Mexican Quinoa with Black Beans & Avocado.

My plan for today was to get up early and make a delicious broccoli pasta salad, and then post the recipe this afternoon so that you could all run out and make it this weekend.  Don’t worry, the pasta salad will still happen, but not today.

I am back in the kitchen full force these days, and after months of rarely cooking, my head is swirling with ideas and excitement about food again.  Last night’s dinner wasn’t going to be a recipe, rather just a meal for the three of us to enjoy.  And then I took the first bite.

I immediately dropped my fork, grabbed my camera, and wrote down everything I had done so that I could share it’s deliciousness with all of you.

Mexican Quinoa with Black Beans and Avocado.

Ingredients:  (makes 4 servings)

• 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil, divided
  • 1 large white onion
  • 10 medium button or Crimini mushrooms, diced
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 2 small avocados, peeled and diced
  • 2 tbsp lime juice (or more to taste)
  • salt to taste

Since I did not originally intend this recipe to be featured, I apologize for not having step-by-step photos to accompany the instructions.  Luckily this recipe is as easy as it is delicious!

Instructions:  (Print this recipe!)

1. Start by cooking quinoa in either a rice cooker or on the stovetop.  Add 1 cup dry quinoa (rinsed) to 1.75 cups of water, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until cooked.  Add 1 tbsp coconut oil to the quinoa pot for extra flavor!
  2. Meanwhile, dice the onions and mushrooms and cook over medium heat until lightly browned, and all moisture has cooked out of the mushrooms.
  3. Once the quinoa has finished cooking, add fluffed quinoa and black beans to the pan with mushrooms and onions, and stir to combine and heat through.
  4. Add 2 tbsp lime juice (or more to taste), and reduce heat to low.
  5. Stir in sliced cherry or grape tomatoes and avocado, and season to taste with salt.
  6. Serve with tortilla chips and a dollop of Greek yogurt, and enjoy!

As temperatures are finally rising in Seattle, this was a perfectly refreshing and light dinner to kick off the summer season of fresh produce and colorful veggies!

With the double dose of black beans and quinoa, this dish also packs a huge nutritional punch of complete protein.  Perfect for vegetarians and vegans, but tasty and simple enough to make anyone clean their plate.

Enjoy!

Chloe (South Beach Diet Girl)     at 2:43 pm

Yum yum yum! Anything with quinoa and avocado is good in my book – two of my favorite foods!

kate     at 2:43 pm

Oooh this looks amazing I love avocado especially in salads!

Cathy     at 2:44 pm

This looks sooo good! we already have most of the ingredients on hand so we’ll be making this for dinner soon.

Nadia Jaber     at 2:45 pm

looks delish! but what happened to the print reci-page?

Just added it! Had to get the post up first, and then go back and add the printable link. :) Hope you enjoy!

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs     at 2:45 pm

WOW this looks like my kind of heaven. I’ve been eating so much quinoa, lime and mushrooms lately! I was going to make Flying Onion’s quinoa salad- http://goo.gl/Mc2mX for dinner tonight but will probably make your recipe… anything to get more lime in my life :D

Katie KS     at 2:46 pm

Yummy – but now I want the broccoli pasta salad recipe because this morning I promised to bring “some kind of pasta/vegetable salad” to a cookout on Sunday – and as I typed it I thought “I have no idea what I’m going to make!”

Ahh shoot! It’s coming – I promise!

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey     at 2:47 pm

I love all of the flavors involved, so I’m certain it is delicious! I have a slow cooker full of spicy black bean soup (that I’m going to top with avocado and Greek yogurt when I serve it) cooking away at home today. As blisteringly HOT as it has been here in Charlotte, I inexplicably wanted soup!
I will definitely try this. I’m always open to new ways to make quinoa, as I don’t love it, but want to (blasphemy, I know!). :)

~

Trust me, I understand. I can eat soup any day of the year!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 2:47 pm

So many good quinoa salad recipes out there recently. This one looks delish and easy!

Rose     at 2:49 pm

Holy moly this looks and sounds amazing!

Amy Kaye     at 2:50 pm

Sounds delish! Especially with the avocados for summer. Any substitutions for the coconut oil for those who don’t keep that as a pantry item? Thanks!

Olive oil would work too! Coconut oil just gives it a bit more of that summery flavor. :)

Bambi     at 2:50 pm

I just picked up some quinoa and was going to look for a fun recipe to use. This looks amazing and I know what I’m having this weekend. Thanks for sharing it.

Maryann     at 2:52 pm

Yeah a quinoa salad I will definately make. Not sure about the mushrooms unless I really dice so small I don’t notice them. Happy to see you posting recipes and look forward to the pasta brocolli recipe. Our local veggies are starting already I have had a lot of strawberries I’ve picked or bought. Yum yum.

You can always leave them out, but if you dice them small and cook them down, they are pretty mild.

Debbie B.     at 2:53 pm

Looks great! I love quinoa salads and glad it turned out well!

Red Deception     at 2:53 pm

I have never had quinoa before, and I am excited to try it sometime soon. Thanks for the recipe!

Cindy Robinson     at 2:59 pm

Beautiful recipe! I can picture you unsuspectingly tasting your dinner, then dropping your fork, and taking pics :) Thanks for the recipe. I might have to give this one a whirl for a family dinner night. Much success on getting my husband to eat your fabuluous Unfried Green Tomatoes, let’s hope this one goes over just as well. Lime, black beans, avocado, tomato….so dreamy ;)

Trisha     at 2:59 pm

Oh.My.Goodness. That combo sounds amazing! I love every part of it, so it must be great together!

Lauren     at 3:06 pm

Looks delicious and perfect for summer! I’ve been looking for a dish to introduce quinoa to some of my family, and this looks like just the thing! So glad you’re back to cooking and having fun in the kitchen.

Me too! :)

Tams     at 3:10 pm

Sounds soooo yummy! Want to make this next week for dinner. As a rule I’m not a coconut girl (childhood frosting trauma) would blood orange oil be a good substitute?

That sounds delicious!!

Melissa     at 3:16 pm

Thank you for the recipe, I love cold quinoa dishes in the summer and they keep really well in the fridge for left overs. :)

I have a question though… what is coconut oil, divided mean?

It just means that you use the 2 tbsp of oil in two different spots in the recipe. 1 tbsp cooking in the quinoa, and the other to saute the onions and mushrooms.

Melissa Reply:

Oh Thank you! I was trying to picture myself dividing the coconut oil. :) Thanks!

Kelly     at 3:16 pm

I make a very similar dish, and I call it “MexiQuinoa” :-)

Question for you: Do you have an easy way to rinse the quinoa where it doesn’t cling and stick to the container… Maybe I’m missing something, but the rinsing of the quinoa is consistently the messiest part of making it (for me)….

Thanks!

I rinse it in a mesh sieve and then just dump it straight into the pot!

Becky Reply:

Kelly, I’m making your MexiQuinoa recipe tonight! And Emily, your recipe will be added to my list of things to try as well. YUM!

Annette (with a side of brownies)     at 3:21 pm

That looks good, I’ve been trying to find recipes for quinoa that I think my husband will eat and this looks like a winner (avocado on my share only, it’s rough living with picky eaters).Thanks for sharing.

The avocado is the BEST part! :)

Annette (with a side of brownies)     at 3:24 pm

Also, assuming you had leftovers for lunch is it good cold, because I was thinking it might be nice to take to a potluck this summer. Thanks.

We ate all of ours, but I imagine it would be delicious cold!

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan     at 3:26 pm

You combined all of my favorite ingredients. This is going to be a must-make recipe for sure!

Kate @ NaturaStride     at 3:26 pm

Yum!! I’ve been looking for some Quinoa recipes lately since I’ve been reading it is high in protein, for when I don’t feel like cooking meat. The avocado looks amazing, too. Avocados seem to end up in all my meals these days… :)
Have a great wknd!

Mine too – can’t get enough!

Chelsea @ Go Chelsea Go!     at 3:31 pm

You combined two of my favorite things–quinoa and mexican food!! Looking forward to making this one soon :)

Nichole (Flirting with Food, Fitness and Fashion)     at 3:51 pm

This is a great recipe and easy! I have everything to make it tonight :)

kelly     at 3:55 pm

I make this exact recipe but I also add corn. Delicious!

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me     at 4:01 pm

This looks great. What about leftovers? Are you nervous about the avocado browning?

Well we didn’t have any leftovers. :) But I think the acid from the tomatoes and lime juice would help keep the avocado green for at least a little bit!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet     at 4:13 pm

I love the addition of coconut oil and mushrooms! I’m sure this is so packed with flavor, and obviously has plenty of satisfying nutrients :)

Stefanie     at 4:13 pm

This is going in my to make pile. I just need to do some grocery shopping. :-)

Jenn from Much to My Delight     at 4:14 pm

I’ve been making something extremely similar for the last few weeks (once it got hot!) only I add mango and cilantro. So good! Great recipe, Emily.

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama     at 4:18 pm

I love quinoa bowls! Love the lime here-definitely perfect for summer. Isnt it great when a casual dinner turns into a favorite recipe?!

Amy     at 4:22 pm

Ooh, this looks awesome! I have a potluck coming up for my daughter’s preschool & I was instructed to bring a main dish – I think this will work! Can it be served warm or cold? Is that a silly question? Thanks, Emily! :)

Not a silly question, and I think it would be good either way! If you’re making it a day ahead, you might want to wait to add the avocado so it doesn’t brown overnight.

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]     at 4:29 pm

YUM!

I make a quick, “college” spin of this regularly: quinoa, black beans + cumin, avo, pico de gallo, and either a dollop of Greek yogurt or chevre — so easy and delish!

Fun bowl :)

Shannon     at 4:29 pm

Looks so good! I just love quinoa.

kris (everyday oats)     at 4:49 pm

yumm! so glad you shared :)

Katy @ MonsterProof     at 4:54 pm

Oh, wow. I might have to run to the store so that this can be dinner!

Mo     at 5:02 pm

This looks so light and refreshing for a summer lunch or dinner. I love that you didn’t use cumin. I can’t tolerate it, and most anything “Mexican” has cumin in it.

Natalie Rae     at 5:04 pm

Love this- adding it in for next week- Husband loves quinoa since I introduced it in through one of your recipes last year :)

Jules     at 5:19 pm

This recipe has inspired me to cook quinoa for the first time! I’ve eaten it from the Whole Foods salad bar and liked it, but never prepared it myself. Thanks for the yummy recipe!

Gina     at 5:22 pm

Yum! This would make a fantastic portable lunch for next week!

Amelia     at 6:34 pm

I wish I was eating this right now. I’m waiting for my husband to get home from work and this is not helping my hunger. ;) Great pictures for being spontaneous!

Namaste Gurl     at 7:03 pm

I love quinoa and I especially love it with my favorite accruements which you so nicely paired it with! I bet adding some nutritional yeast atop or to the mix wouldn’t be a shabby idea… :)

Enjoy your weekend!

Jennifer (The Gourmetour)     at 7:48 pm

Oh my gosh this is so up my alley!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 8:10 pm

That is one of my favorite ways to eat quinoa! The melty avocado in it is delicious!

sarah (sarah learns)     at 8:24 pm

mmmm, i love it when random thrown together dinners turn out to be something special! :) this one looks great.

Babs     at 8:55 pm

I just started making quinoa . . . I used to mess it up, but now into the rice cooker it goes. Much easier that way.

Christine     at 9:31 pm

This looks really good- I’m definitely bookmarking it.

Emily     at 9:42 pm

Looks so delicious Emily! Excited to see that your appetite is back and glad to hear you’re able to be back in the gym :) Go you!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 11:19 pm

Beatuuuutiful. I love all things mexican these days — and I have three ripe avocadoes! THREE! I can’t wait to use them for this:)

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 11:50 pm

looks delish!

Lindsey     at 8:44 am

This is one of those posts where I read it and then immediately plan a trip to the grocery. Cannot wait to try this recipe. Only wish I had been there to partake of that 4th portion :)

Lee     at 9:35 am

This looks like a perfect summer salad. Bookmarked!

Jules     at 6:03 pm

Glad I checked your site just before my husband headed out to the store! We were going to have cobb salad for dinner tonight, but changed our mind and are having this instead! Thanks!

Jules Reply:

Yep, it was AMAZING! And we have enough left over for dinner at work one night this week! Glad I saved half without the avocado so it won’t brown!

meredith     at 9:52 pm

i made this tonight, minus the mushrooms plus garlic. very good!

Lyn     at 10:18 pm

This is so up my alley. I’m a big Quinoa fan and I’m always trying new things. The coconut oil is new to me so I’m looking forward to trying this recipe (without tomatoes, Lyn no likey) Awesome! Thanks for sharing!!! :-D

Sara @ BakingandWine     at 12:53 am

Yum! I made a similar dish with Quinoa, beans and avocado a while back. I love the addition of the cooked veggies too though! Sounds delicious! I might have to bust out the rest of my quinoa sometime this week. :D

amanda     at 9:36 am

I love that you are cooking again, I always need healthy ideas for dinner. My fiance will love this. Glad to hear you are feeling better and liking Seattle!

Carre     at 11:32 am

That is crazy that you posted this because last night my sister-in-law made something very similar and it was delicious! It was my first time having quinoa. She mixed the quinoa with a mixture of halved cherry tomatoes, red onion, yellow bell pepper, cucumber, feta cheese, cilantro, lime juice, and a little olive oil. She didn’t cook the vegetables though so it was room temp. I tried the leftovers today and they are just as good cold. I’ll have to give your recipe a try since I love black beans and avocado :)

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 6:28 pm

Oh man that looks good! :P

Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal     at 8:47 pm

This may just be the first thing I make from a food blog ever! Soooo yummy :) Thanks for posting!

Yay! Hope you like it!

Charlie     at 6:29 am

Wow this looks delicious. I have never made quinoa at home but I am definitely going to try. Looking forward to the Broccoli pasta- sounds perfect for a supper or lunch to take to work! I have started a new job where I am working in the food team at a magazine and am in the kitchen and testing food sent in most days and I am already noticing my weight increasing. Heading back to the gym and going to be trying lots of your healthy recipes to try and get it back under control! Loving the look of the veggie restaurant you went to the other day- food looks insanely good!

Sounds like an awesome job! Good luck! :)

martha     at 11:02 am

making it tomorrow! looks delish!

Nichole (Flirting with Food, Fitness and Fashion)     at 12:59 pm

I ended up making this Sunday night! Loved it! Eating leftovers for lunch – my avacado wasn’t overly ripe so it didn’t brown much at all :) Thanks for the recipe!

So glad you liked it!

John Valenty     at 2:12 pm

I’m definitely going to have to attempt this one. Has some of my favorite things in it…

Jesse     at 3:04 pm

this looks sooo good! i love quinoa and i’m excited that when i saw this post i added this recipe to my meal plan for this week and i’ll be making it tonight! thanks for sharing :)

Kathi     at 5:26 pm

Made this today for a late lunch, spectacular flavors!! Yum!

Ant     at 8:20 pm

I made this for dinner tonight. We all loved it. Thank you!

Stephanie     at 7:04 pm

I made this last night and it was delicious! I added some grilled shrimp to it that I seasoned with chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.

Dawn     at 7:26 pm

I made this tonight and it was great! I added some chopped cilantro to it at the end! Thanks so much for the great recipe. The only downside? My sour cream froze in my fridge and there weren’t any leftovers!

So glad it was a success!

Christine     at 8:52 pm

I tried this tonight and think i did something wrong! it seemed very flavorless. i think this may be due to my coconut oil – it was the very bottom of the jar and there wasn’t much solid left – it was mainly liquid. I don’t have much experience cooking with coconut oil other than using it for cookies. Would the coconut oil usually add a lot of flavor?

Leah     at 8:57 pm

Just saw this recipe and had to make it immediately as I had all the ingredients on hand which needed to be used up pronto. Thanks Emily for inspiring a very healthy, low-key dinner. : ) I added some cumin, chili powder and cilantro and didn’t have any coconut oil. Totally delicious and highly recommended for a filling meal! Leftovers will be enjoyed tomorrow in my lunch for sure.

Kelley     at 3:58 pm

Hello! I’m not sure how it happened but some how I stumbled upon your site. I hate to admit it but I don’t often take/have the time to read other peoples blogs but yours has caught my attention.

The protein and iron content in this quinoa recipe screamed try me and so I did. With that I am very happy to have taken the time. It’s lovely and full of all sorts of goodness! I will be sharing my review this week on my site with link back to you. I look forward to more of your wonderful dishes.

Yay Mavs! + More Veggies « Food, Fitness, Life & Love     at 7:36 pm

[...] that this meal is going to rock! Tuesday: I can hardly wait to make Emily @ Daily Garnish‘s Mexican Quinoa with Black Beans and Avocado.  This will be my first time cooking (and eating) quinoa, and I’m very excited.  Quinoa is [...]

Put it on ice + Meat-free « Food, Fitness, Life & Love     at 11:22 pm

[...] we made Emily’s Mexican Quinoa with Black Beans and Avocado, and it was incredible- I can’t wait to have the leftovers for lunch tomorrow!  It was my [...]

Natalie Rae     at 9:03 pm

Made this tonight and served it with baked plantain slices- Husband loved it. Obmitted the mushrooms, but it was still a collection keeper :) Thanks!

Samantha     at 12:46 pm

I just made this! So good! Except I still don’t know how I feel about the mushrooms. When I first read it I thought that is seemed to not quite fit with the rest of it but I decided to use them anyways. And, they aren’t bad, I just don’t know how I feel about it!

But I have a question. How do you rinse your quinoa? I tried using our smalled strainer/sieve and the quinoa still fell through. Do you just have one that works? Or do you use another method?

Sarah G     at 5:37 pm

I wanted to make this yesterday, but several steps into the process I realized I was out of canned black beans. So I ended up with a cold quinoa salad with avocado and tomatoes, dressed with lemon juice, olive oil, and salt. YUM!! Will def’ly be doing that on a regular basis! Hoping to try this actual recipe this week sometime. Loving your recipes–Thanks so much for the healthy inspiration!

Leanna     at 2:40 am

mmm this looks delicious! I tend to leave mexican food with just rice and havn’t tried it with quinoa yet! Got to do this soon! I usually make a cold quinoa salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, cilantro, and olives with some oil and lime…this will be a nice change!

Киноа с Авокадо и Домати | | Tomatoes RockTomatoes Rock     at 12:45 pm

[...] if you want to read the English recipe please go to Daily Garnish. Emily is one of my most trusted sources online so do take a look around. Plus she has the cutest [...]

Erin Neary     at 8:22 am

This was great! I used coconut extract instead of coconut oil (just because I had it) and added a little cilantro. Will make this over and over again. My boyfriend and I are always looking for healthy recipes and this was right up our alley… healthy and delicious!

Cook: MM Mexican Quinoa with Black Beans & Avocado | VerumVita     at 9:08 am

[...] September 24, 2012 via dailygarnish.com [...]

Florentina     at 5:29 am

Very quickly this website will be famous among all blog viewers,
due to it’s fastidious articles or reviews