The 20-Week Ultrasound.

We have had such a fun morning!  I’ve been looking forward to our 20 week ultrasound since the day I found out I was pregnant

Since we are seeing a midwife group, they don’t do the ultrasounds directly in their office.  Instead, we went to an imaging center in the same hospital and had a nice ultrasound tech guide us through what we were seeing.

I know I am clearly biased, but tell me – is this not the cutest little face you’ve ever seen?  :)  I am amazed at how much he has grown and truly become a little person since we last saw him 7 weeks ago

MALONEEMILY20110527091056545 (640x480)

I love him so much already!  I know he needs a lot more time to grow and get strong, but I wish so badly that I could hold him and smell him and cover him in kisses.

MALONEEMILY20110527091108396 (640x480)

One of the first questions the tech asked us was whether or not we wanted to find out the sex.  I told her we’d already been given the early word that we should be expecting a boy, but we were very anxious to confirm that news.  Within seconds of bringing his image up on the screen, she was able to tell – “yep, that is definitely a boy!”

MALONEEMILY20110527095956786 (640x480)

Check out the arrow – definitely no question!  At one point she was trying to get a picture of his open hand, and was laughing because he wouldn’t take his hands off of his little man parts.  Typical.  We will work to break that habit quickly!

To some of you this probably just looks like a big black and white mess, but it’s actually a picture of his precious little face!  Eyes, lips, and nose – all there!

MALONEEMILY20110527091635327 (640x480)

While the ultrasound is of course VERY fun for the parents-to-be, it’s also the point where the doctors check to make sure all parts are there and growing as they should be.  We were able to see 10 little fingers and toes, facial features, 4 chambers of the heart, hemispheres of the brain, kidneys, bladder, and so much more!  Truly incredible.

Little legs and feet!  Looks like a runner if you ask me…

MALONEEMILY20110527092513783 (640x480)

I was also able to confirm that since my initial scare with a low placenta – just as you all told me it would – it has moved up and out of the way where it need to be.  Hugh sigh of relief!  She also confirmed that my placenta is forward facing, which is why I haven’t felt him moving around too much yet.

MALONEEMILY20110527095054731 (640x480)

In this profile shot you can see the backbone with all the vertebrae.  I can’t believe something so incredible is actually inside of ME!  Pregnancy is by far the coolest experience of my life.

MALONEEMILY20110527095700035 (640x480)

Check out the dark spot on his chest in this picture – that’s his little beating heart.  When you see it live you can actually see the beating and watch it flicker.  Incredible.

MALONEEMILY20110527095716835 (640x480)

I am on cloud nine after seeing our healthy little guy and hearing how big and strong he is.  As of now he’s actually measuring about a week ahead, and the ultrasound estimated my due date to be October 11th (original date is October 15th).  We’ll see when he decides to get here!

In the meantime I am anxiously awaiting the “I’m in labor” phone call or text from my big sister, who is due this weekend!  So many exciting changes for our family this year, and I can’t wait to meet all the new members.  This was probably the last time I will see Baby Malone until he joins us in October!

Now that we have his boy-ness officially confirmed, I am excited to really dig into shopping for nursery things this weekend.  Next on my list – figuring out what we need on our registry!

Rose     at 3:21 pm

I love how advance ultrasounds are these days.

How exciting for you!!

Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep     at 3:22 pm

I’m beyond thrilled for you! I love reading your posts about your baby boy. Your love and enthusiasm shines through.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 3:24 pm

Awww! It gets me all giddy because I remember how I felt seeing my own little ones on that screen.

Great news on the placenta moving up. Yay for a healthy boy!

Freya     at 3:24 pm

EEeee how exciting!!!

Jen     at 3:24 pm

I just got way too excited and called Jeff over to look at his little man parts. Too cool. I’m so happy for you guys :)

Jaime     at 3:25 pm

LOVE this post. I am tearing up. So happy for you!!!! :)

Kelly     at 3:26 pm

Amazing! I can’t wait til my 20 week ultrasound!!! :)

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat     at 3:28 pm

Wow, so neat that you can see all of that with the ultrasound. New life (and technology) is such a beautiful miraculous thing :) have fun picking stuff out!

Erin     at 3:29 pm

Amazing, amazing, amazing! Congratulations! I have to agree…he does look adorable! :)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing     at 3:31 pm

This was amazing. Seriously, seriously, amazing.

Shucks, I was partial to Oct 15th for the due date — my own birthday! :) Congrats again, Emily!

Katie KS     at 3:33 pm

It is cool how much you can see now, huh? Just this week I was looking at my 2-year-old from the side as she was sitting on the potty and I remarked how when I glimpse her profile, it is definitely the same one we saw at 20 weeks on the u/s. Your son looks like he’ll have a well defined chin! Best of luck to your sis, but know that first kids can definitely run late … and seriously by the end (8 days post EDD) I was so sick of the “are you STILL pregnant?” questions!!!

Elisabeth     at 3:34 pm

So exciting for both of you! Congratulations! It’s amazing the level of detail today’s ultrasounds show – I especially enjoyed the photo where you can see his vertebral column!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas     at 3:37 pm

Amazing! Thanks so much for sharing this!

Susan @ Real Life Travels     at 3:37 pm

Yeah!! Your half way there! Congrats – Such an awesome feeling seeing your little one move on the ultrasound screen!

Jen     at 3:38 pm

how exciting that you were able to see your little man and that he’s thriving, healthy and right on track!

have a wonderful weekend! :)

Alisa's Garden     at 3:39 pm

Congrats! Such a fun time! It’s so wonderful to watch them grow!

Maryann     at 3:39 pm

So beautiful these pictures of your precious little guy. Have a good holiday up there in Seattle.

Kendall (On An Inhale)     at 3:40 pm

So amazing! The little foot is too cute! I’m glad both you and the little guy are doing well :)

Jess@atasteofconfidence     at 3:41 pm

How exciting! Love the pictures.

Rachel     at 3:42 pm

How amazing! Congrats on your healthy baby boy!

Laura @ Starting Out Fit     at 3:42 pm

That is SO amazing!!!!

Chase     at 3:43 pm

He definitely looks like a runner! Such a happy little guy! I’m so happy for you!

Brittany @ a healthy slice of life     at 3:43 pm

Oh Emily- he is precious! I can tell already! So glad everything went well and that you have a healthy boy on the way!!

Nicole     at 3:54 pm

Ultrasounds never cease to amaze me. I know this sounds stupid, but Emily, there is a REAL baby in your belly!! How incredible!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet     at 3:56 pm

That’s so cool! It must be so amazing to know that that little boy is growing inside you. Your pregnancy is going by so fast! I can’t believe it’s already been 20 weeks :) I hope everything stays smooth sailing!

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 3:58 pm

Wow, that is incredible

Brooke @ Bittersweetb     at 4:03 pm

Those ultrasounds pictures are amazing! He looks adorable already!

Amy     at 4:04 pm

He’s adorable! I feel like I’ve never seen such clear ultrasound pictures…so neat. And if I think it’s cool, I can only imagine how cool it is for you. :)

Brittney     at 4:04 pm

So cool! He really does look like a runner Emily!!

Heather     at 4:08 pm

That is so exciting! It is truly an amazing experience and I felt the same rush of emotions and utter amazement at our 20-week ultrasound. Also, congrats and best wishes to your sister!

Lisa     at 4:20 pm

I never get sick of sonogram photos–could look at them all day!! Baby G looks amazing, i can’t wait to see his gorgeous face :-)

Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal     at 4:21 pm

Congrats on him officially being a boy!! Ahhh I’m jealous – I remember all three times we had our 20 weeks sonogram and it was so special. Filled with lots of tears and smiles :) Have you narrowed down your name list yet?!?!

Nina     at 4:22 pm

October 11th is my birthday! After having a not so wonderful morning, this was the perfect thing to cheer me up! And I am SO HAPPY your baby boy looks so healthy!

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.)     at 4:24 pm

He looks like a runner indead :) hehehehe.

So much love in these posts of yours <3

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 4:24 pm

OMG there really is a person in there! Congrats on your healthy baby boy!

erica     at 4:26 pm

“typical” —LOL. i had to laugh at that. so true.

so exciting!!! love all the pics and details!

Jayna @ Healthy Living Bites     at 4:27 pm

Awww, I love seeing ultrasound pictures. . . those a FANTASTIC ones too! My placenta was in front for both of my pregnancies. I definitely didn’t feel the strong kicks you hear some women complain of. Unfortunately they can still kick your bladder though!

Lisa     at 4:33 pm

Aww, how exciting. I am so so so happy for both of you. Ultrasounds are so incredible. October 11th is my birthday! I can’t wait to see when he decides to arrive.

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy & Healthy     at 4:36 pm

ultrasounds never cease to amaze me at hour crazy and awesome having a baby is (or so I’d imagine.)
Thanks for sharing :)

Mama Pea     at 4:54 pm

That is one good looking ultrasound. I wonder how he’ll feel about older women. He could buy Lulu a pickle and she’d be his.

Kristen @ The Concrete Runner     at 5:07 pm

I’m so happy to see someone else with AWESOME ultrasound pictures! Isn’t it amazing what you can see?! He is definitely a cutie, as I would expect nothing less! I love following your pregnancy journey since I have almost the exact same due date as you (originally October 9, but now might be closer to the 13th). My placenta is also in front, but every once in awhile I get a good kick and I LOVE it more than anything in the world! My husband actually got to feel it a few days ago, so its only a matter of time! ADORABLE!

Mimi     at 5:09 pm

How exciting and amazing! I know due dates are rarely correct, but October 11 is a good day — my fiance’s birthday!

JenRD     at 5:15 pm

How amazing! I am visiting your site for the first time (via Caitlin HTP), and I am also preggers for the first time. I am due 9/10/11, so about 5 weeks ahead of you! How amazing are those ultrasounds? Just wait until you are getting more pronounced kicks. People ask me if it hurts, and even though our little kicker will sometimes keep me up at night, I just have a huge grin on my face–it is the best feeling in the world! My husband loves to feel when she is kicking, and she actually responds to his voice!
The body-changing part was (and still is) a challenge to deal with, as was the realization that I can not exercise like I used to (I am a health and fitness-loving Registered Dietitian).
Registering was so much fun (and exhausting!). We went last weekend for the first time–it is amazing how much a little baby needs!
Anyway, best of luck in your journey!

Jen

Megan H     at 5:17 pm

I’m so happy for you guys and just wanted to say that I have baby fever really bad and this post made it so much worse! haha Congrats!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 5:28 pm

ahaha oh my gosh – I was just cracking up at how he was fondling himself during the ultrasound. That is so so hilarious!

Jamie     at 5:29 pm

Yay! I am so excited for you! I got 3D ultrasounds when I was pregnant- those were pretty neat as well.

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 5:34 pm

Pregnancy is so incredibly amazing. So happy for you guys!

Brittany     at 5:34 pm

Yay for a healthy boy! how exciting :)

Sarah @ The Pajama Chef     at 5:40 pm

incredible ultrasound pics!

Shari     at 5:45 pm

Oh my goodness, this is the sweetest post. It’s incredible how much you can see on the ultrasound – and how much emotion it all stirs up. Getting to see the little heart beating has to be a moment that just transcends words.

So excited for you! :)

Rachel     at 5:57 pm

Love love love this post! I wish I’d documented our 20-week ultrasound like that. I can’t wait ’till you feel the crazy movements inside – at 20 weeks I barely felt anything, but at nearly 24 she kicks so hard it hurts! We can see my stomach bulge out whenver she lands a hard one – SO adorable, though a bit weird too.

sarah     at 6:03 pm

He is so cute! (at least in profile – you’re right, the one of his face is just confusion for me!) YAYYYY!

Krystina (Organically Me)     at 6:06 pm

This is the most touching, heart warming post I’ve read in a long time. Pregnancy is such a beautiful miracle.

Robin     at 6:09 pm

Sooo sweet! Thank you for sharing your special day! You must be thrilled!

Katherine (sisujones.wordpress.com)     at 6:38 pm

I adore how you can see his tiny foot! And the rest of him, too, but the foot pic is my fave! Congrats again! What a fun day.

alana     at 6:38 pm

Wow! What a way to kick off the weekend, pregnancy is an amazing thing :) I’m en route to Seattle, thanks for the suggestions on where to eat. Have a great weekend!

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan     at 7:41 pm

How exciting!! Congratulations! Have fun shopping for all that boy stuff. :-)

Jess (In My Healthy Opinion)     at 8:03 pm

That is SO exciting! I can’t imagine how amazing that is to see. I love reading your pregnancy updates/posts! :)

Sarah     at 8:54 pm

So cool. I can’t wait till my ultura sound. I am 17 weeks tomorrow so I have three more to go till i will found out what I am having. i can’t wait. i am hoping for a boy too.

Sana     at 9:37 pm

I am too proud of you mama!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 9:53 pm

Nope, you’re right, you have one handsome little man there! It is really the most amazing thing EVER! You have him so close to you right now. Hold on to that! I know you want him out, I felt the same way, but I miss them being in there sometimes now. My two are now a 5th grader and an 8th grader as of today! I cried the second I picked the older one up from school today. It goes so fast! I feel so lucky to be a part of their lives. They are the most amazing people on the earth and the fact that I helped create them, is the most amazing feeling. You are already such an incredible mom, Emily! I’m so happy that everything is moving in the right direction and that little CJ (Casey Jr.) is healthy!

Oh and I’m thinking about your sister too. I hope she’s feeling well and that the little one arrives safely!

megan @ the oatmeal diaries     at 10:02 pm

WOW! Congrats on a healthy little boy! I am loving these updates :)

Kath     at 10:03 pm

Wheeeeeee! So exciting!!! I hate that you’re so far away now!

Ashley     at 10:55 pm

CONGRATS!!!! That must have been such an exciting appointment. Wow :) His profile IS completely adorable. So happy for you!

Katherine     at 11:05 pm

I bet this was amazing for you, and I am happy it all went well :)

Kim     at 11:27 pm

Em, I am so happy for you. I love seeing the ultrasound pictures. How amazing a baby is…truly a miracle and a blessing. And you look simply radiant. Love ya!

Jumanah (Healthy Living in the Middle East)     at 4:07 am

So exciting! The ultrasound pictures are so amazing!

Riss     at 7:10 am

Congrats! He’s a real cutie-pie. =)

Emily     at 7:35 am

So cute! :) I meant to comment this awhile ago when I saw you were nervous about not feeling him much yet but I’m not sure I did, but I have 2 forward placentas as well. I didn’t feel my twins much at all until after 20 weeks. I would say by 22 weeks though I was getting some serious kicking so in a few weeks you should be getting lots of great kicks! At 25 weeks now I feel them all the time so it’s great! So you’ll feel him lots soon! :)

Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out     at 8:52 am

Yay!!! I remember my 20 week. It is so very fun. I always thought I wanted a girl until I had a boy. And I’m sure I would have been fine with either, but my little mad has me wrapped around his finger. He does the sweetest stuff. Like tells me I’m pretty when i look like crap. And blow me kisses. Just you wait.

Sarah     at 9:00 am

Ahhh! So exciting! Now I’m even more excited for my own 20-week appointment!

Dee     at 9:57 am

omg, this is so exciting!

Christine     at 10:10 am

Yay for placenta movement!

Jennifer (The Gourmetour)     at 10:54 am

Congrats!!!! Look at that baby!!

Kelly     at 10:55 am

That baby is beautiful! And so loved already. :)

Jaime     at 10:55 am

I feel silly. This post brought tears to my eyes (at the grocery store, no less), but it’s just so beautiful! All of it!

Lauren     at 11:46 am

Awwwww that must have been so amazing!!! What a beautiful baby boy!

Wow! I can’t believe how much you can see in ultrasounds. What an adorable little boy :)

Elizabeth @ RunWithSneakers     at 12:46 pm

He is beautiful! Thank you for sharing the ultrasound photos with us, it was fun for me to see them all.

Beth     at 1:19 pm

How exciting!! half way there to meeting your baby boy!

Angela (Oh She Glows)     at 2:05 pm

This made me tear up! So much love…what a lucky baby boy. I can’t get over how detailed the ultrasounds are nowadays…what a blessing for parents to be. The arrow pic is priceless, lol.

MaryBe     at 2:25 pm

The baby is adorable and so are you

Lauren     at 3:35 pm

He is cute! I can never see anything in people’s early ultrasounds but he really does look like a little person now!

Caitlin     at 3:38 pm

he’s ridiculously good lookin.

Anne @ The Denim Pixie     at 4:00 pm

So CUTE!!!!!

Heather     at 5:36 pm

Yay, so happy for you two! And wow, I’m in awe at being able to see his little vertebrae and heart and toes!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 6:49 pm

Congrats! Your little one looks perfect. :-)

Kayla (The Best Things..)     at 8:17 pm

I’m a new reader and I’m so happy I’ve found you. I’m a vegetarian (hopefully future mom) and I’ve always wondered about a veggie pregnancy and baby. Congrats on the first pics there!! So beautiful. I look forward to more updates!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 9:11 pm

You are making me emotional! You’re going to be a wonderful wonderful mother:)

Boys are awesome. I have an eight and a half month old son and he is the MOST fun! It’s the best thing ever. So so so so so excited for you both:)

Suzanne @ continuing my education     at 9:22 am

So glad to hear Baby Malone is strong and healthy!

Katy @ MonsterProof     at 2:29 pm

So glad it went so perfectly! I know how nervous I was before our 20 week. It’s such an amazing experience! Congrats!

Maria     at 4:18 pm

Hey Emily, I’ve been a long-time reader of your blog and really enjoy all of the different posts lately, especially with all of the changes in your life. Your pregnancy journey posts are a lot of fun to read! My husband and I have made it out to Seattle numerous times for family visits and it is gorgeous. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have! Looking forward to reading more.
Maria

Alaina     at 11:03 pm

That’s so awesome that you’re having a baby boy!!! I don’t have children yet, so I don’t know that feeling of seeing the ultrasound, but I certainly look forward to it when I do get pregnant. :-)

Stephanie @ StephSnacks     at 8:39 am

How cool! Thank you for sharing your experience with us :)

amyt     at 11:32 am

How sweet and cool!! I have to say – I LOVED using a midwife – they were so sweet…I ended up having complications and had a doc deliver, but used the midwife until…it was wonderful, they are so caring!!

Paige     at 11:59 am

Gosh it’s so crazy when you can see the baby’s bones! So amazing that that is all going on inside of you.

Gena     at 7:39 am

Precious indeed! Congrats, mama to be!

Kim     at 5:34 pm

What fun pictures!

semra     at 6:11 pm

I’m so happy for you Emily, I’m following you almost for two and half months and this is my first comment. I’m in tears, now your baby has the same due date (Oct 11)with my angle baby that i’ve lost in early march. I hope best of luck to you, thank you for sharing!! Lots of love..

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Week 20: My Pregnancy Journey.     at 8:21 pm

[...] man decides to come early, I guess we are past half-way by now!  You guys already heard about our 20-week ultrasound, so let’s get to the rest of [...]

Katie     at 8:15 pm

Yay! I’m so glad all is well with Baby Garnish. The next 20 weeks will fly, I’m sure.

I didn’t realize you were seeing a Midwives group, that’s awesome. Were you seeing a Midwife back in DC too? Are you planning an out of hospital birth? If you’re comfortable, I’d love to hear more about your decision to go the Midwife route.

Nope, planning a hospital birth, but with a midwife. I will write more about it!

Lara     at 5:26 pm

Just re-read this post, as our anatomy ultrasound is in under two weeks! I am so excited!

Whohooooo! I’m excited FOR you!