Fremont Festival.

Ever since we moved to Seattle and told people that we would be moving to the Fremont neighborhood, we have been hearing about the Fremont Solstice weekend.  A big celebration of creativity and the arts, my neighborhood turned into a huge whacky parade and festival for two days straight.

I was shopping for baby goods most of Saturday (!), but I did make it to the festival Sunday afternoon, and I’m so glad I made time to check it out before it ended.

There was delicious free Tully’s coffee!  Perfect for a slightly cool afternoon.

And tons of fun for families and kids.  Cotton candy!

And some sort of super slide – couldn’t convince Casey to give it a try…

Everything in Seattle is green and eco-friendly.  Even street fairs!

Casey and Sarah and I walked up and down every row, checking out the vendors and the crazy crowds.

Lots of vegan and vegetarian representation there too!

Smurfs…

Bands…

Hula hooping…

The Library Fairy…

Hair of every color…

And a marching band!

Best part of the afternoon…

And finally, the FOOD!  Considering this was a street fair I was amazed at the number of vegetarian options available…

All three of us ended up choosing vegetarian gyros.  Yum.

Casey also got an extra “falafel on a stick” for us to share.

Delicious gyros enjoyed waterside.

Mmmmmmmmm.

And giant waffle cones of soft serve ice cream to finish out our Fremont Fair experience.

It was fun to have such a big Seattle event right here in our neighborhood!  Although we live pretty close to the main commercial area here, and I’m happy to return to some peace and quiet now that the floats have all paraded past and the trucks have packed up.  Until next year!

Coco aka Opera Girl     at 6:46 pm

Aww, that looks like so much fun! Too bad you couldn’t get Casey to go down the slide, would have made for an epic photo op :-)

chloe@321delish.com     at 6:47 pm

those ice cream cones look delicious! And the fair looks BUSY but fun!

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs     at 6:48 pm

I want to go to the Fremont Festival!!! Looks like it was fun :)

Shannon     at 6:52 pm

We are flying to Portland tomorrow and Seattle this weekend – can’t wait to check out Freemont. I’m looking forward to all of the vegan options!

Lisa Fine     at 6:52 pm

Sounds like so much fun. I love festivals and fairs, and they’re even better when they’re right in your own neighborhood.

I really want to get to Seattle one day. A city with food waste bins and vegetarian food readily available sounds like a perfect place.

Devon @FastFoodie     at 6:53 pm

In typical Solstice fashion, it was cloudy, cold and overcast. You missed out on the *real* antics on Saturday which includes a lot of naked people.

kris (everyday oats)     at 6:56 pm

That looks like so much fun! All the street food reminds me of all the food stands on Champs Elysees in Paris for some reason.
btw, so jealous that everyone is still wearing sweaters and jackets!

Maggie     at 6:59 pm

Haha, I was wondering if you’d be going to the Fremont Festival! Though as another commenter mentioned, you did miss out on the naked bicyclists in the parade on Saturday. Love Solstice and am sad to have missed it this year due to work!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing     at 7:06 pm

How fun! You look glowing :)

Cassie @ Naturally Cassie     at 7:06 pm

Looks like an amazing festival!! & great food =]

I would loveee to travel to Seattle some day, it seems like a really cool place. Hope you are all enjoying yourselves!

Jennifer (The Gourmetour)     at 7:18 pm

I am soo jealous! Chicago is full of farmers markets, but fairs?! They are so much fun, I wish we had more!
I am looking forward to Taste Chicago starting this coming weekend though!

Jaime     at 7:18 pm

I always thought the Fremont Festival was just the naked cyclists–that’s the only part I ever saw when I lived there! Guess I missed out on the actual festival portion haha

Kim     at 7:19 pm

I would love to find vegetarian gyros!

Anne @ The Denim Pixie     at 7:21 pm

That looks like so much fun!! And I’m totally jealous of your sweatshirts – we’re sweltering in Charlotte!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas     at 7:26 pm

Looks like so much fun! I would have LOVED the dog parade.. what a unique idea. I love the dog that has all of the colors all over him/her!

Monika @ Powered by Paprika     at 7:26 pm

I am so jealous that you live in Fremont-

looks awesome!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 7:26 pm

I’m pretty sure that a street fair in the Midwest would have close to no vegetarian options (except maybe french fries…). You picked a great place to live! :-)

fittingbackin     at 7:37 pm

how fun! love the doggy parade and the gyro – awesomeness!! And this is the 3rd time smurfs have come up today – once at lunch, once at Urban outfitters (smurfette shirt on sale for $10!) and then now – so random!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 7:47 pm

What a fun festival! The little girl hula hooping looks like she’s smoking a cigarette in that picture!

Emily @ Life On Food     at 8:11 pm

Casey completely missed out on the super slide. When I was growing up this was my favorite attraction at the Iowa State fair. It was so much fun and they had microphones hooked up so you could hear the hoots and screams of the riders. Next time!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 8:39 pm

Oh that ice cream cone looks heavenly. I’m definitely jealous!

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life     at 8:43 pm

What a fun little festival! Love the dog outfits. I’m glad y’all found so much vegetarian food! I want that falafel on a stick.. mmmm!

Lauren     at 8:46 pm

How fun! Settle is so colorful and full of flavors! :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga     at 8:53 pm

I love outdoor festivals and neighborhood fairs and fun things like this…what a great time!

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 9:26 pm

how fun! i used to love those slides when i was little. :)

Mai     at 9:33 pm

Looks like fun! I’m so glad you guys are loving the Pacific Northwest. I moved up to Vancouver from San Francisco almost six years ago, and I am never going back.

You guys have to come up to BC at some point this summer! Plus Vancouver has some FANTASTIC vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free eats! As well as amazing local food, and the most beautiful natural surroundings of any city I’ve ever been in.

Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers     at 10:16 pm

Oh, that poor puppy with sneakers on, I bet he was the least happy…. then again, I imagine life in those smurf suits would be pretty rough (read: sweaty).

Looks like a great time, love festivals like that, they bring out such wonderful characters and foods!

Shari     at 10:19 pm

How fun!

And, totally random, but you and your sister look SO much alike in that last picture!

Melissa @ Mouth Watering Morsel     at 11:34 pm

oh wow … that’s pretty awesome. esp the fact that there’s a lot of vegetarian dishes. guess that means you live in a pretty healthy area?

bitt     at 12:03 am

Maybe someday Huey and Indy will march. There is a pawswalk in September that is great for dogs. And a good cause.

No pics of the naked bike riders? Never been to the fair but always hear stories of them.

Jackie @ That Deep Breath     at 1:24 am

This festival looks so fun! I LOVE the idea of a dog parade…i can’t think of anything more exciting!

Love the soft serve w/ waffle cones. It reminds me of my favorite treat at our local fair. Brownie sundae in a waffle cone! a little bit of vanilla ice cream with a HUGE brownie on top with whipped cream, hot fudge & a cherry in a waffle cone. it is delicious…and i’m a bit embarrased to add that I always eat one to myself! they’re too good to share :)

amelia     at 4:10 am

I just spent my first week in seattle.LOVED IT.the freemont festival was insane!! I was hoping to bump into you there…people are so friendly here!I’m visiting from connecticut, and I really hope to move out here as soon as I can. I did all the touristy things you can do, I love all the second hand clothing…amazing.we event to the music exibit.met a wonderful friend and had amazing sushi at japonessa!!! best sushi of my life, you must try if you havent. sadly I’ll be leaving wensday morning early…but I’ll be back!

Jumanah (Healthy Living in the Middle East)     at 4:57 am

The fair looks so much fun! And the food- yum! Wish we had something so fabulous close by! Glad you had a great time.

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 7:20 am

Haha, I haven’t seen smurfs around in forever!! And I totally would have rocked that super slide in all my 29 weeks of pregnancy glory. It looks too fun to miss :)

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat     at 8:34 am

That looks like so much fun! Falafel on a stick needs to happen here, oh my gosh :)

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 8:59 am

Looks like a blast! Those pups are so cute!!!!

Erin @ Naturally Addicted     at 10:25 am

Yum! That ice cream looks delicious! I love going to festivals.. I wish the ones here had more vegan and vegetarian options. I’m jealous! I always like to try out new things!

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous     at 10:39 am

It has been over 100 degrees every day for the last week or so here in Dallas. I am sweating just looking at you guys wearing sweaters! Is it chilly there right now?

Karolina     at 10:40 am

This looks like a fun festival… wow:) The pictures are GREAT!

Maryann     at 10:43 am

Loved the doggie parade. We have a street fair every year in our local town. This looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing!

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 11:15 am

Sounds like a blast! The pups are too cute :)

Looks fun!!

krista     at 1:04 pm

I can’t believe somewhere in the US right now is cold enough for sweatshirts, crazy! Better you than me. ;)

Brittney     at 1:15 pm

I love that they had vegetarian street fair food options. Very cool! Clyde has that same bee costume featured on that one dog :)

Rachel     at 1:24 pm

The festival looked like it was a lot of fun. Love the dog parade.
Just wanted to alert you to the possibility of hidden dangers(Listeria) in the soft serve ice cream during pregnancy. It was probably fine, but I would definetly lay off soft serve for the rest of your pregnancy just to be on the safe side.

Ali     at 1:25 pm

Great pictures!

It’s weird, though – the solstice is today, no? If they’re going to have it on a weekday anyway, why not pick the right one? Huh.

Rachel Jacobs     at 1:43 pm

Where are Huey and Indy in the dog parade? Just isn’t the same since we haven’t seen many pictures of them lately.
Also I wanted to say reading your blog daily has given me the desire to start a page of my own http://www.mynaturallyfrugalfamily.blogspot.com . If you get a free moment (I know those are very few and far between as you are a busy girl) would you take a look and provide any constructive feedback?

Leslie     at 1:46 pm

Oh what a great festival! I don’t live in a very eco-friendly area and really wish we had festivals like these! And I loved the hula hooping!

Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com)     at 1:53 pm

This looks SO FUN!!! I love Dogs. And gyros. And Smurfs.

Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers     at 2:33 pm

Fun! You’ve inspired me to research upcoming festivals in my area.

Elisabeth     at 3:05 pm

It all looks really fun, but the best looking part was the waffle cones of soft serve – yum! Nothing says summer like soft serve ice cream :)

Emma @ Getting There & Going Places     at 3:12 pm

Looks like a fun time with good food! :D
Love the dogs haha! :P

Michelle     at 5:55 pm

Hey Emily!
You look gorgeous! Quick question…are you drinking coffee again? I thought you had mentioned that you gave it up?

Sorry for the late answer!! I’ve been drinking decaf coffee blends on chilly mornings. :)

Rachel     at 11:15 pm

Nice William and Mary hoodie Sarah!!

At the Richmond Veg fest this past weekend they had VEGAN funnel cakes! Holla!

Kristen     at 2:35 pm

I love your blog, and the fact that you moved to Seattle!! (my hometown :) I lived in Fremont for 2 years and you absolutely MUST try Paseo’s- a Cuban sandwich joint on Fremont Ave. Totally unmarked hole in the wall, but you can’t miss the CRAZY long lines outside and the aroma! Anyway, they have an incredible tofu sandwich that nearly matches the pulled pork :) my old vegetarian roommate was just as hooked on that place as I was. Anyway, looks like the festival was fun this year!!! Best of luck with the rest of the pregnancy!!

jenna k     at 7:23 pm

those gyros look awesome! they’re one of my favorite takeout foods, so i’d love to try a veggie version.
glad y’all had fun! :)

Simply Life     at 8:53 pm

I used to live in Seattle and am back visiting – I tried a new restaurant that you may have already been to, but just incase, I can’t recommend Portage Bay in Ballard highly enough! They have an entire “toppings bar” with TONS of fresh fruit, nuts and even cookies to top your oats, pancakes, etc. Just thought I’d let you know!

I love Portage Bay!! :)