For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

My First Prenatal Yoga Class.

This weekend I finally went and did something that I have been saying I would do ever since me moved to Seattle almost three months ago.

I dug out my dusty yoga mat and towel, put on a brave face, and headed to my first prenatal yoga class!

Back when I lived in Charlotte, yoga was a huge part of my life.  At one point I was going to the studio every day, and I loved the energy and calmness that it gave me each morning.  Yoga is the only form of exercise I’ve found that leaves me feeling both completely exhausted, and yet peacefully relaxed at the same time.

When we moved to Alexandria, I searched for local yoga studios but never found anything I really liked.  It’s hard for me to believe it, but when I walked through the door of the studio here in Seattle, I was heading back to yoga for the first time in almost a year!

I had hoped to do yoga through my entire pregnancy, but for some reason I had a hard time figuring where to go and what type of class to take.  The type of yoga I preferred in Charlotte was hot vinyasa, but I knew that a heated class was mostly likely not the safest option for my little one.  After a bit of Googling and asking around for recommendations, I decided to sign up for an 8-week prenatal series at 8 Limbs Yoga.

8 limbs

Prenatal classes:  Practice the art of relaxation through breath awareness, reduce physical tension, and safely prepare for labor.

Prior to attending the class, I had this idea in my head that I didn’t want to try prenatal yoga because it would be all stretching and breathing, but not really a good workout.  Maybe that’s why I waited until my 3rd trimester to give it a chance.  I am so glad that I pushed my silly misconception aside because, while there was plenty of stretching and breathing, I also found that it was exactly what I needed.

I got to my class early and was the first one there, which instantly made me nervous that no one else would show up.  One-on-one instruction was not exactly what I’d had in mind.  But before long, the doors opened and there were other expecting moms with bellies of all different shapes and sizes rolling out their mats beside me.

I know this sounds ridiculous but there is something really calming and energizing about being surrounded by other pregnant women.  Pregnancy can cause such a wide range of emotions and feelings, and being around other people that understand that completely feels very very comforting.

We started our class with brief introductions that included how many weeks along we were, and what we were hoping to gain from our practice that day.  At 29 weeks, I was on the bigger end of the belly scale in the room, but one woman there was still going strong at 38+ weeks.  I hope I will be able to do the same!

Our ninety minutes involved some deep holds that our instructor compared to contractions.  As we’d enter each pose, she’d talk us through the “contraction,” tell us to focus on one point, and then allow us to relax with relief as each pose ended.  We also worked on hip opening stretches that felt absolutely wonderful.  By the end I felt shaky, stretched, relaxed, and renewed.  Everything that yoga should deliver.

I am relatively codependent, and have always hated trying new things by myself.  I am so glad I got over that fear and decided to give yoga a chance in my new city.  I am already looking forward to my next class and am exploring other studios and options so that I can do as much yoga as possible over the next 10 weeks.

Now why the heck did that take me so long?

Namaste.

For other pregnancy-related posts, check out this week’s Babble!

Madeline @ Food, Fitness & Family     at 10:53 pm

So glad you liked your class!

I still go to yoga 2-3 times per week at 30 weeks and love it. I am not doing a pre-natal class but I obviously modify poses as needed.

Good for you for going :)

Kristen, Sweetly     at 11:07 pm

Yay for getting back into it! As much as I know my body and mind love it and how it makes me feel, when I take a break from yoga, I always end up waiting way too long to get back to it… Glad Seattle has something for you and the baby. :-)

Nicole     at 12:14 am

I love the term codependent. I use it all the time. :)

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine     at 12:21 am

Just finished a hot vinyasa class today! Twas wonderful, and I can’t wait to try prenatal yoga when pregnant ;)

Jumanah (Healthy Living in the Middle East)     at 4:04 am

I really wish I had taken such a class during my pregnancy! I’m sure you will really enjoy it!

Ruth     at 6:29 am

ITs so great that you’ve found yoga again! I started about a year ago following an injury that left me unable to run and do circuits etc, and I haven’t given it up despite being able to do all those things again. It’s now hard to fit everything in, but the yoga is one of the definite regulars in my schedule.

Kim@ Flora Design     at 11:11 am

I did the same thing. I was in LOVE with a studio in FL, but when I moved to Chicago it took me over a year to find a good studio in the suburbs. Now I go 2 -3 times a week. soooo glad I got back into it! you look amazing!

Good for you for finding a great class to enjoy. I’m really scared of trying classes at my gym because I’m always afraid that people have “their” spots and I wouldn’t want to jump in there and squeeze my way in. (the fitness room at my gym is quite tiny!)

fittingbackin     at 3:16 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed it! I love the idea of prenatal yoga!

allpointswhole     at 3:47 pm

Way to conquer that codependency and get out there! Prenatal Yoga is awesome!

Elizabeth     at 4:31 pm

Wow! Awesome!! Can’t wait to see the things you cook up in the kitchen for your little one!!!! Best wishes!!!!

Chelsey @ Chew with Your Mouth Open     at 1:26 am

Good for you! I too love yoga, it is so cleansing. Glad you found a studio you enjoy!

Jen     at 3:03 pm

I am the same way with trying new things, but once it’s said and done, I’m really glad I went!

Lauren @ vegology     at 4:50 pm

Congrats, I’m so glad it worked out for you. I haven’t been to yoga in a little over a month and I miss that feeling too. My boyfriend Kyle recently expressed an interest in starting to practice and I think that’s the kickstart I needed to go back to class again. I’m really looking forward to it!

Leah     at 10:18 am

Hooray for jumping back into yoga at a time when you REALLY need it. :)

Katy     at 10:28 am

did you see this? thought of you instantly! http://www.npr.org/2011/08/08/139033757/babys-palate-and-food-memories-shaped-before-birth

Danielle S.     at 1:30 pm

I started going to prenatal classes last week (i’m 14 weeks along). Like you, I found the community of all the other pregnant women really great. There was one woman there a day past her due date! I was super impressed :) Hope you enjoy your classes as much as I look forward to continuing mine through the rest of the pregnancy!

suki     at 4:10 pm

love that you pushed aside your own misconception to do this. i guess this is why there is pre-natal yoga to begin with… oh, and massage! :P pre-natal massage!

alex     at 2:00 pm

we have that exact same Seattle print that you have! :) I love it!
good for you..yoga is awesome and I hope to continue doing it when I get pregnant!

My 55 Hour Labor: Part Three | Being Pregnant     at 4:17 pm

[…] hear Mia, Bonnie, and Casey talking but I felt like I was ten feet away.  I thought about my prenatal yoga classes, and everything I had read and learned about focusing energy and finding […]

Katie O     at 2:14 pm

I just started reading your blog and This post jumped out at me! I’m in my 2nd trimester and I’ve found that there is nothing quite so beautiful and amazing as Prenatal Yoga! I LOVE it. I wish all my yoga classes were like it! and the total beauty, energy and calm mix from a group of Pregnant women? AMAZING.

Making Time For Postpartum Fitness | Babys First Year Blog     at 6:57 pm

[…] a bit.  Now that we’re in Seattle, there is a yoga studio on practically every corner.  I did prenatal yoga classes during my pregnancy, but I’ve been itching to get back into the more intense, heated […]

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » 2nd Pregnancy: Six Months Pregnant! (Weeks 21-24)     at 3:46 pm

[…] weeks ago I went to my first prenatal yoga class, which felt wonderful.  I really enjoyed my yoga classes last time, and I promised […]

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Friday.     at 3:31 pm

[…] My current weekly workout schedule includes three Barre3 classes a week, as well as one prenatal yoga class.  I took a short break from studio classes while we moved, and it ended up stretching […]

running shoes