Week 14: My Pregnancy Journey.

I have a few different favorite websites and phone apps that I use to track all my weekly baby updates.  Most of the time they are all right on the same page, but these last few weeks have been sort of a grey area.  Some have said the first trimester ended at 12 weeks, while others said I had to wait until fourteen.  I figured I’d err on the conservative side, but now the wait is most definitely over.  I am officially in my SECOND trimester!  How did that happen??

How Big is the Baby?

Hold onto your hats, friends.  We’ve got a large lemon this week!

I kicked off the first morning of my second trimester with one final (I hope!) vomit episode.  I think the lemon-man just wanted to remind me who was in charge – regardless of what the calendar said.

How I’m Changing

The bump is definitely not a figment of my imagination anymore.  I doubt anyone else would still really notice, but I am certainly noticing it more and more each day.

I went maternity shopping with Lisa this weekend and picked up these super comfy shorts at Old Navy.  They aren’t actually maternity – just regular shorts – but they have a stretchy waistband and I bought them a size up.  They are too big for me and look kind of gigantic now, but I don’t care – they are so comfortable!  Plus I am hoping they will have room to grow into all summer long.

More and more I can’t stand having anything tight around my waist, particularly when I’m sitting down.  I also bought one of those belly bands everyone recommended, but I’m not sure that I like it yet.  it seems bulky and cumbersome under my shirts, and I can’t get it to stay in one place.

Even though summertime is the warmest, I’m excited to be pregnant during the summer so I can wear dresses and not worry so much about waistbands!

How I’m Feeling

It’s funny how quickly my standards for feeling well have adjusted.  I keep telling everyone that “I feel so much better!” – which is true, but relative to my un-pregnant self, I still feel pretty different.  I still wake up every morning feeling nauseous as hell, but over the course of three long months I’ve learned to manage and get used to it.  It’s really not that bad anymore!

I can also tell that my energy levels are increasing.  I am waking up earlier in the mornings, napping almost never, and staying up later at night (10pm – wild!).  I am feeling antsy to be active and go for lots of long walks outside, and I am loving being back in the gym lifting weights.  It feels good to have a bit more control over my body than I did a few weeks ago.

My sleeping is horrible, and on average I’d say I get up three times a night to either pee or drink water because I feel dehydrated.  I also toss and turn back and forth, and never really quite feel comfortable.  We are coming up with a plan for when we get to Seattle to NOT share the bed with our dogs, and I am hoping that improves my quality of sleep in a few weeks.

What I’m Eating

I wouldn’t say my appetite is back, but it’s definitely increasing.  I found myself picking out foods this week that I haven’t eaten in months!  Just this afternoon I got lunch at Whole Foods (don’t judge) and even ate a hearty portion of Greek SALAD – can you believe it??  I am still on a big pasta kick, and eat mostly cereal for breakfasts and snacks, but sloooowly but surely the veggies are creeping back in.

Oh, and yesterday I ate a pound of strawberries.  The whole pound.  By myself.  Fruit is definitely my favorite now – apples, oranges, grapes, and strawberries.  I can’t get enough, and I am counting down until watermelon is in season!  I still don’t feel like I am more hungry than normal, although when I AM hungry, I find I need to satisfy it quickly or it turns to nausea.

Buying For Baby

I didn’t buy a single thing this week, although I was tempted by some cute onesies at Old Navy.  Now that we know (think) it’s a boy, and I’m feeling more and more pregnant, I am finally starting to dive into all the online research and shopping.  Last night I stayed up until 11pm reading every single Young House Love post that was tagged with baby, and this morning I sat and sobbed through the entire six-part birth story of Baby Bower.  I am in the “sponge” phase where I want to know any and everything!

I’m also getting really excited to get to Seattle and finally start working on picking things out for our nursery.  I have already spent waaay too much time browsing Land of Nod furniture and crib bedding, and am currently trying to justify an absurdly expensive crib.  Crate and Barrel deciding to make baby furniture could end up disastrous for me…

My hope is that for you guys, these pregnancy updates are a fun and REAL look at what it’s like to experience a first pregnancy.  For those of you who don’t have kids or haven’t been pregnant – I know about as much as you do right now!

I have mentioned before that I’ve been weighing myself throughout this pregnancy, not because I’m afraid to gain any (obviously I plan to gain the recommended amount), but because I find all of these body changes and growth spurts really fascinating – especially when broken down week to week.  So far I am still down 2 pounds from my starting weight, but I have gained back 3 of the 5 pounds I lost due to morning sickness.  Feels right on track to me!

Last but not least, a genuine belly shot, so you can see what I mean about it being a bit more round than it used to be…

Next week I will remember to not block the picture with my arm.  :)  I can’t believe the second trimester is already here and our moving truck comes next Thursday – time is flying!

Here is a list of links to the previous pregnancy posts and weekly updates…

Weekly Updates:

Pregnancy Posts:

Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep     at 2:57 pm

I get so excited when I see your updates! Your bump is so adorable.

Freya     at 2:58 pm

I am loving these updates!! I almost feel like I”M pregnant!! I’m so glad you and the Mr Baby are doing well. I’m still waiting on that watermelon post though :P

Hollie     at 2:59 pm

Belly shot- Yay! So exciting! Made your banana chocolate brownies the other day, very good!! I also melted some chips to drizzle on top. Any way to get extra chocolate in, i’ll do it. :)

Jen     at 3:00 pm

I love these updates!!! It brings back all the awesome memories of my first pregnancy. Fruit was a major craving of mine with the first one, I just couldn’t get enough. You waking up at night is your baby lemon prepping you for when he is up multiple times during the night :)

The funny thing is I have gotten so used to it that I don’t really even mind it. I just expect to be awake one an hour now.

Jen Reply:

It’s amazing how our bodies just adjust :)

Nikki T     at 3:01 pm

Love the weekly updates! I’m so glad I found your blog while you were just a few update-posts in- it’s so neat to follow someone through pregnancy, especially when I’m planning my first one in the near future!

So glad you found the blog! Good luck to you guys!!

Alexandra     at 3:02 pm

I knwo this is off the baby track, but can you let us know how you train your dogs to NOT sleep on your bed after they have been doing it for so long? Thanks!

If I can successfully do it – absolutely! :)

Ayelet Reply:

It helps to get your dog a designated dog bed/pillow on the floor. Also, try teaching your dog “off,” which we use to keep our dog off the sofa when we’re eating–we have a strict policy about that. Although we let our dog hang out in bed with us, and sometimes even let him sleep there, we always reserve the right to command him to get “off” and “go to bed.” He knows the deal. I guess it helped that he’d been raised with the on/off policy with regard to the sofa, so it wasn’t an entirely foreign concept.

Carly (Swim, Run, Om)     at 3:02 pm

I love these updates … I’m far from being pregnant myself (I’m not even married! Ha!), but I truly can’t wait for that adventure of my life, and I am living vicariously through you right now!

Alisa's Garden     at 3:02 pm

Love your updates! I use those pregnancy apps too…they get a little grey the further along you get. I think they run out of ideas for fruit/veggie comparisons…loL!

Haha I was wondering about that. Maybe I’ll have to get more creative…

Lauren     at 3:03 pm

Congrats on hitting your second trimester! :)

Thank you!!

colleen     at 3:03 pm

I was so excited to see your update! Definitely a smart move on just buying larger clothes with either a tie or stretchy waistband. Leave the true maternity clothes for the winter. That is what I did. Saved so much money. Love the belly shot – so cute.

Jennifer B.     at 3:03 pm

Hooray, congrats! I remember just about 9 months ago discussing having children with you at the Ball Canning event. My babies are almost 4 and 1 already! Time flies, I hope you continue to have a great pregnancy and enjoy it!!

Omg YES! Can’t believe yours are so grown up already!! :)

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey     at 3:03 pm

You are so adorable, Emily. I can’t get enough of the preggo posts. I hope to be doing this myself in the next year or two, and I love seeing it through your eyes. Thanks! :)

~

Dorothy     at 3:04 pm

I don’t plan to have a child for a few years, but I LOVE reading your weekly update pages… I’m fascinated by the changes you’re going through. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah     at 3:04 pm

I appreciate your pregnancy updates! Im also vegetarian and looking forward to having kids in the future so reading about your journey makes me feel even more exited for my own!
Btw- I am from Seattle and its really an excellent city for living. Very food friendly, eco friendly and fitness friendly!

RhodeyGirl     at 3:05 pm

You look great! Fruit just tastes SO amazing right now, RIGHT?!?!

I can’t wait for watermelon season either. I’ve been buying those ridiculously expensive cut watermelon containers from Whole Foods now and again, but I can’t wait for a proper hunk of melon!

I saw one at WF this weekend and tried to get Casey to carry it but he refused since we are moving next week. :) I’ll have to wait til we get to Seattle! Fruit + hydration = heaven.

Kim @ girlevolving     at 3:06 pm

You look gorgeous! Hope you just keep feeling better and better!

Thank you!!!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 3:07 pm

You know I love these updates. :) You look beautiful!

Kara     at 3:07 pm

I think you look fantastic! The 2nd trimester rocks, enjoy it :)

Ashley P. @ The Vegetable Life     at 3:07 pm

Once again I love the pregnancy updates!!! Your little baby bump is adorable, there it definetly a little baby bump there now!!! Congrats for entering trimester #2!!!

Stephanie @ LiveCookLove     at 3:07 pm

OMG your BELLY!!!!!!! I can’t wait to see it grow!

Thanks for updating us on your pregnancy journey every week! I’ve never been pregnant but plan to hopefully have kids one day, so your updates will make me feel more normal. I am so excited to watch that belly grow and soon there will be a baby!!!

Kath     at 3:08 pm

:) The naked belly shot is my favorite! Definite bump!!

I told you!!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing     at 3:08 pm

Ahh! Your cute little bump is so….CUTE! :) Yay!

Tami     at 3:09 pm

if you can find pants that i have tie for the waistband that might work for you. i wore 2 different pair (i would tell you i got them at old navy but that was 8 years ago!!!) with the tie, they can just grow with you and seem to fit the same as regular pants.

These have a stretch waist AND a tie! Lots of room to grow. :)

Cait @ Beyond Bananas     at 3:10 pm

I love reading these updates. Someday.. whenever I am having my first.. I know I am going to think back to the daily garnish and all you had ot say!!

Awww I love that!

Kris     at 3:10 pm

You look so great! The shorts are a great idea and are really cute, even if a little big. When you post about going to Target and ON, I get pangs for living in Alexandria and shopping at Potomac Yard.

Lauren     at 3:11 pm

I love these posts. My son will be two (!) in June and we are starting to think about baby #2 and you are making my ovaries twitch!

Ps. I didn’t love the belly band either. But what I did love, and lived in towards the end of my pregnancy, were the maternity palazzo capris from old navy. AMAZING. Actually all their maternity stuff is great.

Our Old Navy didn’t have a very good maternity selection, and almost everything they had was way too big. Hoping to check out another one when I’m home in Cincinnati, and I’ll definitely look for those pants!!

Lauren Reply:

I think I ordered them online…much better selection than in the store. I had them in black and brown. Cotton goodness and the waistband adjusts so you can make them as low as you want or cover the whole belly (although that just seems hot to me).

Katie KS Reply:

Don’t go to Rookwood. I’m pretty sure they stopped carrying maternity. I believe Kenwood still does but have not been there since Christmas.Also hate the belly bands but better if folded down. I only used them because I had to dress for work. For non work, I could wear regular yoga pants all the way thru.

Saved me a trip – thank you! :) Maybe I’ll just check out online. Rookwood Baby Gap carried maternity when I worked there – hoping that is still there!

BB     at 3:13 pm

I’m loving your pregnancy updates. Keep ‘em coming! If you are starting to shop for baby, you definitely want to pick up a copy of Baby Bargains by Denise & Alan Fields. It is a quick and straight forward run down of the best baby products, what you need and more importantly, what you don’t. It is also a really great way to learn what all those ‘baby contraptions’ (as my husband refers to them) are for.

gabriella @ embracement     at 3:13 pm

Aw what a cute littttle baby bump! I’m always so excited for these updates; they’re definitely a real look at pregnancy and it’s nice to read them from someone going through it for the first time.

Graze With Me     at 3:14 pm

Keep up the updates!! I’m with you on the endless bedding and crib shopping. I’m already trying to get my hubs to commit, buy and set up the crib so the cats can get used to it before baby comes.

Great shorts too, Old Navy has some really nice and cheap maternity clothes. Their maternity dresses (online) are really cute.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 3:14 pm

I absolutely adore these posts. I can definitely see a change in your belly – you’re starting to look pregnant!

miranda @ working mom works out     at 3:15 pm

I love your preggo posts!!! Cutest pregnant girl ever!

Jessica     at 3:15 pm

Congrats. You’re absolutely glowing! I love reading these updates.

Kaitlin     at 3:17 pm

Love these posts! And your belly is so CUTE!!!

Stephanie     at 3:17 pm

Keep em comin! I love these posts! I have never been pregnant but love seeing someone journey HEALTHILY through pregnancy. There’s a pregnant girl at my work who ate four giant slices of cake with the excuse that she’s “pregnant so it doesn’t matter.” You are an inspiration that it can be done!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance)     at 3:20 pm

these updates are my favorite! and yay for pretty sundresses with a pregnant belly! my sisters were pregnant in the summer and i always loved how cute they looked :)

Jayna @ Healthy Living Bites     at 3:21 pm

Ahhh, I love the baby bump and all the details!!! So much fun. I am a wealth of baby advice (most unwanted LOL), so when you are home we HAVE to get together! I’m telling you- Gap Outlet for maternity clothes!

Katie KS Reply:

I feel like I’m the downer of shopping – I went to Gap Outlet (by the airport not the outlet mall) in February and was SO disappointed. When I was pregnant with my first in 08 I got a bag of like 15 items for $30. There was a ton there. In Feb there was one two-sided maternity rack and almost everything was lg and xl. I got one shirt and a pair of jeans. Almost everything s and m they had were ripped or in horrible shape. Maybe I just went the wrong week, but it was not worth the drive – and the deals were not that great.

No that is good to know! That is always my problem at outlets – never any smalls left. :(

Jayna @ Healthy Living Bites Reply:

The deal on the Gap Outlet by the airport is that it changes every week. They get damages, overstock, and sometimes huge shipments of one particular shirt that they’ll price at .99 (yes, even maternity). They get shipments in on tuesday night so wednesday morning is the best time to go. Sometimes I come away with nothing, sometimes I come away with too much!

d     at 3:23 pm

Awwww love your updates! Just had my first baby 8 short weeks ago so all you are going through is wonderfully still fresh in my mind. Stay healthy, feel good, and above all listen to your body! Eat strawberries by the pound if that’s what the little man craves :)

Allie (Live Laugh Eat)     at 3:27 pm

I have a feeling Indy and Huey are NOT gonna adjust well to not cuddling up with you and Casey! Maybe if you get them their own bed :). But really, I think that would be so much better for you especially when the baby arrives.

Red Deception     at 3:29 pm

I can see that there is a wee bit of baby belly! You are getting cuter each week :)

I haven’t been pregnant, so it’s exciting to view your experience week by week and watch you grow! Will you be getting a 3D ultrasound? It must be so exciting to imagine what Baby Garnish is going to look like!

Kristy@RunTheLongRoad     at 3:34 pm

I love these updates! You will look absolutely adorable with a belly!

Molly     at 3:38 pm

You look adorable! Glad you are starting to be able to manage the nausea. I promimse it *should* get even better in a few weeks. Good luck with the move and picking nursery furniture. I am also obsessed with the Land of Nod stuff and am trying to justify such a large purchase. We need to make a decision soon in case I deliver early! If you are thinking of buying a glider they will even send you fabric samples – so fun.

Aw so cute! I can’t wait until I get pregnant!

Stacey (Being Stacey)     at 3:39 pm

I love these updates! I have never been so ‘involved’ in a pregnancy. I literaaly have no idea what really happens so every post is a great surprise as to what is happening.

Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses     at 3:41 pm

This is so much fun! I love reading these weekly re-caps. This will be so much fun for you to look back upon someday!

Sharon Owen     at 3:45 pm

These updates take me back to my pregnancies!! I can’t wait for when you start being able to FEEL and even SEE the little Man move!! It is SOO COOL!

I know you’re getting advice from EVERYONE, but the BEST thing I learned: Sleep/rest when you can. Everything is handled better if you are a rested as possible!!

:D

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy     at 3:46 pm

So cute! You def. have that sweet pregnant glow about you. Call me crazy but I feel like 50% of everyone around me is preggo…perhaps I should avoid drinking the water. Not that I don’t love lemons.

Kristen Reply:

Ha! I feel that exact same way (and I am one of the 50%). There are 4 of us now at my work that are pregnant – one due in June, one in August, one in September, and I’m in October. We keep telling people to avoid the water!

Kristen     at 3:46 pm

Have you gotten to the point yet where you loathe all the skinny girls at the gym, but equally hate the really really pregnant chicks? Although I love my little tiny bump, I wish it looked more like a pregnant belly than a big dinner. Don’t worry though, I know yours will be showing more in just a few weeks.

As for the belly bands, the first time I wore mine like recommended, I couldn’t stand it. But, I quickly learned that you could fold it in half so it doesn’t ride up as high and it is much more comfortable. And get ready, because you’ll need to be wearing it soon – at 15 weeks, my pants all of a sudden don’t fit anymore!

Anne @ Baking Me     at 3:57 pm

I just found your blog a few weeks ago and I am really enjoying it! My husband and I have two dogs and they used to share the bed with us but they were really disrupting our sleep. So we got them both their own little dog beds and set them up in the mud room. It took a little while for them to adjust but eventually they did and we all sleep much better now :)

Chase     at 3:59 pm

You’re going to absolutely love looking back at these posts! =D I really hope that your 2nd trimester is better (read: less vomitous) than the first!

Kelly     at 4:05 pm

Aww! Your little baby bump is so cute! I like that color purple on your shirt too!

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous     at 4:10 pm

Ee!! Definitely a bump now. So exciting. Loving these weekly posts.

Ericka     at 4:12 pm

Emily, you are so flippin’ cute! I love your pregnancy updates. I’m nowhere near the mommy stage of my life, but I’m really enjoying learning more about pregnancy through your posts.

I recently had to buy some baby clothes as a gift for a friend…I think it was the most stressful purchase I’ve made recently! I had NO CLUE what to buy, so I ended up staring at all the options for probably a good half an hour before making a decision.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 4:17 pm

You have a little bump!! I love it! :-) I couldn’t get enough watermelon during my pregnancy. It was the perfect snack…or meal. ;-)

Alaina     at 4:21 pm

I do love seeing these updates. I will definitely be referencing these posts about 3 years from now. ;-)

I’m completely the opposite. I hope to be pregnant in the winter so that I can bundle up and stay warm.

sarah     at 4:29 pm

I love that you size the kid by comparing him to food. I mean, you conceivably could go with sporting equipment of some kind, right? Golf ball…squash ball…tennis ball… Who am I kidding, though. Oh: I got a brilliant idea. Whatever I’m getting for Rebecca, you’re getting, too.

Katie Bower     at 4:36 pm

Awww. thanks for the link love and seriously…how cute are these fruit photos?! Adorable!
xo – kb

Kimberly @ Healthy Strides     at 4:38 pm

Isn’t it amazing how great it feels to stay up till 10 p.m.?! I remember getting excited that I could make it through the entire “Biggest Loser” episode as opposed to falling asleep before it started.

I’m also on the band-dislike wagon. I live in either full-panel pants (ugly but oh so comfy) and dresses. I like Old Navy’s roll top skirts, and I just bought one a size up.

Maryann     at 4:38 pm

Emily,
You are showing for sure. So excited for you and your updates are great. How times have changed but having a baby is and always will be the most wonderful experience in a person’s life. Can’t wait to see Baby Garnish. Hard to believe you’re moving next week already.
Blessings,
Lancaster Co PA Gal

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com     at 4:39 pm

Love your weekly pregnancy recaps. And so glad you are finally eating a lot more better now. Cute bump :)

Theodora     at 4:40 pm

I love these updates more than I ever though I would. Congrats on your little lemon!

Shari     at 4:41 pm

I feel like a broken record by this point, but I so enjoy these posts. Thank you for letting us share this magical journey with you :)

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 4:47 pm

Hooray for the mini bump.. I love it!! :)

becca (bellebottoms)     at 4:53 pm

yeah for little baby boy lemon! So exciting!

And can I say this…is it sad that your pregnant belly very much resembles my non-pregnant belly right now? haha I think I need to lay off the salt!! :(

Jo @ Jo In the Kitchen     at 4:53 pm

What a cute baby bump!

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life     at 4:54 pm

I love these updates! And I’m glad you are feeling better! Your belly is still so tiny! I can tell you are going to “wear” pregnancy well!

Lisa     at 4:55 pm

a baby bump!! We should have done a side by side comparison to show the 10 week difference. Watermelon sounds amazing right now, I can pretty much eat a bottomless bowl of any fruit. So excited about Baby G–keep cooking little one!!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking)     at 4:58 pm

Yay for being in the second trimester! I hope today was your last day of being sick :) Everyone I know says the second trimester is the best!

Sarah     at 5:00 pm

I love reading about your pegancy! I am glad you are writing about. :-)

Stacey     at 5:03 pm

I love these posts! When I saw that you had written one on Facebook, I hurried around doing chores so I could sit back down and give your baby update my full attention lol :D

Baby Garnish is certainly growing! I’m glad that you’ve been able to deal with the morning sickness a little better :) I can’t wait to see how other things change as well!

PS. This is kind of a weird question but I was wondering: when you workout, do you still incorporate ab work now that you are pregnant? does it feel any different? I’m just curious!

Ashley     at 5:13 pm

A sliight bump! So cute!! Loved this update…per usual!!!!!!!!! :) xoxo

Lauren     at 5:14 pm

You look amazing!!! Hopefully next week, we’ll see an orange! :)

Ashley L     at 5:21 pm

I had to go read that Blog you posted about. 9.11 ounces?! Holy crap.

I wouldn’t be able to function though, having to give up an all natural pregnancy like that at the end. It’s like it was a moot point.

Can you talk about Seattle more? I need to live vicariously through someone as my life falls apart.

Kayla     at 5:23 pm

You are making me have baby fever! :)
I have the same shorts (except in khaki) from Old Navy and i absolutely LOVE them! I wore them for at least half of my honeymoon. Can’t wait to break them out again!

Lee     at 5:26 pm

I have those shorts. I actually sort of wondered if they were maternity shorts when I bought them because of the waistband but then decided that it didn’t matter either way because they were comfortable.

Your little bump is cute.

Sarah @ The Pajama Chef     at 5:29 pm

awww congratulations on the 2nd trimester, you’re so cute :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 5:30 pm

I was so nauseated with my second baby that I got some of the sea sick bands to wear on my wrists…it was awful. I hope it ends soon for you. The little ones are always in control. After they’re here, every life decision you make is made with them in mind. It’s crazy how that works. Ours are finally old enough now that things are getting easier, but we are in the middle of some life changing decisions now and the choices we are making are with them in mind. I love your baby bump! I am just so happy for you and Casey!

Kate     at 5:31 pm

You and the lemon man are beautiful! Check out zulilly.com. Sales change everyday but you can get some very very cool stuff at bargain prices sometimes. Some of the stuff is so high priced anyway that even at 50% off….the prices are crazy but there definitely is some good stuff if you look daily!

Lindsey Grossman     at 5:37 pm

I was SO tempted to buy an expensive crib, but I’m really glad I didn’t. I actually ended up getting mine at (GASP!) Walmart, from their Baby Mod collection. I highly suggest checking it out! It’s only online, but I could take a pic of mine in action if you like:)

My number two choice is a Graco crib from Walmart! Maybe I should go see it in person…

Kimliveshealthy     at 5:49 pm

Yeahhh belly shot! :) You look great and it’s fun reading your stories about cravings – great info for first time mommies!

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 5:50 pm

Hope your nausea goes away for good soon!

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life     at 5:53 pm

Your belly is totally, utterly adorable! Thanks, as always, for sharing the journey with us.

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day     at 5:58 pm

I’ve never been pregnant and while it’s a ways off for me, I am absolutely fascinated by your pregnancy updates! One day when I am pregnant I will find myself reading your updates and seeing if I can relate :)

Gina     at 6:31 pm

ohmigosh time flies!!!

Jen     at 6:31 pm

Love reading the prego updates. I’m 19 weeks right now…two things struck me as I was reading this post.

1) I found those belly band things VERY annoying. Never stayed in place and it actually disintegrated when I put it in the laundry. Maternity pants have been fabulous – super comfy.

2) EVERYONE has had that “oooooh your going to be pregnant in the summer?” reaction like its the worst thing ever. I am with you 100% – looking forward to fun summery dresses etc. I’m actually really glad I’ll be very pregnant in the summer.

Enjoy!

Jen

Glad to know it’s not just me! And YES to summer/fall babies!!

Abby     at 6:34 pm

I love all of these updates! I am not eager to have kids anytime myself but this summer I got a Nurse Extern position on the Family Birth Center floor of the hospital here. I hope I encounter some expectant mommies as excited as you! :)

Meagan     at 6:34 pm

I look forward to these, IDK why. You are such a fun writer to read Emily! Also, does Casey take these pictures always for you, or do you use a tripod and do the “press and pose” ?

Casey takes them! :) I’m going to need to get a tripod for when he goes back to working in an office!

Syndie     at 6:35 pm

You look adorable!! Love the updates and can’t wait for more. Glad you are feeling better ;)

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan     at 6:44 pm

I loved seeing the baby bump. I craved fruit like crazy with my pregnancies. It was practically all I wanted to eat for a while there. These updates are so fun. Thanks for doing them! :-)

Kim     at 6:48 pm

YAY! I am loving your pregnancy journey Emily!!
Your tummy is looking so lovely!
Pregnant tummies are wonderful!

Brittany     at 7:06 pm

You’re so cute! I’m glad you’re starting to feel better :)

Katy (The Singing Runner)     at 7:21 pm

These posts are so exciting! :) Glad you are starting to feel better!

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed     at 7:33 pm

Loving these updates, it’s so exciting! Your bump is there! Very very small but there :) Happy crib searching and packing!!
Heidi xo

Jen G.     at 7:36 pm

When my mom was nearing the end of her pregnancy with me, the doctor asked if she was having any food cravings. She told him, “Strawberries.” His response was “Fruit! Great!” Mom then told him those strawberries were accompanied by shortcake and ice cream. In a large mixing bowl. Every night. It’s really not a surprise that I have a sweet tooth.

Kristi     at 7:38 pm

Your adorable preggers!

Jen     at 7:40 pm

Aww your little lemon belly is precious :)

I’m with you. I’d much rather be pregnant in the summer and winter months. I feel like fewer clothes would be more comfortable. I never really understood the aversion!

erica     at 7:40 pm

i can’t tell you how much i love these weekly updates!!! it’s all so fascinating!

Margot     at 7:41 pm

Will we be hearing more about how you alter your fitness plans during pregnancy? Like the weightlifting you mentioned in this post?

Emily     at 7:47 pm

Loving these updates! I’m pretty far from being pregnant, but I love the “RL” look at it. :)

Rebecca     at 7:57 pm

I love reading your updates and seeing the progression with food, it does make looking at fruit a little different :-)

To help you sleep better, maybe you could try a Maternity Pillow, my best friend swears by hers, she said it helped towards the end of her pregnancy.

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 8:39 pm

Your bump is so cute! I love your preggo updates :-)

Nicole @ Vegan in the House     at 9:10 pm

I just found out 2 days ago that I’m pregnant with my third child and I’m so excited! So, of course I had to go back and reread all of your preg posts! It’s so fun…which apps are your favorite?

Stacey     at 9:24 pm

I’ve been anxiously awaiting for the bump to finally show! So cute!!

Molly     at 9:41 pm

Crazy little links in your blog and my life this post…I am 8 months pregnant with my second and spent almost the entire day Sunday reading the Bower Power baby blog (stumbled upon it from Young House Love) and just bit the bullet a week ago and bought a bookcase for my 18 month old. About Land of Nod…could not be happier. The bookcase came in FOUR days and my Mom and I were able to put it together in about an hour and quality is amazing. I have no problem justifying the price b/c it truly is an investment piece. With my first daughter I was in the first/second trimester in the summer and wore a lot of skirts and dresses one size up….maternity shorts are a mess and a lot of time the maternity dresses and skirts are so tent like it is crazy…good call on the shorts.
Good luck with everything going on in your life and have fun!

Carre     at 9:44 pm

I bought those same exact shorts at Old Navy today, same color too! I agree they are super comfy. I’m sure you’ll like being pregnant during the summer. I was pregnant last summer and LOVED it….had my little boy in September. Strangely enough I miss wearing maternity clothes lol its back to zippers and buttons for me now, enjoy it!

sarah (sarah learns)     at 9:49 pm

wow, you are probably the cutest pregnant lady ever! :) i’ve told you before, but i love these posts! thanks for sharing this journey with us.

Namaste Gurl     at 10:29 pm

You look great Em- so fun to hear your pregnancy journey each week and see how it flourishes :) Can’t wait to see what else comes up :) Hang in there!

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 11:30 pm

I don’t know the first thing about being pregnant, but I sure do love learning about your pregnancy! It makes me even more excited to get pregnant some day!

lindsay     at 3:00 am

love this post! you are beautiful and your baby bump is so minimal but cute! ;)
Can’t wait to hear more in the future!!

Colleen (What's Baking in the Barbershop)     at 7:19 am

I haven’t left you any comments yet during your pregnancy journey, but I wanted to let you know that I love reading each and every one of your posts! I don’t have any children, but learning about what it’s like for you is both inspirational and helpful (in the future :)). All the best to you, Casey, and lil’ baby Garnish!!! Can’t wait to continue to read more about your journey!

MaryBe@AccidentallyVegan     at 10:14 am

We re-trained our dog not to sleep on the bed when she was about 5. It got to be to difficult to get a good night’s sleep. We bought her a really comfy dog bed and put it next to ours. She didn’t like it at first and it took a few nights then she just gave up lol! Now she is 16 and I always laugh when I see the commercials for the dog-steps, because I’m pretty sure she’d have to use those if we still let her on the bed.
Your baby bump is the cutest thing ever!

Alissa @ Still Unwritten     at 10:19 am

Love the updates! Question – did you use any apps when you were trying to get pregnant? Any recommendations?

AND – our dog sleeps in between us in our bed…yikes. I don’t think he’s going anywhere…

annaleah     at 10:19 am

In my dream last night, I checked your blog and it said you were actually having quintuplets!! I had to check and make sure it was just a dream as soon as I woke up…

Anyway, congratulations on your ONE baby – I love reading all about your adventure, and I’m so happy for both of you!

Jessica     at 11:09 am

So exciting! Been loving reading these. A teensy bit like reliving my two pregnancies. Our “babies” are 7 and 4 now. Hard to believe that it goes by SOOOO fast!

One recommendation is to read or borrow a copy of Baby Bargains. It saved us a lot of money buying unnecessary things. They review and give recommendations that are pretty unbiased on what you need and what you don’t, even breaking down prices, etc. Some of it was the take with a grain of salt kind of advice but most of it was really helpful as a first time mom. Saved me a lot of time at the store agonizing over which car seat to buy that would fit best in our car, which stroller would be best for my tall husband, etc.

Sarah (A Runner's Heart)     at 11:40 am

I Love reading your baby posts! I will be 32 weeks tomorrow and am jealous that I didn’t think about doing fruit pictures! I love that idea! I remember getting my energy back in my second trimester…Now it’s gone again in my Third! lol Just waiting for that burst of energy I’m supposed to get for nesting! haha :) Looking forward to more baby posts from you! :) Glad your starting to feel better! :)

Jen     at 11:43 am

Emily – I am enjoying these weekly updates. They are a great snapshot into what it’s like to be pregnant, although I know it’s different for everyone.

Brandon also thanks you for posting these because I am seriously freaking out about getting pregnant and I have to admit that you’re making me a teeny bit more excited about it. ;)

Oh and you look awesome! Love the bump!

Tricia     at 11:54 am

I love the belly shots! I must admit I am single and have no kids. I found your site through HTP and was looking for veg recipes. But sine I have been reading for over a yr now, I think these baby posts are my FAVE just because your blog makes me feel like I know you! As for the crib I say as much as you want a super expensive crib, I say save. Your baby is going to incur so many expenses in its lifetime and the crib will only be for a couple yrs. Buy them a really nice full size bed that they can keep for a LONG time.

Jamie     at 11:58 am

Your excitement is contagious- it is giving me a little bit of the baby fever. I recently went off birth control so who knows? I could be joining you soon!

Jenna (Hello, I Love You)     at 12:07 pm

You look beautiful Emily!

I didn’t have time to read through all the comments so feel free to ignore this if someone else suggested it but the book Baby Bargains is the best $12.00 I have spent my whole pregnancy. It ranks every baby company and product out there and tells you what you really need. It helped me decide what to splurge on (like his crib) and what you can skip.

Kate @ NaturaStride     at 12:11 pm

Glad to hear you’re feeling a little better! I can definitely see a little bump – too cute! Congrats again.

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 12:16 pm

What a cute little baby bump you got going there :) Precious!

Noelle     at 12:17 pm

I just had a baby and I had a hard time sleeping too, it helped me a lot to sleep on the couch because I couldn’t toss and turn like I did when I was in my bed.

Shayla     at 12:32 pm

I absolutely love love these updates!! I absolutely love these pregnancy posts since we want to start TTC soon and I love knowing what to expect…it’s comforting knowing I can come back to these posts should I have any questions or concerns. I also hope you continue to blog about being a mother and the baby once he arrives! I loved your blog before, but I absolutely love it even more now. You write beautifully and I can feel your love for your pregnancy, baby, and being a mother. Thank you for these posts and sharing it all with us. And I absolutely love your bare belly shot! So cute and I hope you do more of them :)

Nicole     at 12:43 pm

Oh my gosh—I love Land of Nod. They have the most precious items.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing     at 12:52 pm

AW you can SO see your baby bump!! Precious :)
Thank you for sharing everything you do.

Megan     at 12:54 pm

Hi! I dont remember if I have commented before but I wanted to say hello! I’ve been a lurker for a while reading your blog (which I Love!) I love this segment about your pregnancy journey… thanks so much for sharing with us. :) I wanted to say good luck on your move to Seattle. I am a Flight Attendant and I have to say I Love Seattle and hope to one day move there.

Thank you so much!

ErikaMC     at 2:35 pm

It is a very exciting time for you! I’m 22 weeks along and know just what you are going through. I could not sleep worth a darn at about 14 weeks either – we kicked the dogs out of the bed, closed the blinds and it has gradually gotten better. The weeks go by really fast so enjoy every one of them!

Courtney     at 3:41 pm

Have you read this birth story?http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/01/nella-cordelia-birth-story.html

So sad, but so beautiful.

Just read it and am SOBBING now. Thanks a lot. (Kidding) What a beautiful story – really glad I read it. :)

molly l. Reply:

oh my gosh, i read that yesterday and was practically crying at work. so beautiful. really puts things in perspective and will remind me (when the time comes to be pregnant!) to be strong no matter what.

Megan Crane     at 3:44 pm

I hope my comment doesn’t get lost in the 98387987 million other comments you have, but I have a blog that you should check out if you haven’t already:

It’s really interesting to read her views, especially on birth. I don’t know if it’s quite your thing, but I wanted to through it out there for you anyway.

Checking it out now – thank you!!

Lauri (www.RedHeadRecipes.com)     at 10:24 pm

I’ve been enjoying reading about your pregnancy journey (CONGRATS BTW!!!) We are *hoping* to start a family soon, so I’m exciting to read about your journey in preparation :)

Thanks for sharing and LOVE the fruit comparisons!!!!!!!

Shannon     at 10:31 am

I am 26 weeks pregnant today with my first son as well. My sister recommended the book Baby Bargains to me. It is basically a consumer report on all baby products based on parent reviews. They tell you what to get if you want to get the best product regardless of cost and the next best options if you want to save money. It was a lifesaver in trying to sort through the millions of options out there.

Monica     at 3:32 pm

Yay! Your bump is so cute!

This last weekend I spent $16 on grapes. I just couldn’t argue with myself since it was a totally healthy craving….with a ridiculous price tag. I suppose you are only pregnant so many times in your lifetime and should sometimes justify spending too much on grapes. ;)

Week 16: My Pregnancy Journey. | Daily Garnish     at 2:56 pm

[...] Week 14: My Pregnancy Journey (lemon) [...]

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Week 17: My Pregnancy Journey.     at 12:57 pm

[...] Week 14: My Pregnancy Journey (lemon) [...]

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Week 18: My Pregnancy Journey.     at 3:38 pm

[...] Week 14: My Pregnancy Journey (lemon) [...]

Catherine     at 8:23 pm

I know that these pregnancy posts are from back when you were pregnant with Cullen, but I am SO glad you wrote about it all! I’m 31 and my husband and I just found out I am pregnant with our first child, and it is tremendously comforting to go back and read about all of your symptoms, feelings, fears, and milestones. I think I am now in the “sponge” phase and trying to soak up as much info as I can squeeze into my brain. I have my first prenatal visit in a week and I am nervous about something going wrong, or about having a miscarriage, but your posts are helping to ease my mind and worries. Thank you for sharing so much with us. You are a blessing!