For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Week 27: My Pregnancy Journey.

Can you believe this is the LAST week of my second trimester?  This middle part of the journey has literally flown by.

How Big is the Baby?

This week, Baby C (!) weighs a little over 2 pounds, which is as much as a head of cauliflower!

More about him this week…

He’s sleeping and waking at regular intervals, opening and closing his eyes, and perhaps even sucking his fingers. With more brain tissue developing, your baby’s brain is very active now. While his lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with a lot of medical help — if he were to be born now.

I find it both completely amazing and also somewhat terrifying that our baby could actually be born NOW!  As anxious as I am to meet him, I hope he decides to stay in there for a quite a while and grow big and strong.

How I’m Changing

Growing, growing, and more growing!  And unfortunately it’s not just the belly anymore.  At almost seven months pregnant, I don’t think there is any way to avoid that inevitably everything will get bigger.  I had to get another pair of maternity jeans this weekend since my old ones were starting to feel uncomfortably tight in the legs.  They are a little baggy now, but at this point comfort is my main priority, and I need them to last me 13 more weeks!

Earlier in my first trimester I had a hard time sleeping, but that got progressively easier over the last few months.  Now suddenly sleeping is very uncomfortable again, and simply turning from one side of my body to the other is an athletic event.  My pregnancy body pillow has become a permanent fixture in our bed!

I have changed SO much over the course of this second trimester – both physically and emotionally.  Hard to believe that when it started I still looked like this…

And I’ll finish it looking like THIS!

I wrote a farewell to the second trimester over on Babble today, complete with a look back through weeks 14 through 27, and snippet of what I was saying/thinking each week!

Buying for Baby

I didn’t really buy anything new this week other than our crib mattress.  I’ve been spacing the bigger nursery purchases out week by week so that I don’t feel totally overwhelmed by how much there is to do.  Plus it is fun to expect new and different packages at the door each week!

The nursery progress continues with our fun new wall decal, and I had waaay too much fun hearing all the words you guys were able to spell in the trees.  I had no idea there were so many!

I also did a dresser drawer makeover that turned our icky linoleum drawers into bright bursts of color.  Slowly but surely, the nursery is coming together!  This is my sister’s last week of living here with us in Seattle, which is VERY, very sad.  But it also means that once her things are out of the room, we’ll be able to start putting up a few more decorations and really bring the room together.

Exercising for Two

Workouts have continued to make me feel strong and healthy.  It’s funny that in some respects, I’m actually getting into better shape while pregnant, rather than losing fitness.  My arms are definitely much more toned from all the weight lifting I’ve been doing, and overall I feel stronger from hauling the extra weight around while staying active.

My energy levels are still pretty good, but I’m definitely slower and slower each week.  I find that by the end of the night I am really exhausted!  Case in point – I usually take my weekly update photos in the mornings after I shower, but I ended up taking these last night around 8pm.  I look a little more tired than I usually do earlier in the day!

Way back in week 18 I showed you guys the fun iPad app I downloaded for tracking my pregnancy and the baby’s growth progress.  One of the features of the program is to show a life-sized simulation of the baby’s size each week.  He’s so big now he doesn’t even fit on the screen!

There is no question that he is a real baby now, and it’s hard to believe that he’ll be here in just about 13 weeks.

We have one more summer vacation planned this year, and it’s coming up this weekend!  I’ll be kicking off my third trimester with a week in Charleston, South Carolina with Casey’s family.  We’re trying to take advantage of as much vacation and family time as we possibly can before Baby C arrives!

For previous weekly updates and more pregnancy-related posts, visit my pregnancy page!

Katie     at 10:00 am

Interested to hear what mattress you chose…could you fill us in on the decision?

I got the Colgate Eco Classica 1. I read that the Colgate is the top rated mattress, and I got the Eco version because I’m trying to get as many natural and organic products as possible.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather     at 11:15 am

You look so amazing pregnant! It’s crazy to think how much your belly has grown lately… Your baby is getting so big!

Amber K     at 11:27 am

I am loving living vicariously through you for this pregnancy ;)

One day I hope it’ll be me! You continue to radiate the joy in your heart. Hope you can get some rest.

I hope so too, Amber!! Thank you. :)

Avery     at 11:42 am

I love seeing your pregnancy from beginning to end! So much fun!

I LOVE Charleston! That’s only about 4 hours from here and one of my favorite cities of all time. In a year or so we’ll be moving to Myrtle Beach, SC and will be much closer to Charleston. Have lots of fun! :)

Gwen     at 12:12 pm

Emily you look so wonderful! Such a glowing example of a healthy pregnancy. I am just loving following around!

karin (allpointswhole)     at 12:42 pm

those comparison pics were crazy!! you are such an adorable preggo!

Elizabeth     at 1:10 pm

I totally agree with everyone else commenting about how much you changed over the 2nd trimester. I can’t believe it!

And I love all your veggie comparison/pics of baby. I think it would make a really nice collage picture for the nursery. I always see a bunch of those on pinterest that show progress, but the veggies add a fun and unique twist.

Rachel     at 2:24 pm

I’ve really enjoyed reading about your pregnancy. I’m around your age and, I feel like you’ve me a great view of what it will be like when I finally am pregnant. And you look amazing!

Courtney     at 2:31 pm

Wait until you have a baby to carry around and see how much more toned your arms become!

Enjoy Charleston – we vacation on the Isle of Palm every summer and adore it. If you get a chance, stop in Peninsula Grill for the coconut cake. Best dessert on Earth!

Lyn     at 3:24 pm

This is random and personal, and feel free not to answer them…but I would love if you did a deeper post involving wether or not you’ve continued to get your period, as well as sex while pregnant.

Sorry if this is TMI, but to me, I am nervous about my husband losing interest or me being scared to have sex while pregnant…such a little price to pay for a miracle, but still something to think about

Hi Lyn! Haven’t had my period since pre-pregnancy, and I’ve had no bleeding. As for the sex part, I will talk to Casey and see what he thinks about writing about it. My mom reads my blog and I kind of want to die at the thought of her reading that. :) I can assure you though that Casey has never been MORE interested in me, and he is obsessed with my big belly and boobs. :) I imagine most men feel the same way!

Dan Helfgott     at 4:18 pm

My guess is Baby Callie, as in Callie-flower. Congratulations again!

Kristie     at 4:50 pm

Hi, I love reading your blog to see what new recipes you are trying out, as it helps me out in the kitchen too! And, I am so happy to see that things are progressing so well with Baby C!
I live in Charleston, so I hope you guys have a wonderful visit! If you get the chance, I would recommend giving the Blackbean Company a try for lunch (I think James Island location is better than downtown- just my opinion), as they offer some wonderful vegan wraps that are nice and light for our hot, humid weather! Also, there is Patat Spot Friet and Falafel on George street for some vegetarian options, and of course, you have to hit up the farmer’s market in Marion Square for some fresh veggies and treats! Hope you have an awesome trip, stay cool, and enjoy some good ol’ southern hospitality! Can’t wait to hear all about your trip!

Rachelle     at 9:59 pm

You look ssssooo amazing!!!! I just love the glow (even if you are tired). You look excited and in love.
I love that you posted the change pictures in the 2nd trimester. Amazing isn’t it???? I put together a collage of my belly from weeks 12 though 39. It is an absolute trip!!!! So keep doing it, even when you are tired of it, you DO change week by week, even if you don’t notice it.

thoi trang nam     at 6:05 pm

In other phrases, Product Teams do NOT inherit the
ad group bid the best way a keyword does.

www.guppy.tk     at 6:47 pm

Good article! We are linkking to thi particularly great post on oour site.
Keeep up the great writing.

running shoes