For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

How To Make the Perfect Frittata.

Whenever I’m hungry but don’t necessarily feel like making a big production in the kitchen, the frittata is my go-to meal.  Breakfast, lunch, or dinner – doesn’t matter, and you can customize with veggies, herbs, and cheeses to suit any palate or preference.

How to Make the Perfect Frittata

(Print this tutorial!)

Ingredients:  (makes 4 wedges)

• 2-3 cups vegetables or filling
  • 4-6 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 cup chopped herbs
  • 1/4 cup freshly shredded cheese

Instructions:  The key to cooking eggs successfully is to always use a good non-stick pan.  I know non-stick is sometimes controversial, but I’ve had no problems with it, and find it to be necessary to cooking eggs that don’t stick and will slide right out of the pan.  (If you’re interested, these are the pans that I use.)

Even though you will be cooking the eggs on the stovetop, you’ll want to pre-cook the vegetables first since they will take longer.  For my frittata, I cooked red bell pepper and sliced crimini mushrooms.  Feel free to customize yours with whatever veggies you have on hand!  Just make sure to stagger the cooking to account for cooking times (if say, you are using potatoes or something that takes longer).

While the veggies cook, prepare the egg mixture in a small bowl or dish.

Crack 4-6 whole eggs and beat together with the milk and a generous pinch of salt until well combined.  If you are using a lot of vegetables, you may want to err on the side of using more eggs too, to ensure that there is enough egg mixture to cover all of the filling.

Once the vegetables have softened and cooked to a nice golden brown…

Pour the egg mixture into the pan.  Do NOT stir!

You want to let the mixture settle and firm up – we’re not making scrambled eggs here.  Make sure the stove is set to medium heat.

While the eggs begin to cook, chop your herbs.  I used fresh basil for this frittata, but you could use any number of delicious herbs – mint, oregano, dill, parsley, and more!

Sprinkle the herbs on top and allow them to settle into the filling.

Occasionally, run a spatula around the outside of the eggs to loosen it from the side and check to make sure that the bottom isn’t browning too quickly (if it is, turn the heat down).

The frittata will continue to cook, and you can prepare your shredded cheese for topping.  Once shredded, sprinkle a handful on top!

Once you pour the egg mixture into the pan, you should need about ten minutes of cooking time.  To check to see if the frittata is close to being done, give the handle of the pan a little jiggle.  You want the base to appear to be mostly firm, with just a little bit of liquid still remaining on the top.  If the whole pan starts swimming when you shake it, it’s not cooked yet!

Once you only have a bit of liquid egg on top, transfer the whole pan to the oven and set to broil on high.

Make sure whenever you are broiling that you always leave the oven cracked open just a tiny bit – otherwise the oven will overheat and fill with smoke!  Check the pan half-way through and see if it is cooking evenly – you may need to rotate the pan to the other side after a few minutes so that it cooks evenly.

The end result should be golden brown on top, and have no jiggle or liquid left.  Be careful pulling the pan out of the oven – the handle will be HOT now!

Using your spatula, carefully slide the frittata out of the pan and onto a cutting board for slicing.  You never want to slice it in the pan, or you risk scratching the non-stick surface.

Using a sharp knife or pizza roller, cut into four wedges.  Serve with a delicious sourdough English muffin, and enjoy!

Frittatas are easy and fast, require very little mess or cleanup, and can literally be made with a zillion different flavor combinations.  Here are a few other tasty variations to try:

• onions, black beans, peppers, cilantro, and cheddar
  • mushrooms,  roasted red peppers, and feta cheese
  • asparagus, lemon zest, and goat cheese
  • diced potatoes, Field Roast sausage, and white cheddar

The list goes on and on!

The next time you’re looking for a quick meal idea that’s healthy, easy, and delicious – give the frittata a try.  I promise it won’t disappoint.

Enjoy!

If you’re looking for pregnancy news, I’m sharing an unexpected side effect of pregnancy today over on Babble!

Paige     at 1:37 pm

I agree that non stick pans are KEY. And thanks for reminding me about frittatas for dinner. I wanted eggs, but didn’t want to do the whole breakfast for dinner thang:)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 2:02 pm

Honestly, nothing beats a veggie frittata in my book! It is the perfect food!

Cassie @ Naturally Cassie     at 2:28 pm

Thank you!!
I have been searching for a good, healthy frittata recipe. This one is perfect!

Jen     at 5:32 pm

Hi Emily, I’ve had this question for ages and no one’s been able to answer it for me, so I’ll ask you too (knowing you have a culinary degree): Is there a way to make an eggless frittata? I developed a mild allergy to eggs over time (baked goods are okay thank goodness but eating eggs straight is not) and I miss frittatas so much. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Hmmm I’m not sure about that. Maybe with a silken tofu?

Erin     at 8:31 pm

Emily – I’m a new reader who is VERY thankful for this post. Today after a long day running after toddlers this post about frittatas was in the back of my mind and SAVED THE NIGHT!

I used my smallish Le Creuset pan and added just a smidge more olive oil before I added the eggs. Cooked it on super low heat and it came out not too bad. Not perfect but just in case anyone out there is in the same – lack of nonstick pan – boat as me. I think since it was smaller I was able to handle it better.

So glad you were able to make it! :)

Sonja     at 9:45 pm

Used this recipe this morning… Wow! Delicious! Thanks so much for the tutorial and pics. Made it so easy to follow!

Emily     at 11:42 pm

I love the idea of lemon zest in frittata–will have to try that soon. I love to make them, too. My favorite method is to bake it completely in the oven in a baking dish, rather than on the stove top. I know it’s not traditional, but it’s easier for me.

That works too!

5 Things to Consider When Creating a Week’s Worth of Workouts     at 8:39 am

[…] was inspired by reading Emily’s post about frittatas, and didn’t want the usual Wednesday breakfast-for-dinner, so I switched up […]

ashley @ it starts with pie     at 8:42 am

oh. holy. YUM. seeing as i seem to have hit a dinner wall and run completely out of dinner ideas lately, the husband made this for us last night. not much of a kitchen expert himself, he nailed it with your handy step-by-step instructions. thanks! it was fab.u.lous.

jane     at 8:53 am

thanks so much for a step by step! i am a new cook but love to cook! unfortunately i tried a frittata recipe (i know, really easy) but the directions said take out when done. take out when done?! but how do i know? lol. i like that you tell exactly what it should look like when you move it to the oven etc. making one tonight! thanks :-). also, i made the black bean quinoa recipe for my parents and bf the other night (we did it as a side dish with chicken-my dining companions are new to quinoa…) and it was DELISH!

Whohoo, glad you liked it!

Cindy Robinson     at 9:47 am

Great step by step directions. There were a couple points you hit that I was missing in my previous frittata ventures. The shake the pan to see how giggly your eggs are, checkin the bottom, and opening your door when broiling. I made one this morning, it was delish! Thanks Emily (does anyone call you Em?).

So glad it was a success! All my friends and family call me Em. :)

Ashley B     at 5:53 pm

What an amazing step by step! I’ve never tried fritattas before, which is silly, because I really do like eggs. Just got 12 farm freshies from the market – I MUST try this with black beans, roasted corn, roasted red pepper and pepper jack! Thank you so much for this, I love your blog and everything about it :) You are amazing.

Carla @ write-foot-forward.com     at 2:22 pm

Thank you for the tutorial! Tried one last night, and it was delicious!

Luna     at 5:19 am

Nice frittata…I often cook frittata but use a little bit of bicarbonate instead of salt to give fluffiness, poke some holes with a wooden spoon on the frittata to let the runny egg on top “fill” it, then cover with a lid so that it cooks better and keeps the moisture, finally I flip it :) easy and quick, that’s the way we do it in Italy…next time I’m going to try the broiler for a change!

Brittany     at 12:45 pm

Just made my own version of this for brunch…tomato, onion, green bell pepper, basil and mexican blend cheese. Then topped it off with spicy salsa! So good! Thanks for sharing and helping me successfully make my first frittata :)

ARPL     at 4:10 pm

My attempt at the fritatta was a fail. I had the heat at medium and it seemed to IMMEDIATELY appear to be burnt. When I saw what was happening, I distracted my brunch guests, crossed my fingers and turned it into scrambled eggs. I took a taste and it didn’t “taste” burnt but it sure wasn’t pretty on the plate. I guess all pans and settings of “medium” are different.

Alana     at 4:20 pm

What size pan did you use? I have both the sizes you linked to.. thanks!

I used the smaller one!

Nelle     at 1:54 pm

Tried it this morning! I think I left it in the oven a tad too long, but it was still delicious.

Any recommendations for leftover storage/re-heating? Too much for just one person!

Michelle     at 5:43 pm

Your frittata looks delicious! And I have a few questions that I’d like to ask. :)
I have notice that you’ve used tomatoes for your frittata, does that make the frittata liquidy at all?
And how loose should the eggs be between the layers?

You can drop the tomatoes on top at the end – once it has finished cooking! Not sure exactly what you mean about the eggs, but you want to jiggle the pan to make sure they are cooked and not still liquid. Hope that helps!

shannon     at 12:40 pm

thank you so much for the tip to keep the oven cracked. i know nothing about cooking and i am attempting a frittata. your site helped me so much!

Melissa     at 2:29 pm

I know this post is really old, but I just used this tutorial to make a frittata, and it worked really well! (This is saying a lot, considering I am NOT a cook at all.) Thank you!

running shoes