For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Creamy Basil Hummus.

Why do I always wait until I am starving to go to the grocery store?  Inevitably, every time I start making strange impulse purchases because all I can think about is eating immediately.  True story – the last time Sarah and I went together, I bought a two-liter of light lemonade and chugged half of it in the parking garage.  Who does that?

Don’t answer that.

I am always tempted by prepared foods because for some reason in the moment, it always just seems easier.  And then I remember that I have a pantry that could sustain us for 6 months waiting back at home, and there is absolutely no reason I can’t “prepare” the foods in my own kitchen.  One of my frequent temptations is store bought hummus, which is particularly ridiculous because it’s so darn easy to make.

Yesterday afternoon we did the post-vacation-restock-the-fridge shopping trip to Trader Joe’s, where I successfully passed up all the $3.99 tubs of creamy flavored hummus, and grabbed a can of $0.89 garbanzo beans instead.  This one was definitely worth making myself.

Creamy Basil Hummus

Print this recipe!

Ingredients:  (makes ~2 cups)

• 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup basil leaves
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp tahini (sesame paste)
  • 1 tbsp water
  • pinch of salt (to taste)

Instructions:  The great thing about making hummus at home is that I almost always have all of the ingredients on hand.

My basil plant was looking a little sad after a week of getting no attention while we were in South Carolina, so I figured I’d do some pruning upon our arrival back home.

Roughly one cup loose leaves.

Get started by tossing chickpeas into a food processor

And adding the basil on top.  Pulse to combine until chopped.

Add lemon juice, water, olive oil, tahini, and salt.  Continue to run the food processor (stopping to scrape down sides every once in a while) until the hummus is smooth and creamy.

Easy as that.

I used a modified version of the base recipe that I made for O Magazine last month, and thought that adding basil might spruce things up just a little bit as I cling on to our last month of summer.  Or first month of summer if you live in Seattle.

This hummus is delicious as a dipper or a spread.  There’s just enough basil to give a great herby flavor without being overwhelming.

Generously smeared across crusty toasted sourdough and topped with sliced cucumbers.  Highly recommended!

However you choose to use it, I hope this finds its way into your kitchen while the basil is fresh and the cucumbers are crunchy.

Enjoy!

Steph @ Running in the Kitchen     at 11:54 am

This came at the perfect time. I was just writing my grocery list and put hummus on there – it does just seem easier to buy the pre-made stuff – but I’ve been wanting to make my own (have your O Magazine article) and have all the ingredients at home. Thanks for pushing me in the right direction! Can’t wait to try it out tonight.

Theodora     at 11:55 am

Okay, okay, I’ll finally put the cans of chickpeas in my pantry to good use and make my own hummus.

Andrea     at 12:06 pm

I eat the exact same “sandwich” except I make it into a wrap and add feta. Yum!

Gina (Yogattude)     at 12:12 pm

I always succumb to the store-bought hummus…I can never getmy homemade to taste perfect…I’ll have to try out your version!

Meredith     at 1:29 pm

I am addicted to hummus and bought the basil hummus from Trader Joe’s but I returned it. Not that it wasn’t amazing but it had milk in it, and I’m vegan. I would have never thought to look at a hummus label for milk. So I made some along these lines myself! It looks amazing! I’ve heard if you microwave your chickpeas for a couple seconds and then blend them, it makes it light and fluffy, I read above someone was wondering about that!

natalie (the sweets life)     at 1:32 pm

Too funny–I made a similar hummus last week, trying to use up my excess of fresh basil! :)

Speaking of which, I made your strawberry basil pesto pasta salad…swapped zucchini for cucumber, added a can of chickpeas, and drizzled with balsamic when we ate to give it a little more liquid. It’s DELISH!

Rachael     at 1:33 pm

How cool that you are in O Magazine! I can’t shop without buying something to consume right away! It is impossible.

Heather @ girlyeverafter     at 2:06 pm

I can’t remember when I bought hummus last. Once I started making it there was no turning back. I love it with cucumbers too!

laura     at 4:00 pm

I just made this – delicious! I spread some on a bagel thin and made a sandwich with spinach, red onion, and mozzarella. :)

Jennifer     at 4:25 pm

Looks yummy and the timing couldn’t be more perfect. I just picked two cucumbers from the garden and have 12 basil plants that need to be trimmed again. Toast with hummus and cucumbers here I come!

Colleen     at 12:45 pm

I made this yesterday while dinner was cooking – so easy. I’m having it for lunch now w/ tomato and cucumber slices on GH seeded wheat. It is so delicious!

Baking Serendipity     at 2:07 pm

I love making my own hummus…it makes me feel like I’ve tricked the manufacturers of those expensive tubs :) And while I’ve definitely dipped cucumbers in hummus, I’ve never added the toasted sourdough before…sounds like a perfect afternoon snack!

Emily     at 11:52 am

I made this last night, but I couldn’t get the texture right – it’s thick and a little hard. Even after adding extra tahini, olive oil and lemon juice I have more of a paste consistency than a dip. Any suggestions? Flavor is amazing regardless!

bein good to me     at 9:34 pm

I made this this evening and am enjoying it with a pint of cherry tomatoes! :)
Thanks for the simple, easy recipe!
-Lisa

Jenn     at 2:19 pm

I made this hummus last night. the only difference was I used about a quarter of the basil and the flavor was still very nice!
Thanks for this tasty recipe!

christine @ Life's a Lasagna     at 9:31 am

I’ve had this for lunch every day this week. LOL Wasn’t sure I’d like basil in my hummus, but I was wrong. Great idea!

Glad you liked it! :)

Kim     at 3:51 pm

I just bought my very first food processor and this was my first recipe using it! Delicious!

Tammy     at 7:24 pm

I SO wish this had turned out when I made it tonight, but it just really didn’t. :-( Maybe I used too much basil? Perhaps I’ll try it again someday – I’ve had your delicious hummus marked to try for months but mine certainly didn’t hold up to your positive reviews! Oh well! I’ll just go back to your peanut butter chocolate muffins instead :-) (delish!).

Sorry it didn’t turn out!

basil hummus « rachel's blog     at 7:11 pm

[…] four little basil plants are growing like crazy! I recently found a recipe for basil hummus, which sounded great, so this evening I cut a bunch of basil and mixed up a batch for dinner. My […]

basil hummus | rachel swartley     at 7:31 pm

Hummus: Easy As 1, 2, 3 | Love, Sweat, and Beers     at 2:43 am

[…] Creamy Basil Hummus from Emily […]

Alexis @ Hummusapien     at 8:31 am

Just made this…I’m obsessed! So creamy and perfectly balanced in flavor! I used fresh basil from the garden and it was absolutely perfect.

atrie krediti interneta     at 9:08 am

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an extremely long comment but after I
clicked submit my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again.
Anyway, just wanted to say great blog!

running shoes