For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Ready for Baby: The Nursery Tour.

While I have shown you plenty of glimpses of our nursery as we’ve worked on it throughout this summer, now that it’s ready to go, I thought it was only fitting to give an official tour!

You might remember back when it looked like this, earlier this summer when my sister was using it as her temporary summer bedroom…

While I am sad that Sarah is no longer living in the nursery, it is definitely looking much better these days!  Let’s begin…

The first thing you see when you walk in the door is this full length mirror.  It was already in the room when we moved in (in a different spot), and I decided to leave it up since I know babies LOVE mirrors.  I can’t wait to hear him giggling at his own reflection – too cute!

The inside wall has our antique dresser, scored at a farmer’s market earlier this summer.  I cleaned up the inside of the drawers by lining them with cute striped wrapping paper, and then added IKEA spice racks to help it do double-duty as a bookshelf!

Hanging above the dresser are a few family pictures I wanted to include so that our little guy always feels surrounded by the people and dogs who love him so much.

I really liked these frames since they were a good price and perfectly matched the wood on our crib, but they only came in this 8×10 size.  I thought 8×10 photos would be a bit overwhelming, so I ordered 5×7’s instead and used the leftover wrapping paper from my drawer project to make a striped backing for the pictures.  I think it turned out really well!

On the far side of the room, we have the crib and the glider.  I bought these yellow “thermal blackout curtains” at Target to help keep the room dark during nap time.  Doesn’t seem like much blacking-out is actually happening, but I like the yellow color and am too lazy to return them.

I talked about picking out our crib and artwork in a previous post, and I’m really happy with how it all turned out.  We are crossing our fingers and hoping to be able to have several more kids, so hopefully this can all be used for many years to come.  I tend to prefer gender-neutral colors anyways!

One of the very last things we did in here was decide where to hang our wall art.  Even though the chance of something falling off the walls is so slim, I was really nervous about hanging something directly above the crib.  Casey came up with a great solution, and used L-brackets to literally bolt the pieces to the walls.  Now they aren’t going anywhere!

We ordered the glider way back in July and it finally came in a few weeks ago.  Now that I have a place to sit in the nursery, I have been reading in there on the weekends and enjoying how peaceful it is (for now!).

Our nursery is pretty small and has limited wall space, so in order to maximize what we have, we decided to open up what used to be a double-door closet.  Inside, we have our second dresser (for storing diapers, blankets, etc.) with a changing table on top.  There are storage bins up top so that I can stay relatively organized, and I repurposed some old green curtains I already had to hang down the sides.

On either side of the dresser/changer, I have some extra (messy) storage hiding behind the curtain panels for hanging clothes, extra diapers, a laundry basket, etc..  For a small, sort of awkward room, I’m pretty happy with how we were able to make the space work to be efficient and useful.

View from the back of the room, which shows off my favorite feature – our awesome wall decal!

And from the other side of the room, you can see the doorway that leads into the nursery bathroom…

I wasn’t quite sure what I was going to do in the bathroom at first, but when I saw this shower curtain on sale at Target, I knew it was perfect.  A little girly perhaps, but I think he will forgive me.  I love how the trees look almost identical to the ones in the nursery wall art!  (The paper flowers on the windowsill are from our wedding!)

Inside the tub, we have an adorable whale bathtub for shower time until he is big enough to use the real thing.  My sister gave this to me, and asked me to be sure to let him know that she lived in the nursery before he did.  :)

Whale spout cover, so that he doesn’t bang his head on it once he is learning to stand and splash and play.  Safety first!

And that’s our nursery!  While I know all a baby really needs in the beginning is food, sleep, and a whole lot of love, we have had so much fun putting this room together and dreaming of rocking him to sleep, changing his little diapers, and singing to him.  And when he is older, he’ll enjoy looking in his mirror, picking out bedtime stories, and splashing in his bathtub.

Now we just need to him to come enjoy his new space!

For more pregnancy posts and weekly updates, please visit mypregnancy page.

Kora     at 8:51 am

Wow, I love your nursery. It combines a lot of cute things with a kind of “adult”, comfortable beauty that allows both the parents and the baby to enjoy the environment. It’s wonderful.

Amber K     at 9:22 am

Wow, thank you so much for showing us! It’s absolutely beautiful. I remember you mentioning each piece as you got them, but they all really go together nicely. I hope that I can create something just as beautiful if I have my own one day.

Sarah K.     at 9:26 am

Awww, the nursery looks amazing!

Aimee     at 9:35 am

Filled with love. Nice job!

Cat     at 10:26 am

Your nursery is GORGEOUS!! You mentioned returning the yellow curtains, but I love that it make the room very subtly bright. It’s so very peaceful looking!!
FANTASTIC JOB!!! It’s absolutely perfect!!

Joanna Bodie     at 10:48 am

I just begun following you! You look amazing! Pregnancy suits you.. Your recipes look fantastic…cannot wait to try some!Are you still running?

Candy @ Healthy In Candy Land     at 10:50 am

The nursery is absolutely adorable! It looks like something from a magazine. I love that you put the photos of you guys and the dogs in there.

Danielle     at 11:51 am

So cute! I love how you’re using the closet space.

Marie@feedingfive     at 1:19 pm

To be honest when I saw those sweet pics above the crib I thought ‘I can see baby boy grabbing and pulling those down’. Then when I saw the L brackets I realized you two have thought of everything and really don’t need advice from any of us. So truly excited for you.

Lindsay @ Schnoodle Soup     at 2:39 pm

Beautiful! Love the photos of you, Casey and the pups! Adorable.

tammy     at 6:16 pm

Not sure how I found your blog, but I like it. Lovely nursery. Congrats!

Brittany     at 6:33 pm

I have been reading different food/weight loss journey/etc.etc..blogs for the longest time and one of them is yours! Also for the longest time I thought I could not reply because I didnt have a blog myself or something else special. I was pleasantly surprised to discover today that I could reply without anything fancy. (I am, however, considering my own blog :) Anyway, I just think you are the cutest! I am not exactly vegetarian but I love vegetarian recipes and many of yours have appealed to me :)I think it is awesome that you followed your dreams in life. I am very much at a crossroad with my life at this point. I am happily married to the love of my life and the proud mama of a cat named Mogli but I am now considering being honest with myself about “what I want to be when I grow up” and also wanting to makeover my health! It is so awesome that you have a husband who supports all your endeavors. I feel very Blessed to have a husband who supports me. We sometimes compare ourselves to “Dharma and Greg” (that one sitcom that came on way back when). I am very much the artsy fartsy quirky one and my husband is a teacher lol. Anyway, you have an awesome blog and I just wanted to tell you this!! :)

Hi Brittany – so glad you finally commented – you definitely don’t need a blog of your own! :) I am so glad you’ve enjoyed it – thanks so much for reading!

Brittany Reply:

Thank you for replying! And silly me, I forgot to mention congratulations!!!! on your upcoming bundle of joy and the nursery is adorable!! I am huge fan of trees-love the wall decal!

Alexis @ hummusapien     at 6:34 pm

you must be quite a busy mama to be! the nursery looks great! what a lucky baby :)

Danielle     at 6:42 pm

We have that same shower curtain in our guest bath-turned baby bathroom :) it’s sort of become an inspiration for the nursery! Love how the room came together- great job!

Emily @ Life on Food     at 4:33 am

That little whale cover is one of the cutest things I have ever seen. I love your nursery. I hope everything is as functional as it looks once he arrives.

Sarah     at 8:18 am

The baby’s nursery is beeeeeautiful! I love the tree. It looks like such a great space to spend time with your little guy.

Nicole     at 8:23 am

So cute and well put together! You’ve though of everything! Lucky little guy!

Suzanne     at 9:52 am

Your belly is so cute! Can’t wait to see pics of the little guy and hope the labor goes smoothly for you. I have a similar closet and was wondering where you got those cute green cloth storage bins on the top shelf of your closet?? I would love to find some for my closet!

They are (or were) on sale at Land of Nod – I think they were like $8? So useful!

Christie     at 6:45 am

The tree wall decal is so stinkin’ cute- I am in love with it =)

Gabrielle     at 11:05 am

Gah, Emily, I LOVE this nursery! You are so prepared, and it’s so perfect. I can’t wait to see the pictures of you and Casey in there with baby C and the pooches. The whole fam! :)

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Project Nursery: Here We Go!     at 7:09 am

[…] color selection goes, we are just reusing Cullen’s nursery “theme” and bedding (you can see his first nursery here!) and carrying it into this new space.  So I used his bedding quilt as inspiration to pick out […]

fudge icing recipe     at 5:34 am

Bouffant: It is a very classy hairdo and was amongst the most popular bridal hairstyles 2011.
Application of foreign chemical or metal substances or objects
to your hair;. And if you already have long straight hair
then I could say that you are lucky only you need to take
care of your hair to keep it healthy and if it is curly then you
may want to use a hair straightener like the
popular CHI or GHD flat iron to make your hair