Happenings.

We had no real plans for this weekend, which in my experience is usually when they turn out the best.  Casey has been asking to go out for brunch for weeks, so Sunday morning – we brunched!

Silence Heart Nest is a funky vegetarian breakfast spot in Fremont that we had been to once before and really enjoyed.  It is so nice to have a vegetarian spot within walking distance of our house!

For our meal, the three of us got the sweet potato biscuits with vegan cashew gravy to share…

Sarah went with the orange scented French toast, which looked amazing.

Casey got scrambled eggs and soy bacon…

Along with a giant pancake.

And I got the breakfast special – waffles with baked red plum compote, cardamom wildflower honey, and freshly whipped cream.  It was decadent and delicious!

After stuffing ourselves silly, Sarah and I headed down to the Fremont Market for the first time.  I am a huge fan of local markets, so it was definitely time to start checking out the Seattle market scene…

Lots of pretty fresh flowers – wish I had remembered to take my wallet!

The Fremont market was much more of an arts & crafts of antiques type of market than I had realized, but it was actually really cute and fun!

I am also making sure that the next time I go I have an empty stomach – SO many delicious looking food vendors offering samples and lunches, and I was too full for even one bite.

It was warm and sunny on Sunday morning, bringing out the best of Seattle…

Mini donut truck.  I will be back!

I fell in love with this antique dresser with real birch wood handles and decided it would be perfect in our nursery.  The only problem was that I already bought a dresser.  You can never have too much storage though, right?

I went home and thought about it, and ended up going back and getting the dresser a few hours later.  The price was too good to pass up, and now that it’s back at my house I think it looks perfect in the room.  Can’t wait to get the crib assembled and some decorations and things purchased so that the room finally feels like a real nursery.  Can’t wait to show you guys pictures!

Betsy     at 12:42 pm

I love our Seattle markets. You should definitely head over to the Ballard Farmers Market on Sundays. Not too far from Fremont and filled with delicious local produce and treats.

Happy gray Monday!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet     at 12:43 pm

Mmm those waffles look awesome! I can never pass on waffles :)

Wow your local market is filled with so many goodies! I love markets with fresh fruits and veggies, but sometimes I really want to hunt down antiques and specialty crafts. And I would not pass on that doughnut truck ;)

Ashley     at 12:43 pm

I love that dresser!!! GREAT find!!! The brunch looks to die for. Looks like you had nice weather for your unplanned weekend. Love those!

Kamaile     at 12:44 pm

I love when weekend plans happen on their own! That dresser is cute!!

Kristina     at 12:47 pm

I almost died from happiness just looking at those waffles… what an awesome flavor combination. I might have to try re-creating that at home…

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 12:47 pm

Sweet potato biscuits?! Sounds heavenly

Nikki T     at 12:49 pm

Awesome dresser! Lovin’ the antiques lately myself!
Looking forward to seeing the nursery pics

Tichina     at 12:50 pm

That dresser is the cutest :) It has so much character! I love decorating, I look forward to visiting again and seeing the pictures!

Gina @ running to the kitchen     at 12:51 pm

That hat is priceless!
Very cute dresser. Can’t wait to see pics of the nursery!

Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers     at 12:51 pm

Beautiful dresser, are you going to paint it or leave it the color it is (which I think is lovely, hence the question)?

I could just spend hours at markets like that. Even one that I went to in Hollywood was so much fun, though I expected it to be gritty and grimy!

Red plum compote sounds outta this world.

stacey     at 12:52 pm

That dresser was a great find! I am looking forward to seeing the nursery when you have it completed.

Hayley @ Oat Couture     at 12:58 pm

Ooh I love finding things like that at markets! :) Can’t wait to see the finished nursery!

Kelly @foodiefresh     at 1:03 pm

I love Seattle’s slight kookiness. What good luck finding that dresser! Can’t wait to see the finished product of your nursery. :)

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.)     at 1:05 pm

That dresser is darling! I’m happy you snagged it :)

chloe @ 321delish     at 1:14 pm

one of the dishes that I REALLY want to try to make this summer is berry compote. I don’t think it is hard, but I think it would be SO delicious on SO many dishes!

ps: When I first read “the three of us shared,” I thought you meant Baby Garnish haha…

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me     at 1:18 pm

That looks so fun! I can’t wait to see the nursery!

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey     at 1:24 pm

I love that chest of drawers! I have a couple pieces of secondhand impulse purchases like that – and love them to bits. I don’t think you can *ever* have too much storage! :)

~

Chloe (South Beach Diet Girl)     at 1:27 pm

I love furniture finds like that! It’s always a great feeling to walk away with a bargain :)

Sana     at 1:29 pm

I love that you went back and bought a dresser! I want that mini doughnut truck!

Katie KS     at 1:34 pm

Well, when Baby Garnish’s sibling comes along, just think, Baby Garnish will have a dresser already for his big kid room, and No. 2 can keep the nursery furniture :)

Jenna (Hello, I Love You)     at 1:40 pm

Love, love that dresser! Great find.

Meagan     at 1:43 pm

Cool! You’re luck the dresser was STILL there when you went back. Guess it was meant to be!

Dynamics     at 2:00 pm

When I first started reading your post and you said, “For our meal, the three of us…” I immediately thought, how cute you are including the baby. Words, I love them.

Ann @ Day By Day     at 2:28 pm

Your posts are seriously making me want to move to Seattle! Having a vegetarian restaurant within walking distance would be amazing. We only have a handful of them at all in Memphis! And the market looks great. I need to do like you and forget my wallet when I go shopping :)

Monika @ Powered By Paprika     at 3:27 pm

I love Fremont, so jealous that you in in Seattle!

Jen     at 3:33 pm

Lol, when you said the three of us, I thought for a second, you meant your husband, you, and your baby! haha

Gina (Yogattude)     at 3:35 pm

Love the dresser! I haven’t been to the Fremont market, but I did see that mini-doughnut truck down near Pike’s Place Saturday afternoon!

fittingbackin     at 3:48 pm

I love all of the pics! YOur breakfasts look amazing. I read that frittata and was like whoa.. amazing!

Alaina     at 4:06 pm

When I saw the menu, I would have totally had the waffles too. They look so delicious!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats     at 4:44 pm

I did the exact same thing at my local market: came full! Who knew they had so many samples now days?! I sure did not! Next time, I plan to eat a meal of samples. ^_^

Love the dresser!

Michaela     at 5:12 pm

That hat is unreal!
But the dresser looks super cute :) What´s meant to be is meant to be ;)
Also I can´t wait to see some nursery pictures, I bet it will be beautiful.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking)     at 6:09 pm

I love markets! I wish we had more with crafty vendors, although the food ones are pretty delicious :)

Erin {Shortcut to Bliss}     at 6:27 pm

My favorite thing about the markets in Seattle is the flowers…they are crazy inexpensive!

Abby     at 6:50 pm

Those waffles look incredible! Love the dresser as well!

katie @ KatieDid     at 7:16 pm

the handles are so adorable. Thrifting is one of my favorite hobbies. It’s such a great feeling when you find gem for a good deal! And woooow the whipped cream and compote look to die for, yum!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 8:46 pm

That dresser is absolutely gorgeous! I love antique furniture.

Emily     at 9:39 pm

That farmers market looks so awesome, I wish we had ones like that near where I live :) Love the new dresser, too!

Kristi     at 10:25 pm

Do you know the background behind Silence Heart Nest? From what I remember, each of its workers studies meditation with an Indian Spiritual advisor, whose spiritual philosophies inform the restaurant. Pretty cool, eh? Also, speaking of kooky, have you been to visit the Troll under the Bridge? It’s right there in your neighborhood! It’s so fun to see your postings in my town, too!

Olena (The Fit Gourmet)     at 11:00 pm

Hi Emily,
I tried your Mexican Quinoa the other day and it was absolutely delicious. I made a few changes but think that your idea to combine quinoa, beans and avocado is top-notch. Thanks!

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs     at 8:53 am

My friends took me to that Farmer’s Market when I visited back in the Fall and I loved it! Grabbed some jam samples, some sweets, even bought a necklace from one of the million attractive guys there. :P That dresser looks like such a sweet find, glad you snagged it.

Marissa     at 8:58 am

Wow, those waffles look great. And lol at the donut shop built out of a horse trailer!

Carol @ Lucky Zucca     at 10:35 am

That dresser is so cute! Good for you for getting it!

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 8:34 pm

Seattle looks so amazing! :-)

Emily     at 10:08 pm

What a wonderful looking breakfast!! I haven’t been there yet! I love the Fremont Fair!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing     at 12:07 am

Wow.. I can’t decide which of your meals looks the best!!! French Toast, pancakes, and waffles?! I’d be in heaven!

Nicole @ Of Cookies and Carrots     at 2:33 am

I was just in fremont today! :) I forgot how fun that place is… We ate ourselves silly at Theo chocolates. So much sugar, so much deliciousness ;)

I’m hoping I can make the solstice parade ths weekend too, that’s always a hoot!

Carrie     at 2:52 am

Try the Ballard Farmer’s Market on Sundays from 10-3. It is simply the best! And the surrounding shops and restaurants are a delight. :)

Planning to hit up Ballard this weekend or next! I keep hearing it’s a great market.

kris (everyday oats)     at 3:25 pm

I’m having a major case of food envy ;) Your breakfasts look great, especially those sweet potato biscuits with the cashew gravy!

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Week 22: My Pregnancy Journey.     at 7:24 pm

[...] than the nursery dresser I picked up this weekend at the farmer’s market, we haven’t bought too much else quite yet.  I am working on getting my registry together, [...]

Janine     at 11:32 pm

I was at the market as well!!!
I wish we would have seen you guys; although I probably would have made you take a pic with me so I could blog about it like a weirdo meeting a celeb. :) it happens
Janine

Oh that would have been fun! :) Definitely say hi next time if I’m there!

Rebecca Pleasure     at 11:01 am

The regular Fremont Sunday Market explodes into an unbelievable event this weekend: the Soltice Parade and celebration. There’s a huge number of vendors all weekend. Be sure to catch the crazy/whimsical/artistic parade at noon on Saturday and the naked bicycle riders just before the parade. Been living here for 16 years and haven’t missed one yet.

I am a little nervous about the big fair and parade! Sounds intense. :) But I will be out there checking it out too – maybe I’ll see you there!

Our $4 Dresser Drawer Makeover Project | Being Pregnant     at 1:53 pm

[...] A few months ago, I found myself at a farmer’s market staring at an adorable antique dresser that I wanted for our son’s nursery, and that I absolutely didn’t need.  But it was so inexpensive and so perfect with our decor that I bought it anyways. [...]

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » To Market.     at 2:26 pm

[...] I have found my favorites.  Juanita Beach market on Fridays, and the bigger Fremont and Ballard markets on Sundays.  But there are so many I still need to see, so I’ve been [...]