Week 22: My Pregnancy Journey.

It has been a big week here with a lot of fun new developments!  First things first, Baby G officially has his first cousin – hurrah!  Baby Jonah was finally born this morning after a very long pregnancy, and painfully long labor for his mama.  I will share more details and pictures as I get them, but for now we are all just celebrating the newest arrival in our family.

As for our own little baby, you are not going to believe how big he is this week.  Are you ready for this?

How Big is the Baby?

He is the length and weight of a SPAGHETTI SQUASH!  Holy cow.

Does anyone else think that just seems totally gigantic?  I do realize that he will continue to get bigger and bigger, but I still find each week’s growth to be totally baffling for some reason.

How I’m Changing

I’m excited to report that the major piece of news from this week is that I am finally feeling all sorts of thumping and KICKING!  I have thought that I was possibly feeling little bubbles and flutters here and there, but this is something entirely different.  These are big kicks that you can even see from the outside if you are watching closely enough.

Casey has even been able to feel a few himself, which has been really special and fun for both of us.  The kicks make me feel so much more connected to the baby, and I love knowing that he is having fun and playing around in there.

How I’m Feeling

Still feeling great, and for the most part I still have a lot of energy.  Although I have noticed a few times this week I’ll get a sudden afternoon crash that I wasn’t really experiencing before.  While I did discover last weekend that pregnant running is out of the question for me, I have been consistently doing weight lifting three times a week, and making sure to get in plenty of daily walking.  It feels good to stay active and move a little each day.

My total weight gain to date is 8 pounds, which actually sounds a little low for how far along I am at this point.  But I also have to consider that I lost 5 pounds in the first trimester due to sickness, so I have actually gained back 13 to net the 8 pound total gain.  I have a feeling that the majority of pregnancy weight gain starts now, and that this number will start to climb more quickly now that Baby G is rapidly expanding!

My favorite purchase of this week is a onesie that I happened to spot in a maternity shop.  I was going to buy it and surprise Casey with it, but he ended up seeing it himself before I could hide it from him.

Typically I’m not a fan of any of the slogan shirts that say things like Daddy’s Little All-Star or other such gender-specific items, but this one was too perfect to pass up.  People ask me all the time what Casey does for a living, and no one ever quite understands it (including me at times).  But the short answer is that he is an actuary, and does lots of high level math all day long.  He is insanely smart and passionate about math, so when I saw the onesie with a giant math equation that spelled “I love dad” down the diagonal, I had to get it.

It is also organic and ridiculously soft.  I’m considering looking up the brand and seeing if I can order a few more plain ones of the same fabric.  So cute!

Other than the nursery dresser I picked up this weekend at the farmer’s market, we haven’t bought too much else quite yet.  I am working on getting my registry together, which is an entire process (and post) in itself.

For more on what I’m eating and craving this week, check out the latest at Babble!  And for other pregnancy posts, you can always visit the pregnancy page.

Monika @ Powered by Paprika     at 7:28 pm

Where’d you get that onesie??!! so cute!

Monika @ Powered by Paprika Reply:

p.s. you look SO healthy

I got it at a little store here in Seattle, but here’s a link to it:

Sarah     at 7:31 pm

OMG your belly is SOOOOO cute!!!! Congrats on being an auntie!

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 7:43 pm

I’m still a couple years away from being pregnant, but I absolutely look forward to these posts each week!!

I hope I can be as cute as you are when I’m pregnant!

Chloe (South Beach Girl)     at 7:43 pm

Super cute onesie! I love things like that :)
Your belly looks great – it’s funny because when you post pictures with your belly covered all of a sudden when I see it uncovered it looks a lot bigger for some reason. Maybe my mind is being tricked by your awesome maternity wear :)

Haha I think that is the point of the maternity clothes!

Anne @ The Denim Pixie     at 7:48 pm

Congrats on being an auntie!! So glad to know that your sister’s baby is here safe and sound. You look adorable! Your belly just keeps getting cuter and cuter.
That onesie is priceless! Can’t wait to see baby G in it! My hubby works in IT, and when my oldest was a baby I bought him a onesie that said “I TCP/IP. But mostly IP.” Hilarious!

That is hilarious and awesome.

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 7:51 pm

I love that color shirt! Must keep those bunch-y shirts in mind… they really do look so cute!

Kath     at 8:07 pm

Awww I miss you. I hate that I can’t just drive up and see you!!

You look FABULOUS!

I miss you tooooo! Drive up after Foodbuzz! :)

Marissa     at 8:09 pm

I MUST find that onesie! My husband is a math geek too! Love it!

Found a link for you!

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 8:16 pm

You look fantastic! :-)

Melanie     at 8:18 pm

You are just SO darn cute! I don’t even know you (well, except through your blog) and your pregnancy photos just make me go, “aww!” You look so healthy and beautiful – great plug for eating healthy and exercising. Oh, and that onesie is just too cute. Great find!

Thanks Melanie!

Shari     at 8:21 pm

Your pregnancy posts are always among my favorites to read in the blog world. They just put an instant smile on my face. Big congratulations on feeling the little one’s kicks, and also on the arrival of your nephew! :)

Thank you so much!

Sylvia     at 8:23 pm

Congratulations Aunt Emily! :D I hope momma is doing well. Can’t wait to read about and see Baby G’s new cuz. You look wonderful by the way!

Alaina     at 8:30 pm

You are just too cute. :-)

Glad to hear that your nephew is here, safe and sound! Hope all is well with your sister!

Kristen @ The Concrete Runner     at 8:54 pm

Woohoo for baby kicks! It is the BEST feeling in the world – well, for now at least! I always wonder what the heck my baby is doing in there! Don’t worry, I’ve been worried about my weight too. I didn’t lose any in the beginning of my pregnancy, but I’ve only gained 13 pounds total and I’m 23 weeks pregnant. I’ve heard that all the weight will come and not to worry! You look GREAT as always!

That makes me feel better! I have a feeling its going to start coming on quickly now.

Casie     at 8:55 pm

I’ve never seen a spaghetti squash before (not available where I live). Kinda seems crazy that the baby is that big in there!

Oh man you have to get some spaghetti squash! Such a wonderful vegetable!

Melissa @ Running with Needles     at 8:58 pm

That onesie is adorable! My brother had his degree in actuarial science (though he’s yet to find a job as an actuary) and he had to explain to our family what it was!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 9:08 pm

A spaghetti squash does look huge!! You continue to look great though! Live that onesie. Soo adorable!

Casey W     at 9:09 pm

I love that onesie! I often call my husband a math “geek” and he has a math oriented career as well. I would love to hear where you got it so I can get one for our baby (due just 3 days after yours!)

I got it at a boutique in Seattle, but I found a link for you online!

sallymae     at 9:14 pm

I think you are super wise for not running – a year from now you will be in full force with a jogging stroller! It is so hard not to compare yourself to others, but listening to your own body is the best and most important, but for some reason so hard to do sometimes. Your bump is adorable and helping get me through a few tough days here where all I want to eat is M&M’s and cry. Hormones…sigh.

Pass the M&M’s please. It happens. :) I’m excited for lots of stroller jogging down the road!

Teri [a foodie stays fit]     at 9:14 pm

a spaghetti squash?? seriously!? that’s enormous!

you look so beautiful Emily!

Thanks Teri!!

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan     at 9:20 pm

When I saw that spaghetti squash, I thought there was no way baby G could already be that big! Wow, how time flies!
I love the onesie. :-)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 9:23 pm

Feeling the baby kick was my absolute favorite part of my first pregnancy! Just wait until you have a full-sized infant in there and your entire stomach moves around. It’s so fun! I’m currently 13 weeks pregnant with my second and so excited to get to that point again. :-)

Oh how exciting! CONGRATS to you guys!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing     at 9:37 pm

Ahh he is so big! precious!

Jill     at 9:49 pm

As soon as I saw that onesie I thought, ooooh, my husband would love that.. guess why.. he’s an actuary too! Haha.. math nerds unite!

Love it!

Natale @FactualFoodie     at 9:55 pm

Oh my gosh! I just got so super excited, my boyfriend can’t even understand. I am studying to be an actuary and I never knew what Casey did and reading it made me jump off the couch!! No one everrrr understands what I want to dooo!

Haha yeah its such a tough job to describe!

Lisa     at 10:24 pm

So excited for your family!! You look amazing, as usual :-) I love feeling the baby kick, even though now sometimes her kicks really hurt! The first time my husband was able to feel her too was incredible, I’m not sure it’s a feeling either of us will ever get over–I’m fairly certain I will miss it after she’s born. Though then we’ll have our baby girl with us, so it’s a pretty good tradeoff ;-)

Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out     at 10:27 pm

Congratulations on being a new aunt!!

And I love your preggo updates!

Katie     at 10:34 pm

Wow, I can’t believe the baby is that big! You look beautiful. Congrats on your new nephew!

Abby     at 10:53 pm

That’s nuts about the squash size! How cool! :) you look so great! Congrats on being an aunt! I have a cousin named Jonah! Love that name!

Kamaile     at 10:58 pm

Congratulations & welcome to the Auntie club…it is awesome! You are looking marvelous!!

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs     at 11:14 pm

Yay! Prego posts are my favorite :) Such a cute pregnant belly <3

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs     at 11:15 pm

AH and CONGRATULATIONS on finally being an Aunt to baby Jonah! I could tell on twitter it was getting harder and harder to not know what was going on, that would drive me nuts!

MegaNerd     at 11:22 pm

You are absolutely glowing, Emily!

That is the most epic onesie I’ve ever seen… not that I’ve seen many… but you know. I <3 Math, too! Is it weird that I really want to know what type of math Casey does? I thought about majoring in actuarial sciences but changed to engineering…

Glad your nephew came into the world! So exciting!!!

Is it bad that I have no IDEA what kind of math he does? :) Something that involves lots of risk analysis…

Lindsay Loves Veggies     at 1:03 am

Oh my gosh! He’s getting frickin huge!! Congrats on becoming an aunty! It’ll be so awesome when the boys are old enough to play together!

BB     at 7:50 am

You look great! Re: the kicking get ready to be turned into a bounce house. Have you noticed if certain foods make him more active?

I remember OJ always made my little guy kick like crazy and so every time my mom saw me she tried to get me to drink like a gallon of OJ so she’d get to feel the baby kick. What a riot.

I can tell he’s more active after dinner and after ice cream. :)

Lee     at 8:08 am

Congrats Aunt Emily!

Ashley     at 8:10 am

The baby is getting so big, how exciting!

Jen     at 8:10 am

You look so great! I love that you can feel baby kick!

Where are you getting these fun, bright-colored, cute maternity shirts?

Those are from Target and I LOVE them! Definitely my favorites – Liz Lange. Go get some!

Katie KS     at 8:28 am

Glad you’re being kicked! Told ya it would be all of a sudden, um wow, KICKING! And yeah, the weight seems to go up faster at the end … I lost 7 lbs w/ Eva and ended up gaining all that back plus 30 by the end. (But lost it all in about 6 mos!) This one I didn’t lose any and am up 13 as of 28 weeks so doing fine – a lb a week from here on out would put me at 25. I’m guessing I’ll add a few more to that.

Congrats on the nephew! The name Jonah was on my list, but I don’t think we’re using it. … After your tweets I had an idea for you for babble … communication styles at the hospital. You know some people pretty much livestream their birth and have everyone and their in-laws in the delivery room, while others sneak off to the hospital and call once the baby arrives. Just thought it might be interesting to ask people what they did/plan to do during labor and post-birth as far as updates! (Though sometimes the plan and actuality differ!)

Funny – I have a very similar topic on my wipe-board of ideas! Tweeting, texting, Skyping through birth… I’ll definitely write about it – probably next week!

Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East     at 8:35 am

Congrats on your new nephew! So exciting that your baby will have a cousin so close in age.

Loving the onsie! Adorable!

RhodeyGirl     at 8:37 am

Love this! I’m so excited that you are feeling kicks now! I am constantly shocked by the size jumps each week, but then I remember that even though my baby is so long he is still so skinny. I want him to fatten up!

Kim @ girlevolving     at 8:38 am

We found a spaghetti squash at 22 weeks, too. We were AMAZED how big it was! I’m at 30 weeks this week and it said the weight of a cabbage… which somehow doesn’t seem much bigger or heavier than a spaghetti squash?!?!?

Yeah sometimes I think the sizes even appear to be going backwards! I guess there are only so many veggies to compare to. :)

brandi     at 9:10 am

Congrats to your sister and family!!! I’m so happy that he made his debut :) and Jonah must be popular now – friends of ours had their little boy 2 months ago, and his name is Jonah, too!

I love that little onesie – too cute :)

jen @ taste life     at 9:20 am

Emily, I know I don’t know you in real life, but I swear, seeing these pictures this week just makes me want to cry! It’s so beautiful, you’re so beautiful, and you’re just glowing! This is so exciting!

Thanks Jen! :)

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 9:44 am

I am loving that onesie!

Danielle     at 9:50 am

I absolutely love these posts and look forward to your updates each week. You have such a cute baby bump, too!

I’m 13 weeks pregnant and can totally relate to the sidelining “morning sickness” (oh if it were *just* in the morning!) since week 6. My doctor said it would get better between weeks 10-12 (clearly not) and everyone else said that it should start to ease up between 14-16 so I may have to prepare myself to go that extra week like you did. I’m glad to hear that you have gotten some of your energy back, though! There is hope :)

It DOES get better, but it definitely took me a bit longer than expected. Hang in there!

Leah     at 10:08 am

What did you make out of that squash? :)

Haha nothing yet! Still sitting on my counter.

Erin @ Naturally Addicted     at 10:42 am

I love how you compare the baby to various foods… it’s crazy how big they get! I’m so happy your pregnancy is going well and keep us updated! Congrats on the new nephew!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday     at 11:03 am

Holla to the actuary!

I graduated with a degree in Math, passed a few of my actuarial exams, and I worked as an actuary in Toronto for a couple years.

So I know all about that business.

So funny! Who knew there were so many actuaries out there? :)

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.)     at 11:09 am

You look so fantastic Emily!

I can’t believe how big the baby is already! Insane (in a great-awesome-insane kinda way ;) )!

I love the little shirt you got for the baby, I agree with you that the “mama’s boy” type t-shirts can be lame :|

Maryann     at 11:13 am

So happy for your sister and you look great. Love the shirt.

Carol @ Lucky Zucca     at 11:14 am

Congratulations on your new family member!!!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet     at 11:23 am

Wow a spaghetti squash does seem big! I love that little onesie :) I’m sure Casey will be a proud dad to see Baby G in that!

Heather     at 11:43 am

the onesie is SO CUTE. I am a sucker for cute onesies. I can’t believe the baby is that big. Like you, I am amazed at the growth each week! Glad you can finally feel the kicking!

Jen R. (emeraldsunshine.org)     at 11:48 am

I also don’t usually like things written, stamped, or branded on my clothes or the kids’ clothes, but I like that onesie! It’s humorous.

I can’t believe how gorgeous you are while pregnant… I wish I had a little bit of THOSE genes! :) I’m glad you are able to keep working out and that you are feeling much better now.

Amber K     at 11:49 am

That is such an adorable onesie and such a sweet thing for your hubby. I’ve never been a big fan of the gender specific clothes or bibs either, but that is so cute!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 12:46 pm

My husband is also a math nut and no one has any idea what he does. He starts talking to me about work sometimes and I am trying so hard to “get it” but it’s just never going to happen. :) So awesome that baby is making his presence known now!

Karolina     at 1:01 pm

It always amazing to me how something so big can fit inside…crazy! Congrats on your sister on her new baby:)

Gina (Yogattude)     at 1:02 pm

Congrats to your sis! That onsie is so fun!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 1:17 pm

I’m so glad that your feeling movement! Kicks and wiggles are my favorite part of pregnancy, hands down. Especially as they keep getting stronger.

And I am baffled every week, too, but how big the baby is. At 28 weeks, Baby D weighs 2.5 lbs which sounds just huge to me!

Looking good! :)

Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted     at 1:42 pm

Spaghetti squash seems so much bigger than a carrot!! I’d be surprised too! Even though I know it was just the length of a carrot!

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 1:43 pm

congrats to your sister & family! so exciting!

Amy @ Elephant Eats     at 1:56 pm

So exciting about your nephew! He’ll make such a good playmate for Baby G :) And I LOVE the name Jonah. So cute.

Jess     at 2:28 pm

I was also sad to discover that I am not a pregnant runner. I was able to run for a while, but then my body told me no more.

You look great! I think at 22 weeks I had gained about 8 lbs.

Julie S.     at 2:43 pm

That onesie is PERFECT! Love it!

You are right to listen to your body & not push the running. You look fantastic & will continue do great w/ the walking & weights. So glad the nausea is behind you & you’re finally able to enjoy your pregnancy. I think that squash looks huge, too! :)

Maria     at 3:41 pm

You look great!!! I hope I look as cute as you when it comes time to having babies :-) I think to feel a baby kick (from the outside) is the most bizarre thing in the world. Like there’s a tiny little person with it’s own little personality inside you now! Wierd :-) I’m looking forward to being on the other end of it some day.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 6:04 pm

Woah! A spaghetti squash is too cute! I know I always say “well my sister…” but I feel like I should share because she’s about 5 weeks ahead of you. She was around the same weight gain around week 20-21, and now she’s up to 26 POUNDS gained!! Seriously, there was like a 10 pound jump almost immediately.

Natalia - a side of simple     at 8:03 pm

It’s been a while since I’ve been to your site and I’m having such a great time catching up :) You look fantastic and I’m so happy for you and Casey.

Lindsay     at 9:46 pm

I hope that when I have children, I can find a onesie like that, because I am studying to be an Actuary and I love math t-shirts! :D
P.S. Maybe you could ask your husband to blog about what he does, I know that I am an Actuary Student and I would love to know what he does everyday!

Meagan     at 9:18 pm

Thanks for this post :)

Ashley     at 11:02 am

LOVE the update!!! Glad you’re feeling great! I love all organic cotton clothes…SO soft. :)