Week 27: My Pregnancy Journey.

Can you believe this is the LAST week of my second trimester?  This middle part of the journey has literally flown by.

How Big is the Baby?

This week, Baby C (!) weighs a little over 2 pounds, which is as much as a head of cauliflower!

More about him this week…

He’s sleeping and waking at regular intervals, opening and closing his eyes, and perhaps even sucking his fingers. With more brain tissue developing, your baby’s brain is very active now. While his lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with a lot of medical help — if he were to be born now.

I find it both completely amazing and also somewhat terrifying that our baby could actually be born NOW!  As anxious as I am to meet him, I hope he decides to stay in there for a quite a while and grow big and strong.

How I’m Changing

Growing, growing, and more growing!  And unfortunately it’s not just the belly anymore.  At almost seven months pregnant, I don’t think there is any way to avoid that inevitably everything will get bigger.  I had to get another pair of maternity jeans this weekend since my old ones were starting to feel uncomfortably tight in the legs.  They are a little baggy now, but at this point comfort is my main priority, and I need them to last me 13 more weeks!

Earlier in my first trimester I had a hard time sleeping, but that got progressively easier over the last few months.  Now suddenly sleeping is very uncomfortable again, and simply turning from one side of my body to the other is an athletic event.  My pregnancy body pillow has become a permanent fixture in our bed!

I have changed SO much over the course of this second trimester – both physically and emotionally.  Hard to believe that when it started I still looked like this…

And I’ll finish it looking like THIS!

I wrote a farewell to the second trimester over on Babble today, complete with a look back through weeks 14 through 27, and snippet of what I was saying/thinking each week!

Buying for Baby

I didn’t really buy anything new this week other than our crib mattress.  I’ve been spacing the bigger nursery purchases out week by week so that I don’t feel totally overwhelmed by how much there is to do.  Plus it is fun to expect new and different packages at the door each week!

The nursery progress continues with our fun new wall decal, and I had waaay too much fun hearing all the words you guys were able to spell in the trees.  I had no idea there were so many!

I also did a dresser drawer makeover that turned our icky linoleum drawers into bright bursts of color.  Slowly but surely, the nursery is coming together!  This is my sister’s last week of living here with us in Seattle, which is VERY, very sad.  But it also means that once her things are out of the room, we’ll be able to start putting up a few more decorations and really bring the room together.

Exercising for Two

Workouts have continued to make me feel strong and healthy.  It’s funny that in some respects, I’m actually getting into better shape while pregnant, rather than losing fitness.  My arms are definitely much more toned from all the weight lifting I’ve been doing, and overall I feel stronger from hauling the extra weight around while staying active.

My energy levels are still pretty good, but I’m definitely slower and slower each week.  I find that by the end of the night I am really exhausted!  Case in point – I usually take my weekly update photos in the mornings after I shower, but I ended up taking these last night around 8pm.  I look a little more tired than I usually do earlier in the day!

Way back in week 18 I showed you guys the fun iPad app I downloaded for tracking my pregnancy and the baby’s growth progress.  One of the features of the program is to show a life-sized simulation of the baby’s size each week.  He’s so big now he doesn’t even fit on the screen!

There is no question that he is a real baby now, and it’s hard to believe that he’ll be here in just about 13 weeks.

We have one more summer vacation planned this year, and it’s coming up this weekend!  I’ll be kicking off my third trimester with a week in Charleston, South Carolina with Casey’s family.  We’re trying to take advantage of as much vacation and family time as we possibly can before Baby C arrives!

For previous weekly updates and more pregnancy-related posts, visit my pregnancy page!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 6:07 pm

Oh Charleston- how fun! I love Charleston.

Looking great, Em! I feel ya on the sleep thing. I have been doing pretty well until this past week because it’s so hard to roll over with a watermelon strapped to my belly :)

janetha @ meals & moves     at 6:09 pm

You are a beauty! I can’t believe the 2nd trimester had so much growth. Pretty amazing.

Rebekah     at 6:09 pm

Hi Emily! I’m more of a lurker than a commenter, but yay for Charleston! It’s hot, hot, hot here, so be prepared. Wanted to tell you about this yummy place you might want to try: Five Loaves Cafe. Not sure how vegan-friendly they can be, but all of their food is fresh, local, and really good!

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life Reply:

I LOVE Five Loaves! I totally second the recommendation– they have a decent selection of veg-friendly food.

Girl In The Pink     at 6:09 pm

That Ipad app is so cool! Great idea!

Gina @ running to the kitchen     at 6:12 pm

Wow the week 14vs 27 pics are amazing. It’s crazy how much you mr body changes in the second trimester! Charleston is a great city, have fun!

Callie     at 6:13 pm

Love that baby bump! I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who outgrew her maternity jeans at the start of the third trimester. :)

Haha yeah the old ones are definitely getting tighter. Needed something a little more roomy. :)

Rebecca Young     at 6:13 pm

Wow, I can’t believe the difference between the photo at the beginning of your second trimester and the one at the end of it! You’re right, it has gone so quickly! I have been following your progress. I love all your blog posts, on here and on babble.

You look great!

Hope you have a great holiday in Charleston.

Thanks Rebecca!

Kath     at 6:16 pm

CHARLESTON! You’re so close yet so far away!!

I can’t believe you’ll have a baby boy to carry around soon. I can’t wait to meet him!!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 6:17 pm

Oh my gosh. I love seeing your little munchkin on the iPad. What a beautiful little nugget you have <3

Marci     at 6:18 pm

Lot of wow’s in this post! Wow that’s going to be a long flight but I love Charleston. My family went to Kiawah Island a few summers ago. So beautiful!
And wow you grew in 12 weeks!

Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out     at 6:29 pm

Yay! You look radiant!! Enjoy your Vay-Cay!

Ella     at 6:31 pm

What kind of pregnancy pillow did you buy/where did you buy it? I’m only 13 weeks but dreading having to switch from sleeping on my stomach to sleeping on my side. I need all the help I can get!

I have the Boppy body pillow and I love it.

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 6:36 pm

The second trimester is over already?!?! The weeks have just flown by.

Hannah     at 6:50 pm

I was born at 30 weeks and 2 lb 12 oz … I am 5’7 now and totally healthy!! And that was with medicine and neonatal care 20 years ago! This is not meant to scare you, but to reassure you that no matter when your baby comes, he will be healthy and in great hands!

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life     at 6:55 pm

Charleston is one of my absolute favorite places on earth. You’ll have a blast!

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs     at 7:07 pm

Have so much fun in Charleston! Hope you’re able to take it easy and soak it all up :)

Colette     at 7:11 pm

Hi Emily, I’m a regular lurker, but just had to delurk to say congrats on your pregnancy and soon-to-be baby boy! I’m the mom to 3 precious girls, the youngest of which was born on the 1st day of my 27th week of pregnancy (I had been on bedrest for 10-wks prior…so we knew it was coming). Here’s a link to when she was 2 weeks old with my husband’s wedding band on her arm. http://evelynmariemoore.blogspot.com/2008/11/day-14-11308.html
So tiny! Anyway, I’m writing not to scare you, but to encourage you. My little girl is now a precious 2.5 yr old and you wouldn’t know the difference. She’s right on track for her growth and development. Congrats on your baby boy! :-)

Allison Reply:

Hi Colette, I just read about Evelyn and am in tears. I am so happy to hear she is healthy! I cannot imagine how you were feeling.

I sat and read her whole story last night and literally could not BELIEVE the pictures with the wedding band. Hard to believe my baby looks like a real baby inside there too, but Evelyn certainly did! She is quite the miracle. Thanks so much for sharing. :)

Lexi     at 7:16 pm

Ooooh LOVE Charleston! Husbands family is from there so we get to take lots of trips back:) Favorite eats – Justine’s, Magnolia’s, and Hominy Grill (it’s famous for a reason!). Enjoy!!

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope     at 7:29 pm

I only hope that I look as half as good as you when I am pregnant. You always look so pretty, glowing, and even healthy! I think we’re the same height (5’3?), so there is hope…hehe

Thank you so much!

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 7:30 pm

Oh my gosh you look amazing!

Krystina (Organically Me)     at 7:42 pm

You’re so beautiful, and I look forward to these posts every day. :)

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama     at 7:50 pm

I love that iPad app! You are looking fabulous. Have a great time in Charleston!

Morgan @ Endorphaholic     at 7:53 pm

You look so great! What an exciting blessing coming your way :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga     at 7:54 pm

You’re looking awesome and you’re in the home stretch…the 3rd tri!! WOW!!! Congrats :)

Lauren     at 7:59 pm

Wow, I can’t believe the 2nd trimester is over. You’re still looking amazing!

Katherine     at 8:17 pm

Savor the third trimester! Our baby girl arrived 8 days ago at 38.4 weeks and I cannot believe how fast the pregnancy went and that we have this amazing being in our lives. It is the greatest thing ever and all the tough work of natural childbirth was so worth it!

Congrats mama! :)

Colleen     at 8:33 pm

Wow another week closer. I remember those olympic events called repositioning, turning over in bed, getting out of bed or off the sofa. Hang in there and get plenty of sleep when you can.

Cheryl     at 8:35 pm

Emily, would you share with me what you are doing in regards to your weight training? Do you lift heavy(would you tell how much) or do you lift light and more reps? I think it is great that you have continued this through your pregnancy. I wish you continued good health as you go into that third trimester.

Writing a post on weight training that I’ll be posting next week while I’m at the beach! I’ll include all the reps and weights with it to give some perspective.

Alissa     at 8:43 pm

Ditto on the weight training! How much are you lifting and what are you doing? You look great, so happy for you!

Coming next week – stay tuned!

Rachel in NC     at 8:45 pm

Emily, what is the name of that app? I want to try it out!

You look great!

It is called Hello Baby, and it’s made by Pampers. :)

Rachel in NC Reply:

Thanks!

Shari     at 8:51 pm

Have a wonderful time in Charleston. It’s such a beautiful, interesting place to visit :)

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)     at 9:48 pm

You’re looking great! Have fun on your mini vay-cay.

Amy*     at 10:00 pm

It might just be the pictures, but you don’t even look pregnant from the front! Congrats on the baby, and best wishes for your third trimester!*

Kerr     at 10:22 pm

I hope yall enjoy your time here. Its been super duper hot, get ready! If you need any tips feel free to ask!

I’m scared of the humidity!

Kerr Reply:

It will take your breath away, and fog up your sunglasses when you walk outside. But on the plus side there is no need for lotion!

Sarah     at 10:31 pm

Looking fantastic!!! I love following along your journey. I’m about 13 weeks along in my pregnancy and I’ve really been enjoying reading about your experience. Would you mind sharing the name of the ipad app? I’d love to download it myself!!! Thanks!

Congrats to YOU – how exciting!!! iPad app is called Hello Baby and it’s by Pampers.

Sarah     at 10:32 pm

Oh yes…and what pregnancy pillow did you get? I’m having the hardest time sleeping and hoping things improve for the 2nd trimester.
Thanks!!

Boppy total body pillow!

Ashley     at 10:48 pm

I love how full your face looks. Pregnancy looks good on you!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]     at 12:27 am

That blue stripped top is ADORABLE!

Thank you! Forever 21. :)

E     at 1:06 am

That blue striped shirt is adorable! Have fun on your Charleston vacation – jealous ;)

Jackie @ That Deep Breath     at 1:46 am

You look beautiful! It’s so fun to follow your pregnancy journey.

Kate     at 2:29 am

Oh, I am SOOOO jealous (I am 8 weeks pregnant, so still in the nervous, queasy, tired and craving carbs phase. Ugh!) Jealous of your app- though my olive is still big enough to easily fit on my tiny android screen ;)

It does get better – I promise! Congrats to YOU!

Caroline     at 5:48 am

hope you enjoy Charleston! I’ve lived here for almost 2 yrs and it’s fantastic (and sweltering) this time of year. So many delicious restaurants to try….if you can get a reservation at Husk, it’s the new dining darling of the city

Kate     at 7:19 am

Have a great time in Charleston! :) I’d suggest FIG, Husk, and McCrady’s. They’re all fanc(ier) restaurants in Charleston but I wholeheartedly believe they will be the best places to adapt to your veganism. The chefs are FABULOUS.

Alaina     at 7:29 am

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again: you look FANTASTIC! I can only hope that I will be able to stay as active when I start to have a family.

Casey     at 7:43 am

I picked up my CSA share yesterday afternoon, and it included a MASSIVE cabbage! I thought to myself…hmmm this would probably make a good, veggie prop for Baby C’s final weeks!

Hilarious. I’m pretty sure there is a cabbage week coming up…

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me     at 7:58 am

Yay! I love these posts!

RhodeyGirl     at 8:16 am

You look gorgeous as usual!! Love the nursery updates.

Brooke @ bittersweetBrooke     at 9:04 am

You are absolutely glowing Emily! You definitely look like an in shape mommy to be. It realy has been fun watching all of baby C’s progress. Now if only I could figure out what the C stood for?!

Christa     at 9:18 am

We were in Charleston this past weekend and had a great time. Make sure you visit the market and take a tour of some kind (we did a walking tour, but it lasted 2 hours so you may want to opt for a carriage tour). We ate at a cute little place called Petticoats and it was great…not vegitarian or vegan at all, but the quiche i had was amazing (Vidalia onion, arugula, red peppers and cheese)! Make sure you hit up King St. for lots of shopping :)

Caitlin     at 9:26 am

Hi Emily! So happy to hear that you are coming to Charleston! I love love love it here and I know you will too! If you are up for it (and it’s not too hot and humid) try walking the Ravenel Bridge. You will easliy be able to get in 3 miles and you will get beautiful views of the area along with a breeze! Hoping to see some Charleston related blog posts soon!

Katie     at 10:00 am

Interested to hear what mattress you chose…could you fill us in on the decision?

I got the Colgate Eco Classica 1. I read that the Colgate is the top rated mattress, and I got the Eco version because I’m trying to get as many natural and organic products as possible.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather     at 11:15 am

You look so amazing pregnant! It’s crazy to think how much your belly has grown lately… Your baby is getting so big!

Amber K     at 11:27 am

I am loving living vicariously through you for this pregnancy ;)

One day I hope it’ll be me! You continue to radiate the joy in your heart. Hope you can get some rest.

I hope so too, Amber!! Thank you. :)

Avery     at 11:42 am

I love seeing your pregnancy from beginning to end! So much fun!

I LOVE Charleston! That’s only about 4 hours from here and one of my favorite cities of all time. In a year or so we’ll be moving to Myrtle Beach, SC and will be much closer to Charleston. Have lots of fun! :)

Gwen     at 12:12 pm

Emily you look so wonderful! Such a glowing example of a healthy pregnancy. I am just loving following around!

karin (allpointswhole)     at 12:42 pm

those comparison pics were crazy!! you are such an adorable preggo!

Elizabeth     at 1:10 pm

I totally agree with everyone else commenting about how much you changed over the 2nd trimester. I can’t believe it!

And I love all your veggie comparison/pics of baby. I think it would make a really nice collage picture for the nursery. I always see a bunch of those on pinterest that show progress, but the veggies add a fun and unique twist.

Rachel     at 2:24 pm

I’ve really enjoyed reading about your pregnancy. I’m around your age and, I feel like you’ve me a great view of what it will be like when I finally am pregnant. And you look amazing!

Courtney     at 2:31 pm

Wait until you have a baby to carry around and see how much more toned your arms become!

Enjoy Charleston – we vacation on the Isle of Palm every summer and adore it. If you get a chance, stop in Peninsula Grill for the coconut cake. Best dessert on Earth!

Lyn     at 3:24 pm

This is random and personal, and feel free not to answer them…but I would love if you did a deeper post involving wether or not you’ve continued to get your period, as well as sex while pregnant.

Sorry if this is TMI, but to me, I am nervous about my husband losing interest or me being scared to have sex while pregnant…such a little price to pay for a miracle, but still something to think about

Hi Lyn! Haven’t had my period since pre-pregnancy, and I’ve had no bleeding. As for the sex part, I will talk to Casey and see what he thinks about writing about it. My mom reads my blog and I kind of want to die at the thought of her reading that. :) I can assure you though that Casey has never been MORE interested in me, and he is obsessed with my big belly and boobs. :) I imagine most men feel the same way!

Dan Helfgott     at 4:18 pm

My guess is Baby Callie, as in Callie-flower. Congratulations again!

Kristie     at 4:50 pm

Hi, I love reading your blog to see what new recipes you are trying out, as it helps me out in the kitchen too! And, I am so happy to see that things are progressing so well with Baby C!
I live in Charleston, so I hope you guys have a wonderful visit! If you get the chance, I would recommend giving the Blackbean Company a try for lunch (I think James Island location is better than downtown- just my opinion), as they offer some wonderful vegan wraps that are nice and light for our hot, humid weather! Also, there is Patat Spot Friet and Falafel on George street for some vegetarian options, and of course, you have to hit up the farmer’s market in Marion Square for some fresh veggies and treats! Hope you have an awesome trip, stay cool, and enjoy some good ol’ southern hospitality! Can’t wait to hear all about your trip!

Rachelle     at 9:59 pm

You look ssssooo amazing!!!! I just love the glow (even if you are tired). You look excited and in love.
I love that you posted the change pictures in the 2nd trimester. Amazing isn’t it???? I put together a collage of my belly from weeks 12 though 39. It is an absolute trip!!!! So keep doing it, even when you are tired of it, you DO change week by week, even if you don’t notice it.

thoi trang nam     at 6:05 pm

In other phrases, Product Teams do NOT inherit the
ad group bid the best way a keyword does.