One More Goodbye.

Oh wow – what a ride!  Moving day was quite the adventure.  Casey and I were told to expect our movers at 8am, so after a night of almost –zero sleep (too nervous), I bounced out of bed at 5am to start prepping for their arrival.  There are always so many little details that have to wait until the very end before you move – one last load of laundry, disconnecting the internet/phones, cleaning out the fridge, etc.

I finished up everything and got to work on cleaning as much as I could, but the wall to wall boxes made that nearly impossible.  Once 8am arrived, I was anxious for the movers, and also exhausted from already working hard for three hours.  I plopped myself onto the only sitting surface left usable in our house – our big comfy mattress.

Casey had to work for the first half of the morning at a coffee shop, and without internet or company, I pretty much just stared out the window for a while.  By time 9:30 rolled around, I was starting to worry and called my moving representative to find out what was going on.

I won’t bore you with too many details, but the next few hours went something like this….

Phone call to moving company.  Told that they don’t know why my movers aren’t there yet, and will call me back.  Half hour passes, no phone call.  I call again.  Told I will be called back again.  An hour passes.  Exhaustion and anxiety are both running high.

11am – the truck driver calls me!  Turns out they had TWO jobs yesterday, and he decided to do the other one first.  He will be at my house around 1pm, not 8am as promised.  Exhaustion and anxiety evolve into extreme hunger and rage.

Casey comes home so that I can take a much needed break from sitting in the house (someone had to be there in case movers actually arrived).  1pm arrives, but the movers do not.  I continue to hang on by a thread, and realize that lack of food is not helping my situation.  Walk to gourmet grocery two blocks away for sandwich relief.

2pm – arrive back at home with lunch.  Sit down on the floor, unwrap my sandwich, take the first bite.  Movers arrive.  Wrap sandwich back up, and put lunch on hold until later.  Lots of swearing under my breath.

This is the only picture I got of our truck because I was so overcome with relief when they arrived that I didn’t want to do anything to disturb them.  This was taken out my third story window, and is probably only 1/3 of the actual truck.  It was a MASSIVE semi!  Definitely the biggest truck I’ve ever seen in Old Town.

Once the move started, Casey and I didn’t really know what to do with ourselves.  We ended up just hanging out on the floor of whichever room they weren’t working in, or sitting on our neighbor’s front steps for most of the afternoon.

I felt bad for the movers who were clearly exhausted having already worked another job that morning, but I was also frustrated that their (VERY) late arrival + physical exhaustion meant that our move was painfully slooooooow.  Thank god we weren’t paying by the hour.

I had so hoped that (had they been on time) we would be moved out by mid-afternoon, spend a few hours cleaning up, and then be able to walk around and enjoy Old Town on our final night.  But by last night I didn’t really care anymore – I just wanted the move to be over so that we could clean and go to bed!

The movers finally finished up around 7pm, just as the sun was starting to fade.  Despite the fact that they were very late and not very efficient, I gave them nothing but cold water, lots of smiles, and a big tip.  Saying a prayer that my things arrive safely and on time in Seattle!

After they left, Casey and I attacked the cleaning projects.  There were a lot of scuffs and dings on the walls from moving everything out, so Casey ran around with touch up paint and made the place look brand new.

I vacuumed and scrubbed every surface until it looked as bright as the day we moved in.  Because you all gave me so many great tips ahead of time, I had set aside a bag with paper towels, garbage bags, cleaning supplies, etc.  And I am forever grateful to friends Ashley and Jorge for letting us borrow their vacuum!  The only thing I didn’t have was something to clean the floors with, so this pregnant lady got down on her hands and feet and scrubbed our hardwoods by hand with a sponge and some Murphey’s soap.

I cannot even possibly describe the level of emotion and exhaustion we were experiencing at this point, having been up and working for almost 16 hours straight.  The floor scrubbing was tough because I can’t actually get down on my hands and knees anymore.  As a result of my car accident last fall, my left knee has some pinched nerves and numb spots that make it very uncomfortable to put any pressure on.  So I crab-walked around our floors until they were clean!

And finally, just before 10pm, it was over.  It was empty, it was clean, it was sad.  I celebrated, and then I cried.

I left my pretty kitchen shelves behind in hopes that someone else will use them and love them as much as me.  (I also plan to buy another set in Seattle!)

I will not lie and tell you that it was easy to walk out of the house.  After a long and exhausting day, Casey was very patient and just stood there and waited as long as I needed to stand there and take it all in.  I stood there looking at the empty rooms and remembering our move from Charlotte, and our excited arrival in Virginia.

We finally closed the door one last time, and headed back to Ashley’s to return the vacuum.  Seems fitting that she was the first person I met here, and also my last goodbye.  We actually met on our first DC house-hunting trip last July, when she so graciously decided to show us around the area.

We became good friends instantly, and I feel so grateful to have had her friendship for all the ups and downs we’ve experienced in the past 8 months.  I will miss the beautiful town and house that I loved, but most of all I will miss people like Ashley that really brought life to our journey through Virginia.  I gave her a hug goodbye, kept my brave face on, and then sobbed the entire way back to the car.

There was only one thing that seemed fitting for our final night in Old Town, as well as the 10:30pm dinner time – Hard Times Chili.  Way back when we first found our house, we celebrated with our very first dinner out in our new neighborhood at Hard Times.  It seemed fitting that we would finish our Old Town experience there too.

Delicious cornbread while we waited for our 11pm dinners…

The house draft special – home brewed caffeine-free root beer.  :)

And finally, a massive plate of vegetarian chili mac.  If moving day does not earn a meal like this, I don’t know what does…

We crashed hard at our hotel last night, and pulled out bright and early this morning so that Casey and the pups could head to Ohio, and I could board a plane to CT!

Now that we are gone, I feel at peace with our decision to move to Seattle.  It has been a rocky and very emotional road for me (as you well know), and being pregnant has certainly added to that.  For the next week I am a vagabond landing in different spots all over the country.

We drove out of Old Town this morning, and while I may have shed a few final tears, I know what we we’re doing is right.  I’m not leaving the memories or friends behind – I have packed them all deep inside of me, and plan to bring them out often and remember.  And I can smile knowing that a tiny piece of my heart will always be found back here…

Goodbye Virginia!  For now, but not forever.

Victoria (District Chocoholic)     at 4:13 pm

I know it was no fun for you, but those facial expression pictures are hysterical.

Your legs must be mad sore today after that scrubbing.

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner)     at 4:15 pm

Awww this made me well up! As my grandma always used to say to me, “it’s not the end of the story, it’s just another chapter finished”. So you’ve got SO much more to look forward to! :D

Hope the move goes well! :)

Laine     at 4:16 pm

don’t forget to Yelp about your movers (after they get your stuff safe and sound to Seattle!) Hopefully you didn’t use Gentle Giant, that doesn’t sound like them at all…

Even though I’ve only ever moved across town, it is so stressful. I hope you settle in soon!

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 4:16 pm

I am so impressed by your scrubbing of the floors. Seriously.

Suzanne @ continuing my education     at 4:19 pm

Glad the move went well! We will miss you! Hope all your travels go smoothly and you get a chance to relax and breathe!

Cindy @ The Flipping Couple     at 4:20 pm

Beautiful. And you won’t regret moving to Seattle at all. I know it’s going to be an amazing experience and I can’t wait to follow along via your blog!

Jessica (Dalyauthenticity)     at 4:21 pm

This was so good for me to read. I am going to be experiencing all of these feelings tomorrow morning starting at 7 am.

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete     at 4:22 pm

Moving is SO hard. I move every 2-3 yrs b/c my hubs is in the military and yes, we have to deal with moving companies that the one you delt with EVERY time we move. It sucks leaving places and friends, but the good news is that you will get to explore a new city and meet even more friends. I have friends all over the world because of our travels/moving, and I know that I am a much more well-rounded individual because of it! Good luck!!

On a side note: I’m happy you are moving to Seattle! I’m in Spokane, and I go there a few times a year!

Val @ Balancing Val     at 4:23 pm

Stay strong, girl!

Your life is going to continue being great!! :D

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey     at 4:23 pm

Aww, so sweet. You brought tears to my eyes.

Sorry the day didn’t go as you planned. That would have made me a hysterical mess! I had been seeing your frustrated tweets, and sending good thoughts your way.

Have fun in CT with the baby shower (right?) :)

~

Freya     at 4:25 pm

I’m impressed with how calm you were with the movers! I would’ve lost my rag for sure :P
Good luck with the journey :)

ginna     at 4:28 pm

I think even with the lateness your move went great! And only 6 hrs to pack up? Wow! When we moved from Texas to VA they boxed and loaded on the SAME day. It was horrible….took them from about 8 am until 9 pm and it was in the 100′s and there we were stuck in a hot house waiting for them to be done. I never know what to do with myself when they are there and like you said you cant really leave and have to keep an eye on them!

I cant believe you had to clean! Isnt it the landlord’s responsibility? We always vaccum when leaving but the landlord always does a deep cleaning.

Good luck with the rest of the move. I think you lucked out not having to drive cross country! :)

Summer     at 4:31 pm

Oh, Emily…you are one of my favorites. I can’t imagine what a trying time this has been for you! But on the bright side—think of all the new adventures you’re about to have, and all the stories you’ll be able to tell Baby G when he gets here :)

Ashley L     at 4:32 pm

Wow, bad movers! I hate when people aren’t on time!

Glad it’s all over and done with though. You’re doing great!

Larissa     at 4:33 pm

aww it has been a sweet circle you have gone though of moving and moving again! good luck with the rest, I personaly am jealous of Casey’s drive out there– its really really awesome ride and one not worth missing!

Paige @ Moxie and Marmalade     at 4:35 pm

Oh Emily, I so identify with this post right now. I’m moving to Dallas tomorrow and though I didn’t have the stress and drama of waiting for movers and completely emptying out a house, I know the feelings of leaving. It is truly bittersweet.

I really admire your feelings of positivity in spite of all the change. I think that’s the only way to get through a move like this in one piece — focus on the positives of what will come.

Best of luck this next week!

Shelly @ EpicOrganic.net     at 4:35 pm

Good luck with the trip to Seattle!! I will keep an eye on Virginia for you; I just accepted an offer for my dream job and will move to Virginia in 2 months!! (from Chicago). But you’re moving to my dream city in Seattle! :)

Tams     at 4:36 pm

Oh Emily, you’ve got me in tears. Good luck to Casey, the pups and you on this journey to the new chapters in your lives. We’ll catch ya on the West coast soon!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing     at 4:36 pm

Brit     at 4:40 pm

Moving can be such an emotional roller coaster and you have captured that so eloquently in this post. Good luck in Seattle!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 4:40 pm

OH my goodness gracious, it makes me so mad when I suddenly have to put down my food!! It’s like seriously? Don’t mess with me, or my food.

Stephanie @ LiveCookLove     at 4:49 pm

I teared up reading this, knowing exactly what those moving emotions feel like. It’s hard, and I love that you are so honest on your blog, and not just like “We cleaned, and then we left.” sugarcoating it, because that would be boring ;)

Good luck this next week…. keep us updated!!!

Heather     at 4:51 pm

Wow, what a day! I was exhausted for you as you retold the story. The cleaning is always the worst! I have to admit, you made me tear up talking about you crying as you left your place. I have so been there. It’s hard to leave a place where you have created a life and so many memories. But I hope you end up loving Seattle just as much as Old Towne. :)

Abby     at 4:53 pm

Hope you enjoy your time in CT! :)

Stephanie     at 4:53 pm

Holy crap I want to eat the screen! That chili mac looks incredible!

Melissa     at 4:54 pm

Safe Travels! Can’t wait to hear about your new adventure!

Sarah @ The Pajama Chef     at 4:57 pm

oh goodness. this is going to be me in a year. hope it all goes well!!

Tina     at 4:58 pm

You are at the stage where you need to just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Before you know it, that will take you all the way to a landing in Seattle. You will feel reborn and rejuvenated! Hang in there Sweetie, almost there!

Heather     at 5:10 pm

you are making me so sad!
I am so sorry about the movers. when we moved 2 months ago we had AWFUL mover issues we are still dealing with!
I am sure you will make new friends in no time!

Helena     at 5:11 pm

I don’t know exactly how you do it, but somehow I can always relate to what you’re writing :) Good luck with the move!

Meghan     at 5:14 pm

Beautiful post Emily! Thanks for sharing and GOOD LUCK!!

Alissa @ Still Unwritten     at 5:20 pm

I totally know how you felt when you left. Remember that there is an awesome life waiting for you on the other side of the country!

Chelsea Raynes     at 5:39 pm

Wow thats to much stress for you!! I hope its all downhill from here!

Kristi     at 5:45 pm

I hope the rest of your move goes a lot smoother than the beginning!

How incredibly frustrating!! You have such a good attitude about it, but I would have been super pissed if I had to deal with that. One of the reasons it’s good to move yourself, but having to do that in general is no fun, let alone pregnant!

Oh dear, glad you finally got to enjoy a relaxing dinner, sorry that it had to be so late!

Tara     at 5:57 pm

Good luck! New chapter in your life will prove to be a FABULOUS chapter, just wait and see! I am running MCM…I bet you are not going to be there?

CHEERS to you and Casey!

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.)     at 5:59 pm

I’m happy you showed us a picture of the outside of your house (although I completely understand why you wouldn’t when you were living there!). It’s so picturesque. I love it :)

Continue with your positive attitude… itll help everything move smoothly along. You have Casey, the pups & a wee little one growing inside you… and that’s all that matters.

Kath     at 6:07 pm

So sad!!!

Nicole     at 6:11 pm

Moving sucks. I dread the next time I will have to move.

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)     at 7:03 pm

That 11pm moving day dinner sounds excellent right now.

Kristen @ Chocolate Covered Kristen     at 7:07 pm

I hated leaving Alexandria, too… before I moved to Cali I lived on King St. pretty close to 395. I wanted to live in Old Town, but plans change. Safe travels!

And PS – I am from a military family and my mom’s trick for moving was feed the movers! If you feed them and give them cold drink your stuff will be packed nicely and arrive safely :-)

Aly     at 7:19 pm

Oh, Emily, that was so beautiful! Just think of all of them memories waiting to be made in Seattle! It’s gonna be GREAT!

Angela     at 7:34 pm

What a story that everyone can relate to! For a moment, I was back in the house my husband and I moved out of five years ago, filled with the same bittersweet feeling of moving on! Now, I can’t imagine having done anything any differently, but at the time, it was emotional. Change can be challenging and wonderful all at the same time.

Best of luck with your journey, and, as a Seattleite, we’re glad to have you — “and your little doggies too!” They are going to LOVE the parks here, especially Marymoor. It’s dog heaven!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas     at 7:50 pm

First of all – I would have been going nuts if the moving people pulled that stuff! I know you were stressed and anxious – but it seems you still kept your cool pretty well!

“I’m not leaving the memories or friends behind – I have packed them all deep inside of me, and plan to bring them out often and remember. And I can smile knowing that a tiny piece of my heart will always be found back here…”

That quote of yours is absolutely precious! It honestly brought a tear to my eye – it is so true – I’ve never moved across country – but I’ve been different places and had changes in my life – and I think this quote holds true to any change we experience – or any place we leave! :)

Happy travels!

Maryann     at 8:02 pm

Emily,
What a nightmare and consider it done. You did handle it well. Please rest. Have a fun shower and don’t be afraid to say help.
Believing for a good week.
Blessings,
Lancaster CO PA Gal

Lee     at 8:22 pm

Once again, I am thoroughly impressed with your writing and how beautifully you convey your emotions on the blog. Plus, I like the extreme hunger and rage picture.

Mama Pea     at 8:24 pm

Welcome to the PNW! It’s raining…

Katy (The Singing Runner)     at 8:31 pm

This definitely made me tear up! I know that great things are in store for you all in Seattle and you get to welcome your baby into the world! I can’t wait to continue to follow your journey! :)

Shannon     at 9:07 pm

I cannot tell you how much this whole experience has reminded me my life as a military wife. Every 4 years or so, I go through exactly what you are doing right now. The moving thing? It’s scary, but you get used to it. I almost told you to leave your mop out, and buy a new one when you get to Seattle, but I try to shy away from giving unsolicited advise, as I know how high your emotions must be running right now. And I have never even attempted a move while pregnant! Hats off to you chica. As an aside, we are leaving DC this summer too, and heading northwest… but a bit further. Anchorage. For three years. YEAH. So anyway, hang in there, and it will be fine.

Mindy     at 10:03 pm

Emily, this was a wonderful post – I was tearing up by the end! I can’t wait to see what this new adventure has in store for you, Casey, and Baby Garnish! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 10:15 pm

Such a heartfelt post – I absolutely loed it. I am so glad that you are feeling at peace with your moving. You are definitely a brave girl!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet     at 10:21 pm

This was such a touching post. I could feel almost every emotion your described, and it sounded just like my previous moves.

But I’m looking forward to reading about your adventures these next couple weeks, and so excited to seeing your life in Seattle!!!

Morgan @ Endorphaholic     at 10:34 pm

You’re attitude about the move is so inspiring! I am going to have to come back to these for an attitude re-check when I move in December. Congratulations on opening such an exciting new chapter of your lives!

Meagan     at 12:53 am

What a day! I am so sorry you had to go through waiting. That’s the worst! I hope tomorrow goes super well instead :) Don’t forget to pack some snacks for Casey’s trip or the plane!

sachi     at 2:22 am

Wow, I was just checking or blog for your cool recipes. And then… I see that you are moving , here, to Seattle! Welcome to Seattle!

Sachi Webb Reply:

Heh there,

It looks like you know about all the great vegan and vegetarian restaurants out here. My very young daughters love the Loving Hut on South Jackson, because it is all white and pink. It’s just another fun option, especially if you like Asian light noodles.

I was thinking about your big move as I was falling asleep. I was hoping for you, that when you move out here you’ll get to check out PEPs (they have a website and their home base is in Wallingford right near Freemont) and their new mom groups. I joined a group a few years ago and really loved getting to meet other new moms through the organization PEPs. I think that it is helpful to sign up a few months before your due date, as groups can take some time to be formed. There are also a bunch of really nice prenatal yoga classes in Seattle, full of the best pregnant mamma energy and so comforting… a great place to meet other people going through similar transitions.

Best of luck out here! And looking forward to your writing about your culinary & Seattle adventures! Let hope it is a gorgeous sunny summer in Seattle!

~ Sachi

Jess     at 6:27 am

Seriously Emily? Now I’m crying! Having moved around my whole life I can relate to how you are feeling and your post brought up lots of emotions. And a desire to go to DC ASAP! And Seattle…Now if only NZ wasn’t so far away!

olivewineandfood     at 8:32 am

aw this makes me sad. good luck on your next adventure!

Kim     at 8:35 am

I cant imagine knowing everything that needs to be done to move across country. I’ve loved reading your honest posts along the way. Good luck!!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 10:26 am

I think you just pegged the frustration and anxiety associated with moving perfectly! Good luck the next couple of weeks! I hope everything else goes smoothly!

Taylor     at 1:52 pm

Wow, this made my eyes well up. Very emotional. Life is tough, but I just got back from a trip out in the Pacific NW (Seattle and Vancouver) and I think you will settle in just fine.

Renee     at 3:51 pm

Best wishes on your move!

Mary     at 4:54 pm

I don’t comment much, but I read your blog almost every day. After just browsing around on the Curly Girl Design website, I found a card that instantly made me think of you and your current move. It reads:

“Home is where you heart is, even if you can’t remember which box you packed it in.”

Hope this note finds a smile on your face and the courage to face a tough move. Good luck in Seattle!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen     at 2:26 pm

Hey Emily! I know you probably won’t see this for awhile with your big move (good luck!) but would you mind telling me where you got those awesome kitchen shelves? They’re exactly what I’ve been looking for since my kitchen is freakishly small!

Sara @BakingandWine     at 9:52 pm

1) They chili mac looks SO delicious.

2) I can’t believe the movers were like that! When we were getting ready to PCS I heard all sorts of horror stories then was so pleasantly surprised that our movers were kick ass. That really sucks that you had such a bad experience! I hope you call the office and tell them they need to work on their communication! Thank goodness it’s all done, for now. Moving IN is a whole other ball game, ha. Good luck on your trip and I hope your sister had a kick ass baby shower!