House Hunters: Seattle Edition.

Good morning, friends!  Sorry for the disappearing act – I have been going non-stop from coast to coast, and when we finally got back home yesterday, I crashed hard.  There was a LOT of sleeping involved, and I finally feel more like myself again now that I’m a little more caught up.

Backing up to the rest of our Seattle adventures!  Friday was another day of frantic phone calls and emails, setting up appointments, applying for houses, and then sitting through torturously long waits to see if we actually had anywhere to live.  By the time we headed out to our last dinner in Seattle on Friday night, we were hoping to have good news to celebrate, but instead I was still just a big ball of nerves!

We headed to the Capitol Hill neighborhood to a restaurant I had been excited to try for a month!  Plum Bistro is all vegan fine dining!

The space is beautiful and open, and had a great feel to it.  I can already tell we will be eating there a LOT once we move!

Unfortunately as we made our way to the restaurant, for the first time in almost two weeks, I suddenly got SLAMMED with nausea.  As soon as we were seated I had to excuse myself to go throw up in the bathroom.  I don’t know if it was just standard pregnancy sickness, or if all the house hunting anxiety and traveling added to it, but I was so surprised that it came back so suddenly.  I felt a bit better afterwards though, I tried to pull it together to still enjoy a nice dinner out in Seattle.

We got the vegan sushi appetizer, and I was pleased to successfully eat two pieces!

Probably the most vegetables I have actually eaten in the last 12 weeks (that didn’t come in soup form).  It was really good, and got me excited for when I can actually eat flavorful, veggie food again.

And then the main courses came out!  Casey got a tofu salad burger along with delicious sweet potato fries.

And I got the “double-dipped seitan” which came with asparagus (high in folic acid!) and smashed potatoes with vegan country gravy.  The first trimester is all about comfort food.

My double-dipped seitan looked like country fried steak!  It was really good, but sadly I couldn’t eat very much of it.  We boxed it up so Casey could eat it later back at the hotel!  I can’t wait to have a decent appetite back again.

Saturday morning we worked from the hotel again while still waiting to hear back on some houses we were interested in.  We had a few that we liked, and we went back and forth weighing the pros and cons between our two favorites.  Here was our personal version of House Hunters Seattle…

House #1:

• big and gorgeous with amaaaaaaaazing balcony and view
  • plenty of space and big bedrooms
  • out in the ‘burbs, so no walkability outside the neighborhood
  • over on the Eastside, which means much longer commute for Casey
  • more expensive ($100 over the original budget we had set)

House #2:

• much much smaller, but still has 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms (!)
  • strange floorplan, with 1 bedroom on 1st floor and others on 3rd floor
  • high walkscore (88) in a fun, quirky neighborhood
  • can walk to PCC Natural Foods (natural grocery store), great bike trail, and a vegetarian restaurant
  • closest of all the houses we saw to Casey’s work – under 4 miles, which means very short commute
  • less expensive (under budget!)

Did they choose the big open floorplan house out in the Eastside suburbs, or the townhouse in the city much closer to Casey’s job?

We felt sort of conflicted, so we headed over to Fremont (neighborhood of house #2) to explore on Saturday afternoon, and get to know the neighborhood better and see if it seemed like a place we would want to live.  Another big perk of house #2 – it is just several blocks from the WATERFRONT!

We walked along the Burke-Gilman trail, which I see us doing lots of long runs on in the future.  It runs right along the water, just like my beloved Mt. Vernon trail here in Virginia.  And who says the sun never shines in Seattle?  Saturday morning was gorgeous and sunny, and the sun was sparkling over the pretty water.

One of my biggest concerns about living IN the city of Seattle was finding a place that felt safe to me.  Of course it is a perfectly safe city, but in all cities you need to be aware of safety and surroundings, and I am a BIG wimp when it comes to crime.  In particular, since I work from home and will be on my own during the days now, I wanted to make sure we lived in an area where I feel comfortable going for walks and runs around town on my own.

We checked out the local shops and the Saturday scene, and took a break to soak up some sunshine at Fremont Coffee.

I sipped on an old fashioned root beer – YUM!

And relaxed on an adorable balcony overlooking the main stretch of Fremont.  It’s such a cute, funky little neighborhood!

After our explorations, we had our mind made up.  We headed back to house #2 to take one more peek through, and then filled out the application for the lease to make it our new home!  We are still waiting on final approval from the landlord now, but I am crossing every finger and toe that this will be my new kitchen!

Ultimately we decided that having a short commute for Casey (making it much easier for him to get home if needed!) was our top priority.  We are kind of obsessed with each other, and like to spend as much time together as humanly possible.  So a ten minute commute vs. an hour commute for house #1 made the decision easy for us.

After we left our new place (!!!), we were staaaarving, so thought we’d check out some of the restaurant spots in our new ‘hood.  Imagine my excitement when I discovered an all-vegetarian diner just a few blocks from our place – meant to be!

Casey ordered something called the “neat” loaf, which was vegan meatloaf with mashed potatoes and vegan gravy.  Looked insane.

Tomato cabbage soup on the side…

I have discovered that with my nausea and sickness, the best way for me to get any sort of nutrients and vegetables down is by eating SOUP.  I have always been a huge soup fan, but recently it’s pretty much all I eat.  My lunch was the vegan dal – a delicious blend of mild spices and lentils.  Nice to get some good protein in too!

We had the rest of the day to kill in Seattle before taking the red-eye home, so we ended up heading to a Starbucks where Casey worked, and I sat with headphones and live-streamed the Butler vs. VCU final four game!

My little sister goes to Butler, so March Madness has become a BIG deal in our family.  Okay, actually just me and Sarah care about it, but that’s okay.  :)  She is crazy and actually drove 18 hours to Houston after she scored student tickets, and she texted me this picture right before the game started!

PART_1301790344399 (640x478)

I tried really hard to not do too much loud clapping and slamming my fists on the table, since I was watching in a Starbucks and not a sports bar.  Can’t wait for the finals tonight (Sarah has floor seats!).  We took the red eye home late night, which I realized I am way too old (and pregnant) to do anymore.  I spent all day yesterday sleeping and recovering, and I am just now feeling functional again!

Cross your fingers that we get the final lease signed for our new place today, and that we have a beautiful home to look forward to moving into in May.  Aaaaaand GO BULLDOGS!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing     at 11:01 am

Wow! What a whirlwind. Sounds like the house will best just right though :) Hope everything goes smoothly from here on out!

Noelle     at 11:01 am

I can’t even eat soup! I can’t stand too many spices. My mother told me to at least drink the lentil broth, since it is high in iron and folic. The nausea is supposed to be over after the 1st trimester. I am hoping and waiting for week 13. :D

Freya     at 11:03 am

Good luck!! I think a short commute is important – once the babu has arrived, you’ll probably both be so grateful he’s near :)
I can’t believe how brave you are with the sickness! It must be a shame to miss out on all the food though :(

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 11:03 am

I love all the amazing food you found in Seattle! You’re so close to having your appetite back and being able to enjoy it all again- hang in there :)

Good luck with house #2- sounds like an awesome location!!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 11:06 am

Yay! Gorgeous kitchen, I hope you get it!

Aimee     at 11:06 am

The funky floor plan could be a blessing in disguise… put the guest room/office in that first floor room and leave the two on the same floor for you & casey and the wee one. easier to get to one another in the middle of the night while also encouraging a work/life balance… if the office is out of sight, it’s out of mind, right? ;)
My guy & I are (hopefully) moving to Bellingham this summer. We absolutely fell in love with Washington when we visited… so ethereal and mystical out near the woods & waters.

Whit     at 11:07 am

Your new (hopefully) home is in one of my favorite neighborhoods and Seattle! Awesome coffee shops, restaurants, the PCC around there rocks, and so much more! Good luck!

Meghan     at 11:07 am

Great post!! I love house hunters. Thanks for sharing!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 11:07 am

The house you guys are hopefully getting sounds great! Having bedrooms on different floors will be an adjustment but I’m sure you will make it work. :)

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin     at 11:08 am

Wow Seattle is beautiful!! Sending positive vibes and wishes your way that you get the place!!!

Whitney Reply:

We try to keep Seattle as much of a secret as possible…..because Seattelites know how beautiful it is, and how everyone would want to move here if they knew it too, lol! :)

Heather     at 11:08 am

what a tough house decision! Dont know what i would have done. But then again I have never lived anywhere walkable so I guess I dont know what i am missing?

Jordan (Ciao Cow)     at 11:08 am

Good luck on getting the house in Fremont! I’m glad you got at least one day of sunshine while you were here. Seattle is so wonderful when it is sunny.

Katy @ MonsterProof     at 11:09 am

I definitely find that the nausea is more likely to hit when I’ve pushed myself too hard. Hope you continue to feel better! And it looks like a great housing choice!

Amy     at 11:11 am

Fremont is so beautiful and fun and funky – you guys will love it there. And in my opinion, choosing the shorter commute–and the city locale–was a great choice. The walkability can’t be beat, and as a fellow work-from-homer, I know how important that is!

Marci     at 11:11 am

Go Butler! Their mascot is cute. Blue II. I am major rooting for them, I’m actually still a contender in my bracket to win some big $$ if they win!
Our house is three story with one bedroom down and two on the top floor. We love vertical living. Get some extra strong quads from all the stairs all day.
Pictures look like a lovely area!

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 11:12 am

Good luck on the house! Option #2 definitely sounds like the better choice

Liz     at 11:12 am

I think the Fremont house seems like the best choice with such a fun location with lots of places to walk to and a short commute for Casey!

JL goes Vegan     at 11:12 am

I hope you get that house! It sounds like a really decision re: proximity to work!

I’m drooling over you delicious vegan eats!

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life     at 11:14 am

Good luck! I really hope you get the place, even though it’s smaller I think all of the other pros outweigh that. And it is only temporary. ;)

Brittney     at 11:15 am

I think house #2 sounded like the better fit for you guys for sure! That kitchen looks great! I hope you get the house! Also, your post made me REALLY hungry!

Parita @ myinnershakti     at 11:19 am

Wow so much going on for y’all! So exciting! I have a feeling you are going to fall totally in love with Seattle pretty quickly!

P.S. That food looks amazing…all of it…kinda jealous!!!

Bronwyn Coyne     at 11:19 am

Yep sometimes the sun does shine up here on the North(ish) West Coast. I’m from vancouver and saturday was an absolutely delightful day to be honest.

Kat @ Big Apple Little Kitchen     at 11:19 am

Good luck with the house (it looks beautiful)! Also, still amazed by the amazing food in Portland!

Ally     at 11:21 am

How are you transporting the pups? I might have to do a cross country move in a few months and have been wondering what the best way to transport my 2 dogs is.

Casey is driving our car out with the pups and his mom. And since I get really bad road-trip anxiety, they were nice enough to offer to let me fly out a few days later. :) I feel VERY lucky!!

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey     at 11:23 am

Yay. Fingers crossed it all goes well, and thinking good thoughts for you guys.
I definitely would have chosen the walkable neighborhood, too. We live in the ‘burbs here in Charlotte, and while I adore having the space to garden, etc… I miss a walkable neighborhood so much.

~

We lived in the burbs in Charlotte too!

Beth     at 11:24 am

House #2 sounds completely awesome! And I’m sure you’ll appreciate the closeness when baby garnish comes!

Cristen     at 11:27 am

The house sounds awesome! Love the idea of having the one bedroom on the first floor which would be great as a guest room/office. The separateness will be great when Baby comes.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you get some good news in regards to the house soon!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 11:28 am

My fingers are crossed for you Emily! Tony and I work together and if we ever had to be apart again…we would want the commute to be short. What a waste of time commuting is. Good luck on the new place!

Lisa     at 11:28 am

Well I am biased having grown up on the West side. We were raised to look down on the Eastside. LOL

I think Fremont is the better choice for young people who want to be near funky restaurants and things to do. The eastside is a different mentality…housing developments that all look the same and chain restaurants.

I learned quickly that people in Seattle are SO loyal to their sides/neighborhoods! :)

Lisa Reply:

LOL we are!

Jenn Reply:

I have lived on both sides of the water, and both have their good sides. One of the things I like about living in an area like Fremont IS the accesability to the stores around. I LOVE being able to walk to the grocery, restaurants or even the local bar. The short commute for your hubby isn’t so bad either!

Whitney Reply:

Having grown up on the Eastside, I can definitely say that Lisa is speaking the truth…..it’s amazing how much people on the West side think they are superior. Why can’t we all just get along? :)

Lisa Reply:

It IS very weird! And when my best friend bought a condo in Bellevue my first thought was “Oh my god. I have to drive to Bellevue to visit her? Ugh.” Hahahaha!

bitt Reply:

I like the eastside, I just think it’s bad for the environment to live so far from where you work. And a waste of ones live to spend 2 hours in a car or bus each day.

Shanna Reply:

Oh Whitney, it’s because Seattle IS better! ;) The one big, new thing to consider is the toll on 520 in addition to commute time. Going over the bridge will be EXPENSIVE now!

miranda @ working mom works out     at 11:30 am

You made me want to visit Seattle! The food looked great. I hope you guys get the house you want.

And I love that you guys are obsessed with one another. Swoon.

Victoria     at 11:30 am

Hope you hear back about the house soon! My husband does the eastside-seattle commute (we live in the city, he works in redmond) and it can really stink! Fremont is such a fun neighborhood!

colleen     at 11:35 am

Sounds like you selected the best house. Size isn’t everything. Especially if you are giving up on things you want – walkablity, closeness to shops/restuarants, etc. Crossing the digits for a quick signing of the papers.

Brittany     at 11:43 am

Yay! Can’t wait to see the rest of ya’lls new home!!! So exciting!

Laine     at 11:46 am

Shorter commute is the way to go! Hope you get it!

Ali     at 11:50 am

I am a fan of small houses in the city. What you lose in indoor size you gain in outdoor size – as in, proximity to parks, restaurants, walking trails, etc. Plus, smaller is not only cheaper up front, but more affordable to furnish (ie, less furniture), quicker to clean, and I somehow feel safer in a house where everything is within earshot. Totally great choice. Fingers crossed!!

Toooooooootally agree. We looked a few bigger houses and I kept thinking “we don’t have the furniture to fill this!” The new house is a great size relative to what we already have – basically just need nursery furniture! Plus I HATE cleaning, so the smaller the better. :)

Megan     at 11:51 am

You must, must, must eat at Chiso Sushi in Fremont (http://www.chisofremont.com/menu.htm) when you move there. It is the best vegetarian sushi I have ever had. They have both vegetarian nigiri and rolls. Delicious.

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine     at 11:53 am

How fun! I love looking at homes, even if I’m not in the market for one! hehe! Number 2 sounds like my plan with the bedroom on 3rd and one more on 1st. I like it because it feels huge but isnt. Atleast you have the second room up top for the baby! Some people here bought my plan and keep their baby on the 1st! I would die!! I would need the baby to be on the same floor!

We ruled out any house that had a master bedroom separated from a future nursery – no way I could handle being on a different floor!

Ashley     at 11:56 am

Fingers are crossed for you guys!!! Sounds like it’s going to work out though. I knew it would!! I’m so insanely jealous of all the veggie eats. We have a few spots here, but nothing like all of those! :)

Jules     at 11:58 am

House #2 sounds awesome! Hope it all works out. I would love to be near all that great stuff! And the floor plan will probably be your best bet. I know it sounds weird on paper, but think about having a guest room that is set apart from the master and nursery…and you will certainly need a guest room when that baby comes, because EVERYONE will be climbing over each other to stay over and help out!

Haha I hope so!

Mary     at 12:07 pm

Hey there, I just started reading your blog and was excited to see that you are moving to my home Seattle! Fremont is a fabulous neighbor, you will be very happy with it! Also a great diner to try is called Roxy’s. They have great breakfasts and although it is not totally vegetarian they have yummy veggie sausage and some other great options:) Welcome to this amazing city!!

Mary

How fun! Hoping to meet up with new Seattle friends when we finally get there and get settled! I saw the huge line at Roxy’s when we were there on Saturday – can’t wait to check it out!

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life     at 12:07 pm

what an eventful weekend! fingers crossed you get the home you want!!

Ally (oatsandspice)     at 12:11 pm

Congrats on the new house! It it gorgeous! Looks like you had a great time filled with delicious food – I bet there are so many amazing vegan restaurants in the Seattle area!

I would have picked the second house too. Many prayers that everything works out!!

Sarah @ goingongoals     at 12:21 pm

I hope everything works out with your new house! I really like the second option. I think when I leave DC I will also compare running trails to the Mt Vernon trail. Great trail and the views continue to take my breath away!

Clare @ Fitting It All In     at 12:24 pm

I was definitely going to say House number 2 sounded like the better deal..hope you get it and love it!
My mom just got back from Seattle and brought back the most interesting orzos and chocolate covered cherries:)

Michaela     at 12:24 pm

If that’s the kitchen the house can’t possibly be that small! It’s an absolutely gorgeous kitchen. I can’t say I’m not a teensy bit jealous.

It’s bigger than what we have now!

Christina     at 12:25 pm

I was going to say the 2nd house sounds like it may be a better fit. I hope you guys get a call soon about it! That stuff is just so stressful. Once you guys figure out the living sitch you’ll be good to go.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite     at 12:26 pm

Wow, sounds like such a crazy/busy trip, but all good things! Good luck! And I’m with you on the red eye thing…it just doesn’t work for me usually :)

Amanda (Still Life with Duck)     at 12:29 pm

I’m so happy for you that you chose House #2. The Eastside would be a shock to the system after Old Town, not to mention public transit is limited so traffic is especially painful. Good luck!

Agreed! Giving up the walkability felt really sad to me!

Maryann(Lancaster PA)     at 12:32 pm

@nd house good choice you need to be close and with baby Garnish coming it will help. Love that kitchen. That food looked delish. How come I’m always looking at your blog when I’m hungry. Please rest up the next couple of days. Take a break. Your pregnant girl rest!
Blessings
Lancaster PA GAl

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 12:32 pm

Congrats on finding a house!! That kitchen is absolutely gorgeous! Can’t wait to see more pictures!

PS – When is the anticipated move date?

Looks like 2nd week of May! Going to be here FAST!

Kat     at 12:36 pm

Hot tip – you’re very close to the best (IMO) Trader Joe’s in the city! It’s just down the road in Ballard.

YESSSSS! Awesome! I was just googling my proximity to TJ’s, Whole Foods, and yoga studios. :)

Kat Reply:

Two good WF options close by, and too many yoga studios to count!!

Margaret @ The Urban Hiker     at 12:47 pm

Its funny that you worry about safety in the city when I get way more freaked out in the suburbs. I am sure that it has something to do with having grown up in an urban center but I always feel like I get to know my neighbors way better and the problems that come with a city are so much better than the suburbs.

My bestfriend and I have this debate all the time since he is a big fan of the suburbs. Growing up he didn’t like the fact that people went through my trash for recycling and that I knew all the local homeless but he got evacuated for forest fires all the time and there is only one road in and out of his neighborhood which always made me concerned that I was going to get trapped.

Plus the shorter commute is always worth it. This past year is the first time in my life (every school I have attended and every job that I have ever had) where my commute is more than a mile and it sucks.

Well I am scared in cities AND the suburbs – I’m just really wimpy when it comes to crime. :) But I agree, I always feel safer when there are people all around! We lived out in the sticks/woods in Charlotte and I was terrified to sleep there alone.

Margaret @ The Urban Hiker Reply:

When I moved into my very first place by myself I was so happy to be in a converted house with nice neighbors right across from my front door. I actually liked hearing my downstairs neighbors b/c I felt less alone and knew that if anything ever happened they would come running.

When I house sit for family out in the burbs I am a thousand times more scared to be by myself. its funny how things that don’t scare me in the city (sirens) make me crazy skittish when I am by myself in a big house.

I think you will love Fremont. I have only visited it once when I was considering moving to Seattle but I really liked it. You’ll have to come to Portland sometime. We have a great farmer’s market and other awesome stuff.

Chase     at 12:54 pm

I think having a short commute is going to be so important, especially with baby garnish around! He’s not going to want to be an hour away from you two! =D

Allie {Cook Read Run}     at 12:56 pm

You are a trooper! Way to stick it out after getting sick in the bathroom.
I am crossing my fingers for that to be your new kitchen too! Looks like a fun time!

Angela     at 1:08 pm

Good luck! I hope you get it! I am a rooted Eastsider, but, when I read this I thought (before I knew your choice) Fremont would be way better for your life/work situation. Also, very soon (within a month) we are going to have a ~$5 toll each way on the 520 bridge, which could really add up fast!

I think we may end up on the Eastside when we buy – either there or in Greenlake, but we have a year to figure that out!

Leila @ Spinach and Skittles     at 1:08 pm

I’m glad you guys decided on the Fremont house, I love that area of Seattle! Great Sunday market too! Did you see the Fremont Troll?

I didn’t see it, but I read all about it! We’ll have to go find him when we finally get there.

Whitney Reply:

He’s pretty easy to find….considering the street he is on is named after him :)
(I drive by him every day on my way in to work!)

Kelly     at 1:13 pm

New to your blog! I too live near the Mt. Vernon trail – I pick up in the Crystal City area and walk to the park where you can see Reagan National and the planes taking off. So relaxing!

I love that park! Best part of the trail!

Dee     at 1:24 pm

Ahh, love house hunters! Your new kitchen looks awesome! Good luck! Am sending good vibes to you all the way from NY. :)

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me     at 1:29 pm

The place looks gorgeous! House hunting is so much fun. I just love it!

Stacey (The Home-Cooked Vegan)     at 1:29 pm

My fingers are crossed for you!
I am LOVING all of the vegetarian/vegan eats that are out that way! I’ve never had seitan (can’t find a store that sales it around here!) but really want to at some point! Those restaurants sound amazing :D
I think it’s great that you plan on running again once you have the baby.
I hope you get your appetite back! You must really miss real food at this point!
PS. I think it’s cute that you say “We are kind of obsessed with each other..” lol! I feel the same way about my guy! And that’s a good way of putting it ;)

You can get seitan at Earth Fare in the same section near the tofu! :)

Margaret     at 1:38 pm

As I was reading your post today, I found myself saying, “Oh, they’re going with #2. Choose #2!” Just like I do when I watch House Hunters on TV. :) My husband and I are inseparable too; I think you made a great decision!!

Haha don’t you hate when the pick the one you don’t like? We watched one last night where their choice made NO sense!

Claire     at 1:41 pm

10 min vs. one hour?! No brainer!!

My husband has a 10 min commute and it’s the best. It’s also really handy if I need to run something to him.

I’m excited for your big move!

Claire

Me too – thanks! :)

Evan Thomas     at 1:42 pm

Glad you found a place you love! Hope everything pulls through.

LauraJayne     at 1:46 pm

Good luck! It sounds like it has been a crazy time, so it’ll be nice to have part of it resolved! I hope you start feeling better soon – the pictures of the eats are delicious, but it’s sad knowing that you didn’t get to eat much of them!

Gina     at 1:54 pm

Yay, I hope you hear back soon and can make things final! The kitchen looks great, love the gas stove, I have one now and I don’t think I would go back to electric! I can’t wait for you to settle in so we can have another get-together! Good luck:)

The gas stove was a BIG selling point. We’ve had electric in our last two houses and I HATE IT. Can’t wait to start cooking there!

Kiran     at 2:10 pm

Crossing all fingers and toes for your new lease application. Great kitchen :)

Gabrielle     at 2:17 pm

LOVE that kitchen! And it has so much more counter space than you have now. My fingers and toes are crossed. I’m sure you’ll get it! :)

YES! The counter space in our current kitchen is rough. So excited to use that counter/island!

Jessica     at 2:18 pm

Congrats on all the new, exciting things to look forward to in your life!! I love your blog!
I’ve always wanted to just visit Seattle–haven’t quite made it yet. I live in Indiana so you know I’ll be rooting for the Dawgs!!! Go Butler!!! :)

Jessica     at 2:19 pm

YAY! Fremont area IS so fun – with a lot of veg options. Did you see or go to Flying Apron bakery? vegan, gluten free, delicious and adorable! Fun. I personally think you made a great choice. Crossing fingers for you too and can’t wait to see more photos of the new house!

I saw it but haven’t been yet – it’s on my list for when we get there! :)

Little Bookworm     at 2:20 pm

Good luck with the house! :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite     at 2:20 pm

Best of luck on the house!!

It was great meeting you last night :)

You’re on the tail end of the first trimester, it’ll all be good soon :)

So nice to meet you too! :)

fittingbackin     at 2:20 pm

That is SO COOL that your sis got to go – WOW! And OMG – congrats on finding the house! Sounds like you guys made a great decision – love the kitchen! :) I hope it all works out!

shelby     at 2:21 pm

As I’m sure you are aware having spent some time there, Fremont is a perfectly safe “urban” neighborhood. No need to be afraid.

Also, your husband might want to look in to public transportation for his commute. Much easier (and, hey, probably SAFER!) than driving every day.

Good luck with the move!

It felt very safe, which is why we chose it over a few others we looked at (that were on really busy roads). Casey is going to take the bus so that we can stay a one-car family! He could probably even bike there if he found a good route.

Katie Reply:

Emily,

Welcome to Seattle! The bike commute from Fremont to downtown is great, both Westlake Ave and Dexter Ave are great routes that are used by tons of commuting cyclists everyday! I bike to work almost every day from the Fremont area and I never have any problems. I hope you enjoy living here in Seattle!

Haley     at 2:24 pm

Oh I LOVE the Burke-Gilman and the Fremont area!! You’ll have to go check out Theo Chocolates (I just assume you’re as big of a chocolate fanatic as I am, hehe).

Oh, also: that kitchen is AMAZING! I’m envisioning you and Baby Garnish having lots of fun there (vegan baby food recipes, anyone?).

GREAT LUCK on the house, you two!

laurenINlawrence     at 2:59 pm

Go Bulldogs!!! My family is all in Indy (Carmel), so I will be cheering loudly tonight, too! Looks like the Seattle move will be big and epic but AWESOME.

marie     at 3:01 pm

Don’t take this the wrong way, but it seems to me if you’re so worried about crime, perhaps posting photos of your house, neighborhood, surroundings, etc., and mentioning on your blog that you are home alone all day isn’t the best idea. I know a lot of bloggers do this and I just wondered if its ever been a concern.

Whitney     at 3:41 pm

I knew that you would like the Fremont area! Hope you are enjoying all of the excitement about moving across the country, I know that this is a very big change for you guys. But, you are right, the sun does (sometimes) come out here in Seattle :)

Laura     at 4:02 pm

Hi Emily- Since you’ve shared that you’re very aware of the crime rates in various areas, I’m wondering if there is a particular website you use to see crime data? I’m moving to a new city and want to use crime data to inform my decision of where to move. Thanks!

bitt     at 4:10 pm

Fremont has a pretty low crime rate. My neighborhood is probably much higher.

I have sat in that exact seat at Plum and eaten that exact avocado roll. And blogged about it.

You will not regret moving to real Seattle and not across the bridge. I used to work in a Seattle private school with families on the eastside and they were always late. It’s not a fun commute at all.

Emma (Namaste Everyday)     at 4:41 pm

Seattle seems like such a cool city! Also, I’ve never even heard of a vegan diner! How cool is that?

Tina     at 4:59 pm

Good luck with the house! I really hope you guys get the second one. It sounds great!

Bizzle     at 5:04 pm

Keeping my fingers crossed! Can’t wait to see more of the new (hopefully) place!

Sarah @ The Pajama Chef     at 5:06 pm

looks like a great new house! :) hope it works out….

and we’re in bloomington, IN…cheering on butler tonight!!!

Kristy@RunTheLongRoad     at 5:08 pm

Best of luck with the house! And go Butler!!!!! I can’t even imagine the fun your sister is having right now!

hippierunner     at 5:22 pm

Awww I love that you said “we are kind of obsessed with each other”. That is so sweet! :) My boyfriend and I are like that. Fingers crossed for you!

Cathy     at 5:24 pm

Congrats on the new house decision!!

I am from Indiana and go to law school in Bloomington. My closest friends here went to Butler and needless to say they are all going crazy about this game. It’s going to be a good one but I have approximately zero doubt that Butler will pull through this year! Go Bulldogs!

Martha Lilian     at 5:29 pm

I have serious kitchen envy right now! What a gorgeous kitchen and what a fun little neighborhood.

katie     at 5:44 pm

Just saw that the stove is gas…UNREAL!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine     at 5:44 pm

That kitchen is GORGEOUS!! Open space is always nice, but #2 sounds way better for all those pros listed! The “we’re obsessed with each other” comment made me smile. So sweet :)

Melanie @ Trial By Trail     at 5:46 pm

My vote is for house #1 cause I live on the eastside too and I want to meet you! :)

Abby     at 6:14 pm

House #2 sounds like such a great match for you guys! So excited for you!

Carol     at 6:14 pm

Fingers are crossed for ya!!! Looks like you will have an amazing view!

Glad you are home safe and sound:)

Chelsea Raynes     at 6:15 pm

When my hubby and I moved from VA to Montana we were only able to come out and visit one time. We left knowing we had to be there in 3 weeks, and with no home. I didn’t even think about contacting people ahead of time and filling out applications before. It all worked out though just fine!!! I hope your not to stressed out :)

Kristina     at 6:46 pm

Congratulations! You guys definitely made the right choice – location/commute are really important.

The house (judging by the kitchen picture) looks gorgeous… I’m really impressed with how well-kept-up it looks! We were looking at rental houses (in Minneapolis) and ended up going with a condo instead because it seemed like none of the houses we looked at were very well maintained…

Kate (What Kate is Cooking)     at 6:54 pm

That kitchen is SO beautiful. I hope you get it! Good luck :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)     at 7:09 pm

congrats on your almost new house! the kitchen rocks!

and being sick, out of no where. Yep. Pregnancy. I remember the days. Hope you’re feeling better!

Lee     at 7:13 pm

I hope you get the house. I think you picked the right one. All of those benefits really do outweigh a bigger house, especially if you are renting. Good luck!

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston     at 7:48 pm

Ahh I hope you get it Emily! Sounds like your type of house and neighborhood!!

Lauren     at 9:01 pm

Sounds like a wonderful trip (minus the nausea) I really hope that you and Casey get the house you want. Crossing my fingers for you guys! :)

Brooke @ Bittersweetb     at 10:02 pm

I have my fingers crossed! I’ve always found that things seem to work out the way they are suppose to. Hopefully this one will work out for you!

Anna     at 1:22 am

You’ll be here in time for the Fremont Solstice Parade!

Elisabeth     at 1:28 am

The kitchen of the one you picked is gorgeous! I love the countertops and the gas range.

Good luck on the big move!

laura (starloz)     at 1:53 am

my fingers are crossed

emily     at 4:18 am

fremont is a great neighborhood! we are think about moving from belltown to fremont or cap hill sometime in the next year. i also have done many a training run on the burke gilman. good luck on the move!

Beth     at 8:59 am

You guys picked a great spot to live. Fremont is awesome! We go there often because me sister-in-law and husband live in a townhouse by the troll. Love all the restaurants around there! You will be very happy there.

We are total Eastsiders. Jeff works in Bellevue and I work in Issaquah. We have a condo we rent in Issaquah and have a house in Covington, which is near Maple Valley. There are so many great spots around the Seattle area.

Good luck on your move in May!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food     at 9:15 am

oh good luck with all of the moving business, it must be so tough when you’re also dealing with pregnancy! best wishes with everything :)

Leah     at 9:54 am

Drool-worthy post from the kitchen photo (!) to the tasty healthy food. :)

Suzanne @ continuing my education     at 10:31 am

I am so sad you are moving to Seattle, but it does sound like a great fit for you two! I have never been to Seattle, I guess it just means I will need to take a trip. It was so nice to see you on Sunday. Good luck with all the moving logistics!

Nelle @ Living Cliche     at 11:42 am

Good luck with the house! We just found a new apartment and the search was EXHAUSTING. In the end, we found our new home just a block or so from our old one! :-)

And a short commute makes all the difference in the world! My partner has a pretty nasty one from Hollywood to Santa Monica (notorious L.A. traffic) and it absolutely kills him.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 3:38 pm

That kitchen is SO so gorgeous! Mine is teeny tiny so that one owuld be a big deal:) Veggie sushi is my favorite!!

Brittany     at 4:10 pm

I love that you started this blog entry with Good Morning, Friends. I like to think that we would be, if we lived anywhere near each other (I am in central IL) But my sister just moved to Seattle a few months ago, she is a runner, and knows NO ONE! Hmmm…I may have to tune her in to your blog…

Sarah K     at 4:21 pm

The place looks great, good luck with everything!

Alaina     at 12:19 am

I have heard such great things about Seattle! It is definitely on my list of must visits. Love that kitchen too! :-)

Hannah     at 3:01 am

I’ve never left a comment but I just got so excited to see that we’re going to be neighbors! I live in the U-District, about two miles away from Fremont. I absolutely adore Fremont and the Burke-Gilman trail. Can’t wait for the big move!

Courtney     at 11:58 am

Congrats on your pregnancy & the big move! If you have a chance to visit Macrina Bakery in Belltown do it! Their food is wonderful.

Susan     at 1:51 pm

I have been a long time reader, and have been catching up on your posts lately, and was so excited to find out you two are moving to Seattle – My lovely hometown. Fremont is such a cool, funky place! I currently live in San Diego, but will be moving back to Seattle this summer. I am more than familiar with all of the delicious vegetarian and vegan places you have eaten at. I grew up blocks away from Mighty O and Greenlake – such an amazing neighborhood! You also must try Carmelita – a delicious vegetarian place in Greenwood, and Jhanjay – an amazing vegetarian Thai place in Wallingford!

Best of luck during this exciting time!

good seo services     at 5:19 pm

Hello! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with Search Engine Optimization? I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very
good gains. If you know of any please share. Kudos!