Lessons Learned From Pregnancy.

In my prenatal group appointment this week, one of the things we were asked was, “how has your pregnancy been different from what you expected?”  It was an interesting question to think about, and as I came up with my answer, I realize that so much of my pregnancy has been different than I could have ever initially imagined.

Let me count the ways…

My Body

As much as I was excited to be pregnant, I can’t lie and tell you that I was pumped about all the changes in my body that were inevitably coming.  There have certainly been moments (particularly in early pregnancy) where outgrowing my clothes and seeing my shape change was difficult.  But now that I sit here with a giant belly in my lap, a glow in my cheeks, and new strength in my legs, I can honestly say that I am totally in love with my pregnant body.

While getting fit and working hard to lose weight in the past definitely made me feel great – both inside and out, I have discovered that pregnancy has given me more body confidence that I ever knew I could have.

My Mind

One of my biggest demons has been battling panic and anxiety for the past ten years or so.  I was really worried that pregnancy would bring out the worst in this, and that I would obsess over every twinge, pain, and potential thing that can go wrong.  I thought I would be the one calling my midwife each week with a new question or worry I needed to have eased.  Surprisingly enough, in 37 weeks I have never once called my midwife office.  I have learned to trust both my body and my medical team, which has allowed me to relax and enjoy the bigger experience, rather than fret about all the small things.

My Relationship

I make no secret of the fact that my husband and I are incredibly close.  But being pregnant has changed the way I see him now.  He’s no longer just my husband and my partner.  He’s going to be a father to my kids, and something about that makes me all mushy and teary every time I think about it.  One of the things I look forward to most is seeing him hold his son for the first time.  Gives me goose bumps.

My Workouts

2011-08-02 15.04.23 (481x640)

I knew that my activity level would obviously change during pregnancy, but actually experiencing it has been quite different from what I expected.  These days I consider a three mile walk to be an awesome physical accomplishment each day, whereas a year ago I wouldn’t have even considered that to be exercise.  And while I’m really looking forward to getting back into my running shoes soon enough, it has also been a nice lesson to me that workouts don’t all have to be back-breaking and intense.  It can be just as effective to slow down sometimes.

My Symptoms

Going into pregnancy, we hear so much about all of the horrible symptoms we should expect.  While I had my fair share of awful morning sickness, beyond that I have really felt great through this whole pregnancy.  Maybe it is all over-hyped, or maybe I just got lucky – who knows.  But my symptoms beyond the first trimester have been minimal, and I am most definitely grateful for it.

My Confidence

This sort of goes hand in hand with the others, but I think the biggest lesson I’ve gained from pregnancy is just to trust and believe in myself.  I have read books, magazines, and websites, and have educated myself as best as possible.  A year ago I’m not sure I would have felt ready or responsible enough to imagine caring for another small life.  But with just a few weeks left, I can confidently say that I am most definitely ready to be a mom.

Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life     at 11:45 am

I get teary when I think about my husband holding his baby girl for the first time too! I can’t wait to experience that moment!

Amanda Perry at Sistas of Strength     at 11:52 am

Great post! I feared many of the same things when I was pregnant and found it to be an amazing experience. I loved experiencing all of the changes that my body went through to grow a little person. Now, taking the weight off…that’s not exactly as “fun”, but it’s so minor when you look into the eyes of your little guy/girl. :)

maria @ a life to Bragg about     at 11:53 am

You’re so close! I can’t wait, I’m super excited for you :D And I get mushy when I think about my husband holding his son for the first time too :) Unfortunately that won’t be for awhile because the Army haha.

Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete     at 11:55 am

You are SO ready. I’m so excited for you!

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey     at 11:58 am

I get teary when my guy is just simply interacting with kids (that aren’t ours)… my clock is tick, tick, ticking… :)

~

Katy @ KatyRunner Reply:

oh me too!

Kate     at 11:59 am

Lovely post :)

I don’t think pregnancy symptoms are overhyped as a rule, though that doesn’t necessarily mean you got “lucky”- I wouldn’t be surprised if your fitness and healthy lifestyle contributed to it, and I bet your attitude helps too (though I definitely think there’s some luck in there!)

I also think your more flexible lifestyle may contribute to the enjoyable pregnancy- I know working from home has many many challenges, and I’m absolutely not saying it’s easier, but I think not being in an office is quite likely healthier for a pregnant woman. Easier to prepare good food, possibly easier to nap (I’m taking that from Jen’s experience, anyway), fit in walks etc. I’m 19 weeks and so far from glowing it’s not funny (M/S, congestion and fatigue, mostly), and I know that several others in my pregnancy forums are suffering from SPDD, horrible backache etc. I’m normally a pretty happy, healthy person and it hasn’t been easy adjusting to not being that way.

Anyway, sorry for the novel. I’m super glad pregnancy has been great for you. Seeing you and others go through this journey gracefully makes me feel like I can too!

Sara S. Reply:

I’m 12 weeks and I think working outside of the home can definitely create unique challenges during pregnancy. I find it is really hard to rest or get a restful night of sleep. I also find it hard to get ready in the morning! From around 4:00 am to 11:00 am, I am SO nauseated. I have a hard time showering, getting ready, and getting to work on time. Even riding in the car is a challenge! Most of the time I wish I could just come home and nap and take care of myself.

I’m glad the symptoms are easing up now, though. I feel more like myself and less like zombie Sara. :)

Kate Reply:

Congratulations Sara- and yay for 12 weeks! So glad the symptoms are easing up- and hopefully you get some blissful in between times before any of the later symptoms start!

Congrats to BOTH of you! And I totally agree that working at home has probably greatly contributed to relief of some of the more common symptoms. In the early days of constant sickness I remember saying to Casey every day, “how could people possibly feel like this and go to work?” We had a waitress serving us the other night who was probably 8 months pregnant, and once again it just really made me appreciate the flexibility I have to work at home and be comfortable when I need it. Big congrats to both of you guys, and best wishes for comfortable and healthy pregnancies!

Mandy Robinson     at 12:06 pm

I could not agree more with this post. It is amzing how many great things you learn about yourself while being pregnant. The last year, post-pregnancy, has been pretty amazing as well. Learning how to balance work, family, and fitness. I think I am ready to do it all over again! :)

Jennifer@knackfornutrition     at 12:14 pm

This is such a beautiful post. I have really enjoyed reading all about your journey up to this point. I am really just so excited for you. You’re going to be such a great mom!

colleen     at 12:23 pm

Beautiful post. You and Casey will make wonderful parents, and Indy and Huey will make great big brothers!

Paige     at 12:26 pm

Awww yay what a good post!

Army Amy*     at 12:27 pm

Love it!*

Sarah     at 12:32 pm

This is so nice to hear. Most of my hs friends have had kids for a while, but most of my college friends do not. I totally don’t feel ready. I think we’re going to wait another 3 years or so ’till we think about it, but I worry about feeling ready when the time comes. Right now my husband is a medical resident (in pediatrics, go figure) & I work a full time job & two part time jobs. With him being in residency, I feel like I don’t have time to take care of HIM, let alone another little person, which is why I feel like we have to wait ’till he’s done. Anyway, this is long, but I’m glad to hear that the process of the pregnancy helps to get you ready for the moment they arrive :)

Heather     at 12:35 pm

Made me teary eyed too!

Ceren     at 12:41 pm

Emily,

Although I am not pregnant and not planning to get pregnant anytime soon, I really like reading your experience. I feel like you look into this in a real and smart perspective. I read a lot of blogs, but yours is one of my quality read. I was planning to post about it, and I guess today is the day;))

I hope you will have an easy labor and a healthy, cute little boy….

Take care,

Ceren

Chase - the CHASE project     at 12:44 pm

Yay! I’m glad you had a relatively smooth pregnancy!

Ella, RD     at 12:48 pm

Love it. I agree, I have been taken aback by how my pregnancy has made me look at my husband and in fact feel my love for him even stronger than I did before. It’s beautiful!

Meagan     at 12:58 pm

Wow! Now every time I come to Daily Garnish I anticipate seeing a baby post! Very exciting Emily :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga     at 1:08 pm

What a beautiful post and thanks for sharing it all…and I totally agree with the husband part. Seeing your man as a FATHER, not just a partner, whole new spin on things and it’s fabulous, isn’t it :)

Tasha     at 1:31 pm

You will melt when Casey holds baby C for the first time. Now that I think about it, my husband held our son even before I did.

Ann     at 1:36 pm

Thanks for sharing your reflections! Many of mine are the same, and some I’m still working on…
I thought of you today because I got the call that I failed my first gestational diabetes test, and totally broke down about it. Like you, I have been eating well and exercising, so I’m feeling like a bit of a failure this afternoon. The 3 hour is next week, and I have my fingers crossed!

Brittney     at 1:59 pm

This is great Emily! I think you really have been pretty relaxed and easy going through your pregnancy and that’s awesome. I really don’t think it helps anything to get all wound up and call the doctor all the time, unless it’s something serious, so I think it’s cool that you have been able to kind of go with the flow and trust your body. You’ll make a great mother!!

Gina (Yogattude)     at 2:40 pm

Cute post!!! You seem ready:)

Meg     at 4:16 pm

Emily, I just want to tell you that this post, and all of your posts during pregnancy have been so inspiring to me. I too have struggled with anxiety, panic and body issues and have wondered how I would possibly deal with them when I become pregnant (hopefully in two years). It has really helped me to read about your journey and see that things can really turn out fine. Thank you for being so honest and open with your readers!

Joanna Bodie     at 4:47 pm

Such a sweet post! I am sure you’re anxiously awaiting the little babykins arrival :)

STUFT Mama     at 4:47 pm

Emily- what a beautiful post. I went through the SAME experiences and pregnanc has forever changed me and how I view myself and my body. I am so excited for you. It’s a bit of a struggle at first (when you’re adjusting to being a mom) to remember all the things that have changed through pregnancy, but the journey is well worth it. :)

Tricia     at 6:39 pm

love

Kristen @ The Concrete Runner     at 6:43 pm

I’m so glad you’ve had such a wonderful pregnancy! Pregnancy definitely is different than what I expected also. But, I am totally on the same page as you with added confidence, growing love for my husband, and the changes in my body.

Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection     at 6:46 pm

This is such a beautiful post. You’re going to be an amazing mother.

Hannah     at 9:42 pm

Oh, this makes my heart swoon with happiness for you! It feels so hard to think that I may never have this, but I’m so glad some people get to experience true love and motherhood :)

E     at 9:44 pm

What a beautiful post, Emily! I can’t wait to see Baby C and see you as a mother (even though I don’t KNOW you :) ). I’m not pregnant or planning it any time soon, but I’ve really enjoyed reading about all of your experiences. Congratulations on all of it to you & Casey!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers     at 6:14 am

Ahhh, I love your post today, it was so beautiful. Makes me wish I had kids, but I got dogs instead, ;) Enjoy your bundle of joy and I look forward to reading new stories about Casey.

Brooke     at 8:43 am

This is such a great post :) I can’t wait to see pictures of your new family!!

Michaela     at 9:51 am

I love your pregnancy posts so much! But I am also looking forward to your baby posts in the very near future :)

btw, I made your vegan chocolate chip cookies yesterday and they are absolutely divine! 4 cookies left, and they were not even out of the oven for 24 hours :D

Amber K     at 10:46 am

Seeing how amazing my husband is as an uncle just makes me want to have kids with him even more. This post has me all weepy-eyed. You’re going to be a great mom Emily!

J @ Ess and Jae V2.0     at 1:17 pm

Emily, you look beautiful! It’s been fascinating taking this journey with you. You’re going to love the fact that you documented the whole thing.

Hayley @ Oat Couture     at 2:08 pm

Lovely post! I’m so excited for you Emily! And Casey of course! :) Can’t wait for Baby C to make an appearance!

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed)     at 5:44 pm

I love reading about your pregnancy journey and overall reflections. I got a little teary even. I hope and pray that some day soon I too will be where you are, waiting on the arrival of my first child, and loving every second. Great post today.

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee     at 5:43 am

Wow!! I’m so happy for you!!! :) The dark chocolate ginger looks really good and probably is what kept you from having morning sickness haha. I’m excited for the baby pictures!

Shayla @ The Good Life     at 11:15 am

Loved this post Emily, all the things you described is what I’m looking forward to in pregnancy. I just know I’ll fall that much more in love with my husband, and then seeing him hold our future baby will just make me fall apart… :)

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 3:33 pm

I feel like (as someone who has never been pregnant) being pregnant is something you will never fully understand until it happens to you. It sounds like you have had a great one, and learned so much!

crista     at 6:03 pm

what a beautiful post! makes me excited to experience pregnancy one day! Love your pregnant bikini pic (and the hat!!)

Sarah@The Flying ONION     at 5:12 am

Aww…what a sweet, sweet post! You are such a beautiful mom-to-be. Your baby is already such a lucky little boy. :D

Lu     at 7:09 am

I loved this post. I wish I would have come across something like this back when I was pregnant. I can’t wait to see how mommyhood translates to the blog.

Jaclyn     at 8:13 am

love your post! do you have any particular posts that have spoken to your anxiety? i have currently suffered from it for the past year and love to read about different ways to deal with it.

Megan     at 9:53 am

Very crazy that you mention panic and anxiety. I have dealt with this for the past 8 years and was worried about it with both my pregnancies. Is there any natural remedies that you find ease your anxiety? Whether it be a good work out or particular foods in your diet?

Not really any natural remedies or foods. More just a lot of soul searching and personal growth that needed to be done. Working through some past issues and finally putting it all behind me. Feels very good to free myself of all that!

Monica     at 2:02 pm

You have given me so much through this journey of yours! When I found out that you were pregnant I read every post in awe, and was stunned to find out a month later that we were expecting as well. Your blog became the big sister I never had and prepped me on what I could expect, and gave me helpful perspective on things I wouldn’t have had otherwise.
I am so excited for you on all that is to come and can’t thank you enough for these posts!

Awwww I LOVE this! So happy to have been along for the ride with you. :) Best of luck to YOU in these last few months as well!

AllieNic @ Frisky Lemon     at 2:06 pm

LOVE this post! You are so inspiring. All of your baby update posts have been wonderful–it’s always nice to hear a woman’s real thoughts about pregnancy and being a mom for the first time…I’m sure I will turn back here for info and support when I become a mom…someday…

Thank you so much!

ashley rebekah     at 6:16 pm

oh, you are just too cute for words! and, i lived on that ginger soother throughout my pregnancy. life saver!

Lindsey     at 7:06 pm

Did you say ‘son’?! I thought it was a secret, a baby boy! So exciting :)

liz     at 7:46 pm

I am 16 weeks pregnant and just found your blog through rhodeygirl. I was catching up on your pregnancy posts and really loved this one. I too have struggled with anxiety for years and find it flaring up while pregnant. What you said about focusing on the big picture and not worrying about the small things really spoke to me. Thanks for your honesty!

azadi     at 4:03 am

well you seemed so attractive with pregnancy but would be so when our ALMIGHTLY GOD asks you wheather this pictures accepted or not.
my dear
be aware that Paradise or Hell waiting for us and the key of each is our obeiness to our LORD’s instruction.
it is only an advice not more