For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Listening To My Body.

At my wise old age of 30, I have learned that in life there are many different types of relationships.  I am a wife, a sister, a daughter, and I’m working on becoming a mother.  Each of these relationships is completely different, none necessarily more important than the other.

Recently I’ve realized that there is another relationship in my life that, until now, I haven’t consciously paid much attention to – my relationship with my body.

Every type of relationship functions on communication and conversation, and whether we realize it or not, this one is no different.

Over the last few years that I have been a runner, I have asked my body to do things that at one point I never thought it could do.  I trained, I fueled, and I prepared.  I asked it to allow me to run in extreme cold and in grueling summer heat.  And it listened.

IMAG0013 (421x640)

And on multiple occasions, I have asked it to carry me very long distances – sometimes 26.2 miles at a time – and each time, it has listened.

And just as any conversation should involve equal give and take, sometimes my body lets me know when it has had enough.  And to return the favor of carrying me those long miles, I listen.

When running alone wasn’t enough anymore, and I decided to start incorporate heavy strength training, I asked my body to go further.  I worked until my body shook, and I pushed myself to new limits.  My body responded with muscles and tone that I had only ever seen on others, but never in my own mirror.

IMG_1299_thumb[1]

A few years later, I told my body I was ready to have a baby.  But all I heard was silence.  Loud and deafening silence.

I was frustrated and confused.  Everything I had asked to do before had been answered.  I slowly and hesitantly let go of the urge to control, and decided to give my body the time it needed to learn how to deal with my latest request.

And then one day, when it was ready, it responded

And overnight, the conversation shifted.  For years I have worked and pushed myself to new limits – physically, mentally, and emotionally.  I have always been the one in charge.

But my body talks to me now.  Take a nap.  Take a break.  Eat a snack.

I am tired, my back hurts, and I barely even recognize myself.  But this is all just part of the conversation.  It is my body’s way of talking to me and preparing me for something that once again, at one point I never thought I would be able to do.

It has been refreshing to take a step back and be the listener instead of the leader.

Many times before, I have worked hard to prepare myself for big events – races, marathons, and new personal records.  This time my body is preparing me for the biggest event of all.  And just as I have done before, I am training, fueling, and preparing.

IMG_2035 (426x640)

But most importantly, I am listening.

jessica z     at 11:16 am

beautifully written.

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 11:16 am

Awesome post! I love it :) You are such an amazing woman and you are going to be an amazing Mommy too!! XOXO

Jesse     at 11:30 am

thanks for this post, i’ve been struggling with the weight gain aspect of pregnancy a lot lately. i know it needs to happen and means the baby is growing, but it’s a tough thing to deal with when you’ve had body images issue in your past.

I know how you feel. I promise it gets better toward the end when you realize that your body is doing something totally AWESOME!

Jesse Reply:

YES! we have our anatomy scan ultrasound on friday and i can’t wait:)

Lauren W.     at 11:31 am

What an absolutely beautiful post. I know I’m echoing most comments when I say that, but it’s all I could think while reading it.

Ali @ Around the VeggieTable     at 12:05 pm

That was awesome. You are such an inspiration :)

Jane     at 12:13 pm

Of all the blog posts you have made, and yes, shared your wisdom and heartfelt feelings this is the one that made me cry. It is wise of you to listen to your body and realize that we do/should have a give and take relationship with our bodies. So many of us have a hard time understanding that. You are an inspiration and for that reason I feel that even though I don’t actually know you, you will be an excellent mother.

Thank you so much, Jane!

Emily     at 12:16 pm

This post made me tear up.

What beautiful words at such a special time. Thank you.

ColleenS     at 2:11 pm

LOL, love Casey’s comment on Baby C’s size. It is truly amazing what can fit in there. Huey and Indy can definitely sense something is going on with you and can probably sense the baby. Nothing wrong with delivering 1.5 weeks early – my two boys were 14 and 11 days early and given their size, 8lbs 9 ozs and 9lbs and 3 ozs, I didn’t complain. My lab was so aware during my first and second pregnancies (she past away before the third). She was so eager to see the babies when they came home and she wouldn’t leave their sides. I have the best photo of her laying her head on my lap while I was breastfeeding my oldest son. I tear up just thinking about it.

ColleenS Reply:

sorry – this was suppose to go under your Week 33 post….been a long day.

Leanne     at 2:18 pm

Hello! I’m usually not a commenter but I just had to tell you that I loved this post, namely because I related so much to how you are feeling. I’ve put my body through alot of bad and good and it was a wonderful experience finally listening to my body instead of asking it to do things.

Enjoy your last stretch of pregnancy, before you know it your little one will be here. It is such an amazing journey!

Jeanna     at 5:31 pm

Emily-

This is my favorite post you’ve ever written!

Lindsey     at 1:55 pm

I have been a reader of yours for a while but this is my first comment because reading this is truely very inspiring and it literally brought a tear to my eye. I wish your Husband, you and Baby C the best of luck in everything your lives bring you all.

Renee B     at 1:07 am

Lovely post. You have a way of writing with so much emotion and have a gift of being able to articulate it.

Thanks Renee!

Labor Day Link Love | Love, Sweat, and Beers     at 6:02 am

[…] Daily Garnish recently published a beautiful post I really recommend you read. […]

Corey @ Learning Patience     at 10:03 am

I love this post! Kudos! Good Luck on the baby..it sounds like you are ready!

xoxo from Trinidad

Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com)     at 5:41 pm

What an Amazing post!!!! WOW!

Becca     at 1:16 pm

This was a great post – so happy to come across it today

running shoes