For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Prenatal Preparations.

Yesterday was a fun day for me and the bump.  We headed out in the afternoon for our first prenatal massage!

2011-09-01 12.00.35

I’ve mentioned it here before, but I’m having a lot of back pain and muscle tightness.  By the time I lay down to go to bed, sometimes it is so bad that I can’t sleep.  I toss and turn all night wishing that there was some way to relieve it.  I used to be a big back cracker (probably not good), but now that I’m pregnant I can’t crack my back anymore.  I think all that tension is just building and building!

So yesterday I shopped around and found what seemed like a good price for a 60 minute prenatal massage.  I’m funny about money and have a hard time splurging on things that seem like luxuries instead of necessities.  I have only have two other massages in my life – one after my first marathon, and the other using a Groupon!  I am so glad I went though, because it was more than worth the price!

I was taken back into a little room with yummy smelling candles and lotions, dim lighting, and soothing music.

2011-09-01 12.08.04

I wasn’t sure exactly what to expect since I knew I wouldn’t be able to lay face down or flat on my back.  My massage therapist had the table all set up with pillows for propping myself up on my side on top of a heated table.  Heaven.

2011-09-01 12.08.11

She did thirty minutes on one side and thirty minutes on the other.  One of the major areas that has been bothering me the most is my tailbone, and after I told this to the masseuse, she ended up giving me a hard core butt muscle rub.  I never would have been brave enough to ask anyone to rub my bum, but she totally did, and I absolutely loved it.  I told her I wanted lots of pressure on my back, and at certain points she pushed so hard it was painful – in a good way.

Sixty minutes of pure heaven, and I slept so much better last night.  I’m hoping to go at least one or two more times before Baby C arrives!

2011-09-01 12.08.19

After the massage ended, I felt like I needed a nap.  Instead, I continued my afternoon of prenatal preparations and headed to Target.

Like I said in my last update, as I get bigger and bigger I’m starting to run out of comfortable clothes.  I figured I’d see what was on sale at Target, and ended up getting a few more things that were on sale – score!  First up, this new grey top.  It’s really lightweight and comfortable – a new favorite.

This dress would probably not have been my first pick, but it was SIX dollars, so I bought it anyways.  It fits, it’s comfortable, and it was cheap.  All that really matters at this point, right?

The other thing I really needed was more clothes for my – ahem – expanding bottom-half.  Another clearance find, some denim-ish shorts that will look nice for either dressing up or down.  It’s also really hard to find shorts with the full panel, which is totally essential this late in pregnancy.

Beyond maternity clothes, my main mission for the trip to Target was to get some things I will need in the hospital.  First up, a new sports bra.  My others are all too small at this point, and I have decided I don’t want to wear a big dumpy hospital gown while I’m in labor.

My sister told me that she wore a sports bra and loose skirt in the hospital, and it was one of her best decisions for being more comfortable.  Also, she said that seeing her belly exposed made her feel more connected to what was going on during contractions and pushing.  Makes sense to me!  So, I picked up a new sports bra to wear while giving birth.  Totally weird.

I also knew I would need some nursing supplies and comfortable bras/tops for afterwards while I am figuring out this whole breastfeeding thing.  I have NO idea what I will like, what will fit, etc – so I just bought a range of options and kept the receipt.  Hopefully at least one thing works!  Nursing tanks, which came highly recommended from many moms…

And nursing bras, both sleep style and traditional.  Yes, I am posting pictures of my bras.  Pregnancy has ruined my filter.

Last weekend I dug out our big duffle bag that will be our hospital bag when the time comes.  Now I actually have something to put in it!  So far we’ve got nursing tanks/bras and comfy slippers.  Seems like a good start to me.  :)

There are still a few more personal items I probably need to go buy, but I’m taking it one step at a time.  More and more, I’m feeling relatively ready and prepared.  Hoping to spend our holiday weekend finishing up some nursery details and starting to wash all the baby clothes and linens!

Sorry for all the girl talk about butt rubs and bra photos today.  You can always click away and make lasagna if it is too much.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy Labor Day celebration!

christine @ Life's a Lasagna     at 7:36 pm

I don’t know if anyone mentioned it but definitely bring snacks! I have celiac and was in labor for 14 hours = no eating or drinking. by the time I had my daughter and all the ‘other stuff’ was done and cleaned up it was well after 9pm and kitchen was basically closed with no one there that could accommodate my food needs. I WAS STARVING! My husband had to run out and try and find something Gluten Free at 10pm, all he was able to find was french fries.

It was terrible.. and like one of the ladies above said, take everything, they throw it away anyway. Especially take those ice pack giant pads if your hospital has them… seriously, it’s like heaven for your lady bits. :]

This is an exciting time for you! I tear up remembering mine.

Amber K Reply:

I’m so glad I read this comment! It’s going to be quite awhile before I’ll have to deal with it (considering I’m not even pregnant yet, lol) but I have to remember to bring snacks! I am gluten-intolerant in addition to a slew of other food intolerances. must bring snacks!

christine @ Life's a Lasagna Reply:

Definitely Amber! Even though we prepared the hospital as soon as we arrived for my need of gluten free meals, it wasn’t until the day I was going home that I finally received my first full GF meal! It was very disappointing. You’re already so emotional, exhausted, trying to nurse a newborn, deal with visitors and not having a real meal is just defeating. :[ Glad this could help you, in the hopefully near future. :]

Liz     at 9:12 pm

That prenatal massage sounds heavenly! I’ve never been pregnant, but my tailbone often hurts during my period, so I can’t imagine how it would feel during pregnancy…. Sounds like you’re really getting everything set – have a fun holiday weekend doing some more prenatal preparations!

Katherine     at 9:26 pm

I ended up wearing almost nothing during labor….at some point I just couldn’t take having anything touching me. You really do lose all modesty especially when moving all around/attempting to find comfort during natural childbirth. Maybe this is TMI, but I sat on the toilet (and was in the shower) a lot during my 24 hour labor! And I agree with the ladies above – take all you can from the hospital! And you will love that peri bottle. I had a 4th degree tear and lots of stitches and that water felt so good! I am 2 months in to mommy-hood and it’s the greatest thing ever. People told me that before I gave birth, but I had no idea until she actually arrived. Best of luck to you. Savor this time of preparation!

PS – Do you plan to use a doula? I loved my midwife, but my doula was truly the rock that pulled me through. She was such a support for my husband and I – especially after I gave birth and needed some special attention (i.e. stitches that took about an hour). She held my hand while my hubby held the baby. I’ll never forget that support.

No doula for me this time, but I hear they are wonderful. Casey has promised to hold my hand through whatever I need! :)

Julie     at 8:42 am

Good pick on the nursing tanks! I’ve pretty much lived in them for the last um..16 months! And good luck with your breastfeeding journey! Read up and just take it one day or latch at a time! Totally worth all the effort at the beginning! Kellymom.com is an awesome resource and they have a wonderful board for support!

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 9:46 am

I love all the girlie talk :) And butt massages are the best!!!

jen     at 11:06 am

for after you have the baby it was suggested to me i use tena (bladder) pads instead of normal maxi pads by a friend and they were so much more absorbet and comfortable.

glad you enjoyed your massage. i am much like you and don’t get them often and had 1 while i was pregnant. they had a table though with a cut out for my belly.

Emily     at 11:35 am

I tried your lasagna recipe: so delicious! Thanks!! http://thedivinecarrot.wordpress.com/

Alissa     at 12:48 pm

I’m so glad you got a prenatal massage! Check out chiropractic, too. And I’d highly recommend the website Spinning Babies (dot org, I think?) for optimal fetal positioning tips (like the ball, which you just broke out, right?). Might help with the back pain.

And I totally recommend the Bravado nursing bras and tanks. They are amazing!

I had both my boys on October 14th (2 years apart) and reading your posts makes me awfully nostalgic!

Alissa     at 12:48 pm

And not to be a pest, but have you looked in to using a doula for your birth?

I have thought about using a doula, and did a bit of research. Ultimately, we’ve decided to not use one this time. Casey is ready to be my supporter! :) I know doulas are wonderful, but hopefully our experience will be okay without one.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 5:43 pm

Pregnancy definitely decreases the filter that’s for sure! LOL

And love the idea of a sports bra and loose skirt. That is genius!

fittingbackin     at 6:22 pm

Cute stuff! Love the print on that dress and those denim shorts are REALLY cute!

Maria@La_Piattini     at 7:26 pm

I just bought that exact same sports bra at Target the other day! I love these Champion ones- I’ve bought three so far. They are just super comfy to work out in.

Marie R     at 9:11 pm

I have the same bra from Target (the white one). It was the worst bra I have ever owned. It seemed comfortable at first but the first day I wore it I noticed that the seam on the back by the hooks was very rough and scratched me and dug in to my back all day. Also, after washing, the cups became all dimpled. Wish I would/could have returned it.

Oh no! Really? I figure I will try it all on once I need it and probably end up returning half of it. Just wanted to have some options.

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 9:19 pm

How exciting! Massages are always wonderful. You may want to ask if there are any oils you could use to help alleviate pain in your back. Aveda makes a great one called Active that has wintergreen in it but I’m not sure if it is safe for pregnancy so you may want to double check. If you are interested though, I work at an Aveda spa and could check, just send me an email or let me know on my blog.

I will check out the Aveda store here – thanks!

Stefanie     at 9:20 pm

The best purchase I made for delivery/after were sports bras with a zippered front. They were very comfortable and perfect for breastfeeding at home. Hanes makes them.

Good idea! I will look for some.

Shelia     at 10:14 pm

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but relaxing in a pool was the best thing I did when I was pregnant with my daughter. The water helped lift the belly off my lower back and it was the heavenly!

I do agree that pregnancy & nursing completely destroy your “filter”. Things that you would never, ever talk about before find their way into normal conversations. Accidentally bare a “girl” in a crowd… no big deal, baby’s gotta eat!

Welcome to mommyhood!

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 6:29 pm

So exciting! I love hearing about this stuff :-) PS I think that dress is super cute! Love the green.

Jules     at 12:45 pm

I just found your blog and will be following it religiously from now on. :) Best of luck with Baby C!

Glad you found it – welcome!

Lara     at 1:52 pm

Would you mind messaging me on faebook or something with the name of the place you went to for your prenatal massage? I’ve been looking for a place and it would be super helpful! :)

Sure thing!