Pregnant in the Weight Room.

Whenever I get emails from readers or friends wanting to know more about how I got into better shape, built muscle, got faster as a runner, etc. – I always point to one thing.  Strength training

IMG_2965_thumb[1]

I can’t emphasize enough how important I think strength training is to having an overall toned build and healthy body.  Whether your goal is general fitness, increasing speed as a runner, or losing weight, strength training is the most effective way to build lean muscle and give your body shape.

I’ve also talked a lot about how important I think it is to lift heavier weights.  Obviously weight lifting needs to be done safely and correctly in order to be effective, but too often I see and hear women who are afraid of “bulking up” if they lift heavier weights.  I assure you, the only bulk you will gain from upping your weights will be rock solid arms and a huge confidence boost.

Working out while pregnant has forced me to think about my strength training in new ways.  Pre-pregnancy I would choose the weights and exercises that really pushed me to my limits.  My goal was always to completely burn out by the last set, so that I knew my muscles had been worked to their max for the day.  In order to be effective, it is supposed to be difficult!

But working out while pregnant is totally different…

2011-08-02 15.03.45 (478x640)

I have to be careful to not push myself too far, and always make sure to stop when I can feel my body straining too hard or tiring too quickly.  The goal now is not to make it difficult, but rather just to keep my muscles engaged and body moving.  While I have significantly reduced the weight I lift for each exercise, I’m still lifting enough that it’s keeping my muscles toned and my body healthy.

I’ve talked to my midwives about my workouts and have been assured that, as with all pregnancy exercise, because it’s something I was doing regularly before, my body is conditioned to continue to do it while pregnant (at a less intense level).

I have also had to pick and choose the exercises that I do now based on what my new body can handle.  Obviously anything that involves lying face down is out of the question, and I also make sure to avoid doing anything flat on my back.  I usually stick to upper body and leg exercises that feel the most comfortable.

I do a mix of free weights and guided machines to work different muscle groups, and I try to make it to the gym three times each week.  To give you an idea of what my pregnancy strength training has looked like, here is the basic rundown of what I do now that I’m pregnant in the weight room…

Pull Downs

3 sets of 8 reps, pulling 70 pounds

lat pulldown

(source)

Shoulder Press

3 sets of 10-12 reps, with 20lb dumbbells

Pre-pregnancy I did these with 25 or 30lbs each, but I found that lifting a lighter weight with more reps works better for me right now.

shoulder press

(source)

Bicep Curls

3 sets of 8 reps, with 15lb dumbbells

BicepCurl1

(source)

Lunges

3 sets of 10 lunges on each side, alternating legs

Earlier in pregnancy I did these holding 10lb weights.  In the later weeks I’ve transitioned to just using my body weight, which is plenty!

lunges-forward

(source)

Seated Squats

3 sets of 10 reps, pushing 120 pounds

I am hoping this is a good exercise to help prepare for labor!  I usually feel like I’m giving birth when I climb onto the machine.

legpress

(source)

Hip Adductions

3 sets of 15 reps, lifting 115 pounds

I didn’t use to do these machines pre-pregnancy, but I am trying to really prepare my body for childbirth now as best as possible.  Strong core and kegel muscles are key!

hip adduction

(source)

Hip Abductions

3 sets of 15 reps, lifting 115 pounds

Very similar to the machine pictured above, but this one works the outside of your legs and butt (while the adduction machine works inside muscles).  These two machines leave me very very sore!

hip abduction

(source)

So that’s the basic rundown of what I do in the gym each week.  Usually I will also do some yoga stretching on the mats, along with a few sets of pushups.  But I have definitely found that with a new heavier body weight, pushups are MUCH more difficult these days!

One of the many reasons pregnant women struggle to find the motivation to exercise is because pregnancy can be really really exhausting.  And while I’ve definitely found myself glued to the couch some days, more often than not, I find that workout out and staying active has given me more energy and more motivation to keep moving.

My hope is that by staying strong and keeping my muscles engaged, I’ll have a stronger core that will help me in childbirth.  Either way, continuing strength training while pregnant has been a fun opportunity to approach weight lifting with a new perspective.

And for anyone who tells me that the weight room is too intimidating or scary, if I am in there with this big baby bump…

2011-08-02 15.04.23 (481x640)

…you can do it too!

Lauren     at 3:53 pm

Good for you! :D I hope that when I’m pregnant (years from now) I can do this too!

Madeline @ Food, Fitness & Family     at 3:53 pm

LOVE this post! I rock my bump in the weight room too – one guy even told me to keep up the good work! HAHA

I have the Sweating for Two tank in raceback – obsessed! SO comfortable and flattering :)

As for the push-ups … I feel you on that. Same with lunges – carrying more body weight is like doing them with weights anyway!

Keep up the good work – you look great! 10ish weeks to go for both of us :)

Noelle     at 3:54 pm

Way to go! Inspiring post. Did my weights this morning at 7:30am at 29 weeks. I feel rejuvenated so I know what you talk about.

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups     at 3:54 pm

I saw a pregnant woman at the gym yesterday, and I just kept thinking “good for her.” If she can be working out for two, there is really no excuse for me to be slacking!

Tara     at 3:56 pm

I JUST posted a blog post about excuses and how easy it is to have a whole bunch of them while meanwhile they are weak excuses. And the weight room featured into the concerns and excuses. I LOVE that you included the if you can do it with baby bump than others have nothing to worry about!!

sallymae     at 3:59 pm

You rock! I’m going to go do this work out right now!!!!!! Keep it up lady – movement is good!

Brooke @ Veggie Table     at 4:01 pm

Way to go! Keep it up :)

Mary (A Merry Life)     at 4:02 pm

That’s so cute! I’ve yet to see a pregnant woman in the weight room, but I hope I do one day! I know I’ll still be in there. I do see them pretty often in yoga though, so that’s good too. :)

Lauren F.     at 4:02 pm

I’ve been meaning to start lifting in addition to cardio. Thank you for this post, it’s a good reminder!!

P.S. Love your blog, I’ve become addicted!

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me     at 4:04 pm

You rock! I love this post. And dammmn girl you are lifting heavier weights while pregnant than I do (obv not pregnant)! Good for you!

Christina     at 4:04 pm

You are a total rock star!! I’m looking at what you’re doing now and truthbetold I do a similar workout now. And I’m NOT pregnant! You just gave me the push I needed to up my weights and stop being a scardy cat! Hi five to you for getting your fitness on during these months of pregnancy!

Kate     at 4:13 pm

OK, you can definitely out lift my non-pregnant, out-of-shape self. You are inspiring girl!

Rasha @ PBAddiction     at 4:16 pm

I think it’s really admirable that you keep this up while pregnant. Way to go!

Marci     at 4:19 pm

I realized really quickly in my first few weeks of this that this is not my old body! I get out of breath and worn down much faster, it’s been surprising. I know the energy part should get better next month, but I can tell it’s going to be different. I liked the “pushing it” before, now it’s about being careful.

Claire!     at 4:23 pm

Great post!! Question – do you do any sort of warmup before your weight routine (walking, elliptical, etc)? Just curious!!!

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 4:25 pm

Good job! I think I’ve gotten more into doing lighter weights with more reps, which I feel help me tone up a lot faster than traditional weight-lifting. However, I do use both methods!

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous     at 4:25 pm

I heart you. That’s all :)

hippierunner     at 4:35 pm

You rock!

Sarah     at 4:41 pm

Very inspiring! I love learning everything and anything about weight lifting. I just listened to a podcast (http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-tone-your-thighs.aspx) yesterday that said the adductor/abductor machine could injure your lower back – do you know anything about this?

Jenny     at 4:51 pm

I love this – I’m trying to add strength training in addition to Couch to 5K, swimming, and cycling. What routine would you recommend (or did you do) before you were pregnant?

Pam @pamcakes and eggs     at 4:55 pm

very useful post! you give me motivation not to only use the weights on Sunday afternoons when no one else is there (not that I do that or anything..)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 4:56 pm

I love the guy in the first gym picture staring at you in the background, haha. Your pregnancy weights are the same as my normal weights now! You are impressive girl!

Sarah for Real     at 5:03 pm

Holy heck you’re lifting twice what I do and I’m not even pregnant! I just started a weight lifting routine and I’m working my way up though. Way to go!

Jenn     at 5:12 pm

You can get away with being in the scary gym because you have an adorable baby bump. For those of us that are overweight enough to be mistaken for pregnant (or heavier still), gym-dwelling folks don’t tend to be as kind. I find that a lot of people online like to say how supportive people in a gym are towards those who are overweight (yay for effort! and all that), but my real world experiences say otherwise. People watch you, whisper, and are sometimes rude enough to make snide comments outright. I know I should just grow up already and deal with it, but honestly? It sends me straight back to school and is like reliving life’s most torturous moments over and over again. No thanks.

I think I’ll stick with lifting heavy cans in my basement!

Leah Reply:

My thought is that you are at the wrong gym. My gym has all ages, both men and women, and people of all shapes and sizes. It also has a kid’s program so is really for the whole family. Anyway, my classes have women and men of all sizes in them. My thought is you just have not found the right gym just yet. The trainers and teachers at my gym are also very supportive. A gym with mirrors everywhere or where people go just to pick up dates is not the type of gym you need to be in. I can see why you are doing a workout in your basement if you’ve had a bad experience. Just don’t dismiss gyms as a place where you do not belong. Another idea is to find a place where you can just take a few classes. If the teacher is awesome, and the class members are all different sizes (and supporting each other) you will enjoy it much more. :)

This makes me so sad! I truly can’t imagine judging anyone at the gym, out for a run/walk, etc. I never really pay attention to anyone else who is there, but obviously you are feeling that way for a reason. Maybe try a different gym?

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 5:19 pm

I started lifting weights a few weeks ago (used to do it and then fell out of the routine) and actually find that my body is starting to look more toned, despite being pregnant! That’s definitely nice. However I do get scared by some of the machines while in this state, especially when I feel like I’m engaging my core too much. I don’t want to rip or pull anything. I also do yoga as well, which provides a nice full-body workout.

You definitely have to pick and choose the machines that feel right. I tried a few that didn’t last long because I felt like my core was too engaged too.

Cheryl     at 5:29 pm

Emily, you rock… thanks so much for this post. I have been waiting for you to share your workout with us… I love weights,and while I am only lifting 15 pound weights now in free weights( more on assisted machines) ,,, I strive to get to 20 or 30 pounds. You are such a inspiration and your after baby body, will be awesome because you have stuck through the whole preganacy with your training… High Five to you girl…..

Alissa     at 5:31 pm

Emily, thank you so much!! So motivating. You motivated me to get off the couch and get out for a walk. :) Thanks for always sharing and being so open!

Katy @ MonsterProof     at 5:33 pm

So motivating! I definitely succumbed to the couch. :/ And, admittedly, the hardest thing post-baby was getting over feeling so WEAK. I wish I had done a better job keeping up with my workouts.

Sana     at 5:40 pm

I bet all the meat head guys lovedddd having you in there!

Shelley@MileHighHealthy     at 5:45 pm

You truly are inspiring! I currently do a circuit routine with 12lbs weights but now I am going to step it up a notch. I am no longer challenged and I crave that maxed out feeling you get when lifting is really hard and you can’t do one more rep! I believe you are a wonderful role model for healthy, active pregnant women. And once you’re pregnancy is over, you will be soooo glad that you kept fit. Congratulations!

allison     at 6:00 pm

Yay!!! I love that you aren’t another cardio queen! Weight lifting is sooooooo important and crucial for overall health (plus you look better!) but it is so neglected by many “healthy living” bloggers! Keep up the awesome work and with all those leg presses and hip abductions/adductions, labor will be a breeze:)

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 6:03 pm

way to go! i always go lift in our apartment gym with my husband because the big muscle men in there intimidate me…but maybe now i’ll go on my own :)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 6:03 pm

You know I am all about weight training while pregnant. Love that you are putting it out there and showing that it is possible and healthy to do.

PS – Next time you’re passing through ATL I really hope we get the chance to catch each other. :)

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope     at 6:15 pm

You’re awesome, I love it!

Michaela     at 6:53 pm

I definitely did bulk up from lifting weights, but I think I was lifting at a significantly more intense level than a recreational athlete. (I was a collegiate varsity athlete.) Particularly, my legs got very bulky, although I disliked my bulky arms more. Now that I’ve lost some of that tone, though, I wish I had it back.

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs     at 7:05 pm

Good for you! I hope to be that active when I’m pregnant.

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life     at 7:10 pm

The other day I walked into the weight room, saw like 6 beefy guys got intimidated, and almost left. As I was walking away I told myself to suck it up and ended up with a great strength workout. I LOVE that you are rockin’ the baby bump in there!

Amy @ ahealthyandhappyheart     at 7:14 pm

you go girl!

Shady     at 7:38 pm

You have totally inspired me to start weight training. Well I have access to a gym on campus, it’s small, badly equipped and always crowded, so I avoid it if at all possible. That being said, I’m wondering if you can recommend some ‘must haves’ for a newbie weight lifter at home. Thanks

Check out the fitness page – there are a few links to at home workouts! :)

Kelly     at 8:07 pm

Love the posts about exercising while pregnant! My in-laws always seemed to be nervous about me working out (they seemed to treat pregnancy as a sickness – more rest, more feet up, stay away from exertion, etc., – than as a wonderful state of being!). Your posts are great!

(P.S. My dad just had major shoulder surgery, and a friend is a physical therapist, and both the surgeon and my friend warn about above the head exercises with the shoulder because it is an unnatural motion for the shoulder to go directly above the head – especially with weight – so just be careful!!) :o)

Holly @ RUST BELT RUNNER     at 8:25 pm

Keep it up! There was a weight lifting woman at my gym who was preggo going hardcore. She bounced back like no thang!

She was seriously back at the gym before I knew it after having her baby. And she looks great!

You will too!!

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites     at 9:02 pm

I LOVE how you point out that that point of weight training and continuing to stay fit is ‘to engage your muscles and keep the body moving’ not to push yourself to your limits. I’m not pregnant but I know that this will be a mantra I will most definitely have to keep in mind when and if I do get pregnant because I am so used to pushing myself very hard now and I know I want to continue to stay very fit when pregnant but I will have to develop a different mind set. I’m sure a lot of that new mind set comes naturally when you’re pregnant, no?

I also just adore your tank ‘training for two’ Too cute!

Kristen, Sweetly     at 9:12 pm

Go ahead, Emily! :-) I can’t imagine what that guy was thinking as you stood in the weight room taking a photo during your happy, pregnant workout.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 9:19 pm

Wow! Youre lifting heavier weights than me and I’m definitely not pregnant! haha! I think that working out while pregnant will help you have an easy (fingers crossed!) labor and quick delivery!

Clare @ Fitting It All In     at 9:26 pm

I’m getting addicted to body pump! And today I read in the most recent Shape Magazine how lifting when pregnant is shown to prevent back pain and strengthen you for birth. Way to go for keeping up with it!

Katherine     at 9:44 pm

You really are adorable!

Reading (and chickens)     at 9:53 pm

Oh geez, but the weight room IS intimidating! Good for you for doing it.

Kristen @ The Concrete Runner     at 9:58 pm

I haven’t stopped lifting weights since I found out I was pregnant. I can definitely say that I think it has helped me keep toned and strong – I’m not afraid to lift anything because I lift at the gym. I get a lot of, “Man, you work out harder pregnant than I do on a regular basis.” I miss my old, intense workouts, but I’m glad I’m still in there 7.5 months pregnant!

Brenda@ Baby on the Way     at 10:50 pm

Wow! I am impressed with the weights you do each week! I’d been feeling like a rock star with my 5 lb weights doing bicep curls, but maybe next week I’ll amp it up to 7.5 lbs and see how it goes! Also, I think it’s awesome when pregnant women exercise because having a bump gives us an excuse to do or not do anything. It takes real motivation to get up and move. Keep up the good work!

Chelsie     at 11:19 pm

You are such an inspiration! Keep up the great work! This is kinda perfect timing for this post since I’m joining a gym this week. But I am so intimidated by weights I guess I just don’t know where to start. Its all so scary and new.

You can do it! It’s not scary at all once you get started.

Brittany     at 11:26 pm

Very inspiring, Emily!!

Luv What You Do     at 11:46 pm

There are two pregnant women at my gym in the mornings and they are so cute! I give them (and you) huge props for continuing to push themselves during this different time!

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine     at 1:01 am

Major props for doing pushups while pregnant! That takes serious skill ;)

Christine @ BookishlyB     at 1:33 am

I love seeing pregnant women at the gym- I give them all the credit in the world for being there. It’s motivating for me (if a tired pregnant lady can bring herself and baby to the gym I best be getting my butt up to go) now, and for the future when I decide to have kids.

Yolie @ Practising Wellness     at 8:12 am

I love this! <3 You're so right – we can all hit up the weight room, without being intimidated…what a great example you set! Thanks for being an inspiration, and a source of wonderful information about strength training.
Your posts about what strength training did for you motivated me to start including more of it into my own workouts…which is very cool and much appreciated! :-) xyx

Whitney     at 8:18 am

Strong is the new Skinny!!!!! :)

Amy @ SGTC     at 8:29 am

It makes me feel silly that I do some of these exercises at home (no gym access with my budget currently) with 3-5 lbs weights. Haha.

You are a machine!

Erin Reply:

Girl you can totally do more weight! I use to just use light weights. Then I started working with a trainer ans he taught me what I was really capable of. It was empowering!

Amy @ SGTC Reply:

I know, I know! It really is more of a finacial thing at the moment–but there is a gym opening near me in the Fall! So hopefully when that happens I will have access to more resources! :)

Cheryl Reply:

Amy,lighter weights are ok too… when i started out, i used 1,3 and 5 pounds. If you do high reps, you can still get a powerful sculpting and definition to your muscles. I went from a size 14 to a size 10 just using the light weights. I am up to using 10, 12 and 15 pounds now but use less reps… The idea is to fatigue those muscles out. There is a great book called, the new rules for weightlifting for women…. it has a lot of great info for women out there just getting started and those who may already be lifting.

I second this! :)

Leah     at 9:21 am

Thank you for posting! Strength training is so important for women as we age. In your 30s women start to experience muscle loss and bone loss…the only way to fight against that part of aging is to do strength training! :)

Sara     at 9:36 am

What a great post, Emily! You’re an inspiration to all women, pregnant or not. I have two kids already, but if I have a third I definitely won’t be afraid to keep up with my weight lifting during pregnancy. It has been amazing watching your pregnancy progress! Thanks for sharing. :)

Debbi     at 10:12 am

I am so happy to have happened upon your blog. After a five years of doing weights at home – oh the excuses are so easy! I am back to the gym and love your receipes. I’m kind of new to vegetarian cooking and they are so helpful. Oh, I’m also 65 so, see you can teach an old dog new tricks!

You are awesome!

Sarah     at 10:32 am

This post is perfect for me!!! I’m aout 14/15 weeks now and am really struggling with my energy level. I’ve purchased and done some pregnancy weight videos at home which saves time and helps me to keep moving. The next question I have is pregnancy workout wear. I know you posted about your tank top in the past…but what about other clothing? My gym is filled with style conscious women who are always dressed in fancy clothes. Do you have any recommendations for “fitting in” clothing wise? Thanks!!

You should get your energy back soon! I have great workout maternity pants from Gap, and I wear sports bras and tanks from Target. I am definitely NOT fancy and my clothes are all very cheap!

Karin     at 10:33 am

I love the training for 2!

Niki     at 11:01 am

I integrated a 55cm balance ball into my workout routine when I was pregnant. I ran 3 miles daily up to and including the day I had my son. I lifted, but a lot less. I’m training to get endorsements for my Yoga certification and Personal Trainer certifications to focus on prenatal and postnatal fitness. It amazes me how many women think they have to be completely stationery during pregnancy!! Kudos to you for staying in tip top shape – it’ll help!!

RhodeyGirl     at 11:13 am

Question: Are we not supposed to lift heavy weights because it can cause pre-term labor or because it can cause a placental issue or something?

I haven’t lifted at all since 26 weeks when I was cut off, but I wonder if I can lift some light weights around 35/36 weeks since I’ll be so close to term then. I plan on asking my doc, but I would love your personal thoughts!

I think you have to be careful with certain movements because obviously we don’t want any placenta tearing or anything. I try not to do anything that requires twisting or bending, and obviously nothing that impacts my belly. I stopped doing core workouts around 20 weeks and just stick to upper and lower body now. I figure my core gets enough of a workout just hauling the belly around! :)

liz     at 11:14 am

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! for this post! I have been so lost as to what sort of regimen to start back on. since becoming pregnant, i stopped working out regularly due to the insane sickness. i have had the bug to start again, wanting to regain my muscle tone.. but needed that certain inspiration for a routine that was appropriate for a 17 weeks pregnant lady.
Cannot thank you enough Emily!

Erin     at 11:27 am

Wow no wonder you look so good! Thank you so much for sharing this!

As someone who recently started weight training to help me lose the last of my baby weight I can say that 12 weeks of weight training with a trainer did more for me than hours of running. I always though “oh cardio is how you lose weight and they I can start weight training to tone.” I was so wrong. Lifting heavy weight is so important to build muscle, strength and increase metabolism.

YESSSS! Exactly!

Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life     at 11:37 am

Awesome post! I bet that all you are doing is going go greatly help when you are actually in labor! Keep it up, its so inspirational to all of us who someoday want to be fit mommies too!

amyt @ chicken nugget momma     at 12:19 pm

Kudos to you!!! I think it’s awesome that you are keeping it up – rock it girl!! I love lifting weights – my hubby has tried to get me to do it for a long time – I started last Feb and haven’t stopped …I’m hooked!! Congrats to you!! You look amazing!

I always want to strength train more, but it’s so hard to be motivated to do so. I just love heart-pumping cardio! I know that strength training burns more calories in the long run, but I like seeing my heart rate really high and the calories ticking away on my HRM.

Plus, the weights area/machines are always slammed at my gym. It’s much easier to get a cardio machine. One day I will have a house and be able to do more at home!

My gym is the opposite – cardio machines are always full! Funny.

Erin     at 1:01 pm

I think it’s awesome that you’re continuing with your exercise routine (though slightly modified). With both of my kids I worked out until the bitter end (actually went to the gym a few hours before my water broke with my second). As you get closer and closer to your due date you’ll end up getting some really strange looks and comments of “You’re still here” and “Still no baby?”. Good luck to you!!!

I’ve definitely caught a few sideways glances! :)

Kaitlin @ Montgomery Minimalist     at 1:28 pm

This summer I’ve also discovered the many benefits of using the weight room and doing “real” lifting with heavier weights. I actually just wrote a post about this: http://www.montgomeryminimalist.com/2011/07/29/woman-in-the-weight-room/. I’ve found that it’s really helped my running, my confidence, and my overall strength. Your post is really encouraging–keep it up!

violet     at 1:44 pm

just curious, do you work? or you just do your blogging/ and entrapreneurial magazine article writing/cooking? I’m not insinuating anything, just curious!

Well I do blogging here of course, and I also do freelance writing pieces and recipe development, which believe it or not is quite a bit of work! :) I also do a lot for our side business – Recipage. I most definitely consider it a job!

Shayla @ The Good Life     at 2:55 pm

You look fantastic Emily, nice muscles! I too am a big proponent of weight lifting and hope to continue it once I get pregnant. It’s so inspiring for me to see all that you do activity wise while pregnant and I love the approach you’re taking with it…I hope to be like that too! :)

Btw, I really want to get the “Training and Spinning For Two” tops and was wondering what size you ordered? They advise to buy pre-pregnancy size…did that work for you? Thanks!

I got the medium because I was worried about the chest being too small, but if I got another one I’d get a small!

Shayla @ The Good Life Reply:

Got to know! Thanks Emily! :)

ErikaMC     at 3:19 pm

I totally agree with weight training! I’m 37 weeks pregnant and I’ve been able to lift weights the whole time – I also lowered my weight and increased reps. It feels great and I know that it will make my labor and recovery that much better. I have read in numerous places though that the hip machines are not that good for you (pregnant or not) because it’s not a natural movement. You might want to look into other hip exercises.

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 4:02 pm

Wow, your pregnancy workout sounds harder than my regular, non-pregnant on! Guess I better step it up. Thanks for the encouragement to use heavier weights!

Jo @ Jo In the Kitchen     at 4:22 pm

I did ballet and jazz the entire time I was pregnant! I was in college (majoring in dance), and everyone thought I was crazy, but it was truly the best thing for me. I stayed in shape, didn’t gain too much weight, and kept my sanity!
I hope that if I ever get pregnant again that I’ll feel as good as I did the first time (but hopefully not as much morning sickness!!!)
Great job on your fitness routine, and I’m glad that you’re feeling good about it. It will definitely help with labor :)

Laura     at 6:57 pm

Thanks for this post! I am early in my pregnancy (9 weeks) and at first I was nervous about it because I didn’t want to do anything to harm my baby. I loved seeing what you do and that you still use weights and that it is possible to do more than just walk throughout pregnancy (depending on the pregnancy of course). I know everyone is different but a lot of the weight training I am doing is the same as yours, which makes me feel better. It’s just so nice to see a real-life post on this because a lot of what I was finding was really low-key and I knew I could do more than that, but just not as intense as before.

CONGRATS to you!!

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions     at 7:36 pm

Dang, yo. A+ to you for being able to do those hip machines with so much weight. I can usually do the adductions all right with like 30 lbs. or so, but those abductions make my hip muscles cramp up in all sorts of extremely uncomfortable ways. It seriously hurts just thinking about it.

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker     at 8:55 am

Love this post, Emily. When we were on vacation, I headed to the gym with my husband and his brother/best friend. It was def a GUY gym . . . and I had already run, so my priority was weights. So weird working out with a baby bump in front of all those beefy guys. But you’re so right that strength training is a great way to stay in shape while pregnant. I’ll have to try some of these workouts.

Britne @ Shabbott's Habits     at 10:48 am

Great post Emily! I too am one of those girls who believes in lifting heavier weights. My friends are always asking if I’m afraid that I’m going to look bulky and my answer is always – NO, I’m going to look TONED and DEFINED! Way to keep up the workouts with that cute beach ball belly of yours :)

Laura     at 11:14 am

Hi! I ‘stumbledupon’ on of your posts awhile ago, and I’ve been reading your blog ever since. And although, at 22, I’m far away from even thinking about starting a family, I’m trying to start a healthy lifestyle (now that college is over haha) and your blog is definitely an inspiration to me! You look so healthy and happy!

Lea @ Healthy Coconut     at 11:11 am

You are such an inspiration Emily. I am not pregnant and I am lifting less, but I know that I can do more….just need to push myself. I hope one day when I am pregnant, I can stay as active as you have been throughout your whole pregnancy.

Christina Lee     at 9:24 pm

Wow very inspiring. I am 4 months and trying to keep the weight gain to a healthy 25ish lbs. you have inspired me to try a little heavier weights and gave me some ideas for new exercises. Thank you.