What’s In a Name? Choosing One for Baby Boy.

Is it just me, or is thinking about baby names one of the most fun parts of being pregnant or even THINKING about becoming pregnant?  For most parents-to-be, I imagine it’s also one of the first conversations you have upon finding out that you’re expecting.

Before getting pregnant, I always had names that I liked, but I wasn’t one of those girls who had a name picked out since age twelve.  I think I always knew that the name would depend on the pregnancy.  And it turns out I was right – once I actually found myself pregnant, the old names I once loved so much didn’t feel so perfect anymore.

After finding out that our baby was a boy, Casey and I made a lot of lists and had a lot of ideas about what we liked, but we couldn’t seem to agree on any one name that felt like the right fit.  We shared our top picks with family and friends, and suddenly we were inundated with advice, strong opinions, and new suggestions.

It was then that I realized that choosing a name was something that needed to be entirely our decision – outside of the influence of family and friends.  I know that the people who love us will love our little guy no matter what his name is, and it was really important to me that our son’s name be something that we both felt was the perfect fit.  So we decided to close the public discussion on names and keep is as a fun secret for just to the two of us until October.

When thinking about names that we liked, we tried to keep a few factors in mind (just our personal preferences)…

1.  Popularity.  We both agreed we didn’t want to use a name that was overly popular (in any top baby name lists), but we also didn’t want something so obscure that it didn’t even seem like a name.

Capture

2.  Associations.  I think one of the hardest parts of picking (and sharing) names is the constant name association.  “Oh I knew someone with that name and hated it.”  There are a LOT of people in the world, and if we tried to pick a name with zero associations, it would be almost impossible.  So we tried to keep all name associations (and subsequent rejections) reasonable and relevant.

3.  Mutual Agreement.  For us, it was really important that we BOTH were truly in love with whatever name we chose.  For many months we halted our name discussion because we had reached a stalemate where we both had number one name picks that the other didn’t love.

I was absolutely in LOVE with the name Graham, and was convinced it was the perfect name for our little guy, but Casey wasn’t a huge fan.  The funny thing is, now that we have a different name, he doesn’t feel like a Graham to me anymore.  And while I still absolutely love the name, now it just doesn’t feel right.  Which makes me believe that the name we DID choose was meant to be.

When my sister was pregnant, she decided to keep the name a secret too, but a few weeks before his arrival she decided to share his initials with us. Just like that the “unnamed baby” became JHC, and with just a few little letters he suddenly felt like a person instead of a belly. Baby J, who I eventually learned would become Baby Jonah (!) felt so much more real and connected to me once I knew a bit more about him.  And at the same time, Rebecca and Sam still got to keep the name to themselves until his official arrival – a win-win!

(Side note – Jonah will be one month old tomorrow (!) and look at how freaking adorable he is. I can’t wait to meet him next month!)

photo

So just last week, Casey and I decided to share the same thing with our families – one letter.  It’s just one little letter, but for some reason I think it makes him feel that much closer to being here.  I’ve used a lot of nicknames for him over the past 26 weeks – Baby Malone, Baby Garnish, Baby G, etc.  But this little guy is actually…

Baby C!

Guesses and speculation will not be entertained.  :)  We call him by name all the time now, so much that I’m worried I’ll let it slip on our upcoming family vacation.  Having a name chosen and settled just brings us one step closer to his arrival in a few short months.

Now if we could only agree on a middle name…

Lee     at 3:07 pm

I can’t wait to find out what it is.

My husband and I do not agree on names at all. I’m not pregnant, but for some reason, we talk about baby names all the time!

Freya     at 3:07 pm

Ooh I can’t wait to find out what you’ve called him! Casey Jnr!?
I would struggle to think of a name, purely cos I have about 20 on my list! Gah.

mindy @ just a one girl revolution.     at 3:08 pm

Yay, one step closer, so exciting! I can’t wait to hear what Baby C’s actual name is!

fittingbackin     at 3:08 pm

Baby C! Aw such an exciting time in you guys’ lives – loved how you went about naming ‘lil C!

Kamaile     at 3:10 pm

How cute is Jonah doing tummy time! I do love the name Graham but can’t wait to find out what Baby C’s name is.

Kara     at 3:10 pm

Does Sarah know??

She DOES know! She is the only one who knows other than me and Casey. She was with us when the final name came to us, so we couldn’t really keep it from her! :)

MegaNerd Reply:

hehe – I was wondering that as I was reading, too. :)

I can’t wait to find out Baby C’s name!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 3:10 pm

Ahh the suspense! can’t wait to find out the real name.
My husband and I do NOT see eye to eye on ANY names. I’m not pregnant and we honestly don’t even know if we want kids but he has listed “Ajax” & “Pericles” (he’s Greek, can you tell?) as his top two. That alone is reason to not have kids for me! All I can think of when I hear Ajax is the cleaning stuff they used in elementary school to clean up after kids that threw up.

OMG the Ajax association is way too strong for me. :) Totally makes me think of cleaning powder!

Kate     at 3:10 pm

Will you tell us if it is one on a list????

Casey (Jr.)

Hah!

Kamaile Reply:

Cremily or Emsey LOL!!!

Rachel in NC Reply:

Cremily…LOL

Caitlin Reply:

I just LOLed in the middle of Starbucks.

Meagan Reply:

HAHA!

Jess Reply:

I vote for Cremily!

Colleen     at 3:12 pm

Middle name is important too, since it will determine the baby’s full initials…C?M.
Definitely don’t use a name like Ulrich, heehee.

Julie (A Case of the Runs) Reply:

Ha ha…

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey Reply:

Ha! I almost snorted my iced tea out my nose at that one. Thanks for the laugh. :)

~

Oooommgggggg. Dying laughing here.

erica Reply:

omg.buahahahahaha.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey Reply:

oh this is too much hahaha

Meredith Reply:

that took me a few seconds to get but now i’m cracking up ahahaa

Abby Reply:

Yes! Be careful of initials! I am living proof. first name: Abby
Middle name: Suzanne
and of course my last name would begin with an “S”

all my kindergarten projects came home with A.S.S. carved in the back.

Colleen Reply:

OMG, Abby, you poor thing! :) lol

Kelly     at 3:12 pm

I love that decision to just share the first initial! It gives the little guy a little more character without spoiling the surprise later :)

…not to mention giving all of us readers a chance to think of all of the baby boy ‘C’ names and wonder which it is :)

alana (at) the food     at 3:13 pm

i know a lot of couples who had a harder time with middle names!
so many factors to consider i guess :)

BB     at 3:13 pm

We kept our son’s name a secret too. My poor Mom was desperate to find out. Our ultrasound was performed on a Phillips monitor so the print out we got to show friends and family had Phillips writtne across the top. My Mom was *just certain* that we were naming him Phillip. “Sorry mom, that isn’t it.”

The last time I wrote about choosing a name, I mentioned I used a website called Nymbler. A bunch of people scrolled through quickly and thought that was his NAME!

Michaela Reply:

ah no way! both stories are too funny!!
but Nymbler? Seriously, come on!

Rachel     at 3:14 pm

I had a similar experience trying to decide on a name for my new puppy. I realized I was relying too much on outside opinion and in the end I decided to go with the name that I liked the best (Cash) even if it wasn’t everyone’s favorite choice. Can’t wait to find out what C stands for :)

I think Cash is a great puppy name!

Lee Reply:

Cash is my puppy’s name!

Shanna Reply:

Love the name Cash! But my brother and SIL stole it already with the middle name of Cache (she grew up in cache valley). By the time I get around to having kids, they’ll have taken all the good ones… :(

Lindsay     at 3:14 pm

AGH! Now I am dying to know :)

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 3:15 pm

Not preg or married, but I totally have a girl name picked out (no ideas for boy name yet), but in a way, I hope that if/when the time came, I’d change my mind, since it seems so pre-conceived (no pun intended!).

If I were to marry my current boyfriend, I’d have to consider the Jewish tradition in which you name your kid with the first letter of a deceased loved one. And it does NOT fit with my pre-determined name.

Molly Reply:

I HATE that tradition. Well, I don’t hate it, but I’m not Jewish and was completely offended when my Jewish mother in law kept ordering me to name our child after her mother, whom I had never even met. My husband and I decided on a first name we both loved and then used my mother’s maiden name as a middle. It’s been a year and she’s still pissed.

Julie (A Case of the Runs) Reply:

I am probably going to fall into the same boat. I am aware of the tradition but don’t necessarily want to go with it… I’m leaving that one buried until I’m preggo and can cry about it. =P

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous Reply:

Yeah I’m definitely named after 2 of my great grandmothers to get my first and middle name.

Betty     at 3:16 pm

Middle name must flow with first name for ease of calling/yellling out the back door – as in “get in here now baby C Garnish” – must always pass the back door test –
good luck not slipping up next month – and yes Jonah is the cutest

Haha hilarious!

bridget     at 3:17 pm

I completely agree that naming your baby is a personal decision. My husband and I didn’t find out the sex of either of our children. When I was pregnant with my son, everyone joked about names, since my last name is Whyte – “Lily, Snow, Barry”. Finally, I told people that if he was a boy, we’d name him Dwight Whyte, and if a girl, she’d be Pricis Whyte (COME ON DOWN!!!). Well, “Dwight” stuck, and for the rest of the pregnancy, we called him Dwight. It’s not the name we gave him, but it was fun to call him something, without starting the name or the boy/girl conversation. And, when I was pregnant the second time, my mom dubbed her “Betty Whyte”. The real introductions came after my husband and I met our babies… =-)

Ellen     at 3:17 pm

Can’t wait to “meet” baby C! So funny that your sister’s baby has the same birthday as my sister’s. My little nephew will also be 1 month tomorrow. So wonderful to see them grow :)

For what it’s worth, he was born and they immediately decided he didn’t look like the 2 names they were set on, so you never know.

We have NO backups! It better fit! :)

cheryl Reply:

This happened to us on both our children…We had names picked out but when we saw them, the names didn’t fit… Jared Austin, turned out to be Chad James, and Olivia Marie turned out to be Rachel Leigh……. go figure ,but their names really suit them, so glad we changed at the last minute.

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 3:17 pm

Also, I have some pretty strong guesses of what the “C” stands for… maybe this should become a contest, ha ha! ;)

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me     at 3:17 pm

What fun. The future hubs and I have a few names that we already like but babies are probably 5 or so years away still. :)

Amanda (Eating Up)     at 3:17 pm

Colby? Caleb? Connor? This is so fun!

Erin     at 3:21 pm

My son’s name is the only boy name my husband and i could agree on! If we ever have another boy we’re in trouble:)

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey     at 3:22 pm

Aww, Baby C!
(Cole?)

I can’t imagine not finding out the sex, so I think keeping the name a secret from most people is definitely a great idea. Good luck not slipping up next month. (I’m guessing Sarah knows, since she is living with you?).

My boyfriend and I have actually HAD the baby name conversation over dinner out one night… we had SOME overlapping agreement, but not MUCH. ;)

~

Kara Reply:

My first thought was Cole as well! Maybe just cause it’s one of my favorites..

Lee Reply:

It was my first thought too for some reason.

Sarah knows! :) She’s the only other one though.

Kristen @ The Concrete Runner     at 3:23 pm

Oooh, I’m excited to find out! Whenever anyone has a baby lately I always have to ask about the name. We have 2 picked out for our baby girl, and I have shared them with a few people, but I won’t share the definitely name with anyone. The funny thing is, the 2 names are so similar that it’s really hard to choose! One is more popular than the other, so I’m leaning towards the less popular one. But, I feel like I need to see her before we decide for sure! We’ve had a middle name picked out since before we were married, so that has helped! It’s a really hard decision though because you just want it to be perfect!

Sarah @ goingongoals     at 3:25 pm

It is amazing how much goes into choosing a name. My fiance is a Jr and I have always loved my middle name, so if we have one of each we are set. It’s if we have more that we would be in trouble.

Rachel in NC     at 3:26 pm

Ugh, picking a name was stressful for me, not fun! My husband and I couldn’t agree for the longest time and it led to a few arguments because one of us would think the other was being ridiculous about it.

However, we did finally pick one, and our little boy is also Baby C!! :) I can’t wait to hear what you’ve picked, because ours is also a real name but not really common at all.

run run rachel     at 3:28 pm

because the boyfriend is a huge Smallville fan, and he has the crispest blue eyes and i have super dark hair – that if we have a boy and he happens to inherit those traits his name would be Clark.

Don’t steal my Clark thunder :)

Liz A Reply:

well, if that is what they picked, that could be a little awkward…

Marie Elena     at 3:28 pm

Congratulations on choosing a name! I’m a week behind you and my husband and I have the middle name picked (our first appointment was on St. Patrick’s Day, so Patrick was sort of a no brainer for us. We don’t like it for a first name though), but we cannot agree on the first name. When we found out we were having a boy, I felt so much more connected to him because I could stop calling him “the baby” and use an actual pronoun. Now I expect having his name nailed down would just make that connection so much stronger. I love that you’re keeping it secret. Makes everyone even more excited for October!

Katie KS     at 3:30 pm

We still don’t have a final name. Well, maybe but I can’t yet commit. Such a big decision!

Katy @ MonsterProof     at 3:32 pm

We were so paranoid that we’d call “the baby” Robby before he was born that WE never said it. I think it made him seem less real, though and I wish we had used it between the two of us.

Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life     at 3:39 pm

So exciting :)

Julie S.     at 3:44 pm

What a great post! I agree w/ you 1000% that you should keep the name to yourselves exactly for the reasons you stated. It’s so true that once you decide on a name, the baby becomes so much more a little person. :)

When I scrolled down & saw the pic of baby Jonah, I gasped out loud… like “Oh!” SO CUTE!! :)

Amy     at 3:45 pm

My guess is Carter. Don’t know why but I like that name and it starts with a C so why not? Can’t wait to find out if I’m right! ;)

Lisa     at 3:47 pm

We’re also keeping the name to ourselves! I almost slipped when we were visiting my parents in MA but luckily I caught myself before anyone noticed. For that reason (and because I am incredibly superstitious) we don’t often refer to the baby by her name. We did look at her initials in the store laid out together for a nursery decoration so I’m pretty sure her name is set, but we still need to see her face to be 100% sure. My parents thought my name was going to be Michelle but obviously, that’s not what they named me :-)

I cannot wait to find out what Baby C’s full name is–I better stop calling him Baby G now!

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.)     at 3:50 pm

One step closer :) im so excited for your family to grow! I bet the pups will love him. One of my favorite things to see is big dogs who *know* to be gentle with young kids… I think it’s so neat.

Jenna H     at 3:53 pm

I love the name Graham, too! But I don’t know if we would ever actually use it. My favorite “C” name is Callum. It’s not very popular in the U.S. so I’m fairly certain it’s not Baby C’s name, but it IS similar to Graham. Guess I’ll find out in October! :)

Kristie     at 3:53 pm

Not pregnant, but my husband and I have talked about baby names a few times and neither of us like the other’s favorites. My current favorite boy name with a C – Cody. So I guess I’m secretly rooting that that is it :).

Maria     at 4:02 pm

I’m dreading this conversation with my husband. We just got married, we’re not pregnant yet and have already agreed that we won’t talk about baby names until there’s actually something to name. It’s been tradition in his family that the first (or only in his case) be named the same the name. His dad has the same name, his grandpa, etc. BUT I’m not a fan of his first name and his own grandma told me she wishes she wouldn’t have done it either. So I think I have him convinced to do it as middle name.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 4:04 pm

AHHH I WANNA KNOW!!! Is it Caleb? Or Cameron? Womp.

Michelle     at 4:04 pm

carl? constantine? caesar? kidding :P

my bets are on caleb. or possibly cayden, as the ‘ay’ and ‘den’ names are quite popular at the moment…

Caitlin     at 4:06 pm

I vote for Chase. I really like that name and Chase Malone sounds dead sexy.

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous Reply:

UM yes, yes it does.

Steph Reply:

holy crap Chase Malone is a hot name.

Maria @ A Life to Bragg About Reply:

Whoah. I agree!

Alana Reply:

Hahaha yeah it is. Hilarious.

Liz A Reply:

seriously. Chase Malone = future star for sure.

There is way too much “dead sexy” talk surrounding an INFANT! :)

Amy Reply:

My thoughts exactly! lol

tracey     at 4:13 pm

caleb? Callum?

I have one son (Liam) but if we have another those are our top two names. We had a much harder time with boy’s names.

whatever name you chose it will be perfect!

Jenna H Reply:

Oh my gosh I LOVE Callum! One of my favorites for sure. :)

I am amazed by all these Callum guesses. I have never heard that name!! (Although I do really like it.)

Jenna H Reply:

It’s pretty unknown here, but fairly popular in the UK. (I heart British names). Since it’s not Callum I amend my guess to Charles “Charlie”. Charlie Malone sounds awesome :)

PS-you’re so smart for not telling anyone! I’m not pregnant, but we plan to keep it a secret, too. I’m still pretty scarred from an experience a year or so ago when the name Leo got brought up and my mother called it a “stupid name”. Umm…it’s pretty much one of my favorite boy names EVER. We have complete opposite tastes, I like more unusual /vintage names (Violet, Henry, Luna, Milo) whereas my mom likes really trendy names (Aidan, Jayden, Avery, etc.) so yeah, we won’t be sharing until the name is officially on the birth certificate!

Courtney G     at 4:18 pm

Aww! When my parents were trying to name me, my Brother called the baby, Baby C. And of course he became Big D. So my parents quickly found out they better find a C name for me. I love C names. My children are Cathryn and Colin. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy. I cant wait to hear his name. Good for you for keeping it between the two of you. It saves a lot of heartache. My husband would have been very happy if I had kept it a secret to the delivery room but I had to share with a few people.
Courtney

S.     at 4:23 pm

You can put the name into http://www.wolframalpha.com/ and find out about the history of the popularity of the name over time. It’s kind of neat, but I also like data.

Jessi @ Quirky Cookery     at 4:24 pm

Lmao at the Skype comic, hehe.

And yay Baby C! (Although I may always refer to him as Baby Garnish because I think that’s just freakin’ adorable). I’m sure you guys will find a middle name to agree on just like you finally did with the first name. :)

Marie     at 4:25 pm

We don’t know boy or girl yet (we’re at 20 weeks – yay!) and Graham is at the top of our boy list! Love it. I’m guessing COLE?!?

Sigh. I still love Graham. :)

Sarah for Real     at 4:27 pm

I think it’s so funny how there are 2 distinct camps when it comes to naming. Traditional-ish people who want real sounding names, and those who have no bounds. e.g. “Apple” “Pilot” “Kyd”

I’m totally in the traditional category, I love family names, but when I get pregnant I’m going to let my family believe we’re naming our kid something outrageous like “eggplant” just for fun.

Liz A Reply:

hehe, Eggplant.

Elizabeth     at 4:28 pm

My guess is Caleb, or at least it was the first name that came to my mind when I read Baby C.
For me, picking the name was more work than I had imagined. So many things to think about: initials, how it affects them in the long run, other kids making fun, etc. We finally picked our two favorite names, and made one the first, one the middle. We have shared them with everyone although sometimes thick skin is needed for the commentary lol
Can’t wait to see what Baby C’s name will be :)

Claire     at 4:33 pm

My nephew’s name is Colby and he is legitimately the cutest little kid I know…

Jasmine     at 4:35 pm

Cameron for shissle!

Amanda @ Cucina Amanda     at 4:39 pm

There are so many different ‘C’ names! You’ll find a middle name! At least you’re more prepared than my sister-in-law and her husband were. They didn’t choose a name for their son until about 5 minutes after he was born! But it’s the perfect name for him!

Megan Reply:

My aunt and her husband are notorious for not picking the names until after the birth! Theresa and Nicholas were easy per Greek tradition. Mary a little more difficult, but when my cousin George was born it took them a full two hours after he was born to name him. Their newest baby (1.5 months!) Philip was named soon after he was born, but it took them 3 days after to decide on the middle name!

Pam Reply:

My twin sister and I didn’t get named until about a week after birth – we were baby A and baby B! And we were born during a planned c-section :) guess sometimes the planned names don’t fit!

Karis' Kitchen     at 4:48 pm

I can relate to not wanting a “popular” name. I’ve only met one other Karis in my lifetime, and I very much like my unique name.

Rachel in NC Reply:

I had Carys picked for my girl name. :) Your name is lovely!

katie     at 4:59 pm

The name WILL come out on vacay. I have a list of names I’m going to throw at you one day when you’re tired and “sun drunk.” I have one name in particular (that I love) and feel like you would pick for some reason. Just you wait! ;-)

Heather     at 5:00 pm

Thank you for sharing his initial, that is so cool! I 100% agree that the name you pick should be something you and your husband choose together and love together. It’s hard when family is involved. Even when we told our family the names we had chosen, we received some, “Hm, interesting… what about ___?!” And it was sad because I knew they didn’t love the name and that was hard to accept. Because we did love it and knew it was the name of our little one. Anyway, can’t wait for the big reveal. :)

carly     at 5:17 pm

THAT’S MY FAVORITE LETTER!!!!!!!!!!!! awesome choice!!!! i can’t wait to find out what the name is :)

Sharon Owen     at 5:18 pm

My sister had to give up her baby boy for adoption due to ‘a situation’ so in honor of her and her son, I knew my first child would named after her (& him). The first child was a boy and he’s proudly known as Christopher Scott (NOT CHRIS!!). Christie and her son Scott are remembered.

2nd child- hubs picked out Samantha cuz of “Bewitched” *smh* and Brooks for his Grandpa’s deceased brother.

3rd child- I didn’t peek at the sex and “felt like it was a boy” all pregnancy long. One day I said “Hm, Sydney Alexandra is nice. Too bad it’s a boy”…. Nope! Now I have Sydney!

Wendy     at 5:19 pm

We kept our babies’ names to ourselves for those very same reasons, except I didn’t trust my pregnancy brain to choose reasonable names, so I had to tell my mom. We had way more trouble choosing a boy name than a girl name. Too many boy names have been stolen by the girls! Luckily my husband and I mostly agreed on names, but when my mom was pregnant with me, she couldn’t find a name my dad even sort of liked until she got to the W’s!

Laura     at 5:27 pm

Picking a name for my 1st daughter was so simple. I believe it was the first name I threw out into the ring and my husband loved it. The 2nd time around was much harder.
I completely understand keeping the name a secret. We got some flack from (rude) people both times when we shared the name and that’s just silly. As long as you don’t name your child something like Beelzebub I think you’re fine.
I can’t wait to find out what you chose!

Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out     at 5:30 pm

Carlton <- Insert nerdy Fresh Prince dance here.

I cannot hear the name Carlton without thinking of Fresh Prince either!

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups     at 5:30 pm

What a fun process! I have heard that people do voice their opinions (in agreement or not) until the baby is born, but if you wait until after he arrives, people are more likely to keep negative opinions to themselves. It’s your choice! I’m glad you were able to make it between just the two of you!

sweatymama     at 5:34 pm

gotta guess! classic, simple… charlie, calvin,… exciting!!!

Heather     at 5:37 pm

My husband’s name is Graham, so I’m a little partial to that one =)

My best friend had a baby, and they kept the name to themselves too. Well, they told me, but just the three of us knew.

Maybe give the middle initial when you know it, so people can buy you cute monogrammed things =)

(And I’m guessing Carter, Cameron or Chase =))

Amy Reply:

Heather & Graham…Heather Graham…lol Sorry!

Kate Z.     at 5:45 pm

Cole!!

Danielle     at 5:45 pm

I think picking out a name is really fun, but really stressful too! My husband and I ruled out really popular and really obscure names too. We’re finding that picking out a name for our second little girl is extra tough!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 5:52 pm

We call Baby D by ‘his/her’ real name now and I just know I’m going to slip up at some point! Keeping the sex AND name a secret is killing me :)

Now, for my fun…
Crawford
Colton
Cade

And a question… how far down the ‘popular name’ list did you cross off? nothing in the top 25? nothing in the top 100?

I don’t think we were even looking in the top 100, although I think Graham is probably close.

Jess (Forever Addicting)     at 6:07 pm

Cute post! I totally agree with your baby-naming factors. It’s funny, some of the popular names were surprising to me!

As for Baby-C…hmm,
Callum,
Casey Jr? :P

Best of luck, Emily and Casey!

Gina     at 6:10 pm

As soon as you mentioned it was ‘Baby C’ the name Carter came to mind.

I had the hardest time naming my son. My daughters were easier but our son was born without a name for the first day and it killed me! I hated him being “little baby no name” for even just a few hours. We did agree on a name in the end and it was a name we had tossed around during my first pregnancy and had then since tossed aside. It just fit. I think it’s best to keep the name to yourselves as long as you can. People will give you their (unwanted) opinions about the name you choose if the baby’s not born yet but rarely do they ever tell you if they dislike it once the baby is born and has been named that. They just accept it as their name. And are so blinded by the newborn cuteness that they don’t even consider the name.

Ashley     at 6:12 pm

Ahh, this is so much fun!!! :)

christina cadden     at 6:19 pm

Picking our daughter’s name was actually hard for us!

Orla     at 6:32 pm

My aunt didnt find out what she was having on her third and after 2 girls was convinced it was another girl and had 2 names picked out. Well, it was a boy and when the nurse asked if she had names picked out she answered, “yep- Martha or Eliza”
He wasnt called either but his name suits him 100%.
Yay for Baby C!!

I think YOU have such a pretty name! Orla – I love it!

Orla Reply:

Ah thank you Emily.

Gabrielle     at 6:37 pm

I wasn’t going to guess but I’ll bite and say Caleb.

As far as middle name, I think that it is beautiful when ppl choose a middle name in “honor” or someone they know. A first name is the place to be personal, so I think a middle name is a perfect place to acknowledge special people.

We’ve discussed this multiple times and know what our ideal name is for a future son, with the middle name being the same as my husband’s middle “Toal” (it’s a family name). If we had two boys, I think the second would have the middle name “Michael” (after my husbands brother). If we have a girl, the middle name will likely be “Kate” (after my sister and his sister).

Ida     at 6:46 pm

I totally agree about avoiding the top 10 names, but not naming the kid something too obscure. I’m curious to know the full name, but the suspense is fun!

Brynne     at 6:48 pm

CODY! Or Connor .. Colin? Haha maybe just because those are my favorites!

Taysa     at 7:00 pm

C names for boys are great! My dad’s name is Corlen (pronounced Core-Lyn) and I have an uncle name Caius (pronounced Kye-Us).

Grandma Judy     at 7:05 pm

He could be called Cucumber and I would love him but whatever his name is, it will suit him perfectly!
Remember, Sarah was almost Jenny Rose until I saw her and just knew she was Sarah :)

Yeah but we all told you we HATED Jenny Rose for nine months…

Shari     at 7:13 pm

It usually takes me forever to choose names for the characters in my novels, so I can only imagine what it must be like when deciding on the perfect one for your baby. When you know, though, you just know :)

And Jonah is ADORABLE!!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers     at 7:15 pm

I love the mystery! And I LOVE that cartoon :)

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life     at 7:36 pm

So fun! My BFF had a baby boy a few months ago and I instantly knew the name — even though they kept it a secret ’til birth!

I’ve had one baby name in mind since I was young — Samantha. It keeps getting “ruined” though, because one of my cousins is named Samantha (I was so pissed when she was born. I was only 13 at the time, too!) and my good friend’s name is Samuel. We’ll see when the time comes for me to pop out my own.

Obviously the Baby C’s name is Cayenne. Or Cutie. :)

Lea @ Healthy Coconu     at 7:40 pm

My nephew who is 3 months old is also named Jonah. He is a smart little baby:)

Once you wrote C, I have all these names going thru my head. If I have a boy, I will call him a name that starts with C too. I have it picked out, lol!

claire     at 7:52 pm

So fun! I love baby names! For some reason, I don’t like girl names that are in the top 10, but a lot of classic boy names William, Michael, and Alexander can creep into the top ten and I really like those. Well, not Michael, but I love Will and Alex.

I’m just 8 weeks pregnant, but we already have our boy and girl names picked out. I do wonder if it will change as my pregnancy marches on.

Sana     at 7:52 pm

Your son will always be Baby Garnish in my book :)

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 8:18 pm

Awww, Baby C! Cannot wait to meet him :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 8:21 pm

I think it’s Caleb. So excited though to find out!

Kari     at 8:21 pm

My husband and I are also keeping our baby’s name a secret. I was so tired of people slamming names I liked, and just like you, I realized that I really didn’t want outside opinions to influence our decision. It’s funny though how many people get upset and have opinions about keeping the name a secret. I just tell them to be patient :-).

Lauren     at 8:25 pm

I love the idea of keeping the name a secret. I don’t think I could keep the sex a secret but the name is something I could do. Can’t wait to hear what you guys decided on! I’m sure its so beautiful.

Alaina     at 8:52 pm

I’m not even pregnant and I’ve already thought up names too. I have a long, Polish last name so we’ve decided to keep the first names short. And my husband’s family is large, but thankfully the names we like haven’t been used. :-P

Julie     at 8:53 pm

My son was very hard to name – my husband and I went back and forth for months. We are a bilingual family (English/French) so the name ALSO had to work in both languages and fit with a long French last name. We chose the name Francis. It was a bit of a fluke – I was reading lists off a baby name website when we both liked it – especially about St-Francis being the patron saint of animals. No one had the same name as him, no one calls him Frank and it just fits.

Congrats on choosing a name! I am enjoying following your journey!

Katherine     at 9:00 pm

Cade, Caden, Caleb, Cameron, Carson, Charlie?

Lol, JK. I can’t wait to see the little Baby C and know what that C stands for!

Jessica Sinclair     at 9:14 pm

Any name will be perfect I am sure, you know your son the best LOL… I was determined not to name my child anything popular… but lo and behold he ended up being named after his great great grandpas who were both JACOB. Oops LOL. We couldn’t decided on a middle name either so he has two after his great Grandpa (Wesley), and Grandpa (Douglas). He knows he’s really in TROUBLE when I bust out all THREE names…. ;D

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 9:17 pm

Colton? Chase? Chad? Kidding! ;-)

I completely agree with the idea of keeping the name a secret. I learned that lesson the hard way with our daughter. We ended up naming her the only name on our list that didn’t get a negative reaction. I love her name, but it’s sad that I didn’t get to pick it for a better reason.

Jen     at 9:21 pm

Chase was one of our top boy names so that gets my vote :)

We had a few favorites and Jeff didn’t agree with my top choice, but now he keeps calling her that. So it’s settled! And I’ve already slipped and told people. I’m so weak.

TELL MEEEEEEEE!!!

Kath     at 9:34 pm

Baby C!!!!!!!! So exciting. ‘Cept that I just put something in the mail to Baby G!

Haha I think he will always be Baby G. Although Graham really would have made that easy, right?

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 10:01 pm

I’m going through C names in my head – I have tons and tons I love!!!

Maria @ A Life to Bragg About     at 10:02 pm

I have a feeling that we’re naming our boy the same name for some reason. Ours starts with a C and though there are tons of C names out there, just based off your other choices I have this feeling they’ll be the same lol!

It’s fate for us though!

Dynamics     at 10:11 pm

Make sure you do the initial test. You do not want to have bad initials. (Adam Stanley Smith = A$$) I was lucky, we have a family middle name that went perfect with our baby’s first name. I love the idea of keeping the name secret since the sex has been revealed.

Marci     at 10:13 pm

Do you name him after someone with the initial? In Judaism, it’s common to name after a deceased person by using the letter. I also have a strong belief in not finding out gender and not saying the names!

We don’t have any traditions or customs, but we just really ended up liking C names!

Elizabeth     at 10:27 pm

I think it’s cool you’re keeping the name private. I think that parents/grandparents start to feel a little entitled when it comes to names and it really should just be up to baby’s parents to be.

amy     at 12:37 am

Not Fair! That makes me so curious!:)

Laura @ Backstage Pass     at 2:07 am

Chace Malone is indeed a hot name!
I once had a brief flirtation with a Canadian musician named Cale, and always kind of liked that name.
Cole? Camden? Cory? Cass? Carey?

Heather     at 8:08 am

After much debate we had one boys name and one girls name picked out for our first. We had a boy and decided he didnt look like his name should be Christian the name didn’t fit him. After a day we decided he looked like a Noah and that is what he was named.
With our second we found out we were having a boy. Big brother Noah picked the name Tyler after his favourite host of his favourite show at the time ..popular mechanics for kids. Both names completely suit both boys.

Elisabeth     at 8:28 am

Ooooh….baby C! I can’t wait to find out what it means (I’m pulling for Christian, my favorite boy name)

P.S. – Your nephew is so cute!

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker     at 8:39 am

Great post. We approached the process in much the same way — as well as the reveal (we plan to do the initials). Which we haven’t done yet . . . because we also can’t agree on a middle name. We thought we had, but then it’s back to the drawing board!

Meagan     at 8:59 am

If we guess the name, do we get a prize? HAHA. My first thought was Caleb. And then the spice Cumin, and then I realized that it was such a funny thought because that would be a horrible and obnoxious thing to name a child… even though you’re both foodies!

Willow @ My Own Trail     at 9:10 am

With my two, we did not choose to find out the sex in advance, so we had three potential names for each sex picked out. I tried to avoid sharing any of the name choices with people because I didn’t want all of the negative comments. I don’t know what it is about pregnancy and baby naming, but people think they can just say whatever they want to you, with no consideration of how their comments will affect you. Once each child was born and named, people still felt like it was OK to tell me why they didn’t like the name we had chosen.

Karen     at 10:29 am

It was easy for us when we named my older daughter (who is 8) Ella Katherine. We were toying around with the name when out of the blue, my mother-in-law called and said, “How about naming the baby Ella?” I mentioned it to my father who told me Ella and Katherine were the names of my great-grandmothers on his side. We decided the name was fate. With my younger daughter, Emilia Genevieve,(who is almost 3) we really struggled. My husband and I have very different taste in names and just couldn’t agree on anything. He came up with Emilia, and Genevieve is after his grandmother. I kind of wish we would have spelled it “Amelia” because I’m constantly having to correct the spelling.

With both of the girls, we were trying to avoid names that were too popular, but the year after Ella was born, her name moved into the top 10. And the year after Emilia was born, the combination of Amelia/Emilia popped in at #11. We call her Mia as a nickname, and she calls herself that, so it will probably be permanent, and I noticed that’s #10 on the list you posted. I guess we’re trendsetters? Or not as creative as we think?

I love the name Mia and I was actually surprised to see it in the top ten. I had no idea it was so popular! I also love Amelia/Emilia, and if my name wasn’t so close to it I’d consider it for a girl.

Emily     at 10:56 am

There are so many good ‘C’ names! I like Cameron, Chris-although too popular I think-and Connor. But Carter is nice too. I’m just hoping it’s not Cullen! ;)

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat     at 11:15 am

Middle names are tough! My friends who have had kids had a harder time agreeing on a middle name with their husbands as opposed to the first name :) That’s exciting that you have decided! When thinking of my future kids, I just have to remember to not let their initials spell something funny ;-)

Jackie @ That Deep Breath     at 11:57 am

I totally agree about people’s associations with names…I think that’s one of the hardest parts of choosing a name! Can’t wait to see what the rest of Baby C’s name is!

Lauren J     at 12:03 pm

I love it! Pregnancy is such a visible and open thing to experience even though its really something very personal to you and your little family. I love the idea of keeping the name something for the true insiders to know and everyone else to find out when you are ready :)

Jen     at 12:14 pm

My brother and sister in law did the same thing when she was pregnant with my niece. The weird part is that I totally dreamed about the name many months before she was born! After she arrived, my sister in law told me how freaked out she was that I had guessed the name correctly. My brother and I are twins and that already freaks her out (We once bought each other the same birthday card).

Enjoy keeping people guessing and enjoy these last few months. :)

Jen

BTW – My niece’s name is Sophia but we call her Sophie. I had no idea it was so popular now! I don’t think it was 7 years ago.

My husband and I have had our future kids names picked out for awhile. I also did not want super common or super obscure names. In fact, my names are all familial. I want my first boy named after my grandfathers and my first girl to be named after my grandma. We discussed first names and middle names (all of our kids will have two middle names, as one of them will be my last name).

I think it is so smart to keep the name to yourselves so you can not have everything be so public for people to discuss and judge. But I was bummed at first because hearing the name and reason behind it is one of my favorite parts of finding out someone is pregnant!

Amber K Reply:

Oh and that is the CUTEST picture of your nephew! He’s adorable

Kristen, Sweetly     at 12:22 pm

Beautiful Baby Jonah!! That apple stare-down is too much.

I love the idea that the little initial detail made the baby feel more real. Like you learned about the little guy before he came out. I also LOVE the idea of the parents getting to keep a secret like that together.

Michaela     at 12:29 pm

You are so right with the things you kept in mind while chosing a name.
And no, you are not the only one getting exicted about picking names :D I, in fact, started making lists for my future children when I was 12 and I still do lists sometimes ;) Just need the right guy, eh?!
I can´t wait to find out what name you have picked for your little fella!

Shayla @ The Good Life     at 12:32 pm

How exciting!! And so excited to find out what the name is! I absolutely love a lot of C names…Chase, Cory, Caleb, Cole, Camden, Cash, etc.

Our hubby and I already have a girl and boy name picked out so I hope it still feels right once I’m pregnant! I also made the mistake of telling some people and they would always say..”Oh I new someone with that name…” and then they’d give me a weird look…umm what’s that supposed to mean?! Ha I’m keeping my mouth shut now ;)

Nina @ SLO Foodie     at 12:42 pm

One of my little brothers is named Graham. They’re twins, actually, and I can’t even imagine if the other one was named Graham since it’s just gotta “fit,” right?
The world is so excited to meet Baby C!

KatieTX     at 12:59 pm

Randomly last week I decided I liked the name Caleb. So that is my guess…gut instinct :) I bet you are gonna have such a fun time reading all the guesses in the comments. You should say if someone out of all the comments got it right. If it is not totally obscure, I am sure someone has. There are a lot of great C names though for boys. I have the name Lily picked out for a girl but have NO idea for a boy. Good thing I have a couple more years to think about it. For now I am living vicariously through you as I have severe baby fever :)

Trainer Kjirsten     at 1:35 pm

Congrats on picking a name! What a fun and exciting time! Graham is one of my top boys names, but my hubby has said no to it! I love your idea of only telling your family the first initial. I also love that you guys didn’t let your family and friends influence your decision. My guesses are Caleb, Charlie or Cole! I can’t wait to see what it is come fall!

Louise     at 3:42 pm

We find out on Tuesday what we’re having. We had a girl name picked out almost immediately. We can’t seem to get super excited about any particular boy name, and I have a gut feeling it’s going to be a boy.

Sarah     at 4:45 pm

That’s a wonderful idea and one I may steal if I ever have a child. :)
-Sarah
fitango.com

Rachel Lindner     at 6:54 pm

Awww, love it! Before we found out that we are having a girl, my husband and I easily decided on a girl name (Esther!) but couldn’t ever agree on a boy name. I was so worried that I’d cave and if we had a boy, he’d be Optimus, Sparticus, Hercules, Tron…

Gabrielle     at 8:00 pm

Yeah, I’m going to guess anyway: Charlie! :)

Carly G     at 9:56 pm

My mother-in-law is from Finland and for all three of her kids she handed a list to my Father-in-law to pick from and he picked the names that he could pronounce. lol. Even still, my husband’s name is very weird.He and I talk about names a lot now that we’re trying to get pregnant.It’s so much fun!

Allison     at 11:24 pm

Dear Emily,

Thank you so much for sharing your life through this blog! I sincerely appreciate your posts and love sharing these times with you. I’m from DC and I’m about to move to a new city – although not far – I’m so excited to explore a new place. Anyway, thank you for being so positive. I am so excited for you and the many milestones that lie ahead for you. And, please continue to share your motherhood journey! Warmest wishes and best of luck!

Take care.

Thanks Allison!

Leanne     at 11:42 pm

Picking a name for our daughter was harder than I thought it would be. Middle name is a family name so that was a no brainer but we had a hard time picking the first name. Wwe went from a list of about 50 and had it narrowed to about 5 by the time she was born. Our neighbor said, ok.. if you don’t pick a name then I will just call her Lola until you do :-) We wanted to see her before we named her and so after about a day we finally settled on Carys. I still love it and it fits her perfectly. Can’t wait to find out what your “C” is :-)

Liz A Reply:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard that name before – is it pronounced “Cariss” or Careese”?

Leanne Reply:

Its pronounced Cariss. Its Welsh… this was actually another debate because my husband is part Greek and there is a Greek spelling (Karis) My Mother’s side of the family is Welsh so we just had to pick one :-)

Ananda     at 9:00 am

I think picking a baby name would be like buying a wedding dress: you fall in love with one but then people give their opinions and it spoils it. Whereas, if you had just revealed it at the time ‘this is it!’ they’re so excited they will love it with you!
I suspect Caleb or Casey

Beth     at 10:17 am

Jeff and I were exactly the same, we could not agree on a girl name for a while, but when we finally both agreed on Olivia that was it and we love it! I don’t think I could keep the name a secret….you guys are strong! I just love talking about her by name with everyone :)

Can’t wait to see Baby C and meet our Baby Liv! Only a few months left and summer months always go so fast, it will be here before we know it! Enjoy these last months of being pregnant :)

Our babies need to be friends!! I love the name Olivia. If we have a girl eventually, Olive is at the top of my girl list!

Liz A Reply:

I LOVE Olive!

(those are anagrams! hah!)

Liz A     at 11:07 am

I just got married last weekend, but my husband and I have already had the baby name discussion a few times since we started dating. We both have a few names we really like but haven’t done any serious consideration, since there is no baby to speak of yet.

The only thing I think I will absolutely not budge on when the time comes, is the way the name flows. It sort of bugs me when a first name ends on a vowel sound, and then the last name starts with the same vowel sound (for example: Amanda Adams). It just sounds weird to me… like you sort of have to pause in between to make sure you say it right, otherwise it runs together like one word. I guess it’s because I’m a first grade teacher and I spend a lot of time thinking and talking about phonics. :)

Anyway, since our last name starts with the short A sound, I will probably insist that the first name ends with a consonant or a Y.

So there’s my weird hang-up. Something to think about.

Liz A Reply:

oh, and I forgot to add that I have had this one particular girl’s name that I have liked since I was in high school, and I try not to tell many people about it. I’m terrified that one of my good friends or relatives will have a baby and name it that before I have the chance!

I think that was actually a big part of what Casey didn’t like about Graham – the way it flows with Malone. He said it sounded too much like Grahamalone, which I can sort of see. But I still loved it. :)

Liz A Reply:

exactly! :)

And congrats on your wedding – how exciting!!

Liz A Reply:

thank you! we were engaged for over two years so when it finally came time to actually get married, I couldn’t believe it was really happening. I saw your wedding post not too long before our day and it got me really excited – so thanks! I’ve been reading your blog for a month or so now, and it’s nice to actually “speak” to you, haha.

I also love your posts about Seattle because one of my best friends moved out there for grad school 3 years ago and never looked back (she’s from RI and I’m in NH). I’ve been dying to get out there to visit her!

Come visit both of us!

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions     at 4:57 pm

My parents had one heck of a time naming me. My dad had been teaching for years and years before I was born, so he had plenty of names with bad associations that he couldn’t name me haha. I think for me disassociating names with individuals depends on how many people with that name I’ve known. I know too many Isabella’s to associate that name with one particular person, but I only know one Ava, so she’s immediately who I think of when I hear that name. Congrats on reaching a name conclusion, though! So exciting!!

alyssa     at 7:44 am

i hope it’s cavin!

Karen     at 1:16 pm

Pleeease, Not Cameron! Way overdone!

sheila     at 1:33 pm

I am going to guess Charles, just because that is my son’s name.

Catherine     at 9:11 pm

The first name that popped into my head was Charlie, so that’s my guess! :) Re: the middle name – have you considered two? I’m a big fan of British multiple middle names. I know it’s a little much for some people, but I think it’s a great tradition. LOVE your blog!

Melanie @ Trial By Trail     at 12:12 am

We had a great time meeting you, Casey and Sarah tonight! I just had to scroll through the comments to search for the C names. I don’t know why, but Caden keeps coming to my mind. Hmmmmm….

Sarah D.     at 10:47 am

My guess is Connor. :)

Julie     at 9:18 am

i know you’re not entertaining guesses…but i want to guess anyway! i’m going with caleb or chase. :)

Showered With Love. | Daily Garnish     at 8:22 am

[...] for so many years to come.  All of my friends and family went above and beyond to make me and Baby C feel so special and [...]

Seattle By Sea. | Daily Garnish     at 6:01 pm

[...] Baby C enjoyed his first boat ride.  He has been hanging out on my right side a lot these days – [...]

Raychel     at 6:54 pm

I was going to guess Callum too! But since you’ve never heard it I bet it’s not the name! It’s my favorite boy name. I’m hoping it will still stay unpopular here in the US so when I have kids his name will be unique :)

Early Labor. | Daily Garnish     at 11:27 am

[...] out that Baby C is more like his mom and dad than I ever could have realized.  All it took was getting an [...]

Christie F     at 8:21 am

We were going to name our baby Corben, after Korben Dallas- Bruce Willis’ character in Fifth Element. But we decided not to. We still love Corben though, so that’s my guess!

Lara     at 1:39 pm

Just read this post…so funny…we’re not naming our little guy for certain until we meet him, but (I feel ok writing this here since my family and friends are unlikely to read it!), Graham is a top contender, as it is Matthew’s middle name and we both love it :)

I still love Graham. :)

バックパック アウトレット     at 9:33 pm

An impressive share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a
coworker who had been conducting a little research on this.
And he actually ordered me breakfast due to the fact that I discovered it for him…

lol. So allow me to reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!!
But yeah, thanks for spending the time to discuss this matter here on your internet site.

How The Nursery Dresser Became A Bookshelf - Honest to Nod     at 6:28 am

[...] pretty sure anything hung by me would end up being ripped straight off the shelf the first time Baby C tried to use them to pull himself up to [...]