For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

West Coast Puppers.

Can you believe it has been almost two months since we moved here to Seattle?  Time flies!  One of the questions I have been asked the most since we arrived is how the dogs are adjusting to their new life on the West Coast.

Moving our dogs 3,000 miles across the country was one of the biggest sources of stress surrounding our move.  In fact, at one point I suggested turning down the Seattle job offer because the logistics of moving them that far were just way too complicated.  Clearly that wasn’t true, as here we are all safe, happy, and healthy.

Casey was my hero and actually drove the dogs the entire 3,000 mile journey with his mom along to keep him company and help with dog transportation.  Our dogs actually do surprisingly well in the car, so the road trip itself went really well.  They had their first experience with riding in elevators, sleeping in hotels, and riding through the mountains, and they stayed cool and calm through all of it.

Since Casey was nice enough to drive them, I took care of booking the trip logistics ahead of time.  Finding pet-friendly hotels that will accommodate 100 pounds of dog is trickier than you might imagine, but in the end it all worked out.  Finally after their big voyage, they arrived to their new home in Seattle and were turned loose to check out the new digs…

They were pretty excited to finally be out of the car and get a chance to explore the new surroundings.  I wonder if they could tell how different the air is out west!

Eventually, they calmed down and settled in with the help of two big plushy new dog beds.

And once the furniture was unpacked, Indy made quick work of finding all his favorite spots to be lazy all day long.

Huey’s favorite spot is the backyard, sitting in the sunshine.  He is happy to sit there all day long while I work just inside at my office desk.

The backyard is small, but still much bigger than our patio in Virginia, and seems to provide adequate space for exploring , sniffing, and chewing sticks.

Huey’s other favorite spot is under the lounge chairs when someone is sitting in them.  I think he thinks we don’t know he’s there..

And on gloomier days when outside isn’t so fun, they both like to curl up in the office with me during the day and keep me company while I work.

IMG_20110630_075527 (640x478)

I have always said that Huey is a special dog, with strange quirks and a personality unlike any other dog I’ve met.  So it should come as no surprise that his favorite place inside the house is…the bathtub.

We have an abundance of bathrooms in this house, and there is a full bath on our main floor that I can’t see anyone ever actually using (there are two more upstairs).  So that has become the place where the dogs hang out when we are gone, and the bathtub is filled with cushy dog beds and pillows for them to sleep on.  Totally ridiculous, but you do what you have to when you live in small spaces!

So I guess this is my very long-winded answer to the question “how are the dogs adjusting?” – they seem to be doing just fine!  They love going for walks in their new neighborhood, and playing with doggie friends at a nice daycare close to our house.

And so the next question to be answered is – do they know there is a baby on the way?

They have 16 weeks left to figure it out…

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 11:08 pm

I love that Huey sleeps in the bathtub – that is just too much!!

bitt     at 12:59 am

i am glad i’m not the only one with like 4 beds per dog. they deserve it, right? I’ve heard dogs can hear the heartbeat. i bet they know something is up.

Christine     at 2:51 am

I love the contrast between Indy’s reserved demeanour and Indy’s slightly confused expression. So cute! Reminds me a bit of the two dogs in Homeward Bound (I was just the right age to fall in love with dogs when that film came out).

Juani     at 3:11 am

The bathtub is such a good idea for a doggy bed!

Amy     at 5:21 am

I’m applying for jobs all over the country, including Seattle! If I move there my Pointer mix would love to meet Huey! I always show her his pics when you post them. :) sweet pointer love.Amy

Heather     at 9:05 am

i love how regal your dogs are always looking.

Anne     at 9:20 am

I don’t remember why taking the plane wasn’t an option for the dogs ? I heard there are good air lines services for pets in USA…

Jess     at 9:56 am

Your dogs are super cute! I hope they realize you’re pregnant soon though…don’t want to smoosh the belly :)

Elisha     at 9:58 am

I wish this were a Facebook post so I could click “like”.

Kate @ NaturaStride     at 10:11 am

So adorable. Love the tub pics – hysterical :)

Katelyn     at 10:36 am

this is the CUTEST post. those bathtub pictures are hilarious!

Jessica     at 11:49 am

Congratulations on the move! I think your dogs look very happy and excited! I am guessing that they have more playing room now, no?

Ciera @ Rose & Thistle     at 12:59 pm

That picture in the tub is hilarious, bless him. He looks super comfy. Mine either sunbathe, or if the weather is bad one of them likes to try and climb ON the desk to ‘assist’ with my work, using me as his springboard no less…. Clearly he’s a lot smaller than yours though!

Julia     at 1:24 pm

They are so cute! I laughed at all the tub pictures. That is so adorable.

melody polakow: Vegan for 3.33 a day     at 1:37 pm

One of the best dog posts ever!.. Sleeping in the tub? How adorable!

Jenna     at 12:47 am

The pictures of Huey in the bathtub are adorable & hilarious at the same time. Sometimes I find my roommates cat sitting on my bathtub and it cracks me up.

Leigh     at 12:50 am

Love the pictures of your dogs and glad to hear that they are doing well with the move! We have a GSP mixed with a chocolate lab, and he’s a little quirky also!

Erin     at 1:45 pm

I just found your blog and look forward to following!! I’ve been cooking more and more vegetarian and your recipes look GREAT! Huey looks a lot like my dogs – is he a Weim? I have 2 and they are the best running buds, and great with my 2 little boys. I laughed at your post about Huey stealing your blueberry banana bread. Nothing is safe in our house when left unattended on the counters, even for half a second :)

Lucas     at 2:46 pm

You can do this in the house, the backyard, or on a quiet time during a walk.

Though treating the symptom itself will often improve patient demeanor and comfort, it is no replacement for making a
correct diagnosis of the underlying cause, and certain drugs can be harmful if given blindly (for example,
giving metoclopromide to a dog with a gastric or intestinal obstruction).
Do not progress from this stage until you have 5 correct behaviors