Thriving in Seattle.

I have said it before, and I will say it again.  Seattle has amazing FOOD! We’ve been here for four months now (can you believe that?) and I am still discovering new wonderful places to eat.  This weekend we went out for lunch, and headed out to a spot I had been meaning to try for a while – Thrive

Thrive is totally vegan and mostly raw.  I checked out the menu online ahead of time, and it reminded me so much of Café Gratitude in San Francisco – one of my favorite meals of all time!

And yes, it is chilly enough in Seattle in the mornings to wear a light weight sweater and jeans.  I love it!

I love finding new vegetarian restaurants to try, but I always try to check out the menu ahead of time.  Otherwise I take foreeeeeever to decide what I want (since I can have everything!), and it drives Casey crazy.  This time I came prepared.

We got a little excited about the menu and ordered a TON of food.  Starting with a Dragon Nori Roll – Bhutanese red rice, avocado, cucumber, carrot, and fresh cilantro and toasted nori.  Served with Sesame Ginger Sauce and Garlic Cilantro God Sauce.  YUM.

On the side, Casey got the Sunshine Salad – a perfect egg-free summer salad.  Created with cashews, tumeric, onions, red bell pepper, celery, sea salt, paprika, and sunshine.  Ha!  This was super rich and tasted exactly like egg salad.

The Buddha Bowl – steamed grained topped with delicious “taco meat,” kale chip crumbles, sesame ginger sauce, marinated kale, marinated mushrooms, and organic cucumbers.  Topped with Garlic Cilantro God Sauce and Onion Cashew Cream.

And the Thrivelicious – steamed Bhutanese red rice an quinoa topped with large dollops of Onion Cashew Crème, salsa, and guacamole.  Topped with hearty “taco meat.”

I couldn’t resist asking for a side of the Nacho Dip to go with my bowl, made of cashews, bell peppers, lemon, nutritional yeast, tahini, water, and other spices.  It was delicious and cheesy.  If I ever actually buy some cashews, I might try making something like this at home!

The restaurant was really cute and open, and I loved how you could see into the kitchen and watch the chefs prepare the food.  So many culinary school flashbacks!

The also had a big wall of bulk foods in the back of the store, which I am always drawn to.  I have checked every Whole Foods and Fred Meyer in Seattle, and have not been able to find cacao nibs anywhere.  Finally, we found them at Thrive!  Casey loves them, so we stocked up.

A delicious lunch at a new spot, and surely one I plan to visit again soon.  I hope everyone is having a wonderful and relaxing Labor Day!

Maria @ a life to Bragg about     at 10:01 am

All of that looks so amazing! I wish we had places like that here!

Cynthia (It All Changes)     at 10:03 am

Bulk food aisle are my weakness. The majority of my groceries are bulk and I love ball jars for storing them like you have in your kitchen. Glad you found Casey’s favorite.

Kristin @ STUFT Mama     at 10:05 am

That place looks amazing! :) I need to try to find a plce like that here since Seattle is a little far away. :) I always have to check out the menu beforehand too. :) Then I still have to be the last oen to order because I can’t decide! :) Love the pic of you in front!

Kim @ vegan mama-to-be     at 10:12 am

I love places like that! All your Seattle food posts make we want to come up and visit again. Do you have any recommendations on good neighborhoods to stay in when using only public transportation? Last time, we stayed at a B&B in the University area, but it was only so-so as far as access to bus-lines go (at least, from the B&B).

Shoot, not really. Seattle isn’t the most public transportation friendly city ever, but you can definitely get around on the bus. Downtown is probably your best bet!

Katie @ Serenity in the Storm Reply:

There are also some B&B’s on Capitol Hill (just up the hill from downtown) that are easy to access via bus or walking. Plus, it’s a fun neighborhood!

Shanna Reply:

Lower Queen Anne is also pretty well connected. My fav. hotel in Seattle is Hotel 1000 and it’s worth the money to me. Or else you can usually use Priceline to get a good deal on a place downtown and it doesn’t get better than that, in my opinion.

Kim @ vegan mama-to-be Reply:

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Katie @ Serenity in the Storm     at 10:13 am

This looks so amazing! I, too, have been meaning to try Thrive for a long time. You’ve just inspired me to actually make it happen. Thanks!! The pictures are great, too.

bitt     at 10:20 am

Glad the food there has gotten better. A few years ago it was just plain awful and no one I know would even go with me. It can be up and down though. Ice in your chili? Beware! You didn’t try one of the raw desserts? Their chef actually has gone to Jodee’s–which is an amazing raw dessert place in Greenlake. Has smoothies too. You should check it out.

Oh wow, I didnt know it used to be bad! Everything we got was good this time, and I would definitely try it again. I actually DID get a raw dessert, but I took it to go because I was stuffed. And then I devoured it on Saturday night – tiramisu! :)

Adam Deane Reply:

Hey Bitt! I work as a supervisor at Thrive. So sorry you didn’t enjoy your experience! We have worked at improving every possible aspect over the past few years and assure you that most everything is made fresh daily! We actually have a new dessert chef as well, though our other chef did move on to Jodee’s! Glad you enjoyed your tiramisu Emily!

Kathryn @ Flopoodle     at 10:33 am

Try Theo Chocolate (http://www.theochocolate.com/) in Fremont for cacao nibs! Might be a little pricey but if you’re desperate, it’s worth it :)

Right in my neighborhood! I never even thought to go there – great tip. Thanks! I love Theo.

Kathryn @ Flopoodle Reply:

Me too! I went by there when I was visiting some friends and spent lots of $$ on chocolate haha.

Jenna     at 10:44 am

I live right down the street from Thrive & I’m tempted to go daily! I need to try that sunshine salad. And yes you should totally check out Jodee’s Desserts in Green Lake-all raw & vegan desserts and almond milk smoothies. I work there :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 10:49 am

Okay, I’m having amoment about that sushi – it looks SO good!

Melody     at 10:51 am

I wish that I was a vegetarian when I lived in Seattle, I definitely would’ve searched out places like Thrive and now there’s none in California! Oh, darn.

katharine     at 10:54 am

PCC has cacao nibs in bulk! I’ve purchased them at the fremont location before.

Ahh really?? I have looked there and must have missed them! Will definitely try again, because Thrive’s were $$$.

Shanna Reply:

I think I’ve seen them at Ballard Market too. And if they don’t have something you need, they’re usually willing to get it for you. Love that place!

Jackie @ That Deep Breath     at 10:59 am

Wow this looks delicious even for non-vegans! yum!!!

Sarah @ w30     at 11:04 am

That looks awesome! I love places that show the amazing variety of delicious vegetarian/gluten-free/raw food – it isn’t about being limited! Happy Labor Day!

Chelsea     at 11:30 am

I’m officially starving and wish the tiny town I live in had stuff like this!

I bought some cacao nibs because I have seen so many people blog about them. I am trying to figure out if I bought an off brand because those things don’t even come close to tasting anything close to cocoa! I thought they had a chemical-like taste.

How do you use them? I have a giant bag of them and need a use for them!!

They are super crunchy and not at all sweet – definitely different, and not like chocolate chips. We sprinkle them in oatmeal or cereal!

Meredith     at 11:54 am

That is so awesome with the bulk bins in the restaurant!

Marie@feedingfive     at 11:58 am

I am not a vegetarian but I can definitely appreciate a meal like that. It looks heavenly, I love restaurants that offer such fresh & healthy food.

Adam Deane     at 12:13 pm

Thanks again for the great review Emily! I worked all weekend, I can’t believe I missed you guys! Hopefully you’ll come back soon, maybe even with a baby! :) -Deane

Amy*     at 12:24 pm

As a fellow vegetarian, I know what you mean about taking forever to choose what you want at a veggie-friendly restaurant! I’m used to going to places that only offer a few items that I can eat!*

Ashley     at 12:41 pm

We just moved to the Pacific Northwest as well (Portland), and I’m loving the weather!! And the food, oh the food! Amazing!

Coco     at 1:19 pm

This looks like a great place to eat. I always get over excited when I try new vegan restaurants and order too much!

Emily     at 1:23 pm

I can almost see that place from my house it’s so close!! Haven’t been there but I’ve wanted to for a long time!! It looks really good!

Emilia @ Namaste Gurl     at 1:31 pm

Yum- that place surely looks like a vegetarians dream, no? :) Bet you’ll be going there regularly. So fun to find restaurants like that and that are near you!

JL goes Vegan     at 1:44 pm

Mmmm, my kind of food! Looks wonderful. You look fantastic, too! ;)

Cafe Gratitude just opened in L.A. and I tried it last week. Holy yum!

Looks delicious!!

Kait @ One Love Run     at 3:17 pm

All these delicious looking food makes me want to visit Seattle ASAP!

Sana     at 3:37 pm

You make me want to move to Seattle, just so I can eat!!

Keri R.     at 3:53 pm

I’m so glad that you made it to Thrive! That buddha bowl is my favorite! I was actually just craving it this morning!

Lauren     at 5:14 pm

I have been meaning to try that place forever…your glowing review convinces me I need to visit this week! And FYI, I bought cacoa nibs at PCC Natural Market last week in their bulk bin section.

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well.     at 5:32 pm

Although I’m not vegetarian or vegan, that place looks amazing!!! I must come visit Seattle, just for the food :)

Stephanie @ StephSnacks     at 5:43 pm

All of the food looks fantastic! I have been dying to take a trip to Seattle.

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous!     at 6:22 pm

Thrive looks amazing!! We don’t have vary many places like that here in Texas!! I sure wish we did! :)

Emily     at 6:23 pm

Such a cool place! The food looks delicious, I especially thought the sushi looked amazing!! Enjoy the rest of your long weekend :)

Jessica     at 6:41 pm

The QFC in Wallingford also has bulk bins (in the upstairs) that I discovered this weekend. They seemed to have a nice variety of stuff as well, although I didn’t have time to really look at what all they had. Something to keep in mind if there are other bulk items you are in search of…

Awesome – thank you!

Deva (Voracious Vorilee)     at 6:56 pm

When you add cacao nibs to hot cereal, do you add them at the end, or during the cooking process?

I usually add them toward the end, with raisins and nuts!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 7:19 pm

This place looks awesome! Definitely going to need to check it out next time I’m in Seattle.

Meagan     at 7:41 pm

I order my cacao nibs online – so much cheaper :)

Vitacost.com is your friend!!

Candy @ Healthy In Candy Land     at 10:33 pm

My husband and I just ate there about a month ago for the first time (of course I blogged about it too! http://healthyincandyland.com/?p=2337) and we fell in love. We both wanted to lick the bowls when we were done–those sauces were SO good! We can’t wait to go back and try more!

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed)     at 5:02 am

We are on vacation visiting my aunt & uncle right now and last night they were talking about how much they loved Seattle when they lived there and would move back (if jobs allowed!) in a heartbeat. My aunt said “I never wanted to leave Seattle!” I went to visit them once as a young child but I would love to go back today and experience the city as an adult. Your lunch looks great!

Kat @ Big Apple Little Kitchen     at 5:04 am

That Dragon Nori Roll looks superb! It’s giving me some homemade sushi inspiration!

Britta     at 7:07 am

You should also try Chaco Canyon in the U district http://www.chacocanyoncafe.com/ and Jodee’s Desserts in Green Lake

Both are amazing!

Britta Reply:

Oh I forgot — You should stop in at Theo chocolate factory in Fremont. They produce their own chocolate using fair-trade beans…. and they have the BEST cocoa nibs ever! Go on one of their daily tours… you will be blown away! You can also purchase the nibs at PCC.

And one last thing… thanks for the lasagna recipe .. yum!

I had no idea Theo sold cacao nibs! I will definitely go there next time.

I LOVE Chaco Canyon!

Sami     at 7:08 am

couldn’t agree more! i love this weather. i’m pretty jealous of that meal, too!

xo.

Kelly     at 8:41 am

I hope you do try to replicate the Nacho Dip. Trader Joe’s sells a bag of raw cashews for a pretty reasonable price, though I cannot remember what it was, I just remember thinking that is a pretty good deal! I’m amazed at what you can create with raw cashews!

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 9:28 am

Oh my…everything looks so yummy!

www.theevolvinghomemaker.com     at 10:30 am

well how am i supposed to enjoy all that yumminess you just showed? it all looks SO good and i am SO far away from seattle. sigh. next time i am there…

jen

Erin     at 11:42 am

Yum! Your restaurant posts always make me want to move to Seattle! When you get some cashews, check out happy herbivore’s recipe for vegan nacho cheese. It is my go to recipe when I’m craving something cheesy.

Kristen     at 2:50 pm

I love Thrive!! Those bowls look…aahh-mazing..QFC in Wallingford has bulk cacao nibs too- upstairs in their natural foods section! :)

CarolR     at 7:40 pm

Hi Emily,
Just wondering if you have shopped at PCC Natural Markets yet. They have a lot of bulk items…
There are two in your area- Fremont and Greenlake.

I have been to the one in Fremont! I tend to run there for odds and ends, but it seems to expensive for regular weekly grocery shopping.

Sarah @ Run, Write, Conquer     at 6:16 am

Emily, where did you get your flats? Are they pretty comfortable? So cute!

They are from Old Navy, and I love them! I wear them so much they look very battered up close. They are comfortable but have no support at all, so not good for long walks.

Chasity Grome     at 1:39 pm

I just bought some cocoa nibs the other day and so far have only added them to my oats in the morning. Do you have other good suggestions?

weight loss drops hcg dr. oz     at 12:40 am

Some dieters reportedly shed up to 40 lbs in just 6
weeks, resulting in an average loss of 1 pound per day. Yes, it is certainly possible to lose up
to 15 to 30 lbs just in a month with use of h – CG diet plan. These suggestions are
provided to assist you in optimizing your meal plans with
approved foods with these quick weight loss diets.

chloe sims spray tan reviews     at 12:16 am

Make sure that you only cover the skin areas in the photograph, and try to
avoid hair, eyes, lips, and clothing. To reduce this feeling, simply take a clean feather duster
or large powder bush and dust your skin lightly with a small amount of baby powder.
At the end of all four sets, relax again then open up your
eyes and the area around them as wide as possible
for a count of ten.

data storage Companies 2014     at 3:32 am

If the moving affordability is tight, MR can help you locate the best
deal in a matter of hours. Moving Companies Usually Know Good Traffic Routes- Bangkok is a huge city.
Arts, sports, music, and fun have given a new face
in town.

fort lauderdale ray gary the plumber reviews     at 5:04 pm

As far as the contrast is not that absurd or simply unpleasing on the eye, you
can combine several colors as you require. After consideration, you may find that
the remodeling project you thought you couldn’t live without, may
simply not be needed at all. Now we are going to evaluate
kitchen remodeling projects.

lasercap-success rate in women     at 4:17 pm

It is suitable for use even on those tender
parts of the body. Vitamin C is found in many foods, notably the citrus group.
Speaking of ball game, do you know that you
can advertise using your bald head.

used fiberglass dock box craigslist     at 2:36 am

It is a very strong line, but it is also very sensitive,
making it a great line when fishing for trout. The options within the area range
from Myall Lakes houseboats, cottages, apartments,
cabins and guests houses, lodges and hotels among many others.
If you are getting ready to go deep-sea fishing, there are a
few things you might want to know about sea fishing bait.