lick the computer screen. What? Is that weird?

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me     at 10:24 am

House hunting is definitely exhausting and it can actually be very discouraging. There’s so much junk out there and everyone jumps on the good stuff. It can be tough. I think you’re smart to wait till you guys know which neighborhood you want to buy in. That year will fly by and before you know it you’ll be in your own home!

AJ @ Flowing to Fifty     at 10:28 am

House hunting is HARD! It’s difficult when you’re looking for a rental and it gets even harder when it’s time to buy. Seattle looks amazing. Try to find some downtime – and I’m sure more the yummy pizza will help!

Trying to find a decent house in our price range has been much harder for my husband and I than we previously thought! We have been looking for quite awhile and it definitely seems to go the same way. There will be junk places, or actual decent places with a ton of competition.

Good luck to you!

Meagan     at 12:47 pm

Wow Emily! What a fun day. I can’t get over a real restaurant place does toppings like that. Oh, I want to eat some!! I like house hunting.

Lauren     at 1:00 pm

hi! i’m a first time reader and i live in seattle! my grandma has lived here forever, and she told me that when the water is choppy one one side of the bridge and smooth on the other side, that means bad weather is coming :) neat, huh!

ps if you get a chance, go check out the cherry trees at the university of washington! full bloom right now!!

bitt     at 3:21 pm

I’m not sure if you are reading comments or taking advice on Seattle, but I recommend NOT living on the Eastside. People who live over there like it, but they really don’t get in the city too often. Plus if your husband works downtown he’ll have to fight bridge traffic and a new toll. Greenlake is a much better option.

Sarah (Running To Slow Things Down)     at 3:58 pm

You *will* find that perfect house that screams home to you. It’s better to be patient and find the right one vs. settling for any old place. :D

Your breakfast looks fabulous! :D

Samantha     at 5:42 am

I’ve been reading for a while, but have never commented. This is actually unrelated to your latest post, however, you seem to be interested in the science behind things. Anyways, I saw this and thought you would find it interesting.

faith in food     at 9:39 am

I WANT TO MOVE BACK!! why did i ever leave!!! i grea up there and am homesick too!

have you guys looked at the greenwood area, its not far from greenlake, but has a very good price cut. there is also the “freelard” area (an odd intersection between fremont and ballard, an di gueds ballard has really become a fun place to be and fremont has a great market. i agree with the person to stay on i-95, those bridget get horrendous!you have small windows to get to and from the city without sitting in terrible traffic. if you want to live a “city life, dont go further north than northgate, wallingford has some great fixer uppers. also don’t forget abut the centennial trial, runs all the way from bothell down thorugh the city, it’s awasome and beutiful.
you have found vegan pizza
vegan thai (though not quite so easy on the tum) Araya’s in the u-dist, there is also this awsome vegan/ra food place on 50th Chaco Canyon Cafe.

faith in food     at 9:39 am

you have found vegan pizza

Meghan     at 12:15 pm

That sausage looks very real! I hope it was good!

Cassie @ Tofu Meets Her Match     at 2:00 pm

We’re visiting Seattle right now too and did 12 miles around Greenlake yesterday–best place ever to run! So different than running in NYC. So many cute dogs to distract me! I hope you guys find an awesome place, Seattle is so much fun.

Monica     at 2:44 pm

Good luck with the hunt!

I so feel you on the pizza. It shocks me that my stomach can’t handle most things these days, but pizza it totally does. Is all I wanted last night for dinner was pizza and caesar salad. Neither of which I ate before the preggo days!

Kat @ Big Apple Little Kitchen     at 4:46 pm

Yummy pizza! So jealous about all your delicious Portland food adventures!

Sheena     at 7:01 pm

That water behavior is so strange…nature is mysterious at times! Do you anticipate that this relocation will become a permanent place for you all in the long term?

Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan)     at 7:21 pm

Good luck! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you!
And that pizza looks awesome, especially the veggie sausage part,nomnomnom :)

I was just wondering: Is Casey a vegetarian like you? It must be nice to agree on places to eat!

That french toast bar sounds awesome, I wish we had stuff like that here! Looks like Seattle is living up to it’s ‘vegetarian-friendly’ name ;)

Ash Bear     at 9:33 pm

I just added that breakfast place to my Seattle list of places I want to go when I’m back this summer. Good luck with the hunt and I hope you all find the place of your dreams!:0

Kristen, Sweetly     at 10:11 pm

Seattle looks GORGEOUS! Color me jealous. I’m sending good house-finding vibes your way. :-)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 6:12 am

Oh. my goodness. Topping bar of the YEAR! I would killll to go to a restaurant and have my pick of breakfast toppins:)

Jen     at 7:09 am

Keeping my fingers crossed that you find a house quickly!!!
What a topping bar, that is awesome!!!!

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com     at 11:24 am

It’s so wonderful seeing all the places I know and love in these posts!

Glad you’re coming to Seattle and that you’ve found a place that suits you. You’ve got to go on a tour of Theo Chocolate Factory in Fremont. I organized the International Food Blogger Conference there last year and let’s just say…tasted all the chocolate in the world :)

Yum – count me in for next year’s conference! :)

Amy     at 11:41 am

I’m definitely a lurker more than a commenter, but I had to pop in and say you are absolutely glowing :) You look great…and I’m very late to this party, but congratulations!