Weekend.

Good morning friends!  Thanks for giving me the weekend off.  It was our hottest one yet out here in Seattle, so I tried to take advantage of that and spend as much time outside as possible!

Greenlake park is my favorite place here in our new city.

2011-08-19 17.42.40 (640x480)

There is a three-mile trail that goes around the lake, and no matter what the time or temperature, it is always packed with runners, bikers, dogs, families, and more.  I try to do one loop every day, although these days three miles is getting slower and slower.

2011-08-19 17.42.53 (476x640)

The exciting new development this weekend was that we brought our dogs with us to Greenlake!

IMG_20110821_100945 (478x640)

Sounds silly and obvious, but this was actually their first trip there even though I’ve been doing the loop for three months on my own.  Every time I walk without them I feel guilty, knowing they would love the trail so much.  Unfortunately, they each have some personality quirks that make them a little high maintenance to take out in crowded public places.

Indy is the world’s sweetest dog on his own, always wanting to cuddle and be right next to you.  But for some reason he gets really weird around other dogs.  Our vet calls it “leash aggression” and I feel like he is a ticking time bomb around other dogs.  With SO many dogs at Greenlake, I have always felt too nervous to take him there on my own.

IMG_1908 (427x640)

And while Huey couldn’t care less about other dogs, there is nothing he loves more than the great outdoors.  When we do take him to a trail or any space that has wide open green or water areas, he gets so excited and pulls so hard that it can be difficult to control him, especially when pregnant and slightly off-balance.

IMG_1917 (640x427)

So up until this weekend, I have guiltily walked Greenlake on my own, and kept our dog walks limited to our neighborhood.  But Saturday and Sunday mornings, we were up bright and early, determined to give the dogs a chance and see what they thought of the lake.  At this point in my pregnancy, I can’t really walk the two of them together on my own.  So Casey and I each took one of them and hit the trail side by side!

IMG_20110821_101004 (1) (477x640)

I am happy to say it was a HUGE success!  The dogs loved the lake (not surprising) and were both so excited about their new adventure that they just minded their own business and trotted along with wagging tails.  Now that I know I can take my favorite boys to my favorite spot, I feel like a huge weight is off my shoulders.

We celebrated with my other favorite thing in Greenlake – Mighty O Donuts.

IMG_1934 (640x427)

They are vegan.  They are organic.  They are amazing.

IMG_1935 (640x427)

A delicious weekend treat.  Also please note, I am pretending that my belly button has NOT started sticking out.  So strange.

IMG_1939 (422x640)

Donuts and homemade iced decaf coffee.  Nothing better.

IMG_1940 (427x640)

High on sugar, I then began what I assume can only be called a massive nesting binge.  No surface was safe, no project untackled.

Saturday morning Casey and I headed out to the ‘burbs to go to Target and Babies R Us, getting everything else we needed to make us feel ready for Baby C’s arrival.  Many, many dollars and hours later, we returned with a car load of baby stuff that I was itching to organize and put away.

Also during my nesting spree, I decided to organize the storage areas (why not?) that have been driving me crazy.  I didn’t snap a before picture of this closet, but I can assure you it was a hot mess.  Now it is neat, organized, and even has extra room to spare!

IMG_1944 (422x640)

During my closet cleanout, I found a lot of things that had been hiding in there since we moved.  Artwork I had forgotten was there is now hung on the walls…

IMG_1941 (640x417)

And my office walls are finally a little less barren too.  I was so motivated to clean up and get organized that I actually hung these MYSELF.  I am proud to say that they are even level, and hopefully will not fall and kill anyone.

IMG_1945 (640x427)

While I was busy organizing our garage (priorities!), Casey came outside and surprised me with this…

IMG_1952 (427x640)

We are now officially ready for our baby boy’s arrival.  I would really prefer that he says put for 6 or 7 more weeks, but if he does decide to come early, we have a way to transport him home.  Huge checkmark off our list!

IMG_1954 (640x427)

The rest of the afternoon was spent vacuuming, scrubbing, folding laundry, cooking recipes, and organizing every surface in sight.  After a few hours of going strong, I ended up like this.

2011-07-30 11.38.08

I can’t hang like I used to, but that doesn’t stop me from trying.  Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

Girl In The Pink     at 1:13 pm

your blog always makes me miss Seattle – Mighty O donuts are my fav and I always used to run Greenlake! Jealous!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 1:13 pm

Isn’t it the craziest feeling to have a car seat in the car? I still grin every time I see it in the back of my car. I’m so excited!

I can’t hang like I used to either.. but I still try!

Such a small thing, but feels so BIG!

sara @ real fun food     at 1:19 pm

I’ve heard your belly button pops out during pregnancy … but does it go back in once the baby is born or are you an outie forever? :)

Katy @ MonsterProof Reply:

Yup, goes back in. Looks a little different, though. Mine’s…bigger? I guess? Stretched out.

Terrifying! :)

Ali     at 1:19 pm

You look so cute:)

Noelle     at 1:21 pm

Sounds like my weekend 2 weeks ago! I do not think I will have my belly button stick out since I had surgery but we’ll see. Can you send me a donut???? I have been craving them for weeks!

Kate     at 1:26 pm

Mmm, donuts. That is one thing I miss about living in a city — now that we’ve moved to a small town, our only donut option is Dunkin. :(

Our dog is a big time puller, and since she weighs about 175 pounds, that totally doesn’t fly. I use a gentle leader easy walk harness with her, and it has been a lifesaver! If you haven’t tried it, I highly, highly recommend it.

Woaaaaah 175 pounds?? What kind of dog?? We have tried the gentle leader, in addition to every other type of harness (prong collars, retractable leashes, easy walk harness, etc). Some are better than others but none of them really make much difference!

jen Reply:

My dogs the same way I thinks its because most of the time he’s off leash, we have no fence in yard and he comes when called. I found when I got a harness that hooks the leash on there back it has helped a lot, he still pulls put I am able to control him better hes only 52 pds but all muscle!

Kate Reply:

Yep, 175! She’s a year and a half old English Mastiff, so she’s still got some growing to do. (She is a big old baby, though.) It sounds like you guys could test harnesses like we could test dog beds –none of them survive our dog. NONE.

Brooke Reply:

I agree with the comment on the gentle leader. It took a while for me to see a difference, but once I did, I can’t even imagine going back to a harness.

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey     at 1:27 pm

Still looking adorable, Emily! And those donuts… Oh my. They look SO delicious!
Looks like a fabulous weekend. And trust me, I know what you mean about the pups. My Lilly has some similar issues. It’s great that they did so well!! :)

~

katherine     at 1:28 pm

I think the popped belly button means that you’re nearly fully cooked! What a wonderful weekend!

Kath     at 1:30 pm

I love nesting :)

Dan     at 1:32 pm

Great posts, Emily; keep ‘em up. If you’re concerned about Indy and Huey, a great book to read is “Cesar’s Way”, by Cesar Millan (aka the Dog Whisperer). It’s all about re-directing canine energy to positive outlets. Take care!

I have read it! I think we need Cesar to come to the house. These dogs are a case study in neurotic behavior.

Kathryn     at 1:38 pm

So fun! Looks like you got a lot checked off the list this weekend.

My parents have a little dog who is also the sweetest thing with people but gets very protective of us when other dogs are around. Since he’s small we can control him, but I understand why you’d be nervous with a bigger dog that gets aggressive, especially while preggo!

Cassie @ Back to Her Roots     at 1:39 pm

Our dog is the exact same way as Indy. Incredibly sweet, but as soon as she is on a leash with us and comes near another dog (or person, sometimes) she growls and snaps. It is like night and day. It’s a bummer because it can be hard to take her places that we know she’d enjoy.

Looks like you had an awesome weekend. :)

Exactly!! It makes me so sad to leave them at home when I know if they would JUST BEHAVE, they could have so much fun. Why don’t they understand that? :)

Rebecca     at 1:40 pm

I LOVE mighty-o doughnuts! I took my husband (a non-vegan/vegetarian) and he said it was the best doughnut he’s ever had. I would have to agree, my new mission is to try their doughnuts from 7-9am when they are hot off the press. yum!

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups     at 1:40 pm

Sounds like a productive weekend! You’re looking great, belly button and all!

Sarah C     at 1:41 pm

We have that same car seat and we LOVE it.

Looks like you had a great weekend. Cleaning is always such a destresser for me :)

Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete     at 1:44 pm

Yay for the Chicco carseat! You’ll love it. My husband just declared the inventor of it a GENIUS yesterday. :)

Glad to hear everyone loves this car seat!!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme)     at 1:48 pm

I think a trip to Seattle is in store literally just to try those donuts. Indy looks so cute, especially all snuggled up in that last photo. Glad to know he behaved on the walk! That definitely should make your life a lot easier and more enjoyable.

Sejal M     at 1:50 pm

OK, now you’ve got this 30 weeker craving doughnuts!!! LOL

You look great. My belly button never fully popped with my son it only became even with the rest of my belly, equally weird!!

Erica     at 1:50 pm

Vegan organic donuts from a store? Lucky lady!
So I’m 9 weeks pregnant and I bought that champion workout tank based on your recommendation. Even though I’m not showing at all yet, I started wearing it and I can’t wait to buy some more!

I’m glad you like it! I have bought a few more in bigger sizes as the belly continues to grow. :)

Chase     at 1:51 pm

I totally get it about the dog + trail + other dogs = crazy. Callie thinks every other dog is her long lost bff and it makes taking any sort of walk for exercise impossible! But we do it anyway :P

Innocent dogs like Callie are what scares me! :) Some poor friendly pup comes over for a sniff, and suddenly Indy is snarling and barking. So dramatic!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 1:52 pm

I want one of those donuts! Yum :) I’m wearing the same purple Champion tank right now. love that shirt!
Glad you were able to take the dogs with you this time. I get the guilty feeling too when I leave mine at home when I’m out and about.

Steph @321delish     at 1:54 pm

Oh my gosh, I LOVE the south Jersey shore map! Where did you get it? I’m from the Jersey shore, and would love to have that in my home!

I got it at a little shop in Stone Harbor, NJ! I grew up spending summers there. :)

Steph@321delish Reply:

Next time I’m home, I’ll have to go down there and find that shop! SH is only about 30 min (I think) from my parent’s place!

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 1:57 pm

looks like a fun weekend! and productive too :)

Ally     at 1:59 pm

My dog has leash aggression too.. he is an angel when he is off-leash (at dog parks, daycare etc.) but he goes a little crazy when he sees another dog on a leash. We took him to a (very expensive!) training class just for this purpose, and he is slightly better, though not 100% cured.. The trainer says it’s actually very common in dogs, where they want to go say hi to the other dog, but also have some fear, and because they are not fully in control of the situation (“barrier frustration”) by being on a leash, the just go nuts.

I also STRONGLY recommend getting a gentle leader. My dog hasn’t gotten used to it yet, but he can’t pull you while you are walking, and apparently it’s shown to calm down high strung dogs, so he is better behaved on a leash.

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 2:00 pm

A three-mile loop sounds wonderful! I’m typically going around 1 and 2-mile loops, so things get boring really quickly!

Chloe (In Fine Feather)     at 2:01 pm

Greenlake is also one of my favorite spots in the city. I love reading your posts even more now that I’m across the country – it makes me miss Seattle but I’m also happy to hear about you two enjoying your move out west :)

Reading (and chickens)     at 2:02 pm

Looking at that new baby car seat reminds me of my boys’ first car seat. It was a little different, though. Theirs was made out of duct tape, sprinkles and hope. Glad things are getting safer!

mi-an d.     at 2:09 pm

awww you are one adorable mama! just rest whenever you need to! :)

Maria@La_Piattini     at 2:13 pm

I’m glad you brought up that lake. We have a gorgeous place like that about 15 min away and for some reason we hardly ever go. I need to get back out on that trail!

Kristen     at 2:17 pm

Its crazy, I feel like time has flown since you got pregnant! So excited for yall.

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life     at 2:22 pm

I love those maps on the wall! I grew up in Jersey, so it holds a special place in my heart. I thought the second one was South Carolina (where I live now), I had to do a double take. Maps are such an easy (and cheap) decorating tool. Now I’m in the mood for donuts.. mmmm. I need a donut pan ASAP!

katie     at 2:26 pm

I just stumbled upon your blog and love it! I just had my first baby in May so I can relate to all you are feeling! His name is Charlie (I wonder if that is your C name?) Good luck with everything, its wonderful!

Jen Correa @ Mom's Gotta Run     at 2:33 pm

If you are still nesting, feel free to come to my house. There’s lots of organizing therapy here for you. :)

Kelly     at 2:34 pm

hehe, my belly button has been popped out for almost a month, and I’m a few weeks behind you. I’ve heard if you wear the ‘over the belly’ maternity pants, it will hide it, but I kind of like it showing :) Almost like saying, “Yup, I’ve got a big pregnant belly. Get used to it, people!” :)

ColleenS     at 2:36 pm

I need some nesting in my life right now…

Kelly     at 2:42 pm

My belly button never did go back to looking right. I hope yours does!

And now that you put the carseat in you know you will go overdue, right? ;) Totally kidding of course, we are just never that organized. We are more “throw it in the car on the way to the hospital” type people. And we have the same seat and love it too.

Christina     at 2:43 pm

Oh man my dog is the same way! It can be so hard to take her out for a walk because I’m so scared she’s going to go hay wire on some other poor dog. Mind you she’s a small dog, like 11 lbs lol! I need to break out of that shell for sure. She’s SO spoiled though, yikes!

And yay to a car seat! Looks like with all the baby shopping, cleaning and car seat assembly you definitely are in the “nesting” stage and getting ready. :)

Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life     at 2:52 pm

OMG those donuts are making my mouth water. They are the most beautiful things I have seen in a long time (haha can you tell it has been wayyy to long since my last donut!)

alex     at 3:00 pm

I love Greenlake! I did the majority of my 1/2 marathon training there. Might-O is delish! I also love Zoka coffe, and Kisaku for sushi..all right in the neighborhood!

Melissa     at 3:02 pm

My dog has crazy on leash aggression too. It’s so annoying sometimes when you just want to take him to the park. Although, I do appreciate it running in the evening. No one messes with the girl with the crazy dog.

I’m glad Indy acted right!

Kari     at 3:02 pm

I’d be asleep too after all that work – and I’m not pregnant. It looks like you’re really well-prepared. Just a few more weeks!

Alaina     at 3:20 pm

Oh vegan donuts looks so good! Do they have a more dense flavor or are they pretty similar to regular donuts?

Jen@foodfamilyfitness     at 3:35 pm

I had that carseat for my youngest, loved it!!!!

Amy     at 3:37 pm

I love Greenlake Park too! Whenever I am in Seattle, I ALWAYS make time for Mighty O Donuts and a walk around the lake. Just wait until fall arrives and Mighty O has their seasonal pumpkin donuts!!

Lara     at 3:40 pm

We walked Greenlake this weekend with our pups, too! How funny! I wonder if we saw you there. We went on Sunday afternoon.
I know exactly what you mean about leash aggression. One of our pups freaks out at not just other dogs, but skateboarders, cyclists, and sometimes even runners. Yikes!

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family     at 3:48 pm

WOW! You were super productive and I can remember having those feelings of “needing” to get everything in order prior to arrival.
I hope you recovered from your whirlwind and squeezed in a Ballard’s market hot dog from Field Roast.

Shaya (Eye Girl Eats)     at 4:01 pm

First, I LOVE Greenlake. it has soooo many cute doggies and is always so

Shaya (Eye Girl Eats)     at 4:04 pm

oops! got cut off. it’s always so packed with people on sunny days!

Secondly, your belly is cute, even with the outie! :)

Thirdly, I am amazed at how much energy you have! from everything I’ve heard/seen, ladies as far along as you complain of more fatigue– and yet you are running circles around everyone! That’s good news :)

Kerry     at 4:19 pm

Baby car seat!! Ahhh its getting super real!

Kristen, Sweetly     at 4:47 pm

glad you got the puppies out for the gorgeous walk! don’t feel guilty. you deserve beautiful walks too, and pregnant off-center emily probably shouldn’t wrangle the puppies alone.

mighty-o got added to the list for my seattle trip! (although, i just added st. john’s as an alternative destination for early november. they pretty opposite trip ideas, haha. both sound too good to pass up.)

Kelly@foodiefresh     at 4:56 pm

I don’t know what’s sweeteer — Casey’s suprise or you cuddled on the couch with your dog.

I also think it’s incredibly weird that pregnant ladies’ navels stick out, but it seems to be a pretty common thing.

Gina (Yogattude)     at 5:13 pm

I did a lot of the same this weekend…organizing and a fun walk around Green Lake with Mickey. He needed new running shoes, so we went to the roadrunner and after much $$$ later, we got gyros nearby (there was some talk of Mighty O, but deceided we were too full!)and took a walk. There was some great people watching Sat afternoon!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 5:25 pm

Gosh doughnuts and iced coffee sound good right now! Looks like you had a great weekend. I can’t believe you only have that short amount of time left! I’m so excited for you two!

Jessica @ Jess Go Bananas     at 5:31 pm

Great post! I would do the same if I did all the work you did! Such a cute pic!

Sana     at 5:39 pm

I am happy you could go for a walk with all your boys!

Lisa     at 5:51 pm

What a wonderful weekend indeed!

Ellen     at 6:18 pm

You’re such a beautiful mother! I’m so excited for you and Casey to bring this little one into such a beautiful, loving family! :)

Army Amy*     at 6:47 pm

My dog, Geronimo, is kind of quirky too. (I call him the Screech of the dog world.) I’m glad taking your dogs out was so successful!*

Liz A     at 7:04 pm

LOVE that shirt! (first picture) So cute. Also, those donuts look divine.

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy     at 7:58 pm

THose donuts look amazing. Dogs definitely have their own quirks! Missed having you at HLS, but as others have said, you were there in spirit.

Carla @ I Run, You Run     at 8:29 pm

There’s a HUGE dogpark near Seattle that my husband’s sister takes her dogs to all the time. You have to bring your dogs there! I was used to the Shirlington dog park being a big deal, so that one just blew it out of the water!

Cassie @ Naturally Cassie     at 8:32 pm

I love that you are staying so active during your pregnancy. It truly is inspiring!

Kristen @ The Concrete Runner     at 9:05 pm

Embrace the belly button! I’m so incredibly jealous mine hasn’t popped yet! Also very jealous your car seat is in! Mine is still in the box! Take it easy girl – these last couple of weeks are going to be exhausting!

Laura @ southern girl bakes     at 9:14 pm

Wow, those doughnuts look awesome!

My dog is leash aggressive and pulls a lot… and he’s only 22 lbs! I can’t imagine what it’s like with your dogs – especially when you’re pregnant! I went through everything with him – different types of harnesses, collars, a head collar, training… The only thing that has stuck has been remote collar training. It’s a tens unit, not a shock collar, that buzzes him to get his attention. He’s literally a different dog when he wears it, and by the end of his six-week class, I rarely had to hit the remote on walks.

Karis (Karis' Kitchen)     at 9:20 pm

Love the Recipage shirt you’re wearing in the second photo :)

Balancing Sylvia     at 9:34 pm

I’m glad you had such a great (and PRODUCTIVE) weekend. It’s so awesome to see you so active too. I hope you’re able to keep it up.

side note – Have you and Casey tried the halti with your dogs? It’s magic with my boxer. I adopted her at age 7 so needless to say training has been difficult but NOT impossible. The halti turned her into the perfect walker. There are lots of videos on youtube, if you want to see what it is.

Angela (Oh She Glows)     at 10:17 pm

‘nesting binge’ love it!

I love the sleeping picture. So cute :)

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 10:24 pm

Oh the nesting binges…..such fond memories of cleaning past midnight like superwoman, scrubbing floors, organizing rooms, putting together furniture and such. hehe

Oh and note to self, it doesn’t stop after the baby is born. Avery is almost a year old and I’m still nesting!

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed)     at 10:31 pm

What a fun weekend! And those doughnuts looks amazing. :)

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me     at 10:40 pm

haha you guys are super cute. I absolutely love the art you put up!

Kiah     at 11:14 pm

haha, LOVE the last pic–I often end house chores that way :-)

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions     at 11:19 pm

Soo since those donuts are vegan and organic, that means they’re totally healthy, right? I’m pretty sure that’s how it works at least…haha.

Jackie @ That Deep Breath     at 11:28 pm

So crazy to see everything coming together! I’m so excited for you, congratulations!

Kait @ One Love Run     at 12:20 am

What a perfect and productive weekend!

Emily @ Life on Food     at 5:59 am

Can you nest when you are NOT pregnant? This sounds like a great weekend to me.

Kat @ Big Apple Little Kitchen     at 8:44 am

You’re lucky to live so close to such a beautiful lake! I’m glad the dogs behaved!

Erin     at 9:35 am

Sounds like a wonderful weekend!! One of my dogs got a little leash aggressive when I got pregnant, and it started even before I began showing. She did NOT want any strange dogs coming near HER person! She is the sweetest girl, just makes a big fuss :)

Sarah     at 10:21 am

You should watch the dog whisperer. He is a genius! I really think his way is the only way. I have learned SO much from watching his show.

Meredith Snyder     at 12:29 pm

Those donuts look sooo good. Awesome they are vegan!

allpointswhole     at 12:34 pm

That is a nice treat and I love Chico..its what we have

Mollie     at 1:03 pm

Ignore my question if this is too personal, but are you guys planning on still having one car after the baby arrives?

p.s. currently eating reheated Daily Garnish brocolli/cheddar soup. :)

Sorry for the delay – yep, still just going to have one car! Casey takes the bus to work, so I have the car with me during the day.

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 1:13 pm

How exciting that you’re getting so close to the baby’s arrival that you can put your car seat IN your car to have it ready for him! :-)

Marie Ortiz     at 2:43 pm

Hi Emily,

I recently became a reader of your blog, which is phenomenal. The recipes are great, and thank you for sharing your experiences of personal fitness, (even while pregnant). It makes the idea of having children when the time comes alot less intimidating.

Your move is also very inspiring. I’m in the midst of relocating to Austin, TX with a large dog as well. He actually looks exactly like Indy, even down to the white tip on the end of his tail. Same color, and looks to be the same weight and build. The only difference is that he has dark rings around his eyes, like a raccoon, which is why he’s called Bandit.

Can I ask you type of dog is he? Bandit is a rescue, so we’re not too sure what breed he is.

Also, when doing research for your move, did you come across any info on how to transport a large dog by plane? We’re not driving down…we’re in NJ now. Thanks for any info! And pleased to meet you!

Hi Marie! Indy is half German Shorthaired Pointer, half Labrador Retriever. He weighs about 50 pounds! Don’t know if your guy might be something similar. As for flying with them, we drove our dogs because we knew they would not tolerate flying well. But I did look into it – every airline is different. You need an airline regulated crate, and I believe it costs $150-$250 to fly them depending on the flight. Good luck with your move!

Marie Ortiz Reply:

Thanks so much! I looked at pics of that cross of dog breeds, and I’m convinced Bandit is exactly that! It’s good to know…we were SO curious and had come with elaborate stories as to what he might be.

Thank you for the info on transporting a dog via airplane. You wouldn’t have a recommendation for a moving company would you?

We used Allied Movers, and had a decent experience.

Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life     at 2:50 pm

Looks like you are all ready for Baby C! I love cleaning and organizing and always feel so much better once little tasks and chores are over with!

Week 32: My Pregnancy Journey. | Daily Garnish     at 3:32 pm

[...] but I am definitely more limited week by week.  Casey and I have been taking the pups for our daily walks at Greenlake, but three miles is starting to feel much longer than it used to.  On several occasions I’ve [...]

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat     at 9:18 am

I love the pic of you and your doggie napping :) Have a wonderful weekend!

Carisa @HappyHealthyEating     at 4:19 pm

I live in Chicago, but one of my best friends lives in Seattle. I’ve been out to visit her a few times and absolutely loved running around Greenlake! It’s one of the many reasons I would definitely think of moving to Seattle! I also love your blog!! :)