For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Pregnancy Cravings & Vegetarianism.

There are a few common things that most everyone associates with pregnancy.  Among them are things like morning sickness, stretch marks, fatigue, and of course – cravings.

I don’t know that I’ve experienced any real “cravings” so far, but there have definitely been times where something sounded good, and suddenly it was the only thing I wanted.  Maybe that’s a craving, maybe that’s just a very limited appetite – I’m not sure.  But either way, one thing is definitely for sure – my appetite and diet has changed drastically in the last 13 weeks, and I’ve found myself eating things that would never normally be a part of my weekly grocery trips.

Most of what I have been wanting has been carbs and citrus, and I’ve tried my best to get those in the most healthy way possible.  Pregnancy “cravings” are so typically associated with un-healthy things like fast food, entire gallons of ice cream in one sitting, and packaged junk, and I think because I don’t regularly eat any of that, my body doesn’t crave what it isn’t use to having.  That said, Casey and I were taking a nice walk the other night – one of the first spring nights where it was still warm in the evening, and you could tell families and friends were all gathering outside for dinners in the yard or drinks on porches.

I have mentioned before that my sense of smell is ridiculously keen these days, and as we walked and talked, I couldn’t get past the delicious smell of backyard barbecues and summer grill-outs.  Suddenly I reaaaaaaally wanted a burger and fries.  It was all I could think about as we continued our walk, and smells of nearby grills continued to fill the air.

And so we changed our route home so that my adoring husband could run into Safeway and grab a big bag of potatoes and a new bottle of ketchup so that my perfect springtime meal could be a reality.

IMG_8704

I have heard and read many stories about pregnant women suddenly being overcome with cravings for things like McDonald’s or Steak N Shake.  I don’t personally believe that a craving is a medical necessity to eat or have something, but rather a strong want or desire.  Sometimes it is okay to fill those wants, and other times I find that they can be satisfied just as well with a little extra effort to do things your own way.

Delicious oven-roasted yukon gold potatoes.  Still starchy and full of carbs, but so much better for both me and my baby than jumbo fries from the drive through.

And I assure you this veggie burger was far better than anything I would have gotten outside of my house – complete with organic swiss cheese, pickle slices, a sesame seed bun, and ketchup and mustard to finish!

And of course, a few extra pickles on the side.  I guess what I’m saying is that while of course it’s okay to treat yourself here and there, it is not okay to use pregnancy as an excuse to throw nutrition out the window.  In fact, this is the time to make sure you are eating your best!  After all, you are truly eating for two.

I’ve been somewhat surprised by how many times I’ve been asked if I plan to remain a vegetarian throughout the duration of my pregnancy.  For me, eating a vegetarian diet is about so much more than food – it’s about health, ethics, and the environment.  If anything, being pregnant has strengthened my resolve to try to make choices that make a difference.  And while I will allow my children make their own choices about vegetarianism (once they are of age to do so), I will hope that my example of health and compassion will be one that leads them down the same path.

Just as families grow and change, I expect that in the coming years my values and ideas about food and health with grow and change as well.  The one thing I know will be a constant is that I will try to be a healthy role model for my children – both before and after they are born.

C     at 11:55 am

Vegetarianism is not the only way to show your concern for your “health, ethics, and the environment.” I think its a bit convoluted to say this when a lot of the food you prepare, although vegetarian, comes from a package (your vegetables included) and processed (cereal grains, flours, etc). I can play the vegan marathoner card (ran 4 marys as a vegan, 2 as a vegetarian) and I’ll attest to the benefits I thought I reaped. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with vegetarianism, but there is a growing movement of people who value animal well-being: pasturing them on on natural, non-grain diets, for one. I don’t know, this is a vegetarian blog… but you lost the weight because you adapted healthier habits, not just because you became vegetarian.

Bobby @ boymeetscake     at 12:33 pm

While perusing yahoo! this morning, I read that Natalie Portman (one of the more prominent vegan-ites) gave up veganism during her pregnancy due to the intense cravings.

Tameika     at 3:12 pm

Good for you Emily! I am so enjoying following your pregnancy. Such great insightful and informative posts. I mean they always are! But these speak to me more. I guess because my husband and I are beginning to think about starting a family ourselves. And I’m thinking of how to make it a healthy pregnancy when the time comes. Thanks again!

marie     at 4:41 pm

Good for you! I had a hard time my first pregnancy keeping away from fast food by the time I had the second I was able to cook more of these kind of foods at home and was happy to know that I was feeding my baby healthier foods. Thanks for sharing all your pregnancy ups and downs its fun and informative to read!

Erin     at 7:17 pm

I think soon you’ll see (if you haven’t already) that anytime you post something about what is right for you that people will be offended because what is right for them is different. Something about the “cult of motherhood” and feeling judged for any and all decisions you are making… From my experience I ate very differently when I was pregnant with my kids and I gained exactly the same amount of weight (despite extreme, requiring medication morning sickness with the second). Everyone does what works for them! So glad you’re figuring that out!

So true! Pregnancy is such an individual experience, and I hope to be able to just show my journey through it all. If I have learned anything so far from pregnancy, it’s that you truly can NOT judge anyone else’s choices or decisions – we all feel and experience things so differently! I have heard this only gets worse when you have a newborn… We’ll see! :)

Monica     at 10:07 pm

Wow, this is such a great post. So many things I needed to be reminded of. ;)

Gabrielle     at 5:57 pm

Kudos to you for sticking to your convictions!

Haley     at 9:46 pm

It’s great that your continuing to stress & encourage maintaining a healthy lifestyle during pregnancy. It’s difficult at times in my job at the OB/GYN to watch patients throw all sensible eating & exercise habits out the window. In the same breath, a patient will moan & groan about the exponentially increasing number on the scale and then turn around and tell me that they’ve downed almost an entire cake the night before! It is possible to suppress pregnancy cravings and the more women do suppress them, they happier they’ll be after that baby comes!

What I'm Eating at 21 Weeks Pregnant | Being Pregnant     at 3:37 pm

[…] a pregnant vegetarian, one common concern is typically protein intake, but I don’t seem to be having any trouble […]

Eat Veggies Now...Your Kids Might Prefer Them Later | Being Pregnant     at 7:52 pm

[…] As a vegetarian, I already eat plenty of vegetables, greens, and grains.  But after reading this article I feel even more compelled to make sure I’m eating a good variety of foods and flavors.  Who knows, maybe if I eat enough beets and quinoa I’ll end up with a few more foodies under my roof! […]

Choosing a Pediatrician - What Should I Look For? | Being Pregnant     at 12:58 pm

[…] sure we find doctors who are supportive of our vegetarian lifestyle.  Since we are choosing to raise our children as vegetarians as well, we need to make sure that our pediatrician will be supportive of our decision.  Hopefully since […]

Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com)     at 11:40 am

Too funny–> I’m about 9 weeks pregnant and I was totally craving McDonalds the other day (which would normally gross me out and I haven’t eaten there in YEARS), but instead of giving in and buying a big mac+fries, we made organic grassfed burgers and homemade baked fries at home. Totally ‘fixed’ the craving and I didn’t feel gross for eating it!

I’m sure I will give in to cravings every now and then over the next 7 months, but not every day or every single ‘bad’ craving that comes along. Everything within reason/moderation.

running shoes