For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins.

After spending two weeks with no groceries in Alexandria preparing for the move, two weeks traveling and on the road, and one week unpacking here in Seattle – I have been dying to have a functional kitchen again!  I have been promising you guys for way too long that I would start cooking again once the dust settled, and even though it took a while, I meant it.  Thank you so much for all your patience through our move.  Now let me make it up to you…

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins

(Print this recipe!)

Ingredients:  (makes 12 muffins)

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup peanut flour (or sub peanut butter and reduce milk by 1/4 cup)
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tbsp flax (+ 3 tbsp water)
  • 1.5 cups almond milk
  • 1/4 cup olive oil (or canola oil)
  • 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (+ additional for topping)

To Prepare:  Before I dive into the directions, can I start by saying how much I LOVE my new kitchen?  This was my first time really cooking in it, and it got me so excited for all the great food I will be able to make here.  The raised counter bar gives me a food-free zone for my laptop and camera, while I am scribbling down ingredients in my notebook.  (Anyone else see the crazy fool in the background?)

And my baking box is now located in a drawer directly below the counter workspace, so all I have to do is pull the drawer out to grab flour or sugar.  It helps me keep a much cleaner cooking area, and eliminates the need to pull all the ingredients out ahead of time!

Okay back to the recipe!  Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees.  Combine all purpose flour, peanut flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, and cane sugar in a large mixing bowl.

I was lucky enough (with the help of Krissy) to hoard a large stockpile of the Trader Joe’s peanut flour before it was yanked off the shelves.  If you don’t have the TJ’s flour, you can use PB2 or another brand, or you can also sub with regular peanut butter.  If you use regular PB, make sure you reduce the almond milk amount by 1/4!

In a small bowl, combine the ground flax with 3 tbsp water to create a “flax egg” – allow the mixture to sit to the side for a few minutes until thickened.

In another bowl, combine almond milk, vanilla, and olive oil.  Whisk!

I opted to use olive oil in this recipe because I love the flavor, and I think it brings a little something extra to baked goods.  If you prefer canola or vegetable oil – that works too!

Add the “flax egg” to the wet ingredients…

And then mix wet into dry.

Stir until combined, and be careful to not over-mix.  Once the flour is all incorporated, gently fold in 1/3 cup chocolate chips – YUM!

Spoon the batter into a greased muffin pan.

And top each cup with a few additional chocolate chips.  Why not?

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.  Prepare to wipe your drool when you see how round and fluffy these are once baked…

Plate and serve at least one directly out of the oven – piping hot.

Peanut butter and chocolate are a decadent and rich combination, but these clock in at a relatively healthy 200 calories and 5g protein each!

Enjoyed in the sunshine.  Who says it always rains in Seattle?

Gooey chocolate meltiness inside makes it very hard to eat just one.

The tricky part about Casey being in the office and me being at home, is that now I can’t blame him when the extra baked goods disappear…

Good thing I can always blame the dogs…  The first of many new recipes to come from my new kitchen – enjoy!

Chelsea     at 8:33 am

I made these last night. It was my first time using a ‘flax egg’ and it turned out great. These muffins are so delicious and I may have had one for breakfast!

Thanks for the recipe!

Cindy Robinson     at 9:03 am

I made these last night, so good!! Used Almond Butter instead of Peanut Butter because that’s all I had, and substituted pumpkin for the oil because I had to use up some leftover pumpkin (from your vegan pumpkin ice cream!)They were delicious……Thanks for sharing….love how the chocolate chips end up soft :)

So glad they turned out well!

Ashley     at 12:17 pm

These muffins are so cute!!!! They rose so well too! I’m going to try making gluten free cupcakes today…should be interesting!

Elizabeth     at 9:27 am

Just made these last night and they were AMAZING!!!
I used peanut butter since I didn’t have PB Flour but followed everything to the T and I can’t eat enough of them. Thanks :)

Yum – glad you enjoyed!

Laura     at 4:17 pm

So a little late, but I made these last night with peanut butter instead of peanut flour. They are DELICIOUS! My husband even enjoyed them, but I have yet to tell them they don’t contain eggs or butter! Thanks for the great recipe.

Katy @ notjustacarnivore     at 9:36 pm

Made this recipe tonight: it’s fantastic! I think we have a new favorite food in my house! I subbed the flour for Arrowhead Mills whole grain All-Purpose baking mix to get more fiber. Have you ever tried this with Agave to get the sugar content down? I wanted to, but I was afraid I’d ruin it.

Sherry     at 4:12 pm

These look so amazing. I’m thinking my daughter and I might have a baking project ahead! I’m a displaced Seattle-ite (now living south of Austin, TX) and think that there is no lovelier place than Seattle when the sun is out and The Mountain is out! Enjoy. I’m very excited to have found your blog, by the way.

Erin     at 11:31 am

These are delicious! I’ve made them several times with regular eggs, and my whole family loves them. Thanks for sharing this great recipe. I blogged about trying them: http://afewofmommysfavoritethings.blogspot.com/2011/09/peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-muffins.html

Keep the yummy food coming!

I am so glad you like the muffins! Thanks for posting about them. :)

victoria     at 10:34 am

I made these over the weekend and boy were they delish! Super easy to put together and disappeared from the kitchen just at quickly!

nicole     at 8:06 pm

Hello, I was wondering can u sub anything else for th?e almond milk ? Thanks

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers     at 7:56 pm

Dam.these look good too! I wish my Trader Joe’s still sold peanut flour. I am so bookmarking your site. All your dishes look so good!

Leah Reply:

PB2 is almost the same as peanut flour. I used it and it worked great.

Catherine     at 7:28 am

I love these! Do these freeze well? I’m wanting to make them for a friend who just had a baby… Thanks!

designer handbags outlet     at 8:21 am

sona     at 9:43 pm

These are very tasty, however found them to be quite dry….any insight? Made as stated above.

Sarah     at 11:06 am

I made these for a group breakfast today. They were delicious! I know I can always count on your website when I’m looking for a tasty animal-free recipe my meat-eating friends will love:-).

So happy to hear it!

Peanut butter banana chocolate chip bread | Dish on the Run     at 8:46 am

[…] decided to bake these peanut butter chocolate chip muffins instead. However, halfway through mixing up the muffins, inspiration struck. I didn’t dare […]

Leah     at 6:39 pm

Made these over the weekend and they are fantastic! The only thing I changed was using an egg instead of the flax. The chocolate stayed melty and the muffin was delicious but not overwhelmingly sweet. I also appreciated that your measurements were spot-on – this made 12 normal sized muffins, that came out to 200 calories each.

I’ve enjoyed your blog for a couple of years, and hope you start posting recipes again soon! Love Cullen, but you’re a creative recipe developer and I miss all the food.

running shoes