Seattle’s Sutra.

Friday night was a very special occasion, which could only be celebrated with a very special meal!  LOOK WHO IS HERE!

Sarah (my little sister) has officially landed in Seattle for summer!  We thought it only seemed fitting to go somewhere fun and different for dinner, so we made a reservation at Sutra, a prix fixe intimate vegetarian dining experience.

Inside there were probably only ten tables, and the kitchen was totally open – I loved being able to watch the chef’s work and plate the food.  Definitely had more than a few culinary school flashbacks!

The atmosphere was beautiful, and I could tell we were in for a special meal.

All the food at Sutra is prix fixe, so you don’t get to choose any of your courses.  Instead, courses are served to the whole room at once (there are two seatings per evening) and everyone eats and experiences the food together.  Menus were printed on recycled grocery bags…

They had both wine and non-alcoholic pairing options, but I opted for a vanilla bean dry soda.  These dry sodas are all over Seatte, so I assume they are a local company – I LOVE them!  And I felt fancy drinking mine from a pretty wine glass.

The Chef kicked off our evening with a few words and the offering of thanks to all the local farmers who made our dinner possible.  And then the first course was served…

Asparagus-Leek-Preserved Black Lemon Bisque served with an Arugula-Watercress-Shaved Fennel Salad with a Date Water–Rhubarb-Thyme Dressing and Candied Sunflower Seeds

This salad was off.the.hook.  Candied sunflower seeds need to become a regular part of my life.  The soup was incredible too – I’ve never even heard of preserved black lemons!

Course number two…

House Smoked Green Lentil-Sundried Tomato and Wild Ramp Ragout with a Swiss Chard-Avocado- Pickled Burdock Roll finished with White Sesame Seeds

This one was Casey’s favorite.  I LOVED the crispy parsnip chips on top, and the swiss chard avocado rolls!

Course number three…

Nettle-Roasted Cauliflower-Grilled Eggplant-Cashew Cheese Curry with Basmati Rice served with Sautéed Tamari Glazed Baby Bok Choy finished with a Cherry-Molasses-Caramelized Onion- Habenero Chutney

I was a little nervous when I read the description for this one, since curry has not been sitting well with my pregnant stomach.  But just like all the rest of the courses, this one did not disappoint.

And last but most certainly NOT least…

Pecan-Raw Cacao Fudge with a Lemon Balm-Coconut Cream

I wished this piece was about 50 times bigger than it was.

The food was incredible and the service was unique.  To me, Sutra was about much more than the food.  It was one of those restaurants where you would never even have to know the food was vegetarian, because it was all so delicious that the taste was all that mattered.

The Chef told us that they change the menu there every other week or so, and I’m already looking forward to it for future special occasions.  I have lived in a lot of places in the last few years, but so far I can say with full confidence that nowhere can compete with the food in Seattle.

Until next time!

Freya     at 1:17 pm

WOW @ that menu! That’s pretty much my dream meal right there. Right, next on my Life List – move to Seattle so I can go there :p
Have a great rest of the day :)

Katie     at 1:19 pm

This place looks amazing, I can’t believe I haven’t heard of it! I am at Greenlake ALL the time, I have to try this place out! Thanks for your review!

Jenn from Much to My Delight     at 1:24 pm

Oh man…that meal looks extraordinary!!! And, might I add, so do you.

Katie     at 1:24 pm

Wow, that food looks amazing! I really am going to have to plan a visit to Seattle sometime. I had to laugh a little bit at the length of the course names though – they are not going to leave out a single ingredient! =)

Kath     at 1:24 pm

When I visit, please take me there!

A special occasion indeed! Of COURSE!

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 1:24 pm

How fun! The food looks fantastic! So glad you got to experience it with your baby sis! :)

Jennifer (The Gourmetour)     at 1:26 pm

Sounds like a lot of fun! I’m trying to find Vegetarian and Vegan restaurants around Chicago, and I’m slowly learning about more and more, but I still have yet to make it to one! Your post has be really considering it asap!

Sarah     at 1:29 pm

I am so excited to try this restaurant out! I’ve never heard of it, so thanks for the recommendation! Glad you like Seattle

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 1:36 pm

That coconut cream on top of the fudge looks like what I make! If it is, it is so good! I’m glad you had a great night and your sister is there. Dinner looks delicious!

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos     at 1:40 pm

you have a beautiful mother’s glow emily! i heard seattle has an amazing farmer’s market btw~!

Yena     at 1:42 pm

I’ve been wanting to try Sutra for a while – your meal looks wonderful. I agree, the food here is great. I love living in Seattle!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga)     at 2:03 pm

what an awesome evening!

so happy you guys had a blast and great food, too!

Abby     at 2:12 pm

Yum! :) Looks like a great evening full of great company and food!

Alex     at 2:21 pm

That dinner looks delicious and vegan… what is vegan?
If so I have to keep the name of the restaurant in mind for the next time I go to Seattle!

Alex Reply:

I meant:”Was it vegan?”.
I know what vegan is ;)

I believe the meal was vegan, although the restaurant advertises itself as vegetarian.

Kari     at 2:37 pm

I’m wondering the same thing as Alex – is it actually a vegan restaurant?

It’s advertised as vegetarian, but our meal appeared to be vegan.

Natalia - a side of simple     at 2:38 pm

LOVE that picture of you and the husband. It’s a great one :)

Shannon     at 2:45 pm

We’re visiting Seattle this summer, and as vegans, I’d love to try this restaurant. What a wonderful culinary experience. I’m game!

Errign     at 2:49 pm

I’ve had some samples of the DRY soda and I love how unique their flavors are :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 3:00 pm

Amazing looking dinner! I love the idea of a prix fixe menu.

Chelsea C     at 3:23 pm

That meal looks AHH-ma-ZING!! Why must I live in the prairies of Canada!?! Seattle has now been added to my “must visit soon” list!

katie @ KatieDid     at 3:38 pm

that seems like such a unique place, how cool! glad the food lived up to the expectations, it looks amazing!

Reading (and chickens)     at 4:16 pm

Hey! You were in my ‘hood (and my neighbors co-own that place!). You should have gone across the street afterwards for ice cream or sorbet!

As far as if it’s vegan: I think they’re vegetarian, but if you give them advance notice, they can make your meal vegan.

The line for ice cream across the street was around the block! But definitely next time.

Reading (and chickens) Reply:

Oh, yes, true, the lines are ridiculous all summer. We’ve been taking the boys to Fainting Goat gelato instead (lots more vegan options, too, which is nice).

Namaste Gurl     at 4:17 pm

Mmmm, glad you enjoyed the meal! You’re glowing- keep up the good work :)

Gabrielle     at 4:53 pm

I saw this place featured on a Cooking Channel show about vegetarian and vegan food – I’ve been wanting to go ever since, and now, vicariously, through you, I have gone, so thanks! (portions look too small, but other than that, looks great!)

Megan     at 5:13 pm

I have to agree! The first time I went to Seattle I was floored by all the good food that we ate. (Nothing against Cincinnati but it doesn’t quite compare to LaRosa’s.) :) Even after living in New York, I have to say I’m still enchanted by Seattle.

Might have to suggest that restaurant when we go to Seattle in July!

Crystal     at 5:51 pm

That meal looks fab!

I also love Dry Soda! It is local, they have a tasting room down in Pioneer Square. Try the rhubarb soda, it knocked my socks off the first time I had it. Interesting note – the founder of Dry Soda created it when she was pregnant and got sick of the options for people who didn’t want to consume alcohol with their meals. All of the options were either water, tea or sugary soda. So she created a “dry” soda that isn’t too sweet and is meant to be paired with food.

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed     at 5:58 pm

My goodness, wow that food looks just incredible! every single course. I wish it were in my town!
Heidi xo

McKenzie     at 6:04 pm

Hi! I have been following your blog for awhile and this is the first time I have ever commented. I wanted to say welcome to the West Coast!! I live in Portland Oregon (which you should totally come visit by the way) and I love Seattle. I think you and your family already fit in so nicely and will only continue to love the relaxed atmosphere and warm and friendly people. Thanks for writing a blog I look forward to checking everyday!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas     at 6:36 pm

Normally, I am not a soda drinker. but I would definitely like to give that dry vanilla bean soda a try.. looks and sounds delicious!

Chloe (South Beach Girl)     at 6:48 pm

I’m so glad you and Casey are loving Seattle thus far! Have you thought about doing a blogger meetup? I’m local and would love to meet you and also to try a new restaurant/bar!

Yes, definitely! Hopefully soon – just need to get a bit more settled. :)

megan @ the oatmeal diaries     at 7:01 pm

Wow- that sounds like THE ultimate dining experience! If only that dessert had been bigger!! =D

Hayley     at 7:07 pm

Each one of those dishes look absolutely amazing!! And I am absolutely jealous! :) I definitely agree about the desert size!

Danielle     at 7:07 pm

I am fairly new to Seattle (last July) and live on the East side. We try some fun restaurants now and again, but I love hearing about new ones. I will definitely be adding this one to my to-try list. :) Waiting for sunshine…. Danielle

Michaela     at 7:10 pm

wow, this looks like an awesome place to dine at!! wonderful :) not a bad thing there are so many good eating out options in seattle ;)
and you definitely look soooo pregnant!!
hope you are all well and Sarah will enjoy her stay with you!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 7:41 pm

What a great restaurant!

Laura     at 7:47 pm

so happy you’re able to eat “real” food again!! i know you are more excited than anyone else!! is your sister vegetarian as well?

She’s not a vegetarian, but is happy to eat vegetarian most of the time.

Christine     at 7:53 pm

Love the idea of prix fixe, but then I get worried I won’t like something and will have wasted money and by hungry. I know, I know, I need to branch out and take some culinary risks.

Alaina     at 9:34 pm

This looks like such an amazing experience! Sometimes for me, experience outshines the food. This looks like it has the best of both worlds!

Lisa     at 9:53 pm

I’m adding that restaurant to the running list of places we must go to when we visit Seattle :-)

bitt     at 10:10 pm

I have been to Sutra and it had a good experience other than the dessert which they burned (mine was gluten-free). Wondering if you read my review. Or Andrea’s (cookeasyvegan.blogspot.com) review, another Seattle vegan blogger.

I am going to go look for your review now – I’d love to see it! I loved Sutra and can’t wait to go back. Also – thanks for sending me the link to Andrea’s blog – I need more Seattle bloggers to follow!

Alice     at 11:47 pm

I’m glad you’re enjoying the West coast! As someone who hasn’t lived outside of California, I can honestly say I will miss the West if I ever have to leave. The social diversity and mild climate (great for agriculture) make for an amazing culinary experience.

Mama Pea     at 12:25 am

Oh my, that place looks AMAZING. Is us coming to visit this summer enough of a special occasion to go back? ;)

Jenna     at 1:34 am

Wow, that looks amazing! Somehow I kind of forgot about Sutra- I’ve heard good things & now I REALLY want to go soon!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 8:16 am

You’ve only been there a short time, but I’m so impressed with all the amazing places you’ve found in Seattle! It sounds like there are so many vegetarian (even vegan) friendly spots that serve fresh produce… I want to visit!

Please come visit!! Bring the baby! :)

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 9:42 am

I love those kinds of restaurants. Makes you feel like you’re visiting someone’s home

Katie G.     at 10:36 am

Love your blog! Thanks! It looks from the pictures/descriptions that there wasn’t any dairy in the food at Sutra. Was the meal vegan or just vegetarian? Looks like a lovely meal!

I think the meal was actually vegan, although the restaurant advertises itself as vegetarian.

Amber K     at 10:47 am

Not being able to choose my own food really bugs me for some reason. Mostly because I’m not really into the whole “fancy” food with names that consist of entirely too many words. I sound whiny and unadverturous, lol!

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 11:11 am

That sounds like such a great experience!

LauraJayne     at 11:33 am

I’ve actually heard about this restaurant – I’ve always wanted to try it! I love the idea behind the restaurant, and think it fosters a great spirit of community when everyone is served at once! Looks delicious – can’t wait to keep hearing about your culinary adventures in Seattle!

Brittany     at 12:12 pm

This restaurant looks amazing! I live across the water from Seattle, so I will have to check this place out!! I’ll def be checking back on your blog for more ideas in Seattle!

Pixie     at 12:56 pm

Oh how fun! I’ve never done prix fixe but am going to look for some place here in DC that does it. Your looking wonderful, I can tell being pregnant agrees with you.

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 1:09 pm

That is so awesome your sister is spending the summer with you!!

My sister and I are really close, but we live far apart, so I would love to be able to spend the summer with her.

What a sweet concept for a restaurant!

Jessica     at 1:13 pm

I ate at Sutra a couple weeks ago with a girlfriend it was seriously amazing, your pictures make we want to go back now. Their non-alcholic drink pairings are great too.

Stacy @ Stacy Eats     at 2:30 pm

Such a cool concept for a restaurant! Wish we had something like that in Atlanta!

yossy     at 2:43 pm

What a cool, inventive meal, go Sutra! There is also an awesome vegetarian Thai place up the road called Jhanjay, which is right next door to a kids consignment shop that has been in business for over 20 years, Kids on 45th. Bonus!

Lindsay     at 2:55 pm

YUM! What a cool restaurant experience!

Christina     at 5:58 pm

What a wonderful menu! I’ve never been to a restaurant that only serves a set meal. I would probably feel like I’m eating on the show, Hell’s Kitchen, without all the yelling ;)

I love how all the courses look to be extremely healthy, they look like they cover all the good fats, protein, and of course a sweet tooth.

Jaime     at 6:27 pm

I am going to be in Portland, OR in July. I might need to BEG my friend for a trip to Seattle just for this restaurant. Dayum.

Gina     at 7:23 pm

TOTALLY agree with you on the food in Seattle…it’s incredible and I keep finding new places to try. Sutra sounds fabulous, I hadn’t heard of it! Also…love the Dry sodas…I like the Lavendar best (even though I’ve only had two other flavors!)

I have the lavender in my fridge but haven’t tried it yet!

Sarah K     at 9:51 pm

That restaurant sounds amazing! And I’ve always wanted a sister, you’re so lucky.

Amykinz @ Foodie4Healing     at 10:05 pm

YUM! I may have to take a trip to Seattle JUST to go to that restaurant! (Well, and I’d want to meet you while I was there, too!) ;)

Jessica     at 12:59 am

I have to say I am loving that you moved to Seattle because you are showing me so many Vegetarian resturants I have never been to before :) I am already planning a date night with my hubby to go to Sutra – it looked amazing!

We went to a little hole in the wall called “In the Bowl” the other week. Check it out if you can – it was delicious. We are on the East side so dont venture into Seattle too often. Also did you know there is a Menchies in Queen Anne? We are a little slow on the frozen yogurt trend here but a couple are finally popping up.

There is a frozen yogurt place opening in Fremont this summer too!

Comfort. | Daily Garnish     at 9:38 pm

[...] felt very strange to be returning here just the two of us.  My little sister, Sarah, has been living with us for the summer, but it’s time for her to head back to school soon, so she flew home to Ohio at the end of our [...]