Baby Garnish: The Nursery in Progress.

Here we are at almost 24 weeks pregnant, and this is the first time I’m actually showing you our nursery!  Don’t get too excited quite yet though – it’s still a pretty rough work in progress…

My sister is living with us this summer and is actually using the nursery as her bedroom, which explains the large air mattress and other items scattered around the room.  Since we have the mattress in there right now, none of the furniture is actually in its final resting place, but it is all at least finally ordered, delivered, and assembled!

It’s not a huge room, so we’re being creative and trying to maximize space as best as possible.  (Notice the huge crib box still hanging out in the hallway.)

After we hit the 20-week mark, I starting feeling really antsy about getting our nursery items chosen and ordered, and I spent an absurd amount of time researching options and reading reviews.  I felt really strongly about buying a crib that was highly rated for safety and generally recommended by my top resources.

I ended up choosing the Natural Straight-Up Crib from Land of Nod, because I loved the clean simple lines and I really wanted to go with a natural wood look.  Even though this crib was more expensive than a few others I considered, it was also the highest rated for safety and made in the USA – two things that were important to me.

We lucked out that Seattle happens to have one of only four Land of Nod stores in the country, and we were able to go see and feel the cribs in person.  Doubling our luck was a furniture sale and free delivery available over Memorial Day weekend, so I snatched it up while the sale price was still in effect!  We only had to wait one week for delivery, and I convinced Casey to assemble it for us last week.  I love it!

During the furniture sale, I also ordered the coordinating Natural Simple 2 Over 2 Dresser that will double for us as a changing table.  Since space is a premium in our nursery, I knew I didn’t want a separate changing table, so I ordered the changer top to fit the top of this dresser perfectly.

With the crib and dresser finally in place, I started focusing on accent pieces, storage, and other decorative elements for the nursery.  I had been planning to get one more furniture piece for the room – some sort of bookshelf or storage area for toys and books.  But those plans quickly dissolved when I fell in love with this antique dresser that I scored for $75 at the Fremont farmer’s market.

I am always drawn to wooden decorative elements, particularly branches, birch, and anything rustic and natural looking.  When I saw the tree branch knobs on this dresser, also painted in the exact green color I planned to use in the nursery, I knew it was meant to be mine.

So now that I essentially have an extra dresser, I’m scrapping the bookshelf idea since I don’t want to over-crowd our space.  I figure the dressers will be plenty of storage for all our tiny baby things, and I can make use of a few other baskets and other items for baby toys.  He doesn’t really have all that much right now!

I knew that in decorating I didn’t want to be overly “themed” and go crazy with one animal, pattern, or look.  We both agree that (god-willing) there will be more mini Malones in the future, so we also hoped to get things that can be used in future nurseries down the road.

We are also both big nerds and feel pretty passionately about providing a lot of educational tools, toys, and resources for our kids.  With me being a writer and Casey a mathematician, we figured numbers and letters were a fun way to enhance the nursery.  I found these woodsy number and alphabet prints at Land of Nod, and I don’t think there could be a more perfect fit for our nursery.

Since I wanted to use a mixture of muted blues, greens, and yellows, the colors were perfect too!  I can’t wait to hang them up on the walls.

I’m not a huge fan of baby things that are overly cartoonish or cutesy, and tend to go for more modern accents, but I couldn’t resist grabbing this woodsy rug for $19 at Babies R Us last weekend.  I’m not sure if I’ll use it or not, but since it was in the clearance bin I couldn’t pass it up.  Plus, foxes are cute.

Two big breezy windows in the corner covered with green curtains that I already had on hand.  Eventually I’m hoping to put our rocking chair/glider in this corner.

The other big decision we need to make in this room is what to do with the closet.  My original plan was to take the doors off and use the closet as extra space – it opens up the room a LOT to have it open!  I know with it open we will obviously lose some of the storage we have now, but I am considering putting our changing table/dresser in there and using it as a changing station and place to store the hamper, dirty diaper bag, etc.

I think we’ll have to wait and decide on the closet once all the furniture is ready to put in place, and we can see how much space we really have to work with.  Right now the closet is serving as Sarah’s headboard.  :)

This wall next to the window will eventually be home to our totally awesome wall decal.  (Mirror will be removed.)

I ordered it last week and did a happy dance when I found it on my doorstep yesterday afternoon.  I wrote a piece this morning showcasing 10 Adorable Wall Decals to Transform a Nursery, including a link to the one we ordered for our nursery (the alphabet tree!).

decal01

These decals are such a fun and inexpensive way to totally transform the nursery from simple to fabulous.

This weekend’s plan is to attempt to follow these directions and get our decal up on the wall!  Cross your fingers…

Our nursery also has a bathroom attached, and am some point I’ll need to consider some sort of fun kid-friendly bathroom décor in there too.  Frogs?  Whales?  So many adorable options.

I am a really indecisive person, and even though I know it’s just decorating, choosing all our nursery items has been a huge process.  Even so, I have had SO much fun doing it, and I can’t wait to see it all finally come together in the next few weeks.

The nursery is half-way there, Baby G is kicking all day long, and it all feels really really real now.  Is it October yet?

Kate @ NaturaStride     at 4:20 pm

Love it! It’s coming along. And I ADORE that vintage dresser – what a great find!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 4:23 pm

Cute! I love that your decorations are educational, reusable for future babies regardless of sex, and not overly childish. Whales would be an adorable bathroom theme that would remain age appropriate for many years.

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health     at 4:24 pm

Aw, I love all of the accessories! That alphabet tree is awesome!

Kelly     at 4:26 pm

So fun!! I am also in the process of putting our nursery together and it so exciting :) We have boxes all over the house filled w/furniture haha. Can’t wait to see the progress of your nursery!

Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife     at 4:28 pm

Wow I love it, it’s really coming along well! That crib is lovely, and the wall decal and artwork are going to make for such a cute nursery! Also, I’m loving that rug, the little animals are way too cute and you should use it. This whole process looks so fun, I can’t wait to do this one day…

Meagan     at 4:30 pm

Cute! If you theme the bathroom “rubber duckies” it will never get old because it will always be fresh, bathroomy and adorable :)

Marci     at 4:30 pm

So funnn I want to decorate a nursery. I love the numbers and letters idea, and I like using the closet as a changing table/dresser. I have never seen a closet used as a headboard! Interesting! And the wall decal will look cute too.

Brooke @ Veggie Table     at 4:31 pm

Such cute decorations and I love the weathered dresser you found!

Sana     at 4:33 pm

Baby G is going to have an amazing pad to live in!

Candy (Healthy In Candy Land)     at 4:35 pm

This *almost* makes me want to have another baby! Love the artwork and especially the farmer’s market dresser. So, so cute!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 4:37 pm

Love your style! I’m not a fan of cartoonish kids stuff either. The alphabet tree and the numbers are great!

Graze With Me     at 4:39 pm

I love the color palette you’ve chosen – very modern and not too cutesy. I’m also not attracted to any kind of cartoonish decor and I love the wall decal you chose! It’s a perfect learning tool/artwork all in one.

I also really envy you having a bathroom attached. I wish more houses had that option with all bedrooms not just the master.

I’m counting down with you – so anxious to put all this planning and baby products to the test!

Jenna (Hello, I Love You)     at 4:52 pm

Love everything you have picked out so far. Can’t wait to see the finished product. :)

Katie KS     at 4:52 pm

I am thinking whales for my baby’s bathroom type stuff – my daughter has a lot of bunnies on her towels :) We are painting their bathroom a very Caribbean ocean shade of blue (but not too dark) so I figure whale towels will match … and I think we’ll do some sort of ocean theme to it. Gender-neutral.

I love your dressers but would recommend you rethink the bookshelf idea. We spend MANY hours reading books in the glider and I wouldn’t think a dresser would be a great place to keep books. We have a ton of books! You might be able to get one of those cubical unit things (Target has them) and put baskets in some and books in the others. That is what we are probably doing with E’s big girl room, since the bookshelf will stay in the nursery. But we may actually put a bookshelf in her room too. … Just a thought from an experienced mom ;)

Susan Fine Reply:

I, too, thought you might want to figure something else for books. For the board books, of which there are many, many wonderful ones, you can have them all in a big basket (and you will want them to be accessible to baby, because at about six months, he will start playing with them and taking them out, etc) — but what about shelves up on the walls for other books? Eventually being able to access them himself will be important, but early on, the board books are really the ones that BG will manage on his own. And, of course, you will have lots of books in your living room and other places around the house, but Katie is quite right about all the time you will spend in your glider and on the rug, sitting and reading together.

My plan was to get a few baskets to put on the floor for books, toys, etc. We plan to have LOTS of books and do a lot of reading!

Sarah for Real     at 4:55 pm

Whales would be so cute for the bathroom because you are in Seattle! I guess they have frogs there too… but whales are way cooler.

Love those prints from Land of Nod. Super cute but modern at the same time!

Anne @ The Denim Pixie     at 4:56 pm

CUUUUUTE!!!! The wall decal is precious! I can’t wait to see everything put together.

Dawn     at 5:00 pm

I love your numbers-and-letters theme. We were at U Village last weekend and opted to skip Land of Nod. Now I’m wishing we would have gone in.

Pam     at 5:04 pm

Looks great :) I love everything!! very exciting to put everything together :)

Melanie @ Trial By Trail     at 5:12 pm

Cute cute cute! Your room ideas are reminding me of one of my favorite rooms I used as inspiration during nursery decorating – http://projectnursery.com/2008/11/get-inspired-a-babys-nest/. :)

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.)     at 5:15 pm

I can only imagine how fun it would be to decorate a nursery! :) I agree with you about not having too many “kiddy” type stuff and instead having a fun/chic/modern room with playful accents.

Some nurserys are cute overload… which makes them a little over the top (aka. more about the parents then the kid).

erica     at 5:39 pm

omg! i’m totally in love with the wall decal and woodsy animal mat! SO CUTE!!!!

giordin     at 5:51 pm

baby decorations are sooo cute!!! i’ve actually had ducks in my bathroom for the last 8 years or so. i probably need to upgrade to something more appropriate for my age. maybe i can send my duckies to you!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 6:18 pm

I LOVE natural elements in furniture, as well as, clean lines too! Love what you’re doing with the room. I know you guys are getting so excited! I can’t believe how fast it’s going!

It’s really coming together. The decal idea is so cool!

Tricia     at 7:21 pm

I’ll also seen a lot of monkey bathroom sets. That’s kind of cool and gender neutral.

Sara@BakingandWine     at 7:57 pm

I’m so embarrassed! Your nursery is like 90% more done than mine is and I’m due in August. Crap. Haha. We don’t even have the crib together! EEK!

Love that decal! It will go with the prints you found really well!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 8:32 pm

Love everything you got! Especially the wall decor. I’m not a fan of cutesy cartoony kid decor either, so this is right up my alley!

Melissa @ Mouth Watering Morsel     at 8:44 pm

love your ideas. when I saw the dresser in the first picture my thought was ooo I like super vintage. and I did like … I have a thing for out of the norm handles!

Christine     at 8:54 pm

That tree is great! I wonder how well they come off (not that you have to worry about that any time soon).

Kristen @ The Concrete Runner     at 9:42 pm

So incredibly cute! I can’t wait to see the finished product! Don’t worry, I am horrible at making decisions also which just makes planning a nursery that much harder! You at least have a crib and dresser – I have nothing! AH! And I totally agree… is it October yet?!

lauri (redheadrecipes.com)     at 10:08 pm

My heart melts whenever I see baby stuff!! The room is adoable!! I like the idea of leaving the doors off the closet and utilizing it for exra space!

And I totally vote for frogs in the bathroom :)

Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out     at 10:15 pm

So CUTE! I can’t wait to see the finished nursery.

Jess-The SemiAbnormal Gal     at 10:23 pm

Whales, for the win!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats     at 10:36 pm

I love your nursery rug! Too cute! And what a great idea to have a wall decal. My best friend is having a baby in about a month (!) so maybe I should look into getting her one to transform her nursery.

Elisabeth     at 12:06 am

I especially love the rug, the numbers/alphabet prints & your mural! :)

bitt     at 1:08 am

So cute! I love baby stuff. I like the animal theme stuff since it can go both genders.

Do you think you’ll have some place for grandmas and aunties to stay? One huge downside to my sister’s place when she had a baby was that she had nowhere for anyone to stay to help take care of the baby. Of course sometimes the visitors don’t want to hear a crying baby all night. I didn’t mind it though. Especially because my niece mostly giggles in the night when she wakes up.

We are still trying to figure out where guests will stay. It’s not the ideal amount of space, but we have to work with it for now! At least we have some comfy air mattresses :)

bitt     at 1:11 am

Thought of something: I am local and moving and if you need a bookshelf I have TONS to get rid of. If you don’t mind coming to capitol hill, you can have your pick! Many sizes to choose from.

Abby     at 3:35 am

I love the alphabet tree! :) so cute!

Ashley     at 10:13 am

Looking good so far!!! I love the natural wood of the crib and dresser/changing table. Also still in love with the antique dresser. It will all come together before you know it!

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 10:21 am

oooh i love the dresser! that’s fabulous!

Beth     at 12:00 pm

Cute! I love the wall art you picked! Land of Nod has adorable wall art. We are headed there today to see if we can find anything for our nursery and check out our bedding at PBK. I am feeling the same way, eager to get the nursery done!

Hayley @ Oat Couture     at 12:35 pm

Aw look at all your teeny tiny baby grows hanging up in the wardrobe! :) Too cute! I love the direction your nursery is taking, I’m not into the cartoonish styles either… for me or a baby! :D

Karolina     at 1:38 pm

You have some really cute items for your nursery….I can’t wait to see the final product:)

Jackie @ That Deep Breath     at 3:06 pm

I love the wall decals you bought! They really are an inexpensive way to transform a room

Tammy     at 12:44 am

Really cute – I love how you got decor from all over and it all works so great together.

Tichina     at 6:01 am

very cute ideas for the room! I am like you in that I stay away from the “overly themed” rooms. When I was young I had a frog themed room and grew out of it. It was insane how many items that went to waste and couldn’t be reused.

Amanda     at 11:52 am

it will all come together!! i promise! you’re going to be an amazing mom! and you’ve got such a wonderful family to help you.

Katherine     at 4:59 pm

So adorable!

Caroline     at 7:50 pm

Very cute! Love the frames and earthy theme!

Brooke @ Bittersweetb     at 8:03 pm

I love the framed pictures! So adorable.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 9:52 pm

So beautiful!!! Wall decals are the greatest. I am getting tons for my dorm room!

Emily     at 11:59 am

I had to chuckle..

My brother and sister-in-law are expecting their first baby (due this week or early next week) and I’m not lieing when I say they just had the baby bed put up yesterday afternoon!

Amy Kaye     at 12:30 pm

Target has some great shower curtains! I got mine there last year and it’s definitely meant for kids (not 25 year old like me!) it has whales on the bottom, brown polka dots and light blue accents. There was also a great one that I almost got with some cute green frogs on it (not too cheesy for cartoons). I just had to mention since you reference both whales and frogs in your bathroom decor :) Definitely check Target when the time comes to get a shower curtain! (I added links to the Target shower curtains from Amazon so you could see what they look like)

Awesome! Thanks for these!

Cindy Robinson     at 1:21 pm

Oh, I just love all of your ideas. I love the muted greens/blues colors. Perfect fit for you….so natural. And those wall arts are just adorable. Can’t wait to see more. Thanks for sharing Emily!

Jess     at 2:13 pm

You are so on top of it! We just finished our nursery.

fittingbackin     at 4:15 pm

oh everything is coming along so well!! Can’t wait to see the final product!

Week 27: My Pregnancy Journey. | Daily Garnish     at 5:59 pm

[...] nursery progress continues with our fun new wall decal, and I had waaay too much fun hearing all the words you guys [...]

Lauren M.     at 10:29 am

Hey! I love the decal. I was shopping for some on etsy earlier this month. Speaking of etsy and baby things, I thought you might like this shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/thewoodgarden. They have handmade baby rattles and toys. Very cute. Enjoy!

How The Nursery Dresser Became A Bookshelf. | Daily Garnish     at 12:14 am

[...] may remember way back in June when I told you how I found this awesome antique dresser with birch branch handles at the farmer’s market.  And how even though I already had a [...]

Nursery DIY: How We Turned Our Dresser Into A Bookshelf | Being Pregnant     at 12:02 pm

[...] may remember way back in June when I told you how I found this awesome antique dresser with birch branch handles at the farmer’s market.  And how even though I already had a dresser [...]

Kaitlin Servant     at 5:57 am

I know this post is a little dated, but I’m hoping you could answer a question for me. I really want to order the Natural Straight Up Crib from Land of Nod but unfortunately I do not live close to one of their stores to check it out in person. I love the clean lines but I’m just trying to get a better idea of the color. In some pictures the wood looks much more yellow and in some pictures it looks very natural. Even when you click on the crib on the website, the picture at the top looks very yellow but the the thumbnail at the bottom (where you add it to your cart) looks more like natural wood. So I was just wondering what your thoughts were. In your pictures it does look more natural and less stained and I didn’t know if that was a more accurate representation of it.

By the way, I love a lot of what you did in the nursery. I LOVE the wall color and the artwork. Great job! I’m just starting my nursery now and found that just like you, once the 20 week mark hit, I was anxious to get it done (or at least started!). Best of luck to you. And thanks for taking the time.
Kaitlin

Hi Kaitlin! Ahh I love that crib. Fun that you are considering it as well. Okay, so when I started looking at nursery furniture, I had a BIG aversion to anything “honey” colored. I really wanted natural wood, and most of the lighter wood I see is more honey and too yellowy for me. It is SO hard to find natural wood baby furniture! Seems like everything is white or espresso. Anyways, to answer your question, I love the color of the Natural from Land of Nod. It’s definitely not honey or too golden, and I think it’s more natural in person than the pictures show. I hope that helps!!

Phil     at 5:13 pm

Those art prints are great. I always check out Land of Nod. Try that rug in front of the changing table to avoid wearing a spot in the carpet. Great job so far!

buy wall art nyc     at 12:25 am

I like what you guys are up too. Such clever work and
coverage! Keep up the good works guys I’ve added you
guys to my own blogroll.