For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Simple Things.

One of my favorite things to do in Seattle on the weekend is go to the Ballard farmers market.  In addition to the many beautiful fruit and vegetable displays, musicians playing in the street, and dogs of every shape and size, there is another thing that lures me there each week.

Hot dogs.

Field Roast veggie dogs with a long list of available toppings – mine all mine for $6 every Sunday afternoon.

I’ve been trying to make quick lunches at home during the work day when I am busy, and lately Field Roast has been making a regular appearance in my fridge.  But mine never tastes quite as good or as special as the market version, so today I set out to match the Ballard dog as closely as possible.

I discovered that the secret was in the bun.

IMG_1921 (640x427)

Opened up and placed in the pan face down for a few minutes, just until nice and toasty.  Hot dog buns don’t fit in our toaster so I always eat them cold and kind of chewy.  Why did the whole “toast in the pan” concept take me so long to figure out?

IMG_1925 (640x427)

In general I am not a fan of fake meats.  Something about the chick’n and nugget-like textures really freak me out.  Not to mention the long and usually scary ingredient lists, and the fact that I think trying to mimic a meat product is really unnecessary when there is so much great food out there!

Field Roast sausages are pretty much my only exception.  Check out the ingredient list for this Smoked Apple Sage variety:

Filtered water, vital wheat gluten, expeller pressed safflower oil, nonsulphered dried apples, yukon gold potatoes, naturally flavored yeast extract, onion powder, barley malt, garlic, natural hickory smoke flavor with torula yeast, sea salt, spices and rubbed sage

IMG_1922 (640x427)

Nothing fake, nothing weird, and nothing I can’t pronounce.  I also love that each one has 26g of protein, and that they keep me full all day long.  Even better, Field Roast is a Seattle company!  Almost all of the burger joints and hot dog carts around the city include Field Roast as a veggie option – truly wonderful.

IMG_1923 (640x427)

So anyways.  Back to my lunch…

IMG_1926 (640x427)

Funny how something as simple as a toasted bun made such a delicious difference, and almost fooled me into thinking it was as good as my Sunday afternoon Ballard treat.

IMG_1929 (640x427)

I should probably go get another one this Sunday anyways, just to compare.

IMG_1933 (640x410)

Have a great weekend!

For pregnancy talk, check out this week’s Babble:

I love chewy hot dog buns! But I don’t like hot dogs. When I used to eat them I would pour so many condiments on top so I wouldn’t have to taste them. The kind you have sounds good, too bad it’s not gluten-free!

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous!     at 2:34 pm

I wonder if I could find those down here in Texas?? They look and sound delicious!!

Reading (and chickens)     at 3:46 pm

I loooove Field Roast. You need to try their “roasts”–not fake meat-y at all (I’m comparing this to the Tofurkey *gag* “meal” *gag*.) It’s amazing!

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites     at 11:25 pm

I just love all the veg options that are available out there in Seattle especially in the most unexpected places like street carts! There aren’t as many of those options here in Bean Town. I eat meat but lean heavily towards vegetarianism and typically always opt for a veg burger when it comes to food like this… not common for Boston street food!

I really dig how field roast links are individually wrapped. I wish so many other products came like this so that they didn’t go bad so quickly!

Gabrielle     at 1:05 am

Love Field Roast sausages! I cut them up and put in all sorts of dishes, in addition to every so often eating in a bun.

Hayley @ Oat Couture     at 8:18 am

Oh wow, now I’m really craving one of those veggie hot dogs!! YUM!!

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 10:51 am

Man that does look fantastic! I’m sure the atmosphere helps make the market one even better! Fake meats have always weirded me out too…eeek! :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 11:25 am

While not vegetarian, TJ’s has a chicken apple sausage that I just love the flavors of, if I could find these I’d love to give them a try too!

Chelsey @ Chew with Your Mouth Open     at 3:41 pm

Seattle-area Farmer’s Markets are pretty amazing, I have to agree. Your veggie dog looks delicious!

Jessica @ Jess Go Bananas     at 4:22 pm

Have you tried any of the other field roast brands? Which one would you suggest for a newbie?!

Kristina     at 12:45 pm

I love toasting my bread in the pan! I feel like it always turns out less dry than when I put it in the toaster…

Meredith Snyder     at 12:30 pm

I’ve had that brand of “fake meat”. Delicious!

Katie     at 9:59 pm

I can’t remember the last time I ate a hot dog, but these look delicious and being pregnant I HAD to have one. Luckily, I found Field Roast at Whole Foods here in Austin and got really excited. I made them for dinner that night with grilled peppers. So good! I’m hooked. I love all your posts!

Amber     at 12:39 pm

These looked so good I had to go out yesterday and buy the smoked apple sage and it is delicious. So good that it had to make a repeat appearance in my lunch bag today. Last night’s dinner was with grilled peppers, today was kept simple with mustard and ketchup. Thank you for recommending it!

Glad you liked it!

Local Tofu and a New Wheat Meat | Epic Organic     at 6:34 pm

[…] Field Roast Italian Sausage – a “grain meat” that I discovered via Emily over at Daily Garnish. She had discovered Field Roast veggie dogs at her local market in Seattle, and they sounded better […]

» Life is a full-time job not so skinny     at 4:37 pm

[…] that I can’t wait to try. I read about these tasty dogs made with natural meat substitutes at the Daily Garnish. I love that they’re local (to the west coast). I’m going to tell my mom, who lives in their […]

domain     at 10:51 pm

Heya are using WordPress for your site platform?

I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to
get started and create my own. Do you need any coding knowledge to
make your own blog? Any help would be really appreciated!

running shoes