For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

A Few Things.

Sorry to be so quiet today, guys.  It’s been a strangely emotional day.  We leave for the beach tomorrow evening, and I still haven’t packed a thing.

Luckily he bathing suits I ordered for our trip showed up just in time.  I ordered four hoping that ANY would fit my new round belly.  Luckily two seem like they will work, so I’m taking them with me to Charleston for some fun in the sun.

Tomorrow I’ll have to take the pups to the kennel for their long 7-day stay.  I absolutely hate saying goodbye to them.

And even though sometimes they are very very strange…

They are my babies.  I don’t like to be away.

For the past few days I’ve been working non-stop on a freelance project that has involved making massive amounts of granola.  My kitchen looks like a granola laboratory!

We will be eating granola for weeks when I’m finally done…

Not exactly a bad problem to have though.  I’m planning to pack some of it up into baggies and take it to the beach with us to share!

Today is also the last day that Sarah is with us in Seattle.  She’s coming to the beach with us, but at the end of our trip she’ll return to Ohio when we head back home.  I don’t know where the time went, and I’ve found myself to be very teary all day long at the thought of her leaving.  Even though she spends 80% of her day watching me cook and playing on her phone…

Having her here to help us make this transition to Seattle has been such a gift.  I know that for the rest of our lives we’ll reference “that summer in Seattle” when we got two interrupted months together.  All sisters should be so lucky.

Casey is actually out of town this week, and I am missing him a lot too.  In the meantime, Sarah and I are doing our best to eat our way through what is left of the fresh produce in the refrigerator…

We have our work cut out for us.

Last but not least, I got some not-totally-unexpected, but still somewhat upsetting news today.  I failed my first gestational diabetes screening test.  I promise to tell you all more about it tomorrow – when I took it, how I prepared, what this means, etc.

The timing is less than ideal with my upcoming vacation, so I will be back at the hospital early tomorrow morning for the second test that lasts three hours.  I am very worried that the result will be the same.  While I know that it can happen to anyone and that the results are still very inconclusive, I’ve been pretty emotional about it all day long.

I promise to be back tomorrow with an update either way, and hopefully good news about test number two.  I am definitely read for vacation!

martha     at 10:37 am

you did not fail, it is just your bodies response to the changes going on in your body. i had gestational diabetes when pregnant with my first daughter, it was a matter of changing my diet, fail, and having the doctor monitor, success, but all in all i was not a good patient. daughter now 30 and me much older, so all is good.
have a wonderful time on your vacation at the beach, i will keep you in my prayers.

Brooke @ bittersweetBrooke     at 10:40 am

I’m so sorry to hear about your new Emily. Keep your chin up, you’ve done everything you can to prevent it so you are not to blame. Hopefully your 2nd test tomorrow will go better!

Luna     at 11:16 am

Emily, you’re so beautiful and so sweet. Don’t be worried about the test results, it can be wrong, and even if it’s right, it is so incredibly common. All my friends had gestational diabetes, no matter what they ate or did, exercise-wise.In fact, it is not even triggered by food in the first place, but you already know how it works for sure!It’s just a “normal” bodily response, and you’re so healthy overall that everything will be fine.
Enjoy your vacation and the time with your family! :)

Jill     at 11:20 am

I failed my first test with my first child 11 years ago. Just didn’t pick the right foods for breakfast that day. My three hour test turned out fine. I’ll be thinking of you and I’m sure everything will be fine.

Danielle     at 11:30 am

The 3-hour test really isn’t so bad. I’ll be crossing my fingers for you. Just try not to stress (easier said than done), because stress elevates your blood sugar. :)

Jen Williamson     at 11:39 am

Aww good luck. I failed my first one as well and remember those feelings. It sucked. But I passed the second one with flying colors. Will keep you in my thoughts. :)

Jo @ Jo In the Kitchen     at 12:01 pm

I hope your tests go well! Will be sending good thoughts your way.

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well.     at 12:05 pm

Praying for you and the baby!! I hope everything goes well.

Cyndi     at 12:09 pm

That test is very hard on the body, at least for me it was. Give yourself time to recoup. Even so, it is very important to do what is best for baby in the long run. Pray that the outcome will be no problem, but if not then, that you can make necessary changes to diet to make this pregnancy the best it can be!

Ann @ Day By Day     at 12:12 pm

I love what you said about “that summer in Seattle” that you and your sister will always be able to look back on. That was so sweet!

And as a Type 1 diabetic, I know a LOT about diabetes but not much about gestational diabetes. I hope the second appointment goes well and that everything turns out fine! Hopefully you’ll get good news and you can enjoy a great trip in your 2 new swimsuits to one of my favorite cities.

Beth     at 12:16 pm

I am sure things will be fine with baby. It could be something much worse. I will be praying for you and baby boy. Enjoy your vacation!

I’m sorry you’re having some emotional days, no fun. But hopefully you can get some time to relax and I pray that your testing goes well and isn’t too boring.

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats     at 12:44 pm

Emotional days are tough! :( I hope today is better for you!

Erin @ Naturally Addicted     at 12:51 pm

Geez… sounds like you’ve been running around non-stop! At least vacay is right around the corner. I love Charleston. Definitely one of my favorite cities… y’all are going to have a great time. I’m jealous! Delicious looking granola though. You’re family will be excited for all the healthy snacks, especially on vacation you can never have enough. Good luck with your second test!

Alexa @ Simple Eats     at 12:55 pm

I hope things get better for you…you definitely need a vacation! Hope you can get some relaxation in!

Jennie @ Designed to be Fit     at 1:03 pm

I know the feeling with your sister! Every time I leave my big sister (who is actually pregnant and is due the same time as you) we always cry our eyes out, even if we’re going to see each other in a few weeks. It’s so nice to see that you guys got to spend so much time together, and she got to be with you during one of the most exciting times of your life!

Meagan     at 1:33 pm

It just me, or does it seem like GD tests are inconclusive?

Kerr     at 7:20 pm

I hope the test went well this morning and you are safely on your way to chucktown (or already here!) enjoy vacay, cant wait to hear all about it!

running shoes