Week 17: My Pregnancy Journey.

This update is SO late in the week – whoops!  But I assure you I’ve been thinking about it all week long, and produce shopping for my weekly photo shoot was high on my list of priorities as soon as we got to Seattle!

How Big is the Baby?

Baby Garnish had a big week this week.  In addition to traveling from Ohio to Indiana, back to Ohio, and finally to Seattle (!) – he also grew to the size of a turnip!

This comes as no surprise to me, as my bump is looking large and in charge.  I don’t think there is any question that I look pregnant anymore.  I am past the “kind of pudgy” phase and into the “baby bump” phase, and I am loving it!

How I’m Changing

The only real physical change I’ve noticed this week is the growing belly.  It’s definitely popping out a lot more, and I notice it sort of pushing on things when I lean on a counter, pick up a box, etc.  I wouldn’t say it’s at the point where it’s getting in the way yet, but it’s definitely making it’s presence known.

It has also grown to the point where I am no longer comfortable laying on my stomach at all.  Sleeping has become a challenge, although the Boppy Maternity Pillow that my big sister bought me as been a HUGE help!  Poor Casey keeps claiming I have a fortress on my side of the bed, but if it helps me sleep it has to happen!

How I’m Feeling

Generally feeling pretty good.  Had one more unfortunate vomit incident on our first morning here in Seattle, but other than the constant mild nausea, I feel okay.

I had another series of horrific headaches this week, and if they continue I’m going to start using Tylenol instead of caffeine.  I have never been someone to get headaches, and they are literally leaving me incapacitated.  I can’t imagine what it is like to live with migraines.

Side note:  These are the Joe’s maternity jeans that Casey got me for my birthday.  They were outrageously expensive, but 100% worth every penny.  I wear them almost every day because they are sooo comfortable, and still make me feel like I am wearing cute clothes.  They also have the full panel, so I hope I can wear them until the very end!

What I’m Eating

Lots of take-out, since my kitchen is still in shambles!  My appetite is nowhere near what it used to be, but I’m branching out more and more each day.  I’ve been able to stomach tofu and lettuce wraps this week, which has even included some fresh greens and vegetables.  Feels so good to be eating healthy fresh food again!

I have to admit I have developed an alarming craving for something I never used to eat regularly before – baked potatoes.  Seriously, I want them morning, noon, and night.  I blame Sarena, who left a comment that when she was pregnant she loved baked potatoes with ranch dressing.  Ever since I literally read the word baked potato, it is the only thing I want to eat.  I keep suggesting we vegetarians go eat at steakhouses since I know they will have baked potato side items available!

I try to keep the potato consumption to the minimum, and eat them with healthy toppings like Greek yogurt!

Odds and Ends

The other exciting bit of news this week is that we had our 17 week pre-natal appointment yesterday!  Moving while pregnant is tricky for a number of reasons, the main one being that I needed to find a new doctor and get an appointment scheduled from 3,000 miles away.  Luckily I got a great referral from a few of Casey’s co-workers, so finding a good fit wasn’t too tough.

For a number of reasons, I wasn’t very happy with the practice I was using in Virginia, so I was excited and hopeful to meet my new doctors.  We are actually going to be using a midwife group that is based within a large hospital.  From the minute we walked into the office, I knew it was a great fit.  The people were friendly and nice, the office was clean and modern, and I really liked the midwife I met with yesterday.

I think sometimes when people hear the word midwife they picture tapestries and lava lamps in someone’s basement, but could not have been further from that.  These midwives are modern, certified, educated, and wonderful – I am so excited to be under their care.  They are also based within a hospital, and also work directly with OB/GYNs, so in the event of an emergency or if I were to need a C-section, all of those resources are immediately available to me as well.

Our appointment was great, and we got to hear Baby G’s little heartbeat beating away at 161bpm (still not convinced he is a boy…)!  Even though my belly is growing, I still can’t feel him moving at all, and I am always a little nervous that maybe something is wrong.  That heartbeat is so reassuring and amazing to hear.  He’s had a bit of a stressful week with the move, so I am glad to know he’s still doing well and feeling relaxed in my belly.

Our next appointment will be the 20 week ultrasound coming up in just a few weeks!  I can’t wait to see him again!

Random thoughts this week:

• Weight gained: finally got back on the scale – up 3 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight!
  • Boxes unpacked: approximately 25
  • Boxes remaining:  approximately 100
  • Couches in my living room:  0
  • Couches in my garage:  1
  • Bowls of soup consumed this week:  4
  • Days in Seattle:  5

Here is a list of links to the previous pregnancy posts and weekly updates…

Weekly Updates:

Pregnancy Posts:

Elisabeth     at 1:04 pm

Baby got big this week :) You’re definitely looking pregnant now, Emily – so adorable!

Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep     at 1:10 pm

Love your baby bump :)

Freya     at 1:11 pm

Hehe, your belly rivals mine after a large veggie-centered meal :P
I’m glad the vom-ness is finishing! Eck, that’s the bit I’d reaaaally struggle with :/
I hope the next week goes ok, and you sort the couch problem out :)

Kim @ girlevolving     at 1:11 pm

Our baby’s heartbeat was 165 the first time – and he is a definitely a boy (the ultrasound at 20 was VERY obvious). I felt my first flutter of movement around week 17, so get ready! So excited for you!

Donna     at 1:13 pm

Hi Emily! This is my first time posting a comment but I’ve been reading your blog for about 6 months now. You’re adorable! During my first pregnancy, I sometimes got headaches but didn’t want to take anything either. I tried something that I found in a pregnancy book (don’t remember which one!) that said to put something cool on your forehead (like an ice pack) for 30 seconds and alternate with something warm on your forehead (like a heating pad) for 30 seconds and to keep alternating them for a few minutes. I know it sounds strange, but it worked for me! Thought you would at least like to know about it! Take care!

Melissa S     at 1:16 pm

Funny craving! My first pregnancy I craved raspberries. With my second pregnancy, my weird craving was tomato and oddly in juice form. I drank a lot of V8 and virgin bloody marys.

Sorry to hear about the nausea and headaches. I had to drink about 50mg of caffeine a day to keep my nausea tolerable. Didn’t have headaches though.

Annie     at 1:16 pm

You are so adorable! I can’t tell you how much I look forward to your pregnancy updates. I’m so excited for you and being able to virtually watch the journey! :)

sarah (sarah learns)     at 1:16 pm

yay! you are such a cute pregnant lady! :) baby g definitely grew this week!

Holly @ Rust Belt Runner     at 1:17 pm

Designer maternity jeans?! SO JEALOUS.

You need to post some close up pics of those! I am trying to figure out if it’s like sweat pant material on the top or what. Look comfy!

Graze With Me     at 1:19 pm

You look fantastic! Gotta love those maternity pants, huh?

You should be feeling those little kicks any day now. I’m about the same build as you and I started feeling little pops and movements at 17 weeks. The first one felt like a little popcorn kernel popped deep inside me. By week 18 my husband was able to feel our little girl kick around and now (week 22) I can actually SEE the kicks from the outside! So strange but so fun.

I really wanted a midwife but I have a blood disorder that prevents me from going to anyone except for an actual OB – it’s unfortunate but either way I get a baby at the end so I’m happy.

Julia     at 1:21 pm

Great post, I always look forward to reading!!

Are your hands already too swollen to wear your wedding ring?

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing     at 1:21 pm

You look amazing! It’s so crazy to think you are growing life inside of you.

So glad to hear things are moving along! (No pun intended ;) )

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 1:22 pm

Oh Emily, you look amazing! The nausea is a good thing. I know it sucks, but it is good. Lots of progesterone makes for a healthy Baby G! Oh and the pillows…such best friends with pregnancy! Definitely one between the knees when your hips start to spread, but I’m sure your sister has told you all about that. I’m glad you are settling in and hopefully the stress is starting to die down. I’m thinking about your little family. Oh and yeah why is it steak houses have such good baked potatoes? Mine were from the delivery grill place next door to where I worked at the time…they were so good!

Chase     at 1:23 pm

Lookin’ good hot mama!

Molly     at 1:23 pm

Hi Emily! Glad to see you and Baby G made it to Seattle safely. Your bump is adorable – I wish I would have taken pics every week rathen than just occasionally when I noticed growth. You are shaped similarly to me so I think you’ll start feeling him very soon. The first movements for me felt like muscle spasms around week 18 then progressively got more kick like. Now at almost 28 weeks they are almost constant and so fun to feel!

Theresa @ This is my Hungry Face     at 1:23 pm

I love reading your updates! You look great :)

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet     at 1:25 pm

Whoooo, hello baby bump!

Wow I did not know that Joe’s made maternity jeans! How awesome and sweet of Casey :)

And I wonder what you’re going to do with that turnip…hahah

katie     at 1:26 pm

OMG! Your belly looks AWESOME!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 1:26 pm

Love the full panel jeans. They end up being more comfortable than the low panel ones in my opinion too.

Also – I used a midwife with both pregnancies and liked it so much. That’s great you found a practice that offers that option and that you feel comfortable and happy with. :)

Janene @ One Run at a Time     at 1:31 pm

You have the world’s most adorable baby bump!! :)

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 1:31 pm

Joes Jeans are great – pregnant or not. Good find!

Brooke @ bittersweetb     at 1:33 pm

I always look forward to these posts! It’s so interesting to see and hear about all the changes.
You look great!

Alyson     at 1:33 pm

Yay for midwives. :) I had two of my seven babies at home, with midwives. My prenatal appointments were always at their homes in a cosy environment, but I definitely don’t think of lava lamps and hippies when I think of midwives. I know you’re really weighing the know-how, the experience, and the safety and factoring that in with the birth experience you really want. Kudos!

mrianda @working mom works out     at 1:35 pm

Aww!! Look at your little Preggo Belly!! Adorable!!

I didn’t feel my son move till about 20-22 weeks. It’ll happen. And it’s the COOLEST feeling.

Gina @ RunningtotheKitchen     at 1:37 pm

Love the baby bump! You look so great :) Glad you are happy with the new midwives I can imagine it was stressful to have to switch doctors in the middle of everything else.

Katie     at 1:44 pm

Wow, this is my first comment but I have been reading your blog for a while now. I love your pregnancy posts especially! I am training to be a Midwife (I am from the UK) so glad you are happy with the midwives! Glad the move went well too.

Michelle (your girlfriend for fitness)     at 1:45 pm

You are looking great! Cute necklace, I have always loved those… so classic.

Ché @ Knight at the Restaurant     at 1:49 pm

I’m curious – what makes a midwife birth different from a regular birth? I always thought midwife births were at home, but it sounds like yours is in the hospital? Why did you choose a midwife?

(I know nothing about any of this – I’d be interested in hearing about it firsthand. Post topic, perhaps?)

brandy Reply:

I used a midwife and wasn’t really sure what the difference was either, but the nurse explained it basically saying that midwifes take more time with you and say a dr. I ended up having a csection anyway.

ginna Reply:

A midwife is a nurse with advanced training in midwifery and can therefore take care of pregnant women and deliver babies. Just like a Nurse practitioner who is a nurse with advanced training in a certain field (family, pediatrics). I may be biased because I am a Family Nurse Practitioner but I do believe NPs and Midwives give you more one on one attention and that special nurses touch. Advance nurses are taught to take care of the whole person, physically, emotionally and spiritually whereas physician practice is based on the medical model.

brandy     at 1:49 pm

I just wanted to tell you, i love reading your blog! It’s my favorite one to read! Congrats on the move I love just south of seattle near Tacoma. When i was pregnant I craved seafood all the time!

Tanya @ Vegan Faith     at 1:50 pm

Your baby bump is precious! I just love following along on your journey. I am glad you are in and I’m sorry to hear about the couch not fitting. Thank you for keeping it real on here and sharing your emotions and feelings. I really enjoy your blog!

Lauren     at 1:53 pm

Emily – I love these posts and I am not even pregnant. It is so amazing to see your progress. I know you may not always feel this way, but pregnancy suits you. Your little bump is adorable!

Becky     at 1:53 pm

I love your weekly updates. A few more blogs I’m reading right now are also doing weekly updates (do you read Girl’s Gone Child? She’s due around the same time as you…WITH TWINS! Oh dear!). I love them!

The mom in me is concerned about the headaches for you. I’m sure you have, but make sure you mention them to your midwives. In combination with other symptoms, they can be dangerous. I am positive that you know this but would feel awful if you didn’t. I’m really not trying to scare you, I promise! Just want you to continue being your happy, healthy self. :)

Brittany @ a healthy slice of life     at 1:57 pm

Oh fun you definitely have a baby bump now- so precious!! I’m not convinced you’re having a boy yet either so I can’t wait to hear about your 20 week appt! :)

Kristen @ The Concrete Runner     at 2:07 pm

Aren’t those weeks between office visits difficult, especially when you’re not feeling any movement yet?! I am almost 19 weeks and am still not quite convinced I felt the baby yet – I guess I just think I should be feeling it constantly and know exactly what it is! You have also been SWAMPED and stressed lately, so once you get a chance to get settled, I’m sure you’ll start noticing something. But, I agree – I am constantly worried something is wrong since I haven’t really felt anything yet. Loving your cute little baby bump!

Namaste Gurl     at 2:11 pm

You look great- and not to mention an oh- so- pretty mama to be! :)
Loved hearing all the updates. Hang in there!

brandi     at 2:12 pm

So cute! Those jeans do look super comfy.

I remember reading that Sherry (from Young House Love) craved and ate baked potatoes when she was pregnant, too – funny! :)

Kate @ NaturaStride     at 2:18 pm

You look adorable and definitely pregnant! Glad your whole family made the move safe and sound and you can finally relax a bit in your new home :)
PS: I love your necklace!

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 2:22 pm

Little man is gettin big! You look so precious with your little baby bump :)

Jennifer (The Gourmetour)     at 2:26 pm

you look BEAUTIFUL! I hope the couch situation works itself out SOON

colleen     at 2:35 pm

You and the bump are looking great! I remember those restless nights so well. I went through two body pillows with three kids – can’t imagine not having them.

Kristy@RunTheLongRoad     at 2:35 pm

Look at your cute belly! Those jeans are amazing. You look great!

Lisa     at 2:46 pm

Awww, I love your belly!!! Keep growing, Baby Garnish!!

Maryann     at 2:47 pm

Those jeans are amazing. Wish I had those 30 yrs. ago. You look terrific and so does baby garnish. Good you have found a great OB/GYN group that really helps you feel good. You have so much yet to come baby classes, tour of hospital all such fun take advantage of it all. I used to work in OB and miss it.
Blessings in your new adventure,
Lancaster Co PA Gal

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 2:52 pm

Eee! Your bump is so cute! I can’t wait until I can talk my husband into letting me buy cute designer maternity jeans.

kathleen     at 2:55 pm

You are looking so stylish in your cute jeans. Glad you found a good doctor. It’s so fun to read these updates, now I’m craving a baked potato ;)

Laura     at 2:56 pm

My mother in law said that when she had her first pregnancy about 49 years ago (if that math sounds confusing, my husband is 12 years older than me and his oldest sister is eight years older than him!) she had to make her own maternity pants because her only option was to wear huge, tent like dresses. She said she just cut a big dip in the front of the pants and had a drawstring that went around the back and tied in the front. She just wore long shirts over the top to hid the big belly hanging out of her pants! haha Thank goodness there are better options now.

Nikki T     at 2:59 pm

What a beautiful pregnant girlie you are! And those jeans are awesome!! Where are they from?? (I’m taking notes for my possibly-within-the-next-year pregnancy!)
I totally get ya on the headaches…a minor headache puts me down and out, I can’t imagine frequent migraines!
Hope they go away SOON!!

Anne @ The Denim Pixie     at 3:01 pm

You look ADORABLE!!!!!

Elizabeth     at 3:04 pm

You look so cute!! The bump definitely suits you. It’s funny because I use the same boppy (I’m 22 weeks) and my husband also says I have this barrier around me :) oh well, as long as you sleep comfortably. Good luck unpacking

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen     at 3:05 pm

As someone who gets mirgaines a couple times a month, I really feel your pain on the headache front. Hang in there!!

Your baby bump is adorable!!

Ashley     at 3:34 pm

Hooooray baby turnip!!!! So funny about the baked potatoes. I love turning them into pizza baked potatoes or Mexican style. Add beans, salsa or sauce + cheese [maybe spinach too] then broil! SO GOOD and adds some protein with the beans! I’m so happy that the baby is healthy and things are well. That bump is seriously too cute!!! xoxoxox

Katie     at 3:38 pm

I craved potatoes like crazy when I was pregnant. I was eating them daily in every way possible, even tater tots :(

Glad baby is safe and snug. Good luck unpacking.

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.)     at 3:48 pm

Cuuuuuute baby bump!!!!!! :) You are going to be such a wonderful momma! I can just tell how much you love the little baby G from reading your blog posts… they ooze love.

So excited for you Casey and the pups! I hope you settle in nicely to your new home!

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) Reply:

Ps. Do you remember the old Wendy’s commercials? The “Ranch Tooth”?? It’s like you have a “Potato tooth” right now hahaha :D

Jamie @ FoodinRealLife     at 4:01 pm

You look great! Just wondering why you are trying to keep the potato consumption to a minimum? They are actually really good for you and can be a vehicle for lots of healthy toppings once you’re ready for more variety!

Lauren     at 4:14 pm

Emily,

Welcome to Seattle…glad to have you and Casey and the soon to be newest Baby Garnish! I saw in your previous post you checked out the Flying Apron bakery. I’m not sure if you are hooked into the Groupon system but today’s Seattle Groupon is for 1/2 of Flying Apron…check it out:

I have yet to check out Flying Apron but I just might with this deal!

Hannah     at 4:15 pm

You look great!! There is definitely a baby in there!

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me     at 4:22 pm

Your belly is still so little!! So cute!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking)     at 4:36 pm

Now that you mention it… a baked potato does sound amazing!

Ida     at 4:42 pm

I love joe’s jeans. knowing that they make maternity jeans really excites me.
Love these posts- the weeks seem to be flying by!

Mama Pea     at 4:45 pm

A turnip? Already?!?! I swear by body pillows during pregnancy. I have a HUGE yellow one. His name is Banana Joe. He still sleeps over sometimes :)

Emily     at 4:49 pm

You look adorable, congratulations on making it through the move :) Since it is your first pregnancy I thought I would share a book recommendation with you: http://www.amazon.com/Ina-Mays-Guide-Childbirth-Gaskin/dp/0553381156, Someone gave this book to me during my first pregnancy and I absolutely loved it. The first half is all birth story narratives and the second half is simply information about the birthing process by the amazing midwife Ina Gaskin. Before I read the book I was a little anxious about the whole birth process and felt so in the dark, but after I felt much more comfortable, educated and excited. I hope you get the chance to read it!

Katherina     at 4:53 pm

What a cute belly!
I have a doula friend who recommended this book to me as someone who is just generally interested in birth and I totally think you should read it. It’s written by a midwife who practiced in many different types of settings and I think it reminds you how strong you are and what you’re capable of! It’s called Baby Catcher – http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Catcher-Chronicles-Modern-Midwife/dp/0743219333

Gina     at 5:06 pm

Aw, your baby bump is super cute!!! Glad you found a great fit with a new medical facility!

Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit     at 5:11 pm

i LOVE these pregnancy updates! it makes me so excited to see the changes that happen every week! it’s amazing! :)

Katie @ Shared Bites     at 5:19 pm

Awww, you look totally prego now! So cute! And so glad you like the new docs – makes all the difference.

Lindsay     at 5:36 pm

Cute! It’s definitely fun to get out of the “is she getting fat??” stage and into the “oh, cute, she’s pregnant!” stage. I’m anxiously awaiting that transition right now.

I had a OB for my first two and then a midwife (based in a group of OBs, like yours) for my third and I way preferred the midwife. She made a world of difference for my labor!

lena     at 6:11 pm

You look great, love that baby bump!

Kath     at 6:27 pm

From the front I was like “hmmm. It’s a bump” But from the SIDE!!!!!!!! You’re definitely pregnant!

I feel so dumb when I leave comments like that ^^ but it is SO fun to watch someone grow!!! Haha.

Glad you guys are there safe and sound. We’ve never had this many miles between us!

katie     at 6:30 pm

you look great! and those jeans are awesome, if I had them I would probably keep wearing them after the birth because they look so cute and comfy!
you had me at baked potato, I literally walked straight to my pantry and roasted up a bunch of small red potatoes and topped them with greek yogurt! Its funny how you can simply hear or read about a certain food and you MUST have it.

Katie     at 6:40 pm

Hi Emily, Lurker here… love your blog! You are a VERY cute pregnant lady :) Just wanted to pass along a bit of info – take it with a grain of salt since I have never had a baby… but my friend was quite tormented with headaches during her pregnancy as well and got relief from a chiropractor. Also, her son had ear infections as a baby and also was able to avoid getting tubes in his ears by seeing a chiropractor who helped drain his ears – she also went vegan at the time so its hard to know 100% what happened. Anyway, just a bit of info!

Audrey     at 6:42 pm

These updates are so fun to see.

That image of the midwife with lava lamps and tapestry cracked me up.

Oh, and I LOVE your cameo necklace. :)

Melly Sue     at 6:54 pm

Happy to hear that pregnancy is treating you well. I own one pair of Joe’s jeans, purchased at least 5 years ago, and they have been worth every penny. It helps one’s outlook on the day so much to have a simple article of clothing that makes one feel chic and glamorous.

Alaina     at 7:16 pm

Ah, I hope I’m as cute as you when I get pregnant. :-) Hope everything is going well with the move!

Emily     at 8:41 pm

Don’t worry about not feeling him (maybe her? haha I dunno, my boy has a pretty fast heart beat so don’t let that trick you! haha) kick yet. I’m 23 weeks pregnant with twins and still hardly feel them at all. I got myself really worked up as pregnant friends were starting to feel baby kicks as early at 16 weeks. I feel them, but it’s still very faint and only the past week or 2. They found out both of the placentas are anterior so they face my belly so that blocks the kicks. My ob and perinatologist both say it’s fine that I don’t feel them, but it still worries me sometimes. But everything is A-ok so far so don’t freak out like I did! haha you’ll feel him soon enough :)

Kris     at 9:03 pm

Your bump is adorable! Three words — baked potato soup. So delish and easy. Another thing to try once your kitchen is in operation.

Cait @ Beyond Bananas     at 9:05 pm

Whenever I get pregnant.. the thing I am fearing the most.. is the moment when I can no longer sleep on my stomach..because I can’t sleep any other way.

As I have said many times before.. I LOVE these posts!

Lauren     at 9:30 pm

Wow! Congratulations on surviving the big move and keeping the baby healthy too! I am not sure if you remember me, but we met at Kath’s blogger meetup a little while ago. I am a teenage girl and have just started my own blog! If you get a chance to check it out, that would be wonderful and I would be so honored! Thank you for being an inspiration for me to start a blog! -Lauren teeneatlive.wordpress.com

Meagan     at 9:57 pm

Your stomach looks great! I would think he is a bit bigger than a turnip by now, but guess not :)

Sarah @ The Strength of Faith     at 10:46 pm

Have you tried putting ice packs on either your eyes or the back of your head? I’ve had some friends had success with that …

Karolina     at 11:27 pm

Love the baby bump- those are some cute pictures. Sorry that your headaches are getting worse! Sometimes with my headaches it helps to run right under the base of my skull on the back of my neck. Do you think these are associated with allergies at all?

Tofu_Mom (Marti Miller Hall)     at 12:01 am

Just found your Twitter, which lead me here, mostly looking at the vegetarian recipes because that’s my thing, though CONGRATS are definitely in order too!! Awesome!!… Had no idea you were in Seattle until I read the above post. Wow. You JUST moved here. Cool!!
If you need any ideas or anything, feel free to ask, but as you’ve probably discovered, Seattle has a GREAT veg community and a gazillion awesome veg friendly spots.

Stephanie @ StephSnacks     at 12:05 am

Thank you so much for sharing such a special journey with us! You’re going to have such a well taken care of baby :) I bet he can’t wait to meet you!

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed     at 1:00 am

Great update :) yes you can DEFINITELY tell baby G is growing, you look fantastic. I’m getting clucky! & I’m with you, if you wear the jeans a lot, then expense is worth it. Oh & potatoes are totally healthy – lots of vitamin C! mmmmm baked potato craving now :)
Heidi xo

Emily     at 1:33 am

I don’t know if you or Casey would be interested, but there is a five-mile race on Sunday. It is called “Beat the Bridge” and supports the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Thought you two might enjoy being able to get away from the boxes for a bit – it is on Sunday morning and starts and finishes at the Husky Stadium. Check it out if you are interested!

Kimberly     at 1:46 am

Hi Emily! I am watching the Cooking Channel and they are doing a piece on pies and there’s an amazing bakery called High Five Pie in Seattle. If I could go there, I would, like tomorrow! But since you live there, I think you should and you’ll probably be happy you did. How does marionberery pie or pie in a jar sound? Nummy!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine     at 8:18 am

That’s definitely a baby bump- and you’re absolutely glowing!! Is it bad that those jeans look super comfy and I kind of want a pair? Jeans that look and feel good are always a wise investment. Glad everything is still going well!!

Jill B.     at 10:18 am

You’re radiating beauty!
Loved the tidbit about the body pillow… it helps if you name it ;) I named mine “Raúl” and told my husband that the pillow was my latino lover and that was closest he was ever getting to a threesome. ha ha – that whole sentence just seems wrong since you don’t know who the heck I am… but hopefully you get a laugh out of it! :)

Lauren     at 11:17 am

Yay, so glad to hear the baby is doing well :) It’s funny to hear you call him “Baby G” because we call my nephew that!

Beth     at 11:53 am

You look great! My baby bump is really starting to come in now, it is such a great feeling.

Jak’s Grill has great dry baked potatoes and they have a great veggie skewer entree. They have three locations, near University Village, West Seattle and Issaqauh. It is so good!

YUM! I think we might try that tonight. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 6:10 pm

Baby G is growing so big! :) Don’t worry about not feeling him quite yet. My sister didn’t feel much until about 20 weeks, and now the baby is moving nonstop! Those are the nicest pregnancy jeans I’ve ever seen! You’re such a cute pregnant lady!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey Reply:

oh yeah – and I think I eat a baked sweet potato about every other day.

Katy (The Singing Runner)     at 8:58 pm

You look so adorable! I love these updates!!! :D

Devon @FastFoodie     at 11:34 pm

I am confused why eating a baked potato is a bad thing? Baked potatoes are not inherently bad or cause for alarm. Could be worse, you could be craving things that are actually nutrient poor.

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts     at 2:21 am

I love these updates :) I’m glad your new midwife practice ticks all the boxes – midwives are perhaps more common in Australia, which you might be reassured to hear. I hope the headaches clear up though, not fun at all.

Lauren     at 2:36 am

Hi Emily :) Have you heard of the documentary The Business of Being Born? I highly, highly recommend seeing it – it talks a lot about natural childbirth, and is truly an amazing, eye-opening film. There is also a great follow-up book called Your Best Birth. Both of these have changed mine and several girlfriends views on childbirth. Anyway, just wanted to share with you :)

Tara @ trulysimplebits     at 10:33 am

I just came across this on etsy and thought of you, since you’re the only person I can think of who’s pregnant right now (believe it or not). If I were pregnant I’d be ordering one right away :)

congrats on the move and hope everything is settling well for you! I moved from the east coast of Canada to California a year ago. It’s been a big change but we love it here! Hope all is well in Seattle :)

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 9:01 pm

Oh don’t worry about the movement. I was almost 19 weeks along before I felt my little pumpkin and he was an ACTIVE boy once he got going. I was sick for a long time too and didn’t gain any weight until I was about twenty two weeks along! Mostly because I lost so much.

You look amazing! Have you noticed your hips widening? If so, it may be a girl but if not, I’d say it’s a boy. You are almost all belly.

Charise     at 9:39 am

Ahh, your baby bumb IS obvious and adorable now! :)

Ali @ Around the VeggieTable     at 12:42 pm

YEP that’s definitely a baby bump! You are too cute :)

April     at 3:22 pm

Hi Emily~
I am wondering how you determine what size maternity jeans to buy? Did you buy your ‘normal’ size or go up a size?
Thank you!

Jess     at 4:44 pm

I’m using a midwife as well. I LOVE the practice!

jessica     at 11:05 am

I love your idea of relating baby size to fruits/veg. I think I might use that when and if I ever get pregnant!

It seems you have a healthy sense of self-awareness but just like most pregnant women, sometimes you just need to be told good things to combat those days where you may just feel “blah”. So let me tell you…you are super cute pregnant. Some women just look super cute pregnant for some reason. You’re one of them. Your little baby bump is so adorable.

Thanks for sharing your journey and glad to see things are settling down in Seattle!

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Week 18: My Pregnancy Journey.     at 3:38 pm

[...] like just yesterday we were talking about the 17 week update, doesn’t it?  But that one was way late due to moving week, and I wanted to get us back on [...]

Allison @ Happy Tales     at 12:13 am

That is TOO FUNNY about the baked potato! When my mom was pregnant with me she said she craved baked potatoes ALL THE TIME! I think that is why I have never really enjoyed baked potatoes…i know, how sad, right? (BTW, I’m my mom’s only biological kid– she adopted 3 others– so she doesn’t have anything to compare her only pregnancy cravings to).

Caroline     at 2:52 pm

Jeez, you look so fit! I’m nowhere near the point where I’m ready for a baby, but I hope to develop a more consistent habit of working out (including strength! that’s a toughy for me) so that once the morning sickness passes, I can continue to stay strong while pregnant. Love the cut between your hips and your adorable baby bump! And I’d believe it’s a boy, just from the old wives tale that boys are carried lower than girls!

Thanks Caroline!

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Maple Cinnamon Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes.     at 12:10 pm

[...] have made no secret of the fact that my second trimester has been all about baked potatoes.  And while baked potatoes are wonderful, I think Casey would like to see a little more [...]

How to Survive Moving While Pregnant | Being Pregnant     at 1:36 pm

[...] of insanity.  But we did it anyways – we moved 3,000 miles away from everyone we knew (while 17 weeks pregnant!), and we lived to laugh (and cry) about it.  Here are just a few strategies for surviving moving [...]

My Group Prenatal Care. | Daily Garnish     at 3:06 pm

[...] a few days after our moving truck was unloaded, I had my 17 week check up appointment – my first with the new midwives.  After this first appointment, we were told that we had [...]

Experiencing Group Prenatal Care | Being Pregnant     at 10:13 am

[...] a few days after our moving truck was unloaded, I had my 17 week check up appointment – my first with the new midwives.  After this first appointment, we were told that we had two [...]

Experiencing Group Prenatal Care     at 7:07 pm

[...] our moving truck was unloaded, I had my 17-week check up appointment – my first with the new midwives.  after this [...]

New beginnings     at 5:13 am

Very inspiring and interesting blog! God bless you and your baby!

FirstTimePreggo     at 7:19 am

Oh my gosh, now I’M craving baked potatoes!! I’m at week 8 of my first pregnancy, and SUPER nauseous- not throwing up, just constantly feeling sick. I’ve also been getting a lot of headaches, and i noticed that they are generally worse when i haven’t gotten a lot of rest the night before. Maybe try taking a nap in the middle of the day?

Usc Trojans     at 12:15 pm

This game was a shock to most of those who
follow college football, but was exactly what UCLA coach Karl Dorrell and
his entire team and their supporters expected.
Currently Veronica is in the process of applying for a
Guinness World Record for inspiring more albums
than anyone else alive. ‘We are dedicated to making our care for heart failure patients among the best in
the country.

Singing Lessons     at 12:36 am

That’s why it’s important to practice, practice, practice if you want to maximize your singing potential.
When he was ten, he helped support his family with various jobs, but his love of
cooking continued throughout his life. Start your dream
by finding an excellent teacher to help you enhance your vocals and boost your confidence.

risingtidebook.com     at 11:05 am

Great weblog here! Additionally your web site quite a
bit up fast! What web host are you the usage of?
Can I get yor affiliate link for your host? I wish
my website loaded up as fst as yours lol

The First Half of Pregnancy: A Photo Journey « cj     at 5:31 pm