Week 30: My Pregnancy Journey.

We are officially in the THREE’S!  Does anyone else think that is just really really crazy?  Whenever I hear someone is in one of the 30+ weeks, I think that sounds like the very end.

How Big is the Baby?

Baby C is over 3 pounds now, and is as big as a butternut squash!  Holy cow.

Some days I would like a time machine to fast forward through the next ten weeks, since pregnancy has felt like an eternity.  Other days, I would like to hit pause and buy myself a little more time.

The kicks are constant and BIG these days, and I’d guess that I spend at least two hours of each day staring at my belly watching him move.  I can feel big body parts and I think he may be getting himself into the correct head down position.  Fingers crossed!

Busted out the iPad to see if the squash was really true to life size.  Looks pretty close to me!  He doesn’t even come close to fitting on the screen anymore, and he looks like a real live baby.  Insane.  How is that possibly inside of me?

How I’m Feeling

According to my weekly update, I might be experiencing a bit of the following…

You may be feeling a little tired these days, especially if you’re having trouble sleeping. You might also feel clumsier than normal, which is perfectly understandable. Not only are you heavier, but the concentration of weight in your pregnant belly causes a shift in your center of gravity.

Remember those mood swings you had earlier in pregnancy? The combination of uncomfortable symptoms and hormonal changes can result in a return of those emotional ups and downs. It’s normal to worry about what your labor will be like or whether you’ll be a good parent.  (from Babycenter)

Check, check, and check!  I don’t know what’s going on this week, but there have been a few days when I have suddenly feel like I’m back in my first trimester.  I am exhausted to the point where I can barely function, and I’m experiencing strange food cravings and aversions again.

I have also recently realized that my balance and spatial awareness is way off.  I keep banging into things, and I actually took a hard fall (my big fear!) going up the stairs.  I also fell getting off the toilet the other day.  Pregnancy is very humbling.

It’s nice to hear that my mood swings and out-of-control emotions are normal for this stage of pregnancy, and I’m not just totally losing it.  Some days I wake up on cloud nine, feeling excited and ready and overjoyed about being pregnant.  Other days I am teary, weepy, and totally overwhelmed.  Glad to know that is to be expected!

I can’t believe that I’m not at the point where my weeks start with three.  Where did the time go?  Check out my Babble post about Hitting my Thirties – reflections on the 30’s for both age and pregnancy.  For comparisons sake, here’s a look back at how much I’ve changed…

10 weeks (and violently ill)

week10

2o weeks(and in desperate need of a haircut!)

week20

And now THIRTY weeks, and feeling great.  :)

What I’m Eating

Speaking of those food cravings and aversions, I am embarrassed to admit this but earlier this week I had an overwhelming urge to eat Spaghetti O’s.  Remember those gross noodles in a can with the congealed meatballs?  I resisted buying the Trader Joe’s O’s when I saw them and my heart did a little flutter.

As far as food aversions go, I’m back off hummus – just like I was in the first trimester.  I don’t want to smell it or even see it.  Also, garlic.  Don’t bring it near me.  Gag.  I read recently that what you eat during pregnancy can actually affect your babies taste preferences later in life, so I’m doing my best to eat a good variety of foods and flavors.

In general, food isn’t really sounding very good these days.  I’m never very excited about eating, and it takes me forever to figure out what I want to eat for each meal.  If I felt it was nutritionally acceptable, I’d be happy to live off of cereal and blueberries for the next 10 weeks, but I’m doing my best to mix it up and continue to get in a good variety of healthy food.

Getting Ready for Baby

One of the other things I read in my update this week was about common labor fears.  It was reassuring to me to know that this are normal things to be worrying about!

Surprising Facts: Common labor fears

Are you nervous about giving birth? You’re not alone! Here are some common fears and how to cope with them.

• I won’t be able to handle the pain.
  • I’ll need an episiotomy or I’ll tear.
  • I’ll have a bowel movement during labor.
  • I’ll be steamrolled into unnecessary medical interventions.
  • I’ll have to have a c-section.
  • I won’t make it to the hospital on time.

(from Babycenter)

Call me vain, but the episiotomy and pooping fears are HIGH on my list.  Getting to the hospital on time, however, should not be an issue.  I have a feeling I’m going to to be one of those women that shows up dilated 0.5 cm and still days away from childbirth.

Speaking of labor, I’m starting to think a lot about things like what I need to pack for the hospital and what type of nursing supplies I will need.  These questions used to feel so far away, and now they suddenly feel immediate!

The big excitement for this week is that my BABY SHOWER is this weekend!  I’ll be traveling back to Cincinnati at the end of the week with Lindsey, and on Saturday I’m lucky enough to get to gather with all my closest friends and family to celebrate Baby C!  I feel so totally blessed to have guests coming in from Connecticut, Atlanta, Chicago, Florida, Indiana, and elsewhere.  I will also finally get to meet my adorable nephew, and I can hardly wait.

Facts This Week

• Gained This Week:  1 pound
  • Total Weight Gain:  15-16 pounds
  • Friends Currently in Labor:  One – go Lisa, go!
  • Cross Country Flights Left in Pregnancy:  2
  • Days I will Spend Back Home:  3 (never enough!)
  • Days until Baby Shower:  3!
  • Days until Birthing Center Tour:  7 – cannot wait!

For more pregnancy-related posts and previous weekly updates, check out the pregnancy page

Congrats to Amanda who commented, “I would love to win this! With a little one on the way (and a very picky veggie eater for a husband), I know I would get a ton of use out of it!”  You won the Peas and Thank You cookbook!  Please email me so I can get you your copy!

Amy @ SGTC     at 1:27 pm

I can’t believe you are 30 weeks pregnant already! it seems like yesterday you were just starting these posts!

Have fun at the baby shower–I can’t wait to see pictures!

ps-Congrats Amanda! :)

Marci     at 1:29 pm

Looking great! Enjoy your shower! Love your shirt too!

Maria @ a life to Bragg about     at 1:30 pm

Yay you’ve reached your 30′s! Such a milestone! And time really flies, right! I can’t wait until I hit that point, I’m ready to meet my baby!

Hannah     at 1:32 pm

Ahhh scary episiotomy! I would be screaming at the doctor, “DO NOT CUT ME!” It’s way over-used, like many other medical interventions.

PS: I can’t believe your face has stayed so thin! Looking great as always!

Cindi     at 1:32 pm

I hear ya on the poop’ing during labor! My biggest regret is not asking for an enema when I got to the hospital. I was scared to push correctly – and my baby could have arrived a lot earlier if I wouldn’t have been so paranoid about something that had already happened. Next time, enema for sure!

Also – they don’t really do episiotomy’s anymore (from what I understand). They let you tear naturally. Just ask your nurse to give you a perineal massage. While I still tore (which I didn’t even notice or feel) – I believe this helped!

Lisa Reply:

I plan on going the midwife way. My friend Bree is a midwife and she recommends massaging that area with some kind of oil during the entire pregnancy to prepare for the labor and not tear.

Brittany (Healthy slice of life)     at 1:32 pm

Once I hit 30 carbs souded delicious to me again- just like 1st tri, which is why I started tracking my protein again (to make sure I’m getting enough).

And you’re not alone- bowel issues are one of my biggest fears for labor!! I’ll let you know how it goes :) I can’t believe we are so close!!

Lisa     at 1:35 pm

My biggest fears are the tearing and pooping too. I already have decided to instruct Michael NOT to look down there at all when it comes time to get pregnant and deliver. I just don’t want him to have that image in his head. He needs to stay up by my head and hold my hand. :)

Julie (A Case of the Runs) Reply:

I’m going to ask the same!

Lisa Reply:

There’s just no reason for them to be down there! :)

Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete Reply:

See my comment below. Good luck with that. :)

Jackie @ That Deep Breath     at 1:35 pm

You look great! I can’t believe it’s already been 30 weeks, it feels like you just told us the news!

Balancing Sylvia     at 1:37 pm

You look so wonderful! I have to admit that my husband laughed at me when I told him the bowel movement during labor was one of my biggest fears. I’m not even pregnant and I’m worried about it. Your top is beautiful BTW

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 1:38 pm

I’m afraid of the same things for when I eventually have a baby. Not really scared of the pain surprisingly, but everything else on that list, definitely.

Kathryn     at 1:38 pm

So exciting! You look so happy and you sound very ready to be a mom :)

Kate     at 1:39 pm

I think for blog readers, pregnancies seem to fly by. I’m amazed at how quickly 30 weeks have passed! And I love your shirt in these pictures – so cute and summery!

RhodeyGirl     at 1:39 pm

1. I love your haircut! Or whatever you did with your hair in this week’s photo.

2. Also love your shirt! It’s so cute.

3. I’m still up 2 times as much weight as you. Boohoo!

4. Is one of those cross country visits for HLS?!

5. I am not a vegetarian, but chicken is suddenly grossing me out again as it did in the first trimester. I also find myself unhappy at meal time because there is nothing I want to eat yet I feel FAMISHED. Oh, and I get full after about 3 bites.

6. I can’t believe how fast your pregnancy has flown!! Soon your baby (and mine) will be here!

Lisa D.     at 1:41 pm

http://www.amys.com/products/product-detail/soups/000514 Amy’s alphabet soup scarily reminds me of spaghetti-o’s. in a good way. And I hope that you will cut up that butternut squash and post a delicious recipe!

Jen     at 1:41 pm

I can’t believe you’re at 30 weeks! You look amazing :)

Don’t be too scared of the pooping; everyone does it and the medical staff will clean it up so quicky that you might not even know it happened. So I hear…

Cindi Reply:

It’s true! I had no idea!!! I was mortified!

ColleenS     at 1:41 pm

You and your belly are so beautiful. Happy 30 weeks. Your two fears are understandable. I had them too, especially the pooping one – never happened though (thank goodness – but I peed a little). However, I did tear with my first and had to be cut for the other two – but that happens when you birth 8-10 pounders.

Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life     at 1:45 pm

Wow time does fly!!! You are looking great as your always do when you post these updates!!!! If I were pregnant I think I would have the same fears as your (vain or not!)

Lindsay     at 1:45 pm

I love your top!! Can you save your maternity clothes for me when I need them!?

Brad     at 1:46 pm

As a person who initially came to your blog for healthy eating options after going vegetarian for the first time since college, your blog over the last 30 weeks as been informative and inspiring to me. My wife and I had been trying to get pregnant, and your entries about your journey on conceiving gave me hope. Now we recently found out she is 6 weeks pregnant, and I feel more comfortable/informed on the road ahead by reading your pregnancy updates. Thank you, and best of luck over the next 8-10 weeks.

Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete Reply:

Congrats!!!

Katie KS     at 1:49 pm

Evening primrose oil is what you can massage on your whole area and up inside. I used it last time – planning to start this weekend again. I had only a first degree tear (but a baby w/ a 10th percentile head) and I did have an episotomy. Really it’s not horrible. He said he would either do a tiny cut on the side or I was starting to tear toward “the backside” which would be a whole lot worse. Where the cut was is a tad more numb than the rest of the area, and it may be what I notice on long bike rides (not sure but biking felt different post-childbirth). Anyway, I had friends with 3rd/4th degree tears that had really rough recoveries. I really recovered quickly with my episiotomy.

With the epidural I had no bladder control though, which was annoying until they catheterized me. But no pooping. Just try to go before you leave for the hospital!

Brittany     at 1:49 pm

Emily, I know you get tons of comments on all this stuff, and I usually don’t care to add to the craziness. But I feel led to say, don’t worry that what you eat will affect your childs taste. I was violently ill for the whole 9 months of both my pregnancies. Even water made me puke. I can’t tell you a single food I ever ate that stayed down. The result? My kids eat everything. My hubby and I firmly believe in exposing children to anything we are eating-and I like variety! Nothing is off limits to them and there isn’t food they won’t eat. Don’t worry about it so much. You are healthy. Worry about food aversions when he turns 1! :)

krista Reply:

I love this, thanks for sharing!

Courtney Reply:

Agreed! My mom gained 80 lbs with me and it wasn’t from eating. It was water weight (I was a 9 lb baby). She led a pregnancy filled with saltine crackers and an every-now-and-then-bean-burrito because it was the only solid food she could keep down. I am now a vegetarian and rarely eat a bean burrito.

Sometimes research studies make me laugh because they can be completely far-fetched and misleading. Emily, you look great! I cannot believe you are 30 weeks pregnant. Love your flowery top by the way. Be sure to get your fill of Jeni’s Ice Cream while in Ohio!

Lauren     at 1:51 pm

I am sure you will hear this from a million others, but when you are in labor (hopefully not for almost 24 hours as I was) the pooping thing will. not. matter. And I am someone who was really worried about it. I was also worried about being “exposed” (I am always asked to “scoot down” further at the obgyn). I told my husband not to tell me if I did it, so to this day I live in oblivion. I also asked him not to look at all….but he said there was no way he wasn’t watching his son coming into the world. :) In the heat of the moment, you just want to have the baby out so badly, you really don’t care. Plus, I think the nurses clean it up so fast you wouldn’t even notice.

I also had a third degree tear, but my son was 8.6 lbs. It honestly wasn’t horrible and that was my first time giving birth, so to me, that was just part of the process. Overall, it took me about three weeks to recover and feel “myself” again.

Jerrica Reply:

I agree that there isn’t much that you do care about once you are in labor besides getting the baby out! My husband and I laugh about the whole situation now, the pooping, screaming, moaning and the nurses telling me to “grunt it out”. WHAT AN EXPERIENCE! and like the nurses tell you-they have seen it ALL before!

I tore too but it heals up so quickly and you are so sore down there anyway so I didn’t think it was that bad either :)

krista Reply:

I agree with all of this! =)

Jamie     at 1:52 pm

I absolutely adora your shirt in the 30 week pictures!! Where is that from?

Jamie Reply:

*adore

Ashley     at 1:52 pm

Wow, this was a huge update!! That top you have on is gorgeous. Again you look stunning. Seriously! Your belly is also pretty..is that weird? It looks so smooth + tan. :) I would worry about pooping too! ;)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 1:53 pm

Wow, 30 weeks! I feel like I just read your post that you were pregnant! You’re due the same exact day as my best friend who lives 6 hours away so I feel like I can keep up with her through your updates :) Enjoy your shower this weekend!

christina cadden     at 1:56 pm

You look great!

Ashlyn     at 1:56 pm

Emily you look amazing! I cannot get over how great you look, and your glow is envious. I hope when I have babies I will have handled pregnancy as well as you have. I cannot wait to see pics of Baby C! You really have put to rest my qualms on a vegetarian pregnancy.

Kath     at 1:58 pm

Happy 30s!!!

Jenny     at 1:59 pm

Firstly – not saying this with ANY judgment. I’m not pregnant, never been pregnant, but do hope to be pregnant one day, so I’m really enjoying your posts on it. Anyway, I thought pregnant women weren’t supposed to fly in the final trimester? I Googled it, and clearly that’s not the case. Just out of curiosity, have there been any pregnancy myths that you’ve found were surprisingly false?

Cindi Reply:

I had always heard the same thing – but when I thought about meeting friends in NYC at 32 weeks pregnant – I quickly learned they only recommend you not flying your last month!

Erin Reply:

you aren’t suppose to fly past 35 weeks. Basically don’t want to risk delivering your kids somewhere other than home.

Crazy pregnancy travel tidbit though…. past 24 weeks you can not take a cruise. Just about every cruise line will not even let you board the boat.

Tasleen Reply:

Hi Emily,
I am an editor at a medical journal in Toronto, Canada; each month we publish “Motherisk” articles prepared by the Motherisk Team at the Hospital for Sick Children. A few years ago we published one on the safety of air travel in pregnancy. Here is the link:

Bottom line: it’s fine at 30 weeks! :o)

Army Amy*     at 2:03 pm

I learned what an episiotomy is in my hs child development class. Talk about birth control! That scared me away from wanting kids for years!*

Kelly     at 2:04 pm

I am so excited for you and can’t wait to hear all about your shower!!!

Ashley     at 2:04 pm

I wouldn’t be concerned about your eating influencing your little one’s tastes too much, with my first I could only eat cheese (colby at that) for a large part of it, and had a strong aversion to fruit the whole time and didn’t eat any fruit for months. At just over 2, my little girl almost lives on fruit, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, etc. My second is just 6 months, but I was able to eat fruit while I as pregnant with him, can’t wait to see how his tastes develop.

Good luck traveling back to Cincinnati!

Kimberly @ Healthy Strides     at 2:05 pm

Congrats on making it to the 30s! I hope the next 10 or so weeks are enjoyable. As far as packing, I had so much stuff in my bag and I didn’t use half of it. The one thing I would recommend is strapless swimsuit coverups that can act as jammies. It will make nursing (if you plan to) much, much easier.

Freya     at 2:09 pm

Wow, it’s gone so fast!! And 10 weeks to go!? I always look at women who are 6months pregnant and think they look ready to pop – I can’t imagine you growing even more, it’s mad!
You do have a pregnancy glow :-)

Erin     at 2:16 pm

Oh how you continue to wear pregnancy so well.

I had so many labor fears. I worried so much about tearing and needing an episiotomy that I made my husband give me a vag massage every night.It was far from romantic and looking back we laugh at the whole situation as I ended up with a c-section. Not my plan but I did avoid me fear of tearing:)

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen     at 2:22 pm

I’ve never been pregnant, and don’t plan to be for several years, but pooping is a bigger fear than the pain for me!

I looove your top in these pics. I wish it wasn’t maternity – I would totally want to buy it!

Callie     at 2:22 pm

1) I am so jealous of your beautiful belly. I had that horrid dark line running down the center of mine. Oh wait. Ten weeks later it’s still there (though fading.)

2) My husband was more worried about me pooping on the table than I was. So much so that he brought it up at one doctor appointment. Our doctor told us that is called a “Code Brown” in the business. I’m happy to say there was no Code Brown at my delivery. Or so they tell me.

3)My husband planned to stay “north of the equator”. As in passionately did NOT want to see anything happening “down there”. Let’s just say things don’t always go as planned. My husband ended up holding a leg and saw way more than he ever wanted to. Tell Casey to be ready for anything. ;)

Laine     at 2:23 pm

My sister had homebirths, and they said the midwife just quietly wiped away any poo that came out while they pushed. So, you might not even notice, and hopefully the nurse would just wipe it away and not make a big announcement about it.

Ann     at 2:29 pm

I have been loving your pregnancy updates! I’m 20 weeks now, obsessing about whether I feel movement or not yet, and was so comforted to read that you weren’t sure until after 21 weeks or so. I swear, the only way I’d feel like everything is ok is if I had daily ultrasounds. 30 weeks means you’re in the home stretch now!

Melissa T     at 2:31 pm

As far as flying… When I was 7 months pregnant, I went on a short trip for work. Flying out, no problem. But for the return flight, the gate agent informed me I was “too pregnant” to fly. In the ensuing argument, which involved getting a supervisor to join in, I was allowed to board the plane and fly home. It was all quite dramatic and if I had it to do over again, I’d carry a dr’s note that it is OK for me to fly.

And yes, I actually DID have a big ol’ pregnant belly, which didn’t help matters! :)

Kristen @ The Concrete Runner     at 2:41 pm

Aw, you look so cute! I just wrote a post on my biggest labor + mommyhood worries yesterday. However, pooping + an episiotomy are not on my list. Pooping isn’t because I know it’s pretty much inevitable and I have already threatened my husband he will die if he says anything about it (I’m loving like that). And, as I learned in my childbirth class last night, most physicians choose NOT to do episiotomies anymore because it is actually better for you to naturally tear. Also, one of the Bradley Method books I am reading says that even without drugs, you won’t feel it tear because the baby’s head puts pressure on those blood vessels, making it a natural anesthetic. But, if you are worried, talk to your midwife/doctor about it. Have fun at your baby shower this weekend! I’m DYING to have one but I still have another week!

Kristen @ The Concrete Runner Reply:

Oh, and I wanted to add after going back and reading some other people’s comments – I am having some of those same aversions as I did in the first tri. Fruit just does not sound appealing to me AT ALL, unless it’s in juice or smoothie form – or warmed up in oatmeal. I can’t just eat it plain, blech. I am WAY more exhausted than I was just a few weeks ago, and my nosebleeds came back. Awesome. Here’s hoping our last few weeks go better than the first few!

Kat     at 2:47 pm

Yay for week 30! I agree on pregnancy being humbling – the worst for me has been the (extremely stinky) gas that comes on without warning. I carpool an hour each way every day and every day I’m afraid we’ll have to do an emergency evacuation! lol :)

Louise     at 2:56 pm

You look great. I am only 22 weeks and I look huge. My big fear is a catheter. I really don’t want one.

krista Reply:

This might be TMI for some, but I’m 16 weeks with my second and during BOTH pregnancies I’ve had to catherize myself because my bladder kinks when full! This is only during weeks 12-18 so I’m hoping only 2 more weeks of this! I have other really random things that happen while preg, my body seriously hates it. haha

Amanda @ Cucina Amanda     at 2:56 pm

My sister-in-law told me that the baby can “taste” the food your eating! I was so shocked! Her husband was so worried about making their son like bar food that he begged her to eat food at the bars we would go to. Since she’s a vegetarian, there wasn’t much of a selection, but she always ate a few nachos. Funny thing….my nephew loves salty things and cheese!

erica     at 2:59 pm

Epistiotomies are pretty rare so I wouldn’t worry about that and (at least for me) the LAST thing I worried about while pushing was pooping. There’s too much going on and trust me, there is lots of other nasty stuff coming out and if you do, you probably won’t even know.

:) Good luck!

Amanda     at 3:05 pm

good post!!!! sorry to say i pooped right as it was time to push- but i had no idea i did my husband told me later!!!!! ahahaha!!!!!also i ripped a lil but that was nothin compared to the hemerroid i got after pushing, lol. all in all it is no big deal, there is numbing spray, pain meds n all and it will seem like no big deal once the baby is born. the most pain was the damn nurse pushing on my tummy afterward to make sure uterus was shrinking back down lol so no big deal.

Sharon Owen Reply:

OMG! I had forgotten about THAT!! You’re right– that was the WORST!

I tore front to back and while it took awhile to recover from that- there wasn’t any ‘long term’ effects.

krista Reply:

I forgot about the hemorroids! Yes way worse than my episiotomy.

Briana     at 3:07 pm

I’m a long time reader and pregnant too… Thought of you when I saw this today:

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous     at 3:08 pm

Another wonderful update. I love that top you are wearing!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga     at 3:11 pm

I just did a post on Gina/Fitnessista’s site yesterday on Prenatal Yoga and thought of you, and Gina, when I was writing it.

I am also a lactation educator and I can tell you that you don’t need much “gear” for nursing. You, a bra, some nipple balm perhaps (try the Motherlove brand) and a pillow maybe, and really, that’s about it. It can be pretty old school and low tech. Which I find works best for most women.

You’re getting soooo close. CONGRATS! :)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 3:16 pm

first up – that top is GORGEOUS on you!

And I had the same big fears about the episiotomy and pooping. The episiotomy stinks and could very well happen…but it heals and doesn’t hurt quite as bad as I thought it would. And if they offer an enema. Do it. LOL

Kevie     at 3:43 pm

Cute top!

Kerry     at 3:51 pm

Wow! I can’t believe how big he is already! You look fantastic in your flowery top!

Danielle     at 3:53 pm

Congratulations! You are a beautiful mama, and you look so healthy and glowy! (Made up a word!) It’s been so fun to watch each week. I’m a certified doula, so I looove reading about pregnancies. Best of luck in the final weeks–I know you’ll be wonderful during birthing. :)

Ang     at 4:21 pm

I was crazy worried about pooping too. Luckily (or unlucky) for me I had labor induced and was in the hospital for an entire day and half on clear liquid diet before any pushing happened. No food means no poo! :) I actually asked at an appointment and they said it’s very common but they are changing the little pads under you so quick after your water breaks that it doesn’t really matter.

Also I had a very large baby for my frame and I ended up needing an episiotomy to deliver. Everything turned out fine and healed without issue. I know they are outdated but I’m more afraid of tearing than being cut!

Audrey     at 4:21 pm

You look glowing and happy! :)

Christina     at 4:32 pm

Holy baby! I know I sent out a twitter message but I can’t believe he’s the size of a butternut squash! That’s insane to me! I know obviously babies have to grow to a certain size but when you compare it to food it’s totally different, at least to me lol.

And btw that shirt looks absolutely amazing on you!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine     at 4:35 pm

I just opened my computer and so far I’ve read Gina’s most recent baby post, this post, and seen on Facebook that my cousin just had her baby. It’s baby day, clearly!! I can’t believe time has passed so quickly and that you’re already getting ready for your shower- enjoy it!!

Kayla     at 4:57 pm

You look absolutely GORGEOUS in these pictures! Congrats on getting to the 30 week mark-so excited for you and Casey!!

Debbi     at 4:59 pm

I had to chuckle when you said about the toilet. I remember getting stuck in the bath tube about 3 weeks before my daughter was born. I just wanted to scoot down in the tube and enjoy a nice warm bubble bath – which I did, until it was time to get out and I couldn’t sit up. thank goodness my husband was at home!
These next few weeks will go fast so enjoy doing some things you may not have time for after little mans arrival – like napping when you want, rest up you have a full time job about to arrive!

Heathrr     at 5:00 pm

Yay congrats on the 30s! The best advice I got when I was pushing was to push like you are going #2 (no, I’m not 10 yrs old, I just didn’t want to sound vulgar) and I delivered in 3 pushes after that!! I had been pushing by trying to use my abs like a crunch or something! Totally wrong and it was so much easier once I knew the right way. I tore naturally (didn’t feel it till after birth) and I highly recommend an enema. I was SO scared of going to the bathroom! Even though that’s gross too, at least it’s private and not in front of your husband!!

Debbi     at 5:00 pm

Sorry, what the heck is a bath tube! I mean tub.

allpointswhole     at 5:05 pm

You are seriously so adorable! I remember when I hit 30 weeks, I felt like the end was truly in sight….anytime now!

suburban housewife     at 5:11 pm

You look beautiful but seemed to have gained so little weight in these 30 weeks!! I have no babies but I thought it was the norm to gain 25-30lbs?

Christine Reply:

In the last 10 weeks it’s normal to gain a pound or more a week so at full term Emily will probably have gained 25-26. I was at about the same weight gain at 30 weeks with my first daughter and ended up gaining about 25 pounds total.

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well     at 5:16 pm

One of my favorite foods is spaghetti and marinara with meat sauce, which is one of the foods my mom ate a lot of when she was pregnant with me!

She also went on a tilt-a-whirl and I have a hard time spinning in circles without getting super dizzy and sick!

Anne Weber-Falk     at 5:16 pm

I did not have any of those fears you listed but I did do some of them. I pooped! And I had a small episiotomy. This helped my little guy into the world a bit easier. It was also better than tearing. A straight incision is better than a jagged tear. A sitz bath really helped that area feel better. As for the pooping, well, what can you do…you gotta push and when you push you will probably poop. It’s natural, it’s normal and we all do it. No biggie. Besides, once baby C comes into this world, NONE of this will matter. Try not to worry about these things. Enjoy your final 10 weeks and look forward to meeting baby C.

Julie S.     at 5:20 pm

Have a wonderful time at your shower!! It was one of my all-time best days EVER! SO much fun!!

I did poop during childbirth, & the nurse just cleaned it right up – NBD. Happens all the time. During the following months, my husband & I cracked up more times over that than I can count! Trust me, by the time it’s all over, bodily functions will be the least of your concerns. Just wait ’til you become obsessed w/ the color of your baby’s poop! :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 5:22 pm

You look adorable! I’m pregnant with #2 and still have many of your fears. Totally normal. :-)

Kelly     at 5:35 pm

Cute shirt and haircut!

Kim     at 5:43 pm

Wow, it seems like your pregnancy has gone so quickly! How time flies… I can’t wait to see photos of the little guy! =)

Shari     at 6:00 pm

I feel like I JUST read your post announcing the pregnancy … it’s crazy how time flies. Enjoy every minute of the rest of your pregnancy!!

Megan @ On the Road Again     at 6:02 pm

Hooray for making it to the big 3-0! You look great! I’m really enjoying reading your updates as they give me something to learn from and look forward to (I’m almost 18 weeks today!)

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs     at 6:47 pm

You’re getting so close! Can’t wait to meet Baby C. I really love these pregnancy updates and I bet you’re going to appreciate them so much when you’re reminiscing <3 Also I loved your article about how what you're eating is what your baby is eating – I'm nowhere NEAR pregnant and already thinking about that! I want to form habits and routines that make my body ready for baby bearing, so I'm not trying to form healthy habits when it's too late!

Lindsay Loves Veggies     at 6:55 pm

In relation to your fear of not making it to the hospital in time: my boyfriend was born 2.5 months early in a helicoptor while being air-lifted from Bremerton to Harborview Medical Center. Despite some complications, and a while in an incubator, he’s obviously doing awesome today. :)

Meagan     at 7:04 pm

Again, I love your pregnancy clothes! That top is adorable and I wish they made it for us women who aren’t pregnant!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg     at 7:47 pm

You look so great!! I bet reaching your thirties feels like a huge milestone…and makes everything that’s coming up seem a bit more real!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 8:54 pm

You are looking gorgeous, as always! I always read that during the third trimester you should avoid common allergens, like peanuts – have you heard about that?

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 9:03 pm

You look amazing! Thanks for these posts, I love reading them :-)

Kellie     at 9:40 pm

I had the same fears and the poop happened! BUT, if you are like me, you wont even care. They are all used to it, and there is really nothing you can do about it. It does mean that you are pushing correctly! Once you are in labor, all these fears will probably go away. Plus once you have that baby in your arms, everything is totally worth it :)

Kate (What Kate is Cooking)     at 9:49 pm

I love your top!

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope     at 9:59 pm

Again, you look great and I also love, love, love the blouse!

Su     at 10:18 pm

You look so beautiful… And your arms look really tone!

Katy @ MonsterProof     at 10:21 pm

Glad you can still eat most of your food loves! I was bummed when I heard that news story. My 3rd trimester wasn’t UNhealthy, it was just pretty much all fruit all the time. Which…we’ll see if that makes for one picky little boy.

Staci     at 10:22 pm

You look freaking amazing. I can relate to the cereal and blueberries thing. I also was in love with frozen grapes. I just didn’t need variety at that point. :)

I had many of the same fears and although some of them came true, I survived and my OB/GYN still looks at me as though I’m human.

Don’t wish away these next several weeks. Enjoy that growing boy but mostly, the time you have with your hubby.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com     at 11:50 pm

You are one gorgeous looking prego mama :)

Nessa     at 1:18 am

I just started reading your blog a few months ago, I believe I came across it after searching for some healthy recipes ;) Anyway, I just wanted to say you are make a GORGEOUS pregnant woman, and I love reading your updates. You’re inspiring me to take better care of my body (which is HIGH on my priority list, I’ve got some major lbs to shed!) so kudos for everything you create and write! Best of luck the next 10ish weeks! :)

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)     at 1:56 am

You’re looking absolutely beautiful!

Elisabeth     at 5:18 am

I cannot believe you’ve entered the ’3′s already! It seems like just last week you told us you were pregnant & started journaling for the blog. Good luck in this last 10 weeks. I’m so excited to see baby C (and to find out what C’s name is!) :)

Brittnie     at 6:14 am

You look great…like a glowing momma! Love these fun baby updates :)

It’s crazy how time has been flying by as a reader. You continue to glow with happiness. I actually fear not arriving to the hospital on time over things like pooping. Just because if I have to poop and it comes out I know I won’t be the first or last. But I want to be as comfortable as possible in a nice hospital bed having a baby.

My biggest fear is that one day I will get pregnant and then end up having to have the baby on the side of the road because we couldn’t make it there in time. Yikes!

Shayla @ The Good Life     at 12:29 pm

I can’t believe you’re in your 30 week already??!! Time flies by so fast and it’s so very exciting he’ll be here soon!

And you’re so gorgeous and still glowing! Love love your top too, so beautiful. Where is it from?

Jamie     at 12:39 pm

I was really scared about pooping too- but it didn’t happen. The episiotomy is another story but it wasn’t really as bad as I envisioned pre-delivery. Couple of stitches that I didn’t even feel and I was so preoccupied with everything else going on, it was barely a blip. You will be fine!!!

mae     at 12:53 pm

Seriously go for the enema. And ask your midwife about the perineal massage. It can make a big difference!

Jen     at 1:19 pm

You look beautiful!!! Enjoy the last weeks of your pregnancy!

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites     at 4:38 pm

I cannot believe how far along you are already!! It seems like just yesterday you announced to the blog world the exciting news!!

You have continued to truly glow throughout it all!

I’m not pregnant and don’t plan on having kids for a few years (Though I am 29… I know pregnancy in your 30′s is tricky but I’m just not ready yet) but having a bowel movement or needing an episiotomy would be HIGH on my list too!!

Where did you get that beautiful shirt? It really compliments your skin tone!

Have a fabulous time at your baby shower! How exciting! :)

Noelle     at 5:01 pm

You will do great! One thing that I packed that I am SO GLAD I DID was a bliss travel pack with the little shampoo/conditioner and soaps. It was THE GREATEST, getting up, let alone taking a shower is a major accomplishment after having a baby and if I didn’t bring along some fantastic shower products I don’t think I would have had the motivation to do it. Taking that first shower made me feel a lot better to, so bring some fancy shower stuff!

Marie@feedingfive     at 5:55 pm

Emily I am so excited for you and your husband. I am also so jealous of your chronicled pregnancy. I think between my 3 kids I maybe have 5 pregnant pics. Was much too sick to think about it I guess.

This may sound crazy but I didn’t pack anything. My husband just brought me clothes to change into I guess. Weird because I am such an organized planner. Pregnancy just got the best of me.

Sara     at 10:43 pm

Just wanted to say, you look AMAZING! My gosh, you are glowing.

Renee B     at 12:34 am

10 more weeks! You look fantastic!

Lauri     at 10:16 am

Congrats on 30 weeks! Have you heard about using a doula? My sister-in law is one and my friend just used one for her birth. They are advocates for you before your labor, during your labor, and after. They come to your house, go with you to the delivery and do everything they can to try and help you stay comfortable. There is probably a Doula organization in Seattle. It is just another great resource and support. Good luck!

Natalie S.     at 11:32 am

You’re glowing, Emily! Baby Garnish is getting so big. Congratulations on being such a strong, healthy mama for him already :)

Yolie @ Practising Wellness     at 1:03 pm

You look so so beautiful!! And I LOVE your honesty and candid words :-) xyx

Lauren     at 5:20 pm

Wow, congratulations! You must be excited and nervous but you seem to be handling it well….. If it helps, I was a 30 week premie so your baby is coming later than me! :D

nora     at 7:58 pm

De-lurking to say that I haven’t checked your blog in a few weeks (I had a baby 11 weeks ago, so I’ve been a little busy :-)) but you look great! You’re truly glowing!

Marie Leinberger     at 8:22 am

Ive been reading the comments, and a doula was mentioned as a good option, and I cannot help but comment with a big “I second that!” I am a birth doula in Western MA, and Ive seen the amazing things that a doula can provide to laboring women. They are not there to replace a partner, or tell you what to do, they are there to support you and help you ask questions, keep you as comfortable as possible and be your advocate in a system that they are very familiar with! Its a great option, if you feel you might need a little extra support. Midwives and nurses pop in and out of the room, so its nice to have a person with experience with childbirth with you the whole time! Your getting so close, good luck! Your going to be a great mother!

Katie @ Real Food Katie's Way     at 10:48 pm

You look absolutely radiant! I love reading about your pregnancy journey!

lani     at 4:22 pm

Hi Emily!
Just wanted to say that you look gorgeous, and I am so glad to see everything is going so well. Best of luck with the last trimester.
:) Lani

Amykinz @ Foodie4Healing     at 10:00 pm

Super cute top! Love the ipad baby! You’re still so tiny!

dkqclujhta     at 9:14 am

hbDV3X cvnjmuvpxwca

Christie F     at 5:00 pm

Ha! Okay, I am so glad you posted that you fell off the toilet. I know that’s probably not what you want to hear, but being pregnant and going potty are so hard to do!

Hope your labor goes well and can’t wait to read the next update