Week 29: My Pregnancy Journey.

I know I say it every week, but they really do seem to be flying by!  I definitely feel like I’m in my third trimester now, both physically and emotionally.  I can sense that the end (and beginning!) is in sight…

How Big is the Baby?

This week, Baby C has grown to be around 17 inches in length.  That’s about as long as a large bunch of celery!

He still only weighs around 3 pounds right now, but he’s almost up to what his full length will be at birth.  I can feel it too – I think he went through a major growth spurt this week!

How I’m Feeling

The most notable change this week is what’s happening inside my big belly.  Or more specifically, my ribcage.  This baby has GROWN, and he’s no longer fitting in the big round spot in front of me – he seems to be taking over my entire torso!

I read that right around this time is when babies should start preparing themselves for birth by getting into the correct position (head down).  My book said that when this happens, you’ll start to feel less movement from side to side, and more kicks in the stomach.  Just in the past few days, I suddenly feel lots of moving and pressure right under my ribs – pushing on my lungs and upper abdomen.  I hope this means he’s turned and his feet are kicking me in the chest!

I also read that week 30 is usually another big period of growth, and I’m actually looking forward to it.  I’m hoping that if my belly gets bigger, he’ll have more room and will be able to relieve some of this pressure.  He’s making it very hard to sleep or eat because my organs have no room in there!

How I’m Feeling

The most notable thing I’m feeling this week?  Emotional.  I spent my first trimester feeling weepy and hormonal, but it only lasted for a few weeks.  Then both the puking and the crying stopped, and I felt like myself again.  Here I am now in week 29 and the hormones are most definitely back again!

They are different this time though.  My early pregnancy tears were about feeling overwhelmed, grateful, scared, anxious, and all the other things that come along with the first trimester.  This time, I feel weepy in a “what did I do to deserve all of this?” type of way.  I keep finding myself looking at Casey and saying things like “can you believe we are really going to have a baaaaabaaay?” and then bursting into tears.  It’s embarrassing.  (At least I know I’m not alone – check out these other hilarious pregnancy meltdowns.)

Getting Ready for Baby

Nesting is in full swing at our house.  I’m feeling really motivated to get the house as pulled together as possible.  I keep having these strong urges to do things like clean the windows in the car or wash all the sheets in the house.  I worked a little bit more on the nursery this weekend, and am hoping to finish a few more projects this week!

As far as getting ready for actual delivery goes, I’ve continued to read my birthing books and watched another birth documentary this weekend.  I still don’t feel ready, but I feel educated and prepared.  I also went to my first prenatal yoga class, which I will write more about later this week!

Odds and Ends

• Total weight gained:  15 pounds
  • Days until baby shower:  11
  • Level of excitement to see friends and family:  Off the charts
  • 1st trimester travels:  Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Seattle (twice)
  • 2nd trimester travels:  New Haven, Cincinnati, Indy, Seattle, Las Vegas
  • 3rd trimester travels:  Charleston, Cincinnati, 1 more TBD
  • Days until Cincy BFF arrives:  3 (!)
  • Days until next appointment:  15
  • Onesies purchased this week:  2
  • Weeks left:  10.5 (what?)

To read previous weekly updates or other pregnancy-related posts, check out my pregnancy page!

Haley     at 4:38 pm

The suntanned look makes you glow even more!

Callie     at 4:39 pm

You’re so close! I can’t believe it!

Chase     at 4:39 pm

Grow baby grow! :) Did you get a haircut? Cute!

Taylor @ Delish World     at 4:39 pm

I love your tan preggo belly! I can’t believe how far along you are. Seems like yesterday I was reading your very first baby post!

abbey     at 4:39 pm

The weeks are flying by, it only seems like yesterday you were showing us the cabbage! Totally beautiful x

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey     at 4:40 pm

Adorable, as always… You, Baby C, and the celery. ;)

~

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 4:42 pm

I’m impressed that you’re doing all of that traveling. At 17.5 weeks, I feel like I can barely handle long car trips anymore.

maria @ a life to Bragg about Reply:

I’m impressed too! I have to pee every 10 minutes which does not make a road trip over 2 hours any fun. No thanks!

maria @ a life to Bragg about     at 4:45 pm

LOVE your belly tan! You look adorable. And now I’m going to go lay on my deck and tan mine haha!

Ashley     at 4:48 pm

When you put it that way…10.5 weeks left, it sounds insane!! Wow has time flown. I couldn’t be happier for you, Em! You look stunning, as you have this entire time and you sound so positive + ready. I have no doubt, you are going to be a tremendous mother!! xo

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat     at 4:49 pm

You are so cute and I just love reading this updates! Thanks for sharing such a special part of your life with us :)

Lee     at 4:49 pm

Are you going to dip the celery in yesterday’s basil hummus? I think you should!

laurie @ the corner slice Reply:

LOVE this comment! It’s a great idea!

janetha @ meals & moves     at 4:50 pm

Beautiful!

Jordan Lynn     at 4:51 pm

You are absolutely glowing! I love, love the weekly pregnancy updates!

Christine @ BookishlyB     at 4:53 pm

You look great! So tan, summery, and happy!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 4:55 pm

Oh my gosh! I love watching your journey! I love seeing that I wasn’t the only one that went through all of that too! You look amazing and are positively glowing! Pregnancy looks good on you! I know you and Casey are getting so excited!

Oh, I hope your sister and her little one are doing well! Have a great evening Emily!

Rachael     at 4:57 pm

You look beautiful! I love your size comparisons! Enjoy your last 10.5 weeks! You will miss it when it’s over! You won’t notice right away, you’ll be kinda busy! ;)

Danielle     at 5:02 pm

What a beautiful baby belly! You look great!

Balancing Sylvia     at 5:03 pm

You look so beautiful! I have to echo “did you cut your hair?” It looks really good :D

Gina (Yogattude)     at 5:05 pm

Woot(!) for prenatal yoga, I hope you had a good instructor and experience! Can’t wait to hear more! You look gorgeous!

Jess@atasteofconfidence     at 5:06 pm

You look great! And so tan.

Kamaile     at 5:08 pm

You look positively radiant!

Colleen     at 5:15 pm

Emily, I really love these updates. I will be 8 weeks pregnant on Thursday so I am really looking forward to re-reading your posts once I get to week 9 :) Your tan baby bump looks great!

Madeline @ Food, Fitness & Family     at 5:18 pm

I love reading the tid-bits about baby since you and I pretty much share the same due date! It’s crazy how big they are now!

You look great!

My shower is in 11 days too – so exciting! I want to nest SO badly but we are moving in 6 weeks to another state – needless to say my 36th week of pregnancy is going to be FULL of nesting haha.

Sara@BakingandWine     at 5:31 pm

Hey, my meltdown made it on your babble article. Ha. I’m so…. proud? :D

Have you had any shortness of breath yet? When I was around 30 weeks is when I started getting it really bad and it is terrifying! There is just not enough room in there for baby and lungs to expand.

Emily     at 5:36 pm

You look so wonderful! I love these posts each week and you see to be doing great, vacation treated you well :)

Marci     at 5:36 pm

I think you are all belly! Can’t believe it’s just 15 lbs!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 5:37 pm

I’m jealous of that tan! You looks great!
Unrelated question for you- I’m going to be in Seattle for not even 12 hours tomorrow but hoping to fit a run in the afternoon. Any suggestions on good routes? I’m staying downtown.

mi-an d.     at 5:37 pm

hi emily! i stumbled upon your little blog on angela’s blog yesterday and totally fell in love with your blog! :) anyway, it’s my first time commenting…and ahh your belly is so cuute!! it’s got a really nice tan huh… :) my niece is coming over today and i’m gonna try making those tasty strawberry muffins in your recipage. take care!

Natale @FactualFoodie     at 5:52 pm

I actually can’t believe you only have 10 weeks left! I feel like I just started reading about your pregnancy a month ago!

Kath     at 6:06 pm

10 weeks left!?! I thought you were almost there!

You are the most gorgeous pregnant woman I’ve ever seen!

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs Reply:

Me too!! I can’t believe Baby C has 10 more weeks of belly time!

Jackie @ That Deep Breath     at 6:11 pm

Girl, you are SO tan!!! You are seriously glowing. You look really happy, I’m so excited for you!

Susan     at 6:27 pm

You look absolutely stunningly beautiful!!!

(Stunningly should be a word if it isn’t already).

Kathy     at 6:35 pm

You are so adorable. I can’t believe how SMALL you are for your third trimester. (I say small because I gained 50 to 60 lbs with my two). I think I was your size at 4 or 5 months. You are looking awesome!! Hopefully you won’t be burdened with stretchmarks either! Best wishes to you and hubby. Life as you knew it is about to change forever – but in a good way. Love the posts!

Natalie @ will jog for food     at 6:40 pm

You look adorable! I love your weekly updates…i’m hoping to get on the baby wagon next year, so this is great :)

Ebru     at 6:41 pm

Your bump looks so cute and perfect! :) I have found your amazing blog just a few weeks ago and I love it! Congratulations to you and your hubby on your bundle of joy, what an exciting chapter in your lives! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 6:47 pm

I totally laughed out loud about you being weepy and emotional about having the baby. I would totally do that too! Love your tan tummy!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 7:14 pm

Look at that beautiful, tanned baby bump! You look faaaaabulous!

I keep having those moments, too, where I’m like ‘OH MY GOSH… a baby. We’re going to be PARENTS. We’re going to say things like ‘because I said so’. AHHHHHHHH”

…you think all that would have sunk in by now ;)

Stef     at 7:17 pm

I have been following your pregnancy journey and have never commented before, but I just had to tell you that are THE most beautiful pregnant woman EVER!!!Seriously! I’ve never seen such a perfect bump! I can’t wait to see what the next few weeks brings and then all the fun a baby will bring. My husband and I are going to start trying soon, so it’s so exciting to follow along blogger pregnancies.

Katherine     at 7:35 pm

10.5 weeks? You are so close! Can’t wait to see him!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats     at 7:54 pm

You look so great! :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 8:08 pm

You just wait… As soon as you are in single digits near your due date time will start creeping. The last few days felt like months for me! I cannot wait to see pictures of that baaaaaabyyyyy!!!

Reading (and chickens)     at 8:08 pm

I love how with-it and together you are. It was at this point in both my pregnancies where I would forget everything. “Why am I holding this bunch of celery in front of a camera?”

Shayla @ The Good Life     at 8:11 pm

You’re absolutely glowing and your belly bump is too cute and beautiful…I think I say it every week but you really are such a gorgeous pregnant lady :)

Can’t wait to hear about the prenatal yoga, I always wondered if it’d be something I’d want to do too.

Amy @ ahealthyandhappyheart     at 8:14 pm

You are so beautiful! Good luck with everything…<3

colleen     at 8:39 pm

Your days in the sun really bring out your glow. I remember those kicks to the ribs – ouch!

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me     at 9:21 pm

You look so beautiful! Congratulations!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com     at 12:02 am

You look gorgeous! Amazing how time flies. I am sure you both are so anxious :D

Laura @ Backstage Balance     at 12:45 am

You look positively radiant, gorgeous! Congratulations on your little celery bunch boy :-)

Kinder     at 12:47 am

You have to be the most beautiful pregnant lady I have seen. Just needed to say that (=

Nina @ SLO Foodie     at 1:30 am

I know everyone else has already commented on this observation…but you look amazing! That vacation must have done you good. So very exciting.

Hayley @ Oat Couture     at 2:25 am

You look fab Emily!! :)

Kristina     at 2:48 am

Prenatal yoga is amazing! Not that I would know from experience per se, since I don’t have kids yet, but I know several new moms through my yoga classes and they all said they practiced practically up until delivery, and felt that yoga really helped them with the delivery process and afterwards. Have fun!

emily     at 3:03 am

You look so well!
I’ve been loving following along on your journey – you make it all seem less daunting :)

Lisa     at 5:56 am

If Baby C gets wedged under your ribs which will probably start happening soon, put a bag of frozen peas on his bottom and he’ll move right away. I only did it once with Liam, but it worked and I didn’t have to do it again!
Also, you probably have a few more inches of growth – the average length is about 20 in. :)

Jeanelle @ Glocal Girl     at 7:09 am

Pregnancy suits you, Emily! You are GLOWING and it’s not just from your tan! Can’t wait to see what your little guy looks like in just a few weeks…

meg     at 7:23 am

Do you get to see your new nephew for your shower ??

Jen     at 9:57 am

You look more gorgeous each week! And your beautiful tanned belly puts my pasty one to shame :)

Louise     at 9:58 am

You look great! I am about eight weeks behind you and I look forward to your updates so I know what’s ahead for me. I’m having some major growth and I’m trying not to panic about the fact that I have 19 weeks left and am already this big. I’m a short girl, so he has no where to go but out.

RhodeyGirl     at 9:58 am

You look great lady! Love how shiny your belly is!! :)

I’ve gained TWICE as much as you! Crazy. I really don’t think my body would have gained less though even if I tried to do anything differently, just like I don’t think you could have gained more at this point even if you tried. Our bodies just know what they are doing!

I’m getting anxious to get back to my old workout routine. You? I can’t wait to kick some butt at the gym this fall and winter!

Kristen, Sweetly     at 10:54 am

!!!!! Look at that beautiful belly. I am so excited to meet him on the blog. Aha, can’t imagine what it must be like for you.

So much fun to see this weekly updates. Baby C will get to see what you went through throughout his conception. Then again, he won’t care for a good long while, but still what fun!

Becca C-H     at 1:01 pm

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that your due date is my birthday! It is also Eleanor Roosevelt’s birthday, and that of the twins from the Parent Trap :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 1:33 pm

You look amazing! Can’t wait to “meet” the little guy!

Caitlin     at 2:52 pm

your bump is tan!!!!

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope     at 6:15 pm

Your belly is so tan and adorable!

Karla     at 9:12 am

Wow – pregnancy looks GORGEOUS on you!!! I’m 100% convinced it’s also because you have taken such great care of yourself but you give new meaning to having a pregnancy glow!

Thanks! :)

Karin     at 10:35 am

You look gorgeous mama!

Kerry     at 6:15 pm

Your hair and tan look so pretty! Truly a blooming pregnant lady

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 1:41 pm

Yeah, the majority of my hormone overloads were in my third trimester. I was a little overwhelmed with the thought that I had chosen to do a natural birth and totally not know what to expect.

But you know what? It really wasn’t much different from what I thought. In fact, it was even easier! Now my son is almost a year old and I can’t believe how fast time has gone. I’m so excited for you!!!

Oh, and how the heck did you get so gorgeously tan in Seattle?!!? haha

Becca     at 11:14 am

Emily – Happy Holidays! I know you wrote this post a lifetime ago but I’ve enjoyed reading your weekly updates as I experience my first pregnancy. I’m at 29 weeks and am crying like crazy these days! It’s nice to read that the experience is one shared by many. (Although any advice on how to cope!? ha) Can’t wait till our little one comes and hope that our family is happy and healthy, just as yours is. All the best!