Week 24: My Pregnancy Journey.

I have been excited about this week for a while!  Mostly because my favorite number is 24, and so I knew this week would feel extra special.  But also because I am now officially six months pregnant.  Does anyone else find that hard to believe?

How Big is the Baby?

We’re back to talking about length this week, and by week 24 Baby Garnish is as LONG as an ear of corn!

Here’s a little more about how he’s changing this week…

Your baby’s growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he’s almost a foot long, he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he’ll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop.  His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.  (source)

Even though I feel really big, I can’t imagine how something as long as an ear of corn is fitting in there!  He must be curled up in a ball.

How I’m Changing

I thought I’d mix it up this week and wear some of my workout clothes for my weekly photos.  Also, I’m heading to the gym soon and didn’t want to get dressed twice!  My stomach is B-I-G, and even though I find it sort of amazing each day, I definitely don’t mind it.  I have embraced the belly whole-heartedly.

I will admit though that it has been hard the past week or two to also feel like everything else is getting bigger.  I know that’s to be expected, but seeing my legs and arms expanding feels a little more challenging than simply watching my round belly grow.

As of this week, I’ve gained ten solid pounds, and I can definitely feel them.  I can’t believe I will more than double that by the time he’s ready to come out!  I’m still walking 3 miles every day and doing weights 2-3 times a week to stay strong and active.  Crossing my fingers that I can keep it up until the end, even if I have to walk very sloooooooowly.

How I’m Feeling

Feeling lots of KICKS!  Kicks are an everyday all-day occurrence now, and I love every single one of them.  It absolutely never gets old, and I catch myself staring down at my stomach all the time watching it jump around and bounce when he is super active.

The only thing better than feeling the kicking myself, is seeing Casey’s reaction every time he gets to feel it too.  Sometimes I feel guilty that I get to experience all the pregnancy fun first-hand, and he can’t totally know what that feels like.  Every time he puts his hands on my belly I smile.  :)

We are currently counting down the days until our babymoon to LAS VEGAS this weekend!  Casey and I have both been several times before, and even as non-drinkers and non-gamblers, we just love it there.  I am planning to do a lot of relaxing on a lounge chair, floating in the pool, reading baby books, eating at amazing restaurants, and more.

I’m a little scared of how HOT it is there right now, but I’m hoping to find a nice shady corner of the pool to relax in.  I did quite a bit of shopping for babymoon essentials this weekend, and am excited to have a few new things that fit well (including some bathing suits – eeeeek!).

We had our second visit with the midwives last Wednesday, and everything seems to be progressing normally.  I had my blood re-tested at my appointment and was also happy to hear that my thyroid levels are back down to normal now that I’m taking a low dose of medication.  Good news, indeed!

I have had a few days this week where I have felt excessively thirsty, and I am worried that this might be a warning sign of possible gestational diabetes.  I know that increased thirst is normal in pregnancy, but there have been a few days and nights where I’ve experienced thirst that almost seems unquenchable.  I have my diabetes test coming up in about three weeks, but if the strange thirst symptoms continue, I might consider calling and moving it up sooner.  I am very nervous about both the testing and the results!

Thoughts This Week

• Total weight gained: 10 pounds
  • New dresses for babymoon:  Four
  • Bathing suits purchased:  Two tankinis
  • Maternity sweatpants purchased: One, sent from heaven
  • Days until we leave for vacation:  Three too many
  • Current temperature in Las Vegas:  109 degrees
  • Panicked calls to midwife group:  One, my first and hopefully last!

As far as food goes, anything goes these days.  All aversions are finally gone!  I shared a few of my favorite vegetarian sources of protein and DHA (important for expecting moms!) over on Babble today

For more baby-related posts and previous weekly updates, make sure to check out the pregnancy page!

Blog is the New Black     at 6:17 pm

You are such a cute pregnant lady!!! :)

Melissa @ HerGreenLife     at 6:19 pm

I was right around 24 weeks when we went to Europe this spring, and most of my in-flight entertainment involved watching and feeling baby moving in my belly — nothing like it! However, he or she always seems to stop moving as soon as I have my husband put his hand on my belly, which is a bit frustrating, as I so much want to share it with him.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 6:22 pm

Oh my gosh GIIIIIRL you are glowing!!! I can’t believe the baby is so big so soon. One day the little corn cob will look back on these posts and thank the sweet God in heaven that he or she was blessed with such a caring, wonderful mother <3

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 6:23 pm

I didn’t gamble a single dollar in Vegas and still loved it. Have a great babymoon!

Ashley     at 6:23 pm

So excited you two are getting some time away. Definitely be careful in that heat! Love the update photos. Lookin good lady!! <3

Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife     at 6:31 pm

You look so wonderful! I can’t imagine how much fun it is to feel the baby kicking and have your husband be able to feel it too! Such an amazing experience I’m sure.

Kelley     at 6:35 pm

We don’t really drink or gamble either, but we LOVE vegas. So much to do and see. If you have time, splurge on seeing “KA”. It’s incredible.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 6:36 pm

He’s getting big! So glad you are taking a well deserved trip before Baby G comes along! I hope it’s fabulous!

Eva     at 6:40 pm

You should try Sage at Aria while in Vegas — they have great vegetarian and seasonal options! Have a great trip!

Also no trip is complete without a TKO from the Bouchon bakery (at the Venetian)

My favorite breakfast is at Tableau at the Wynn and also every restaurant at Wynn has vegan options because Steve Wynn is vegan

I will check those out! Thanks! :)

Sana     at 6:40 pm

You are just GLOWING!!!!!

Katherine     at 6:40 pm

Don’t stress too much about gestational diabetes. I am 37 weeks in 2 days and have been excessively thirsty through my whole pregnancy. My glucose test cam back perfectly normal. You look great!

Jennifer (The Gourmetour)     at 6:43 pm

Remember how I told you I was going to Las Vegas!? It’s this weekend too!!!! What hotel are you staying at (actually you’d probably be better off emailing me that!)? I’d love to stop by and say hi!!!

Wendy     at 6:45 pm

You look fantastic. Just got back from 5 days in Vegas with my 2 kids and husband. As non-drinkers and non-gamblers, we still LOVE Vegas! Saw “O” at the Bellagio…most incredible show…if you enjoy synchronized swimming, diving, acrobatics, and an all-around jaw-dropping show, it’s DEFINITELY worth the splurge. (Confession…have actually seen it twice, but had to take the kids to see it this time since they heard us raving about it for the last 3 years!) Enjoy your babymoon!

I have seen O and loved it! :)

Rachelle     at 6:46 pm

I also had *extreme* thirst, I had never ever felt that way except during pregnancy. Don’t stress your glucose test, you will be fine! The thirst may be helping to ensure you get enough water. I started getting excessive braxton hicks (practice contractions) at 28 weeks (like 10 an hour) due to low water levels & irritable uterus. Listen to your body and drink a lot! :-)

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 6:48 pm

You’re rocking that 6 month belly, Emily!
I’ve just noticed my thighs expanding, too. I don’t like it, but since I’m living in yoga pants and dresses, I don’t notice it too often :)

Nadine     at 6:51 pm

You look great Emily!

Stephanie     at 6:56 pm

You look great!!!

Marci     at 6:56 pm

Have a great time in Vegas! Do some good shopping and walking indoors at the malls! I’m not a drinker but do like one casino game. The rest of the time is for shopping and the pool. Some of my family is at Encore this weekend, and my grandfather is getting ready for the World Series of Poker!

Ashley     at 7:03 pm

You are looking so great! I’m going to Las Vegas this weekend as well. Honestly if I bumped into you I would feel like I was seeing a celebrity – haha. Have a great vacation!

Haha hopefully we run into each other!

Minnie     at 7:09 pm

You look beautiful! I think the protein article totally belongs on here – it’s totally health related!

Lisa     at 7:10 pm

I hope you have a wonderful break away!!!

Shari     at 7:13 pm

Feeling the little one kick must be the most mesmerizing, awe-inspiring feeling. It sounds magical :)

kelli     at 7:14 pm

all the restaurants at the wynn have vegan options because steve wynn is vegan :) You look fabulous!! I love vegas too even though I don’t drink!

Great tip – thanks!

Melissa     at 7:15 pm

You look amazing! and so happy too! you are an inspiration!

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 7:16 pm

I’ve often wondered if I would enjoy Vegas since I don’t drink very much and don’t like to gamble.

Wendy Reply:

I don’t drink at all (never have even tried it)…and don’t gamble either. One would wonder why on earth I enjoy Vegas, but if you’re a “people-watcher”, it’s FANTASTIC! Love just wandering through the huge, amazing hotels, and could watch the fountains at Bellagio all day long. Some of the Cirque du Soleil shows are fantastic (highly recommend “O”)…Madam Tussaud’s wax museum is fun, aquarium in Mandalay Bay is neat, and if you don’t mind a 45 minute drive outside of the city, I would HIGHLY recommend the Hoover Dam tour…it’s absolutely fascinating! There are plenty of wholesome things to do there, even if it is “Sin City”. (Told my husband if he feels like losing $200, just send me to the outlet stores…why lose it at a casino?)

I have seen O and love it! Totally agree on shopping vs gambling. :)

SaraRM     at 7:26 pm

I have that shirt and those shirts and they both are my absolute favorite! They are SO comfortable!

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health     at 7:27 pm

Aw you are such a cute pregnant woman! You look great :)

Maryann     at 7:46 pm

Ohy gosh, I can’t believe you are 6 mos already. You look terrific and enjoy your babymoon!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking)     at 7:55 pm

Pregnancy definitely suits you :)

Aw, thanks!

Vickie     at 8:04 pm

I went to Vegas when I was six months pregnant and before we had left I had my glucose test done and I got the news that I had to do the three hour test to confirm that. The nurses were upset that I had to wait to take the test until after I was back from Vegas a week later but I think all the walking I did helped. I got back and took the test to find out that I didn’t have gestational diabetes. Lady Luck had followed me home! Have fun on your babymoon!!!

Yep, planning to do a lot of walking and packing comfy shoes!

Kim     at 8:16 pm

Have a lovely Babymoon!!!
You are looking fabulous! :D

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 8:18 pm

So awesome. You look great! Have a wonderful trip to Vegas- babymoons are so funny! when did that trend start??

No idea, but I’m happy to take one! :)

Mandy     at 8:38 pm

I’m so happy you’re sharing all this stuff, cutest pregnant lady ever.

Lauren     at 8:44 pm

I don’t see it girl. You are not as big as you probably feel! :)

Lauren     at 8:50 pm

You look so good pregnant! I love these updates!

olivewineandfood     at 8:53 pm

have fun in vegas! that sounds like a great babymoon.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 8:53 pm

My husband and I went to Vegas when I was 7 months pregnant. :-) Enjoy your babymoon!

Kiran     at 8:53 pm

You are looking great preggie mama :) Have a fun babymoon!

Kara     at 9:17 pm

You are just the cutest! You look so wonderful and beautiful!! Enjoy the babymoon! :)

Stefanie     at 9:21 pm

You’re super cute, and I looooove reading your blog and your pregnancy updates. Since becoming pregnant myself though, this is a real pet peeve of mine (I’m a self-described math nerd, though, and I would imagine your nerdy math-loving husband could explain this well! :)) – a month =/= 4 weeks. You’re not technically 6 months pregnant until you finish week 26. If you keep counting as 4 weeks = 1 month, you’ll end up being 9 months pregnant for a full month (i.e. 10 months pregnant), and pregnancy is only 9 months, 1 week long. Not 10 months.

Here, check this out: http://www.baby2see.com/pregnancylength.html

Interesting! I always thought pregnancy WAS ten months. Hmmmm…

Stefanie Reply:

I know! Most people do :) But pregnancy is measured 40 weeks from the first day of your last period. If you count in actual calendar months from that day to the date you’re “due,” you’ll see that it’s only 9 months 1 week (example, my LMP is 11/18, my EDD is 8/25…Nov 18 to Aug 18 = 9 (calendar) months…25-18 = 7 days –> Pregnancy lasts 40 weeks, which = 9 months, 1 week). Nerd alert :) Anyway, it’s not that important, just something my nerdy self needed to figure out precisely for my own nerdy benefit. You look amazing and I’m glad you’re feeling great! These next few weeks are such a fun time in pregnancy. Enjoy it! :)

Joanna@DrizzleofSunshine     at 9:28 pm

Your baby is growing so fast and you look so cute! Have fun on your babymoon. I live 2 hours from Vegas and go atleast a few times a year. I just tried Wolfgang Puck’s Spago and Bobby Flay’s Mesa Grill! Both Amazing! And both at the Ceasar’s Palace.

Allison     at 9:32 pm

You look amazing!! I can’t believe how big baby garnish is getting. You definitely deserve your upcoming babymoon. Enjoy!

Kelly @foodiefresh     at 9:39 pm

I think that will be hard for me too – when other things besides my belly grows. I know everyone experiences pregnancy differently and I’m willing to put up with it to have a healthy happy baby, but I’m sure it’s still difficult.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 9:48 pm

You look incredible! I’m so glad you are feeling well and that baby Garnish is getting bigger and healthier everyday!

Ali     at 9:58 pm

You’re so cute pregnant and your blog is so cute too:)

Emily     at 10:03 pm

I love these post every week! I can’t believe how much you’ve changed in such a short amount of time!! You guys will have such a great time on your babymoon, enjoy it :)

Avery     at 10:25 pm

I think a babymoon is such a great idea. Ps, I would just like to note what a beautiful pregnant mommy you are! You totally have that “glow” you sometimes hear about pregnant women having. So pretty!

Thanks so much! :)

Jackie @ That Deep Breath     at 10:36 pm

you look great! I love this segment on your blog…it’s so crazy to see how quickly the body changes when someone is pregnant. Enjoy the last couple months! The day will be here soon!

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.)     at 10:40 pm

You are the most adorable thing ever! Have a great babymoon! :)

Katherine     at 10:57 pm

I can’t wait to see this sweet little baby!

ashley @ cooking for john     at 12:22 am

oh my goodness your belly is beautiful! you look great!

i feel like i am surrounded with pregnant women on these blogs,i love it! my fiancé’s sister is also expecting in early november, i can’t wait until we are ready for our own. :)

Lindsay     at 12:55 am

I totally know how you feel about EVERYTHING getting bigger. Even though I should expect it by now, it doesn’t get any easier the fourth time around. But don’t worry, you seriously look great, it’s all for the good of the baby and you’ll get back to normal soon enough.

I’ll be in Vegas, too, this weekend! Visiting the in-laws. Have fun there!

Laura     at 3:35 am

you look great! how are you preventing stretch marks? or do they not normally come until the last few months?

I’m not doing anything other than just trying to gain weight slowly. Crossing my fingers and hoping I don’t get any!

Emily @ Life On Food     at 6:57 am

I absolutely love your weekly updates. I am not pregnant nor plan to be any time soon but I am so happy to read about your experiences. I feel so much more prepared when the time does come. It definitely shows all of the time, energy and thought that needs to be put in. This week you look so incredibly happy!

Alaina     at 8:28 am

You are just the cutest pregnant lady! And you are glowing. :-)

I love reading these updates.

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs     at 8:58 am

You’ve grown so much! You look full fledged preggers instead of “baby or food baby?!” :D Sounds like you’re doing really well, I’m sure you’ll enjoy this deserved upcoming baby-moon :D

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat     at 9:05 am

I am so jealous that you are going to Vegas! My husband and I aren’t big drinkers or gamblers either but there is just so much to do there and it’s amazing how many families you see walking around :) We went there on our honeymoon in July, almost 6 years ago (!), and while it was really hot it’s so much better than where we live (KY) because of the low humidity and I’m sure you can hang out by the pool with some cold lemonade or iced tea to cool you off :) Have fun!

Happy (almost) anniversary! :)

Morgan     at 10:41 am

I love your pregnancy updates! And no I can’t believe that you’re already that far along. It feels like it was just yesterday that you were announcing it on here!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite     at 10:47 am

Always love these updates. Have the best time ever in Las Vegas! I was just there and did a little round up of the restaurants I visited. If you want to check it out, here’s the link! http://www.theavidappetite.com/home/2011/6/28/what-happens-in-vegas.html

Have fun!

Awesome – thanks!

Anne@YourKindofSalad     at 10:48 am

I LOVE Vegas! We tend to go in the summertime when its HOT – two tips :)

Be mindful to keep drinking lots (even more considering your thirst); since you don’t already realize how hot you are in the dry heat.

Also – Not sure where you’re staying, but if you can swing it; you may want to consider a cabana or at least one of the shaded “beds” at the pool – the little available shade that there usually is take by 8am and you don’t want to be in the sun all day, you’ll melt!

Enjoy your babymoon!!!

Good tip on the cabana! I already bought a new filtered water bottle to keep with me at all times while we’re there. :)

Beth @ DiningAndDishing     at 11:21 am

You guys will have such a great time in Vegas! My roommate and her bf just got back from a week there on Sunday and her pics are making me jealous! Any spot with beach, relaxation and yummy food is always a nice vacation, right??

Arlene     at 11:22 am

I’m new to your blog. It’s fun to read! However, I’m concerned by how obsessed you seem to be with your weight during your pregnancy. You are growing a human being–you need to gain weight. I gained about 50 pounds with each of my two daughters. I ate very healthily, and I ended up losing that weight by the time both kids were about 2.

There are biological reasons why your body is gaining weight and fat–it’s to nurse your child. I wish you’d relax about your weight gain and just enjoy the pregnancy. You look beautiful!

Hi Arlene! I appreciate your concern, but I definitely don’t think I’m obsessed with my weight. In most pregnancy updates I read, it seems very normal to track how much weight you’ve gained at each stage of pregnancy. In fact, tracking weight gain is recommended by my doctors to make sure I’m in a healthy range for both me and the baby. I am feeling very relaxed and happy about pregnancy, and also happy about staying healthy and feeling like my best self.

Ann Reply:

Pregnant women should be watching their weight gain to avoid gestational diabetes and a heavy birthweight (which is dangerous for mother and baby at birth). Seems like a smart idea to track your weight gain and aim to stay within the recommended 25-35 lb!

OntarioGirl     at 11:36 am

I’ve been reading your diary for at least 2 years and have never commented but I just have to say you look amazing with your baby belly :) I love reading about your pregnancy! Also, I am going to Vegas as well on July 4th and getting married there on July 6th!! I’m SO excited. Enjoy your baby moon and your time in Vegas!!

Ohhhh EXCITING!! Happy wedding!!

OntarioGirl     at 11:40 am

also to the above noter…I don’t think she’s obsessed AT ALL about her weight. She’s eating healthy and exercising and that is the best thing she can do for herself and her baby! I have lost 60lbs and kept it off and I know when I’m pregnant I am going to definitely keep track of my weight but I don’t think it should be called an “obsession”. I think it’s completely unneccesary how much weight some people gain when they’re pregnant. There is a healthy recommended amount of weight gain and I don’t see why it’s a problem that she wants to have a healthy pregnancy and keep up her healthy eats and workouts! I don’t think she has once complained about gaining weight. Just my thoughts!

Sarah Reply:

I agree. I have not yet had a baby but I think I will be conscious not to gain more than the recommended amount. Maybe it’s “obsessive” to try and stay within the doctor recommended ranges and to be concerned about how you’re going to lose all the weight but I think that is pretty normal and healthy. I’d always tend to think- the more weight I gain, the more weight I need to lose! There’s a fine line between being conscious of your growing size and letting it get out of control.

Totally agree, Sarah. There IS a fine line, and I think it’s important to monitor your progress so things don’t get out of hand. Not good for mom OR baby!

Karolina     at 11:59 am

I love these posts, and think it’s so creative to hold up veggies and fruit to show the size of the baby! I hope you’re able to keep walking too- it’s so healthy!

I can’t believe you are already 6 months pregnant. It seems so fast only reading about it online. It might seem a bit slower since you’re actually living it.

Vegas is definitely fun! My husband and I went in May, but it was weird because the previous times I’ve been there it was HOT and when we went it barely got above 75, lol. Have a great time!

Katie @ Shared Bites     at 1:52 pm

Looking beautiful, Emily! Have lots of fun this weekend!

Nichole (Flirting with Food, Fitness and Fashion)     at 2:16 pm

You look great!!!

Thanks!

sallymae     at 2:44 pm

You look gorgeous! Congrats on your 6th month – time is starting to fly by!!! Have a great time on your baby moon. So exciting and you will be so glad that you took a little trip pre-baby.

I am 18 weeks today and our ultrasound is in 2 weeks! Yippeeeee:) I’m also having my moments with my “new body” – I love baby of course and my mini bump (I finally posted a pic on my blog;), but I’m definitely feeling larger in general. Just trying to keep it all in perspective though and eat as healthy as I can…although sometimes cheesecake gets in the way of that! :) I have to admit though, I love showing off my baby bump at the gym and it always gives me a confidence boost to be the pregnant lady rocking it on the weights. After all, we are training for the “marathon” of our lives!

meagan     at 2:49 pm

I feel like the extreme-thirst thing is pretty normal. When I was pregnant I had a water bottle or ice chips with me constantly. I’m not normally like that. Friends who have been/are pregnant are the same–can’t leave home without the water bottle!

And being pregnant in summer (I was, too)…well, I just should have walked around with a Camelbak.

You look like you’re doing great! Have fun in Vegas :)

colleen     at 3:01 pm

You look fabulous and enjoy your babymoon!

amy     at 5:03 pm

ahhh so cute! i love these updates! Vegas will be hot as hell but its vegas…you’ll have a great time anyway!! just gotta stay in the pool or go shopping :)

Carly     at 5:39 pm

You are so cute. I also wanted to tell you that I have a lot of respect for you and Casey for not drinking or gambling. I don’t either but I feel like I have a really hard time making friends. It makes me happy to know that there actually are other people out there who don’t drink haha. Have fun!

Heather B     at 9:15 pm

You are definitely one of the cutest pregnant people I have ever seen! I got extremely thirsty too when I was pregnant and my diabetes test came back fine. One good piece of advice I got was ” if you think you are drinking enough water, youre not…drink more!” Especially when exercising. think of how much you need when you’re not pregnant, then factor in creating new life, that’s a whole lot of water to be had! I don’t drink either and I looove Vegas! have fun ;)

Adriane @ GreenhornLiving     at 10:44 pm

Eek! Beautiful and so exciting. I love that fifth picture of you–you look like a cool & confident glowing mama. Have a great trip!

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)     at 1:07 am

I have those shorts and love em!

Holly @ RUST BELT RUNNER     at 11:44 am

You look amazing!

Yay for babymoon! The pool sounds awesome!

Jo @ Jo In the Kitchen     at 11:45 am

If you make it over to the Luxor pool in Vegas, my sister works there. I’m sure she could hook you up with a shady spot! :)

Samantha @ MyaMaternity.com     at 12:48 pm

You are so beautiful and your belly is perfect. You look great. Isn’t is amazing how your baby changes so much everyday. At this time they have taste buds which is absolutely crazy at such an early stage. A child’s growth is amazing.

I own a maternity store if you are interested. Let me know if I can help with anything. The website is http://www.MyaMaternity.com. You can also use code 10OFFNOW for 10% off. Good luck with your pregnancy and I’m following to see how it goes.

Brooke     at 1:08 pm

Don’t let the thirst thing worry you. When I was pregnant with my son I would drink soooo much water. I would wake up in the middle of the night and down 2 big tervis tumblers full of water! (And i didn’t have gestational diabetes.)
Love getting your updates!!

Kristi     at 2:02 pm

You look great! An ear of corn seem so big – Baby G is really growing. Hope that you enjoy your Babymoon in Vegas!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 7:09 pm

You are glowing!

That baby is getting so big now. As long as an ear of corn…you can practically hold an ear of corn like a baby. haha

gg.gg     at 4:50 am

Ten fishing rod japanese mknutes later Bruce arrived; he wasn’t anchoring, he
was beaming. All of our local waters have been fishing these waters alll their life.