Sutra Revisited.

A while back, we had considered going out of town somewhere nearby (in the Pacific Northwest) to do one last trip just the two of us before the baby comes.  Ultimately we decided that being 34 weeks along and having already spent a lot of money on baby related items, we’d just hang out and enjoy a weekend together at home.

Since we didn’t end up going out of town, I thought it would be fun to plan a few date night dinners.  Our favorite spot in Seattle is Sutra, where we went back in May when my sister first arrived for her summer here.

It’s funny that I have two restaurant posts in a row for you, because I almost never take my camera with me when we go out to eat.  I tend to find that it can take away from the experience of just eating with people you love.  Casey and I agreed that in this particular case, the camera was worth documenting the amazing food they serve at Sutra.

The restaurant operates at two set seatings each night, and all guests are served together in a prix fixe style.  I started my evening with a cucumber Dry Soda.  I am seriously addicted to this stuff.

And Casey got some sort of delicious sun tea elixir.  I love that they serve even the non-alcoholic drinks in fancy champagne glasses.  Feels so much more special!

Not before long, the first course was set in front of us…

Chilled Yellow Watermelon-Lemon Basil-Fresh Cayenne Soup

…with an Arugula- Carrot-Pickled Fennel Salad finished Truffle Oil and Sesame Crisp.  This was incredible!  I wanted to ask for a side dish of nothing but pickled fennel – amazing.

Followed shortly by the second course – Zucchini-Roasted Yellow Pepper-Spigariello-Cashew Cheese Lasagna with Bay Leaf-Peppercorn Marinated Olives and Arame finished with a Blue Chile-Yuzu Dressing.

I was a little nervous about the arame (sea vegetable) when they first described the dish, but it complimented the zucchini and cashew sauce so well.  Ate every bite!

The third course was definitely the highlight – Purple Potato Gnocchi with Capers, Parsley and Smoked Chanterelles with a Roasted Garlic-Hempseed Sauce, Steamed White Russian Kale and Black Cherokee Heirloom Tomatoes.

So much amazing smoky flavor in those mushrooms, and purple potato gnocci that melted in your mouth.  I want another plate of this right now.

Last but certainly not least – dessert!  Pecan-Fig Crusted Star Fire Nectarine-Rose Tart served with a Carmel-Cacao-Coconut Cream Sauce.

A delicious way to end a wonderful meal with my favorite dinner date.  The fun thing about Sutra is that the menu changes every two weeks.  We’re hoping to get back there one more time before our little one arrives.

Back shortly with a delicious COOKIE recipe you wont want to miss!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 10:06 am

Wow, you’re making me drool with all these delicious looking restaurant meals and annoyed for not finding these places all the times I’ve been in Seattle!

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups     at 10:13 am

Wow that all looks amazing! I love that you’re doing date nights before the little one arrives. So cute!

Shanna, Like Banana     at 10:13 am

I just saw those dry sodas for the first time on Saturday and was wondering how they were. Now I want to try one!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 10:15 am

Wow, that sounds like a meal to remember! I’m glad you two are getting out a little before the little one gets here. You look beautiful.

deva (voracious vorilee)     at 10:23 am

that all looks so delicious – colorful and full of texture! what does the dry soda taste like?

Sort of like non-alcoholic wine!

Sarah @ w30 Reply:

Ooooh, I want to try that! Sounds so refreshing!

Kristen @ Chocolate Covered Kristen     at 10:36 am

Cucumber soda – that plus a lemon/lime wedge sounds so incredibly refreshing!

Kathryn @ Flopoodle     at 10:36 am

This food is so incredibly creative! I love eating at restaurants that serve things I would never normally make at home.

Kelly     at 10:41 am

This food looks awesome, what a fun night. I love seeing with true chefs can do with whole food. PS. I tried the Field Roast dogs that you posted about this weekend. I took them to a bbq and they were grilled on the grill. I’m only about the mustard on hot dog type stuff and to me, these tasted just like a brat. So good! I’m so glad I found them here in Minneapolis. Thanks for talking about them.

I am so glad you found them and liked them! They are my absolute favorites. We ate them this weekend too. :)

Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life     at 10:43 am

It looks like you and Casey had an amazing meal out together! Sometimes the best weekends are just spent at home doing fun things like going on dates with your husband!

Shaya (Eye Girl Eats)     at 11:31 am

I love Sutra :) I miss being able to eat in Seattle!!! SUCH good food, everywhere you go.

SoCal, especially where I live, is extremely limited in choices. What I wouldn’t give for one decent conveyor-belt sushi place near my house!

Wow, that surprises me about SoCal! Granted, I haven’t been there. I just always think of California as being so fresh and such a foodie state!

Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) Reply:

It really depends on where you are! Everything is SO spread-out here– the good stuff is in the major cities (like Los Angeles, obviously), but around the more rural parts (I live near Anaheim), we’ve got a lot of fast food and chain-type places. We really have to search out and drive far to get to the good stuff!

Jeanelle @ Glocal Girl     at 12:20 pm

What a fabulous date night! Sounds like you had a good time with just you 2.. and a half ;) Your big day is fast approaching! So exciting!

Rachel     at 12:31 pm

I’m definitely going to sutra next time I visit my mom in Seattle. In fact, I’m sending her your post so she can check this place out!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 12:34 pm

Wow. I was drooling over the food the last time you wrote about Sutra and this time was no different! I can’t wait to visit Seattle again, definitely putting Sutra on the list of places to visit.

Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement     at 1:10 pm

Going to Seattle at the end of the month so I am loving all your restaurant posts. So much delicious and healthy food in Seattle, cannot wait.

Sarah @ w30     at 1:13 pm

Looks amazing! Have you noticed if Baby C is a budding chef? Did he respond with kicks of approval to the meal? ;)

Dani Delicatessen     at 1:17 pm

Seattle seems to have THE best food!! My friend and I are planning a west coast tour next summer starting with seattle, then portland-napa valley, and san fran..i am definitely bookmarking restaurants as you mention them : )

Tami@nutmegnotebook     at 1:58 pm

I agree with you about not wanting to distract from the experience by getting the camera out during a nice meal. Sometimes like with this meal it just feels right to document it.

Everything looks amazing.

Angela @ Momethis     at 2:01 pm

Looks like it belongs on tv! Sounds so interesting. Thanks for sharing. You’re making me want to take a vacation in Seattle.

Alison @ Hospitality Haven     at 2:08 pm

The food looks incredibly! Beautifully plated. And such long descriptive names! :) In any case, it looks like you had a great time.

Allegra     at 5:41 pm

That dinner sounds absolutely fantastic. And such a great idea to treat the two of yourselves before Baby C shows up (or comes out? he’s showing so clearly and beautifully! :)). In a totally unrelated thread, I went to hot yoga for the first time today and completely loved it…and thought of you!

Emily     at 6:11 pm

Looks like an incredible dinner! I love the idea of a pre-set menu at a place like that where you can ensure that the food is diet/allergen friendly :) Looking forward to a good cookie recipe :)

Brooke     at 7:23 pm

Dry cucumber soda..I want to try it!!!

Leila @ Spinach and Skittles     at 9:22 pm

Mmm I love the dry sodas. I wish more places in Spokane sold it, I always have to make a special trip completely out of my way to buy some :(

Hayley @ Oat Couture     at 12:10 am

Wow! All of that food looks absolutely delicious!! I sooo wish we had options like that here. Although the first ever fro yo place has JUST opened so I can’t complain too much! ;)

Cherbear     at 5:31 am

Hooray! I love when you do restaurant reviews!

Becky @ Taste Chaser     at 8:54 am

This is off topic, but you got an iphone a little while back, right? I remember you weren’t immediately sold so I wondered if you had decided to keep it or go with something else. I’m in the market for a new phone myself.

I DID get the iPhone, and you know what? I ended up taking it back. I trader it in for the Droid Charge two days later. I know a lot of people love it, but I just couldn’t get past a few major personal preferences that weren’t working for me (mostly the mail program). I am LOVING the Charge!!

Becky @ Taste Chaser Reply:

Thanks for the feedback! I was afraid of that :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 6:52 pm

That meal looks incredible! What a great pic of you and the belly too :)

Maija     at 11:01 am

that menu reminds me of this article I read on NPR a looong time ago. It’s a very interesting perspective on adjectives on restaurant menus — http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125619180

Gabrielle     at 9:40 am

Amazing! You and Baby C must be so healthy!!

Elyse     at 9:34 pm

We ate at Sutra when I was about as pregnant as you were. Amazing food, massively uncomfortable chairs! Still we’ll definitely go back.