Discovering Seattle.

It’s Friday afternoon and our weekend is almost here.  Which makes me realize I didn’t show you our fun adventure from last weekend – whoops!  We took advantage of a perfect cool Seattle summer day, packed up a backpack, and went hiking in Seattle’s Discovery Park.

It was much more of a trail hike than I was expecting (like paved roads), and it turned out to be really fun.  At the bottom of a giant hill we discovered gorgeous views of the mountains and the water.

And look who else got to come…

Now that we are living in the Pacific Northwest and there is all this fun outdoor adventure to be had, I am determined that we are going to have normal dogs that can do normal dog things – like hiking with us on Sundays!  Our city dogs are a bit pampered and don’t always behave well in public, but bit by bit I think they are getting the hang of it.

It’s so much more fun when we have them with us too!

Absolutely gorgeous.  I can’t wait to explore more of this park on a day when I have more energy.  Only had a few miles in me this time!

Time to keep moving…

Attempts to get a family portrait.  Probably the best you can do with two moving targets!

Days like this make me so happy that we live out here.  The air is cooler and different, and definitely in a good way.

I was always mesmerized when I saw the monuments in DC, and it never got old to drive or walk and around and see their massive presence.  Out here, I feel the same way about the mountains.  This could absolutely never get old.

If you can believe it, this coming weekend is Sarah’s LAST weekend here with us in Seattle.  It truly feels like she just got here, and I think I’m in denial that two months have flown by so quickly.

We are going to fill it with as much fun as we possibly can.  Have a great weekend!

Alaina     at 6:06 pm

What gorgeous surroundings! I definitely want to go out there sometime when my husband gets home. But I’d probably never want to leave. ;-)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 6:11 pm

Wow, what a beautiful weekend! Sorry your sister time is almost over. I have three sisters and I never get to see them. You are so fortunate to have had that time with Sarah. Enjoy the weekend Emily!

christina cadden     at 6:12 pm

Your photos are so pretty!

Kathy Vaughn     at 6:13 pm

I have been wanting to visit Seattle for like ever. My husband doesn’t understand my attraction. Wants to know what there is to do there. I am using your posts on Seattle as ammunition. Bring on the big guns. This one was great. Understand we live in Colorado; it takes a lot to make the boy move now.

Nina     at 6:14 pm

You’re totally one of those pregnant women that only looks pregnant from the side or front! Congrats on keeping so fit during your pregnancy. :)

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me     at 6:19 pm

Wow, time did fly! I felt like I was just reading how she was coming to stay with you!

Lauren     at 6:21 pm

LOVE Discovery Park but definitely don’t go there enough…thanks for reminding me of this fantastic park! You should put Carkeek park on your list to see. It is small but usually not too crowded right on the Puget Sound. Take a picnic and go eat on the beach.

Stephanie W     at 6:21 pm

I’m glad you guys made it out to Discovery Park. It is one of my favorite places in Seattle. When you are back to running, it is a great place for a trail run if you do the loop and you definitely get a hill workout too.

My dog was a total city dog when we moved up here and she now loves going on hikes. Have you been to the dog park at Magnuson? It is awesome. It is a very large space and has an area for dogs to swim in Lake Washington. So fun to see all the dogs swimming.

Nina @ SLO Foodie     at 6:23 pm

Just saw your hummus recipes on Yahoo Shine/Oprah.com. They look so good, I’m going to make the cucumber dill in my next batch!

Heidi     at 6:28 pm

Great pictures, I miss the mountains so much! We don’t even have hills here in Chicago. Have a great weekend!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 6:35 pm

Ah! I wish we were still in Seattle. After our recent vacation there, we’re pretty convinced to move there in the next few years. So much amazing green space! If you haven’t been already, check out the Japanese Gardens and Arboretum. The gardens are small but amazing, and the arboretum is huge!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 6:38 pm

Girl you ROCK the baby bump! You need to go to the original Starbucks!!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats     at 6:46 pm

What an amazing park! I can’t wait to see it for myself when I move! And yet again I kudos your steady activity while pregnant!!

Michaela     at 6:49 pm

I have those EXACT running shorts and they’re absolutely awesome. I have like 8 pairs of Old Navy running shorts and I love them all, but the latest round are a bit longer, which I think is great. The color is also awesome.

Lauren     at 7:07 pm

I love Discovery Park – Magnolia is such a beautiful neighborhood too! Check out Myrtle Edwards Park when you get a chance. It’s near the Olympic Sculpture Park – the views of Downtown Seattle as well as Puget Sound are awesome! It’s a secret gem :) There is a jogging path too – I favorite it over Greenlake as it’s never as crowded! Parks to steer clear of on a “summer” day here – Alki and Greenlake – waaaaay to busy!! Haha!

Gina (Yogattude)     at 7:59 pm

Wow, I can’t believe it’s her last weekend already…I hope you have a fun-filled last weekend together!!!

Kristina     at 8:14 pm

Oh… I hear you on being sad about friends and family visitors leaving. We got married last week and ALL of our close friends and family were there so for several days we had constant bonding time, and when they all left it was definitely a bit of a downer. Enjoy the last few days with your sis!

Balancing Sylvia     at 8:15 pm

All of the views are spectacular. I can’t wait for you to show us more. Especially when you have your little backpacker to take too. So sad that your sister has to leave but I’m sure this summer has been super special for the both of you. Enjoy your weekend!

Kristen @ Chocolate Covered Kristen     at 8:18 pm

Maybe it’s the cooler air or proximity to the ocean…. or maybe I’m just crazy, but is it just me or does the air feel cleaner on the West Coast than it does in DC?

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups     at 8:23 pm

Looks like a great time. I’m jealous of your weather!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 8:49 pm

I feel the same way about the mountains when I’m in Portland or Seattle. They are always breathtaking. Looks like an awesome day outdoors.

Jen     at 9:27 pm

Breathtaking pictures!!! I could never tire of that scenery!!

Colleen     at 9:47 pm

Gorgeous views! Just wait in a few months you’ll be pushing or carrying Baby C on those trails.

Katherine     at 10:07 pm

Those dogs are adorable!

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life     at 10:40 pm

I can only imagine how stunning the landscape was in person. Beautiful family picture!

Allison     at 12:50 am

I can’t believe it’s been two months already that your sister has been with you. Time is really flying. It looks beautiful there!

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts     at 5:37 am

It looks like a great walk – and the dogs are clearly loving it! Not too long until your family portraits have an extra addition :)

Alex     at 7:32 am

Take her to Theo chocolate for a tasting and the flying apron bakery!

Elisabeth     at 8:46 am

Wow! Your summer together sure went fast… Hope you all really enjoy your last weekend together. (PS – those photos of Seattle are beautiful – makes me want to move there right now!)

Marie     at 9:01 am

My husband and I just got back from a vacation in Sidney, Victoria and Tofino, British Columbia. It’s just a hop, skip and a jump away from Seattle (but a full day’s trip from my home) and I fell hard for the breathtaking views and the climate. We saw orcas, seals, bald eagles – went hiking through rainforests and along the coast – kayaked through gorgeous inlets and saw more sea stars than I knew existed. So jealous of your new pacific northwest home, especially as I swelter down here in the deep south!

Jackie @ That Deep Breath     at 10:28 am

What a gorgeous hike! Summer went by too fast…enjoy your weekend

Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out     at 12:01 pm

Dogs are very hard to photograph. You guys did pretty good!

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions     at 4:54 pm

Be sure to say hi to my family! They’re all out in Seattle right now visiting my grandparents/aunt who live out there (I’m at home working…lameski).

Amanda P     at 5:03 pm

The Pacific Northwest looks so gorgeous! I hope to live near water someday, and definitely visit Seattle!

olivewineandfood     at 7:27 pm

aww i love hiking! i can’t wait til it cools off a bit for some nice hikes!

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 8:11 pm

What a beautiful city! You and your sis are so stinking cute! :)

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs     at 9:25 pm

gahhhhh I want to live there. I keep petitioning!! Looks like a beautiful day :)

Chelsey @ Chew with Your Mouth Open     at 10:10 pm

You and pups are too cute! I have lived in the Seattle are my whole life and have never been to Seattle Discovery Park! It is amazing sometimes, the great things you miss when you live somewhere. Looks like fun, I will have to check it out sometime!

Elly     at 5:45 am

Wow, that’s really beautiful. I want to go for a run there!

Sarah @ EatRunGarden     at 9:04 am

So beautiful and looks like a fun time.

I have a confession to make: I have been reading your blog for a while and I always love reading about you and your family and your adventures but for the last 2 months every time I read your blog it makes me want to pack up and move to Seattle!

Gena     at 5:12 pm

So glad you’re settling in to your new home! And oh so mad, still, that you aren’t here in DC to frolic with me.

Brooke @ BittersweetBrooke     at 9:02 pm

That scenery is gorgeous. I want to travel to the west coast so badly. I know what you mean about the scenery never getting old, I moved to DC 6 months ago and I agree the monuments never cease to amaze me.

Kim @ vegan mama-to-be     at 11:00 pm

You look wonderful – you give me hope that one day I will be out of the first trimester blues, and able to enjoy the summer :) I love seeing your posts about Seattle. We live in Portland, and would like to take more train trips up to the area.

Jen R. (emeraldsunshine.org)     at 11:30 pm

Wow, I can’t believe two months have flown like that either. I hope you enjoy your last weekend together!

Steph @ Running in the Kitchen     at 12:37 pm

What a lovely weekend! I know all about having to manage a city dog in the outdoors. My dog Rooney doesn’t really know what to do with himself when he gets off leash and can run wherever he wants. But within a couple minutes he realizes he can terrorize squirrels and goes on his merry way :)

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Discovery Park Adventures.     at 11:02 am

[...] and headed over to Discovery Park in the Magnolia neighborhood.  I had only been there once last summer, and we didn’t explore too far because I was pregnant and tired.  This time we did quite a [...]