Week 18: My Pregnancy Journey.

Seems like just yesterday we were talking about the 17 week update, doesn’t it?  But that one was way late due to moving week, and I wanted to get us back on track!

How Big is the Baby?

My updates have now switched from “your baby is as BIG as…” to “your baby is as LONG as…” and this week he is as long as a bell pepper!  Apparently that’s about 5.5 inches long – seems big to me!  (Sorry the photos are a little dark – Seattle is just too sunny today!)

How I’m Changing

Back in my first trimester, spent heaving over the toilet bowl, other moms and preggos constantly told me that the end was near and that I would feel an amazing surge of energy in the second trimester.  I didn’t believe one word of it while I munched on my saltines, but I realized yesterday as I was tearing through unpacking that the burst is most definitely here!

Long gone are my mid-day naps and early bedtimes.  The second trimester combined with the excitement (and stress!) of moving has made me highly motivated to get as much done as possible.  I’m going all day, switching back and forth between working and unpacking – trying to get us settled quickly so that we can jump back into “normal” life.  It is so nice to have energy again!

Physical changes are pretty limited at this point to the growing stomach, which appears to be bigger every day.  I still get boob soreness here and there, but they seem to have stopped growing for now.  I did notice one kind of weird new physical change this week, and I am going to tell you about it and then hope and pray that you don’t all immediately click unsubscribe and go running…

My stomach is hairier.  There, I said it.  I am actually not a hairy person at all, and prior to pregnancy I just had the wispy fine hair on my body that we all have.  The hair is still wispy and fine, but I feel like the hair on my stomach is longer and a little darker than it used to be.  Nothing anyone would notice other than me, but I still find it kind of disturbing.

Okay, let’s talk about something else.

How I’m Feeling

Feeling good!  Feeling excited, nervous, and amazed that we are almost at the half-way point.  Time is FLYING!  I’m trying to read and research as much as I can (without going overboard), and be as prepared as one can ever be for this new arrival.  Check out the “real life baby” size on the iPad app this week!  Craaaazy.

Even though I’m feeling great, I did get some slightly upsetting news this morning.  The nurse from my doctor’s office called to let me know that my thyroid levels came back high, which means I have slight hypothyroidism.  Apparently my levels are normal for non-pregnancy, but the window narrows during pregnancy, and I am just outside of it.

For no particular reason, I found this news to be upsetting.  While I fully realize that I did nothing to cause or contribute to the condition, I can’t shake the nagging feeling that I did something wrong.  Starting tomorrow, I will have to take a daily medication, which I am also not thrilled about.  I have always been happy to be mediation-free, but of course I am willing to do anything for my health and the health of Baby G.

It was a little shocking to hear first thing this morning, but now that I’ve had time to process it, I’m trying to see it as a little bump in the road on an otherwise healthy journey to baby.

What I’m Eating

All through my 1st trimester, I was also told that my appetite would return and food would feel normal again.  Now at 18 weeks, well into my 2nd trimester, I am assuming that the “normal eating” boat has passed me by.  I know some people struggle with food the whole way through their pregnancies, and I think I’m just simply going to be one of them.

The good news is, I have found a lot of new foods to enjoy, and new ways to enjoy things that don’t sound quite so tasty to me anymore.  Baked potatoes are still my drug of choice, but this week I also managed to add bell peppers, mushrooms, lettuce, broccoli, and sweet potatoes to the grocery cart.

Odds and Ends

I still haven’t started wearing maternity shirts, but I’m realizing I may need to soon.  Mine are all starting to creep up and not feel long enough, and I am getting a weird fabric stretching effect between my belly and boobs that kind of makes me look like Santa Claus.  Maternity jeans are an every day occurrence now.  Hi Huey!

I feel very lucky that I don’t actually have to go into an office and invest in an entire wardrobe full of maternity business clothes!  There is definitely money to be made on maternity wear, and most of the things I have found are very over-priced.  So far I’ve managed with 2 pairs of maternity jeans, 2 pairs of over-sized Old Navy shorts, 1 pair of maternity yoga pants, 1 pair of maternity dress pants, and 1 pair of maternity bermuda shorts.  Trying to hold out as long as I can for anything else!

Buying for Baby

This probably sounds like a really random purchase, but I got really excited when I picked these up at Target yesterday… baby hangers!  Look how cute and small they are compared to a regular adult hanger.

Even though I’ve spent endless hours browsing the baby aisles at places like Target, Gap, and Old Navy, I have resisted buying anything quite yet since I know there is still plenty of time.  But Baby Garnish is most definitely spoiled already by all his loving friends and family members!  Check out the loot he has received recently…

Denison and Dayton University onesies from Uncle Kirt and Aunt Katie, so that he can proudly promote his mom and dad’s alma maters!  TOO cute.

Adorable brown and blue onesie set from Grandma Holcombe (weird – since that is what I actually call MY Grandma.  In this case I’m referring to my mom.)  I love this color combo!

And Mimi Malone (I think that’s what Tina decided she wants to be called!) went a little crazy at Baby Gap and sent all sorts of adorable items.  Included was this giraffe sleeper…

And this adoooorable fuzzy bunny outfit.  It even has a removable tail!  Baby’s first Halloween?  Hopefully it still fits him for Easter too.

There are shelves to be hung, boxes to be unpacked, and carpets to be vacuumed, but instead I spent my morning hanging tiny clothes on tiny hangers.  I’m easy to please.

Next week is a big one – we have our first group prenatal appointment (more on that to come), and our highly anticipated 20-week ultrasound next Friday!  Can’t wait to see him again!

Here is a list of links to the previous pregnancy posts and weekly updates…

Weekly Updates:

Pregnancy Posts:

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga)     at 3:45 pm

Emily, you look AMAZING!! Your pregnancy is just flying by (for me at least, sitting on the sidelines…ha!)

When I was 18 weeks, I looked about like you did. I never gained much weight, never really had an appetite, I was realllllly “morning” sick the entire preg up til about 35 weeks…but I tried my best to eat what I could keep down. Glad you’re trying your best too and you look great. You’re glowing!

Congrats on the Tar-jay purchases. So fun!!!

Happy (almost) halfway mark!

Thanks Averie!

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 3:45 pm

Don’t feel bad about the hypothryoidism. It’s pretty common and easily treatable.

Callie     at 3:45 pm

Oh the hairy tummy. I can totally relate. But learn from my mistake. I bought an “at home” wax kit to try to get rid of that business. I didn’t realize that many pregnant women have very sensitive skin during pregnancy. When I waxed my belly, I took off the first layer of skin in some spots!!! Not only did it hurt, it left my tummy looking even worse. Not everyone has this experience, but I did so I just felt like I needed to share!

HILARIOUS. Sad that it hurt you, but funny when you think about it. :)

Kari Reply:

I’m plagued with the hairy tummy too (I’m 15 weeks) and just bought an at-home wax kit. I’ve been trying to get the courage to use it, but now I think I’ll just suck it up and stay hairy. I don’t need to be losing any skin!

Marcella     at 3:45 pm

I love the pregnancy journey updates and look forward to them every week! Everyone always tells you what to expect, but it’s really awesome to follow your journey week by week. Although I don’t know much about hypothyroidism during pregnancy, I’m sure you and your doctors are doing everything proper and necessary to ensure the health of you and your baby!

Laine     at 3:45 pm

My little sister has taken thyroid meds with both of her pregnancies. It helps her have a healthy pregnancy, and my niece and nephew came out perfect! You look so great!

amanda @ fake ginger     at 3:46 pm

So glad to hear that your energy has come back! It’s a wonderful feeling to be able to accomplish things ever.

I’m on pregnancy #3 and I’ve yet to buy anything maternity besides a pair of jeans. Just can’t bear to spend the money. I just buy shirts one size larger and by the time the pregnancy is over, they’ve usually shrunk enough to fit my post-baby belly!

mrianda @working mom works out     at 3:47 pm

I love your updates!! I can’t wait for your 20 Wk either!!!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin     at 3:48 pm

You are looking so awesome Emily! I love reading these updates and seeing and reading about all the changes you are going through.

Those little baby hangers would totally make my day too – so cute!

Jennnnn     at 3:48 pm

I had pregnancy induced hypothyroidism as well and took the pill while I was pregnant. After I delivered my levels were within normal range again and have been normal ever since. I still have them checked once a year because hypothyroidism runs in my family.

Glad to hear it went back to normal!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 3:50 pm

Just wait until you get the lower back hair. Oh, yes. It happens. LOL

Oh god. I’m not going to look at my backside then. Too scary.

Freya     at 3:50 pm

He’s getting so big! I think he looks bigger in the app pic than the pepper – but I think that’s cos he looks so real – it’s kinda scary!
I love your honesty re the hair! That’s one of the reasons why I read your blog :) It’s refreshing!

Thanks Freya!

Kelly     at 3:50 pm

I totally have new hair popping up in odd places too.. Everything seems longer and thicker than normal.. Not cool, hair! lol

Gina @ RunningtotheKitchen     at 3:52 pm

I just love these updates! You look great and those outfits are adorable.

Lauren     at 3:52 pm

Wow you look awesome and good to hear that you’re feeling better and have more energy! I can’t believe how fast your baby is growing! I always imagine pregnancy as being this super long process that involves almost a year of your life, but after hearing you share your experience it seems like its more of something that just REALLY flies by!

It’s definitely going by more quickly than I thought it would!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme)     at 3:52 pm

Ok, random note, I remember watching Bethenny Getting Married and her complaining about hairiness on the stomach as well! So you’re clearly not alone :)

Haha awesome – make me feel better!

Katie KS     at 3:53 pm

My 1st pregnancy I never really felt like I was eating “normally.” This one, I would say “normal-ish” eating resumed around 20-21 weeks. Of course I did get stomach flu on Mother’s Day so that threw a few things off … But now at 24+ weeks, I would say I can eat almost anything. I still get heartburn from more than I usually would but it doesn’t taste bad or make me feel sick as I eat/smell it. Mostly tomato anything, onions, garlic seem to be the heartburn culprits. I can’t think of much else right now … and just go buy maternity shirts already. You make me feel huge :) I was in them at 12 weeks!!! Also, my son has only one outfit and a pack of sports onesies (plus hand-me-down gender neutral stuff) so your kid is definitely better dressed!

From what I hear, you show much earlier with baby #2, so it makes sense that you were in maternity gear at 12 weeks. Tomatoes are still not an option for me. Except for pizza sauce…

Em     at 3:59 pm

I love your pregnancy posts! I am at 7 weeks and I am so thankful to have your posts to let me know whats ahead. your honesty is truly a comfort!

Congrats to you!

Ella Reply:

Me too – I’m at just 5 weeks and it’s fun seeing where you’re at. (also – first time commenter here, the baby posts just get me all excited!)

Noelle     at 3:59 pm

Emily, I am sorry to hear the news about your hypothyroidism but I would get a second opinion. I was told the SAME thing last week at my appt and they said that my thyroiud looked fine but some lab numbers were low. I have a naturopath I go to and he told me and predicted that my numbers would come back and physicians would want me to go on medication. He said that all women when getting pregnant and receiving lab numbers TSH and thyroid levels will come out “low” but in reality they are really normal. He said to stay on my vitamins for healthy thyroid (which are all herbal and safe for prgnancy) and not worry about it. So that is my say, if you are not happy get a second opinion. Hope this is a little comforting.

Interesting… I have another appt next week, so we’ll see what they say then! My numbers were HIGH though, not low, so who knows. I was pretty surprised.

Colleen Reply:

Hi Emily,
I wouldn’t worry about taking the medication. I had to have my thyroid removed a few years ago because of a malignant lump and have been on replacement medication ever since. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant so my endocrinologist and fertility doctors have both explained the importance of having my levels within a normal range during pregnancy. I’m sure the medicine will level everything off for you.
Good luck!

Thanks Colleen! Very reassuring. :)

bitt Reply:

I have nonpregnancy related hypothyroidism and I was really reluctant to get on the medicine. But it did help with energy. It can take awhile to get on the right dose. An ND actually prescribed it for me for awhile. They wanted me to go on animal product “natural” gladulars (which I think have since been taken off the market) but I went with the synthetic for ethical reasons. I hope it helps you and the baby out.

Thanks Bitt! Me too – we’ll see how it goes.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 4:00 pm

I wish you lived closer…I have tons of little hangers that I now I have to get rid of since my boys are getting so big. You look amazing and now I’m craving baked potatoes! I’m glad you’re doing well even with having to go on medication. We do what we have to for our children even when they are still in the womb. You are already such a great mom!

Thanks Sarena!

Amanda @ Cucina Amanda     at 4:03 pm

You’re such a cute pregnant woman! I seriously love these posts which is incredibly weird since I’m very, very far away from having a baby.

Another thing Baby Garnish will absolutely love is a Sophie Giraffe. My 7 month old nephew has one, and it’s his favorite toy! There’s something about it that every baby I know loves!

Kelly Reply:

A little baby lost her giraffe at my work and it was found after they had already left and it was named Sophie! I didn’t know it was so popular haha

Meagan     at 4:04 pm

Hypothyroidism is often diagnosed in individuals who consume lots of soy and soy products. I wish you would rethink you stand on soy and do some more research. Soy is extremely goitrogenic, and suppresses thyroid function. It KILLS your thyroid. I ate soy products for about a year, and it killed me. I have to take medication now. I don’t mind it, and want it, but I wish I had known about soy and it’s affects before I ever ate it.

That rabbit suit is ADORABLE. It must be nice to be receiving mail at your new place?

While I believe you are truly trying to help, making me feel like the hypothyroidism is my fault defeats that purpose. I don’t post my daily meals on here, and I honestly eat very little soy – mostly just tofu. I have done a lot of research on the topic – I promise.

bitt Reply:

I hadn’t eaten soy in 2 years and got diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I blamed it on too much kale. But my doctors all said that is ridiculous. It is good to be mindful of goitrogens that can affect the thyroid but truth is that there are chemicals in the environment that we can’t help our exposure to that are much worse.

Shanna Reply:

Quick suggestion. If your levels are only slightly outside the range, have you looked into trying to balance it with diet? If this is solely from pregnancy, that might be an option instead of going right to medications. Just a thought.

The nurse said this is pretty common in pregnancy, and also not caused by anything I did or didn’t do. I am not under the impression that dietary changes would fix the level at this point. We’ll see what they say at my next visit!

Shanna Reply:

@Emily,

Sorry, I wasn’t trying to imply that it’s something you’ve caused.

This was just a suggestion for something that might be an option and may be worth asking about at your next appointment. With the limit on time doctors spend with patients these days, I feel like I don’t get the whole range of treatment options until I do my own research and ask specifically about things I’m interested in. Since I honestly don’t know how much of an effect food can have on thyroid levels, I’d love to know whatever you find out from the doc.

No worries, Shanna! It’s definitely something I’m planning to do a lot of research on now that I have the diagnosis. I’m all about having as much info as possible! :)

Meagan Reply:

Emily – I am sorry it came off so harsh :( I did not mean it like that. Please forgive me!

Sara @BakingandWine     at 4:05 pm

I didn’t start feeling like my appetite was totally back until just a few weeks ago! I’m almost 27 weeks now so, there’s still hope you might get back on the normal appetite boat. :)

And I’m just now feeling like I need to go get some maternity shirts too. But I wore fairly baggy t-shirts before getting pregnant. I totally know what you mean about how nice it is to not have to get a whole new business wardrobe. One plus side for me being unemployed, haha.

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 4:10 pm

I can’t believe you are halfway through, you still look so little compared to how round you’re gonna get!

Erin     at 4:10 pm

Love that Tina’s decided she wants to be “Mimi”! So cute. One of my parents’ friends decided to be “GG” to her grandkids (short for “Goddess Grandma”)–I think it’s really sweet, and she has a ton of personalized jewelry that says “GG” on it.

I love GG too – so cute!

RunEatRepeat     at 4:12 pm

Love the updates! You look great :)
And I totally appreciate the good, bad and ugly details of pregnancy. I want to know what to expect!

Graze With Me     at 4:12 pm

Your one “weird” physical change isn’t that weird – I’m with ya!!

Also, (and I’d never post this on my blog) but I’m pretty sure I’ve found the world’s worst pregnancy symptom: chronic yeast infections. I’d never had one before in my life and I’ve had FOUR so far and I’m only 23 weeks! At this point I just call in, get my prescription faxed and pick up the pills without having to come in but OH. MY. GOD. I. HATE. IT.

Anywho – Love the updates! You’re starting to look more and more like a mama-to-be. I’m so proud of my little bump already, it’s too fun. :)

Oh god I would die! That sounds horrible!

Maria     at 4:18 pm

You look so cute! I love reading these posts because they’re so honest and lets me know what fun I have to look forward to.

Ali     at 4:21 pm

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at about 12 weeks pregnant and was really worried about it too. My original test came back a little bit outside of the normal range so my doctor did a 2nd blood test to check the actual amount of the hormone in my bloodstream. It was ok, but the doctor said my body was working harder than it should to keep my levels right so I started taking daily medication. She said it is just something that can happen during pregnancy and not caused by diet. Thanks for your fun pregnancy updates. It has been fun following along.

Brittany @ a healthy slice of life     at 4:22 pm

Secret: my stomach is hairier too!!! Haha, I thought I was imagining it at first :)
Also, you already have way more maternity clothes than j do- I’m jealous! I have 1 pair of shorts, 1 pair of jeans, and a few shirts. Needless to say, I do a lot of laundry.

I’m sorry about the thyroid, but at least you know they are keeping a close eye on everything. Will it go back to normal after delivery?

Can’t wait to hear about your 20 week appt!

Maria     at 4:23 pm

I love your updates. You kinda almost make me wanna be pregnant again. :)

PS Many women develop hypothyroidism during pregnancy. I have it…and have for years. The medicine helps, AND it is very important for nursing success too, if you plan to nurse. :)

Lisa     at 4:28 pm

I remember specifically when I received the e-mail at 18 weeks saying that my baby was the size of a bell pepper because I had brought one to work to snack on that day! Needless to say, I brought it home and saved it for another day.

I also took a break from unpacking boxes to hang our baby’s clothes in her closet. It’s so crazy how tiny it all is–I love it!

And, you look fantastic!!!

Cate     at 4:29 pm

My grandparents gave us the same Baby Gap giraffe sleeper! It’s sooo cute. And yeah the hairy stomach thing was kind of a shock, hopefully it’s not permanent!

S @ extremebalance.net/blog     at 4:29 pm

Ouch! I’ve had Hypothyroid for 18 years—since I was 16. Taking a pill every day is not like self-medicating, and it feels like being judged when people make it a point of pride that they’re med-free: it is, after all, a lucky by-product of health, and if you find your way BACK into health with a pill like synthroid, that’s OK! It’s not like you’re hitting the crack pipe daily or even taking tylenol 8 times a day. Besides: if this is only gestational, then you win, anyway, right?

I definitely don’t mean it like that, or to judge anyone for needing medication. I’ve been on different medications at various point in my life. And my husband has epilepsy and take a daily medication, and I know what a challenge that is for him. I was just sort of shocked to hear that I had a problem when I had no idea anything was wrong.

S @ extremebalance.net/blog Reply:

fair enough!

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey     at 4:35 pm

I *love* all of the little outfits… Baby G will be VERY well dressed!

Is it weird (?) that I was browsing the EatMoreKale.com store the other day, and saw the baby onesies… and thought of Baby G? I don’t know anyone else who is pregnant right now, except you! They are so cute. http://www.eatmorekale.com/store/products.php?cat=46

If I had your address, I probably would have bought you one! ha,ha. :)

~

Not weird and totally adorable!

Kelly @foodiefresh     at 4:40 pm

Baby clothes make me so happy! Have you seen the How I Met Your Mother episode about baby socks?

Haha NO, but maybe I will see if it’s on our Netflix…

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 4:43 pm

Oh I struggled with food my entire pregnancy. It wasn’t so bad later but I just never had an appetite at all.

The first half of my pregnancy went REALLY fast and the slowed down a bit but the last ten weeks DRAGGED….they seemed longer than the whole thirty in front of them haha.

Heidi @ Food Doodles     at 4:46 pm

That’s hilarious that you mentioned the hair on your belly! I noticed that with my son but not as much with my daughter. And after my pregnancy it went away, so don’t worry too much :D
Such cute hangers and baby clothes! I gave so much baby stuff to my sister in law who is due in August but seeing those pictures makes me want to go sort through more baby clothes, haha.

Katy @ MonsterProof     at 4:47 pm

Sounds great! As for the hypothyroidism, I have a good friend that dealt with it and has 3 healthy kiddos, so I’m sure it’ll work out fine. Best wishes!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas     at 4:53 pm

Soooo fun that you are starting to go shopping for baby garnish! I can’t wait to see how the nursery will be decorated!

RhodeyGirl     at 5:03 pm

That giraffe sleeper is ADORABLE!

Sorry to hear about your thyroid. That is major sucktown. Hopefully the medicine will help!

Are you coming to the HLS in Philly? If so we MUST get a belly pic together! :)

Oh, and my belly is hairier too which stinks because I already have too much hair on my body.

Not sure about HLS – I’ll be 32 weeks! Depends on how I’m feeling, and how much a cross-country flight costs, but I’m hoping I can maybe be there! LOVE the belly pic!

Giraffe sleeper currently available online at Gap. :)

colleen     at 5:12 pm

You and Baby G are looking great! It is amazing to look and hold all those tiny clothes and diapers. I remember the first time my husband picked up a newborn diaper – the true size of the baby became real to him. Don’t worry too much of the body hair on the belly – it is one of many changes to come. Several of my female friends had a dark blue vein show up between their belly button and lower region. It was dark, but faded over time after delivery. The one body change my husband loved to watch for was to see how my belly button changed. Every week he took great amusement to say whether or not I ‘popped’. I came very close with my third.

Julie S.     at 5:27 pm

Hi Emily,

I was diagnosed w/ hypothyroidism when I was 12 yrs old, & it was very upsetting for me at the time, too, knowing that I’d have to be on medication for the rest of my life. However, it has not been a big deal at all. It’s just 1 little pill every morning, & it doesn’t have any unpleasant side effects, & it hasn’t inhibited me from doing or eating anything else. No big deal at all. Hopefully after the baby is born your TSH levels will return to normal, but they may not. Don’t let it concern you; it’s nothing you did. Your body just goes thru all kinds of whack when you’re pregnant. Look at it this way – if having to take 1 little pill for the rest of your life is the worst thing that ever happens to you, life is pretty good, right? :) Best of luck!

Thanks Julie – this was really comforting. :)

Mary Ann     at 5:34 pm

Your thyroid numbers were high but they said you have hypothyroidism? That doesn’t really make sense, does it? Wouldn’t that be hyperthyroidism, if you overproduce? I have hypothyroidism, I under produce it so I have to take levothyroxine. I don’t know anything about pregnancy and thyroid, that just seemed like it was backwards?

Whatever happens I wish you a healthy pregnancy! Taking thyroid replacement isn’t too bad but I can see how it would be a big schock/change if you aren’t used to taking daily medication.

Shanna Reply:

It depends which numbers are high. Generally, if you have elevated levels of TSH you have hypothyroidism because your body is trying to get more thyroid hormone into your body. She probably has high TSH, but she didn’t specify.

Yes – high TSH levels! Seems backwards and confusing to me too, but that was how the explained it.

Mary Ann Reply:

Oh thank you for explaining! It was totally confusing my poor brains! :)

Shanna Reply:

This is kind of funny because I just completed a presentation for a class of mine specifically about hypothyroidism. It’s so interesting and the diagnosis is becoming much more prevalent these days.

Elizabeth     at 6:02 pm

Oh Emily, I hear ya. I tested positive for GSB (group strep B) at around 36 weeks and sobbed in the midwives’ exam room. It was the first thing that had gone “wrong” during my pregnancy, and I blamed myself in a thousand ways. The diagnosis meant that I would have to take a course of antibiotics during labor, and have an IV (both of which I had been fervently against). I researched the issue online, and talked to my doula. As is the case with lots of things pregnancy-related, there is a range of opinions on the issue, from OBs to midwives to holistic docs.

And then at 38 weeks, my head-down baby flipped breech, my water broke, I labored to 10 cm in 2 hours, they discovered she was breech, and I had a c-section after contemplating a breech birth! There went the peaceful water birth I’d planned!

I over-share this not to make you more freaked out about what *could* happen, but instead simply to say it will be ok no matter what. I am GLAD my birth went the way it did, because I feel like SUPERWOMAN now. Somehow the universe knew my plans were too small for me; the universe wanted to show me what I could do. That feeling of power has changed me and my life forever. You’re PERFECT, your baby is PERFECT, and it is all unfolding according to a plan designed to show you how much you rock.

Thanks Elizabeth! I needed this. :) I’m trying to remember that life is mostly out of my control! Glad to hear you and your baby are healthy and happy!

Jamie Reply:

I had Group B Strep too and also a blood incompatibility which caused jaundice. It seemed like a big deal at the time, but now that I have a healthy happy boy (4 1/2 years old) it is all a distant memory.

Tammy     at 6:06 pm

I have a random comment regarding those ‘baby hangers’.. They make perfect hangers for jeans! Your jeans no longer slide to one end of the hanger and fit perfectly! Try it.. you’ll see =) My closet is full of them! Loove the baby posts Emily! Makes me baby hungry!!

Good to know!

Sarah @ The Pajama Chef Reply:

i’m so glad someone else does that too! i’ve done that for years- probably since i was a kid and we still had those hangers. my husband thinks it’s weird, but probably just cause his big “man” jeans don’t fit! :)

Shari     at 6:14 pm

Ahh, those baby clothes are adorable!! You’re going to have so much fun shopping for more of them — there’s something so invigorating about it. One of my friends had a baby girl last month, and (no exaggeration) I spent well over an hour picking out two outfits for her. They’re all so cute that it’s impossible to choose and insanely easy to get sidetracked!!

Crystal     at 6:21 pm

Yay for a bell pepper sized baby boy! I am sorry to hear about your thyroid. The decision to take the medicine is your choice and your choice alone, however, as someone who has dealt with the negative side affects of thyroid medication I strongly urge you to do some research and gain more than one opinion. There is so much you can do to boost thyroid function without taking meds! I by no means mean to frighten you but (every chemical has side affects in your body)there is no harm in looking around for alternatives. Again, this is your choice and I by no means mean to pass judgment, I just encourage you to look into alternatives and/or get a second opinion. As someone who has been there I just wanted to share that there are alternatives.

Thanks Crystal – I appreciate the advice! Do you know what alternatives might be available?

Crystal Reply:

I am really passionate about this type of thing so I apologize in advance for any verbal (or in this case written) vomit that may ensue! First off, avoid soy as much as possible (I realize this may sound tough as a veg. but I am as well and it becomes easy when you know it affects your health)! Soy is a known thyroid attacker. Also, add in as much iodine as possible through kelp. To me this is kind of nasty but I get it dried at W.F., crush it up and sprinkle it on salads (in soup may be good for you right now:))I would strongly encourage seeking chiropractic care. D.Cs are really well versed in thyroid issues, I use something called Network Spinal Analysis, which is amazing! There is no popping/cracking or manipulation of bones, it is very gentle and focuses on relieving tension on the nervous system so that it can function properly. I would be more than happy to get a recommendation for a Dr. in Seattle if it is something you would like to try out. The problem with the med. is that it covers up a symptom of a larger issue synthetically. NO offense to the medical community but their solution to problems is to through a pill at it or surgery, that is just how they are trained/how they make money. Just a side note – our bodies are AMAZING and maybe something is going on where your body needs your thyroid to function at a different level (i.e. because you have been so sick you need to gain more weight) and artificially boosting it won’t allow your body to do what it needs. This is why I would suggest a second opinion. Whew – I hope this at least offers some kind of help or perspective! P.S. I have also seen NSA help through pregnancy and labor in many ways.

Thanks Crystal! I will definitely keep all of this in mind, and continue to explore my options. As it is I don’t each much soy now – mostly just when we have tofu. Always good to think about though.

Nicole @WholeHealthRD Reply:

I second all the alternatives! I’m doing acupuncture for slight hypothyroidism and it’s working wonders. I totally believe in the body being able to heal itself. Love the blog Emily!

Kate     at 6:21 pm

I think I just scared my fiance when I yelled “Yes!” and he asked what I was happy about and I said “Emily posted!”. Oops.

Too funny.

Robin     at 6:44 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your pregnancy journey. I have a wonderful, fantastic, adorable four-year old, but I was never able to give birth (my husband and I were fortunate to be able to adopt him). I love being able to experience pregnancy via your journey. You will be a great mother!

JF     at 7:27 pm

I have to admit I miss your food/cooking posts and have been visiting less and less. I know a lot of bloggers start a separate blog for baby and mommy-related things. Is that something you considered (or would consider?)

Hi JF – funny, I’m taking a break from cooking a new recipe to read comments. Now that my kitchen is finally unpacked, food and cooking posts will be returning in a big way. In addition, starting in June a lot of my pregnancy/baby posts will be outsourced for a new freelance job I’m starting.

Kelly     at 7:35 pm

Hi Emily,
Even though I’m quite a bit ahead of you in my pregnancy journey, I only have 9 weeks to go before I meet this little one, I just have to say I love these baby posts so much and look forward to them every week (all the way from Australia). You’ve coped with your morning sickness so well and are looking so healthy & great!!

Nina @ SLO Foodie     at 7:45 pm

These posts just get more and more exciting! Cutest clothes ever.

Rachel     at 7:48 pm

I’m only 6.5 weeks pregnant right now, but your posts give me so much to look forward to. So many exciting changes. We learned yesterday at our ultrasound that we are expecting TWINS! We are thrilled, but still trying to get used to the idea!

Wow – CONGRATS!

Lauren     at 8:15 pm

I look forward to these posts every week! Gosh, the baby is getting so big (but you still look so amazing!). :) SOrry to hear about your thyroids but just remember, sometimes, our bodies need a little extra help to be the healthiest they can be for us and for others. :)

Gina     at 8:22 pm

Looking so great, and I’m happy to see that you’re getting settled. Still love your blog and yay for onesies from liberal arts colleges! I went to Kenyon, so I know Denison veryyyy well! :)

Yay Kenyon! :)

Allison     at 8:25 pm

My doctor friend says extra hair means you have extra testosterone in your body (aka a boy).

May God bless you for putting up with all of these pregnancy comments from your readers! :)

Haha :)

courtney     at 8:31 pm

You went to Denison?? My husband and I just moved to Granville in September!

LOVE Granville! Cutest town ever!!

Ashley     at 8:36 pm

TOO funny!! I bought my sis in law pink baby hangers and some little hair clips, as part of her bday gift. I thought they hangers were SO cute too!! She loved them. :) Your little belly is just so darn cute…Sorry about the little hiccup with your thyroid, but I’m sure everything will be fine. Sounds like you’re doing great so far!! I haven’t heard a woman that didn’t have at least one little hiccup along the way. Those outfits are the cutest!! xoxo

CAROL     at 8:42 pm

I love your baby posts! It’s awesome you are doing a weekly update complete with the different foods! I didn’t take too many pictures during my pregnancy and I regret it now! You look great and I hope you are feeling great..sounds like you are!

Kristen @ The Concrete Runner     at 8:47 pm

Ha, too funny about the hair thing! I am already fairly hairy I hate to admit, but I honestly haven’t notice much more. Baby hangers are WAY too cute! And I totally agree with the maternity clothes. I am lucky that I am a teacher and only have 7 more days left til summer break (not that I’m counting), but I am also a PE teacher, so I wear sweats all day, every day. Maternity clothes are expensive, but I am hoping to get a few things that I can keep for future pregnancies! Are you feeling any movement yet? Last week you said you hadn’t felt anything, but I wasn’t sure if that had changed. I’m a little disappointed that I’m not feeling more – it makes me worry something is wrong. Hopefully you are because the few (what I think are) kicks I do feel are the best feelings ever!

Nope, still feeling nothing. :( TERRIFIES me, but I keep telling myself he’s just a late bloomer.

Kristen @ The Concrete Runner Reply:

Well, the good thing is that you heard the heartbeat again at your last appointment, so you know he’s still in there! I still think you have been too busy to notice, as the only time I really feel anything is on the weekend when we’re sitting doing nothing. My husband keeps telling me he’s jealous since he can only experience this from the outside. Don’t worry – you’ll be feeling it soon!

Julie S. Reply:

I didn’t feel any movement until after 20 weeks. As it turned out the thick part of the placenta was in front so the baby just needed to be a little bigger before I could feel anything. I wouldn’t worry about it AT ALL! I think a lot of times w/ your 1st pregnancy you could be feeling something & just not even realize it. Just feels like little butterflies or gas bubbles flitting across your tummy at 1st. Not at all a big kick like you’d expect. I’m sure everything is totally fine! Especially since you’ve had an ultrasound already & know it is. :)

Anne P     at 9:03 pm

Omg that iphone app is SO COOL!!! I can’t believe the baby is that big already!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 9:13 pm

:) Stomach hair is normal – I’ve heard that from other people as well. I have thyroid problems, and I took 3 weeks to decide whether or not to take the medicine because I hate being relient upon meds. However, I knew to make my thyroid levels normal, I had to do it, especially if I want babies someday!

Jessica Sinclair     at 9:27 pm

You look amazing! Glad that you are feeling better, have energy, and can eat more a varied diet again. I think that it’s cute that the Grandmas are all planning on what they will be called. We tried that since we have parents and step-parents on both sides….our son wanted none of that…they are all Grandma (insert first name here). What works for him works for us too….at least we can tell who he’s talking about LOL.

Jennifer (The Gourmetour)     at 9:32 pm

You’re glowing!! I think I may say this every week, but I genuinely mean it every week! You are gorgeous and are going to be a fantastic mom! Another blogger that I always tune into just had her first baby, and I feel like I am watching all of my favorite bloggers reach the next point in their lives! It’s a wonderful time so thank you for sharing it with us!

Her blog is: http://www.thefitnessdish.com/
She writes a lot about her pregnancy journey, and maybe you could find the pointers of another blogger to be helpful! I hope it is!

MA*     at 10:43 pm

Donna wants to be called Mimi too :)

I spy Indy, too…! xoxo

Staci Ainsworth     at 11:31 pm

You couldn’t possibly be any cuter. There are some who look more pregnant than you when bloated. :) But, you’re adorable and I’m happy to live pregnancy through you. I have a five year old awesome man but haven’t been able to make number two (not the gross kind) happen yet.

Love the updates and size comparisons and iPad photos. Don’t worry either about the hypothyroidism. I’m sure you did absolutely nothing to induce this. Our bodies just changes so much when we’re pregnant. There is little we can control.

Enjoy every moment!

Abby     at 11:40 pm

I’m in love with that giraffe sleeper! Too cute! :)

KatieTX     at 11:47 pm

I love your pregnancy updates! Another random opinion about your thyroid :) I read this to my sister who is a doctor and she explained how very important taking the medication is for your high thyroid levels. It is very safe and widely used. Hypothyroidism can cause birth defects so I don’t think you should hesitate to take the pill. I dont like taking a daily meds either, but it is definitely worth it for the baby! He is definitely growing in there! So excited for your next u/s!

Started the medicine this morning, and we’ll see how it goes! It’s definitely something I’m glad they caught, and that I plan to take seriously.

Kristin     at 12:33 am

I’m sorry about the pregnancy induced hypothyroidism. I currently have Hashimoto, which also induces hypothyrodism, and I’m not pregnant. I attempt to treat my hypothyrodism naturally by diet and other indicators. I would suggest talking to a naturopath if you are wary about taking the medication, they may have a natural alternative or something else to try.

Jess     at 9:10 am

I LOVE your belly shots! I hope that’s not weird to say…

Also, if you’re currently into baked potatoes you should try twice-baked ones. That way you can hide tons of nutritious goodies in the filling!

Haha not weird. And good idea on the baked potatoes!

Sarah     at 9:36 am

You’re not alone! I’m at 16 weeks, and I think it was just yesterday when it occurred to me that my stomach is a little hairier, too.

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 9:59 am

Gah! Baby clothes are so stinking cute! :)

amy     at 10:02 am

ahh so cute! I love your updates im so happy for you!

Jen     at 10:02 am

I cannot believe you’re almost half way done. Insane!!

I’m so sorry to hear about your thyroid. I’m sure the meds will do the trick!

Lindsey     at 10:25 am

The baby closet pic, immediate had me tearing up.
So excited for this little one and for you and Casey :)

Too cute, right? Can’t wait for you to come see it in person! Hopefully I have some actual furniture by August…

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine     at 11:13 am

Baby clothes are so freaking adorable, aren’t they?! Those hangers are so teeny and cute, too. I’m totally going to be that person that buys out the baby clothes department the day I find out I’m pregnant. You still look so fit and glowing!!

Baby Garnish is getting so big! Oh it’s all so exciting. You are such a beautiful pregnant woman!

Thanks Amber!!

Ché @ Knight at the Restaurant     at 12:58 pm

Love!! We should all hope to look as cute as you while pregnant.

The hairy belly thing (have to be honest, that made me chuckle) – a cousin of mine experienced something similar when she had a boy. Apparently, the testosterone levels in the baby can actually affect certain hormone-related things in the mother. My understanding is that it’s usually very minor and superficial, and goes away completely once the baby is born.

Ally     at 2:30 pm

Hey Emily!
I am absolutely loving each and every post (as I have been for quite some time!!). I just have to tell you how much I admire you for sharing all the info that you do- I don’t know how you respond to others’ reactions (whether positive, negative, suggestive, etc) with such sweetness and grace. I don’t think everyone realizes how much courage it takes to post about such personal issues on a daily basis! You are AWESOME and so inspiring. Keep it coming girl!!

Thanks Ally! It can be difficult to share both the good and the bad, and take it all in stride, but I love what I do and feel lucky to get to share my story every day. :)

April @ Grits and Granola Bars     at 4:12 pm

I’m confused! Do you have hypERthyroidism or hypOthyroidism? If your thyroid levels are too low it’s hypo, but if they are too high it’s hyper. :) Make sure they have everything correct so you and Baby G are healthy!

HypO, which means that my TSH levels are high, because my thyroid is slow. Seems kind of backwards, but I guess that’s the way it works!

April @ Grits and Granola Bars Reply:

Wow! I’ve had hypothyroidism for four years now and I had no idea that high TSH means the thyroid is slow. I thought that it was just all low levels or something or another. Geez! Learn something new everyday. :) Thanks for the info!

Hilary     at 4:40 pm

Emily- thanks a lot- now because of you (& my coworker’s lunch today) I’m going to die unless I eat a loaded baked potato tonight. Eek! ; )

Haha totally worth it! Enjoy your dinner. :)

Lindsay     at 4:53 pm

Emily-

First, congrats on a healthy pregnancy! Second, regarding expensive maternity clothes, you should check out some consignment sales. The JBF sales are the best I have seen- at my first one I felt like I had stumbled upon an incredible secret.

Sadly, you just missed the spring sale in Seattle (there are always lots of great maternity items), but you can still visit the fall sale in October for Baby Garnish.

Good luck!

Awesome – thanks Lindsay! I will definitely check it out.

Meghan     at 12:25 pm

If you want a laugh aboyt how crazy thyroid are I have dealt with Hashimotos disease for over 5 years but my tsa levels have always stayed normal. It means I am like 1 in a million to not be on meds. Suddenly my thyroid has gone hyper. So yes no I am hypo and hyper, crazy. Hang in there though my mom and aunts all took synthroid through pregnancy and we all turned out perfect.

Ps love the bunny suit I am going to have to get that for my new niece.

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Week 24: My Pregnancy Journey.     at 6:12 pm

[...] normally.  I had my blood re-tested at my appointment and was also happy to hear that my thyroid levels are back down to normal now that I’m taking a low dose of medication.  Good news, [...]

Therese     at 1:03 pm

Hey Emily, I know these posts are quite old now, but what’s the name of the cute baby size app you used?

Alyssa     at 1:08 pm

Did you go to UD?? I am now living in Dayton right down the road from UD in Beavercreek! What a small world :-)