Week 13: My Pregnancy Journey.

Baby G has had a big week!  After finding out yesterday that HE is most likely a BOY (!) we were in celebration mode all day long.  I would be lying if I told you I did anything other than shop for nursery furniture and crib bedding online all afternoon…

How Big is the Baby?

It’s funny to think of him as fruit now that we know there is a little guy in there, but as big and manly as he sounds, he’s still only the size of a peach!

Busted – that’s a nectarine.  All of these out-of-season produce comparisons are testing my most savvy grocery shopping skills!

How I’m Changing

Saturday morning was the first time I woke up and felt like I really truly looked different.  Maybe it’s because I was making a poor choice of wearing horizontal stripes, but I felt like my belly was bulging out and looked gigantic.

There is definitely some bump-age happening.  Nothing so significant that I would expect anyone else to notice, but my pants (and underwear!) are becoming less and less comfortable.  Maternity clothes shopping happens this weekend!

Other changes of note: zits.  Everywhere.  I might as well be on 16 and Pregnant because I am certainly looking the part.  Oh, and my nails are hard as ROCKS.  I already had really healthy solid nails pre-pregnancy, so now they are as hard as concrete.  I’m scared of them.

What I’m Eating

I am happy to report that there have been no more puke-a-thons since last week’s update.  There has been nausea, but I can manage that.  I wouldn’t say my appetite is even close to being back, but I’m finding I can stomach a few new things here and there.  I’m eating a LOT of fruit – mostly strawberries and oranges – and downing ice cold cereal by the bowlful.

This week I was feeling so excited about dinner that I spent a full hour making a huge mess in my kitchen to make a delicious homemade meal!  It felt good to be whisking again.  :)

Only one thing could be worth dirtying four pans and a stand mixer for dinner – homemade mashed potatoes with vegan gravy and green beans.  Oh my word.

I could not have been more excited about this dinner, and I am feeling sad just looking at the pictures and knowing that I already ate all the leftovers.  I think I could eat that gravy by itself – it’s that good.  I want more.

On the eating front, I have noticed that I get reaaaaally full much more quickly than I used to.  My pre-pregnant self could shovel in food by the plate full, and now I find myself taking tiny portions that I would have laughed at before.  I don’t seem to have the ROOM in my belly that I had before, which leaves me hungry again 30 minutes after dinner.

How I’m Feeling

Feeling good this week!  I have a little more energy and motivation than last week, which has allowed me to be much more productive recently.  I still find that I am out of breath VERY quickly, and have to stop and rest a lot more than usual.

The only other thing that happened at our visit yesterday, that I forgot to tell you about since I was so excited about hearing the BOY news, was one little blip of possibly worrisome information.  Apparently my placenta (I can’t believe I’m writing about placenta) is “low” – which can result in a condition called placenta previa if it doesn’t move up significantly in the next 27 or so weeks.

At the time I was so happy about our ultrasound that this didn’t really phase me.  And then this morning I got on Google and started scaring myself to death – reading about the possibilities of bed rest, bleeding to death, and hysterectomies during delivery.  I might have done some panicking, and there may have been some crying.  I got it out of my system, and I’m going to try to not worry about it until the 20-week appointment, where I will hope and pray to hear that it has migrated north.

The other exciting news is that I am back at the gym and exercising again!  I have been lifting weights and doing cardio all week, and have promised myself to take at least an hour long walk every day.  I think walking is great exercise anytime, but especially during pregnancy.

After this morning’s research on the placenta issue, I think I’ve decided to continue to hold off on running for now.  I might change my mind down the road, but for right now, it feels risky and unnecessary.  I love running, and I plan to do a LOT more of it once my body is ready again.  But for now, me and Baby G are going to stick to the low-impact cardio options while we safely journey to October.

Buying for Baby

This little man is so spoiled already!  I have actually not bought anything (besides his little cardigan!), but he is already very loved by friends and family, and got not one but TWO adorable gifts this week.  The first came from Florida from my friend Mary Ann – a handmade Baby Garnish logo onesie.  Seriously – could this be ANY cuter??  I can’t wait for him to wear it!

Gift number two came from Lisa, and my jaw literally dropped when I saw it…

“Star of Mommy’s Blog” – can you believe they MAKE this?  Indy wanted to make sure that we knew who the real star of the blog was…

At least until October!  What a ham.  Rumor has it that my mother-in-law also has the entire baby boy lineup from Baby Gap en route to her house in Indiana.  He is very well loved, and we are so grateful!

That’s all for this week!  I’m in the process of finding a new doctor and hospital in Seattle so I can get my next appointment scheduled quickly.  So much to do before we move!

Here is a list of links to the previous pregnancy posts and weekly updates…

Weekly Updates:

Pregnancy Posts:

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing     at 1:40 pm

This was so much fun to read. You look absolutely GLOWING Emily :) Sending lots of prayers your way as your body figures out the placenta thang (can’t believe I just wrote that, either) ;) I am sure all will be well. <3

Kaitlin     at 1:40 pm

Love these posts! So happy to hear things are going well. Regarding the placenta issue– remember that things change and you still have a long while to go! Hopefully you’ll be able to keep peace of mind about it.

Especially when you have a nursery to decorate! :)

Hannah     at 1:40 pm

I love reading about your journey! It makes me disappointed that mine is probably several years off.

Isn’t the nail strengthening probably from the prenatal vitamins? You should watch out for you hair, too — it will probably grow like a weed! (A pretty weed) ;)

Mimi     at 1:40 pm

I look forward to these posts every week!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 1:41 pm

Wow, if you are already feeling full after a small portion, just WAIT until that baby gets bigger! :-) It’s fun reading about your progress–thanks for sharing your journey.

Freya     at 1:41 pm

Those gifts are PRECIOUS!! Where do they find stuff that’s so suited to a blogger!? Amazing!
& I can’t believe the size change in fruit between this week and last – so cool!
I’m glad you’re feeling a bit better :) (bar the placenta issue, maybe better not to read about it!? Ignorance is bliss :p)

brooke     at 1:41 pm

i just found your blog and LOVE it. Congrats on your peach! :)

Welcome, welcome! Glad you are here. :)

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner)     at 1:42 pm

Wow a BOY!! Hard to imagine he’s only that small! I’m SO excited for you- can’t wait till October! :D

I’ll pray for you, and I’m sure you’ll be fine placenta-wise :)

RhodeyGirl     at 1:42 pm

Yay for all of this exciting news!

I LOVE Dr. Google but I’ve been banned from it for over-googling. If your doctor didn’t say to worry, then don’t worry just yet! :)

Have fun maternity shopping! I’m doing the same thing this weekend!

Jenna (Hello, I Love You)     at 1:42 pm

You look fantastic Emily! That Daily Garnish onesie is too cute!

Lauren     at 1:43 pm

I really love reading these posts! That onesie is adorable and so is the bib…I bet five years ago Circo was definitely not making bibs that said that on them!

Dee     at 1:43 pm

i love these posts! <3

Stephanie @ LiveCookLove     at 1:43 pm

It’s so crazy to see the ultrasound pictures yesterday and then a fruit today! HA! You look great! Have fun shopping this weekend!

Kath     at 1:44 pm

Mara @ What's For Dinner?     at 1:46 pm

LOVE the baby gifts! You look adorable :)

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 1:47 pm

Oh, look at that cute little baby bump :) Love the little onesie…how cute is that!?

Felicia (a taste of health with balance)     at 1:48 pm

i love reading about your journey, i get so excited when you post updates! and don’t stress yourself over the placenta, stress is the last thing your body needs right now! you still have a way to go and the body is always changing :) you are glowing! love it!

Lisa     at 1:48 pm

I had a low-lying placenta with both of my girls. It is a nuisance but it moved both times. Sometimes there would be a brownish discharge but it was from the placenta rubbing. If it happens, just call your doctor to be sure. And congrats to all of you :)

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 1:49 pm

Tell your MIL to keep the clothing receipts JUST in case. I’ve heard of a few girls that turned into boys and boys that have turned into girls ;)

Don’t stress too much about your low placenta. The majority of those cases correct themselves. A good friend of mine had it and by her next appointment, it was gone!

Love your updates! And may I recommend GAP and Old Navy maternity? GAP jeans (a bit pricy) are amazing! I can’t believe I waited so long before switching over to maternity clothes- SO much more comfortable.

MA* Reply:

I was a “boy” who turned out to be a girl. :) Holla for the BG onesie!

Also, I may have spent my lunch break shopping at Target and Liz Lange has a few cute things!

Yeah I am not totally convinced on the boy thing until we get more definitive info towards 20 weeks. I want to know what youuuuuuuu are having!!! :) Heading to Old Navy this weekend – I can’t wait.

Aimee Reply:

i just saw this post on another blog i read and thought of you… they have some beautiful stuff and one piece would not be too difficult to move to seattle ;) (i think the deal’s $30 off one thing).

Abby     at 1:49 pm

The bib and onesie are too cute! :) you look great!

Colleen     at 1:51 pm

Hi Emily,
I’m sorry to hear about the possible previa. My sister and friend both had it with their 1st pregnancies and neither of them needed hysterectomies. They just needed some bed rest toward the end of the pregnancy. A lot of the medical information sounds scary, but as long as you listen to your doctor’s guidance, you’ll be fine :) Relax and enjoy the pregnancy! I’m so excited for you guys. The onesie is adorable.

Thanks Colleen!

Cindy @ The Flipping Couple     at 1:51 pm

My friend had a low-lying placenta as well (at her 20 week ultrasound) but a 34 week ultrasound shows her now at 13 centimeters (you only need 3 to be safe). So you have plenty of time for some placenta migration. : ) Hope everything works out well but I bet you have nothing to worry about.

Taylor Rae     at 1:52 pm

CONGRATS!!! This is incredibly silly… But do you eat the fruit/food that you use to compare the baby (BOY!!) too?? I think I would feel rather odd eating it. Hehe…Random thoughts I think about when running!! :)

Haha actually I feel TOTALLY weird eating the fruit afterwards. :) Casey ate a nectarine yesterday and I called him a cannibal.

Amy     at 1:52 pm

He’s growing steadily– a peach this week (just a few weeks ago his size was compared to a grape! Babies are amazing!) So glad you are feeling better this week– you look beautiful :)

Amanda     at 1:53 pm

placenta prevera is relatively harmless. one of my good friends, her sister in law had it and everything turned out fine. no worries that you should be worried about. keep happy and keep celebrating!! :)

Kristen     at 1:53 pm

Like I said on twitter this weekend, welcome to week 13! Seriously, my bump has really started showing (more to me than anyone else) and it’s not the “bloated bump” I had when I first found out I was pregnant! So excited for you and your little baby boy! And so glad to hear you are feeling better!

Agreed – I’m definitely past bloated and moving into “bump” territory! :)

Chelsea Raynes     at 1:54 pm

How exciting! Except for the placenta previa part, I think you are probably doing the right thing taking it easy and not running till you learn more. I think if I were you I would be running along imagining my placenta falling out. It is scary, but I actually don’t know anything about it. Loving that bib! I think I see a little tiny baby bump and it is so cute!!!

Seriously – that is how I feel. Lots of weird abdomen pressure!

Katy (The Singing Runner)     at 1:54 pm

Awww I love that bib and onesie! SUPER cute! :D

Glad to hear you are feeling better! I love these updates!

What sweet presents! And how exciting that the sweet baby boy is the size of a “peach.” ;)

Lisa     at 1:57 pm

I can’t wait to see your handsome boy in that bib–I have to run to Target and grab one for me! You look amazing and I know that your placenta will work itself back into a good position (yup, really never thought I’d type those words). Keep growing big and strong, Baby G, the French family (including Baby Girl) can’t wait to meet you!

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey     at 1:58 pm

What a peach! :)
And those baby gifts are so cute, and perfect for Baby G.

I completely relate to your freak-out on the placenta issue… the Internet can be a wonderful resource, and also a very, scary place. Sometimes, you just have to STOP looking something up. Everyone has a horror story about EVERYTHING. I had some health issues myself earlier this year, and I had to ban the Internet. Bad, bad Internet. It had me all worked up over things, unnecessarily.

I think you are absolutely doing the right thing by letting go of the worry for now, until your next appointment. :)

~

Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique     at 2:01 pm

The onesie and the bib are adorable! I’m glad to hear you are doing better on the food intake. Can’t wait to hear more! :)

Alaina     at 2:02 pm

I truly love reading this updates. All of those baby clothes are so cute! I tear up sometimes when I see itty bitty sneakers. But it’ll not be for another 3 years until we buy those. ;-)

Can totally see the little baby bump. Too cute.

Sarah     at 2:03 pm

Oh, my gosh!
One, I have been CRAVING mashed potatoes and am so pleased that you posted that recipe. I do believe it’s going to need to go on my menu for next week.
Also, I’m just shy of 11 weeks pregnant, and already my mother just could not wait to go baby shopping. I have that bib, too! I just couldn’t resist:-).

Congrats to YOU! Definitely make the potatoes – trust me. :)

miranda @ working mom works out     at 2:04 pm

Yay! You look wonderful. I had the pregnancy acne too. But my hair and nails never looked better.

Megan Crane     at 2:05 pm

I absolutely LOVE reading your updates!

Kelly     at 2:07 pm

My friend had the same placenta problem and it corrected itself in a few weeks.. she actually just ran an 8k race this past weekend and is 28weeks pregnant! Isn’t that amazing??

That IS amazing! I know a lot of pregnant people run throughout, but for me it just isn’t comfortable. It makes me feel crampy and lots of pressure, which then just makes me anxious. I’m all about weights and walking!

Kelly Reply:

Me too :) Anything more than a power walk w/my dog and I want to puke!

alison     at 2:07 pm

I love your pregnancy updates! I had a low lying placenta when I was pregnant, but it moved and I had an uncomplicated birth.

Best wishes!

Ann Dunaway Teh     at 2:12 pm

Congrats on knowing it’s a boy! I have a 2 year old boy and it is the best! I was worried at first only being raised with sisters and not knowing what to do with a boy but I figured it out, with the help of my husband.

About your placenta levels – ask your doctor about taking a daily baby aspirin. According to my perinatologist, new research has shown this keeps placenta levels up and what we will be doing with #2 because I had those issues at the end of my pregnancy. But all turned out fine as I’m sure yours will. Talk to your doctor though!

That is my worry too – all sisters and NO clue about boys! Casey is definitely in charge of potty training. :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 2:13 pm

You’re adorable! I love that purple dress. Glad you’re feeling better :-)

MaryBe@AccidentallyVegan     at 2:15 pm

That bib actually made me LOL!
You look so amazing! Is Casey having any cravings? ;)

Jennifer Malone     at 2:15 pm

My best friend (who lives in Japan) recent doc visit for her pregnancy came back the same result: low placenta. She is currently on pelvic rest.

Amanda     at 2:17 pm

I LOVE these posts! Congratulations on the (80%) BABY BOY news! How exciting!

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me     at 2:20 pm

Good luck! I hope everything turns out fine. Yay for a baby boy.

Melissa     at 2:23 pm

Did you see the NYTimes piece that just came out in strong support of moderate exercise while pregnant? It’s some good stuff and will be like a pat-on-the-back for you: http://goo.gl/07z8c

Congrats, again.

Just read it! I feel so much better when I am active.

Melissa     at 2:24 pm

Honestly, I’m not a baby fan. The whole idea of pregnancy freaks me out. However, you write so well and of course I just love your blog, so I’m so excited to continue this journey with you! I can’t wait to see the little guy!

Pregnancy freaks ME out too! I am learning right along with everyone else. :) Glad you are still enjoying it!

Anne     at 2:26 pm

Emily!! You look so CUTE!!!

I had placenta previa with my firstborn (who is 6 now.) It was scary at the time, because I didn’t know what to expect, but in the grand scheme of things it was a minor condition, especially compared to other things. I ended up having a c-section, but bounced back quickly, and was even able to deliver my second child (who is 4) via VBAC. Keep us posted, and try not to worry about it too much! There is a very good chance that the placenta will move up – it’s still really early! :)
*big hugs*

Tara     at 2:29 pm

How’s this for a gross placenta story: I had a Japanese client who was making face serum and lip balms out of horse placenta. It was sterilized or whatever – but women were putting this on their LIPS. Gross. I did try the face serum (because I had to try at least one thing) and it did make my skin look awesome. But no – absolutely not going to make that a regular thing.

Congrats on the baby boy news!! So exciting. :)

Katie KS Reply:

Made me think of premarin, which is a common cream prescription for nursing women who have, um, “dryness” issues post giving birth. It’s made from pregnant mare urine. pre-ma-rin. The things you learn related to childbirth that you could have gone without knowing forever … :)

ICK. It’s amazing what they put in beauty products – scary.

Cole     at 2:32 pm

I love reading about your journey every week. Can’t hardly believe he’s already the size of a PEACH!! Lots of luck, and look forward to reading more.

Check out my blog if you ever have sometime:

i LOVE new followers.

Ashley L     at 2:33 pm

I love reading all of this. Cried when I read about your last post. I’m too young for children but I’m having baby envy. Also having moving envy!

Haha I have envy for those who are NOT moving! I’m so tired of boxes!

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 2:38 pm

Yay, how exciting! Don’t worry about the placenta stuff and stay off the google!

Whitney     at 2:39 pm

I seriously ENJOY reading your pregnancy updates and I’m nowhere near being ready for that stage (getting married in 2 months), but I sure am learning a lot through your posts! Thanks for that! Love the teeny baby clothes.. melts my heart :)

Carly     at 2:40 pm

My sister in-law had the same “low placenta” problem after 2 miscarriages. Needless to say she was of course nervous. I’m happy to say she delivered a perfect, healthy baby girl on March 12!

P.S. I love how happy you look in every pregnancy pictures. You will be a fantastic mother :)

Heather     at 2:49 pm

That is so exciting! So happy for you! As far as the breakouts go, I’m in esthetics school and we talked about pregnancy skin the other day. The baby is taking all your moisture so if you switch to a cream cleanser and moisturizer for dry skin it should help. Good Luck, I hate breakouts!

Awesome – I will try that! Thanks!

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 2:51 pm

Don’t worry until your doc tells you to worry. Dr. Google and I have a love/hate relationship.

I think you’re deciding to do what’s right for you. Running isn’t everything, but your baby is!

Nobody can deny what a great writer you are (which is what drew me to this blog about 6 months ago) and a great chef, too. You don’t need to keep running to validate yourself, because you (and the baby) are obviously already very loved already.

Thank you, and you are so right. I realize I have nothing to prove, even if some people are sad that I am not running. I will prove them wrong AFTER the baby is born! :)

Emily E.     at 2:57 pm

I wouldn’t worry too much about the placenta… Almost everyone has a low placenta at 13 weeks. 99.9% of the time this moves far away from the cervix within a few months!

Stacey     at 2:59 pm

Yay! A peach :) I’m so glad you had a good appointment…I have to admit that when you first said “Pregnancy Surprise” I thought you’d be announcing that you found out you were having twins or something! Lol :) I hope your placenta moves (I feel weird writing that) but it sounds like BG is a healthy, growing baby!

I’m glad that you have the strength to exercise again :) :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble)     at 3:01 pm

I totally look forward to these posts every week. I haven’t even been married a year and I am waaaay not ready for a baby yet… but I love reading it! So excited for you :)

Cait @ Beyond Bananas     at 3:05 pm

I’ve loved reading your pregnancy posts weekly! It is great to hear all of the changes that you are experiencing! Glad you are not feeling quite so sick anymore!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 3:08 pm

I now officially want, nay – NEED, a FFF onesie and one of those bibs. How frickin’ awesome!

Kat     at 3:09 pm

If you haven’t already picked out a doctor/hospital, I’d love to recommend Heather Parr at the Ballard campus of Swedish hospital. I haven’t had any children, but I see her for all of my ob-gyn needs (there are many) and she’s actually a midwife. She’s the nicest person in the world, very knowledgeable and caring and very open/respectful of varying lifestyles and medical choices (recently she recommended acupuncture for my PMS!) So maybe add her to your list of places to check out. Good luck in your search!!

How weird – when I read this I had just scheduled an appointment there! One of Casey’s co-workers had the Swedish midwives deliver her baby, and she recommended them to me. THANKS!

Gina     at 3:12 pm

Cutest onesie!

ashley     at 3:16 pm

placenta previa? not to worry… a majority of women have this condition early on in their pregnancies. as your baby boy (congrats) grows, and subsequently your uterus, the placenta will most likely migrate north. i was also diagnosed with PlaPre when preggers wtih my twins. i rushed home to google it, freaked myself out, and a few weeks later, it was a non-issue.

loving the blog, loving all of it!

Kris     at 3:20 pm

On your shopping expedition you might want to invest in a belly band. That will give you some expansion in your current jeans, pants, etc. You will be way tired of maternity clothes by the end of your pregnancy, so you might want to pick up a few things for more comfort, but hold off on much of a wardrobe change right now. You look great!

I grabbed one today at Target! :) Thanks!

Katie KS Reply:

I was in maternity clothes at 12-13 weeks both times. I have a belly band but found it constricting. I used it like weeks 10-12. I hate having stuff tight around my stomach though – could just be me. I only buy the lower waist maternity stuff. The over belly stuff I’ve borrowed I have to fold down. I can’t stand having my pants go up to my bra!! I recommend Kohl’s, Old Navy, JCP, Motherhood and Target. If you can borrow anything, it’s even better, but might be tough with your move!

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy)     at 3:25 pm

I am really enjoying reading about your journey. You look amazing and I’m glad you are able to eat a wider range of foods now. Cute bump!

Ellen     at 3:25 pm

Congrats! You’re going to feel great during the 2nd trimester. That was my favorite phase. The vegan gravy looks delish.

Mai     at 3:27 pm

How exciting! I really enjoy reading about your pregnancy journey!

Jacki     at 3:27 pm

I haven’t been reading what everybody else is saying about the placenta, but I was told by my midwife that it is very common for the placenta to sit low in the beginning of pregnancy and move up throughout the pregnancy, so definitely NOTHING to worry about at this point.

Katelyn     at 3:28 pm

You look great, please try to not freak out too much about your placenta…our bodies work in wonderful ways, a lot can happen. Even if it does not move up, an encouraging story: a good friend of mine just had a wonderfully healthy baby (but by C-section) with no complications, and she’ll be able to have more babes.

Jayna @ Healthy Living Bites     at 3:33 pm

Awww, Baby Garnish is so cute (and I adore the onesie!)

So glad you are STARTING to feel better. . . hope it continues. Also, I agree, don’t worry too much about the placenta- there is lots of time and lots of flipping around that will occur in there!

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 4:11 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Those gifts are the cutest baby gifts ever EVER!! I love it! :D

Angela     at 4:14 pm

Wow that little guy is growing fast!

You’ll have to remember all these fruits and have a celebratory fruit salad when he arrives!

Stephanie     at 4:14 pm

Just read this and thought of you: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/13/exercising-for-two/?ref=health

“Now, new research suggests that the bond may be stronger than had been suspected. When you exercise during pregnancy, your baby is not, as most of us would have thought, a passive, floating passenger (and ballast on the bladder). Instead, he or she may be actively joining in the workout, with the fetal cardiac system growing stronger and healthier as a result of the workouts.”

I am determined to continue to be a fit and healthy pregnant lady! :)

ashley     at 4:19 pm

Im 29 weeks pregnant and had a low placenta up until week 25…so i definitely would not worry about it!

Lauren     at 4:26 pm

I can’t believe that bib! What a great find/gift!

lauren     at 4:31 pm

Just wanted to comment and say that I am loving reading about your pregnancy and am excited to watch you through this process. I’m gay and am in a committed relationship, but it’ll be a long time (and a lot of planning and money!) before I’m experiencing what you are now. I’m living vicariously through your blog and it’s fun :)

stay well and be healthy.

Thanks Lauren! :)

Beth     at 4:54 pm

I am so excited for you guys! You are so lucky you got to find out the sex so early and can really start to plan! We had our second doctors apptn today and it was so amazing to see how much baby is moving at 10 weeks. Love it :)

There are great doctors around here, you’ll find a good one. I would recommend ours, but their office is either in Bellevue or Issaquah.

Ahhh we HAVE to meet up when I get out there so we can do some baby talk! :) So glad you got to see the baby moving around – it’s amazing.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 5:06 pm

Oh baby G is getting so big! Don’t get too freaked out, but definitely be educated. I’m glad you’re feeling better! I am making mashed potatoes tonight to put on a veggie shepherd’s pie. Now I want gravy! Have a great night Emily!

Make the gravy – it is SO good!

Elizabeth @ RunWithSneakers     at 5:17 pm

SO glad you’re feeling good again. I loved both my pregnancies — the puke-times didn’t last long for me. I remember how those prenatal vitamins made my usually thin/weak nails strong and hard. And my hair was never better.

Shari     at 5:29 pm

I am so enjoying following along with your posts every week. Thanks for sharing the journey with all of us. Sending many good thoughts to you and the little guy for a continued happy and healthy pregnancy!

Nicole     at 5:49 pm

You’ve probably already seen this study, since you’re so proactive about research but I thought I’d share all the same.

“When you exercise during pregnancy, your baby is not, as most of us would have thought, a passive, floating passenger (and ballast on the bladder). Instead, he or she may be actively joining in the workout, with the fetal cardiac system growing stronger and healthier as a result of the workouts. Babies born to mothers who exercised while pregnant were found to have healthier hearts than other infants a full month after delivery.”

Here’s a link to the article: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/13/exercising-for-two/?ref=health

Awesome! I hadn’t seen that yet actually. I feel really strongly about exercising while pregnant – both for me AND the baby! I’m learning though that I have to readjust my levels and exercise goals, as my body is so different now than it was before!

Ashley     at 6:15 pm

Emily!! I can tell how excited you are throughout this whole post!! Your face is beaming. I couldn’t be happier for you + Casey. I’ve never heard of a woman going through pregnancy without at least one scary piece of news. Also, I’ve learned googling medical things is the worst thing you could ever do…but it’s so hard not to! So many unnecessary panic attacks! haha

Ida     at 6:25 pm

Love these posts! I can really feel your excitement. And such cute baby gifts

Michelle {the lively kitchen}     at 6:25 pm

I had a low lying placenta with both pregnancies and both times it moved by 34 weeks. I too consulted Dr. Google and called my mom in tears after my first ultrasound with a low-lying placenta. The second pregnancy I was much more calm about it. :)

Jo @ Jo In the Kitchen     at 6:45 pm

That onesie is adorable! lol, maybe your friend could market those :)

Amykinz @ Foodie4Healing     at 6:46 pm

Can I first just say that you are the most adorable thing ever?! :)

I had major zit-age issues in the beginning of my pregnancy, but for me, it tamed down near the 2nd trimester (which you’re not too far off from!)

What’s so funny is that with my DD, I craved fruit & milk! And with this one, it’s been grilled cheese sandwiches & mashed potatoes! All of which you featured in today’s post. Haha! Oh, and I am totally with you on not being able to eat big quantities anymore. There quite literally is just no room! :)

Something I learned the hardway: When you’re pregnant, the internet is the devil! Seriously, I freaked myself out so many times, for no reason, because I researched my “symptoms” on the internet. DON’T DO IT!!!

Lastly, that onesie is just about the cutest darn thing I’ve ever seen!

Kimliveshealthy     at 6:52 pm

So happy to read about Baby G and your journey :) And that bib is way too precious! Walking an hour a day is more exercise than I get and I’m not pregnant – way to go! Sending many positive wishes your way =)

Dorry     at 7:09 pm

Congratulations on the baby BOY! I love reading your updates…makes me excited for my future road to parenthood. You look beautiful cooking in purple! I have friends who said the acne was bad in the beginning, but got better as the pregnancy progressed. You are so beautiful inside and out regardless of a little blemish. :)

This is why I love you, Dorry!

Heather     at 7:21 pm

Okay, that bib is the coolest thing I have ever seen! I have GOT to get one of those! I just recently found your blog and love reading your updates. I too am a vegetarian pregnant with her first child – a boy as well! So excited and nervous, but mostly excited. :) That vegan gravy looks to die for, by the way. Since you are moving to Seattle, wanna come over and cook for me? hehee

So happy you found the blog – we have so much in common!! Are you living in Seattle too? Maybe our boys can have play dates. :)

Heather Reply:

Yes, I live in Seattle now, but get this – I moved back here after living in Maryland for a year (and then Connecticut for a year after that) and my husband used to work in Virginia. Definitely a lot in common! I would love to have our boys meet each other, haha. :) Let me know when you get into town and maybe we can do lunch!

Heather     at 7:35 pm

I’ve been reading your blog for awhile but I don’t comment often and I feel like it’s about time I say CONGRATULATIONS!!! It’s so exciting that you’re having a boy! May you have a safe and happy pregnancy :)

Thanks Heather!

kelli     at 7:37 pm

ughh i LOVE land of nod furniture!!!!! I am sure you do too :) If only I was married and pregnant alas i’m only 22..

Ummm YES, Land of Nod was where ALL the shopping was happening. It is so freaking expensive, but soooo gorgeous!!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]     at 7:39 pm

No more worrying allowed. Ya got that? ;) Baby G is going to arrive as healthy as can be… and I know you’ll be A-OK too!!

Sharon     at 7:43 pm

I was a placenta previa baby. When I was born (37 years ago)not as much was known about this conditon. I was born late at night and because this was a unique situation there was a little confusion in the delivery room. So for the first 8 years of my life we celebrated my birthday on the 29th of July when it was really the 28th of July. When my birth certificate came, my Mom shoved it in a box since our family was packing to move from Cincinnatti to Texas. It was not until I was signed up for little league softball and they needed a birth certificate that my family realized the error. My Mom actually wrote the hospital (I think it was Our Lady of Mercy in Cincy) and told them there was an error. They wrote her back and said no, there wasn’t. To this day my brothers still get a kick out of calling me on the wrong day to say happy birthday. :-))

That is crazy – what a story! Glad you arrived safely. :)

sally mae     at 9:27 pm

I totally can’t see your baby bump yet. You are still tiny as ever! Also, I have a question about prenatals vitamins. I’m kind of scared to take them every day because I’ve heard they cause constipation and just the thought of them makes me nauseous. I haven’t had my first dr. appointment yet so I’m not sure what to do. Any advice?

Well they do cause constipation, but that’s because of the increase in iron levels, which you and your baby need! It’s really not that bad. I promise I am still pooping. :) I take mine at night before bed, so that they don’t make me nauseous!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 9:30 pm

You’re looking gorgeous!!! I love these posts. They definitely give me so much insight!

Haley     at 10:06 pm

STAY OFF THE INTERNET DURING PREGNANCY crazy girl!! ;-) I would say that 9 out of 10 patients that have a low-lying placenta early on in pregnancy will have it migrate upward by the time you get to the 20 week mark so stop stressing about Baby G and start packing for Seattle! You’ll be heading across the country in no time…

I like to be well informed. :) I MISS YOU!! xoxo

Sarah @ The Pajama Chef     at 10:27 pm

can i just say that i’m not surprised you just internet shopped yesterday? i totally was like, she’s working after finding out that news??? :) way to go, and be sure to celebrate!

laura (starloz)     at 11:06 pm

oh boy, how exciting. i love the baby gifts.

Melodie     at 11:07 pm

Hi Emily! I hardly ever comment on your blog, but I wanted to ease your concern on the placenta previa. I had this with both of my boys and the placenta moved where it was supposed to just in time! My oldest one had the most stubborn case, but it moved eventually!!

Katy     at 11:18 pm

have you checked out zulily.com yet for baby clothes? you can get some really cute stuff at pretty good deals… i’m not even thinking about babies yet and i love surfing the site (shhh…dont tell my husband!)

I haven’t! Thanks for the tip!

Emily     at 11:20 pm

I’m currently nannying in Seattle (Mercer Island) for a family with three kids, the youngest is ten months. The mother loved her OB/GYN. Shoot me an email if you’d like the contact info for the doctor!

I think I found one, but I’ll let you know if it doesn’t work out. Maybe you can babysit our little one next fall! :)

One Healthy Apple     at 12:51 am

You look fantastic! I love that bib- I definitely hope to own one of those some day!

Sam     at 6:13 am

Awe too cute! I love your pregnancy updates AND that adorable purple dress you’re wearing while cooking. Hoping your twenty week appointment brings you good news on the placenta front!

Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East     at 6:15 am

Glad your feeling better! That baby garnish onesie is too cute!

Presley     at 6:32 am

Baby related items seriously make my heart melt!!!

Kellie     at 7:38 am

I had a low placenta at my 12 week appointment also…don’t worry about it at all! By the next ultrasound, it was right where it should be. I wish they wouldn’t tell us that stuff until it actually is a problem!! Congrats on the boy!I have a 7 month old baby boy and, needless to say, he has stolen my heart!

That’s what I said afterwards – I kind of wish he hadn’t told me!! Glad to know you were just fine. :)

Alisa's Garden     at 9:17 am

I love the little fruit comparisons! As they get bigger the fruit/veggie comaparisons get funnier! Congratulations again!

Shannon (the daily balance)     at 9:36 am

LOVE these posts! as Bean is getting bigger, it’s so fun to relive these moments! It’s co cliche, but they really do grow up so FAST – he’ll be here before you know it!

alana (at) the food     at 9:55 am

that bib is AMAZING!
i’m sure you are already contemplating names now…that’s gotta be the best part!

Monica     at 10:36 am

You look so cute! And I am loving all the pregnancy updates.

Try not to worry too much about the ‘what if’ factors until your next appointment, which I know is easier said than done. But I am learning that pregnancy is one big ball of ‘what if’ factors.

And if you find any luck with treating the pregnancy acne, please please please please let me know. Mine is driving me crazy!

Rachel Jacobs     at 11:08 am

The restraint you are showing for shopping is phenomenal. The day I found out I was having a girl I went to Gymboree and spent a ton…I just knew that my baby Caroline would need the strawberry dress, socks, hair clips, and slip on shoes that all match.

I think it’s mostly because I don’t want to move extra stuff! I have a feeling there will be a massive surge in shopping once we move and I have an actual nursery to start working on! :)

Adriane @ Greenhorn Living     at 11:11 am

That bib is fabulous! Too, too funny. I’m so enjoying reading, as usual, but especially with you being willing to share your amazing baby-making journey (my sister-in-law is the one who made me realize the baby-making isn’t over after conception. She used to call me and say things like “I grew eyes today and I’m exhausted!” lol). Wishing you (and your boys =D) the best!

It is amazing how exhausting something like eyelids can be! :)

Jaime @ Tiny Green Kitchen     at 12:30 pm

So exciting! I love baby clothes, but I am a long ways away from having an excuse to buy any. (Most of my friends are in the same boat I am.) So I’ll live vicariously through you. ;-)

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine     at 1:43 pm

LOVE the onesie and I’m not even thinking about getting pregnant anytime soon but I’m going to find that bib! sooo adorable!! You’re too cute Emily!

Casey W     at 6:09 pm

Hi Emily, I just wanted to let you know that I have been a reader for a long time and always mean to comment but never have. I am loving your pregnancy journey posts because I am also pregnant :-) Due 3 days after you! I screamed when I found out you were pregnant too! I’m so happy for you and Casey and I look forward to continuing to hear how your pregnancy progresses. It is really fun to be able share this journey with someone, even if it is online! I also love hearing about a fellow vegetarians journey to motherhood. Thank you for sharing these posts!

Oooooh congrats to YOU!! How FUN!!

Casey W Reply:

Thanks! You too! I have to say we are having opposite experiences so far it seems… I haven’t been sick at all and I am definitely showing. I have been asked many times if I am having twins (I am not!) because my belly has gotten so big so early. None of my pants fit! I do totally recommend the Be Band if you are shopping this weekend for new clothes – they sell it at target and I have been able to keep wearing all of my pre-pregnancy pants unbuttoned with the band over the top and it has been working really well!

Just got a Be Band – I haven’t worn it yet though!

Alissa     at 10:51 pm

I love the pregnancy updates- you look beautiful and so happy. As for a new doc when you head to Seattle, have you considered seeing a midwife instead? Even with a low-lying placenta, you are not considered high risk, and seeing a midwife would help facilitate a natural, normal labor and delivery. You are so health-conscious, I would imagine you would lean toward a more natural birth.

I am seeing a midwife in Seattle. :) Still working on developing a birth plan and options. I am very interested in natural birth, but I also need to factor in my history with anxiety, which I know will be very present in the delivery room. I want to set myself up for success as much as possible!

Sarah     at 11:25 pm

I just came across your blog and am so excited to find it. At times I feel like I’m reading a blog about myself – your thoughts, worries and anxieties reassure me that I’m not a crazy person. Thank you!

Welcome welcome! :)

Kareen     at 6:31 am

Hi Emily, I just had to write to tell you that I had placenta previa with my first baby (who is now 12!). I was able to be very active the entire pregnancy. There was no bedrest- nothing special except extra ultrasounds (which was fun!). It sounds so scary at first, but it is just something good to know that they can keep an eye on! Your ultrasound pictures were amazing! Take care!

Thank you – that is really reassuring!

Heather Eats Almond Butter     at 2:26 pm

A boy – so exciting, and you look so beautiful and happy. Gave me chills reading this as I was in my first trimester last year at this time…and all I wanted was cold cereal. :)

Emily, you have so so SO much to look forward to. I can’t even begin to tell you. Take care – he’ll be here before you know it!

Cold cereal is the best! I am so excited about having a little boy. :) I just want him to hurry up and get here!!

Eileen     at 9:56 pm

A couple of things … don’t be disappointed if you find that maternity clothes don’t fit you yet. You are teeny-tiny, and you look like you could get away with leggings and a one-size-up, floaty top for another couple of months. It *is* fun to shop for maternity stuff … but some of it just doesn’t work in the early months.

I think you’re making a good decision to take a break from running, as much for peace of mind as anything else. I have three kids, and with my first, I couldn’t have run … any little twinge would have sent me into fits of worry. I also didn’t run with my second. However, when #3 came along, I made the strange discovery that running was the ONLY cure for my incessant nausea. Weird, but more confirmation that every pregnancy is completely different. All three kids came out great. :)

Jessica S     at 5:09 pm

I recently moved back to cincinnati from seattle and started reading your blog by a recommendation from my sister in law. We used Dr Susan Block and loved her!

Why I am so over “mommy blogging” « Not Another Mother     at 3:24 pm

[...] I used to have this misplaced ambition about being a mommy blogger. First, I just wanted to be a regular blogger, but then I started reading tons of mommy blogs, got pregnant (not because of the mommy blogs, but because I’m irresponsible), and I thought, “That’s it! I’ll be a mommy blogger and like, you know, relate to other moms. And stuff.” I changed my blog name and got all of these grand visions for what my blog would be. I blogged throughout my pregnancy and posted cheesy letters to my future kid like every other mom blogger in the world. I tried to take cute belly pictures, though mine could never quite compete with other bloggers, like the  lady who took pictures with fucking fruit every month. [...]

Pregnancy announcement ideas     at 5:59 pm

There is certainly very good helpful tips here. I will promote our expecting scanning customers to see this web site.Maternity Care