For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Fremont Weekend.

We had such a nice weekend!  Friday afternoon I drove way up to Babies R Us to pick up the glider that we ordered over two months ago.  I probably a little too excited about picking it up.  Once I got it back home, I made Casey drop everything and help me get it into the nursery so we could see the room finally completed!

2011-09-16 18.36.34

I am in love.  I texted this picture (along with “the glider is here!”) to a few of my friends and family, and not one person responded with any sort of reaction about the chair.  Every response I received was “Look at that BELLY!”  I guess that is to be expected at this point.  :)

While we finished up the nursery, we hung out in there for a bit just seeing it all come together.  Casey decided to test out the sleep sheep, which is supposed to make soothing sounds to lure our baby to sleep (let’s hope!).  Unfortunately Huey decided it was the most terrifying thing he had ever heard, and had to literally be dragged into the room.  So much for being the brave big brother!

2011-09-16 18.45.49

I really want the dogs to think the nursery is a fun and safe place to be, so I’m working on trying to get them in there and let them explore now before it is actually occupied.  Over the course of the weekend, I did a lot of this…

2011-09-16 18.36.11

I know there will be plenty of time spent in there soon enough, but I just can’t help myself.  I’m way too excited.

On Saturday, Casey and I took the dogs to their first dog training class.  Surprisingly enough, the trainer seems to think they are most definitely trainable, and gave us some great tips and tricks for helping them learn some better behaviors.  Our number one goal is to get them to do controlled leash walking.  As it is now, the pulling and tugging cannot continue!  They pull so hard that I can’t safely walk them by myself (while pregnant), which is hard for all of us.

Saturday afternoon I met some friends for frozen yogurt and a walk, and that night Casey and I had a date at Revel, our favorite restaurant in Fremont.  We walked home in the rain and warmed up under a blanket watching a movie.  It was one of those great days with no plans, no pictures, and no worries.

Sunday we woke up and discovered we had no power!  Apparently there were about 4,000 people in our neighborhood with the same issue, so we sought refuge at Starbucks for coffee and wi-fi.  After a few hours, I was itching to get away from my computer, but Casey still had more work to do.  We headed over to Greenlake so that he could work at Starbucks, and I could go for a walk.

2011-09-18 12.50.46

It was one of those perfect fall weekends where the air was cool, but the sun still peeked out occasionally.  I pulled out my corduroys, long sleeves, and one of Casey’s puffy vests (which fit over the bump!), and headed out for a solo 3-mile lap at Greenlake.

2011-09-18 13.06.16

On a warm, sunny day this area is literally packed with people swimming, sunbathing, and picnicking.  I was amazed that with just a slight drop in temperature, the lake was all but empty.  Fine with me though – I liked having it all to myself.  :)

2011-09-18 12.51.04

I walked along and thought about how happy I am right now, and how lucky I feel for all the things in my life.  On certain days Seattle feels very, very far away to me, and I can’t help but feel sad that we aren’t closer to the people we love at this exciting time in our life.

But this was not one of those days.  On Sunday, I felt nothing but gratitude to live in a cool city, to be able to go for a relaxing walk, and to have people in our lives that love us, no matter how far away.

2011-09-18 13.05.19

Just as I was walking along and thinking about our new life here in Seattle, I realized I recognized someone!  Lacey was sitting on a bench waiting for me – she had spotted the bump and the pony tail from another point on the lake, and stopped to wait so we could walk together.  I guess I am pretty easy to identify these days…

2011-09-18 13.05.10

I know very few people here, so it was really fun to run into a friend and have someone to talk to as I finished up my lap.  I ended up walking about 4 miles and felt VERY sore afterwards.

We finally returned home around 3pm, just as our power was coming back on!  I took advantage of the electricity and decided to spend my evening in the kitchen.  But first I headed a few blocks away to the local grocery store for a few missing ingredients.  On my way back, I walked through the farmers market and scored a gorgeous bundle of flowers!  Carrying my groceries home and walking through the market made me appreciate that we have so much right outside our front door.

Gorgeous flowers to make me happy all week long.

And only $7 for the whole bunch – insanity.

Another thing that makes me happy?  Shopping in in the bulk bins.  Something about scooping and bagging my food, and then transferring it all to my little jars back at home gets me way too excited.  I’m easy to please.

There was a coconut oil explosion incident during dinner prep…

But luckily it was worth it for the final product.  Recipe coming up next!

Another great weekend in Seattle, and one of our last as just us two.  Hard to believe!

Emily     at 6:22 pm

Looks like a wonderful weekend! Excited for that recipe and to see what you do with the cornmeal; I bought some this summer and have no idea what to do with it!! I need a gluten-free or gf-adaptable idea :)

You are in luck! I made GF cornbread, but the recipe needs another trial or two before it’s ready for posting. Hopefully later this week! :)

Emily Reply:

Awesome!!! Can’t wait :) Take your time, I won’t be in baking mode until the weekend at least!

Liz @ iheartvegetables     at 6:37 pm

You look so lovely! And I can’t wait to see that recipe!

Kath     at 6:48 pm

That IS quite the bump in that first photo!

And poor Huey was spooked. He’s so cute.

Christine @ BookishlyB     at 7:47 pm

I’m really interested to see how your dogs do with the baby. I have two (a Golden and Chocolate Lab) and while I’m not pregnant now, it’s not too far off. I worry about their crazy playing and need for attention…

Lu @ A Mix of it All     at 8:09 pm

I can’t wait to see your recipe. Now, if only I could get some cold weather to go along with a warm dish. I love the nursery, it looks so peaceful.

Nicole     at 8:45 pm

Your attitude is wonderful! I love it! :)
Your belly is beautiful!!! The glider is cute too!

Emilia @ Namaste Gurl     at 9:25 pm

Looks like a wonderful and busy weekend- I did much of the same things. Farmer’s market, grocery shopping, walking and some much needed R+R . I totally agree with you, it doesn’t take much to make me happy either. A simple home cooked meal and beach walk certainly pleases me :)

Can’t wait for the recipe, looks delicious. If I’m correct it’s lentil chili and cornbread?

Miranda @ Living One Bite at a Time     at 9:45 pm

Make sure you get plenty of practice sitting in that glider before the baby comes! I was sitting with a baby on a glider once with my feet up and because I wasn’t used to it, I fell with him in my lap on the floor in between the foot part and the chair part!

It was probably one of the scariest moments of my life because he was a newborn and it was one of my first times ever babysitting – I really thought I was going to hurt him, but I was able to catch all the impact on my own body, shielding his from the floor.

I haven’t sat in one of those things since!

Erin@Just Breathe     at 2:28 am

I love your nursery and I love your farmers market trip… you look so happy and beautiful!

Erica     at 6:30 am

I’m not sure if anyone mentioned this in the comments, but I highly recommend a Gentle Leader or Halti for your dogs. They are kind of like a horse’s bridle (not a muzzle) and make it uncomfortable for a dog to pull ahead because it turns their head to the side. We have a pit bull / lab mix, so she’s a very strong dog (even though she’s incredibly gentle) and it was nearly impossible for me to walk her. Once we got the Halti, I was able to walk her without pulling (even if there are squirrels/birds/cats around). I agree that training is also a great tool, but if you want some help walking the dogs now, look into the Haltis/Gentle Leaders.

Hi Erica! We have tried the Gentle Leader before. Unfortunately our dogs don’t want to be gently led. :) I think we have tried the Halti too! Hopefully our new trainer can give us some tips to make walking more fun for all of us.

Erica Reply:

Your boys must be tanks :) Or just very ‘motivated’ walkers! Hopefully training goes well for you guys!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 7:11 am

I seriously need to get a glider. When I was pregnant I searched for an old fashioned rocking chair and when I found one my hubby freaked out saying it was too rickety and so I never got one. But after nursing a few times in the church nursing room with a glider I now realize I should have been going the direction all along!

Jules     at 10:42 am

I ADORE your nursery (and also your enthusiasm for fall, which apparently somehow rivals mine)!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 4:58 pm

What a beautiful nursery!! I’m so excited for baby C to be able to use it!!

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 9:12 am

The glider looks too comfy :)

Monica     at 6:11 pm

I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve the nursery! It looks amazing! We set up ours (finally!!!) this weekend and I cannot wait!

There is something very gratifying about filling up the Ball jars from a bulk bin trip. :)

Gabrielle     at 11:04 pm

I noticed your belly, of course, but the glider looks so comfortable, and with an ottoman too, wow. The whole nursery looks great. You guys are so prepared, I am so excited for you – can’t wait for the post letting us know he’s finally here!!

running shoes