Summer Solstice at Gas Works Park.

While today is rather gloomy and grey here in Seattle, Tuesday was the official first day of summer and the sun was out in all its glory to help us celebrate.  Sarah and I planned accordingly and packed up a lunchtime picnic to take to one of my favorite local spots – Gas Works Park!

Situated at the top of Lake Union, I can’t imagine there is a better spot for views of the Seattle skyline than here…

I don’t know what the name Gas Works means, but I assume it has something to do with this old factory-like structure…

If you make the trek to the top of the giant hill, you are rewarded with both burning calves and quads, but the view at the top is so completely worth it.

It has been so much fun for me to have Sarah here this summer, and I am in total denial that she will be heading back to school at the end of July.

I know already that this is one of those special summers that we will both remember for a very long time to come.  I feel so lucky that we’ve been able to spend so much time together, especially since the rest of the year we are so far apart.

And she will always have an extra special bond with her nephew since she got to hang out with me for so much of my pregnancy!

First order of business once we laid down our picnic blanket was cracking open our ice cold beverages…

ROOT BEER!  One of my favorite pregnant summertime indulgences.

And my favorite sandwich in all of Seattle…

Coconut juice braised tofu with homemade aioli, sliced avocado, cilantro, carrot, and pickled daikon on a fresh baguette from Baguette Box!

With a little sun tan lotion on the side to keep us from getting crispy.

Baby’s eye view…

Mama’s view from the blanket…

Such a beautiful and wonderful day to be outside in Seattle, and I’m so glad we timed our picnic perfectly with the weather.

Hoping for more sunshine this weekend!

For some baby-related news, you can check out two new posts over on Babble today!

Enjoy!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet     at 5:50 pm

Wow that’s such a gorgeous first day of summer! I can’t wait to visit Seattle and see all of this beauty in person!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 5:50 pm

Wow. That view is absolutely breathtaking. I am so glad you are getting to spend so much time with your sister right now. I know I am definitely NOT taking for granted how close my sister is right now while she’s pregnant. I have loved watching her little one grow!

Cassy     at 5:53 pm

Hi GORGEOUS prego lady!
Long time follower, first time commenter.

Just wanted to suggest the ‘Ride the Duck’ in Seattle! It’s a little on the obnoxious side, but it HUGE on the Seattle history/info side!! It takes you all over!! Picks you up at the Space Needle and you go through almost every popular district and then on to the water! They explain the Gas Works and everything.. it’s very cool!! And PERFECT weather for it right now!

I’ve visited Seattle every year for almost 10 years from Southern California and it has been one of the best tours I’ve been on!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 5:54 pm

Gorgeous day for the park! I wish it would be sunny when I’m out in Seattle. I swear you’re making this weather up, it’s NEVER been sunny any time I’ve been there (which is many!)

Lisa     at 5:54 pm

I love Gasworks park. My best friend got married there and my brother got married on the Skavonia ferry docked nearby.

Gina (Yogattude) Reply:

I’m going to a wedding on that boat in July!

suki     at 5:54 pm

what a great/sunny day in Seattle! :) one of our foodie stops during our trip was in a neighborhood called South Lake Union, which i’m assuming you would have a perfect view of from this park.

Sara Winter     at 5:59 pm

Wasn’t it gorgeous on Tuesday? Not sure what happened. Oh well, that’s the northwest for ya! You are doing us Seattlites proud with all the beautiful photos.

Melissa @ HerGreenLife     at 6:06 pm

Looks like those hills will help keep you in great shape! I’ve stayed pretty active, but at 37 weeks now, things that should be easy are starting to get challenging, like taking a less than 1-mile walk with coworkers.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 6:11 pm

That view is definitely worth it. Seattle looks so gorgeous.

Nicole @ Of Cookies and Carrots     at 6:14 pm

When Seattle is pretty, it is GORGEOUS :) I definitely walked right by baguette box in fremont the other day but didn’t stop in! Posed with a cute puppy outside though and put it on my post about theo :)

lovely pictures, you look beautiful! :)
n

fittingbackin     at 6:21 pm

What amazing views! Love that you’re indulging in root beer – hehe. Great pics!

Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers     at 6:29 pm

While I’m a big fan of regular beer, there is still (to date) nothing that compares to a fresh rootbeer from a cold bottle. It’s just a dream come true.

Beautiful photos, craving the West coast atm!

Taysa     at 6:35 pm

My friends and I used to walk the Burke Gilman trail to Gas Works and have night picnics when we were in college. I’m not sure I’d exactly recommend either the trail or the park late at night to anyone now, but when we were young and didn’t care about creepers it was a lot of fun!

Gina (Yogattude)     at 6:40 pm

What a fun picnic! I always try to convince Mickey to go on picnics and he thinks I’m weird. Although I have gotten him out on one so far this year!

I have a Baguette Box withing walking distance from me (actually only a block from Homegrown) I love those two sandwich shops, yum!

Thalia Morin     at 6:45 pm

Emily,
:p
I think you will be very interested in reading: “Birth as an American Rite of Passage” by Robbie Davis-Floyd PhD. I met the author personally through an anthropologist I did research for and she is one of the most amazing human beings I have ever met. Her work is incredible. Let me know if you read the book and what you think. :)

Alaina     at 6:51 pm

Oh these pictures are making me want to go to Seattle more and more! Beautiful!

Jennifer (The Gourmetour)     at 6:54 pm

Wow beautiful! I’m jealous of your day!

Brenda     at 7:13 pm

I wish I had someone like Sarah to hang out with all the time!

Kristi     at 7:15 pm

It looks like you had a beautiful day. I miss days like that with my sister. Now she has a family of her own, and I have mine and it’s hard to get days to share together.

kris (everyday oats)     at 7:19 pm

The view is gorgeous!
And that sandwich looks so delicious! Kinda like a vegetarian bahn mi.

Kelsey @ My Search of Summer     at 7:30 pm

That view is amazing! I absolutely love skylines, especially when it’s so sunny out! Picnics in the part are one of my favorites as well, it’s so nice that you and your sis got to enjoy the beautiful day together!

Mary     at 7:40 pm

Hey, I was there on Tuesday too :) I actually walked/jogged around Lake Union which is surprisingly only about 6 miles.

It is called Gas Works because it used to be a factory that manufactured natural gas. Thankfully now it is just a wonderful park! You will have a great time during events like 4th of July and New Years eve being so close you won’t have to deal with parking.

Emma     at 7:57 pm

So beautiful! I live with my sister currently and I always think of how awesome it is that we are able to have this time together. She’ll be leaving next year to move in with her boyfriend so I’m trying to soak it all up!

Sara@BakingandWine     at 7:59 pm

Aww. That looks great! I have to say, all of your pictures of Seattle make it look a hell of a lot sunnier than most people think! I am secretly (or not so secretly) hoping that my husband’s next assignment is at Ft. Lewis!

And the Solstice was our 1 year wedding anniversary. It’s a great day! Ha.

Courtney     at 8:09 pm

I moved to Seattle on Monday and have to say that it’s so fun to follow your posts about the city. If you ever plan a blogger/blog reader meet-up, I’d love to be a part of it!

Nancy Reply:

A meet up would be so much fun!

Lauren     at 8:12 pm

What a beautiful and wonderful day!! I love the “baby’s view” pic. Too cute!

Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out     at 8:13 pm

That looks lovely. And yes, root beer is awesome…. Try a float!

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well.     at 8:19 pm

Looks like an incredible day! I’m looking forward to reading your post on why you chose a midwife. I’m considering it for whenever I get pregnant.

Enjoy your time with your sister!

Meg     at 8:34 pm

Gasworks is my happy place! My husband proposed rIght where you and Sarah are standing in those pictures. It’s the best place in Seattle!

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 9:07 pm

I get to see my sister tomorrow, and I can’t wait!! She is my clone, and I only get to see her a couple times a year, so every moment we spend together is so much fun (but always too short!).

RunEatRepeat     at 9:20 pm

You are the first and only person ever that has me the tiniest bit positive about getting pregnant. Ben thanks you.

Lissy     at 9:26 pm

Looks like fun. Wish my sister could’ve been closer during my pregnancies. I definitely loved the choice of the midwives with my little girl (who turned 1 today!)

Just thought you’d think this database was interesting. http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/
I know you are concerned with wellness, and taking care of your body. Especially with babies and all of their products, I’ve really tried to stay away from the ones with the high ratings.

Lisa @ Fit in the Midwest     at 9:54 pm

What a beautiful park to hang out in with your sister. Love the views!

You’re making me crave root beer now! Your sandwich looked delicious too.

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 10:20 pm

I have to confess that I am loving the Seattle pictures and posts, since I am moving there at the end of August! :-)

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 11:17 pm

What a great day! Those are awesome pics (loving the baby view)! Such a beautiful city! :)

Hayley @ Oat Couture     at 11:37 pm

Ahh that picnic looks perfect! :) You live in such a cool place Emily! Love reading all about your adventures in Seattle!

Melanie @ Trial By Trail     at 12:25 am

I was just there last Saturday! It’s so pretty there if the weather is nice. :) You got some gorgeous weather and such pretty shots!

Jessica S     at 12:46 am

I love that sandwich, but you really should try the tofu sandwich from Paseo if you haven’t already :)

Brooke @ Bittersweetb     at 12:47 am

Wow what a view! I totally want to visit Seattle to see it for myself!

Amanda @ the beauty notebooks     at 12:50 am

I love this post! baby’s eye view and mama’s eye view : ) so sweet. your picnic has inspired me to do the same! I’d love to visit Seattle some day.

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]     at 1:25 am

coconut juice braised tofu? the culinary world is infinitely genius!

Elee     at 1:32 am

Fun fact of the Day:
The paint-balling scenes from “Ten Things I Hate About You” was filmed at Gas Works around that funky factory-like structure!!

Maureen     at 2:25 am

If you are looking for spectacular views of Seattle, you need to go to Kerry Park. It’s in Queen Anne and has the most sought-after photo opportunity in Seattle. :) really.

Jeanelle @ Glocal Girl     at 6:45 am

What a perfect day! It’s all showers here in Amsterdam… I’m crossing my fingers for some real summer weather this weekend! X

Charlie (The Runner Beans)     at 8:25 am

Loving Sarah’s playsuit, she looks fab! View is amazing, incredibly jealous. Rain again here in London. Making Christmas cakes today (for work!) not putting me in a summery mood. x

katie @ KatieDid     at 8:52 am

Your making me want to move to Seattle! It is so so gorgeous there, and it doesn’t seem to be raining all day every day like popular belief.
It’s so nice to treasure family time because it gets to be so very rare the older you get (in my case at least). You girls are very lucky to be spending so much time together!

lauren     at 9:01 am

listen, i’m going to freak out if i don’t get a dog update soon. how are the big guys adjusting? xo

Haha I am so sorry! The dogs are adjusting very well. Indy is sleeping next to me as we speak. I will take a few pics of them soon so that you can see them. :) There is a pic of them in my bathtub on the DG Facebook page!

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family     at 9:35 am

Just think next year at this time how beautiful that site will be with Baby Garnish next to you enjoying the beautiful weather :)

Katy Widrick     at 10:10 am

When we were in Seattle last year, we rode bikes up to Gas Works and spent a glorious hour or so looking over the city…it felt sort of spiritual, you know? It helped that we then biked to Lunchbox Laboratory for the best veggie burgers EVAH.

Madison @ Espresso and Cream     at 10:16 am

Looks almost too beautiful to be real. We have close family friends who live in Seattle on Queen Anne’s Hill (not sure if that’s anywhere near where you guys live) and I always leave wondering why we don’t live in Seattle.

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 12:05 pm

how fun!

Kate @ NaturaStride     at 12:42 pm

So pretty! Glad you’re enjoying Seattle. Those views look beautiful.
I love picnics – looking forward to one with my husband tomorrow :) Have a fun weekend!

Lindsay     at 1:16 pm

Such great pictures, Emily!

Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com)     at 1:33 pm

Those views are GORGEOUS! And your sandwich looks and sounds so YUMMY!

Lovin’ the baby bump pics!

Suzanne @ continuing my education     at 4:10 pm

That sandwich looks amazing! Ha, I went to the sandwich website and got really excited when it said there was a location on Capitol Hill…sadly not the same Capitol Hill :(

Everything in Seattle looks beautiful and the food looks fantastic! On my short list of places to visit for sure. Happy Friday!

Anne P     at 11:16 am

Wow. Seattle in summer is the best :) I wish I were there!

nvzzwtf     at 2:17 am