Introducing Jonah.

One of the things that has been the most fun about being pregnant for me, is that I’ve been able to experience it along side my big sister.  Sisters being pregnant together seems like such a special treat, and I feel so blessed to have had Rebecca as a resource and friend through all of the many ups, downs, and changes.

Growing up, she was three years older and always full of advice and stories of what was to come for me down the road.  So it seemed fitting that she would be pregnant first, about 20 weeks ahead of me, and ready to fill me in on the amazing journey that is pregnancy.

Hard to believe that thirty years ago we were babies ourselves, and now we are the ones having babies.

IMG_8258

After 42.5 weeks of pregnancy (17 days overdue!), 36 hours of labor, and 6 hours of pushing, the first new arrival to our family is finally here.

World, meet Jonah.  He weighs 8lbs 12 ounces, and I already love every single inch of him.

Jonah4

He is a lucky little guy, with a wonderful set of parents.  Not to mention grandparents and aunts who are dying to meet him as soon as possible!

Jonah1

His mama deserves an extra congratulations for what she went through to bring him into this world.  After what seemed like the world’s best pregnancy (no sickness, no fatigue, etc.) she paid for it with a pretty grueling labor, that ended with a 2-hour emergency surgery.  But when all was said and done, both Rebecca and Jonah were safe, happy, and together.

Jonah2

I can’t wait until I can hold him in my arms and tell him how much I love him.  It is times like these that make living far apart so tough.

Jonah3

What an exciting week for our family!  Hard to believe that Casey and I will be doing this ourselves in just four short months.  We assembled our crib last night so it’s definitely starting to feel like it’s coming sooner than later now.  In the meantime, I’ve been attempting to work on starting our registry, and running into all sorts of frustrations with making decisions on what we need!

For a fun slideshow look at the first half of my pregnancy, check out today’s Babble!

Thank you for all the many tweets, comments, and well-wishes for Jonah’s arrival.  I hope he is feeling all of our love!

Kristina @ spabettie     at 3:27 pm

oh, welcome sweet Jonah! I love the photos, especially the next to last where they’re both lying there, facing each other… so sweet.

How great to experience this with your sister – it must make you even more excited for your own!!! <3

Lisa @ Fit in the Midwest     at 3:27 pm

Congrats Auntie Emily! Wow, your sister did have an easy pregnancy and a tough labor. Glad little Jonah is healthy and such a beautiful baby. Hope you get to meet him soon!

Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life     at 3:28 pm

Ohhh he is so adorable! Congrats to your family and I glad that your sister is doing better, what a tough birth!

Casey     at 3:30 pm

Congrats! Being an aunt is awesome. I have a 3 1/2 year old nephew, and will have a niece in October!

My fiance’s mother was 3 weeks late with his older brother! She thought she was going to be pregnant forever! When my sister was pregnant with my nephew, the doctor told her that they would only give her one week over her due date before inducing. 17 days must have been awful!

Carly D. @ CarlyBananas     at 3:30 pm

Awww, huge congrats to your sister and your family! I’m so happy she & baby Jonah came through that long labor nice and healthy!

erica     at 3:31 pm

congrats to your entire family on the birth of baby jonah!!!

i was following your tweets about not knowing what was going on and getting anxious right along with you. glad to know everything worked out!

he’s a cutie :)

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 3:31 pm

Aw! Congrats! He’s perfect! :)

Gina @ running to the kitchen     at 3:32 pm

Oh Jonah is adorable! Being across the country is definitely hard at times like this. Hope you get to meet him soon. And I hope your sister is recovering well. It sounds like a crueling labor!

Amanda @ Cucina Amanda     at 3:35 pm

Congratulations to your sister! Jonah is absolutely adorable!!!

Sana     at 3:36 pm

Sooo happy for all the new additions to your family!!!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 3:37 pm

He is really cute! Congratulations on your new baby nephew!

Katie KS     at 3:39 pm

Big props to your sister for being so tough! And Jonah is adorable. Sometimes I wonder if it evens out … I had a rough pregnancy, was induced 8 days late and then once things got going, pushed her out in 30 minutes feeling very little pain with an epidural and had a fairly quick recovery. (We were at Christmas Mass when she was 64 hours old and Christmas dinner with 20 people a few hours later!) My sister had a fairly easy pregnancy and ended up almost having an emergency C-section (still had a C but they were able to prep her and let her husband in the room and her be awake rather than the knock you out now kind.) So I’ll hope that for you the tough morning sickness will mean an easy labor!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing     at 3:40 pm

He is PRECIOUS!! Congrats!!

Kate     at 3:49 pm

What a handsome little man, and your sister is a warrior! What a long labor and delivery! So excited for you and your husband, you’re going to love the new journey!

Anne @ The Denim Pixie     at 3:50 pm

What a gorgeous little guy!!! Congrats to your whole family!!!! <3

Jo @ Jo In the Kitchen     at 4:01 pm

What a precious little baby! Congratulations to your family :)

Maria     at 4:02 pm

How adorbs is he?! I’m happy to hear your sister is doing well :-) I’ve been following you on twitterland! 4 months is going to fly by.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga     at 4:04 pm

Congrats on Jonah’s arrival and how cool that you and your sis could be pregnant at the same time! :)

Heather     at 4:05 pm

Welcome to the world, Jonah! Wow, what a number you did on your poor mommy.. much props to her for giving it her all.

Sarah @ goingongoals     at 4:12 pm

Congrats!!! It is soo hard living far from new loved ones. My almost sister-in-law had a baby earlier this month. It is sooo hard being so far away! Hang in there!

Kiran     at 4:12 pm

CONGRATS to the new parents and family. Jonah is so cute :)

Kim @ girlevolving     at 4:13 pm

Hooray for being an aunt!! And your sister is amazing!

Tina     at 4:14 pm

Love the baby picture of you and Rebecca. Rebecca has the sweetest grin on her face!

Red Deception     at 4:16 pm

Happy Birth Day Jonah!!

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan     at 4:17 pm

Adorable! Congratulations to your sister, her husband, and your family!
My sister and I were pregnant at the same time. We were 2 months apart. It was wonderful to go through that experience together.

Balancing Sylvia     at 4:18 pm

You sister is amazing and that is a big beautiful boy :) I love his name. I understand that it is going to be very tough being away from your family right now and meeting the baby. My nephew was born 3 days before I deployed and I wasn’t able to go see him. I’m counting down the days until Christmas when I can finally meet him. My mom is making sure to post plenty of pictures/videos for me to help me keep up.

Gina (Yogattude)     at 4:20 pm

First, that throwback photo is so adorable, I love the smiles and love pouring through it! Second, baby Jonah is so precious! Huge congratulations to the whole family!

Erin (Travel Eat Repeat)     at 4:31 pm

Wow, 17 days overdue! Your poor sister. What a beautiful baby — so many blessings for your family right now.

Allison     at 4:47 pm

He is so adorable! Congratulations Emily!

Elisabeth     at 4:48 pm

He’s so sweet (and I love his name)! I’m still shocked she went 17 days over and 6 HOURS of pushing! (and to have to top it off with surgery after all…) My mom was in labor for 3 days with me, but I don’t think she ended up pushing anywhere near that long (although, they did break my collarbones to get me out…). So glad everything turned out alright in the end :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 5:04 pm

Oh Emily, he is just precious! Seriously, what an amazing adventure your family has started. I love his name too! I’m so happy for your sister and your family!

Graze With Me     at 5:05 pm

Aww, he’s adorable and completely perfect. Congrats to the happy family.

But – 36 hours of labor??! 6 HOURSSS OF PUSHING?

I just fainted.

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 5:09 pm

What a perfect little angel! Congrats to your family!! :)

Shari     at 5:32 pm

He’s adorable! Congratulations to your whole family :-)

Kamaile     at 5:32 pm

The pictures are heartwarming! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Halat     at 5:36 pm

Congratulations! He is so cute and adorable.
cant wait to see little Jonah and your son’s pictures together…:)

Alyson     at 5:37 pm

He really is beautiful. And I wish your sister a speedy recovery, and lots of amnesia about the experience. Every baby is a special sort of labor (though Jonah, let me say, is pretty extra special in the labor department) but every one is worth it.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking)     at 5:54 pm

He’s so sweet! I am a long time away from having kids, but it would be so fun to be pregnant the same time as my sister :)

MaryBe@Accidentally-Vegan     at 6:07 pm

Congrats on your new little addition. All the photos are so sweet. And how nice that the cousins will be so close in age!

Allison     at 6:13 pm

Congratulations on your new nephew, Emily! He’s adorable.

kris (everyday oats)     at 6:14 pm

How adorable is baby Jonah! Congrats on the newest addition to your family! It’ll be so fun for baby garnish and Jonah to grow up together!

christina cadden     at 6:16 pm

Wow, that is a long labor! I am glad mom and baby are doing well! You and your sister look so much alike!

Jen G.     at 6:29 pm

Congrats! Aunt-hood ROCKS! Unlike with your own kids, you get to load them up on caffeine and candy, then send them home to Mom and Dad :-) (Although with one of your own, you may want to wait until Baby Garnish is at camp or otherwise occupied!)

Reading (and chickens)     at 6:45 pm

What a beautiful baby! Congratulations to your family!

Katie     at 7:45 pm

What a cutie pie! Congrats Aunt Emily! :-)

Kristi     at 8:01 pm

Congrats on becoming an aunt! What a cutie!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 8:20 pm

What a little love pie. I don’t know where that phrase came from, but he looks like one. :) Congrats!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 9:12 pm

Awww congrats to your sister and your whole family! How exciting. He’s just adorable.

Maybe you’ll have an easier labor since you’ve had the tougher pregnancy?!! :-) My heart goes out to your sister; I can’t imagine how tough that must have been.

Julia     at 9:31 pm

My sister and I gave birth to boys 2 weeks to the day apart. My first child and her second so it was wonderful that she’d done it before and had all kinds of advice and support. Our little guys (now 7.5 years old!) are the best of buddies!

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)     at 9:36 pm

Awww! He is so cute!

Heather     at 10:06 pm

OMG your POOR SISTER! what a big baby! I cant even imagine how exhausted she is! what a trooper!

katie @ KatieDid     at 11:24 pm

such precious moments! congrats to your family, and what a year for all of you it will be!

Ellen     at 11:29 pm

my sister just had her baby as well. 6/15, 12 days over due, and after 3.5 DAYS of labor! it is such a relief when they finally show their pretty little faces, healthy and happy :)

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs     at 12:16 am

Welcome to the world, Jonah! It’s so wonderful that you and your sister are having babies so close to each other in age!!

Hayley @ Oat Couture     at 5:37 am

Ah how cute Jonah is!! :) Congratulations to your sister! :)

Babs     at 6:01 am

Wow your poor sister! At least she has a bundle of crying, pooping joy :)

Lee     at 8:26 am

Congrats! He’s beautiful and I love the name Jonah.

Erin @ Naturally Addicted     at 8:34 am

OMG he is absolutely precious! Congratulations on the new baby!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet     at 9:29 am

CONGRATULATIONS to your sister and brother-in-law!! I’m sure it was such a relief to finally hear from them! I’m sure you’re dying to get on the next plane to visit them :)

Nathalie     at 9:53 am

Congratulations to Rebecca and her husband!
I love the little one’s name…Jonah…lovely name!

Marissa     at 9:56 am

Aw, welcome to the world little Jonah! I hope you’re sister is doing alright, that sounds like one grueling birth.

Beth     at 10:46 am

Congrats Emily on becoming an auntie!

Katherine     at 11:07 am

I am glad little Jonah is here safely :)

Sarah K     at 12:07 pm

Congrats to Rebecca and her husband! He is such a cutie…. glad everyone is safe.

Amykinz @ Foodie4Healing     at 12:15 pm

Emily, if you need any help with your registry or have questions about any of it, I’m available anytime! You can email me by going to my blog & clicking on my picture in the left-hand column. I’d love to help! Having worked in childcare for years and years & now gearing up to having baby #2, I’ve used a lot of the stuff & know a thing or two about what’s good & what’s not & what you really need & what you don’t.

Caitlin     at 12:27 pm

Congrats to you and your sister! So exciting for you both!
I wanted to tell you about a children’s boutique/consignment store in Wallingford Center called Paron’s Closet – (http://www.paronscloset.com) it’s owned by my mom and cousin, and my sister works there :) Cutest store ever, super reasonable prices for both new and gently used baby clothes, and they also have maternity! If you live near Greenlake it should be pretty close to you, and if you haven’t been to Wallingford yet it’s a super cute neighborhood. They even have a farmer’s market in the parking lot of the center! Check them out if you get a chance, and if you plan on going feel free to email me and I’ll make sure they treat you well! :)

Jonah is so, so, so precious! And many props to his mama for all she has gone through. Many blessings to her and your family.

Karolina     at 12:54 pm

Awww…what a precious little baby! Congrats to your sister- I can’t imagine 36 hours of labor. Yikes! So fun that your kids will be so close in age:)

Carol     at 1:21 pm

CUTE!!! Congrats to your family!

Candy (Healthy In Candy Land)     at 5:58 pm

Congratulations, Aunt Emily! And to your sister and bro-in-law too. He is just beautiful. I am pretty sure that little boy babies are the best gift in the entire universe! (Says a mom of two boys.) :)

ashley @ cooking for john     at 3:00 am

yay! congrats to your sister and her husband, and congrats to you aunt emily! :)

Emma @ Getting There & Going Places     at 6:55 am

Aww beautiful post!
Congratulations to your sister, you and your family! :D

Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out     at 7:52 am

I was pregnant with my older sister, too. She was about a month ahead of me. And I agree, it was a very special experience. We spent countless nights on the phone talking about weird symptoms and cravings. Pretty neat, Emily. Glad you got to experience it.

Alaina     at 4:43 pm

What an adorable nephew! Congratulations to your sister and brother in law!! :-)

Charlie (The Runner Beans)     at 12:15 pm

Congratulations to your sister, what a gorgeous little boy. it will be so fun for your babies to grow up together! xx

Cat @Breakfast to Bed     at 12:41 pm

Oh my oh my, that lil baby hat is entirely edible and I love it.

Cindy Robinson     at 2:43 pm

Awe! So glad everyone is healthy and recovering!:) Congratulations on your nephew!

Ashley     at 10:51 am

Congrats to your sister and the whole family! Jonah looks perfect…I wonder if he’s going to be a stubborn one! ;)

Showered With Love | Being Pregnant     at 1:01 pm

[...] than having an actual BABY at a baby shower?  This weekend was my first time finally meeting my nephew Jonah, and he is just as precious and perfect as I [...]

Thankful. | Daily Garnish     at 8:59 pm

[...] Rebecca, flew all the way from Connecticut to Seattle with her husband, Sam, and my adorable nephew, Jonah.  This was their first time meeting Cullen, and the first time the baby boys would be [...]

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » No Place Like Home.     at 7:41 am

[...] we turned it into a mini family reunion.  My big sis flew down from Connecticut with my nephew – a cousin reunion!  We haven’t seen each other since Christmas – nine painfully long [...]

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Holiday Arrivals.     at 12:19 am

[...] family is here!  My sister, her husband, and my nephew all arrived late Tuesday night.  We didn’t get to bed until the wee hours of the morning, so [...]

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Friday.     at 4:07 pm

[...] “school picture” of my adorable nephew, [...]

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Labor Day Love.     at 9:36 pm

[...] what was a wonderful weekend spent with family.  Saturday afternoon, both my sisters and my nephew arrived, and we spent the next four days in a whirlwind of playgrounds, delicious meals, and [...]