Week 31: My Pregnancy Journey.

The thirties continue!  In every respect – emotionally and physically – I’m becoming more and more aware that the end is near.

How Big is the Baby?

This week, Baby C is weighing in at around 3.5 to 4 pounds, and almost 19 inches!  He is currently around the size of a large head of romaine lettuce!

Hard to believe he’s almost at his full birth height already. Now he just needs to fatten up!

I can feel him moving almost all the time now, and the movement ranges from way down deep in my pelvis, to high up under my ribs.  He is definitely taking up a lot of space!  Now that he is bigger, I don’t feel kicks as much as I do large pushes and protruding hard spots.

I am hoping that he is making his way down into the correct position, but have no way of really knowing until I see my midwives.  He is definitely hanging out on my right side, and most of the time I am totally lop-sided.  I think I can feel his little butt at the top of my right side, which makes me think his head is down.  Fingers crossed!

Check out the iPad baby – he is so BIG!

How I’m Feeling

The third trimester continues to feel a bit reminiscent of the first trimester, although nothing nearly that bad.  I’ve had a few bad bouts of nausea and food doesn’t really ever sound very appealing anymore.  No extreme cravings or specific aversions, but it takes me a long time to choose something to eat these days.

Up until now, even in the earliest days of pregnancy, I haven’t really felt the extreme fatigue that you hear about so much.  That has definitely changed in the past few weeks.  By the end of the day I am so exhausted I can barely hold my eyes open, and I find getting through the day without a nap to be quite the struggle.

Casey and I have been doing a nightly 2-mile walk with the dogs around our VERY hilly neighborhood, and by the end I am absolutely dragging.  The extreme hills are hard on my legs, and by the end I usually have some round ligament pain on my right side.  It’s good for me to stay active, but I’m definitely having to learn to slow down quite a bit.

As far as workouts go, I’m still heading to the gym and lifting weights 3 times a week, and I’m excited to get back to prenatal yoga this weekend!

As of today’s midwife appointment (more on that to come), I have gained exactly 20 pounds – right on track for this stage of pregnancy.  Up until now I’ve been using the numbers from the scale I have at home, but the scale at my doctor’s office seems to consistently put me 2-3 pounds higher.  From here on out, I’m going to go with their scale, and I’ll be weighing in every 2 weeks!

Buying For Baby

This was a particularly fun week for me and Baby C!  We took what I hope was our last cross-country flight, and headed back to Cincinnati for my baby shower

Now that the shower is over (sniff), I am ready to head to Babies R Us and Target this weekend and get the rest of the big items we still need.  I am into the hard-core nesting phase of pregnancy where I want everything to feel ready and settled, and I’m itching to finish the nursery as soon as we can.  I’m hoping to have a nursery update post for you guys after I finish a few more projects.  It is really coming together now!  Here is a sneak peek…

There are still a few key things that I need to research and decide on before I will feel truly ready for C’s arrival.  That list includes…

Ready or not, he is coming sooner than later!  Just 59 days left until my due date…

For more pregnancy posts and previous weekly updates, make sure to check out my pregnancy page!

Alicia     at 10:16 pm

you look great!!

Deva (Voracious Vorilee)     at 10:16 pm

How exciting! I can’t believe you are so close to having your sweet little boy! You look amazing – and I have been LOVING the produce baby comparisons – how fun!

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs     at 10:17 pm

Your belly looks lower! I love these pregnancy posts :) CAN’T WAIT FOR BABY C’S ARRIVAL!!

Heather     at 10:20 pm

I’m glad to hear the 3rd trimester nausea isn’t as bad as the 1st- I can’t imagine going through all that twice!

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 10:22 pm

Gah! You are a beautiful mama-to-be :-) So excited for you and Casey.

Maija     at 10:24 pm

you should go to Nordstrom to get fitted for your nursing bras! The girls in the lingerie departments are amazing at fitting and were SO helpful with my cousin when she needed her nursing bras! They stay in the fitting room with you making sure you’re going to buy the perfect size and bras for you. And I think they were started in Seattle? Such a wonderful store!

Brittnie     at 10:31 pm

I love your pregnancy updates! You seriously look like you are glowing in each photo. So exciting!

Kristen, Sweetly     at 10:34 pm

You are all baby! Have fun at your next prenatal yoga class, and hope the sick feelings get better soon.

Colleen     at 10:35 pm

You can definitely see him hanging out on the right and lower side of you in the last photo.

Katie KS     at 10:36 pm

I tried to look up my favorite nursing bra from JCP but they don’t seem to have it anymore. So sad. I got one cup size bigger than I was wearing during pregnancy and that worked pretty well (same band size) So it’s up a band size and 2 cup sizes from non-pregnant. But don’t buy too many til the girls settle down after a month or so :) You might also want to get a bigger sports bra. I actually wore two sports bras when I tried to do anything remotely “bouncy.” And like I think I commented before, the type of bra pad can make all the difference in the world between lots of pain and not so much. Best of luck. I think I finished the nursery tonight (wasn’t much to do) but still haven’t quite finished packing … Whoops.

Sally Mae     at 10:38 pm

I hope I look as happy and healthy as you in 6 weeks! I’ve been researching cloth diapers like crazy (like in the middle of the night when I can’t sleep) and I think I’m going to rent Kussaluvs infant size for the first 8 weeks and then buy Thirsties Duo and possibly Grovia sizes that will fit until potty. I just thought I’d share because there is way too much out there on cloth diapers it’s overwhelming! From my research those brands seem really great:)

sallymae Reply:

Sorry, I didn’t see your Bum Genium post. Those are probably great too!!! And, I meant Kissaluvs. :) I’ve also heard great things about the Elle MacPherson nursing bras, but haven’t personally tried them yet.

Tara     at 10:49 pm

We use the bumGenius 3.0 one-size and they are great, but my daughter is a heavy wetter, so we have had to buy thirstier inserts, hemp/cotton blend by Thirsties. Kelly at http://www.temerity-Jane.com has tried just about every kind of diaper on her daughter and has written several posts about using cloth.

Wendy     at 10:50 pm

Definitely recommend taking the CPR class…have had to do Heimlich maneuvers on both kids (separate incidents, years apart…hence my gray hairs starting!). Luckily my healthcare career mandates it anyway so was prepared. God forbid you should ever need to use it, but it’s always good to know…beats panicking and not knowing what to do! Best wishes!

Erica     at 11:10 pm

You look amazing!

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 11:11 pm

Glad you’re still able to chug along on your walks… and great that you’re still lifting!!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 11:22 pm

Your belly definitely looks lower and bigger since last time…getting so close! You continue to look amazing every week. I loved that white dress from your shower :)

Lisa     at 11:38 pm

What wonderful wonderful photos!!!! You must be getting so excited!

Jenn     at 11:40 pm

When I was born, my grandmother gave my mom a year’s worth of cloth diaper service for a baby shower gift. My mom still raves about what a life saver the service was, and this was well over thirty years ago. Just something else you might want to research :o) Congratulations!

mi-an d.     at 11:47 pm

you are so adorable!!!

Jessica S     at 12:19 am

We loved our pediatrician for the 3 months we were in Seattle after my son was born. Her name is Dr. Jessica Lindsay, and she is in the Nordstrom tower in Capitol Hill. I liked her views on alternative medicine etc. I can’t remember the clinic name, but you should be able to google her and read her bio on their website if you’re interested. Good luck!

Rachel Lindner     at 12:24 am

awww so exciting! I”m totally jealous of your belly – I’m 36 weeks along and and my tummy is so small. I’ve put on plenty of weight in other places, and while you can definitely tell I’m preggy, I feel like I’m missing out. We just moved into a new house last week, so I’m desperately trying to get all the “baby stuff” done before little Esther arrives. ahhhhhh!

Ashley     at 12:27 am

Your shorter hair is so pretty. :) I can’t believe another week has gone by. Time is fa-lying!! Sounds like you’re right on track and chugging along. xoxo

Michaela     at 12:27 am

I took the infant/child CPR class through the Red Cross a couple of months ago. They updated their curriculum recently and the new class is really pretty good. There’s a lot of hands on practice, and if it came down to it, I would feel reasonably comfortable performing CPR on an infant or child after only one class.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 1:10 am

Omggg you are such a glowing momma!!! I can’t get over how such a big (ya know considering its inside you) beautiful thing can be growing inside of tiny little you — I can’t wait to see the babbbyyy!!!

Danielle     at 2:01 am

I know you are probably sick of advice at this point and I’m sure you will find what works best for you, but I thought I’d share something that helped me get through breastfeeding. My first baby, a boy, was born in February and BFing was challenging at first. One thing that really helped ease some of my discomfort was Lansinoh nipple cream. Of the 3(!) lactation consultants we worked with, one was dead set against using anything for soreness– still dont understand why– but I truly wouldn’t have gotten through the first 2 months without this stuff.

Stay healthy, and enjoy your remaining weeks!!!

Chase     at 4:28 am

That is one good lookin’ belly!! :) can’t believe just 2 months to go!

Sarah     at 6:42 am

My doctor’s/midwives’ scales are always about 3 pounds higher than my home scales, too. What is that about?:-)
It’s so exciting to see your nursery and everything else coming together. Just 59 days until you meet your son? Ahhh. My insides are swelling with happiness for you.

sarah     at 7:12 am

Two more months of this? Good Lord. You look awesome, anyway! Loveya sweets!

Kat @ Big Apple Little Kitchen     at 8:22 am

Every time you do a weekly post, I can’t believe what week you’re at. 31?! Already?? Congrats! Baby C will be here so soon!

lauren     at 8:25 am

you look fabulous!!! How do you think huey & indy will adjust!?

Laura @ Starting Out Fit     at 8:41 am

You are looking so fantastic! I am so excited for you!! :)

Marie     at 8:50 am

You look seriously fantastic! That round belly of yours is a beautiful thing. I’ve been reading your blog since before you got pregnant, and I always look forward to your weekly pregnancy updates – so informative and honest. Very excited for you!

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat     at 8:50 am

Boob creams! LOL :) I agree with some other commenters, hard to believe how quickly the weeks are passing by. I’m sure you feel the same way. He will be here before you know it!

Nan     at 8:53 am

You look so great!! I love reading your weekly updates on Baby C. I always thought that you looked like someone else and I couldnt put my finger on it until I was reading People magazine yesterday and it hit me- you look alot like Pippa Middleton. Have you heard that before?

Dorsa     at 9:13 am

Wow you look amazing! I hope when I am in my third trimester I look as good as you :)

Madeline @ Food, Fitness & Family     at 9:17 am

That’s so funny – my baby chills on the right side too making for the lopsided belly. Haha. It’s so funny seeing one side all puffed out and the other empty ;)

I saw your tweet that baby is head down – woo woo! I am hoping my MW says the same thing about us on Tuesday … fingers crossed!

You look great :) Jealous of your nesting … we move cross-country at 36 weeks so I can’t nest yet. :(

Lizzie @TheMonthOfVegust     at 9:25 am

Emily, you look fabulous. I will be interested to hear how the cloth diapers go! How did you decide on using them?

Also, I thought Seattle was supposed to be cloudy all the time! It is always sunny in your pictures! (Which is a very good thing!)

Claire     at 9:28 am

Wow. You look amazing!

Elisabeth     at 9:31 am

You look really great – especially love that outfit :)

Kate     at 9:33 am

Pregnancy looks good on you! As a mother of three I have to share some of my favorites. You can’t go wrong with Madela products, having a nice pump is totally worth the money. Lanolin works great for sore cracked nipples. Nursing isn’t a walk in the park for everyone, if you encounter some bumps in the road, contact a lactation consultant. I gave up on nursing our first after horrible pain & mastitis. Smooth sailing with baby 2 & 3, just needed some info & support. Currently still nursing #3. I also decided to try cloth diapers with our third baby & have enjoyed the experience. I use BumGenius, & Cloth By Tel. My only regret was getting hook & loop instead of snaps; my velcro needed replaced after 11 months. Good luck nursing bra shopping, I never found a favorite.

anne     at 9:41 am

If you’re interested in checking out cloth diapers, my brother’s friend started her business. She interviewed tons of moms at her church and came up with a diaper that can go from birth to potty-training. All the church moms love them, and she used them on her own son. She makes them herself in CO. Here’s the link if you want to check it out: http://littleleafdiapers.com/index2.php#/home/

Aimee-las vegas     at 10:16 am

Look at you glow!! Enjoy this time and TAKE a nap. It’s not a lazy thing, it’s a health maintaining thing. :)
Look into Motherlove brand from CO. They work really well. I suggest them in my practice weekly.
Thank you for the updates. It’s so exciting to see a strong, centered, real Mama.

guzman127     at 11:49 am

you are the cutest prego girl in the world!!!

Jessica     at 11:51 am

Did you decide on whether you are taking a breastfeeding class? Breastfeeding is one of the hardest and most wonderful things I have done in my life. I remember very vividly with my first child the wondering if my baby was getting enough to eat (since she wanted to eat every.waking.moment-NORMAL), painful boobs (Soothies from the fridge and Lasinoh are a lifesaver), and feeling like I needed another hand to get her latched (for the first few days I had hubby help me hold her arms out of the way). http://www.kellymom is a fantastic resource, whenever you are about to quit, pull your hair out, or just have a question, people reply to answers very quickly on the forum. HUGE sense of support there.
http://www.diaperswappers.com is a great cloth diaper resource. I am cloth diapering my third daughter using Indian Prefolds and Prorap covers, my diapers have lasted through all 3 kids!
You are so cute and I am so happy for you guys!

Shayla @ The Good Life     at 12:14 pm

I second the above comment, you’re the cutest pregnant woman…still gorgeous and glowing as ever! :)

Love that glowing smile! These weekly recaps are so fun. I can’t believe how big Baby C is!

Brooke @ BittersweetBrooke     at 12:37 pm

You truly have that pregnancy glow about you! I have loved all the updates and info about your pregnancy. And I keep trying to think of baby C’s name…hmmm what could it be!?

Stacey     at 12:46 pm

you look SO good! :)

can’t wait to see little C!

Suzanne     at 12:55 pm

Your almost there! I just recently took a CPR/First Aid class for all ages and a portion of it was for infants and children. It was very informative and the infant portion was surprisingly quick! It is definitely something that could come in handy and really make a different. I did mine through the American Heart Association (cheaper than Red Cross) and it was very hands on.

Gina (Yogattude)     at 1:17 pm

Your hair looks fab! 59 days…that’s so soon…how exciting!!!

Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life     at 1:52 pm

Ah, how exciting! I can’t believe you are already 31 weeks! I’m just hitting the 4 month mark, but all of a sudden I feel like the weeks are flying by! My sister was super healthy in her pregnancy and gave birth at 34 weeks randomly when her water broke. Luckily her baby was almost 6lbs at birth and was very healthy! So you never know when exactly the baby is going to be here! I think once I’m 30 weeks, I’ll be in total nesting mode as you are. I will want everything done so I can just relax and enjoy the last few weeks of my pregnancy stress free!

Meagan     at 2:31 pm

As for boob cream, I really liked Medela’s Tendercare the best. Lansinoh is okay, but pretty goopy. I found that Medela’s was very smooth.

I liked Target’s nursing tanks. I wore them constantly for the first four months.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 2:33 pm

I love that you called it “boob cream”. :-) I bought one nursing bra before my daughter’s birth and it was too small. My boobs grew so much more than I expected after my milk came in. It’s so hard to know how much bigger you’re going to get.

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites     at 2:49 pm

It’s all happening so fast!!! You look glowing and gorgeous as always!

I saw your Twitter post that Baby C is in the right position… that is great news!

You set a great example for new Moms to be I am sure. Some day when and if I have a little one I’ll have to look back at your posts for tips haha Seems like you’re doing all the right things!

Jessica @ Jess Go Bananas     at 2:52 pm

So happy to hear that your pregnancy is going fabulously!

Natalie     at 2:57 pm

I am due about a month before you! My mom just recently mailed me a package with a bunch of products, including some breastfeeding stuff. The brand is Bella B and it is all natural, organic ingredients, which I thought you might like. They have nipple cream and breast wipes and a lot of other good stuff too, like sitz bath and perineal healing spray (whatever that is!). http://www.thefirstyears.com/bellab here’s a website that sells it! Like I said, the ingredients are great and it smells really nice too. They have stuff for baby, too! I just bought sleep nursing bras because a bunch of friends told me that they grew 2-3 cup sizes after their milk came in! I figured it’s better to wait and buy something I know will fit. The sleep ones seem more stretchy and comfortable for the first few days!!

Rachel     at 3:22 pm

I feel like your pregnancy has gone by so fast! I’ve enjoyed seeing the progression. After watching your pregnancy and hearing you openly talk about it, I don’t feel as worried about my own. I feel a little more prepared (though I doubt I’ll be completely ready until it actually happens!). I can’t wait for Baby C’s arrival, and to hear more about your journey!

Angharad     at 4:11 pm

You may well already read A Cup of Jo or have been directed to this post but seeing your remaining “to-do” list reminded me of her “What to Register for” post. I know you’ve already had your shower but it has great info on nursing bras, boob creams, cloth diapers,and more. Plus her general pregnancy/baby posts are so insightful!

Erin     at 4:15 pm

You look fantastic! :) I know you’re looking at bum genius diapers, but I wanted to share that I have been beyond happy with gDiapers in my cloth diapering experience. I use both their cloth and flushable/biodegradable inserts and like them both for my little guy. We don’t have leaks (at all, these things contain blowouts, too!), and washing and drying is faster since you don’t have to wash the covers each time, just the liner and insert. Also, no matter which brand you choose, I highly recommend checking out cloth diaper liners – these are like thick TP that lay on top of the cloth and make getting rid of poo MUCH easier since they can slide off right into the toilet and get flushed :)

Good luck and have fun nesting!!

Steph     at 4:45 pm

I started reading your blog when you were only a few weeks pregnant and I have to say you look your best in these 31 week photos! You are literally glowing with hapiness; you should be proud! My husband and I are currently on our 3rd month of trying for our second baby and your story gives me hope on days where I feel discouraged. Congratulations and I can’t wait to see what Baby C looks like!

Tricia     at 5:14 pm

a regular cpr class teaches you infant cpr and first aid is good to have too! I did it when i was in high school for a camp job, and I can’t tell you how much calmer I feel when something happens.

steph     at 5:25 pm

you are GLOWING! you look so happy and beautiful!

Sara     at 6:51 pm

Yay! I was wondering if you were going to cloth diaper. We use the BumGenius pockets on our 3 month old daughter and I love them! She’s long and lean with skinny legs and the fit her great. We did used newborn sized disposables until the fit her good though. We had blowouts withthe spouses by haven’thad one yet with the cloth diapers. Definitely take advantage of the BG buy one get one free. Sweetbottoms Baby Boutique also has free shipping and if you like them on Facebook they have a coupon code for 5% off. Not sure if you can use it on this sale though. A word of advice though-I bought a bung of diapers before my daughter was born and then realized once she was here that they didn’t work for her so I’ve switching over my stash and selling the others ….so I would suggest just getting a few of different types and trying them out to find what you like best. We found that with my daughter, cotton would irritate her skin when wet so hence the switch to the BG pockets with the stay dry lining. There are so many types so just do lots of research! :)

Sara     at 6:52 pm

Whoops I meant buy 5 get 1 free. Sorry for all the typos…on my phone :)

Aimee     at 1:08 am

i must say that you have to be one of the most beautiful pregnant women I have ever seen. You are glowing!!!

Stacy @ Stacy Eats     at 11:49 am

You look beautiful!

Kim     at 5:39 pm

You look amazing!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 11:21 am

Goodness you look great! Week 31 during my pregnancy last summer was where I sort of hit the ledge of enjoying pregnancy, to being ready for it to be over.

I started struggling with the Braxton Hicks contractions and what not about then. I hope you are still feeling great!

5 Pregnancy Side Effects I Have Somehow Avoided | Being Pregnant     at 12:58 pm

[...] In 31 weeks of pregnancy, I have experienced a wide range of pregnancy side effects – both the good, and the not-s0-good.  Some were expected – like fatigue and bigger boobs.  Others were not expected at all – like an aversion to hummus and brown speckle marks all over my cheeks.  But there are other side effects that I was expecting to get, and yet somehow haven’t experienced at all… [...]

Amykinz @ Foodie4Healing     at 9:59 pm

Just a suggestion on the boob cream… do not waste your time or money on Lansinoh cream. It’s sticky, stains your breast pads & bras and doesn’t work very good. Go right for the Motherlove cream. It’s natural & safe and goes on like oil! It’s sooo much better!

Sarah (A Runner's Heart)     at 3:50 pm

I know you have plenty of advice already, but I use Bella B Nipple Nurture Butter(ordered from Amazon) and I love it! It’s plant based instead of the Lanolin. It feels wonderful! lol…Also…I HIGHLY recommend the washable cloth breast pads…I didn’t see you mention them. People make homemade one’s on Etsy (I made my own out of fleece and flannel), but I also recommend buybamboobies.com. They are in heart shapes and are soooo soft! I haven’t tried the overnight ones, but know you will need something thicker for overnight. I will wake up and be completely soaked through the pad and my bra and have a nice pretty wet spot on the bed. I actually sleep on a waterproof pad now, just in case..You may want to look into that also…No one tells you that you leak that much! It’s Crazy! My little girl is only 2 months old, so this stuff is still fresh in my mind right now :) Have fun with the Cloth Diaper research! It is sooooo addicting! There are so many cute prints out there! I’ve ordered from a couple of WAHM’s (Work at Home Moms) and they make some cute one size diapers and covers! I just ordered a one size swim diaper from someone and it is so cute! And my DD can wear it for the next 2 years! Love that idea! :) Anyway…Have fun with it all! Being a mom is the best! :)