Market Weekends.

The weather gods sure are shining on Seattle these days.  When I have long days of needing to get a lot of work done, they make it gloomy and grey so that I don’t mind sitting in my office and watching the misty rain come down outside my window.

And then as soon as Friday rolls around, they always seem to know that the weekend is here, and they blow the clouds away to reveal gorgeous mountains and sunshine, and temperatures that finally allow me to pull out my summer dresses!

Sunday was my idea of the perfect summer weather – glorious sunshine and 75 degrees with a light breeze.  Doesn’t get any better than that.  Sarah and I took advantage of the weather and headed out to the Ballard Farmer’s Market…

I have been getting recommendations to come to this market since before we even moved here, and I can’t believe it took me this long to finally do it!

Families, musicians, dogs, food trucks, produce, fresh flowers, and so SO much more!

Gorgeous succulents…

Every type of organic grain imaginable.

Greens, greens, and more greens!

Any so many other fun specialty items.  I can’t wait to go back and try a little bit of everything.

If we weren’t getting ready to go out of town for the holiday weekend, I would have stocked up on a ton of fresh produce.  LOVE summer beets!

One of my favorite things about Seattle is the amazing FLOWERS!!  I have never seen a city with such an abundance of colorful, gorgeous, and cheap flowers all year round.

Couldn’t resist picking up a bouquet for us to enjoy this week at home.

Gorgeous blooming peonies.  Would you believe that this cost me TEN dollars?

With our flowers in hand, we were hungry for lunch!  One of my favorite things about living here is how vegetarian friendly everything is – even food trucks at a farmer’s market!

Apple sage vegan hot dog topped with grilled onions and peppers, dill relish, ketchup, and mustard on a grilled bun.

Eaten on the curb in the sunshine.  It seriously does NOT get better than this.

Oh wait, yes it does.  Washed down with an old-fashioned root beer that Sarah and I shared.

After massive hot dog consumption, we headed home to get our gorgeous new blooms into water…

Do you know that the entire reason our wedding was in May was because I knew I wanted a bouquet full of peonies?  They are by far my favorite flower, and only available here for a few short weeks a year.

Peony season makes me very happy, and I’m excited to enjoy these all week long.

Looking forward to many more market weekends this summer, and hoping the weather stays this beautiful for each and every one.

janetha @ meals & moves     at 2:16 pm

I am so envious–Seattle has the BEST markets! Love all the photos, especially the ones with the gorgeous flowers.

Sana     at 2:19 pm

You and your sister look sooo cute :) I love the vegan hot dog stand!!!

Marci     at 2:20 pm

i hinted a few weeks ago to my husband that i like peonies. he eventually went to a florist and asked for pee-o-nees. my wedding flower obsession was celosia and hydrangeas.

Awwww what a good husband! :)

grace b     at 2:22 pm

I LOVE your sister’s dress. Know where she got it by any chance?

Looks like an amazing farmer’s market! :)

Julie (A Case of the Runs) Reply:

Was thinking the same thing!

Laura Reply:

thinking same thing too!!!!

Forever 21 :)

grace b Reply:

Great! Thank you!

Avery Reply:

I’m glad I saw this! I was about the ask the SAME thing! Haha

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet     at 2:22 pm

Gorgeous flowers! And mmmm kombucha :) Love farmer’s markets. It’s the best part of summer!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 2:25 pm

Peonies were my bouquet flower too- they’re gorgeous!!

And that ‘hotdog’ looks so darn good. I think my hotdog craving is back.. uh-oh! :)

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 2:25 pm

I REALLY want a freshly grilled veggie dog like that! Was it good? I had a veggie dog only once, and it left much to be desired…

DELICIOUS! Try the Field Roast brand – I love them!

Michaela     at 2:27 pm

omg, those flowers are absolutely stunning!! I love peonies, too! Aweseome.
I can´t believe how vegetarian-friendly Seattle is. Good for you :)

Sarah     at 2:27 pm

This post makes me giggle!! My Sister in law was in Seattle this weekend and she said it was so cold she had to wear 2 sweaters! Then again it’s already hit a miserable 103 degrees in TX so that sounds pretty heavenly to me right now!

Where was she?? :) It was almost 80 degrees here, which is HOT in Seattle! But in the mornings it’s still definitely cool and in the 60s.

Sarah     at 2:35 pm

I’ve tried a few veggie dogs, hoping to feed my hot dog craving- it seems the trick is to get veggie SAUSAGE and then dress it up like a hot dog! Thanks for the idea:-).

Field Roast brand is AMAZING and has a great ingredient list.

Sarah Reply:

Thank you so much for the tip! I’ll look for those.

Cait @ Beyond Bananas     at 2:36 pm

YUM! All that produce looks great! I will finally be able to get to the Farmer’s Market right down the road from me this week! For some reason .. it is only open from 11-3 on Wednesdays. Now that Summer School is in session and I get out at 12, I will be able to go!

Lindsey     at 2:37 pm

It has been the opposite here, the silly cloud roll in on the weekends! haha

I was amazed by all the beautiful flowers and how cheap they were when we were in Seattle last July! So much so that I bought a huge bouquet that made the 16 hour drive home with us!

So worth it!

Lauren @ Lettuce Eat Cake     at 2:38 pm

That looks delish! Apple and sage veggie sausage..wow. BTW, I mentioned you in a post recently about getting me inspired to start weight training. Just wanted to thank you again for the motivation. I’m five weeks into an awesome new strength routine!

That is awesome! So happy to have inspired you. :) Thanks!

Hayley @ Oat Couture     at 2:39 pm

Honestly your life looks like so much fun! :) That veggie hot dog looks great, I had one in NYC and was expecting it to be bad compared to the real thing but it was actually even better! :)

Melissa @ HerGreenLife     at 2:44 pm

I generally avoid processed fake meat, but this is kind-of making me want a veggie dog! Maybe mac and cheese with veggie dogs? We’ll just call it a pregnancy craving ;)

On the flowers and wedding — if I could change one thing about our wedding, I would have had it during a month when we could have gotten local (and maybe even homegrown) flowers. Mid-November in St. Louis is just not quite the right time for that!

I do too! This was a Field Roast dog, which has an awesome short ingredient list of no soy proteins, and things like potatoes and other vegetables. SO delicious!

Melissa @ HerGreenLife Reply:

It looks like some WF stores around the country carry Field Roast products. I’ll have to look for them the next time I’m there. Thanks for the tip on a good product!

Amber K Reply:

That sounds good!

Laura @ Backstage Pass     at 3:10 pm

The market looks wonderful! And I am jealous of the vegan hot dog, none of the street vendors in Milwaukee ever have veg. options. The ballpark offers soy hot dogs, which are really delicious!
Your flowers are lovely. What beautiful colors!

Katie @ cooklaughmove     at 3:12 pm

I loved seeing the can of Faygo Root Beer! Faygo is my favorite “big” brand of pop!

And how fun would it be to hire that hot dog cart to cater your event? I would have had it at my wedding!!!

Morgan     at 3:34 pm

I LOVE Peonies too! I am jealous at how gorgeous you flowers are. I must go get some now!

Joanna@DrizzleofSunshine     at 3:41 pm

I love the outdoor markets! The flowers are usually a steal and those are just gorgeous!! I’m sure it’ll brighten your week for sure!

Heather     at 3:49 pm

The Ballard Market is one of my favorite things to do in Seattle. I was there on Sunday morning too! How funny!

Alaina     at 3:57 pm

Yep, your posts are definitely making me want to move out to the West Coast. Everything looks so bright, yummy and relaxing! :-)

Cindy Robinson     at 3:57 pm

I just LOVE fresh flowers. They’re so cheery, and make me smile. I try to get some every few weeks to keep around the house. I am amazed at how beautiful those bouquets are. And so cheap! I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a peony in real life. Your pictures of them are beautiful. That hot dog looked amazing too! YUM.

Lauren     at 3:58 pm

I seriously can’t believe I don’t go to the market more often…seeing your beautiful photos reminds me I need to get my butt out the door on the weekends and hit up the Fremont and Ballard markets! Glad you are enjoying Seattle life so far!

Stephanie     at 4:10 pm

Looks like a great market! I love going the one here (in Chicago) and finding new recipes to make with all of the produce I purchase.

fittingbackin     at 4:15 pm

beautiful pictures!! I love all of the greenery and your top is so cute!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 4:16 pm

Oh my gosh — your farmer’s market is so much more extravagant than ours!! Rochester’s is one of the oldest in the country, but dangggg that is a beautiful setup!!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 4:25 pm

So jealous of your gorgeous flowers! I always want to buy some for my house but they’re just ridiculous in price.

Gina (Yogattude)     at 4:30 pm

Fun! It’s been too long since I’ve been to the Ballard Market (It’s my fav!) I also got a gorgeous market bouquet from a friend this weekend and the darn kitty cats keep attacking the blooms:(

Have fun on your baby moon, you will definitely get to break out the summer dresses in Vegas!

Meg     at 4:53 pm

Love the Ballard farmers market. Have you tried the cherries there yet? It doesn’t get any better than Washington cherries!

faith     at 5:02 pm

I love peonies too. And sisters are the best! My sister gave me a peony bush for my birthday last month which makes it extra special.

lena     at 5:27 pm

I was at the Ballard market yesterday too! Would have loved to run into you and your sister. Looks like the two of you had a great time enjoying the sunshine.

Jennifer (The Gourmetour)     at 6:26 pm

Where did your sister buy that dress/top? I am in love!!!

I love peonies too, and I want them at my wedding so badly, I think they are delicate but significant and definitely beautiful. Unfortunately, I also have my heart set on getting married in the fall. Good thing I’m not engaged yet, so I have some time to figure it out haha!

Alison @ Hospitality Haven     at 6:27 pm

I have the same glass jug as you! Got it as a wedding present nearly 5 years ago. :)

Katherine     at 7:32 pm

Such beautiful photos!

And a little side note, you must share your secret for having such an amazing successful blog?!?

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs     at 8:02 pm

I can’t wait to visit in the summertime! I went in the fall and the Ballard Market was more goods than veg. What beautiful produce & flowers <3

emily @ sustenancespace     at 9:04 pm

the ballard market is my favorite! we always get the wood-fired pizza from veraci for lunch.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 9:29 pm

Peonies are absolutely gorgeous – I love them!

Erin {Shortcut to Bliss}     at 9:37 pm

Those flowers are out of control. My mum lives there and I am always SO sad because I can’t take flowers home with me. My kids love the street performers. The last time I was there this guys was hula hooping and juggling at the same time.

Summer is amazing there, but so is fall. I always bring the kids up to go apple picking and then we can jelly, jam, cider, etc. over the weekend. Love Seattle!

katie @ KatieDid     at 9:39 pm

A couple weeks back I got a sausage at my farmer’s market almost identical to that one! I had pretty much just eaten breakfast but its’ smell was so enticing I gave in. Mine was not vegan, and came with some sort of slaw and dijon mustard, it was HEAVEN! Love all of your beautiful pictures, and flowers always brighten my day too :)

Jackie @ That Deep Breath     at 9:52 pm

Those flowers are beautiful, and that market looks like so much fun! It’s so great to live somewhere like that where the community can put something so fabulous together!

Chelsea     at 9:55 pm

Do apple sage veggie dogs taste vaguely of apples?! I was given the choice between Mexican Chipotle and Apple Sage veggie dogs the other day and chose the chipotle because I was scared the other would taste like fruit. But then I burned my mouth of with the spicy chipotle and am curious about the apple sage now.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing     at 10:43 pm

Seattle sounds kind of amazing!!

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 10:49 pm

I’ve heard about this farmer’s market all the way in NH! So cool to see pics :-)

ashley @ cooking for john     at 11:02 pm

vegan hot dog truck? lucky you! our farmer’s market has a food truck that offers one vegan/veggie option, i was surprised considering we live in michigan and it’s not the most veggie friendly state.

your sister’s shirt or dress is super cute!

kris (everyday oats)     at 11:41 pm

Gorgeous photos! Seattle has the most amazing markets!

Courtney @ girl in the pink     at 12:32 am

This post makes me miss Seattle! I recently moved to California, but I grew up in Seattle and went to school at SPU (right across the canal from Fremont). I used to hit up this market all the time! I had no idea how amazing flowers were at Seattle markets until I moved!!

Jeanelle @ Glocal Girl     at 7:42 am

Pregnancy looks great on you! And I agree, nothing better than sunshine, good vibes and a HOT DOG :) What a day.

meg     at 10:47 am

You should be a model for beautiful maternity clothes !! Stunning !

Clare - Never Niche     at 11:38 am

Peonies are my favorite too!

Cait's Plate     at 1:43 pm

Um…YOU GUYS HAVE THE BEST MARKETS! I don’t think I could ever find anything that amazing around here!

Lauren L.     at 3:05 pm

I thought of you and your favorite comfy maternity jeans when I saw J Brand had maternity jeans on sale on Rue La La today. I thought about getting a pair for days like today when I have a big lunch then have to sit at a desk all afternoon ;) Happy Shopping!

Amanda     at 3:22 pm

i love reading your blog. you’re going to be such an amazing mom. such a great family you will have! :)

Karolina     at 9:08 pm

This place looks like somewhere I’d want to visit on an almost daily basis. It looks fantastic! I also love your topic. It’s REALLY cute!

Angela (Oh She Glows)     at 12:15 pm

I just got an INSANE craving for a veggie hotdog! Man that looks good.

Meagan     at 12:45 pm

I didn’t know that wedding-flower fact you shared. That’s cute!

Emily     at 2:31 pm

I think Farmer’s Markets are my favorite part of summer! I look forward to them all winter! Peonies are my absolute favorite flower – they’re so beautiful and smell heavenly! My mom grows tons of them in the yard so I always leave her house with huge bouquets when they’re in season! :)

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey     at 3:52 pm

Going to the Farmers’ Market is my favorite part of every weekend. I love it. Mine is not near as ‘big or fancy’ as yours, though. :)

Even when I travel, I make it a point to seek out the local farmers’ markets.

Peonies are gorgeous, but the smell – I can’t take it. My almost-MIL brought me a bouquet earlier this summer (from her yard) and they STUNK. Maybe it was just hers? I don’t know…
They didn’t last a couple of hours in my house, before I had to move them to the patio…

~