Creamy Basil Hummus.

Why do I always wait until I am starving to go to the grocery store?  Inevitably, every time I start making strange impulse purchases because all I can think about is eating immediately.  True story – the last time Sarah and I went together, I bought a two-liter of light lemonade and chugged half of it in the parking garage.  Who does that?

Don’t answer that.

I am always tempted by prepared foods because for some reason in the moment, it always just seems easier.  And then I remember that I have a pantry that could sustain us for 6 months waiting back at home, and there is absolutely no reason I can’t “prepare” the foods in my own kitchen.  One of my frequent temptations is store bought hummus, which is particularly ridiculous because it’s so darn easy to make.

Yesterday afternoon we did the post-vacation-restock-the-fridge shopping trip to Trader Joe’s, where I successfully passed up all the $3.99 tubs of creamy flavored hummus, and grabbed a can of $0.89 garbanzo beans instead.  This one was definitely worth making myself.

Creamy Basil Hummus

Print this recipe!

Ingredients:  (makes ~2 cups)

• 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup basil leaves
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp tahini (sesame paste)
  • 1 tbsp water
  • pinch of salt (to taste)

Instructions:  The great thing about making hummus at home is that I almost always have all of the ingredients on hand.

My basil plant was looking a little sad after a week of getting no attention while we were in South Carolina, so I figured I’d do some pruning upon our arrival back home.

Roughly one cup loose leaves.

Get started by tossing chickpeas into a food processor

And adding the basil on top.  Pulse to combine until chopped.

Add lemon juice, water, olive oil, tahini, and salt.  Continue to run the food processor (stopping to scrape down sides every once in a while) until the hummus is smooth and creamy.

Easy as that.

I used a modified version of the base recipe that I made for O Magazine last month, and thought that adding basil might spruce things up just a little bit as I cling on to our last month of summer.  Or first month of summer if you live in Seattle.

This hummus is delicious as a dipper or a spread.  There’s just enough basil to give a great herby flavor without being overwhelming.

Generously smeared across crusty toasted sourdough and topped with sliced cucumbers.  Highly recommended!

However you choose to use it, I hope this finds its way into your kitchen while the basil is fresh and the cucumbers are crunchy.

Enjoy!

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks     at 7:13 pm

This looks delicious, Miz Malone! I make a cilantro hummus that’s similar — fresh herbs really jazz up bean dips! I’m a sucker for impulse buys too when it comes to prepared foods, but then I get the product home and it’s not half as good as what I’d make myself. I bought some lentil dip at Trader Joe’s a couple weeks ago and never got to the bottom of the container before it went off, whereas I’m always bound to finish every last drop of homemade hummus. Lesson learned!

I’ve had that lentil dip too. I agree, not as good as it sounds.

suki     at 7:14 pm

:) We usually go shopping after dinner so that we don’t fall under that pressure. A hungry stomach is a motivator for impulse buys.

Laura @ Special Treats     at 7:16 pm

Yum! This looks delicious and refreshing. I have tons of basil, so will be making this soon.

I just discovered your blog and am loving it! :)

Welcome to the blog – so glad you found it!

Noelle @Opera Singer in the Kitchen     at 7:16 pm

There is indeed nothing like homemade hummus, even better when using FRESH chickpeas. You should try it. It comes out creamier. I always forget to take snacks with me when I go to the store or anywhere and then I have to ask for crackers. Shame shame on me.

Yum!! That definitely takes a lot of patience to peel each one though.

Army Amy*     at 7:22 pm

I would love to make my own hummus, but I only have a blender, not a food processor. Is the food processor a must? And do you have any recommendations for good brands?*

If you click the link on “food processor” it takes you to the one that I have – Cuisinart! Worth a shot in the blender, but probably depends on what type you have.

Army Amy* Reply:

Thanks, Emily!*

lee Reply:

I was just about to ask the same thing! I think a food processor is going to be on my Christmas list this year…but until then, I’m definitely going to try the hummus recipe in my blender.

jessica     at 7:24 pm

i *loved* lemonade when i was pregnant. perhaps it’s just your cravings that allow you to do such chugging. :)
have tried 2 of your recipes thus far – they have been huge hits in our family (garbanzo, mint salad with raisins and the strawberry pesto), thank you.
we’ll have to try this one. our homemade-hummus could use a little basil!

Glad they have been hits!

Megan     at 7:25 pm

Can you make the hummus in a blender? I want to try this in my apartment, but I don’t have a food processor!

Probably depends on the blender – worth a try!

Krystina     at 7:26 pm

What a beautiful color!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 7:27 pm

Yum! I love anything with basil, sounds great!

Blog is the New Black     at 7:29 pm

Never had basil in hummus- LOVE this idea!

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 7:34 pm

Where do you store tahini? I have one a couple of years old and was told it didn’t need refrigeration… not sure if it’s still good.

I store mine in the fridge!

Lisa Reply:

How long is it good for? I was wondering this myself!

Chase     at 7:37 pm

Super yum! Do you ever peel your chick peas before making them into hummus? I hear it makes it creamier, but I’ve never been patient enough to try!

I have heard that too, but I don’t have the patience for it! Congrats on the wedding date BTW – SO exciting!!

Chase Reply:

Thank youuuu! :)

Ally @ A Girl In Her Kitchen     at 7:38 pm

This looks so refreshing! I feel like I can’t eat enough cucumber right now with this heat! 90s in Chicago :( I picked up a new jar of tahini the other day so I plan to make this!

Sara     at 7:41 pm

So nice to hear that even a talented chef and inspirational person like you is sometimes tempted to go the pre-made lazy route for grocery food. Thanks for a delicious-looking new recipe to try!

Haha yes, DEFINITELY!

Candy (Healthy In Candy Land)     at 7:47 pm

I do the same thing with hummus every time I go grocery shopping! I don’t know why the thought of having to clean the food processor is such a big deal. It’s not, really! And home made hummus is so good! I will be trying your recipe!

I feel your pain. I just finally cleaned mine after letting it sit on the counter for four hours. :)

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 7:51 pm

I’ve attempted to make hummus at home, but there is an Arabic women from our church who makes some mean hummus, so mine never compares to hers.

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 8:13 pm

oooh, i’ve never tried hummus at home so i’ll have to test out your recipe. it looks so easy!

Shayla @ The Good Life     at 8:20 pm

Yum this looks delish! I always succumb to buying store bought hummus and have always wanted to try to make my own since it always looks delicious and easy to make. I just bought a can of TJ’s garbanzo beans and now I know what to do with it!

Where can I find the tahini/sesame paste?

Whole Foods!

Shayla @ The Good Life Reply:

Awesome! Thanks Emily!

Kerr     at 8:24 pm

this looks great! I am a sucker for the store bought hummus even though I know I should make it at home. I am going to use this as my first attempt. thanks!

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)     at 8:25 pm

Looks great! I will definitely be bookmarking this one.

Kris | iheartwellness.com     at 8:38 pm

Girl, this is the first time I have been over here!! Love your blog!!

This hummus looks super FAB and I can’t wait to try this on top of crackers and a salad…I’m drooling already!
xxoo

Welcome! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 8:43 pm

That looks so so soooo creamy! I can never get homemade hummus that creamy! Did you peel the chickpeas?

Nope, just let it process for a long time and keep scraping down the sides! Patience. :)

Audrey     at 8:46 pm

Yum! I’m definitely planning on making this with the basil from our garden. Thanks for the great idea. :)

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups     at 8:52 pm

Homemade hummus just takes my addiction one step further in the hopes that one day I can just drink it straight. I love hummus!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 9:07 pm

The white bean basil hummus from TJs is my favorite. I imagine this tastes just as wonderful.

ally@girlVfood     at 9:10 pm

I’ve never seen that version of tahini before! I’ve been using the kind in the orange and brown bottle. I’ve been doing like Heather Eats Almond Butter and smearing it on my baked potatoes. But I should try to make hummus, I eat enough of it! :)

ashley rebekah     at 9:18 pm

oh, holy, YUM! looks fabulous… since it’s 8pm and i haven’t had dinner yet, AND i have everything in my pantry for this, i better hop to it.

Katherine     at 9:28 pm

I want this, so badly!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 9:38 pm

I definitely grab TJ’s hummus all the time, not sure why I don’t just make a batch at the beginning of the week instead!

Nicole @ Yuppie Yogini     at 9:39 pm

Wow! We’re on the same wavelength! I’ve been meaning to make hummus for weeks, but have lazily continued to get TJs pre-made. Tonight I finally got my act together and made a huge container….and it’s so much better than store bought!

Jess @JessCantCook     at 9:51 pm

This looks great, I’ve never made my own hummus before and I happen to have just planted some basil, might have to add this to next weekend’s menu!

Jenny     at 10:20 pm

So funny! Check out my lunch today on my blog. My husband made hummus and I made an open sandwich with cucumber (and another with tomato).

Tammy     at 10:41 pm

This look so simple and delish! I am always tempted by prepared foods too and have to “talk myself down”. I will be making this soon!

sachi     at 11:12 pm

heh there,
I know that this post isn’t about tofu, but I thought that you might like ot know about this amazingly yummy tofu place in Seattle. There is a wonderful place, called I think, Than Tofu. It is on 12th Avenue few blocks from Jackson. So if you are driving toward Seattle U/Broadway from Jackson, the Tofu shop is on the right hand side of the street right next to an Ethiopian restaurant. It looks run down, but the tofu is truly so great. They make it fresh everyday (closed Tuesdays). Better yet, instead of having the steaming hot blocks wrapped in Saran wrap, you can bring your own container and have them put the hot blocks of tofu directly in the box (it need a water tight lid though, because these tofu have water coming. out of them still). The place is completely packed all day on the weekends, and they supply a lot of the tofu that people get in restuarantsaround the city. The tofu is also made with non gmo soy beans, so that is another plus. Oh yea, last thing, the tofu is only 1.25 for a very genera
us block. I really hope that you’ll try it. I think that you’ll be impressed! They sell this tofu and their tofu pudding down at Uwjimaya, but the stuff fresh from. the shop, is so much better.
O.k. one last thing. Have you checked out Seward Park… ?the trails, the play ground. It is fantastic, worth the drive South! And for a runner, the Lake Washington blvd. on the way there is so truly beautiful in August.
My Best,
Sachi

sachi Reply:

I’m sorry about all these typos. I find typing on an I pad not that easy.
– Sachi

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine     at 11:40 pm

Looks delicious. :) Hummus is a weakness of mine–but I have yet to make a batch myself that tastes as good as storebought! Do you pop the chickpeas out of their skin before putting them in the food processor? Mine always seems to have kind of a weird texture–maybe b/c I don’t do that?

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine     at 12:42 am

I just made “pesto” hummus earlier this week too! Great minds think alike, eh? :)

allison     at 5:24 am

Basil hummus is the best!! My roommate started making it last summer and i make it all the time!

Oh and i have downed multiple bottles of lemonade all by myself…on many occasions:):)

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me     at 6:54 am

haha going to the grocery store hungry is always dangerous!

Dorsa     at 9:25 am

That looks so good, I didn’t realize making Hummus was so easy! Thanks for sharing :)

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves     at 9:51 am

I’ve been looking for a healthy snack to bring to my book club tonight and I think I just found it! Thanks so much for sharing! I have fresh basil, also. I think I’ll make a little veggie tray with garden fresh cucumbers, squash, and cherry tomatoes as dippers.

Angela (Oh She Glows)     at 9:59 am

Mmm this is such a great idea!!! Can’t wait to try it out.

Brooke @ BittersweetBrooke     at 10:10 am

I love Trader Joe’s Hummus too! My favorite is the 3 layer hummus with garlic, roasted red pepper and cliantro hummus. Heaven. But I would love to make some of my own seeing how easy it is. I will definitely be making this seeing as my garden is overflowing with basil!

Emily     at 10:19 am

This looks so yummy Emily! I have all those ingredients, too, including a huge basil plant that needs to be used. Can’t wait to try it :)

Amy     at 10:21 am

Is there really no garlic in this recipe? I don’t know if I’ve even had a garlic-less hummus.

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 10:35 am

I have to try this recipe because it looks so creamy! I have trouble getting mine to the consistency I prefer.

Cathy     at 10:39 am

This is brilliant! I love hummus and we have more basil in our garden then I know what to do with. We also have a gazillion zucchini that I can use for dipping.

Jess     at 10:41 am

what a great and easy recipe! I am now embarrassed to admit that I bought some garlic hummus from Trader Joe’s last night … next time I will definitely make it myself!

www.theevolvinghomemaker.com     at 11:25 am

awesome. i am on a 21 day vegan cleanse, so this is going to come in handy!

jen

Kat     at 11:32 am

the lemonade? It must be a pregnancy thing. because I did it. Only I chugged mine in a hotel lobby :)

Amber K     at 11:54 am

I never seem to take the time to make hummus because peeling all of the chickpeas is a pain in the rear! And I can never get it as smooth and creamy as I want it to be. So storebought hummus is purchased more times than I care to admit ;)

Steph @ Running in the Kitchen     at 11:54 am

This came at the perfect time. I was just writing my grocery list and put hummus on there – it does just seem easier to buy the pre-made stuff – but I’ve been wanting to make my own (have your O Magazine article) and have all the ingredients at home. Thanks for pushing me in the right direction! Can’t wait to try it out tonight.

Theodora     at 11:55 am

Okay, okay, I’ll finally put the cans of chickpeas in my pantry to good use and make my own hummus.

Andrea     at 12:06 pm

I eat the exact same “sandwich” except I make it into a wrap and add feta. Yum!

Gina (Yogattude)     at 12:12 pm

I always succumb to the store-bought hummus…I can never getmy homemade to taste perfect…I’ll have to try out your version!

Meredith     at 1:29 pm

I am addicted to hummus and bought the basil hummus from Trader Joe’s but I returned it. Not that it wasn’t amazing but it had milk in it, and I’m vegan. I would have never thought to look at a hummus label for milk. So I made some along these lines myself! It looks amazing! I’ve heard if you microwave your chickpeas for a couple seconds and then blend them, it makes it light and fluffy, I read above someone was wondering about that!

natalie (the sweets life)     at 1:32 pm

Too funny–I made a similar hummus last week, trying to use up my excess of fresh basil! :)

Speaking of which, I made your strawberry basil pesto pasta salad…swapped zucchini for cucumber, added a can of chickpeas, and drizzled with balsamic when we ate to give it a little more liquid. It’s DELISH!

Rachael     at 1:33 pm

How cool that you are in O Magazine! I can’t shop without buying something to consume right away! It is impossible.

Heather @ girlyeverafter     at 2:06 pm

I can’t remember when I bought hummus last. Once I started making it there was no turning back. I love it with cucumbers too!

laura     at 4:00 pm

I just made this – delicious! I spread some on a bagel thin and made a sandwich with spinach, red onion, and mozzarella. :)

Jennifer     at 4:25 pm

Looks yummy and the timing couldn’t be more perfect. I just picked two cucumbers from the garden and have 12 basil plants that need to be trimmed again. Toast with hummus and cucumbers here I come!

Colleen     at 12:45 pm

I made this yesterday while dinner was cooking – so easy. I’m having it for lunch now w/ tomato and cucumber slices on GH seeded wheat. It is so delicious!

Baking Serendipity     at 2:07 pm

I love making my own hummus…it makes me feel like I’ve tricked the manufacturers of those expensive tubs :) And while I’ve definitely dipped cucumbers in hummus, I’ve never added the toasted sourdough before…sounds like a perfect afternoon snack!

Emily     at 11:52 am

I made this last night, but I couldn’t get the texture right – it’s thick and a little hard. Even after adding extra tahini, olive oil and lemon juice I have more of a paste consistency than a dip. Any suggestions? Flavor is amazing regardless!

bein good to me     at 9:34 pm

I made this this evening and am enjoying it with a pint of cherry tomatoes! :)
Thanks for the simple, easy recipe!
-Lisa

Jenn     at 2:19 pm

I made this hummus last night. the only difference was I used about a quarter of the basil and the flavor was still very nice!
Thanks for this tasty recipe!

christine @ Life's a Lasagna     at 9:31 am

I’ve had this for lunch every day this week. LOL Wasn’t sure I’d like basil in my hummus, but I was wrong. Great idea!

Glad you liked it! :)

Kim     at 3:51 pm

I just bought my very first food processor and this was my first recipe using it! Delicious!

Tammy     at 7:24 pm

I SO wish this had turned out when I made it tonight, but it just really didn’t. :-( Maybe I used too much basil? Perhaps I’ll try it again someday – I’ve had your delicious hummus marked to try for months but mine certainly didn’t hold up to your positive reviews! Oh well! I’ll just go back to your peanut butter chocolate muffins instead :-) (delish!).

Sorry it didn’t turn out!

basil hummus « rachel's blog     at 7:11 pm

[...] four little basil plants are growing like crazy! I recently found a recipe for basil hummus, which sounded great, so this evening I cut a bunch of basil and mixed up a batch for dinner. My [...]

basil hummus | rachel swartley     at 7:31 pm

Hummus: Easy As 1, 2, 3 | Love, Sweat, and Beers     at 2:43 am

[...] Creamy Basil Hummus from Emily [...]

Alexis @ Hummusapien     at 8:31 am

Just made this…I’m obsessed! So creamy and perfectly balanced in flavor! I used fresh basil from the garden and it was absolutely perfect.

atrie krediti interneta     at 9:08 am

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an extremely long comment but after I
clicked submit my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again.
Anyway, just wanted to say great blog!