Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins.

After spending two weeks with no groceries in Alexandria preparing for the move, two weeks traveling and on the road, and one week unpacking here in Seattle – I have been dying to have a functional kitchen again!  I have been promising you guys for way too long that I would start cooking again once the dust settled, and even though it took a while, I meant it.  Thank you so much for all your patience through our move.  Now let me make it up to you…

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins

(Print this recipe!)

Ingredients:  (makes 12 muffins)

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup peanut flour (or sub peanut butter and reduce milk by 1/4 cup)
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tbsp flax (+ 3 tbsp water)
  • 1.5 cups almond milk
  • 1/4 cup olive oil (or canola oil)
  • 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (+ additional for topping)

To Prepare:  Before I dive into the directions, can I start by saying how much I LOVE my new kitchen?  This was my first time really cooking in it, and it got me so excited for all the great food I will be able to make here.  The raised counter bar gives me a food-free zone for my laptop and camera, while I am scribbling down ingredients in my notebook.  (Anyone else see the crazy fool in the background?)

And my baking box is now located in a drawer directly below the counter workspace, so all I have to do is pull the drawer out to grab flour or sugar.  It helps me keep a much cleaner cooking area, and eliminates the need to pull all the ingredients out ahead of time!

Okay back to the recipe!  Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees.  Combine all purpose flour, peanut flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, and cane sugar in a large mixing bowl.

I was lucky enough (with the help of Krissy) to hoard a large stockpile of the Trader Joe’s peanut flour before it was yanked off the shelves.  If you don’t have the TJ’s flour, you can use PB2 or another brand, or you can also sub with regular peanut butter.  If you use regular PB, make sure you reduce the almond milk amount by 1/4!

In a small bowl, combine the ground flax with 3 tbsp water to create a “flax egg” – allow the mixture to sit to the side for a few minutes until thickened.

In another bowl, combine almond milk, vanilla, and olive oil.  Whisk!

I opted to use olive oil in this recipe because I love the flavor, and I think it brings a little something extra to baked goods.  If you prefer canola or vegetable oil – that works too!

Add the “flax egg” to the wet ingredients…

And then mix wet into dry.

Stir until combined, and be careful to not over-mix.  Once the flour is all incorporated, gently fold in 1/3 cup chocolate chips – YUM!

Spoon the batter into a greased muffin pan.

And top each cup with a few additional chocolate chips.  Why not?

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.  Prepare to wipe your drool when you see how round and fluffy these are once baked…

Plate and serve at least one directly out of the oven – piping hot.

Peanut butter and chocolate are a decadent and rich combination, but these clock in at a relatively healthy 200 calories and 5g protein each!

Enjoyed in the sunshine.  Who says it always rains in Seattle?

Gooey chocolate meltiness inside makes it very hard to eat just one.

The tricky part about Casey being in the office and me being at home, is that now I can’t blame him when the extra baked goods disappear…

Good thing I can always blame the dogs…  The first of many new recipes to come from my new kitchen – enjoy!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin     at 10:08 pm

These look AWESOME!! I’m so excited to have a new peanut flour recipe to try!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing     at 10:08 pm

Looks delicious Emily! I can’t eat gluten, but I might need to experiment with this using some gluten-free flour :)

Brian @ A Thought For Food     at 10:10 pm

Now don’t these sound wonderful! I have to admit, I had never heard of peanut flour until now… but it makes perfect sense that it would exist.

These look great!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life     at 10:10 pm

These look great! I was actually just thinking I needed some muffins in my life. I’ll have to try the straight up peanut butter variation though…

I love your raised counter bar! My laptop would really thank me if I had one of those ;)

Victoria (District Chocoholic)     at 10:12 pm

The distributor for the TJ’s peanut flour was Protein Plus – you can buy their peanut flour online in a pack of six two-pound bags http://www.localharvest.org/peanut-flour-C14227?r=fr

I may or may not go through it at a rate that justifies purchasing such a quantity.

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey Reply:

Awesome! Thanks for the info! :)

~

Cait Reply:

omg, amazing! Thanks for the link!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers     at 10:13 pm

These sound amazing- not that you can go wrong with anything peanut butter flavored! ;) I love the peanut flour instead of peanut butter twist!

Kaitlin     at 10:13 pm

um YES PLEASE. how many can I eat if I’m tapering for my first marathon?? carbo-loading, right?

Haha definitely! I ate two. :)

Alaina     at 10:18 pm

These look so good! I am definitely making them. :-) Can I use a regular egg instead of the flax?

Yep – just sub in one egg!

Lauren     at 10:19 pm

Wow these sound perfect. They rose up so big and pretty after baking! Awesome. Putting these on the to-make list.

Sarah @ The Pajama Chef     at 10:19 pm

sounds awesome!

Lindsay     at 10:24 pm

Yay! These look delicious!

Ellen     at 10:25 pm

these sound so good! question, though. since peanut flour is just peanuts without the oil, if you used PB instead, shouldn’t you decrease the oil, not the milk?

I increased the milk from the original base muffin recipe to account for the extra peanut flour, which is why I said to decrease the milk if not using additional flour. You can try subbing out the oil if you prefer, but I think they might be better with some fat in them!

Suzanne Reply:

I’m doing WW and would LOVE to make these but wondering if there was a way to sub out the oil–could I use applesauce instead? If so–how much and do you think it would ruin them?

I think it’s definitely worth a try – I think it would still be good!

Stacey Reply:

I figured the PointsPlus. As the recipe is above, 4 per muffin…but I made 16 instead of 12. I substituted 2% milk and peanut butter and it’s 5 PointsPlus per muffin.

Suzanne Reply:

Great! Thanks Stacey–I would LOVE to make these, but wasn’t sure how high the points would be. Did you use the peanut flour or PB2 (when calculating)? I’m not sure where to find peanut flour and would love to try these now that I know that the points are low!

Sara @BakingandWine     at 10:27 pm

Oh my goodness. That sounds SOOOOOO good right now! Yum! And yeah, there’s always room for a few extra chocolate chips thrown on top. Always.

tea-bag     at 10:27 pm

once you have a baby you can blame vanishing baked goods on them – one of the things kids are good for (scape goats!) :)

Katie KS     at 10:28 pm

I have already said I was making muffins tomorrow – now maybe it will be these … Hmmm … I imagine I could sub in 1% milk (Hubby is allergic to almonds) and 1 egg? Yeah, I know the calorie count will change :)

Yep, both subs will work!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 10:30 pm

What a great way to break in your new kitchen! :-) These look fantastic.

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey     at 10:31 pm

These look delicious!
I have 3/4 of a bag of the TJ’s flour left – definitely going to put some of it to use for these!

~

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 10:33 pm

These look great! Wish I had bought some of that pb flour at trader joes before they took it off the shelves :(

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet     at 10:41 pm

It must be so much fun to be playing in a new kitchen! I can’t wait to see what awesome new recipes you develop :)

These look great, and I almost though that they were cookie dough balls. PB and chocolate is always a match in heaven!

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 10:43 pm

I bought a PB flour before it was discontinued. It was my first one. Now, I’m trying to make it last. Primarily, I use it for oatmeal.

Christine     at 10:46 pm

I’m impressed that you’ve start whipping up all these great recipes after just moving. I’d be getting pizza and eating on top of boxes!

Haha that is what I’ve BEEN doing for weeks! I’m so sick of it!

ML     at 10:51 pm

Wow, those look amazing! Can’t wait to make those to share (ok who am I kidding, I’m not sharing those!)

Babs     at 10:55 pm

Yum! Choc and PB is always, ALWAYSSSSSSSSS a winning combo :) It makes me want to make some muffins!

kris (everyday oats)     at 10:57 pm

Wow, these look SO soft and fluffy! I can’t wait to make them!

Lindsey     at 10:58 pm

These look delicous! I am making them this reek foankdr sure. Thanks for the peanut butter option versus peanut flour too there is not peanut flour available where I live and I always sad when I cannot make recipes with it!

Sure thing! I know a lot of people prefer regular PB.

Kamaile     at 11:05 pm

Glad you love your new kitchen! Vegan muffins are the best. Thank you for the recipe! Have you ever baked dog treats? I haven’t but would like to try it.

I have NOT, but I have thought about it…

Heidi @ Food Doodles     at 11:06 pm

Yummy! Those look great :D I’m also liking the peanut butter/flour substitution option as I’ve never seen peanut flour :( Although I wish I had some, haha.

Katherina     at 11:18 pm

I could eat that whole pan… get them away from my screen!! Look forward to more new Seattle-kitchen-recipes :)

Lisa     at 11:27 pm

So jealous of your new kitchen. You may make a believer out of me with peanut butter in a baked good–ordinarily I am not a fan, but these look delicious!

Sarah     at 11:29 pm

OMG I need these muffins in my life ASAP!

Alison @ Hospitality Haven     at 11:30 pm

Ohhhh how I love the combination of peanut butter and chocolate!! And I’m glad to see you had some sunshine today – we certainly did here in Victoria!

Sheila     at 11:44 pm

Congrats on your move and your pregnancy! I also live in Seattle and have a 18 mo old daughter. Seattle is a great place! Also, thanks for this great recipe! I will definitely be printing this out and trying it soon!

The Healthy Hipster     at 11:47 pm

Must. Find. Peanut Flour. Canada’s really got some catching up to do :)

lee     at 12:08 am

These look and sound delicious! I’m so glad I’m not the only person who can’t resist a warm-from-the-oven muffin…it seems even better if there’s a cold glass of milk to follow it with. =)

And that’s so fun to hear you’re enjoying your new kitchen. Hope you continue to have fun cooking there.

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food     at 12:18 am

ohh I love that you use peanut flour and olive oil soo flavorful :)

So glad that the move is finally over and you can relax a bit in your new home. And nest :)

Lauren     at 12:37 am

I LOVE how your dogs photobomb every single picture!!! :) I am thinking these muffins will be necessary for our moving extravaganza in September – bookmarked!

I love the word photobomb. :)

Gina     at 12:37 am

Yay, I love your muffin recipes! I still have some peanut flour hanging around looking for a yummy recipe to try!

I can’t wait to see more recipes come out of your shiny new kitchen! The gas range is definitely going to be fun, love the open flame:)

JL goes Vegan     at 5:06 am

YUM! Love it when you’re creating in the kitchen! :) Any suggestions on how to use PB2 instead of peanut flour?

I would think since they are both powders, they could just be a 1:1 swap. Maaaaybe cut down the sugar a tiny bit since the PB2 is sweetened? I doubt it would make much of a difference.

Jumanah (Healthy Living in the Middle East)     at 5:25 am

These sound and look so delicious! I have been looking for a peanut butter muffin recipe to try! Now I have found it!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas     at 5:52 am

THe people who distrubuted the PF to Trader Joe’s still sell it on their website as well.. Grace Farms. I bought a whole bunch a coouple of weeks ago. It is legit the SAME exact thing .. and there is even a disclosure that they distributed to TJs.

Awesome! Good to know when the stash runs out…

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts     at 5:58 am

These look absolutely amazing – thanks for the recipe. I am also slightly in love with your new kitchen :) It looks like a really sensible and helpful set up.

Lauren     at 6:59 am

Wow, these look amazing!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 7:46 am

Love the idea of a baking drawer. What a great way to keep baking time organized!

Stefanie     at 8:29 am

Yum! I think my parents need these the next time I visit them.

Katy     at 8:38 am

These look delicious! My son and I are going to bake them this morning. We dont have flax, are they OK without?

If you don’t use flax, then sub in 1 egg!

Brittney     at 8:42 am

I have some TJ’s peanut flour in my pantry right now. Hmmm… might be making these soon! Glad to see you back in the kitchen Emily!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 9:23 am

Those look incredible! I’m definitely a peanut flour hoarder – I have five packages left!

Glad it’s not just me. :)

Lacey     at 9:41 am

I have to say that I am incredibly jealous of your move to Seattle. I have family that lives across the Sound from Seattle, and my favorite trips as a child have always been the ones to Washington.

This summer my husband and I are road tripping out there for a family reunion. He has never been west of ND (we live in MN), and I am so excited to show him the amazingly beautiful Washington shoreline! As the date approaches, I might be picking your brain for some great restaurants to visit – I am vegetarian and dairy free, so you will probably have a better idea than my non-veggie family of where the hot spots to go are.

I’ve been reading for a few months, now and I don’t think I have posted before. I really enjoy your blog and recipes (I make the healthy spinach and artichoke dip more than I’d like to admit). Congratulations on beginning your new family and starting a new life in one of the most beautiful cities in the country!

Thanks Lacey!

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle)     at 10:03 am

THose muffins sound amazing!!! YUM! Nothing better than peanut butter and chocolate chips!

rofomom     at 10:03 am

Wow they do look tasty and thanks for including estimated nutrition info!!! Love that :)

Susan @ Real Life Travels     at 10:19 am

They look amazing and I just might have to make some. Being pregnant and seeing this … I know I’ll be thinking about this until I make some! :) Enjoy your day!

Devon @FastFoodie     at 10:20 am

I am so sad that TJ Peanut Flours been yanked. I was eating that stuff everyday. Such a bummer. I just don’t like PB2 as much.

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 10:29 am

Should these be called muffins or cupcakes? Either way- YUM!
Glad to see you back in the kitchen :)

I struggle with that question often.

Katie KS Reply:

Unless they have icing/frosting etc, I say MUFFINS!

Amber K Reply:

Exactly! No frosting and it’s not a cupcake :)

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy     at 10:32 am

Love the handsome friend in the background of the photo, my little man always sneaks in mine too and it cracks me up when I’m editing them :)
And also I need to be friends with these muffins.

Jen     at 10:36 am

I love your recipes! They look so easy to make, but delicious!!!! With a 3 year old who “helps” me make everything, your recipes are perfect :) Thank you!

Kim     at 11:11 am

I saw this post last night at 11pm and was practically BEGGING my fiance to make them for me right then and there (you know, because I was too comfy on the couch and way sleepy). I didn’t win that one, but I can’t wait to try these soon :)

Heather     at 11:33 am

V. excited to try these muffins soon.

I am trying to bake/make food gifts for my loved ones once every two weeks or so, (give 28 food gifts is one of my 28 goals for my 29th year ;) ) and with the long list of muffins I keep lusting over in the blog world, I think I may be making some muffin baskets SOON!

yummmmmm :)

Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique     at 11:48 am

Yum! These look great. My favorite combination. :)

Carol     at 11:56 am

Glad your first baking adventure in your new kitchen was a success!! Love the set up:)

Jen     at 12:07 pm

Funny you should say how sunny it has been in Seattle, because it has honestly been so rainy here in northern DC (Maryland) that it is depressing! The other day I looked at the 5 day forecast for this week on my phone and every little picture was rain and cloud. :( Very happy to read your prenancy updates each week, I look forward to them!!! Keep it up little lady!

Jo @ Jo In the Kitchen     at 12:27 pm

I think these more than make up for the moving recipe hiatus! Thanks for the delicious looking muffins :)

Jennifer (The Gourmetour)     at 12:31 pm

First off, these muffins look amazing. Second, I can totally relate to dying to get back in the kitchen. During finals week I didn’t cook or have any groceries, and then my oven went out. Totaling 2 weeks without a normal running kitchen. I was in serious cooking withdrawals!

Nichole (Flirting with Food, Fitness and Fashion)     at 12:45 pm

These looks amazingly good. I like reading your blog recipes or not!! :)

Carrie     at 1:17 pm

Yay – I can’t believe I have all of the ingredients. I’m making these this afternoon – my girls will love them!!!

Carrie Reply:

Wow, such a shame that I misread the recipe and used 1 tsp instead of 1 tbsp of baking powder. Still taste good but nearly so fluffy as yours… I guess I’ll have to make another batch in a few days…

Oh boooo I’m sorry. Definitely make them again when you get the chance!

Bridget     at 3:17 pm

Yum! I think I’m going to try these tonight!

Bridget Reply:

Update: Success! This was my first time baking with a flax “egg” and I’m really happy with the results. Delicious!

Yay!! Thanks for coming back to let me know! So glad it was a success. The flax egg is not nearly as scary as it sounds. :)

Suzanne @ continuing my education     at 4:18 pm

Yum!! I can definitely relate to the feeling of wanting to cook again. I have that feeling when I am really busy and have no time. It is a amazing how much I appreciate cooking when my life slows down. Glad things are going well in Seattle!

Misssss you!

Elena     at 4:37 pm

I’m so glad you are getting so psyched about life in Seattle! Seattle is my hometown, but I too have lived in and fallen in love with DC, so I understood your distress at leaving. But what is the point in living in a state of distress, right? It’s great that you are finding so much to be happy and excited about in Seattle.

Also really psyched to have such a tempting peanut flour recipe! I’ve been living in Europe for the past six months, where they DON’T LIKE PEANUT BUTTER. It’s insane. I have to pay almost $10 (converted to $US) for a teeny little thing of Skippy, and of course, peanut flour is unheard of. But I’m back in Seattle in 2 weeks, and I just ordered my first batch of PB2 to be sent to my house so I can finally make your tofu marinade (probably literally the night I get back. I’ve been dreaming of it for months(. These are definitely next on the list!

How could a whole continent not like peanut butter? That just seems wrong. Welcome back! :)

Katherine     at 4:40 pm

Totally just found your blog, and so glad I did. I will be adding you to my blogroll, and following you :)

Awesome – welcome to the blog! : )

Sara Winter     at 5:42 pm

Welcome to Seattle! No, it doesn’t always rain here. I just found your blog and I am really happy I did… maybe you can motivate me to leave MY desk job.

I’m glad you found the blog too! Welcome!

Lexi     at 6:00 pm

I’m thinking that Baby G loves muffins, as you’ve posted a couple muffin recipes since announcing the pregnancy. All have been SO good (especially the banana blueberry ones!) so I can’t wait to try out these!

I was thinking the same thing. My recipe page is overflowing with muffins! :)

Meg     at 6:13 pm

You have moved to Seattle at the perfect time. The awesome weather that no one outside the area knows about is just around the corner!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset     at 7:59 pm

I can’t wait to try out these muffins, thank you so much for this recipe!
I hope your venture out was a success :D

LauraJayne     at 8:38 pm

I’m so glad you’re cooking again – I moved a lot growing up, and I know that a house never quite felt like “home” until I’d eaten my first home-cooked meal there!

These look and sound totally delicious too!

kat     at 9:11 pm

ohmygod…. so far, it’s the best batter ever. they’re baking right now, and Boyfriend has already threatened to eat them all :-)

Tara     at 11:58 pm

Hi Emily, Maybe you know about this website already but this was the first time I saw they offer nut flours. They don’t have peanut flour, but I thought you might be interested in some of the others. http://nuttyguys.com/Nut-Meal-C77.aspx

Awesome- thanks!!

Chelsea     at 8:33 am

I made these last night. It was my first time using a ‘flax egg’ and it turned out great. These muffins are so delicious and I may have had one for breakfast!

Thanks for the recipe!

Cindy Robinson     at 9:03 am

I made these last night, so good!! Used Almond Butter instead of Peanut Butter because that’s all I had, and substituted pumpkin for the oil because I had to use up some leftover pumpkin (from your vegan pumpkin ice cream!)They were delicious……Thanks for sharing….love how the chocolate chips end up soft :)

So glad they turned out well!

Ashley     at 12:17 pm

These muffins are so cute!!!! They rose so well too! I’m going to try making gluten free cupcakes today…should be interesting!

Elizabeth     at 9:27 am

Just made these last night and they were AMAZING!!!
I used peanut butter since I didn’t have PB Flour but followed everything to the T and I can’t eat enough of them. Thanks :)

Yum – glad you enjoyed!

Laura     at 4:17 pm

So a little late, but I made these last night with peanut butter instead of peanut flour. They are DELICIOUS! My husband even enjoyed them, but I have yet to tell them they don’t contain eggs or butter! Thanks for the great recipe.

Katy @ notjustacarnivore     at 9:36 pm

Made this recipe tonight: it’s fantastic! I think we have a new favorite food in my house! I subbed the flour for Arrowhead Mills whole grain All-Purpose baking mix to get more fiber. Have you ever tried this with Agave to get the sugar content down? I wanted to, but I was afraid I’d ruin it.

Sherry     at 4:12 pm

These look so amazing. I’m thinking my daughter and I might have a baking project ahead! I’m a displaced Seattle-ite (now living south of Austin, TX) and think that there is no lovelier place than Seattle when the sun is out and The Mountain is out! Enjoy. I’m very excited to have found your blog, by the way.

Erin     at 11:31 am

These are delicious! I’ve made them several times with regular eggs, and my whole family loves them. Thanks for sharing this great recipe. I blogged about trying them: http://afewofmommysfavoritethings.blogspot.com/2011/09/peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-muffins.html

Keep the yummy food coming!

I am so glad you like the muffins! Thanks for posting about them. :)

victoria     at 10:34 am

I made these over the weekend and boy were they delish! Super easy to put together and disappeared from the kitchen just at quickly!

nicole     at 8:06 pm

Hello, I was wondering can u sub anything else for th?e almond milk ? Thanks

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers     at 7:56 pm

Dam.these look good too! I wish my Trader Joe’s still sold peanut flour. I am so bookmarking your site. All your dishes look so good!

Leah Reply:

PB2 is almost the same as peanut flour. I used it and it worked great.

Catherine     at 7:28 am

I love these! Do these freeze well? I’m wanting to make them for a friend who just had a baby… Thanks!

designer handbags outlet     at 8:21 am

sona     at 9:43 pm

These are very tasty, however found them to be quite dry….any insight? Made as stated above.

Sarah     at 11:06 am

I made these for a group breakfast today. They were delicious! I know I can always count on your website when I’m looking for a tasty animal-free recipe my meat-eating friends will love:-).

So happy to hear it!

Peanut butter banana chocolate chip bread | Dish on the Run     at 8:46 am

[...] decided to bake these peanut butter chocolate chip muffins instead. However, halfway through mixing up the muffins, inspiration struck. I didn’t dare [...]

Leah     at 6:39 pm

Made these over the weekend and they are fantastic! The only thing I changed was using an egg instead of the flax. The chocolate stayed melty and the muffin was delicious but not overwhelmingly sweet. I also appreciated that your measurements were spot-on – this made 12 normal sized muffins, that came out to 200 calories each.

I’ve enjoyed your blog for a couple of years, and hope you start posting recipes again soon! Love Cullen, but you’re a creative recipe developer and I miss all the food.